Portuguese wine is the result of traditions introduced to the region by ancient civilizations, such as the Phoenicians, Carthaginians, Greeks, and mostly the Romans. Portugal produces a wide variety of different wines with distinctive personality because they have a large array of native varietals.
- Item #: i_377154Bottle Size: 750mlArca Nova Vino Verde is made by Quinta das Arcas, a small estate owned and operated by the Monteiro family. All of their grapes are estate grown between their 4 estates in the Vinho Verde and Alentejo regions. Their vines are trellised so the clusters are growing about 6 feet above the ground to allow the wind to remove the humidity. Vinho Verde means ‘Green Wine’ and is both the name of the wine and the name of the region. Stylistically, all Vinho Verdes are light, clean, fresh, and citrusy. Effervescence is added to Vinho Verde wines to increase their shelf life. The U.S. is currently the world’s largest importing country for Vinho Verde wines.
Arca Nova Vinho Verde is a crisp, dry, slightly effervescent, light bodied white wine with a pale yellow color and youthful, floral, citrus aromas that are reminiscent of freshly cut grass. Moderately intense on the palate with lemon, green apple, and peach flavors and a medium finish.
This wine is made from 50% Loureiro, 40% Arinto and 10% Treixadura using sustainable farming of vineyards ranging from 6 to 30 years old at elevations from 300 to 1000 feet. Residual Sugar: 6.0 grams per liter. Alcohol: 10.5%
Enjoy Arca Nova Vinho Verde as the perfect summer apéritif wine and with oysters, filet of sole, grilled shrimp, sushi, and summer salads.
- Item #: i_382457Bottle Size: 750mlWinemaker's Notes - "Vinho Verde, the most popular white wine from Portugal, is a deliciously refreshing, light wine. "Verde", meaning "Green" refers to the hints of lime color. It is an ideal warm weather wine, excellent for lunch and picnics, or an evening apertif. It makes a brilliant pairing with any fish, shellfish and poultry."
- Item #: i_383667Bottle Size: 750mlTouriga Nacional, Touriga Franca, Cabernet Sauvignon
After all varieties are fermented separately, aging occurs, up to 14 months, in French (80%) and American (20%) oak barrels.
Earning the reputation as a benchmark wine in the Tagus' region, Mythos is a full-bodied red wine, with superb ripe fruit with a rich tannin structure. A powerfully modern red wine that will age well for 8 - 10 years. Suitable for stronger meals, lamb and game red meat.
- Item #: i_378609Bottle Size: 750mlWe've been fortunate lately to discover a fresh crop of striking and beautiful wines from Portugal. The appeal is immediate. When we tasted the Chocapalha line-up last month alongside the rest of winemaker Sandra Tavares's ventures we decided our "Wine of the Month 2" on the spot—and added white "Arinto" bottling as a companion, almost a "Wine of the Month 2.5." The wines are layered, aromatic, with balanced alcohols and enlivening acidity, but also show a depth of fruit that is immediately appealing. You probably won't recognize many of the grape varieties in these wines, but the discovery here is half the fun and the prices are amazing for the quality.
This ancient estate is nestled in the sun-drenched hills near Alenquer, just northwest of Lisbon. The Tavares da Silva family has nurtured the vineyards over the years, and today their youngest daughter, Sandra, is making some of the most exciting wines in Portugal. Sandra has built a name for herself as a modern and mindful winemaker in the Duoro Region.
It's easy to picture Lisbon as sunny and blessed with great beaches, but there is also quite a bit of wind and maritime coolness in the climate here that sharpens the aromatics and acidity. The Arinto grape is not known widely, but Sandra Tavares made something special and undeniable here. Look for scents of ripe yellow plum and summer stone fruits mixing with a citrusy core of ruby grape-fruit citrus, lemon, and kumquat in a mineral style. There is an electric zip to this wine that reminds us of Chablis or the best New Zealand Sauvignon Blancs.
- Item #: i_380431Bottle Size: 750MLThe 2017 Post Scriptum de Chryseia is principally a Touriga Nacional / Touriga Franca blend. Not overly concentrated, it does have beautiful, lifted fruit and an enticing fresh feel to it. In its own subtle way, this is focused and very appealing and a complete charmer. Perfumed and almost Margaux-like! Bone dry and rather refined.
- Item #: i_383700Bottle Size: 750ml100% Baga
The Pato family has been producing wine at Quinta do Ribeirinho since, at least, the eighteen century. João Pato started to bottle the wine from his vineyards in 1970, becoming the first winegrower in Bairrada region after its demarcation. His son Luis Pato inherited this nonconformist and pioneer spirit and in 1980 produces his first wine, a pure Baga from an exceptional quality and absolute rareness that is sought by appreciators as a treasure. In 1985 begins 2 revolutions at Bairrada: destems Baga grapes and matures the wine in new French oak casks. In 1988 he plants Baga from ungrafted vines to understand pre-phyloxera wines and produces the first Vinhas Velhas’ wine from Portugal. In 1990 participates, for the first time, as a judge at International Wine Challenge, a contest that he assumes as a tasting school and a guidance that shows him new wines and the volatility of the consumers’ taste. In the 60 hectares of vineyards there are planted the grapes Baga, Touriga Nacional e Tinto Cão in red varieties, in white varieties there are Maria Gomes, Bical, Cercial da Bairrada e Sercialinho nas variedades brancas.
- Item #: i_383648Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 90WINE ADVOCATE 90 POINTS - "The 2019 ALLO (the "AL" being 30% Alvarinho, the "LO" referencing 70% Loureiro) is dry and comes in at 11.5% alcohol. This is a blend that relies on a classic vision of Loureiro for its personality and style. It has the slight delicacy of expressive Loureiro, and it dances brightly and lightly across the tongue. It is clean and transparent. Fresh and pure, this is a well-priced blend that excels again this year. In fact, the next day it fleshed out and opened up. It seemed more substantial then and still elegant. The price is certainly right."
- Item #: i_379852Bottle Size: 750mlWine Enthusiast: 94 PointsTouriga Nacional, Touriga Franca, Sousão, Tinta Amarela, Tinta Barroca, & Tinta Roriz
Quinta dos Murças Reserva comes from old vines planted at altitudes between 150m (490 ft) and 280 meters (915 ft), facing west. This is the classic version of a ‘quinta’ (estate) wine, where the emphasis is on the terroir to produce elegant wines with great aging potential. It is made via fermentation with indigenous yeasts and temperature control (25ºC – 28ºC) in granite ‘lagares’ using foot treading and pressing in an old-style vertical press.
WINE ENTHUSIAST 94 POINTS; EDITOR'S CHOICE - "This is a rich wine based on a field blend of traditional Douro grapes. It is massively concentrated, firm and properly mature, with rich black fruit and spice leading the flavors. It is perfectly aged and ready to drink."
"Complex and elegant aroma of mature dark berry fruits, with balsamic notes and integrated spicy notes from oak barrel ageing."- WINERY NOTES
- Item #: i_380863Bottle Size: 750MLRegion: Vinho Verde sub-region of Monção and Melgaço 100% Alvarinho (The superstar white grape of the Vinho Verde region aka Albariño across the border in Spain. It can make rich, full-bodied and fragrant whites and in Portugal they tend to have a more mineral based structure)Nose of jasmine flower, citrus, and pear. The palate is intense with steely minerality, and lush tropical fruit notes. Dry, medium bodied, with lively acidity, and a long finish. This wine is lean and mineral driven with a focused intensity when young but transforms with gorgeous smoky citrus nuances with a bit of age which it can do for many years to come!
- Item #: i_383725Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "The 2018 Alvarinho Primeiras Vinhas is partly (15%) oak aged for six months in used French barrels and comes in at 13% alcohol and is bone dry. When last seen, this was in a somewhat awkward condition, but it held plenty of promise. It is still a young puppy, but it is starting to fulfill that promise. Likely to be very long lived, this is textured with velvet and finishes with power. The modest wood treatment gives this a touch of cream, but the fruit easily rises above it while the acidity dices the wood into tiny splinters. By the next day, you hardly notice that there is wood. Overall, this is beautiful—not surprising for this benchmark bottling. It is still on the upswing. You might find rewards if you hold it for another couple of years. It will become more expressive. There is no rush to dive into it. It is a great value, always one of the best intersections of price and quality in the region. Of course, its unoaked siblings are as well. Which you prefer is often a matter of taste and how you intend to use them. They are very close this issue, but this might win because it is a year older and more developed."
- Item #: i_382145Bottle Size: 750mlViosinho, Rabigato, Códega do Larinho and Gouveio
A small producer, and a store favorite, Wine & Soul is run by a wife & husband team. "Guru" is fermented and aged in new French oak for seven months, and shares a lot in common with a good Pessac-Leognan or Burgundy: light bodied, bright citrus (like lemon and grapefruit) along with some riper fruits (like peach and pineapple), and some cedary spice from oak.