Sauvignon Blanc is a green-skinned grape variety that originates from the Bordeaux region of France. The grape most likely gets its name from the French words sauvage ("wild") and blanc ("white") due to its early origins as an indigenous grape in South West France. Sauvignon Blanc is planted in many of the world's wine regions, producing a crisp, dry, and refreshing white varietal wine. The grape is also a component of the famous dessert wines from Sauternes and Barsac. Sauvignon Blanc is widely cultivated in France, Chile, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Washington and California. Some New World Sauvignon blancs, particularly from California, may also be called "Fume Blanc". Depending on the climate, the flavor can range from aggressively grassy to sweetly tropical. In cooler climates, the grape has a tendency to produce wines with noticeable acidity and "green flavors" of grass, green bell peppers and nettles with some tropical fruit (such as passion fruit) and floral (such as elderflower) notes. In warmer climates, it can develop more tropical fruit notes but risk losing a lot of aromatics from over-ripeness, leaving only slight grapefruit and tree fruit (such as peach) notes.
- Item #: i_211240Bottle Size: 750mlAncient Peak's 2016 Sauvignon Blanc opens with bright aromas of peach, guava, citrus and wet stone. A round, soft texture envelopes the palate with luscious flavors of pear and tropical fruit, all underlain by a subtle minerality. The roundness yields to raciness on the finish, with pitchperfect acidity and lingering notes of lime zest.
- Item #: i_200770Bottle Size: 750mlAlthough Sonoma County appears as just a small puzzle piece in the northern reaches of the state, its unique geography, from its coastal mountain ranges and gaps, to its inland valleys makes for an incredibly diverse and dynamic growing region. Using this to the winery's advantate, Angeline toook careful consideration in selecting each of their vineyard sites throughout the county in order to both showcase its breadth and scope as well as how these different microclimates can complement each other. Rooted in the Russian River Valley, but with sources as far north as the warm, sunny slopes of the Dry Creek Valley, this Sauvignon Blanc pays due homage to its unique home.
With fresh tropical aromas of passionfruit and guava, followed by juicy green apple, gooseberry, and zesty citrus zest this wine is layered with a definitive minerality and subtle savory notes of lemongrass. An easy drinker with a round creamy palate, balanced by a bright acidity and a lingering ripened fruit finish.
- Item #: i_201530Bottle Size: 750mlArrow and Branch proprietors (and Laguna Beach locals) Steve and Seanne Contursi share a great love for the wines of Bordeaux, particularly those produced with a large quantity of Cabernet Franc, such as Chateau Cheval Blanc. The couple sought out their Coombsville vineyard property with an eye to producing top-quality Cabernet Franc-based wines from Napa Valley. They bought the Arrow and Branch Vineyard in November 2007, as this vineyard was the source of Tony Soter's renowned and highly rated Little Creek Cabernet Franc. The Contursi's have maintained the organic farming and, through their work with the detail-oriented Viticulturalist Mike Wolf, are continually improving this wonderful vineyard site.
One of the rising stars of Napa Valley winemaking, Jennifer Williams, was named Winemaker for Arrow and Branch in April 2011. After years of working with and learning from legendary winemakers such as Rosemary Cakebread, Francoise Peschon, and the Novak family, Jennifer now brings her outstanding talents and experience to Arrow and Branch. In 2002, Williams joined Araujo and Spottswoode as a harvest intern, splitting her time between these two great winemaking estates. At Spottswoode, Jennifer was drawn to the philosophy of organic and sustainable farming, which Tony Soter had introduced in 1985. Following harvest, she joined their team full time, working under guru David Abreu in the fields and Rosemary Cakebread in the winery. In 2004, with a deeper understanding of the estate vineyard, she took over as Vineyard Manager and was Spottswoode's Winemaker from 2006 to 2011. The San Francisco Chronicle named Jennifer a "Winemaker to Watch" in 2007.
From their high elevation vineyard about 1300 feet atop Atlas Peak, this is their second vintage fully sourced from Stagecoach Vineyard. The cool evenings and temperate days make for ideal Sauvignon Blanc conditions. This vineyard produces fruit full in flavor while retaining a bright acidity that is signature of Arrow and Branch Sauvignon Blanc. Fermented in oak and stainless to preserve the freshness and lees aged to give the wine some roundness.
- Item #: i_214560Bottle Size: 750mlA Happy Canyon AVA and Ballard Canyon AVA blend of 100% Sauvignon Blanc, this tank fermented wine is crisp, clean, and delicious. Tropical and citrus aromas define the aromatics with bright acidity and mineral flavors highlighting the palate.
- Item #: i_205940Bottle Size: 750MLA classic example of a white Bordeaux. Aged sur-lie for in 50% new French oak barrels to add richness in flavor and silkiness to the texture while still showcasing firm balanced acidity. A perfect pairing with Santa Barbara's richer seafood - we're thinking lobster with lemon butter or grilled salmon.
- Item #: i_205930Bottle Size: 750MLVinous Media: 90This perennial favorite, named after owner and winemaker Fred Brander's late daughter, is a blend of 32% Sauvignon Blanc, 20% Pinot Gris and 48% Riesling, this shows as a very pale gold in the glass, and opens with aromas of Anjou pear, white nectarines, and honeysuckle.
- Item #: i_208040Bottle Size: 750MLCADE is owned by the same owners as Plumpjack... and in their typical fashion, they would never be "happy enough" to make a "good" Sauvignon Blanc: CADE only wants to make outstanding Sauvignon Blanc! In order to do this, they ferment their grapes in a combination of stainless steel tanks, stainless steel drums, French oak and concrete eggs. In addition, a combination of native and cultured yeasts are used, and the culmination of all this helps to give the wine aromatic and textural complexity.
Fermentation was carried out in a combination of stainless steel tanks and drums (68%), new French oak barrels (10%), neutral French Oak barrels (22%), with the balance fermented in concrete eggs (1%). Twelve different strains of yeast were used to ferment the juice. CADE's 2018 Napa Valley Sauvignon Blanc has aromas of orange blossom, pineapple, grapefruit, lemon, lime, yellow apple, and stone fruits. On the palate are notes of tangerine, white peach, lychee, citrus, banana, lemon zest, and grapefruit. The wine has a vibrant acidity, minerality, and a touch of creaminess on the finish. By fermenting the wine in stainless steel, French oak, and concrete, we are building layers of complexity in the wine. The barrel fermentations add texture, density, and viscosity to the midpalate of the wine. The concrete adds a touch of flint and minerality to the finish as well as adding some mid-palate richness. The stainless steel fermentations preserve the natural Sauvignon Blanc aromatics and the vibrant acidity and crispness.
- Item #: i_207260Bottle Size: 750mlA blend of 39% Semillon from Monte Rosso Vineyard, 33% Muscadelle from Pagani Ranch, and 28% Colombard, Muscadelle, and Palomino from Mancini Ranch.
Winery's Tasting Notes: "Quinine, grapefruit, quince, and citrus pith all stand out in the engaging aromas. Medium bodied, yellow fruits mingle with a slight herbaceous note reminding me of newly baled hay. Plenty of verve and minerality in the refreshing finish. Fruitier (but not riper) than the ’14. There is precious little Derivative in 2016 so if you are a fan of this wine, this is your opportunity to stock up. Drink from release through 2024."
- Item #: i_210110Bottle Size: 750mlChalk Hill's 2017 Sauvignon Blanc showcases bright, tropical aromas of grapefruit, lime blossom, passionfruit, and plumeria flower. The crisp and refreshing palate has flavors of nectar, grapefruit zest, honeydew melon, and lime juice. Rich texture and mouthwatering minerality.
- Item #: i_209560Bottle Size: 750mlJohn Bolta worked the Caymus bottling line for years before he began to work alongside Chuck Wager in the winemaking duties. In 1988, John became the winemaker for the white wines, and he created Conundrum, a blend unlike any other at the time. The idea is to produce a wine full of fruit flavors, yet retain complexity and balance. While this wine is often imitated, there truly is only one Conundrum white wine. Grapes come from Napa, Monterey, and Santa Barbara Counties, and the wine is a blend of Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, Semillon, Muscat Canelli, and Viognier. From the second you pour yourself a glass, you are invited with intriguing aromas of green apple, tangerine, and honeysuckle blossoms. The taste is best described as exotic and ever so slightly sweet, with layers of peach, apricot nectar, green melon and pear, overlaid with subtle notes of citrus zest and spicy vanilla. A rich, round mouth feel supported by fresh acidity brings the complexity of this wine into balance.
- Item #: i_20566Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 90After 25 years of perfecting our blend and in honor of our 25th anniversary, we are introducing Conundrum Sparkling, a wine that’s perfect for celebrations of all kinds – whether they’re planned or in the moment.
- Item #: i_212980Bottle Size: 750MLA light, elegant white wine that balances sweet, juicy flavors with bright acidity.
WINERY NOTES - To create a light, fresh Sauvignon Blanc that displays good balance and vibrant flavors, we blend grapes from three locations: Alexander Valley, Sonoma Valley and Lake County. Alexander Valley fruit provides a core of citrus and juicy tropical fruit flavors. The high elevation volcanic soils of Lake County contribute pretty floral notes and the Sonoma Valley grapes boast distinct mineral nuances. To capture the varietal’s aromatic qualities, the wine is fermented and finished in stainless steel.
- Item #: i_214370Bottle Size: 750mlValia makes this Sauvignon Blanc like many other high-end boutique producers, but she charges a lot less than the others! Aged and fermented in stainless steel, clay amphora, acacia wood, and neutral French oak.
- Item #: i_215910Bottle Size: 750mlGrimm's Bluff was planted solely for the purpose of producing the highest quality grapes and has been lovingly farmed with Biodynamic methods since its inception. Dragonette sources fruit from three blocks here, the largest section in the unique head trained section of the vineyard. Careful farming and low irrigation result in small clusters and very low yields for this variety. These grapes demand fermentation and aging in French oak barriques and specially designed cigar shaped barrels, sur lie, in order to match the texture of the wine and to allow for a long slow evolution. Wines have extraordinary concentration, excellent acidity and a distinct mineral edge.
ANTONIO GALLONI 93 POINTS - "The 2017 Sauvignon Blanc Grimm's Bluff Vineyard shows a distinctly phenolic side of Sauvignon. Sage, orchard fruit, menthol and dried flowers complement a Sauvignon Blanc that really stands out for its sense of structure. Thick-skinned berries add to the wine's powerful, driven feel. I don't think I have ever tasted a Happy Canyon Sauvignon quite like this."
- Item #: i_215991Bottle Size: 750mlThe boys at Dragonette bonded over a bottle of Didier Dagueneau, and searched throughout Santa Barbara's Santa Ynez Valley to find vineyards that could best exemplify the enticing characteristics of this grape. They have found those vineyards, and now their Sauvignon Blancs have become some of our favorites! Happy Canyon, with its unique soils and climate - warm to hot summer days and cool to cold evenings - is ideal for promoting full phenolic ripeness while still retaining critical acidity. This bottling represents an appellation blend of lots they feel express the characteristics of Happy Canyon; explosive, bright yellow and tropical fruits and melons balanced by fresh, clean and present acidity, but without the herbaceousness sometimes associated with the grape. The Happy Canyon bottling is a 50-50 blend of grapes from Grassini and Vogelzang, both top notch vineyards, exquisitely farmed for ultra high quality. The wine was fermented and aged on its lees in 90% neutral oak barrels and 10% stainless steel. The wine demonstrates the classic Vogelzang tropical fruit notes along with the elegant energy of the Grassini vineyard and great body and length.
ANTONIO GALLONI 92 POINTS - "Dragonette's 2018 Sauvignon Blanc Happy Canyon is gorgeous. Bright, floral and energetic, the Sauvignon Blanc Happy Canyon is endowed with striking aromatic intensity and depth, both of which make it incredibly appealing, even in the very early going. This is an especially brisk style for Dragonette, but that is mostly the vintage speaking. Vineyard sites are Grassini and Vogelzang, with some Grimm's Bluff."
- Item #: i_265430Bottle Size: 750mlWinemaking is in Ryan Kunde's blood, growing up as a fifth generation winegrower on his family estate, dating back to 1904. Blending the craft of winemaking with science, Ryan stepped out on his own by starting a new winery with his wife, Katie, and her family.
Brilliant pale straw yellow in color with a tinge of lime green. This wine has a lively nose with aromas of lemon grass, passion fruit, lychee, guava, and lime jumping out of the glass. A harmonious and concentrated balance of classic varietal characteristics and satisfying mid-palate weight. This expressive and versatile wine pairs well with rich cheeses like Brie or Roquefort, Italian pizza, or even a cheeseburger.
- Item #: i_216510Bottle Size: 750mlDry Creek Vineyard has produced Fume Blanc since 1972--this is a wine at the heart and soul of this family winery. Modeled after the classic wines from the Loire Valley in France, this stainless steel-fermented, no-oak style Fume Blanc is crisp, balanced and immediately drinkable. Winery founder David Stare was the first vintner to plant Sauvignon Blanc in the Dry Creek Valley, and they proudly carry his legacy forward in producing this classic, dry, white wine. This is wine as distinctive and vibrant as the sailboats gracing their winery labels since 1982 (they are passionate about the sport!).
The nose on this Fume is rich: notes of citrus, Meyer lemon and kaffir lime, with a touch of creamy gooseberry, spring melon and salt air. The palate starts lush with amply viscosity as flavors of lemon-lime citrus, white peach and lemon grass meld seamlessy--all while being uplifted by streaks of clean minerality and buoyant acidity. Rigged for running, this delicious, crisp, fruit-filled wine is definitely ship-shape and Bristol fashion--perfect for hot August nights and fresh oysters.
- Item #: i_216685Bottle Size: 375ml**Please note, this is a half sized bottleThis delicious wine incorporates small amounts of Sauvignon Musque and Sauvignon Gris which adds a layer of depth and a fleshy, full-bodied mouthfeel. At first swirl, this wine presents tropical aromas of pineapple, passionfruit, melon and orange liqueur. On the palate, flavors of lemon curd, guava, tangerines and mineral notes come through with a slightly creamy, but lively finish. Stainless steel fermentation was supplemented with small amounts of chestnut, acacia and French oak barrels adding additional character and nuance to this delicious wine. Seamless from start to finish, this is an elegant and refined Sauvignon Blanc.
- Item #: i_216680Bottle Size: 750mlWinemaker's Notes - "This delicious wine incorporates small amounts of Sauvignon Musque and Sauvignon Gris which adds a layer of depth and a fleshy, full-bodied mouthfeel. At first swirl, this wine presents tropical aromas of pineapple, passionfruit, melon and candied lemon. On the palate, flavors of lemon curd, guava, tangerines and nectarine come through with a slightly creamy, but lively finish. Stainless steel fermentation was supplemented with small amounts of chestnut, acacia and French oak barrels adding additional character and nuance to this delicious wine. Seamless from start to finish, this is an elegant and refined Sauvignon Blanc."
- Item #: i_216860Bottle Size: 375ml**Please note, this is a half sized bottle375ml - Delightfully rendered in a traditional California style, this inordinately generous wine combines oily vectors of guava, mango, papaya and persimmon with hints of Meyer lemon, kiwi, jasmine, honey and thyme. Unctuous without being cloying, it seems perfectly suitable to richer seafood preparations such as halibut, bass or swordfish. In terms of cheese, we would recommend a creamy havarti as a match made in heaven!
- Item #: i_206630Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94+ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 94+ POINTS - "Bottled in late July, the 2017 Sauvignon Blanc is a real step up from previous vintages, springing from the glass with vibrant lime cordial, orange blossom and grapefruit notes with touches of allspice, honeysuckle, ripe pears, white peaches and struck flint. Medium-bodied with a suggestion of satin to the texture and a fantastic intensity of exuberant citrus fruits and mineral notes, it delivers a very long, refreshing finish. This should age beautifully!"
- Item #: i_223060Bottle Size: 750mlContinuing the legacy of the Wagner Family's other profound wine ventures such as Caymus, Belle Glos, and Conundrum, Jenny Wagner takes the reins of Emmolo Winery and is making a hit with these new releases! Her family has a long-standing history in Napa Valley beginning with her great-grandfather, Italian immigrant, Salvatore Emmolo, who planted grapevines and started a grapevine rootstock nursery in Rutherford in the 1920's. His son, and Jenny's grandfather, Frank Emmolo, ran Emmolo Nursery and built a strong following amongst Napa Valley grapegrowers - becoming the leading supplier to Napa Valley vintners for five decades.
Jenny Wagner believes the key to creating a truly unique expression of California Sauvignon Blanc begins in the vineyards. A variety of effective methods were taken to decrease crop production for higher quality wine, including bloom brushing, root pruning and deficit irrigation. The 2015 vintage had a mild growing season that was longer than usual, allowing for slow ripening and a long "hang time."
In Jenny Wagner's opinion, Sauvignon Blanc runs the risk of being overly herbaceous, overly oaked, or simply one-dimensional. She feels a good Sauvignon Blanc should have natural firm acidity, crisp fruit and bright minerality, like that of a wet stone - a style of Sauvignon Blanc that can be enjoyed on its own as an aperitif or paired with a wide variety of food. This is an elegant and refined style of Sauvignon Blanc that is subtle and balanced, with minerality and bright natural acidity. On the nose, aromas of citrus, iron, wet stone and a hint of D'Anjou pear tempt your senses, while a crisp lightness, balanced acidity and underlying notes of fleshy grapefruit and lime zest please the palate. The significant minerality and soft body rounds out the wine. This Sauvignon Blanc was made to pair with food, yet is very versatile. Bottled using a Guala twist top in lieu of cork.