Sauvignon Blanc is a green-skinned grape variety that originates from the Bordeaux region of France. The grape most likely gets its name from the French words sauvage ("wild") and blanc ("white") due to its early origins as an indigenous grape in South West France. Sauvignon Blanc is planted in many of the world's wine regions, producing a crisp, dry, and refreshing white varietal wine. The grape is also a component of the famous dessert wines from Sauternes and Barsac. Sauvignon Blanc is widely cultivated in France, Chile, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Washington and California. Some New World Sauvignon blancs, particularly from California, may also be called "Fume Blanc". Depending on the climate, the flavor can range from aggressively grassy to sweetly tropical. In cooler climates, the grape has a tendency to produce wines with noticeable acidity and "green flavors" of grass, green bell peppers and nettles with some tropical fruit (such as passion fruit) and floral (such as elderflower) notes. In warmer climates, it can develop more tropical fruit notes but risk losing a lot of aromatics from over-ripeness, leaving only slight grapefruit and tree fruit (such as peach) notes.
- Item #: i_200550Bottle Size: 750mlWinemaker Notes
Patterning itself after countless illustrious Bordeaux and Burgundy estates, Alpha Omega offers an elegant second wine brand, II, wines designed to be approachable, both in taste and price. Opulent, fruit forward and generous, with the backbone of European acidity and elegance, these wines are produced utilizing the blending techniques of various terroirs indicative of a Napa style wine of today. A converging of II worlds of styles II good to not have as part of your cellar. Brilliant, shiny gold with touches of diamond and platinum. Beautiful explosion of apricot, mango, cantaloupe, crushed rocks, fresh fennel, vanilla cream, peach and cotton candy. Round but fresh entrance evolving on jasmine, grapefruit and kumquat lingering on a beautiful minerality and star fruit.
- Item #: i_211240Bottle Size: 750mlAncient Peak's 2016 Sauvignon Blanc opens with bright aromas of peach, guava, citrus and wet stone. A round, soft texture envelopes the palate with luscious flavors of pear and tropical fruit, all underlain by a subtle minerality. The roundness yields to raciness on the finish, with pitchperfect acidity and lingering notes of lime zest.
- Item #: i_200770Bottle Size: 750mlAlthough Sonoma County appears as just a small puzzle piece in the northern reaches of the state, its unique geography, from its coastal mountain ranges and gaps, to its inland valleys makes for an incredibly diverse and dynamic growing region. Using this to the winery's advantate, Angeline toook careful consideration in selecting each of their vineyard sites throughout the county in order to both showcase its breadth and scope as well as how these different microclimates can complement each other. Rooted in the Russian River Valley, but with sources as far north as the warm, sunny slopes of the Dry Creek Valley, this Sauvignon Blanc pays due homage to its unique home.
With fresh tropical aromas of passionfruit and guava, followed by juicy green apple, gooseberry, and zesty citrus zest this wine is layered with a definitive minerality and subtle savory notes of lemongrass. An easy drinker with a round creamy palate, balanced by a bright acidity and a lingering ripened fruit finish.
- Item #: i_203390Bottle Size: 750mlArkenstone sits on a rocky and rugged slope high atop Howell Mountain, looking down into the Napa Valley. The vineyards change in elevation to the tune of 250 feet, and the soils are a mix of Tufa, iron rich red clay, and abundant rocky areas. Even though proprietors Ron and Susan Krausz planted their first vines on the property in 1998, it wasn't until several years later that their first "true" vintage was bottled.
With the help of the talented and famous winemaker Philippe Melka, Ron and Susan tasted many wines and blends from their property for many years. Each year, they listened to which techniques in the vineyard translated to better wine. Again, each year, they fine-tuned these practices until they were sure the vineyard was well-established, trained properly, and were producing world-class wines.
Enter Sam Kaplan; Arkenstone Vineyard Manager and Winemaker since their commercial release. Sam has, since day one at Arkenstone, farmed the vineyards organically. Sam is exceptionally knowledgeable, and not only uses Arkenstone's state-of-the-art winemaking facility to its fullest, but he also knows when to be "hands off", and let the vineyard's own characteristics shine; terroir, if you will.
When Arkenstone decided to expand their Sauvignon Blanc program, they found a site high in the Eastern/ Mountains of Napa Valley that sits just above the fog at elevations mirroring that of Arkenstone's Howell Mountain Estate. Over the course of a couple years they established an amazing block of Sauvignon Blanc using the same clone as Arkenstone's Estate. Utilizing the same winemaking technique that makes Arkenstone's Estate Sauvignon Blanc so special, and Winemaker, Sam Kaplan’s oversight in the vineyard, this 100% Sauvignon Blanc is a stunning addition Arkenstone's family of wines.
- Item #: i_206060Bottle Size: 750mlWe’ve tasted this over the years and each time we do, it has impressed and electrified us! It's the Sauv Blanc that many wish they could make, and the type that everybody loves to drink. This is Brander's best Sauvignon Blanc, made from selected estate grapes in the classic Loire Valley style; 100% Sauv Blanc, with no oak and no malolactic fermentation. The 2016 au Naturel once again offers the gorgeous mouthfeel, compelling minerality, rich and balanced flavors, and long-term ageability this cuvee is renowned for. With notes of honeysuckle, Meyer lemon, and cantaloupe on the palate, this extraordinary wine finishes with grapefruit and hints of peach.
- Item #: i_205940Bottle Size: 750MLA classic example of a white Bordeaux. Aged sur-lie for in 50% new French oak barrels to add richness in flavor and silkiness to the texture while still showcasing firm balanced acidity. A perfect pairing with Santa Barbara's richer seafood - we're thinking lobster with lemon butter or grilled salmon.
- Item #: i_208040Bottle Size: 750MLCADE is owned by the same owners as Plumpjack... and in their typical fashion, they would never be "happy enough" to make a "good" Sauvignon Blanc: CADE only wants to make outstanding Sauvignon Blanc! In order to do this, they ferment their grapes in a combination of stainless steel tanks, stainless steel drums, French oak and concrete eggs. In addition, a combination of native and cultured yeasts are used, and the culmination of all this helps to give the wine aromatic and textural complexity.
Fermentation was carried out in a combination of stainless steel tanks and drums (68%), new French oak barrels (10%), neutral French Oak barrels (22%), with the balance fermented in concrete eggs (1%). Twelve different strains of yeast were used to ferment the juice. CADE's 2018 Napa Valley Sauvignon Blanc has aromas of orange blossom, pineapple, grapefruit, lemon, lime, yellow apple, and stone fruits. On the palate are notes of tangerine, white peach, lychee, citrus, banana, lemon zest, and grapefruit. The wine has a vibrant acidity, minerality, and a touch of creaminess on the finish. By fermenting the wine in stainless steel, French oak, and concrete, we are building layers of complexity in the wine. The barrel fermentations add texture, density, and viscosity to the midpalate of the wine. The concrete adds a touch of flint and minerality to the finish as well as adding some mid-palate richness. The stainless steel fermentations preserve the natural Sauvignon Blanc aromatics and the vibrant acidity and crispness.
- Item #: i_207260Bottle Size: 750mlA blend of 39% Semillon from Monte Rosso Vineyard, 33% Muscadelle from Pagani Ranch, and 28% Colombard, Muscadelle, and Palomino from Mancini Ranch.
Winery's Tasting Notes: "Quinine, grapefruit, quince, and citrus pith all stand out in the engaging aromas. Medium bodied, yellow fruits mingle with a slight herbaceous note reminding me of newly baled hay. Plenty of verve and minerality in the refreshing finish. Fruitier (but not riper) than the ’14. There is precious little Derivative in 2016 so if you are a fan of this wine, this is your opportunity to stock up. Drink from release through 2024."
- Item #: i_210110Bottle Size: 750mlChalk Hill's 2017 Sauvignon Blanc showcases bright, tropical aromas of grapefruit, lime blossom, passionfruit, and plumeria flower. The crisp and refreshing palate has flavors of nectar, grapefruit zest, honeydew melon, and lime juice. Rich texture and mouthwatering minerality.
- Item #: i_277382Bottle Size: 750mlWhen Cliff Lede (pronounced "LAY-dee") was in his late 20s, he was given his first taste of good Bordeaux. After that, as it has been said so many times before, he was hooked! Since that time, he has acquired a vineyard in the Napa Valley, and immediately assembled a team who is dedicated to taking Bordeaux varietals to a whole new level... and they’re doing what it takes to achieve that!
At the head of the winemaking team is the talented and dedicated Michelle Edwards. She earned a B.S. in viticulture and enology ad UC Davis, endured 12-hour graveyard shifts at a grape-crushing facility in southern Australia, and worked harvests at Peter Michael and J Vineyards & Winery. She came to Cliff Lede Vineyards from Colgin Cellars, where she served as the assistant winemaker for three years, and worked with master viticulturist David Abreu. David is now managing the vineyards at Cliff Lede, and together, he and Michelle continue working to source the secrets of each vintage.
The delectably bright and balanced 2017 Sauvignon Blanc is resplendent in a sea of citrus aromas and flavors. Meyer lemon, key lime, ruby grapefruit, and kumquat notes are lusciously entwined in the bouquet as well as in the flavors. As the wine opens in the glass, those citrus elements find further complexity with touches of pie crust, coconut, honeyed quince, and Thai basil. This charming wine is imbued with a bright acidity and a long, rich full bodied texture.
- Item #: i_209560Bottle Size: 750mlJohn Bolta worked the Caymus bottling line for years before he began to work alongside Chuck Wager in the winemaking duties. In 1988, John became the winemaker for the white wines, and he created Conundrum, a blend unlike any other at the time. The idea is to produce a wine full of fruit flavors, yet retain complexity and balance. While this wine is often imitated, there truly is only one Conundrum white wine. Grapes come from Napa, Monterey, and Santa Barbara Counties, and the wine is a blend of Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, Semillon, Muscat Canelli, and Viognier. From the second you pour yourself a glass, you are invited with intriguing aromas of green apple, tangerine, and honeysuckle blossoms. The taste is best described as exotic and ever so slightly sweet, with layers of peach, apricot nectar, green melon and pear, overlaid with subtle notes of citrus zest and spicy vanilla. A rich, round mouth feel supported by fresh acidity brings the complexity of this wine into balance.
- Item #: i_20566Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 90After 25 years of perfecting our blend and in honor of our 25th anniversary, we are introducing Conundrum Sparkling, a wine that’s perfect for celebrations of all kinds – whether they’re planned or in the moment.
- Item #: i_215410Bottle Size: 750mlOn the vine, this fruit was expressive, exhibiting tropical notes as well as hints of exotic fruits with lively acidity. The combination of the luscious grapes and native fermentation in concrete egg created a wine reminiscent of the fine Bordeaux blancs from the Pessac-leognan region. Enjoy the tangerine and pink grapefruit nuances supported by a bright acidity on the finish.
- Item #: i_215960Bottle Size: 750mlIf you've ever had any of the Dagueneau Sauvignon Blancs from France's Loire Valley, then you know those wines are things of beauty. It was over a glass of Dagueneau that brothers Steve and John Dragonette and close friend Brandon Sparks-Gillis decided to leave their jobs at a Los Angeles wine shop and search throughout Santa Barbara's Santa Ynez Valley to find vineyards that could best exemplify the enticing characteristics of this grape. They have found those vineyards, and now their Sauvignon Blancs have become some of our favorites! The Vogelzang Vineyard is our favorite bottling of Sauvignon Blanc from the boys. Situated on a gently sloping bed of well-drained, gravelly loam with serpentine, the warm to hot summer days and cool to cold evenings is ideal for promoting full phenolic ripeness while still retaining critical acidity.
ANTONIO GALLONI 94 POINTS - "The 2016 Sauvignon Blanc Vogelzang Vineyard offers tons of varietal character, with a sense of vertical lift and structure that gives the wine its distinctive shape. Orange peel, mint, jasmine and a host of tropical inflections round out this super-expressive Sauvignon Blanc from Dragonette."
- Item #: i_216510Bottle Size: 750mlDry Creek Vineyard has produced Fume Blanc since 1972--this is a wine at the heart and soul of this family winery. Modeled after the classic wines from the Loire Valley in France, this stainless steel-fermented, no-oak style Fume Blanc is crisp, balanced and immediately drinkable. Winery founder David Stare was the first vintner to plant Sauvignon Blanc in the Dry Creek Valley, and they proudly carry his legacy forward in producing this classic, dry, white wine. This is wine as distinctive and vibrant as the sailboats gracing their winery labels since 1982 (they are passionate about the sport!).
The nose on this Fume is rich: notes of citrus, Meyer lemon and kaffir lime, with a touch of creamy gooseberry, spring melon and salt air. The palate starts lush with amply viscosity as flavors of lemon-lime citrus, white peach and lemon grass meld seamlessy--all while being uplifted by streaks of clean minerality and buoyant acidity. Rigged for running, this delicious, crisp, fruit-filled wine is definitely ship-shape and Bristol fashion--perfect for hot August nights and fresh oysters.
- Item #: i_216685Bottle Size: 375ml**Please note, this is a half sized bottleThis delicious wine incorporates small amounts of Sauvignon Musque and Sauvignon Gris which adds a layer of depth and a fleshy, full-bodied mouthfeel. At first swirl, this wine presents tropical aromas of pineapple, passionfruit, melon and orange liqueur. On the palate, flavors of lemon curd, guava, tangerines and mineral notes come through with a slightly creamy, but lively finish. Stainless steel fermentation was supplemented with small amounts of chestnut, acacia and French oak barrels adding additional character and nuance to this delicious wine. Seamless from start to finish, this is an elegant and refined Sauvignon Blanc.
- Item #: i_216680Bottle Size: 750mlWinemaker's Notes - "This delicious wine incorporates small amounts of Sauvignon Musque and Sauvignon Gris which adds a layer of depth and a fleshy, full-bodied mouthfeel. At first swirl, this wine presents tropical aromas of pineapple, passionfruit, melon and orange liqueur. On the palate, flavors of lemon curd, guava, tangerines and mineral notes come through with a slightly creamy, but lively finish. Stainless steel fermentation was supplemented with small amounts of chestnut, acacia and French oak barrels adding additional character and nuance to this delicious wine. Seamless from start to finish, this is an elegant and refined Sauvignon Blanc."
- Item #: i_216860Bottle Size: 375ml**Please note, this is a half sized bottle375ml - Delightfully rendered in a traditional California style, this inordinately generous wine combines oily vectors of guava, mango, papaya and persimmon with hints of Meyer lemon, kiwi, jasmine, honey and thyme. Unctuous without being cloying, it seems perfectly suitable to richer seafood preparations such as halibut, bass or swordfish. In terms of cheese, we would recommend a creamy havarti as a match made in heaven!
- Item #: i_271459Bottle Size: 750MLBoth crisp and complex, this lovely Sauvignon Blanc displays enticing aromas of grapefruit, summer melon, lemongrass and lime zest with subtle hints of boxwood and Mandarin orange. Though it is crisp and refreshing from start to finish, there is a richness to the mid-palate that supports the vibrant fruit with a note of flinty minerality adding nuance and depth.
- Item #: i_206630Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94+ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 94+ POINTS - "Bottled in late July, the 2017 Sauvignon Blanc is a real step up from previous vintages, springing from the glass with vibrant lime cordial, orange blossom and grapefruit notes with touches of allspice, honeysuckle, ripe pears, white peaches and struck flint. Medium-bodied with a suggestion of satin to the texture and a fantastic intensity of exuberant citrus fruits and mineral notes, it delivers a very long, refreshing finish. This should age beautifully!"
- Item #: i_223060Bottle Size: 750mlContinuing the legacy of the Wagner Family's other profound wine ventures such as Caymus, Belle Glos, and Conundrum, Jenny Wagner takes the reins of Emmolo Winery and is making a hit with these new releases! Her family has a long-standing history in Napa Valley beginning with her great-grandfather, Italian immigrant, Salvatore Emmolo, who planted grapevines and started a grapevine rootstock nursery in Rutherford in the 1920's. His son, and Jenny's grandfather, Frank Emmolo, ran Emmolo Nursery and built a strong following amongst Napa Valley grapegrowers - becoming the leading supplier to Napa Valley vintners for five decades.
Jenny Wagner believes the key to creating a truly unique expression of California Sauvignon Blanc begins in the vineyards. A variety of effective methods were taken to decrease crop production for higher quality wine, including bloom brushing, root pruning and deficit irrigation. The 2015 vintage had a mild growing season that was longer than usual, allowing for slow ripening and a long "hang time."
In Jenny Wagner's opinion, Sauvignon Blanc runs the risk of being overly herbaceous, overly oaked, or simply one-dimensional. She feels a good Sauvignon Blanc should have natural firm acidity, crisp fruit and bright minerality, like that of a wet stone - a style of Sauvignon Blanc that can be enjoyed on its own as an aperitif or paired with a wide variety of food. This is an elegant and refined style of Sauvignon Blanc that is subtle and balanced, with minerality and bright natural acidity. On the nose, aromas of citrus, iron, wet stone and a hint of D'Anjou pear tempt your senses, while a crisp lightness, balanced acidity and underlying notes of fleshy grapefruit and lime zest please the palate. The significant minerality and soft body rounds out the wine. This Sauvignon Blanc was made to pair with food, yet is very versatile. Bottled using a Guala twist top in lieu of cork.
- Item #: i_218420Bottle Size: 750mlEric Kent takes their Sauvignon Blanc very seriously. It requires a lot of extra work and expense, but the payoff is always worth it. Two magnificent vineyard sources are the heart of the wine (Dry Stack and Fallenleaf), both planted to exotic clonal selections providing decidedly excellent raw material. Over the years the winery has employed a mixture of techniques to bring out the best in this lively fruit. Cold, slow fermentation in stainless steel tanks for freshness, a small but critical percentage of French oak barrel, plus some skin contact carbonic fermentation to bring the uncommon texture and weight.
Instead of the usual grassy/lemony sipper, Cuvee Renee offers a riot of guava, passionfruit, lemongrass and pink grapefruit. A hair more precise than previous iterations, there's a lovely viscosity on the palate and the finish is long, fresh and succulent.