- Item #: i_322274Bottle Size: 750mlWith a forward nose of vivid fruits, from gooseberry to white peach and white grapefruit, melded with a touch of river water, lanolin and nougat, the palate on 1749 continued and expanded on the initial fruit-laden theme. Sweet yet almost tart, notes of star fruit, more gooseberry and white grapefruit merged with a lush mouthfeel, counterbalanced by good acidity to keep it clean and buoyant. Hints of apricots, orange blossoms and clover honey furthered the delicious depth on the palate. The finish is fresh and quick but with a lingering fruit essence and mixed floral touch that reverberates nicely.
This wine is perfect for the warm weather we’ve been having and has a classic Loire Valley profile with a nice dollop of New Zealand-esque citrus-- it’s balanced, clean, fresh, uplifting and clearly a worthy Hi-Time Wine of the Month. Enjoy!
- Item #: i_333545Bottle Size: 750MLThe de Villaines farm three appellations within the Côte Chalonaise, namely Bouzeron (Aligoté), Rully (Chardonnay) and Mercurey (Pinot Noir). Their single-vineyard parcels are stunning examples of what this complex and amazing terroir can yield. Though their wines are quite enjoyable young, their ability to age well is what one might expect from a master such as de Villaine. Much of this is due to both the diversity of his vinestock and his organic and biodynamic methodology in the vineyards, both of which Aubert stands by with great conviction. He also ferments his Mercureys in wood cuves, a style adopted from DRC.
- Item #: i_345449Bottle Size: 750MLAubert de Villaine may be more famous for managing the legendary estate of Domaine de la Romanée Conti (DRC) but his passion for producing exemplary Pinot Noir, Chardonnay, and Aligoté does not begin and end with the wines from the Cote de Beaune. Truth be told, his true winemaking love lies south of those world renowned vineyards in the Cote Chalonaise district, one of Burgundy's best-kept secrets. The greatness of Aubert's wines cannot be overstated. They are among the finest that the region has to offer and are the ultimate expression of Pinot Noir and Chardonnay. His innovative approach to winemaking spans the pages of time, incorporating tradition with a modernist’s mastery for precision and truth. Designed for immediate consumption or moderate to long-term aging, the red and white wines from Aubert's Maconnais vineyards are a must-have for anyone who is passionate about the wines of Burgundy.
- Item #: i_345448Bottle Size: 750MLBIODYNAMIC
Mercurey Les Montots is a powerful wine with aromas of dark fruit followed by subtle animal and spicy notes. The palate is rich and elegant. The wine’s distinct acidity lends it a very drinkable quality and evokes fruits of the forest. This wine can be enjoyed after between two and eight years.
Les Montots is situated on fairly steep slope with southern exposure, planted with a selection of Pinot Noir vines from Nuits-Saint-Georges chosen for teir aromatic qualities and moderate yield. Les Montots is a Mercurey of its own kind, structured and viforous, deep with a dark ruby color.
- Item #: i_345447Bottle Size: 750MLThe richest white Burgundy in the de Villaine stable, this Rully is an exercise in balance. Hazelnut and quince paste greet the nose, followed by a dense mouthful of ripe, succulent yellow fruits. Despite its voluptuousness, the wine is dry, fresh, very stony, and even salty—mouthwateringly delicious. This vintage is magnificent for Les Saint-Jacques, and ample proof of the high quality of terroir in this southern stronghold of Burgundy. The fact that it isn’t premier cru, well, that’s proof of a talented grower, because it sure does taste like it. —Dixon Brooke
- Item #: i_322611Bottle Size: 750MLWinemaker's Notes "La Digoine is a site at the foot of a slope, known for centuries to provide the deep soil and growing conditions necessary for excellent red wine. Our vineyard here is planted in moderate-yield Pinot Noir. La Digoine can be drunk very young. Within two or three months of bottling, it demonstrates immediate appeal with red berry fruit and a balance of roundness, structure, and lenght on the palate.
However, this is another versatil wine which benefits from bottle aging. After 18 to 24 months, slow maturation and evolution begin to make their mark, and La Digoine will improve over the next ten year, revealing the deep, complex aromas worthy of a great burgundy. Depending on cellar conditions, we recommanded twelve to fifteen years of aging.
Serving temperature for a young La Digoine should be around 60°F, and around 64°F for an older one. It goes well with red meat and any of a variety of cheeses, though soft cheeses like Camembert, Brie, and Vacherin should be avoided."
- Item #: i_311377Bottle Size: 750MLWinemaker's Notes - "Our Bouzeron comes from vines situated on the best slopes of the appellations. We have planted the golden Aligoté doré grape, which gives lowers yield and more aromatic wines than its cousin, the Aligoté vert. True to its varietal nature, our Bouzeron is a liveley, fruity wine, but it also has a finesse and roundness that spring from the essential nature of the terroir. These qualities lend it great versatility. To best appreciate the freshness and fruit, it would be drunk young, within two or three years. To allow the wine to fully develop fullness and "fatness", age it for up to ten years. It should be served chilled, at about 54°F, as an apéritif, with seafood, or with a number of cheeses (goat cheese, Cantal, Beaufort, Parmesan, Roquefort, etc."
- Item #: i_333925Bottle Size: 750MLCERTIFIED BIODYNAMIC
his cuvée is planted in the decomposed granite terroir of Ajaccio in southwestern Corsica and is named for vigneron Jean-Charles Abbatucci’s daughter. He left the appellation of Ajaccio a number of years ago, because they refused to evolve their laws to accommodate the ancient grape varieties he had planted that were native to Corsica and pre-date the appellation system itself! In the 2017 vintage his Sciaccarello vines produced less, and there is a touch of Carcajolo Nero in the blend, along with Nielluccio (his father’s spelling for these grapes!). This medium-bodied red is a stunner with intense aromas of the local myrte that grows wild on this part of the island, great freshness, energy, and crunch, and the type of versatility that can accompany fish or meat and everything in between.
- Item #: i_379709Bottle Size: 750MLJOHN GILMAN VIEW FROM THE CELLAR 92 POINTS-"It had been a few years since I last tasted a bottle of Agrapart’s lovely “Les 7 Crus” cuvée. The wine is really lovely, offering up a pure and complex bouquet of apple, tart pear, chalky minerality, citrus zest and fresh-baked bread. On the palate the wine is deep, full-bodied, focused and complex, with a lovely core, elegant mousse, fine focus and a very long, zesty and perfectly balanced finish. This is one lower dosage bottling that is drinking with style and grace in its youth. 2016-2030."
- Item #: i_376417Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 93The Avizoise is made from Les Robards and Voie d'Epernay, fermented in neutral 600-liter barrels and bottled with four grams of dosage.
- Item #: i_375800Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 93PETER LEIM 1+ STARS-"It’s dark and stony on both the nose and palate, de-emphasizing its fruit flavors, yet it avoids the vegetal character typical of the vintage, instead feeling savory and strongly chalky even to the point of bitterness, albeit in an appealing way. It grows in intensity the farther back it moves on the palate, finishing with harmony and length. This is excellent, and it will be fascinating to see how it evolves with further aging. Last tasted: 2/18
- Item #: i_351682Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93Jeb Dunnuck: 93 PointsWINE ADVOCATE 92 - 94 POINTS - "Looking like a future star, the 2016 Gigondas Terrasses de Montmirail is full-bodied, lush and creamy. Black cherry and vanilla flavors finish with savory tannins, an enticing bit of licorice and no heat at all. Very promising."
- Item #: i_350312Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93+WINE ADVOCATE 93 + POINTS: "The 2016 Lirac Domaine du Clos de Sixte is a terrific wine, easily the rival to many Châteauneufs from across the river, starting with its alluring aromas of flowering garrigue and ripe cherries. A blend of 50% Grenache, 35% Syrah and 15% Mourvèdre, this full-bodied wine is lush and concentrated on the palate, then turns velvety on the long finish. I'd treat it like a Châteauneuf du Pape in terms of cellaring: hold it for a few years, then drink it over the next 15. - Joe Czerwinski" - Robert Parker's Wine Advocate (Issue 233, October 2017), 93+ pts
Alain Jaume Domaine du Clos de Sixte Lirac is made from 50% Grenache, 35% Syrah, 15% Mourvedre
- Item #: i_345737Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 96eROBERT PARKER 96 POINTS: "Only produced in top vintages (this is the first since 2012), the 2015 Cornas Vieilles Fontaines comes from 80-year-old vines within the La Fontaine lieu-dit. It's a tough wine to evaluate at this stage, as it's quite closed and reticent on the nose, showing some crushed-stone notes and typical granite-based austerity, but on the palate it shows great purity of fruit and vigor. It's full-bodied but tight-laced, focused on driving through the long finish like a thoroughbred down the stretch. Give it at least 5 years in the cellar"
- Item #: i_345736Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 91-93Wine Spectator: 95James Suckling: 83Jeb Dunnuck: 92 PointsWINE SPECTATOR 95 POINTS - "An understated style, but focus and you’ll see just how lovely the cassis, cherry and raspberry flavors are, carried by riveting acidity and flecked with notes of powdered white pepper and violet. An iron girder drives the finish, pulling everything along. This is defined by pure, sleek cut. Best from 2020 through 2035.
VINOUS 93 POINTS
WINE ADVOCATE 91 - 93 POINTS
JEB DUNNUCK 92 POINTS
- Item #: i_351957Bottle Size: 750mlDry Muscat, from one of Alsace’s most historic estates. Akin to riding a unicorn through a rainbow in an enchanted field of blossoming wildflowers. Like biting into all the juiciest fruits in the world—at once. And then that clean, mouthwatering, dry finish . . . This is not just Muscat, it is Boxler’s Muscat sec. Give it a try.
- Item #: i_333928Bottle Size: 750MLThe small family domaine in France that works traditionally using techniques and savoir faire passed down across multiple generations is under serious threat today. Consolidation, technology, regulation, foreign investment, globalization, and many other factors (all in the name of progress), threaten the great agricultural tradition of winegrowing in France, arguably the world’s greatest winegrowing culture. Few domaines in France embody this way of life more ably and proudly than Domaine Albert Boxler in Niedermorschwihr. Jean Boxler, many generations removed from his ancestor of the same name that moved here from Switzerland in 1673, currently rules the roost at this humble yet incredibly exciting domaine. Intense and serious about his land, his craft, and his wine, Jean is the genius behind what are certainly some of the finest white wines in Alsace (and the world).