Portuguese wine is the result of traditions introduced to the region by ancient civilizations, such as the Phoenicians, Carthaginians, Greeks, and mostly the Romans. Portugal produces a wide variety of different wines with distinctive personality because they have a large array of native varietals.
- Item #: 377154Bottle Size: 750mlArca Nova Vino Verde is made by Quinta das Arcas, a small estate owned and operated by the Monteiro family. All of their grapes are estate grown between their 4 estates in the Vinho Verde and Alentejo regions. Their vines are trellised so the clusters are growing about 6 feet above the ground to allow the wind to remove the humidity. Vinho Verde means
- Item #: 382457Bottle Size: 750mlWinemaker's Notes - "Vinho Verde, the most popular white wine from Portugal, is a deliciously refreshing, light wine. "Verde", meaning "Green" refers to the hints of lime color. It is an ideal warm weather wine, excellent for lunch and picnics, or an evening apertif. It makes a brilliant pairing with any fish, shellfish and poultry."
- Item #: 378601Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 90We've been fortunate lately to discover a fresh crop of striking and beautiful wines from Portugal. The appeal is immediate. When we tasted the Chocapalha line-up last month alongside the rest of winemaker Sandra Tavares's ventures we decided our "Wine of the Month 2" on the spot
- Item #: 380431Bottle Size: 750MLThe 2014 Post Scriptum de Chryseia is principally a Touriga Nacional / Touriga Franca blend. Not overly concentrated, it does have beautiful, lifted fruit and an enticing fresh feel to it. In its own subtle way, this is focused and very appealing and a complete charmer. Perfumed and almost Margaux-like! Bone dry and rather refined.
- Item #: 383637Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 90Every now and then we get something great tossed in our lap-- in this case, it's an under-the-radar, delicious Portuguese wine at a steep discount. Normally retailing at $19.95, we are passing the savings on to you and offering it on sale at $13.95. Pretty darn good for a 90-point, Wine Spectator Top 100 selection!
While more well known for their fortified eponymous wines, Portugal's 'regular' still wines give great insight to how their fortified cousins have fared so well over the centuries: the base wines are flat-out delicious. The potential for greatness is there: the terroir, the passion, the history; the components are available to make world-class wines. That this wine is as good as it is for such a reasonable price is a great sign for the future of Portuguese (non-Port) wines.
This Tinto (red wine) is comprised of 40% Touriga Nacional, 40% Touriga Franca and 20% Tinto Roriz from the Douro region. The grapes are de-stemmed and gently crushed in stainless steel lagares (troughs) by robotized treading where the pre-fermentative maceration takes place at low temperature. Fermentation in stainless steel tanks at the controlled temperature of 28
- Item #: 381354Bottle Size: 750mlEladio wanted to make red wine, and he knew Rias Baixas was not the place for it, so he bought an estate with vineyards near his holiday home in the Alentejo and made a red wine which is again about as far from an
- Item #: 377243Bottle Size: 750mlWINE ENTHUSIAST 95 POINTS - "This markes the 17th vintage of this wine, a joint venture between the Symington family and Bordeaux consultant Bruno Pratts (Cos Estournel former owner). Based entirely on fruit from Quintas de Roriz and Perdiz, this smooth structured wine has many of the characteristics of Bordeaux with its new wood and elegant texture."
WINE ADVOCATE - "The 2012 Post Scriptum de Chryseia is principally a Touriga Nacional / Touriga Franca blend, with tiny quantities of other grapes, aged for 13 months 400-liter French oak. It is a fresh and elegant PS this year. Not overly concentrated, it does have beautiful, lifted fruit and an enticing fresh feel to it. In its own subtle way, this focused and very appealing PS should be a complete charmer. If it evolves well, it may yet be entitled to an uptick, but it won't disappoint at its typically nice price."
- Item #: 383648Bottle Size: 750ml- WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "The 2016 ALLO is a 70/30 blend of Alvarinho and Loureiro, unoaked and coming in at 11% alcohol. (The name, of course, comes from the AL of Alvarinho and the LO of Loureiro.) This is a fine new brand from Soalheiro. Showing superb concentration, plenty of acidity and that hit of "Soalheiro green," as I like to call it, this is beautiful, lingering, tightly wound and very invigorating. Indeed, it is simply intense in its youth, yet it is also perfectly balanced. I'm willing to bet that it will age rather well, too, but let's be a bit conservative there, even considering Soalheiro's reputation in that regard. There is no rush, but this will be a perfect wine to wake you up this summer. Sourced from 20-year-old vines, there were 50,000 bottles produced."
- Item #: 379497Bottle Size: 750mlWINE ENTHUSIAST 94 POINTS - "Tinta Roriz (aka Tempranillo) was once believed to be the finest grape for Douro table wines. While that view has been modified, it still makes an impressive wine. With 18 months in wood and super-ripe fruit, the wine is concentrated and opulent. It has fine tannins and acidity that are at the service of this great fruitiness. The wine will age further, with maturity likely to occur by 2020."
- Item #: 383633Bottle Size: 750mlQuinta do Crasto has crafted another winner! We recently featured the Quinta do Crasto Superior and it was a huge hit with our customers. Many tried a bottle and returned to buy more once they tasted the quality. Now is a great time to explore a bit more as we just received the Quinta do Crasto Reserva. It is also made with native Portuguese grapes, but the Reserva is sourced from Old Vines. As many of our customers know, old vines have lower yields resulting in more mouth-filling concentration. This fantastic red blend is rich yet lively and offers more depth and complexity than the Superior.
Situated on the right bank of the Douro River, between the towns of R