Our 3,000 square feet underground temperature-controlled cellar now includes a selection of 10,000+ wines from many different wineries and vintages. This selection represents the world's finest growing regions from such diverse areas as California, Oregon, Washington, France, Italy, Spain, Hungary, Germany, Austria, New Zealand, Australia and Portugal.
- Item #: i_305878Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 97Just in this week, the 2016 Tignanello from the Antinori family is a wonderful follow-up to the previous vintage! This is one of the wines that launched the famous "Super-Tuscan" movement by pairing Sangiovese with Cabernets Sauvignon and Franc and aging in smaller French oak barrels, making Italian wines that could go head-to-head with the greats of Bordeaux and Napa Valley. Seeing the previous vintage sell out quickly, we think it's only fair to alert you now: The 2016 version is once again poised to be an international hit!
This is such a polished wine, already so enjoyable! There are elegant aromas of concentrated, ripe dark fruits (like blackberry and black cherry compote) interwoven with subtle earthy balsam and fresh herbal hints. The palate walks a thin line between baked and fresh fruit, with the gently herbal & savory counterpoints creating flavor balance. The French oak is finely integrated already, adding to an appetizing chewiness along with a layer of dark cocoa and a brooding hint of charred fruit on the finish. This is such a drinkable wine already thanks to the velvet texture and seamless integration of all its components; it's one of those wines that's deceiving in its complexity, pulling it off so effortlessly. What's more, the complexity will only grow as the ample fruit peels back over the years!
WINE ADVOCATE 97 POINTS - "To hit the market in June, the 2016 Tignanello is a rock-solid wine and a stunning beauty. The wine offers an impeccable level of precision and laser-focus delivery of fruits, spices, tilled earth, espresso beans and Mediterranean herbs. This vintage follows the classic blending formula of 80% Sangiovese with about 13% Cabernet Sauvignon and 7% Cabernet Franc. The vines are now 15 to 20 years old. Compared to the 2015 vintage that ultimately appeared more chewy and succulent, this expression from the iconic 2016 vintage is more vibrant, nervous and jazzed. It shows more savory spice, saltiness and minerality, with a beautifully integrated quality of tannins. Some 320,000 bottles were produced. This wine is at the top of the list of some of the best Tignanello ever made, including the vintages 2007, 2009, 2010, 2013 and 2015."
- Item #: i_305321Bottle Size: 750ml80% Nerello Mascalese, 20% Nerello Cappuccio
Benanti is a Hi-Time staple winery, which owes a lot to their minimal-interventionist style, which focuses on an honest expression of the Nerello grapes in this unique terrain.
WINE ENTHUSIAST - "Truffle, crushed mint and red berry aromas mingle with a whiff of wild rose. The aromas carry through to the...racy palate along with white pepper and a citrus note. A hint of oyster shell gives it a tangy finish."
- Item #: i_301755Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96James Suckling: 98JAMES SUCKLING 98 POINTS - "A very beautiful and thoughtful Testamatta with aromas of earth, terra cotta, black tea, and lavender. Full-bodied, very layered and extremely polished with superb, soft tannins. Racy and very long. Muscular and formed but very, very balanced. Gorgeous richness and depth. Shows balance and wonder. Try in 2020."
WINE ADVOCATE 96 POINTS
Bibi Graetz, a respected artist born of Italian and Norwegian parents, started Testmatta (meaning “hot head” in Italian) in the late 90’s just outside of Florence in the renaissance town of Fiesole. At the time his family was faced with losing the lease contracts on some untended old Sangiovese vines that surround his home at the Castello de Vincigliata, or to take the time to recover the vineyard and produce wines. Naturally Bibi saw an artistic opportunity, and chose to begin production with his first vintage in 2000.
Bibi is known for his artwork throughout Europe, and each label is adorned with his personal work.
Testamatta Toscana is his Super Tuscan offering, though breaking a bit with new tradition for Super Tuscans, this wine is 100% Sangiovese. Bibi wanted to see what could be done with Sangiovese with judicious use of new French oak, and the result is the creation of a cult classic. Bibi’s Testamatta Toscana IGT will lay down for quite some time.
- Item #: i_377824Bottle Size: 750mlJames Suckling: 95JAMES SUCKLING 95 POINTS - "Aromas of spices, smoke, berries and bark follow through to a medium body, medium round tannins and a wonderful finish. Love the finish of this, which gives a hint of walnuts, dark tea and ripe fruit. Very sophisticated. A blend of Malbec and Cabernet Sauvignon."
Bodegas Caro was born of an alliance between two wine cultures, (French and Argentine), two noble grape varieties, (Cabernet Sauvignon and Malbec), and two royal families of winemaking, (Domaines Barons de Rothschild (Lafite) and Nicolas Catena.) The name of the winery, Bodegas Caro is a contraction of the two family names, CAtena and ROthschild. Their plan was to produce a wine that would combine their expertise and the signature grapes of each producer. Together, these families have made a wine which delivers immediate gratification and can also be cellared over the mid-term.
Malbec is a powerful, exuberant fruity grape variety that benefits from the structure and elegance given by the Cabernet. These two grape varieties go well together with the whole being greater than the sum of its parts. Bodegas Caro has succeeded in making a wine that is flat-out gorgeous and immensely satisfying.
- Item #: i_383584Bottle Size: 750mlJames Suckling: 95JAMES SUCKLING 95 POINTS - "Impressive fresh, peppery and spicy aromas with dark berries and graphite. The palate has glossy, ripe tannins and an attractive, long, shimmery finish. Full of interest and detail. Saturated with flavor. Drink or hold."
- Item #: i_302873Bottle Size: 750MLJames Suckling: 94JAMES SUCKLING 94 POINTS - "Assertive oak influence that is well-matched to the intense and powerful fruit. The nose is filled with ripe red to black cherries and hints of orange zest. There’s an open weave to the tannins that tightens handsomely into the finish. Shows class. Try from 2023."
- Item #: i_302732Bottle Size: 750mlJames Suckling: 91JAMES SUCKLING 91 POINTS - "Fascinating aromas and flavors of dried fruit, tar and mushrooms follow through to a medium to full body with firm tannins and a juicy finish. Drink or hold."
Azienda Brangero is a new winery in Piedmont, located in Diano d"Alba on the highest part of the hill. Winemaker/owner Marco Barngero acquired a parcel in the famed Monvigliero vineyard, and he makes a spectacular wine from those vines.
- Item #: i_301306Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 90James Suckling: 93Wine Enthusiast: 93 PointsORGANICALLY FARMED & PRACTICING BIODYNAMIC
25% Cabernet Franc, 25% Merlot, 16% Sangiovese, 14% Cabernet Sauvignon, 8% Petit Verdot, 7% Alicante and 6% Syrah.
WINE ENTHUSIAST 93 POINTS - "brawny, masculine aromas of leather, tobacco, cured meat and dark fruit. It feels on the ripe side, with chewy prune and plum flavors that are backed by a textured, velvety finish."
JAMES SUCKLING 93 POINTS - "This is chewy and powerful with a full body and rich, ripe tannins. Lots of dried fruits and spices. Long finish. "
- Item #: i_375422Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 90James Suckling: 92JAMES SUCKLING 92 POINTS - "The nose here is super chalky, showing dried white flowers, sweetly fragrant yeast elements, lemon rind and a little pepper - very pure. The palate has a refined core of quite dry lemon citrus flavor; crunchy, crisp and even, pure and uncluttered. Drink now."
WINE SPECTATOR 90 POINTS - "A streak of smoky mineral underscores the pretty floral, ripe apple and pastry notes of this fresh, open-knit Champagne. A hint of toasted hazelnut rides the fine bead through to the finish. Drink now through 2018."
- Item #: i_322206Bottle Size: 750MLVinous Media: 93-95James Suckling: 96Jeb Dunnuck: 95 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 95 POINTS: "The 2017 Châteauneuf Du Pape checks in as 90% Grenache and the rest 3% each of Mourvèdre, Syrah and Bourboulenc, with a splash of Cinsault, brought up all in tank. It has a deep, layered, powerful yet elegant style as well as notes of black raspberries, crushed violets, blueberries, ground pepper, and earth. With a rounded, sexy texture, no hard edges, fine tannins, and a beautiful finish, it's a fabulous wine in the vintage."
- Item #: i_302269Bottle Size: 750mlDomenico Clerico is one of the most well-respected legends in Barolo and his wines have long been celebrated for their extraordinary richness and striking aromatics. The estate is situated in Monforte d’Alba, right in the heart of Barolo with outstanding vineyard holdings in four of the greatest crus of Monforte: Ginestra, Pajana, Mosconi and Bussia; Baudana in Serralunga.
When Domenico first embarked on his great wine adventure in 1976, his priority was working among the vines, strongly convinced that in order to make great wine one must care for the vineyard with love and dedication. His passion and love for the land resulted in wines of the highest quality and exceptional character.
- Item #: i_380784Bottle Size: 750MLWinemaker Peter Sisseck has already been pushing the limits of top-end Ribera del Duero but has also, for some time, dreamt of capturing the soul of Ribera through a new project named after the twenty-third letter of the Greek alphabet. In 2006, he began working with a select group of growers willing to convert their old vines vineyards into organically- and ultimately biodynamically farmed sites with the goal of unleashing the potential of Ribera by creating the purest expression possible.
- Item #: i_302194Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 97WINE ADVOCATE 97 POINTS - "This vintage is profound and beautiful. The 2016 Cabernet Franc Duemani shows deep layers of fruit, with levels of crunchiness and complexity that make it memorable. The mouthfeel is silky, long and rich. The maturity of the fruit here is perfect. In terms of appearance, the wine is dark and impenetrable. All around, this Duemani is an extremely tight, focused and elegant expression of Cabernet Franc."
Fiercely independent and a man of mesmerizing intensity, Luca D’Attoma is one of the best winemakers in Italy. He consults with multiple clients including Le Macchiole, Tua Rita and Fattoria Le Pupille. Duemani is his personal property and winemaking follows his strict biodynamic philosophy.Azienda Agricola Duemani is the ownership property of superstar winemaker Luca d’Attoma (formerly of Tua Rita, and currently at Le Macchiole, pictured above). This winery is the perfect example of what happens when a world-class enologist finally has the chance to buy his own property. Starting completely from scratch, Luca leveled these rolling hillsides in Riparbella, just next to Bolgheri, and planted his fields mainly with his first love: Cabernet Franc. The passion Luca puts into the wines is obvious, as the project has been entirely organic/ biodynamic from the first day. With no neighboring properties, his vineyards are totally isolated from conventional farming. His vineyard density is unusually high, resulting in fruit of exceptional quality The estate is certified biodynamic by Demeter (http://www.demeter.net). As proponents of the principles of biodynamic farming, the cultivation and care of the vineyard’s soil is of the utmost importance to Luca and Elena. They employ various practices throughout the year to stimulate soil vitality and health which in turn provides beneficial nutrients and oxygen to the vines.
- Item #: i_342366Bottle Size: 750mlJames Suckling: 92WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "El Ixsir (Elixir) is the top wine produced by the Ixsir winery located just outside Batroun, Lebanon. The excellent 2012 is composed of 55% Syrah, 35% Cabernet Sauvignon and 10% Merlot aged 24 months in French oak (50% new). On the nose you find aromas of blackberries, black cherries, red fruits and a hint of woody spice. On the palate silky, lush fruit flavors are balanced with good structure and a long finish. Drinking very well now if decanted, the 2012 will benefit from another year or two in the bottle. The Wine Advocate gave this 92 points praising its Cote Rotie-like style."
- Item #: i_379954Bottle Size: 750MLJames Suckling: 98Wine Enthusiast: 95 PointsJAMES SUCKLING 98 POINTS - "This pinot has an x-factor that sets it apart. There’s an almost peppery edge to the violet, blueberry and red-cherry nose with sappy and earthy elements, as well as roasted game and fragrant baking spices. The palate has a very plush, attractive and fresh array of vibrant and detailed pinot fruit on offer. Long and precise."
WINE ENTHUSIAST 95 POINTS - "Winemaker Larry McKenna's Pinots all possess a signature style, while also being incredibly terroir-expressive. The Kupe is a gorgeous example of this, rippling with waves of raspberry, strawberry and black-cherry fruit, white-pepper spice, crushed rose petals and warm tarmac. The palate is poised and balanced with slinky red fruit, streaks of minerality and fine, granular, powerful tannins. Some French oak shows but should integrate with time. "
Fermented in wooden French cuvees, hand plunged and aged in 50% new French oak barriques for 18 months. It was bottled without fining or filtration, promoting soft mouth feel and texture. The wine was given every priority during its elevation and now shows all the hallmarks of a grand young wine on release in 2016. It is at the vanguard of Pinot noir style in the New World and should age gracefully for up to 10 years. The wine is a true reflection of both Martinborough’s unique terroir and the skills and experience of winemakers Larry McKenna and Huw Kinch.
- Item #: i_301154Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 92James Suckling: 95ORGANICALLY FARMED
JAMES SUCKLING 95 POINTS - "A very fresh 2017 with plenty of tight and linear tannins that give the wine energy and drive. Medium to full body. Racy finish. This is impressive. Fantastic texture and complexity on the palate with purple fruit and wet earth."
WINE SPECTATOR 92 POINTS - "Rich, with black cherry, plum, iron and violet aromas and flavors, this red is suave and multidimensional. Vibrant and balanced, featuring a lingering finish that echoes the fruit and adds a spice accent. Best from 2021 through 2040."
Over the years, the wines of Tuscan winery, Felsina, have been a staple at Hi-Time Wine Cellars by wowing us with their consistent quality across the range and vintages. Domenico Poggiali was taking a big risk starting the winery in 1966 when the market for serious Chianti was nowhere near what it is today, but that helped earn them a place at the top: building a reputation bit by bit over the decades, employing the highest quality of winemaking available even when it was uncertain that it would be profitable. It doesn't hurt that they ultimately employed one of the top Italian winemaking consultants, Franco Bernabei, who played a pivotal role in the Tuscan wine renaissance!
The Felsina lineup has been particularly strong in the beautiful back-to-back 2015 & 2016 vintages in Tuscany, and the reviews are proof. Our current lineup of 2016s share a common thread: intensity of flavors, a balance of muscle and elegance in a well-structured package. They are all made from 100% Sangiovese, organically farmed, and are made in a "modern" style, with a careful use of small French oak barrels.
- Item #: i_301007Bottle Size: 750mlDecanter: 93 PointsDECANTER 93 POINTS - "...aged in 50% new barriques. Curiously, the oak is not apparent on the charming and ethereal red fruit nose. The attack is fresh, lively and vibrant, with considerable intensity and flair, yet the wine shows both tension and structure, and the finish is balanced, complex and long. Drinking Window 2020 - 2035"
- Item #: i_301104Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 98The Antinori family of Florence needs little introduction and is one of the world's oldest and most distinguished wine producers. The Antinori’s respect traditions yet possess a dynamic and innovative spirit. Guado al Tasso is the flagship wine of the estate, showcasing amazing power, elegance, and balance, which make it one of the most sought after wines in the world.
WINE ADVOCATE 98 POINTS - "This stunning vintage of this landmark wine marks a slight adjustment to the blend. The 2016 Bolgheri Superiore Guado Al Tasso is no longer made with Petit Verdot. The blend is now 60% Cabernet Sauvignon, 20% Merlot and now 20% Cabernet Franc. This small change does not go unnoticed, as this wine is absolutely seamless now—like the finest Asian silk fabric. That profound textural softness and suppleness changes the way the wine smells and tastes, with hints of momentary sweetness that are more tactile than anything else. Generally speaking, the 2016 vintage offers more elegance (slightly less concentration) and a hair more freshness compared to the 2015 edition. When I tasted this wine, the bouquet was still timid, but it will no doubt become more expressive and open as this beautiful wine continues forward along its aging trajectory. Some 120,000 bottles were made, a remarkable feat considering the extreme quality on offer."
- Item #: i_382512Bottle Size: 750mlJames Suckling: 92Located in the heart of Rioja Alavesa, Izadi produces wines that express the character of Tempranillo. The word Izadi means Nature. The vineyards are located deep in the heart of Rioja Alavesa in a triangle formed by three villages, Villabuena, Ábalos and Samaniego. The grapes for this wine are sourced from vineyards with an average age of 45 years ensuring low yields and intense flavors. Aging is completed in a combination of both French and American barrels.
JAMES SUCKLING 92 POINTS - "A generous plum, chocolate and earthy nose with subtle oak. Dry tannins are well integrated. An impressive modern wine."
- Item #: i_305030Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 9365% Sangiovese, 25% Merlot and 10% Cabernet Sauvignon
WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "The 2016 La Massa is a terrific blend of 65% Sangiovese, 25% Merlot and 10% Cabernet Sauvignon available at an accessible price. Alicante Bouschet was used in the blend until last year but has now been removed. The results are surprisingly complex and profound, although the wine's best asset is the fresh and straightforward approach it makes, especially on the palate. That inner depth will give this wine some proper aging potential I should expect. This vintage shows lots of tension and dimension. The warm 2015 vintage shows sunny softness, but 2016 has more overall freshness."
WINEMAKER NOTES - "This full-bodied, energetic red from the Chianti Classico region of Panzano combines warm richness with balance and length that makes it widely popular year after year. Winemaker Stephane Derenoncourt, one of Bordeaux's most renowned winemakers, crafts the wine with Bordeaux influences including aging in French oak, 20% new, to produce a luscious mouth-feel. This wine is one of the best values in the market place."
- Item #: i_380785Bottle Size: 750MLJames Suckling: 92100% TEMPRANILLO
JAMES SUCKLING 92 POINTS - "Dried red cherries, paprika, coconut, dried strawberries and earth. Medium body, steely and subtle tannins and a red plum-soaked, medium-chewy finish. Drink in 2021."
WINEMAKER NOTES - "High aromatic intensity with dominating ripe fruit: raspberries, red cherries, wild strawberries and red currants set out against a balsamic background of vanilla, toasted caramel, biscuits, coffee and sweet mints. In the mouth, you can enjoy good acidity, great freshness and balance and mild, friendly tannins. Aromatic harmony persists through the aftertaste, with notes of red fruit jam, prunes, coffee, vanilla and caramel. Viña Alberdi is characterised by a notable food-pairing versatility. It is an ideal companion to appetisers, snacks and barbecues, perfect with rice, pastas and stews, and great with lightly-grilled meat and fish."
Aged for two years in American oak barrels manufactured inhouse; the first year in new oak.
- Item #: i_350861Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93Wine Spectator: 93James Suckling: 95JAMES SUCKLING 95 POINTS - "Coffee and currants with hints of sweet tobacco and vanilla bean. Subtle yet intense. Full body, with sexy tannins and a sweet fruit coating around it. Very fine and linear. Direct. Gorgeous. Better than I remember."
WINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS - "Intense, with a bold, roasted apple wood note out front and anise-infused plum and blackberry fruit surrounding the core. Lots of bramble, tar and warm stone accents course through the finish. Displays impressive range and grip."
WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "The second wine of Haut-Brion is now called Le Clarence de Haut-Brion, and the 2010 is among the finest I have tasted there. It is a broad, powerful and more muscular wine than its cross-street rival, La Chapelle de la Mission, but all the same, it is wonderfully fresh and precise, with notes of blueberry and boysenberry as well as hints of smoke and wet stones. Endowed with gorgeous fruit, texture, purity and elegance, this relatively dense second wine demonstrates how draconian the selection process has become for the top estates in Bordeaux in recent years. The blend of this wine is 52% Merlot, 36% Cabernet Sauvignon and the rest mostly Cabernet Franc with just a touch of Petit Verdot. I would expect it to last at least 20 years, which is remarkable
- Item #: i_301106Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93Vinous Media: 93James Suckling: 94100% Sangiovese (36 Biotypes, though!)
JAMES SUCKLING 94 POINTS - "This is very fine and pretty with berry, cherries and flowers on the nose and palate. Full body with very integrated tannins and a fresh clean finish. A beauty now. This is classy. A blend of a selection of three dozen of the best Sangiovese clones grown in Chianti Classico by the historic winemaking family of Mazzei. Drink or hold."
WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "The 2010 Mix36 is a blend of 36 biotypes of Sangiovese. With its technical winemaking notes printed on the front label (harvest yields and maceration times), this wine should have special appeal with wine geeks everywhere. This expression is elegant and clean with sharp focus and bright notes of wild berry and lingering smoke. Polished tannins are backed by bright acidity. Anticipated maturity: 2015-2025."
ANTONIO GALLONI 93 POINTS - "One of the newer wines in the range, the Mix 36 is once again terrific in 2010. Layers of fruit emerge effortlessly from this gracious, pliant wine. Tar, smoke, spices and licorice flesh out on the radiant finish. The style is a bit supple for the year, but gorgeous all the same. It will be interesting to follow the 2010 over the coming years. Mix 36 made from 36 different Sangiovese clones planted on the property, and is aged in 500-liter barrels.