- Item #: i_352686Bottle Size: 750ml100% Savagnin from 40 year old vines grown on blue marl/clay/limestone soil. Aged in large wooden vats for 18 months. Ouillé. This cuvée shares a name with J-F's winemaking sidekick, the family Weimaraner. Unlike the dog, this is redolent of yellow plums, sea salt, honey, and white pepper.
- Item #: i_352674Bottle Size: 750mlBIODYNAMIC
Aged 24 months on fine lees in foudre
Jean-François creates a stunning number of cuvées, ranging between thirty-five and forty every year! His methodology goes far beyond the details of the average vigneron. For some, his process would be maddening, as each cuvée calls for a highly individualized élévage. Jean-François is committed to minute doses of sulfur, so low in fact, that many fear it hurting the wines during transport. He curbs this issue entirely by aging many of his whites on the lees for extended periods of time, anywhere from two to eleven years! In all of his years making wine, he has never had a problem. In the Jura, many of the wines go through a traditional, intentional oxidation; however Jean-François aims to lend a greater lightness and elegance to wines of this style than are typical. He gravitates toward the Burgundian style, using ouillage to top off barrels. Jean-François Ganevat is a master of his craft, one of the true magicians of the eclectic. To say that his grapes are spun into gold would not be far from the truth; they are entirely otherworldly.
- Item #: i_352678Bottle Size: 750mlGanevat is one of the Jura's star producers The winemaking is pretty natural, and no sulfur dioxide has been used during vinification since 2006, with just small additions to Florine and Les Billats at bottling. The whites spend a long time on lees and are aged for extended periods in barrel and amphora. Typically, more than 30 cuvées are released each vintage. Based in the hamlet of La Combe, Jean-François is making some incredible Jura wines from recently-certified (Demeter) biodynamic vineyards. In 1998 he returned to the family domaine after a period spent working in Burgundy, with Jean-Marc Morey. These wines are naturally made, with the reds receiving no sulfur dioxide additions, and the whites only a tiny amount. These are true terroir wines, and they are thrilling – especially the remarkable Savagnin.
- Item #: i_333545Bottle Size: 750MLThe de Villaines farm three appellations within the Côte Chalonaise, namely Bouzeron (Aligoté), Rully (Chardonnay) and Mercurey (Pinot Noir). Their single-vineyard parcels are stunning examples of what this complex and amazing terroir can yield. Though their wines are quite enjoyable young, their ability to age well is what one might expect from a master such as de Villaine. Much of this is due to both the diversity of his vinestock and his organic and biodynamic methodology in the vineyards, both of which Aubert stands by with great conviction. He also ferments his Mercureys in wood cuves, a style adopted from DRC.
- Item #: i_345449Bottle Size: 750MLAubert de Villaine may be more famous for managing the legendary estate of Domaine de la Romanée Conti (DRC) but his passion for producing exemplary Pinot Noir, Chardonnay, and Aligoté does not begin and end with the wines from the Cote de Beaune. Truth be told, his true winemaking love lies south of those world renowned vineyards in the Cote Chalonaise district, one of Burgundy's best-kept secrets. The greatness of Aubert's wines cannot be overstated. They are among the finest that the region has to offer and are the ultimate expression of Pinot Noir and Chardonnay. His innovative approach to winemaking spans the pages of time, incorporating tradition with a modernist’s mastery for precision and truth. Designed for immediate consumption or moderate to long-term aging, the red and white wines from Aubert's Maconnais vineyards are a must-have for anyone who is passionate about the wines of Burgundy.
- Item #: i_345448Bottle Size: 750MLBIODYNAMIC
Mercurey Les Montots is a powerful wine with aromas of dark fruit followed by subtle animal and spicy notes. The palate is rich and elegant. The wine’s distinct acidity lends it a very drinkable quality and evokes fruits of the forest. This wine can be enjoyed after between two and eight years.
Les Montots is situated on fairly steep slope with southern exposure, planted with a selection of Pinot Noir vines from Nuits-Saint-Georges chosen for teir aromatic qualities and moderate yield. Les Montots is a Mercurey of its own kind, structured and viforous, deep with a dark ruby color.
- Item #: i_345447Bottle Size: 750MLThe richest white Burgundy in the de Villaine stable, this Rully is an exercise in balance. Hazelnut and quince paste greet the nose, followed by a dense mouthful of ripe, succulent yellow fruits. Despite its voluptuousness, the wine is dry, fresh, very stony, and even salty—mouthwateringly delicious. This vintage is magnificent for Les Saint-Jacques, and ample proof of the high quality of terroir in this southern stronghold of Burgundy. The fact that it isn’t premier cru, well, that’s proof of a talented grower, because it sure does taste like it. —Dixon Brooke
- Item #: i_322611Bottle Size: 750MLWINE ADVOCATE 90 POINTS - "The 2017 Bourgogne Côte Chalonnaise La Digoine opens in the glass with a reserved bouquet of smoky blackberries, raspberries and bay leaf, followed by a medium to full-bodied, fleshy and supple palate that's open and charming, concluding with a spice-inflected finish."
Winemaker's Notes "La Digoine is a site at the foot of a slope, known for centuries to provide the deep soil and growing conditions necessary for excellent red wine. Our vineyard here is planted in moderate-yield Pinot Noir. La Digoine can be drunk very young. Within two or three months of bottling, it demonstrates immediate appeal with red berry fruit and a balance of roundness, structure, and lenght on the palate.
However, this is another versatil wine which benefits from bottle aging. After 18 to 24 months, slow maturation and evolution begin to make their mark, and La Digoine will improve over the next ten year, revealing the deep, complex aromas worthy of a great burgundy. Depending on cellar conditions, we recommanded twelve to fifteen years of aging.
Serving temperature for a young La Digoine should be around 60°F, and around 64°F for an older one. It goes well with red meat and any of a variety of cheeses, though soft cheeses like Camembert, Brie, and Vacherin should be avoided."
- Item #: i_311377Bottle Size: 750MLWinemaker's Notes - "Our Bouzeron comes from vines situated on the best slopes of the appellations. We have planted the golden Aligoté doré grape, which gives lowers yield and more aromatic wines than its cousin, the Aligoté vert. True to its varietal nature, our Bouzeron is a liveley, fruity wine, but it also has a finesse and roundness that spring from the essential nature of the terroir. These qualities lend it great versatility. To best appreciate the freshness and fruit, it would be drunk young, within two or three years. To allow the wine to fully develop fullness and "fatness", age it for up to ten years. It should be served chilled, at about 54°F, as an apéritif, with seafood, or with a number of cheeses (goat cheese, Cantal, Beaufort, Parmesan, Roquefort, etc."
- Item #: i_333925Bottle Size: 750MLCERTIFIED BIODYNAMIC
This cuvée is planted in the decomposed granite terroir of Ajaccio in southwestern Corsica and is named for vigneron Jean-Charles Abbatucci’s daughter. He left the appellation of Ajaccio a number of years ago, because they refused to evolve their laws to accommodate the ancient grape varieties he had planted that were native to Corsica and pre-date the appellation system itself! In the 2017 vintage his Sciaccarello vines produced less, and there is a touch of Carcajolo Nero in the blend, along with Nielluccio (his father’s spelling for these grapes!). This medium-bodied red is a stunner with intense aromas of the local myrte that grows wild on this part of the island, great freshness, energy, and crunch, and the type of versatility that can accompany fish or meat and everything in between.
- Item #: i_379709Bottle Size: 750MLJOHN GILMAN VIEW FROM THE CELLAR 92 POINTS-"It had been a few years since I last tasted a bottle of Agrapart’s lovely “Les 7 Crus” cuvée. The wine is really lovely, offering up a pure and complex bouquet of apple, tart pear, chalky minerality, citrus zest and fresh-baked bread. On the palate the wine is deep, full-bodied, focused and complex, with a lovely core, elegant mousse, fine focus and a very long, zesty and perfectly balanced finish. This is one lower dosage bottling that is drinking with style and grace in its youth. 2016-2030."
- Item #: i_376417Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 93The Avizoise is made from Les Robards and Voie d'Epernay, fermented in neutral 600-liter barrels and bottled with four grams of dosage.
- Item #: i_375800Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 93PETER LEIM 1+ STARS-"It’s dark and stony on both the nose and palate, de-emphasizing its fruit flavors, yet it avoids the vegetal character typical of the vintage, instead feeling savory and strongly chalky even to the point of bitterness, albeit in an appealing way. It grows in intensity the farther back it moves on the palate, finishing with harmony and length. This is excellent, and it will be fascinating to see how it evolves with further aging. Last tasted: 2/18
- Item #: i_350312Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93+WINE ADVOCATE 93 + POINTS: "The 2016 Lirac Domaine du Clos de Sixte is a terrific wine, easily the rival to many Châteauneufs from across the river, starting with its alluring aromas of flowering garrigue and ripe cherries. A blend of 50% Grenache, 35% Syrah and 15% Mourvèdre, this full-bodied wine is lush and concentrated on the palate, then turns velvety on the long finish. I'd treat it like a Châteauneuf du Pape in terms of cellaring: hold it for a few years, then drink it over the next 15. - Joe Czerwinski" - Robert Parker's Wine Advocate (Issue 233, October 2017), 93+ pts
Alain Jaume Domaine du Clos de Sixte Lirac is made from 50% Grenache, 35% Syrah, 15% Mourvedre
- Item #: i_345737Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 96eROBERT PARKER 96 POINTS: "Only produced in top vintages (this is the first since 2012), the 2015 Cornas Vieilles Fontaines comes from 80-year-old vines within the La Fontaine lieu-dit. It's a tough wine to evaluate at this stage, as it's quite closed and reticent on the nose, showing some crushed-stone notes and typical granite-based austerity, but on the palate it shows great purity of fruit and vigor. It's full-bodied but tight-laced, focused on driving through the long finish like a thoroughbred down the stretch. Give it at least 5 years in the cellar"
- Item #: i_351957Bottle Size: 750mlDry Muscat, from one of Alsace’s most historic estates. Akin to riding a unicorn through a rainbow in an enchanted field of blossoming wildflowers. Like biting into all the juiciest fruits in the world—at once. And then that clean, mouthwatering, dry finish . . . This is not just Muscat, it is Boxler’s Muscat sec. Give it a try.
- Item #: i_333928Bottle Size: 750MLThe small family domaine in France that works traditionally using techniques and savoir faire passed down across multiple generations is under serious threat today. Consolidation, technology, regulation, foreign investment, globalization, and many other factors (all in the name of progress), threaten the great agricultural tradition of winegrowing in France, arguably the world’s greatest winegrowing culture. Few domaines in France embody this way of life more ably and proudly than Domaine Albert Boxler in Niedermorschwihr. Jean Boxler, many generations removed from his ancestor of the same name that moved here from Switzerland in 1673, currently rules the roost at this humble yet incredibly exciting domaine. Intense and serious about his land, his craft, and his wine, Jean is the genius behind what are certainly some of the finest white wines in Alsace (and the world).
- Item #: i_350399Bottle Size: 750ml#51 WINE ENTHUSIAST TOP 100 of 2018
WINE ENTHUSIAST 93 POINTS - "A single vineyard offering from selected parcels in the La Moussiere vineyard. Certified biodynamic. 7-8 months on fine lees after fermentation, prior to bottling. This wine comes from Mellot's home domaine of La Moussière, It is young and intense, with a mix of spice, concentrated citrus and crisp acidity. The depth of flavor in this wine is extraordinary and merits aging. Drink from 2020."
- Item #: i_351368Bottle Size: 750mlCertified Organic (Ecocert)
This cuvee is called Cote 50 deriving from a Roman term meaning 50 metres above the river) From vines averaging 30 to 35 years old, on mostly sandy slopes situated closer to the town of Bourgueil. Made from yields around 30hl/ha the alcoholic fermentation is done in open tanks with gentle plunging. Aged in large specially designed large wooden tanks for 12 months, this wine is notable for its freshness and perfume and has very fine tannins well covered with admirable flesh coming from fully ripe fruit.
- Item #: i_378941Bottle Size: 750mlJacques Beaufort has long been one of our Champagne hero's. Back in the early 1970's Jacques was virtually alone leading the charge against the use of chemicals and herbicides and he has now been farming biodynamically for decades. Beaufort's approach to winemaking is equally stripped-down and non-interventionist. Such a strict, natural approach has its obvious risks, and over the years his Champagnes have been a bit "hit or miss" but his hits like this 2010 are often home runs. This is a bright, exuberant (dare we say hedionistic) Champagne that belies it Brut Zero configuration. The 2010 Andre Beaufort presents a delicate mousse and persistent bubbles, greeting your nose with pear, herbs de Provence and toasted hazelnuts. Expressive in character and bold on the palate, it culminates with a fine, zippy finish.
- Item #: i_376772Bottle Size: 750mlWINE ADVOCATE 90 POINTS-"Unfortunately I was only able to taste one new release from Andre Clouet this year. The NV Brut Grande Reserve emerges from the glass with layers of hazelnut, pear, spice and dried flower aromas. This rich, creamy wine impresses for its balance and sheer richness. I loved it. This is Lot L06. Anticipated maturity: 2011-2014."(11/11)
Fashioned from 100% Bouzy and Ambonnay Pinot Noir form the 2009 and 2008 vintages with 30% of the base wine fermented in used Sauterenes barrels. The bouquet is open airy with inviting sourdough, yellow plum, citrus and Macintosh apple notes. This is a concentrated, but not at all ponderous, Champagne with a palate that features appetizing summer and citrus fruits seamlessly wedded to oak derived notions of honey, toast and brown spices. The low (6g/l) dosage works well here to keep everything lively while also letting Champagnes chalk and soil character to come to the fore. This intricately crafted Brut beautifully marries power and poise in way that one seldom finds at this low price point.
- Item #: i_376767Bottle Size: 750mlTHE CHAMPAGNE GUIDE 95 POINTS - "I say 10% of the blend is from my blood!' declares Jean-Francois Clouet, who has changed the style of his family's rose to a fresher and more direct mood, not so soft, aiming for the lively impression of malic acidity, even though it goes through full malolactic fermentation. The result is arose that epitomises elegance and focus, in the midst of generous red fruits that characterise Bouzy and Ambonnay. This cuvee encapsulates the wonderful talent of Pinot Noir to build and rise on the finish, opening to wonderful characters of perfumed rosehip, pink pepper and pomegrate. An undercurrent of fine, chalk mineral texture, accurate line and persevering length define a pristine and enticingly priced rose."
- Item #: i_374622Bottle Size: 750mlWINERY NOTES - "Generous and plentiful foam, with numerous strings of tiny bubbles. The nose is very powerful, dominated by aromas of fruits in pastry, stewed apricot, with frank notes of sugared almond. Slight notes of pepper and aniseed. On the palate, the feeling is very ample and long, with remaining pastry feeling, ending on a spicy note."
A rich yet subtle blend ot 75% Pinot Noir and 25% Chardonnay all sourced from the firm's plantings in the Grand Cru village of Ay. The blend is based on the 2013 vintage with 20% cask aged reserve wines. The wine as given a dosage of 9 grams per liter after aging on the yeast for 15 to 18 months.