Sauvignon Blanc is a green-skinned grape variety that originates from the Bordeaux region of France. The grape most likely gets its name from the French words sauvage ("wild") and blanc ("white") due to its early origins as an indigenous grape in South West France. Sauvignon Blanc is planted in many of the world's wine regions, producing a crisp, dry, and refreshing white varietal wine. The grape is also a component of the famous dessert wines from Sauternes and Barsac. Sauvignon Blanc is widely cultivated in France, Chile, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Washington and California. Some New World Sauvignon blancs, particularly from California, may also be called "Fume Blanc". Depending on the climate, the flavor can range from aggressively grassy to sweetly tropical. In cooler climates, the grape has a tendency to produce wines with noticeable acidity and "green flavors" of grass, green bell peppers and nettles with some tropical fruit (such as passion fruit) and floral (such as elderflower) notes. In warmer climates, it can develop more tropical fruit notes but risk losing a lot of aromatics from over-ripeness, leaving only slight grapefruit and tree fruit (such as peach) notes.
- Item #: 211240Bottle Size: 750mlAncient Peak's 2016 Sauvignon Blanc opens with bright aromas of peach, guava, citrus and wet stone. A round, soft texture envelopes the palate with luscious flavors of pear and tropical fruit, all underlain by a subtle minerality. The roundness yields to raciness on the finish, with pitchperfect acidity and lingering notes of lime zest.
- Item #: i_200770Bottle Size: 750mlAlthough Sonoma County appears as just a small puzzle piece in the northern reaches of the state, its unique geography, from its coastal mountain ranges and gaps, to its inland valleys makes for an incredibly diverse and dynamic growing region. Using this to the winery's advantate, Angeline toook careful consideration in selecting each of their vineyard sites throughout the county in order to both showcase its breadth and scope as well as how these different microclimates can complement each other. Rooted in the Russian River Valley, but with sources as far north as the warm, sunny slopes of the Dry Creek Valley, this Sauvignon Blanc pays due homage to its unique home.
With fresh tropical aromas of passionfruit and guava, followed by juicy green apple, gooseberry, and zesty citrus zest this wine is layered with a definitive minerality and subtle savory notes of lemongrass. An easy drinker with a round creamy palate, balanced by a bright acidity and a lingering ripened fruit finish.
- Item #: 203390Bottle Size: 750mlArkenstone sits on a rocky and rugged slope high atop Howell Mountain, looking down into the Napa Valley. The vineyards change in elevation to the tune of 250 feet, and the soils are a mix of Tufa, iron rich red clay, and abundant rocky areas. Even though proprietors Ron and Susan Krausz planted their first vines on the property in 1998, it wasn't until several years later that their first "true" vintage was bottled.
With the help of the talented and famous winemaker Philippe Melka, Ron and Susan tasted many wines and blends from their property for many years. Each year, they listened to which techniques in the vineyard translated to better wine. Again, each year, they fine-tuned these practices until they were sure the vineyard was well-established, trained properly, and were producing world-class wines.
Enter Sam Kaplan; Arkenstone Vineyard Manager and Winemaker since their commercial release. Sam has, since day one at Arkenstone, farmed the vineyards organically. Sam is exceptionally knowledgeable, and not only uses Arkenstone's state-of-the-art winemaking facility to its fullest, but he also knows when to be "hands off", and let the vineyard's own characteristics shine; terroir, if you will.
When Arkenstone decided to expand their Sauvignon Blanc program, they found a site high in the Eastern/ Mountains of Napa Valley that sits just above the fog at elevations mirroring that of Arkenstone's Howell Mountain Estate. Over the course of a couple years they established an amazing block of Sauvignon Blanc using the same clone as Arkenstone's Estate. Utilizing the same winemaking technique that makes Arkenstone's Estate Sauvignon Blanc so special, and Winemaker, Sam Kaplan’s oversight in the vineyard, this 100% Sauvignon Blanc is a stunning addition Arkenstone's family of wines.
- Item #: 201530Bottle Size: 750mlArrow and Branch proprietors (and Laguna Beach locals) Steve and Seanne Contursi share a great love for the wines of Bordeaux, particularly those produced with a large quantity of Cabernet Franc, such as Chateau Cheval Blanc. The couple sought out their Coombsville vineyard property with an eye to producing top-quality Cabernet Franc-based wines from Napa Valley. They bought the Arrow and Branch Vineyard in November 2007, as this vineyard was the source of Tony Soter's renowned and highly rated Little Creek Cabernet Franc. The Contursi's have maintained the organic farming and, through their work with the detail-oriented Viticulturalist Mike Wolf, are continually improving this wonderful vineyard site.
One of the rising stars of Napa Valley winemaking, Jennifer Williams, was named Winemaker for Arrow and Branch in April 2011. After years of working with and learning from legendary winemakers such as Rosemary Cakebread, Francoise Peschon, and the Novak family, Jennifer now brings her outstanding talents and experience to Arrow and Branch. In 2002, Williams joined Araujo and Spottswoode as a harvest intern, splitting her time between these two great winemaking estates. At Spottswoode, Jennifer was drawn to the philosophy of organic and sustainable farming, which Tony Soter had introduced in 1985. Following harvest, she joined their team full time, working under guru David Abreu in the fields and Rosemary Cakebread in the winery. In 2004, with a deeper understanding of the estate vineyard, she took over as Vineyard Manager and was Spottswoode's Winemaker from 2006 to 2011. The San Francisco Chronicle named Jennifer a "Winemaker to Watch" in 2007.
From their high elevation vineyard about 1300 feet atop Atlas Peak, this is their first vintage fully sourced from Stagecoach Vineyard. The cool evenings and temperate days make for ideal Sauvignon Blanc conditions. This vineyard produces fruit full in flavor while retaining a bright acidity that is signature of Arrow and Branch Sauvignon Blanc. Fermented in oak and stainless to preserve the freshness and lees aged to give the wine some roundness.
- Item #: i_204800Bottle Size: 750mlWINEMAKERS NOTES - "Vibrant and fresh…This Sauvignon Blanc is easy to enjoy. Bogle winemakers use reductive winemaking techniques and cold fermentation in stainless steel tanks to create a classically-styled wine which captivates the true varietal essence of the grape. Lively citrus zest and lemongrass notes color the nose, while the clean and and refreshing flavors of key lime and freshly cut grass are intensely aromatic. The mouthfeel, bracing with acidity, remains laced with touches of softer, enticing fruit. Finishing crisp and satisfying, this wine makes your mouth water for more."
- Item #: 205930Bottle Size: 750MLVinous Media: 90This perennial favorite, named after owner and winemaker Fred Brander's late daughter, is a blend of 32% Sauvignon Blanc, 20% Pinot Gris and 48% Riesling, this shows as a very pale gold in the glass, and opens with aromas of Anjou pear, white nectarines, and honeysuckle.
- Item #: 205940Bottle Size: 750MLA classic example of a white Bordeaux. Aged sur-lie for in 50% new French oak barrels to add richness in flavor and silkiness to the texture while still showcasing firm balanced acidity. A perfect pairing with Santa Barbara's richer seafood - we're thinking lobster with lemon butter or grilled salmon.
- Item #: i_208040Bottle Size: 750MLCADE is owned by the same owners as Plumpjack... and in their typical fashion, they would never be "happy enough" to make a "good" Sauvignon Blanc: CADE only wants to make outstanding Sauvignon Blanc! In order to do this, they ferment their grapes in a combination of stainless steel tanks, stainless steel drums, French oak and concrete eggs. In addition, a combination of native and cultured yeasts are used, and the culmination of all this helps to give the wine aromatic and textural complexity.
CADE's 2017 Napa Valley Sauvignon Blanc has aromas of lemon, lime, grapefruit, honeydew melon, orange peel, and white flowers. In the palate, there are more vibrant citrus, melon, honeysuckle flavors followed by a crisp acidity and touch of minerality. The Semillon and Viognier in the blend add another layer of complexity to the wine with flavors of kiwi and lemon cream pie. By fermenting the wine in stainless steel, French oak, and concrete, we are also building layers of complexity in the wine. The barrel fermentations add texture, density, and viscosity to the mid palate of the wine. The concrete adds a touch of flint and minerality to the finish of the wine as well as adding some mid palate richness. The stainless steel fermentations preserve the natural Sauvignon Blanc aromatics and the vibrant acidity and crispness.
- Item #: 207260Bottle Size: 750mlA blend of 39% Semillon from Monte Rosso Vineyard, 33% Muscadelle from Pagani Ranch, and 28% Colombard, Muscadelle, and Palomino from Mancini Ranch.
Winery's Tasting Notes: "Quinine, grapefruit, quince, and citrus pith all stand out in the engaging aromas. Medium bodied, yellow fruits mingle with a slight herbaceous note reminding me of newly baled hay. Plenty of verve and minerality in the refreshing finish. Fruitier (but not riper) than the
- Item #: 210110Bottle Size: 750mlChalk Hill's 2016 Sauvignon Blanc showcases pleasant aromas lime blossom, guava, grapefruit and toasted fennel. A balanced wine, it is both crisp and complex with flavors of nectarine, grapefruit zest, and guava on the forefront. It finishes with rich texture and a graceful minerality.
- Item #: i_209560Bottle Size: 750mlJohn Bolta worked the Caymus bottling line for years before he began to work alongside Chuck Wager in the winemaking duties. In 1988, John became the winemaker for the white wines, and he created Conundrum, a blend unlike any other at the time. The idea is to produce a wine full of fruit flavors, yet retain complexity and balance. While this wine is often imitated, there truly is only one Conundrum white wine. Grapes come from Napa, Monterey, and Santa Barbara Counties, and the wine is a blend of Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, Semillon, Muscat Canelli, and Viognier. From the second you pour yourself a glass, you are invited with intriguing aromas of green apple, tangerine, and honeysuckle blossoms. The taste is best described as exotic and ever so slightly sweet, with layers of peach, apricot nectar, green melon and pear, overlaid with subtle notes of citrus zest and spicy vanilla. A rich, round mouth feel supported by fresh acidity brings the complexity of this wine into balance.
- Item #: 215410Bottle Size: 750mlOn the vine, this fruit was expressive, exhibiting tropical notes as well as hints of exotic fruits with lively acidity. The combination of the luscious grapes and native fermentation in concrete egg created a wine reminiscent of the fine Bordeaux blancs from the Pessac-leognan region. Enjoy the tangerine and pink grapefruit nuances supported by a bright acidity on the finish.
- Item #: i_215991Bottle Size: 750mlThe boys at Dragonette bonded over a bottle of Didier Dagueneau, and searched throughout Santa Barbara's Santa Ynez Valley to find vineyards that could best exemplify the enticing characteristics of this grape. They have found those vineyards, and now their Sauvignon Blancs have become some of our favorites! Happy Canyon, with its unique soils and climate - warm to hot summer days and cool to cold evenings - is ideal for promoting full phenolic ripeness while still retaining critical acidity. This bottling represents an appellation blend of lots they feel express the characteristics of Happy Canyon; explosive, bright yellow and tropical fruits and melons balanced by fresh, clean and present acidity, but without the herbaceousness sometimes associated with the grape. The Happy Canyon bottling is a 50-50 blend of grapes from Grassini and Vogelzang, both top notch vineyards, exquisitely farmed for ultra high quality. The wine was fermented and aged on its lees in 90% neutral oak barrels and 10% stainless steel. The wine demonstrates the classic Vogelzang tropical fruit notes along with the elegant energy of the Grassini vineyard and great body and length.
- Item #: i_216510Bottle Size: 750mlDry Creek Vineyard has produced Fume Blanc since 1972--this is a wine at the heart and soul of this family winery. Modeled after the classic wines from the Loire Valley in France, this stainless steel-fermented, no-oak style Fume Blanc is crisp, balanced and immediately drinkable. Winery founder David Stare was the first vintner to plant Sauvignon Blanc in the Dry Creek Valley, and they proudly carry his legacy forward in producing this classic, dry, white wine. This is wine as distinctive and vibrant as the sailboats gracing their winery labels since 1982 (they are passionate about the sport!).
The nose on this Fume is rich: notes of citrus, Meyer lemon and kaffir lime, with a touch of creamy gooseberry, spring melon and salt air. The palate starts lush with amply viscosity as flavors of lemon-lime citrus, white peach and lemon grass meld seamlessy--all while being uplifted by streaks of clean minerality and buoyant acidity. Rigged for running, this delicious, crisp, fruit-filled wine is definitely ship-shape and Bristol fashion--perfect for hot August nights and fresh oysters.
- Item #: i_216685Bottle Size: 375ml**Please note, this is a half sized bottleThis delicious wine incorporates small amounts of Sauvignon Musque and Sauvignon Gris which adds a layer of depth and a fleshy, full-bodied mouthfeel. At first swirl, this wine presents tropical aromas of pineapple, passionfruit, melon and orange liqueur. On the palate, flavors of lemon curd, guava, tangerines and mineral notes come through with a slightly creamy, but lively finish. Stainless steel fermentation was supplemented with small amounts of chestnut, acacia and French oak barrels adding additional character and nuance to this delicious wine. Seamless from start to finish, this is an elegant and refined Sauvignon Blanc.
- Item #: 216680Bottle Size: 750mlWinemaker's Notes - "This delicious wine incorporates small amounts of Sauvignon Musque and Sauvignon Gris which adds a layer of depth and a fleshy, full-bodied mouthfeel. At first swirl, this wine presents tropical aromas of pineapple, passionfruit, melon and orange liqueur. On the palate, flavors of lemon curd, guava, tangerines and mineral notes come through with a slightly creamy, but lively finish. Stainless steel fermentation was supplemented with small amounts of chestnut, acacia and French oak barrels adding additional character and nuance to this delicious wine. Seamless from start to finish, this is an elegant and refined Sauvignon Blanc."
- Item #: i_271459Bottle Size: 750MLBoth crisp and complex, this lovely Sauvignon Blanc displays enticing aromas of grapefruit, summer melon, lemongrass and lime zest with subtle hints of boxwood and Mandarin orange. Though it is crisp and refreshing from start to finish, there is a richness to the mid-palate that supports the vibrant fruit with a note of flinty minerality adding nuance and depth.
- Item #: i_216860Bottle Size: 375ml**Please note, this is a half sized bottle375ml - Delightfully rendered in a traditional California style, this inordinately generous wine combines oily vectors of guava, mango, papaya and persimmon with hints of Meyer lemon, kiwi, jasmine, honey and thyme. Unctuous without being cloying, it seems perfectly suitable to richer seafood preparations such as halibut, bass or swordfish. In terms of cheese, we would recommend a creamy havarti as a match made in heaven!
- Item #: 206630Bottle Size: 750mlROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 92+ POINTS - "Bottled in June 2016, the 2016 Sauvignon Blanc gives up intense white peaches, grapefruit and lemon tart notes with hints of dried herbs, struck match, baker's yeast and fresh hay. Medium-bodied, the palate lends a lovely satiny texture with a refreshing backbone lifting the vibrant citrus flavors, finishing long and steely. Drinking nicely now, it should cellar gracefully for 5-7+ years. 600 were cases made."
- Item #: 223060Bottle Size: 750mlContinuing the legacy of the Wagner Family's other profound wine ventures such as Caymus, Belle Glos, and Conundrum, Jenny Wagner takes the reins of Emmolo Winery and is making a hit with these new releases! Her family has a long-standing history in Napa Valley beginning with her great-grandfather, Italian immigrant, Salvatore Emmolo, who planted grapevines and started a grapevine rootstock nursery in Rutherford in the 1920's. His son, and Jenny's grandfather, Frank Emmolo, ran Emmolo Nursery and built a strong following amongst Napa Valley grapegrowers - becoming the leading supplier to Napa Valley vintners for five decades.
Jenny Wagner believes the key to creating a truly unique expression of California Sauvignon Blanc begins in the vineyards. A variety of effective methods were taken to decrease crop production for higher quality wine, including bloom brushing, root pruning and deficit irrigation. The 2015 vintage had a mild growing season that was longer than usual, allowing for slow ripening and a long "hang time."
In Jenny Wagner's opinion, Sauvignon Blanc runs the risk of being overly herbaceous, overly oaked, or simply one-dimensional. She feels a good Sauvignon Blanc should have natural firm acidity, crisp fruit and bright minerality, like that of a wet stone - a style of Sauvignon Blanc that can be enjoyed on its own as an aperitif or paired with a wide variety of food. This is an elegant and refined style of Sauvignon Blanc that is subtle and balanced, with minerality and bright natural acidity. On the nose, aromas of citrus, iron, wet stone and a hint of D'Anjou pear tempt your senses, while a crisp lightness, balanced acidity and underlying notes of fleshy grapefruit and lime zest please the palate. The significant minerality and soft body rounds out the wine. This Sauvignon Blanc was made to pair with food, yet is very versatile. Bottled using a Guala twist top in lieu of cork.