Austrian wines are mostly dry white wines (often made from the Grüner Veltliner grape), though some sweeter white wines (such as dessert wines made around the Neusiedler See) are also produced. About 30% of the wines are red, made from Blaufränkisch (also known as Lemberger, or as Kékfrankos in neighbouring Hungary), Pinot Noir and locally bred varieties such as Zweigelt. The country is also home to Riedel, makers of some of the most expensive wine glasses in the world. Some of the best producers of Austria include Weingut F.X. Pichler and Weingut Franz Hirtzberger, Weingut Hutter, Weingut Eigl and Wellanschitz.
- Item #: i_311875Bottle Size: 750mlBiodynamic. Alzigner’s‘Muhlpoint’ Gruner is firm, spicy, and loaded with notes of tropical fruit, white pepper, and citrus rind. Zesty acidity and a grippy mid-palate lead to a lasting and persistent finish. Serve with a variety of fish, salads, and lunchable items.
- Item #: i_311874Bottle Size: 750mlOrganic. Biodynamic.
The Alzinger 2019 Gruner Veltliner Steinertal possesses an impression of completeness and radiant depth. The wine amazes with its impactful mineral drive, crackling citrus-inflected energy, and overall purity. Only the best vintages of Gruner Steinertal hit this level of lift and elegance.
Fabulous aromas of oolong tea turn to pineapple, grapefruit and savory mineral detail on the palate in this exquisite Gruner Veltliner. Viscous, yet vibrant, this shows some spice on the finish. Brilliantly harmonious, yet should show even more with some age.
- Item #: i_306004Bottle Size: 1LYes, folks, this wine comes in a (1.0) liter bottle, which means you get to have more fun! Representing the fresh, crisp and refreshingly tangy side of Grüner Veltliner in the perennially-popular liter format, this is the bottling that Terry Theise calls the class of the [liter] category. Dry, crisp, and impeccably clean, this wine delivers delicious flavors of white flowers, pepper, and pink grapefruit, underscoredby an attractive leesiness - quintessential value Gruner Veltliner. Bottled under a crown cap; you'll need a bottle opener, not a corkscrew.
- Item #: i_311876Bottle Size: 750mlJAMESSUCKLING.COM - 92 POINTS - A layered, fruity white with a tight palate of dried pear, apple and some lemon. Minerally undertone. It’s full-bodied, yet tight and focused. Lovely citrusy undertone to this. From organically grown grapes. Drink now. Screw cap.
- Item #: i_306866Bottle Size: 750mlNATURAL WINE, UNFILTERED
WINE ENTHUSIAST 92 POINTS - "Pink-hued and funky, this skin-contact orange wine brims with clementine and orange peel notes on the nose, supported by an overtone of honeysuckle. The light palate has a texture reminiscent of citrus pith and tingles with freshness, while clementine and white pepper notes are highlighted by the bone-dry nature. It is compelling and wonderfully light." - Anne Krebiehl MW
Demeter Certified Biodynamic
90% Pinot Gris, 10% Muskateller
- Item #: i_307464Bottle Size: 750mlJAMESSUCKLING.COM - 95 POINTS
A very tight, composed white, showing dried-apple, lemon and spiced-pear character with heather and honeysuckle. It’s full-bodied with lots of lively fruit and a vivid finish. Structured. Super wine at this quality level from one of the legends. From organically grown grapes. Drink or hold. Screw cap. - Stuart Piggott.
CHRISTIAN TSCHIDA 2019 HIMMEL AUF ERDEN ROSE 750ML "HEAVEN ON EARTH" NATURAL WINE, BIODYNAMIC, ORGANICItem #: i_303971Bottle Size: 750mlA rare, small-production natural rose wine made of Cabernet Franc. Christian's cab franc is something of a work of art for those who value the left-of-center. Hand harvested, destemmed, and crushed by foot, the juice ferments in large barrels with indigenous yeast and no racking. It spends 1 year aging in 500 to 1500-liter barrels and is bottled without fining or filtering and no addition of sulfur. Intensely raw, with an air of wild raspberry and other red berries, watermelon, tomato leaf, bunches of herbs and garden soil. There's the fizzing acid of fermentation still persisting, too. Light, yet ferociously savory and forward. If you are a fan of the ultra-rare Lopez de Heredia Rosado, this is most certainly in that genre. Truly a meditation wine...a wine to sit down with, and think about life.
- Item #: i_306864Bottle Size: 750mlImporter: Jenny & Francois Selections
Demeter Certified Biodynamic
Timotheus’s second wife and Winifred’s stepmother. An easy-going and somewhat voluptuous lady, she first found the love of her life at a slightly older age. Shaped by her tempestuous youth, she is an unconventional type that radiates vitality and enjoys life to the fullest. She feels most at home in company, is open to strangers, and rewards friends with deep insights into her innermost qualities.
Age of Vines: 35 years old
Yields: 1.5-2.5 tons per hectare
Varieties: Blaufrankish and Roesler
Vinification Method: Grapes are hand harvested and destemmed. Fermentation takes place in used 500, 1000 and 1500-liter barrels. The wine goes through elevage in 500-liter barrels for about 8 months, with no batonnage. The wine is bottled unfined, unfiltered, and with zero addition of sulfur.
- Item #: i_342392Bottle Size: 750mlWINE ENTHUSIAST 90 POINTS - "Ripe notes of fresh green and yellow pear and melon make for a most friendly, appetizing nose. The light palate comes in with freshness and an easy, slightly pithy texture. The finish is dry and suave."
- Item #: i_307465Bottle Size: 1LBiodynamic.
Berger's Gruner Veltliner is the quintessential Summer sipper! This Austrian white grape variety produces a crisp and mineral-focused wine with hints of citrus, lemon peel, lychee, and a touch of spiciness that may remind you of white pepper. Its refreshingly crisp body works great on a warm Summer day, especially when you're outdoors.
- Item #: i_331142Bottle Size: 1LZweigelt is an Austrian classic. This variety was created in 1922, when Dr. Fritz Zweigelt crossed two grapes - St Laurent and Blaufränkisch.
The wine offers delicate strawberry, cherry and floral aromas. On the palate it is medium-bodied, lively and refreshing, beautifully balanced. A long and pleasant finish. Enjoy as an aperitif or with any light fare with friends.
- Item #: i_362365Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 92WINE & SPIRITS 96 POINTS - "2017 Wachau Freigest Gruner Veltliner “The back label suggests shaking this up before serving, so I did,” said our pourer as he placed the glasses in front of us. Made from grüner veltliner macerated with its skins and then left on them for 35 days, this was pressed into 500-liter Manhartsberger oak barrels to rest on the lees for 10 months; it was bottled without filtering, and with very little sulfur. The result, when it’s shaken up, is as cloudy as a hefeweizen beer. And it feels like a cloud—a pillowy cumulonimbus filled with aroma. There’s a hint of cedar, ginger, peach skin and porcini as it scuds across the palate; with air, those notes become more grüner-like, scents of orange mingling with herbs, all of it carried with a green-apple verve. It’s clean and energetic, with a mesmerizing balance of weightlessness and fullness that would suit sushi extremely well."
WINE SPECTATOR 92 POINTS - "An intriguing version, cloudy, with obvious skin contact shown through the soft tannins that add to the corduroy texture. The flavor profile is impressive and expressive, featuring notes of green tea, tobacco, lemon peel and sea salt. More on a savory side, but would be great with food. Best from 2022 through 2032. 35 cases imported."
- Item #: i_333322Bottle Size: 750mlNEW from Meinklang. A delightful, bright blend of Zweigelt and Sankt Laurent. Natural. Unfiltered. Pure, fresh cranberry on the nose. This is a very lively natural, unfiltered wine with sour cherry fruit, brambly red fruits, more of that cranberry on the palate, with a finish of framboise/raspberry, and a bright, zippy finish. Alcohol: 11%. Please chill before serving.
- Item #: i_333311Bottle Size: 750mlA Pet-Nat in our Austrian section. This skin contact, unfiltered sparkling wine made of Pinot Grigio, and has intense apple notes, and fun to the core, with a complex nose. Serve chilled. Natural wine. Biodynamic and Demeter Certified.
- Item #: i_333312Bottle Size: 750mlIt sounds pretty nuts: Create a 2,000 hectare farm on marshlands that used to be part of Austria’s biggest lake, let your Pinot Grigio vineyard run wild without any pruning, harvest, then ferment in concrete eggs with the skins for three weeks. That’s exactly how biodynamic estate Meinklang produced this delicious bottle. The name “Graupert” is a nice pun on the grape variety (Grauburgunder in German) and old Burgenland slang for someone a bit scruffy.
This delicious, still wine is made of 100% Pinot Grigio from Austria in Burgenland. This is a Natural wine… unfiltered, unfined, with skin contact. In the glass, it is a cloudy pink orange color. Fruit reminiscent of orange citrus and pomegranite. Drink chilled. Delicious. Biodynamic, Demeter Certified.
Grape Variety: Pinot Gris
Soil type: Clay
Vessel type: Cement - Egg, Stainless Steel
This wine is fermented spontaneously.
"This Pinot Grigio from Meinklang is produced on Austria’s largest biodynamic farm, but it drinks like a rare gem, and should be treasured as such. Not only does it pop with flavor, but it will give you some real feels. Cloudy and ripe cantaloupe in color, the Graupert has a seductive musk of apricot, nectarine, orange rind, and gardenia, and tastes like pithy grapefruit and lemonade with a tight, striking acidity that races right to your loins. It’s sexual tension in a glass, and I honestly catch myself batting my eyelashes at it every time I drink it." - Marissa A. Ross, Bon Appetit Magazine.
- Item #: i_372094Bottle Size: 750mlWINE ENTHUSIAST - 90 POINTS
Fresh notes of green Conference pears mix with a vivid overtone of pear drop. The palate speak of crisp freshness, clean-cut pear fruit, subtle yeasty nuance and fine concentration. This is slender but wonderfully fresh and bright. ANNE KREBIEHL MW
The Gruner Veltliner Freiheit, with its overt green bean, snap pea, and floral aromas, is more overtly Gruner Veltliner-typical than the Gartling. In the mouth, a rich peachy fruit and ore-like, savory sense of "the mineral" ally themselves to the flavors of legumes. Bright lime citricity extend the range of expression, and this finishes with long, savory traces in all registers. Certainly it represents another outstanding value and proves Nigl this year's consummate master of the supposedly modest, introductory-level, low alcohol wine.
- Item #: i_360253Bottle Size: 750MLJAMESSUCKLING.COM - 94 POINTS A precise and very layered gruner, offering plenty of tropical fruit, such as mango and grapefruit. Flavorful finish. Already a beauty. From biodynamically grown grapes. Drink or hold. Screw cap.
Nikolaihof is one of the oldest wine estates in Austria, whose history goes back almost 2000 years to Roman times. A walk round the gorgeous estate in the Wachau is like a trip back through history. The winery is Biodynamic and Demeter Certified with winemaking by Nicholas Saahs (pictured) carrying on the family tradition. This is a lighthearted, fresh Grüner Veltliner with plenty of zip and energy. This wine is filtered, with good palate weight.
BIODYNAMIC - DEMETER CERTIFIED
Nikolaihof is the oldest wine estate in Austria, whose history goes back almost 2000 years to Roman times. A walk round the estate is like a trip back through history. Cherry blossom, anise, flint; zingy with dense minty mineras, light but curiously dense, jammed with flavor.
- Item #: i_304160Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94Decanter: 92For those new to cool climate reds, a great introduction is this ”Vision” in Red and it’s a 94 Point closeout steal! We snapped up a closeout deal on a great, “under the radar” wine we could not pass up! This is a wine for both connoisseurs and enthusiasts alike!
Blaufrankisch is a red grape also known as Lemberger in Germany, Kekfrankos in Hungary, and Franconia in Italy, whose homeland is eastern Austria. Taste-wise, think of it as a taste/body/character of Burgundian Pinot, Northern Rhône Syrah and Nebbiolo from Piedmont. Take the spice of Côte Rôtie, the aromatics and tannic structure of Barolo and the intrigue and finesse of red Burgundy, and you’ve got the idea.
Our Wine Staff immensely enjoyed tasting this special, high-altitude Austrian red full of blackberry, black cherry, and marionberry flavors. Mid-weight on the palate, it shows a hint of fennel, carob nibs and a silky, long finish. The tannins are silky and well-integrated, adding just a touch of firmness to the structure, keeping this finely woven and balanced overall. The finish presents inviting notes of graphite, kirsch and mineral. A powerful, yet finely balanced wine.
Reunion Vision comes from the cool terroir of the Neckenmarkt, one of the leading viticultural villages of the Mittelburgenland appellation in southeastern Austria. The Neckenmarkt area has an extremely distinctive terroir: it sits within a broad basin protected by mountains to the north, west, and south, with vineyards perched at altitudes exceeding 1,600 feet. The Hochberg vineyard, where it comes from specifically, has an alpine locale with a rocky sub-surface that provides good heat storage. The wines here show a mediumbodied character, clear structure and minerality. This is a joint venture between winemakers Gerald Wieder of the Neckenmarkt Winery and Gerhard Kracher. Gerhard, son of Alois Kracher, Jr., was one of the most successful winemakers in Austria. Gerhard learned from his legendary father, and took over winemaking at their family winery after his father’s untimely passing.
The wine undergoes spontaneous fermentation in open wooden vats and without the addition of selected yeasts. The wine spends four weeks on the mash and undergoes malolactic fermentation during this period as well. It is then transferred into small barrels made of new, lightly toasted oak. As with the Reunion Passion, this wine remains on the fine lees during the first months of maturing. The maturation period lasts for 16 months in new barriques. The Reunion Vision will come on the market in the summer or fall of the third year following the harvest.
WINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS - "From 40- to 45-year-old vines in the Hochberg and with very small berries, the dark 2015 Blaufränkisch Vision offers very deep, ripe, intense and super concentrated dark fruit on the toasty nose. Fermented in a 1,000-liter oak vat and aged in 100% new small oak barrels for 16 months, this is a full-bodied and rich, very elegant and refreshingly pure red with great vitality, grip and length. There are some hints of a dry Douro red, but in fact, this is a great Blaufränkisch from the (Middle) Burgenland. This is an impressive Blaufränkisch with power, finesse and vitality. The aftertaste is incredibly fresh and pure, full of tension and character. Gosh, this is a great wine, although the 2015 is only slowly starting to open up. This is a giant that I terribly underrated as a barrel sample a year ago. If only this wine would be released three to five years after the harvest like a Rioja Grande Reserva, Austria would have another great Blaufränkisch to adore. Without any doubt, this 2015 will still be a great wine in ten and even in 15 years. Tasted from the bottle in December 2018."
DECANTER 92 POINTS - "Fermented with natural yeasts and aged in new barriques, this wine comes from the outstanding Hochberg vineyard. It’s very deep in colour, with rich, suave, blackberry aromas and a stylish, oaky imprint. Plump and concentrated, it shows a weight of fruit balanced by fresh acidity. Fine length."
- Item #: i_362339Bottle Size: 750mlWINE ENTHUSIAST 90 POINTS Pure citrus rises from the glass—think mandarin and ripe lemon zest. The palate is juicy and bright with ripe lemon freshness. The finish is moreish, dry and utterly citrus-focused. ANNE KREBIEHL MW
- Item #: i_362641Bottle Size: 750mlWine Enthusiast: 90SUSTAINABLE FARMING
Zweigelt fits perfectly into the estate’s Burgundy focus, especially as this variety is related to Pinot Noir. The Zweigelt vineyards in Gobelsburg are found on banks of crushed gravelly stones that were formed during the last Ice Age.
WINE ENTHUSIAST 90 POINTS - "Beautifully pure, poised and aromatic notes of tart, ripe red cherry beckon from the glass. The palate adds a little more flesh to them and makes the cherry fruit even more alluring in its purity and bright freshness. This is easy but elegant and totally seductive."
- Item #: i_362642Bottle Size: 750mlWine Enthusiast: 91WINE ENTHUSIAST 91 POINTS - "Moss, crushed sage and yarrow play alongside green pear on this fresh, vivid nose. The slender, crisp palate adds a note of salty yeast to this and boosts the flavors with lemony freshness. This is quintessential, gorgeous, slender and refreshing Grüner."
Extremely fragrant with whiffs of juicy mirabelle plum. So seductive and openly expressive with a pleasant filigree touch. Compact yet lively and robust. Fine stone fruit notes. Layers of subtle undertones and a nice racy finish.
- Item #: i_324111Bottle Size: 750mlA STAFF FAVORITE. Pale pink with vivid notes of lemon zest and tender flavors of strawberry and cranberry. The slender palate has the same zesty poise as the nose and presents streamlined refreshment, pristine citrus and a dry lip-smacking finish—a most elegant rose. ---
Cool and refreshing with cherry and citrus notes. Rose hip, and citrus accent an infectiously juicy matrix of tart cherry and nectarine, leading to a satisfyingly long, saliva-inducingly saline, and delightfully zippy finish. The Cistercien Rosé is made of Zweigelt, St. Laurent and Pinot Noir . Let Summer begin!
- Item #: i_342360Bottle Size: 750mlOestricher Lenchen Riesling Spatlese 303 is a very special Lenchen expression because it comes from an old parcel in the Eisenberg (iron mountain) plot, which has a high iron content. "We aim for a drinkable Auslese quality here, which is made from ripe but healthy grapes, but we always sell this wine as Spatlese," says Bernd Spreitzer. This 303 is very piquant but also rich, sweet and very juicy; it should be drunk in ten years from now. Its length and tension in combination with this rich, lush character is very promising.
The 303 Spatlese represents a selection of the finest grapes from the Eisenberg vineyard, free from botrytis but entirely composed of golden yellow grapes with a high skin to fruit ratio. Wonderfully bright clear fruit in high magnification, a thoroughly juicy cuvee that that has more than 9 grams of acidity and as a result avoids being cloying in the least. Clear and salty and parading a medley of pear and sweet citrus notes. Lovely indeed.
- Item #: i_303969Bottle Size: 750mlNatural wine, Unfiltered. Limited.
Varieties: Scheurebe and several clones of Muscat
Vinification Method: Grapes are hand harvested, destemmed, and crushed by foot. Some of the skins are left in contact with the juice for 2 weeks, and some is left in contact for 4 weeks, making Christian’s only orange wine. The juice ferments in large barrels with indigenous yeast and no racking. It spends 1 year aging in 500 to 1500-liter barrels and is bottled without fining or filtering and no addition of sulfur.