- Item #: i_301305Bottle Size: 750MLJames Suckling: 91JAMES SUCKLING 91 POINTS
90% Sangiovese, 10% Merlot and Syrah - The wine is ruby red in color with aromas of ripe red fruit and well amalgamated notes of vanilla and coffee. The palate enjoys a notable support from the acidity, which maintains a pleasurable freshness and persistence of flavor along with soft and sweet tannins which guarantee excellent drinkability.
- Item #: i_301561Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 94WINE SPECTATOR 94 POINTS - "Exotic aromas of rose, peony, raspberry and kirsch are shaded by juniper, wild thyme and tar accents. This is an elegant red, firmly structured yet balanced and long, with a persistent, detailed finish. Best from 2022 through 2036. 1,080 cases made."
- Item #: i_301177Bottle Size: 750ml'Bricco Blina' is the name of the vineyard. This wine is a direct, straightforward rendition of the Barbera grape. Fresh acidity and berry flavors are the hallmarks of Barbera, but low yields and old vines give this wine very good depth and concentration, too. Fermentation and aging are completed in stainless steel.
The wine is a bright red color with a violet rim; aroma of red berries and mineral; palate is classic Barbera, bright raspberry/cranberry flavors with a very long finish. A classic that is wonderful with a variey of foods. Pizza, pasta, meats, cheeses...
- Item #: i_381401Bottle Size: 750mlMerlot, Cabernet Sauvignon and Franc
This is a ripe and moderately rich coastal Tuscan red, with enough extract to give a little velvety texture and structure. Driven by fruit (like plum, black cherry, and blackberry macerated in spirits), dried herbs, and a touch of vanilla from the year in oak. The finish gives you some pleasantly ripe fruit skins. A good wine for drinking on its own or partnering with moderately rich dishes.
This estate has been bringing us incredible value since the 90's with the help of the late legendary winemaker of Ornellaia, Tibor Gal, who assisted them in the start of their own winery. The Pellegrini estates include vineyards in some of the most reputable spots in Bolgheri. The home to some of the most well-known Super Tuscans in the world including the highly regarded, Sassicaia. The one place where Bordeaux varietals take precedence over any native Italian grape.
The Pellegrini family have been grape growers for many generations and have sold their grapes to some of the Top Super Tuscan houses for many years. Their property, Casavecchia, is adjacent to the highly regarded Ornellaia and shares many attributes of its more famous neighbor. Somehow, even in this high rent district, Aia Vecchia has brought us an affordable interpretation of this fantastic Mediterranean climate location. This fantastic Super Tuscan is drinking exceptionally well right now!
- Item #: i_303649Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94Wine Spectator: 95WINE SPECTATOR 95 POINTS - "Camphor and leather notes introduce this rich red that transitions to cherry, licorice, spice and tobacco flavors. It's firm and intense, with a lingering aftertaste of mineral, licorice and spice. Terrific now, but even better with time. Best from 2021 through 2042." 400 cases made.
WINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS - "The 2013 Barolo Bussia Colonnello is the most ethereal and delicate of the Bussia series of wines. Fruit is sourced from a portion of the Bussia vineyard that is located closer to the village of Barolo (one kilometer away) than it is the village of Monforte d'Alba (five kilometers away). The sandy soils found here make for softer and tamer tannins especially when compared to the other parts of Bussia. The bouquet opens to aromas of blue flowers, spice, wild berry, licorice and white truffle. This is a softly nuanced and finessed Barolo made with fruit from 45-year-old vines."
The Conterno family has been making wine since the 1700’s and Aldo Conterno is regarded as one of the greatest producers of Piedmont. As a young man, Aldo worked with his brother, Giovanni before striking out on his own in 1969. He developed a reputation as an innovator with a focus on quality and attention to detail and passed this dynamism on to his three sons who now run the business.
Aldo’s small property on the hill of Bussia in Monforte D’Alba has grown into a marvelous 25 hectare estate. The Aldo Conterno Barolo’s are intense and concentrated examples of perfectly ripened Nebbiolo grapes from superior terroirs, grown at a gentle altitude that allows for optimum finesse. The three top ‘Crus’ on the famed Bussia slope produce the three flagship Barolos of the estate.
- Item #: i_303990Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93Wine Spectator: 94The Conterno family has been making wine since the 1700’s and Aldo Conterno is regarded as one of the greatest producers of Piedmont. As a young man, Aldo worked with his brother, Giovanni before striking out on his own in 1969. He developed a reputation as an innovator with a focus on quality and attention to detail and passed this dynamism on to his three sons who now run the business.
Aldo’s small property on the hill of Bussia in Monforte D’Alba has grown into a marvelous 25 hectare estate. The Aldo Conterno Barolo’s are intense and concentrated examples of perfectly ripened Nebbiolo grapes from superior terroirs, grown at a gentle altitude that allows for optimum finesse. The three top 'Crus' on the famed Bussia slope produce the three flagship Barolos of the estate.
Radiant and succulent red and blue fruits, new saddle leather, cigar wrapper, violet petals, baking spices and loam waft from the glass of this spellbinding ’13 Barolo Bussia. This wine shows impeccable balance, unfurling on the palate with energy and focus to reveal a seamless structure and silky texture.
While you’ll want to drink this wine right away, time in the cellar will make it more harmonious and refined. Once simply Aldo Conterno Barolo and now called Barolo Bussia, this entry-level Barolo from Aldo Conterno has garnered a reputation for being a generous, open, genial wine; it’s a perennial IWM client favorite. Deriving from 12 acres of plots in Bussia Soprano with vines aging between 35 and 40 years, the carefully selected grapes ferment for thirty days, and the wine ages for 27 months in cask, followed by twelve months in bottle before release.
WINE SPECTATOR 94 POINTS - "A fragrant style, offering rose, cherry, earth, mineral and cumin aromas and flavors. Young and tense, yet shows fine potential, with complex flavors, good structure and a long aftertaste. Best from 2023 through 2040."
WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "It may be a so-called entry level Barolo, but the 2013 Barolo Bussia definitely delivers the goods. Fruit is sourced from three separate points within the larger Bussia cru. These sites are characterized by clay soils with southeast exposures and approximately 25-year-old vines. The quality of fruit is very intense and defined with dark cherry and dried blackberry. Yet the mouthfeel is ethereal, light and buoyant. Keeping in line with the vintage, the tannins are firm and slightly rigid. However, they are well absorbed by the exuberant nature of the fruit. The wine's personality is reminiscent of the Barolo Bussia Cicala."
- Item #: i_302567Bottle Size: 750mlWINERY NOTES - The grapes used to make “ Il Favot” come from vineyards which have undergone periodical implantations, and so have a maximum age of 15 years. The skin contact is limited to 6-8 days so to extract few tannins and more colour from the skins themselves, with the result of getting a well-coloured wine with a remarkable softness.
- Item #: i_301690Bottle Size: 750mlWhen sipping Aldo Conterno's Barbera one word that comes to mind is delicious. Inky purple in the glass and silky smooth on the palate, this wine is deeply tasty, very complex and thoroughly enjoyable. On the palate it is concentrated and full-bodied. Promiment flavours are blackberries, savoury spice and nutmeg blended with ripe plums and supple tannis. Long, elegant finish.
- Item #: i_345926Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93Decanter: 93 PointsWINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "...one of Italy's most unique wines. This is a pure expression of the Corvina Veronese variety, the chief component of Amarone wines made according to the appassimento process. La Poja allows this finicky grape to sing solo with some 20 months in new barrique followed by eight months in the bottle. The results are outstanding with pristine cherry and blackberry followed by spice, leather and tar."
DECANTER 93 POINTS - "clove aroma, elegance over power due to the mild vintage which lacked excessive heat during maturation. This result is an intense, aromatic nose of cherry-liqueur, chocolate, along with a touch of Indian spice and sweet tobacco. Medium bodied with oaky tannins and refreshing acidity. Drinking Window 2018 - 2025."
On the top of the hill called La Grola lies a plateau of less than 3 hectares dazzling white in color, due to tis calcareous top soil, and planted exclusively with Corvina since the late 1970's. After more than four years of bottle aging, the 2012 La Poja shows extraordinarily vivacity with a full spectrum of fresh-picked fruit and baking spice characteristics with subtle herbal elements.
It take 2 vines to make 1 bottle of wine.
- Item #: i_302461Bottle Size: 750MLWine Enthusiast: 90 PointsWINE ENTHUSIAST 90 POINTS - "Forest floor, mature plum, menthol and exotic spice aromas lift out of the glass. On the smooth, savory palate, fine-grained tannins wrap around dried cherry, prune and star anise. "
The Allegrini estate is based in the Valpolicella region of Italy and represents the highest expression of Valpolicella wines. Gambero Rosso, Italy's most important food and wine publication, rated Allegrini a Star winery with over ten Tre Bicchieri ("Three Glasses"-- their top recognition) awards. Palazzo Della Torre is a “Cru” wine coming from a single vineyard. The blend of 70% Corvina, 25% Rondinella and 5% Sangiovese takes two different paths. Thirty percent of the grapes are left to dry on racks till December, in true Amarone style, and the other seventy percent vinified immediately.
The fresh wine is blended with the juice from the dried grapes for a second fermentation and the end result is an absolute sexy wine, deep in ruby red color, with flavors of blackberries and mocha.
- Item #: i_302636Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96+PRACTICING ORGANIC
WINE ADVOCATE 96+ POINTS - "This was the last Barolo we tasted in Altare's lineup, organized by increasing measure of intensity and power, and boy what a treat it was. Harvested from this vineyard in Serralunga d'Alba on October 11, the 2013 Barolo Riserva Cerretta shows a lot of freshness and boldness. This is a gorgeous wine, tight, light and streamlined. It shows generous volume. The wine ends with lasting notes of earth, iron rust and dusty marble. The tannins are solid and complete. Great job!"
- Item #: i_301719Bottle Size: 750mlPRACTICING ORGANIC
Using modern techniques, this is a fairly accessible Barolo in its youth. Along with noticeable French oak aromas (like cedar & cinnamon) come delicate rose & violet, and ripe red fruits. On the palate, there is an elegance in texture, with vibrant acidity and plentiful velvet tannin, and a swirling mix of fruit and spice. The finish is firm and dry, with the apparent sweetness of oak and fruit persisting for a long finish. A modern and classy Barolo that will be even better in 2023.
Arborina is a vineyard in the Barolo zone of La Morra.
- Item #: i_302635Bottle Size: 750mlPRACTICING ORGANIC
ANTONIO GALLONI; VINOUS 95 POINTS - "The 2015 Barolo Cannubi is another stellar wine in this range. One of the more closed wines in the lineup, the Cannubi is going to need the better part of a decade to start coming into its own. Today, it is dense, powerful and full of energy, and yet there is a purity to the fruit that represents the purest essence of what Cannubi is all about. There is certainly a lot to look forward to here."
- Item #: i_301289Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 90WINE SPECTATOR 90 POINTS - Intense aromas and flavors of cherry, blueberry, graphite and spice mark this solid red. Dense without being overly tannic, with a balanced finish. Sangiovese, Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot.
- Item #: i_301319Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 92James Suckling: 92WINE SPECTATOR 92 POINTS - "This rich, vibrant red is packed with plum, black cherry and wild thyme flavors, with well-integrated tannins. Flashes of earth, leather and iron segue into the long, fruit-filled aftertaste."
JAMES SUCKLING 92 POINTS - "A soft and delicious merlot with berry, meat and walnut aromas. Hints of chocolate. Medium body, fine tannins and a delicious, juicy finish."
The nose of the wine shows intense notes of plum, cherry, and raspberry in addition to wild berry fruits and spices. The palate is distinguished by its roundness and amplitude. On the palate it has great depth and is characterized by a long finish and an aftertaste bursting with fruit. A very serious Merlot!!!
- Item #: i_301591Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 100James Suckling: 100JAMES SUCKLING 100 POINTS - "Speechless here. I thought the 2015 was already perfect but this is perfect, too. But in a different way. It is so structured and multidimensional. Full-bodied, powerful and intense with incredible tannin backbone and depth. The dark-berry, wet-earth, oyster-shell and mushroom flavors are phenomenal. 20% less production than 2015. Give it four or five years to come together. Try after 2025."
WINE ADVOCATE 100 POINTS - "I fussed over scoring this wine more than I'd like to admit—tasting through three samples under different conditions at various intervals and testing my impressions blind against wines in its peer group. Most importantly, I tasted this 2016 vintage against the 2015 vintage over and over again. I confess to a few nights of restless sleep as a result. Ultimately, my decision to award 100 points to the 2016 Solaia came on impulse and with the most natural sense of purpose. I had also given the 2015 vintage a perfect score, and intellectually, it seemed impossible not to pick a favorite among these two stunning expressions. I will also state, outright, that the wines are very different, principally because the 2015 vintage shows more overall opulence and sweetness that extends to the pronounced textural richness of the mouthfeel. The 2016 vintage, on the other hand, is more chiseled and sharp with mineral shadings of campfire ash and graphite at the rim of its dark fruit. The mouthfeel is more streamlined and tight at its core, suggesting that the wine will unfold and soften beautifully with time. I feel like 2015 is the Dolce & Gabbana of the situation and the 2016 is the Armani Privé. The personalities of the two wines are distinct, yet my admiration for each is identical."
ANTONIO GALLONI; VINOUS 99 POINTS - "Like Tignanello, the 2016 Solaia is a wine of extraordinary nuance and finesse. Super-ripe blackberry, plum jam, espresso, menthol, licorice and sweet spice build as the sublime 2016 shows off its personality and breeding. The 2016 somehow manages to be incredibly deep and also light on its feet. Sweet floral and spice notes add the closing shades of nuance to an exotic, beguilingly beautiful Solaia endowed with an eternal finish and mind-blowing beauty. The 2016 is an epic Solaia. That's all there is to it."
- Item #: i_302679Bottle Size: 750mlJames Suckling: 99JAMES SUCKLING 99 POINTS - "This is big and powerful, without being ripe and heavy. So much apple, stone, and hints of toffee. Aromatic. Full-bodied, layered and framed with phenolic tension and a great finish. Muscular and agile at the same time. One of the best I have tasted."
- Item #: i_305984Bottle Size: 750mlThe Orvieto Classico Superiore "San Giovanni della Sala" in Castello della Sala Antinori is a fresh and balanced white Umbrian wine based on Grechetto, Procanico, Pinot Bianco and Viognier, aged for a short period in steel tanks. It expresses an elegant and delicate personality, with aromas of yellow peaches, pineapples and mixed flowers that flow into a balanced, savory and persistent mouthfeel.
- Item #: i_301022Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94WINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS - "The 2015 Chianti Classico Gran Selezione Badia a Passignano is a pure expression of Sangiovese. Fruit is sourced from the San Donato area of the appellation that is not an official subzone yet but is increasingly emerging as such. This wine is distinguished by a beautiful level of openness and softness (on the Sangiovese spectrum, which means you also get a bright dose of acidity). That softness or lushness comes in part due to the warm vintage but also thanks to the winemaking approach that relies on larger barrels (from 300 to 500 liters) and Hungarian oak that tends to be more porous and thickly textured for increased passage of oxygen. The wine offers beautiful balance between its dark fruit and savory spice comments. This Chianti Classico Gran Selezione was not produced in 2014." - Monica Larner (6th Sep 2018)
- Item #: i_302497Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96WINE ADVOCATE 96 POINTS - "The 2015 Matarocchio (all Cabernet Franc) is a gorgeous wine, but it does not reach the stunning heights achieved in the knock-out 2013 vintage. This wine was not produced in 2014, and only 5,000 bottles were made in this vintage. Compared to the 2013 edition, this wine appears to have a slightly smaller aromatic range. This gives it a very focused and direct approach. In other words, this vintage is more vertical than it is horizontal in its delivery. The tannins are a more evident here and more nervous or crunchy. The wine is composed of deep, dark and penetrating fruit, with bitter chocolate and savory tobacco. It also shows a salty mineral note that makes your mouth salivate."
- Item #: i_305878Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 97Just in this week, the 2016 Tignanello from the Antinori family is a wonderful follow-up to the previous vintage! This is one of the wines that launched the famous "Super-Tuscan" movement by pairing Sangiovese with Cabernets Sauvignon and Franc and aging in smaller French oak barrels, making Italian wines that could go head-to-head with the greats of Bordeaux and Napa Valley. Seeing the previous vintage sell out quickly, we think it's only fair to alert you now: The 2016 version is once again poised to be an international hit!
This is such a polished wine, already so enjoyable! There are elegant aromas of concentrated, ripe dark fruits (like blackberry and black cherry compote) interwoven with subtle earthy balsam and fresh herbal hints. The palate walks a thin line between baked and fresh fruit, with the gently herbal & savory counterpoints creating flavor balance. The French oak is finely integrated already, adding to an appetizing chewiness along with a layer of dark cocoa and a brooding hint of charred fruit on the finish. This is such a drinkable wine already thanks to the velvet texture and seamless integration of all its components; it's one of those wines that's deceiving in its complexity, pulling it off so effortlessly. What's more, the complexity will only grow as the ample fruit peels back over the years!
WINE ADVOCATE 97 POINTS - "To hit the market in June, the 2016 Tignanello is a rock-solid wine and a stunning beauty. The wine offers an impeccable level of precision and laser-focus delivery of fruits, spices, tilled earth, espresso beans and Mediterranean herbs. This vintage follows the classic blending formula of 80% Sangiovese with about 13% Cabernet Sauvignon and 7% Cabernet Franc. The vines are now 15 to 20 years old. Compared to the 2015 vintage that ultimately appeared more chewy and succulent, this expression from the iconic 2016 vintage is more vibrant, nervous and jazzed. It shows more savory spice, saltiness and minerality, with a beautifully integrated quality of tannins. Some 320,000 bottles were produced. This wine is at the top of the list of some of the best Tignanello ever made, including the vintages 2007, 2009, 2010, 2013 and 2015."