- Item #: i_345082Bottle Size: 750MLeROBERT PARKER 91-93 POINTS: "The Château Angelus 2014, a blend of 50% Cabernet Franc and 50% Merlot was picked between 2 and 22 October over a 3-week period. It has a surprisingly bashful nose at first, not one that comes racing out of the blocks to greet you. But there is plenty of fruit here, beautifully defined, a little more introverted than usual possibly due to the higher percentage of Cabernet Franc. The palate is medium-bodied with fine tannin, linear in style with a saline note complementing that lattice of black fruit. It gently builds towards the spicy, slightly compact finish but never fully let’s go, the Cabernet Franc lending a slight savory edge on the aftertaste. This will probably need three of four years in bottle as this is slightly harder compared to recent vintages with more backbone. Yet it still constitutes an admirable Saint Emilion even if it does not ignite the same pyrotechnics as say, Pavie or Ausone."
WINE SPECTATOR 93-96 POINTS: "Features base notes of bittersweet ganache and smoldering tobacco, with dark plum, currant and fig fruit flavors. Despite the charcoal thread, this is lush and integrated, showing no aggressive edges at all. The tobacco accent chimes in at the end for added effect." –JM
VINOUSMEDIA 93-96 POINTS: "The 2014 Angélus, equal parts Merlot and Cabernet Franc, boasts superb depth and textural richness. Firm tannins give the 2014 its explosive energy and overall tension. Mocha, espresso, new leather, French oak and licorice gradually open up in the glass, but with some reluctance. The 2014 will need quite a bit of time to find its more finessed side, but its there."
- Item #: i_345941Bottle Size: 750mlFrom the highly regarded winemaker from Hartwell, Realm, Kata and Fait Main (Teeter Totter) comes an absurd value. The inaugural release of the Arbalest is a project involving winemaker Benoit Touquette and importer/distributor Kimberly Jones. Our French and California wine buyers sampled this wine together last week and absolutely loved it. After tasting it, we knew we had to bring it into the store and quickly snapped up every single bottle that was available. This lush and juicy full-bodied wine boasts an abundance of dark fruit flavors and incredible texture with silky smooth tannins.
The idea of Arbalest was born when Benoit and Kimberly were traveling in France. They tasted a lot of wine in Bordeaux and both felt they could improve the quality of reasonably priced wine from the region. Benoit drew on his relationships in Bordeaux and found a source for high quality grapes. Benoit then did what he does best. He made this wine in his style consistent with his other wines, but kept the price amazingly low.
Benoit was born in Bordeaux where he was surrounded by family and friends in the wine business. He was amazed at the passion people had for wine and soon felt it himself. He graduated from Bordeaux University with a Master’s Degree in Oenology and learned from one of Bordeaux's greatest, Michel Rolland. After some time, Benoit decided it was time for a new challenge and decided to go to Napa. There he worked with another legendary winemaker, Andy Erickson, whose resume includes such iconic estates as Dalla Valle, Screaming Eagle and Spottswoode.
The mentorship of Michel Rolland and Andy Erickson was transformative for Benoit. He has learned well and clearly knows how to make delicious wines. In the spirit of full disclosure, we have to admit this wine possesses the character of Touquette’s full-bodied Napa reds. The quality of the perfectly ripened fruit flavors and creamy texture in this Bordeaux blend made us feel like we were enjoying a much higher priced wine. It does have a touch of minerality you might encounter in Bordeaux, but this is a dead ringer for a high quality Napa wine.
Enjoy the inaugural release of this limited production wine while you can.
Arbalest displays aromas of blue florals, blackberry, boysenberry and plum. On the palate, this wine is full-bodied with well- integrated tannins and flavors mirroring the nose. Fresh dark fruit including blueberry and creme de cassis are followed by beautiful hints of umami on the mid palate. The finish is seamless and persistent. Drink now through 2022.
- Item #: i_350182Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 100WINE ADVOCATE 100 POINTS - "The 2005 Ausone is a perfect wine of the vintage. It displays crushed rock, spring flowers, blueberry and blackberry fruit, a full-bodied mouthfeel, stunning purity and richness, and perfect harmony among all of its component parts (acidity, tannin, wood, alcohol and extract). Still youthful, but oh, so promising, this wine should be set aside for another decade and drunk over the following 50-75 years. Drink 2025-2100."
- Item #: i_399905Bottle Size: 750MLeROBERT PARKER 90 POINTS: "The 2013 Beauséjour (Duffau Lagarrosse) offers impressive intensity given the growing season with crisp and pure dark cherries, raspberry coulis and subtle earthy bordering upon loamy scents. The oak here is nicely enmeshed and attests some clever winemaking in this challenging season. The palate is well balanced with a little chewiness on the entry. There is admirable weight here, even if I discerned more finesse and precision on the 2013 Pavie-Macquin. Still, this constitutes a sterling effort and it should give 10 to 15 years of pleasure, possibly longer."
- Item #: i_333594Bottle Size: 750MLORGANIC CERTIFIED
The good-natured proprietor of the Château de Bellevue, André Chatenoud, seems more at home in his cellars than anywhere else. Though he and his family have owned the property since 1971, the history of the château dates back to at least the 18th Century. One needs only to explore the incredible limestone caves and see the rich range of old graffiti engravings to be impressed: from harvest workers of the 1700s to American G.I.’s of the 1940s. The terroir of Château de Bellevue is characterized by exceptional quality – only surprising because the great, low prices here at Bellevue stand to shift the perceptions of what good Bordeaux should cost.
When I have some in my glass, I can't help thinking of Bellevu'’s subterranean, chalk-walled cellar. I taste it in the wine a chalky tannin and sort of a dusty coating on the wild berry fruit. Think about it gorgeous tannin with fruit and flesh to match. Kermit Lynch
- Item #: i_399920Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 95#55 ON WINE SPECTATOR TOP 100 WINES OF 2018
WINE SPECTATOR 95 POINTS - "This brims with ripe, juicy plum, blackberry and açaí berry flavors, studded with licorice and fruitcake notes and backed by a nicely integrated apple wood detail through the finish. Pumps a lot of fruit out but does so energetically. Best from 2020 through 2035."
- Item #: i_333506Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 91Wine Spectator: 93eROBERT PARKER 91 POINTS: "Probably the flagship estate of visionary Stephan von Neipperg, the 2011 Canon La Gaffeliere is less exotic and open-knit than usual, but it exhibits beautiful notes of black currants, licorice, camphor and forest floor. A burgeoning complexity as well as medium to full body and well-integrated wood are found in this pure beauty. Drink it over the next 10-12 years."
WINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS: "Offers a deliciously mouthwatering range of red currant, damson plum, blackberry and loganberry fruit, spiced with hints of black tea and cinnamon and backed by a long, briary, fine-grained finish. A sleek, refined wine that should age well. Best from 2016 through 2028."
- Item #: i_333177Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 90Wine Spectator: 93WINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS - "Wonderfully ripe and decadent, with tobacco, meat and ripe berry aromas, with hints of currants. Full-bodied, and very velvety, with unctuous fruit flavors. Long and exotic aftertaste. Terrific wine. Best after 2010."
- Item #: i_311394Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 98+ROBERT PARKER 98+ POINTS - "A masterpiece in the making, proprietor Alain Vauthier's 2009 Ausone boasts a dense purple color along with notes of powdered chalk, crushed rocks and wild blue, red and black fruits. Extravagantly rich with great minerality, precision and freshness as well as a voluptuous texture (unusual for a baby Ausone), this is an extraordinary wine. Sadly, there are fewer than 1,200 cases ... for the world. Anticipated maturity: 2020-2060+"
- Item #: i_351255Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 91-93Wine Spectator: 91WINE SPECTATOR 91 POINTS: "This is alluring, with a well-melded mix of plum sauce, melted licorice and raspberry coulis flavors, carried by polished tannins and flowing through a graphite-edged finish. Very solid, with latent grip. Should cellar well. Best from 2017 through 2023."
- Item #: i_346023Bottle Size: 750MLVinous Media: 90-92James Suckling: 97Jeb Dunnuck: 94 PointsJAMES SUCKLING 97 POINTS: "A dense and layered red with ripe plums and blueberries, as well as hints of wet earth and moss. Full-bodied, velvety and layered with fantastic fruit and creamy, velvety tannins. Plush and deep. Great wine."
JEB DUNNUCK 94 POINTS: "Made from 100% Merlot and cooler limestone and clay soils, the 2016 Château Bellevue shows a beautiful minerality and freshness in its black raspberry, crushed rocks, graphite, and dried flower aromas and flavors. It's medium-bodied, focused, and precise on the palate, with fine yet certainly present tannins. Give this beauty 3-5 years and it will cruise for two decades."
- Item #: i_344263Bottle Size: 750MLWine Enthusiast: 91 PointsWINE ENTHUSIAST 91 POINTS - "Intense and rich, this is an opulent, concentrated wine from a 240-acre vineyard. Powerful, dense and packed with black fruits, this shows solid aging potential. The tannins are already integrating with the generous berry fruits and the acidity, to give an impressive wine."
- Item #: i_351420Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95Wine Enthusiast: 95 PointsWINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS - "As usual, the 2005 Branaire-Ducru is one of the more distinctive wines of St.-Julien. Proprietor Patrick Maroteaux has turned out another classic. While not as opulent or fleshy as the 2003, and it remains to be seen if it will eclipse the 2000, the 2005 is a big, structured, intensely rich effort with raspberry, blueberry, and spring flower garden characteristics, stunning purity, full-bodied power, and good underlying acidity as well as harmony. The hard tannins suggest 8-9 years of cellaring will be beneficial; it should last for three decades. Anticipated maturity: 2015-2030+."
- Item #: i_346025Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 94"The 2015 Branaire Ducru is a gorgeous, totally sexy wine...Don't miss it" - Antonio Galloni
"This pumps lush fig, boysenberry and blackberry confiture" – Wine Spectator
We are thrilled to have a small amount of the terrific 2015 Chateau Branaire Ducru in stock. This classified growth is an historic estate performing at a high level with the 2015 showing enviable concentration, perfect ripeness and power. We frequently look to this Chateau to deliver outstanding quality at more than reasonable prices. The Wine Spectator awarded this wine 94 Points and named it to its Top 100 list after trying thousands of wines! Antonio Galloni did them one better, dropping a 95 Point score and stating, "The 2015 is a wine of pure and total sensual pleasure."
This historic family run estate was once part of the larger Beychevelle property until it was purchased in the late 17th Century. Today, the Chateau from Saint Julien is run by Francois Xavier Maroteaux who takes advantage of the gravelly soils to grow Cabernet Sauvignon which comprises 65% of the blend. The remainder of the classic Bordeaux assemblage includes Merlot, Petit Verdot and Cabernet Franc.
This is definitely one of the better values coming out of Bordeaux from the excellent 2015 vintage.
We have a very limited amount of this wine. Grab it while you can. When it's gone, it's gone!
#33 ON WINE SPECTATOR TOP 100 WINES OF 2018
WINE SPECTATOR 94 POINTS - "This pumps lush fig, boysenberry and blackberry confiture notes along, pushed by a rather polished but ample structure. Lots of anise and violet details cascade in on the finish, giving this extra aromatic dimension. Best from 2020 through 2038."
VINOUSMEDIA 95 POINTS - "The 2015 Branaire Ducru is a gorgeous, totally sexy wine. Rose petal, lavender, mint, sweet red berry and gently spiced notes give the wine much of its gracious, lilting personality. Precise and nuanced to the core, the 2015 Branaire is all class. It's easy to overlook Brainaire in the context of Saint-Julien, where most of the other important wines are much more powerful. Branaire always speaks with a hushed, discreet voice. Readers who appreciate finesse will find much to admire here. The 2015 is a wine of pure and total sensual pleasure. In 2015, the blend is 65% Cabernet Sauvignon, 26% Merlot and 4% Cabernet Franc, aged for 18 months in French oak, 60% new. Don't miss it." -- Antonio Galloni
- Item #: i_351550Bottle Size: 750mlBIODYNAMIC, ORGANIC
Bright and red color. The nose is deep with intense aromas of cherries that evolve toward floral notes. The palate is fresh and well-balanced. It is dominated by fruit notes of cherries. Long and aromatic finish.
- Item #: i_352023Bottle Size: 750mlThe estate produces only one cuvée, a robust wine that is composed of 60% Cabernet Sauvignon and 40% Merlot. Monsieur Mirande takes a scrupulous approach to his work in the vineyard as well as in the cellar: he is moving towards organic vineyard management, harvests his grapes manually, and employs indigenous yeasts in fermentation. The end result is a special wine, a classic Pauillac marked by the hand and place that crafted it.
- Item #: i_350590Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 98ROBERT PARKER 98 POINTS: "Dense ruby/purple, with notes of crushed rock, blueberry and blackberry fruit intermixed with some licorice and chocolate, this full-bodied, massive wine from proprietor Philippe Cuvelier coincides with the resurrection of this premier grand cru classé in St.-Emilion. As the wine sits in the glass, notes of espresso roast and chocolate emerge. This full-bodied classic should continue to drink well for another 25 years. This is a killer effort."
- Item #: i_346028Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 92-94James Suckling: 97-98ROBERTPARKER.COM 92-94 POINTS: "The 2015 Cos d'Estournel is a blend of 75% Cabernet Sauvignon, 23.5% Merlot and 1.5% Cabernet Franc that was picked between 17 September and 5 October at 44 hl/ha. It is being matured in 65% new oak, less than in recent years due to the tannin (IPT is 71). Deeper in color than the 2015 Pagodes, it has a very pure bouquet with tightly knitted blackberry, blueberry and violet scents, perhaps just a little Margaux-like in style. The palate is medium-bodied with supple tannin, well-judged acidity and harmonious in the mouth. What it does not quite deliver is the complexity of a top-tier Cos d'Estournel or the peacock's tail of flavors on the finish, which feels linear and conservative compared to its peers in more southerly appellations. You feel as if the vintage put a tight leash on this Saint Estèphe grandee. There is pedigree in this Grand Vin for sure and it is bound to give up to 20 years of pleasure."
VINOUSMEDIA 92-95 POINTS: A wine of cool sophistication and polish, the 2015 Cos d'Estournel is endowed with striking length and overall balance. Silky tannins support a core of graphite, smoke, licorice, incense, tar and dark spice. The 2015 is perhaps not as aromatically nuanced or expressive as in the very best years (although that may develop in time), but it offers terrific persistence through to the finish. Finesse and nuance are the key signatures in the 2015 Cos. Only 39% of the crop went into the Grand Vin, as opposed to the more typical 50% or so." -- Antonio Galloni
JAMES SUCKLING 97-98 POINTS: "This shows what great selection did in the northern Mêdoc. Big surprise. Really excellent. Full body, chewy and rich tannins and loads of ripe fruit. Black currants, blueberries. It has hot and ripe tannins yet cool fruit."
- Item #: i_334210Bottle Size: 750MLDeep purple color with aromas of black cherries, dark berries, figs, and hints of black tea, tobacco and pepper. Bright and youthful, medium bodied but fruit forward and friendly without being over-extracted. Excellent tannin intergration and very food friendly.
- Item #: i_346034Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 94-96James Suckling: 97-98ROBERTPARKER.COM 94-96 POINTS: "The 2015 Ducru Beaucaillou is a blend of 95% Cabernet Sauvignon and 5% Merlot, picked from around 28 September to 6 October. Matured in 100% new oak for what will be 18 months, delivering 13.5% alcohol, it has a relatively opulent bouquet for Saint Julien, with ripe black plum mixed with blackberry and cranberry, very well defined and neatly interwoven with the new oak. The palate is medium-bodied with a slightly savory opening, gently but insistently gripping the mouth. It feels dense and structured with a subtle marine-like note towards the linear, black olive-tinged finish. Bruno Borie has a 2015 with backbone, with longevity in mind. I suspect this will require a decade for the tannins to soften and continue the purple patch for this grand estate."
VINOUSMEDIA 94-96 POINTS: "The 2015 Ducru-Beaucaillou offers notable depth, power and richness. There is plenty of tannin lurking beneath, but it is nearly buried by the sheer intensity of the fruit. Smoke, tobacco, charcoal, leather and dark stone fruits give the 2015 much of its brooding, tightly wound personality. A wine of pedigree and exceptional class, the 2015 Ducru is structured yet also spherical in texture, with terrific balance and tons of style. The 2015 is 95% Cabernet Sauvignon and 5% Merlot." -- Antonio Galloni
JAMES SUCKLING 97-98 POINTS: "Very focused and reserved with a mineral, blackberry, licorice and blackcurrant character. Full and refined. Walking a tightrope between steely tannins and and dark fruit. This is highly intellectual and unique. Great finish. Remake of the extraordinary 2014? Stronger than the 2015, for sure."
- Item #: i_350591Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93ROBERT PARKER 93 POINTS: "The Adams family, Americans, have done a magnificent job with this famous property on the south side of St.-Emilion. Now farmed organically, this wine exhibits an inky purple color, a gorgeous nose of blackberry and cassis fruit, sweet cherries, licorice and spice. It is full-bodied, ripe, opulent, pure and a great success in this vintage. The wine should drink well for 15 or more years."