Austrian wines are mostly dry white wines (often made from the Grüner Veltliner grape), though some sweeter white wines (such as dessert wines made around the Neusiedler See) are also produced. About 30% of the wines are red, made from Blaufränkisch (also known as Lemberger, or as Kékfrankos in neighbouring Hungary), Pinot Noir and locally bred varieties such as Zweigelt. The country is also home to Riedel, makers of some of the most expensive wine glasses in the world. Some of the best producers of Austria include Weingut F.X. Pichler and Weingut Franz Hirtzberger, Weingut Hutter, Weingut Eigl and Wellanschitz.
- Item #: i_311317Bottle Size: 1LCharm and value typify these wines. Clean, cultured-yeast wines with lots of primary fruit, yet aging superbly. There's some land on the Gedersdorf plateau that's planted to red varieties. All the wines are made dry, of course. They use cultured yeasts to get slow fermentations and to preserve the utmost CO2. Berger is all stainless steel, of course.
Wine maker notes: This smells just like Zinfandel except more seductive and inviting; indeed it smells like the kind of Zin no one’s making any more since tout le monde started chasing fortified wine levels of alcohol. This is all cloves and blueberries; wonderful length of sweet fruit and ripe soft tannins; elegant poise of power and a sort of luscious solidity.
- Item #: i_306004Bottle Size: 1LYes, folks, this wine comes in a (1.0) liter bottle, which means you get to have more fun! Representing the fresh, crisp and refreshingly tangy side of Grüner Veltliner in the perennially-popular liter format, this is the bottling that Terry Theise calls the class of the [liter] category. Dry, crisp, and impeccably clean, this wine delivers delicious flavors of white flowers, pepper, and pink grapefruit, underscoredby an attractive leesiness - quintessential value Gruner Veltliner. Bottled under a crown cap; you'll need a bottle opener, not a corkscrew.
- Item #: i_306865Bottle Size: 750mlThis Orange wine of Chardonnay is from the Caruntum region of Burgenland. The organically farmed grapes are given 24 days on the skins (skin-contact) during their spontaneous fermentation. Lovely vivid orange color. Fruity nose of orange blossom, tangerine and nectarine. The wine is not overly tannic, but has a nice mouthfeel, and a clean and restrained style of skin contact. Wonderful citrus peel and stone fruit notes, full-bodied while bright that goes exceptionally well with dinner.
- Item #: i_306861Bottle Size: 750mlDry, unfined and unfiltered, this natural wine is a bit cloudy with a bright note of citrus, melon, guava, chamomile, jasmine , and a touch of white pepper. Because it is not filtered, it has a beautiful texture, like nectarine skin. The complex finish has a delicate balance of fruit, mineral, and acid. Pair with river fish, cheese, proscuitto or jamon (charcuterie), and potatoes. The 2019 release is incredibly invigorating. Native yeast, no filtering or fining.
From Amy Atwood Selections. The label on Christina tells the whole story: these are the critters who hang out in Christina Netzl's vineyards in Carnuntum, and she doesn't get rid of them. The family's 70 acres weren't always so natural, but in 2007 upon Christina's return from wine studies in London, she decided to go organic. In 2013, the winery converted to natural farming free of chemicals, and by 2018 she sought organic certification for her St. Laurent, Chardonnay, and Gruner. Grown in cooler parts of Lower Austria, Gruner vines are chilled by the Danube as they sit in sunny red gravel & loess soils. Once ripe, whole bunches are fermented spontaneously in steel during a long cold winter. The wine is racked once in the spring and bottled with very little sulfur.
- Item #: i_322058Bottle Size: 1LLight-bodied, crisp, and dry. Lemon and flowers on the nose precede a palate of creamy fruit and notes of pepper, ripe pears, and gooseberry. The finish is citrusy and stony with just enough fruit balanced with bright acids. At 12.5% alcohol, Der Pollerhof organic Grüner is a session quaffer, pure and simple. Like something found at a Heuriger (Austrian wine tavern). Alcohol: 12.5%
- Item #: i_304159Bottle Size: 750mlThis is 100% Blaufrankisch, from three different vineyards in Nectenmarkt with the most distinctive soils of limestone, slate and granite. Nose of Marzipan and cherry, with more cherry reflected on the palate. Non-filtered and no fining. Natural wine.
"The word Kolfok has it's origins in a regional dialect and describes a person, critical to common thoughts - an unconventional thinker. Some parts of the vineyards are directly at the border of Hungary, especially the town Neckenmarkt shows an unique combination of alpine soils and Pannonian climate. In the middle of the Oedenburger Valley, Neckenmarkt is located at a relatively high altitude, the vineyards are up to 500 meter above sea level with a smorgasbord of soils coming into play. In the higher parts soils range from schist, gneiss to limestone, and in the lower vineyards from ferrous loam to volcanic clay.
Says Stefan: "I want to show those exceptional conditions in my wines. That's why I work natural both in the vineyards and in the cellar. To prevent mono culture the vines are growing organically together with other herbs and plants. In the cellar it's very easy - the wine leaves the press without the use of pumps into local oak barrels which can be from 600 liters (Halbstueck) to 1200 liters (Stueck), this is where the stays without fining, moving or even sulfuring. At the optimum time they are bottled unfiltered with a minimal addition of sulfur."
- Item #: i_333311Bottle Size: 750mlA Pet-Nat in our Austrian section. This skin contact, unfiltered sparkling wine made of Pinot Grigio, and has intense apple notes, and fun to the core, with a complex nose. Serve chilled. Natural wine. Biodynamic and Demeter Certified.
- Item #: i_333312Bottle Size: 750mlIt sounds pretty nuts: Create a 2,000 hectare farm on marshlands that used to be part of Austria’s biggest lake, let your Pinot Grigio vineyard run wild without any pruning, harvest, then ferment in concrete eggs with the skins for three weeks. That’s exactly how biodynamic estate Meinklang produced this delicious bottle. The name “Graupert” is a nice pun on the grape variety (Grauburgunder in German) and old Burgenland slang for someone a bit scruffy.
This delicious, still wine is made of 100% Pinot Grigio from Austria in Burgenland. This is a Natural wine… unfiltered, unfined, with skin contact. In the glass, it is a cloudy pink orange color. Fruit reminiscent of orange citrus and pomegranite. Drink chilled. Delicious. Biodynamic, Demeter Certified.
Grape Variety: Pinot Gris
Soil type: Clay
Vessel type: Cement - Egg, Stainless Steel
This wine is fermented spontaneously.
"This Pinot Grigio from Meinklang is produced on Austria’s largest biodynamic farm, but it drinks like a rare gem, and should be treasured as such. Not only does it pop with flavor, but it will give you some real feels. Cloudy and ripe cantaloupe in color, the Graupert has a seductive musk of apricot, nectarine, orange rind, and gardenia, and tastes like pithy grapefruit and lemonade with a tight, striking acidity that races right to your loins. It’s sexual tension in a glass, and I honestly catch myself batting my eyelashes at it every time I drink it." - Marissa A. Ross, Bon Appetit Magazine.
- Item #: i_333313Bottle Size: 750mlThis dry, slightly fizzy, tremendously fun red is a blend of 80% Gamaret and 20% Blaufrankisch and dances on the palate with notes of black cherry and a light baking spice. It is a light-bodied, dry red very similar to a Lambrusco, and quite charming!
- Item #: i_333302Bottle Size: 750mlJuicy and delicious...this lightly sparkling Pinot Noir Rose from Meinklang is made with a summer picnic in mind! Bright fruit, ripe acidity and a little spritz work perfectly together. It shows alpine strawberry, raspberry, and bramble leaf. Spontaneously fermented and charmat method for purity and freshness. Just so quaffable... as dangerous as it is delicious, you’ll want to buy two bottles because the first will disappear a little too quickly. Yes, it’s that good. A blend of: 80% Pinot Noir, 20% Blaufrankisch and Zweigelt. Certified biodynamic, Natural Wine, Demeter Certified
GQ Magazine: "Combining lesser-known Austrian grapes – Zweigelt, St Laurent, and Blaufrankish – this lightly sparkling rose makes the perfect aperitif. Don’t let the pinker hue fool you; this wine is crisp, dry and dangerously drinkable. Still not sold? Well, how about the fact the winemaker perfected this particular Prosa for her own wedding? Yes, it’s that good." (MW)
About: Located in Seewinkel, a remote enclave on the eastern side of Lake Neusidl near the Hungarian border, Meinklang is more than just a vineyard and winery; it is a fully self-sustaining family farm and eco-community. Inspired by Rudolf Steiner and Goethe, the Michlits family led by Anneliese and Werner Mitchlit took over their family farm over 20 years ago with dreams of a complete agricultural and viticultural project that exists in perfect harmony with nature. They began with organic cultivation, and converted to Biodynamics 10 years later. Long warm days extend into the autumn, an optimal climate for phenolic ripeness. They make their own compost from manure, pomace and plant cuttings, emphasizing living soils in their vineyards. In addition to wine production, they raise cattle (the pride of the farm is not wine grapes but a herd of Angus cattle, which provide manure for fertilizer) as well as many other heirloom crops and wild insect colonies. Their vineyards are surrounded by natural ponds and cover crops of wild herbs and grasses. This combined with the wild insects, bees especially; promote healthy soils and natural pollination for a diverse ecosystem. Wines ferment exclusively with native yeasts and made with minimal intervention. The couple works as minimally as possible in the cellar, allowing only wild or ambient yeasts and adding nothing to the winemaking process. The mineral-rich volcanic soils are ideal for our vines. Basalt and loess weather together with light layers of sand to make fertile soils. They are loose, well-aerated and retain heat – the perfect conditions for vines. Through small cracks in the rock, their roots penetrate many metres into the mountain’s interior, absorbing its valuable minerals. Hungary‘s smallest wine region (Somlo) is only around 800 ha in size. While the individual sites and slopes were originally divided between the noble families, today the area is characterised by many little parcels used by self-sufficient farmers. Picturesque little houses, fruit trees, shrubs and enchanting cottage gardens blend into the mountain vineyard landscape.
- Item #: i_333309Bottle Size: 750mlBIODYNAMIC AND DEMETER CERTIFIED
A delicious orange-rose-colored wine with a bouquet and palate of lychee, hibiscus and white flowers. The grapes are Pinot Gris and Welschriesling and Traminer, and receives 10 days skin contact. This is a still wine. Crown cap. Serve chilled. Natural wine. Vegan.
- Item #: i_323102Bottle Size: 750mlA delightful red is a natural wine of 60% Zweigelt, 30% Blaufrankisch, and 10% St. Laurent made with carbonic maceration preserving all the fresh juciness and bright red fruit flavors. A perfect summer quaffing red. This is a natural wine.einklang’s red is a blend of 60 percent Zweigelt, 30 percent Blaufränkisch, and 10 percent St. Laurent, grown biodynamically near the shores of Lake Neusiedl. The color is ruby red with blue glints, and the aromas mingle brambly berries, black currant, and cranberry with anise seed and leafy tomato vine. Medium-bodied with a juicy red center, the finish crackles with herbal/basil notes. It’s a young wine, simple and uncomplicated, making it a good choice for red-sauced pastas, grilled meats, and aged cheeses. Light-bodied like a Pinot Noir, but with crunchy red fruit. Unfined, unfiltered, low sulphites. Serve chilled.
Meinklang is one of Austria's most interesting organic producers. Demeter certified biodynamic, they are crafting inviting naturally styled and fresh wines from Burgenland. * Natural Wine, Biodynamic Wine, Demeter Certified * Screwtop.
- Item #: i_372094Bottle Size: 750mlThe Gruner Veltliner Freiheit, with its overt green bean, snap pea, and floral aromas, is more overtly Gruner Veltliner-typical than the Gartling. In the mouth, a rich peachy fruit and ore-like, savory sense of "the mineral" ally themselves to the flavors of legumes. Bright lime citricity extend the range of expression, and this finishes with long, savory traces in all registers. Certainly it represents another outstanding value and proves Nigl this year's consummate master of the supposedly modest, introductory-level, low alcohol wine.
- Item #: i_360253Bottle Size: 750MLBIODYNAMIC. DEMETER CERTIFIED.
Nikolaihof is the oldest wine estate in Austria, whose history goes back almost 2000 years to Roman times. A walk round the estate is like a trip back through history. Cherry blossom, anise, flint; zingy with dense minty mineras, light but curiously dense, jammed with flavor.
WINE ADVOCATE - 90 POINTS
The 2018 Gruner Veltliner Hefeabzug opens with a clear, elegant and warm, well-balanced and slightly flinty bouquet of ripe fruits, blossoms and almonds. The attack on the palate is vivacious then round and lush. Bottled with 11.5% alcohol, the 2018 doesn't taste as dry as this wine normally is and reminds me of grape juice but in a more elaborated, refined and mineral way. Tasted from lot 1078719 at the Nikolaihof in September 2019.
- Item #: i_324111Bottle Size: 750mlA STAFF FAVORITE. Pale pink with vivid notes of lemon zest and tender flavors of strawberry and cranberry. The slender palate has the same zesty poise as the nose and presents streamlined refreshment, pristine citrus and a dry lip-smacking finish—a most elegant rose. ---
Cool and refreshing with cherry and citrus notes. Rose hip, and citrus accent an infectiously juicy matrix of tart cherry and nectarine, leading to a satisfyingly long, saliva-inducingly saline, and delightfully zippy finish. The Cistercien Rosé is made of Zweigelt, St. Laurent and Pinot Noir . Let Summer begin!
- Item #: i_342393Bottle Size: 750mlWINE ADVOCATE - 96+ POINTS The intensely yellow colored 2016 Ried Zieregg Sauvignon Blanc is incredibly deep, intense and spicy on the ripe, concentrated and fresh nose that intertwines vegetal and chalky notes with spicy and coolish fruit flavors (gooseberries, black cassis). On the palate, the wine is silky textured, dense and concentrated yet tight, refined and elegant, showing gorgeous bitters (grapefruit) in the long, promising finish... Armin Tement believes it is the finest Zieregg the domain has ever produced, and I agree... Tasted June 2018. Stephan Reinhardt.
12-HOUR SKIN CONTACT NATURAL YEAST FERMENTATION, UNFINED, UNFILTERED
About Tement: Weingut Tement is a family winery in Austria. The vineyards are located in Sudsteiermark (southern Styria) directly on the border with Slovenia, on a narrow plateau into which the slope of the Zieregg cru gently flattens. Armin and his father Manfred, who founded the estate in 1979, handcraft some of the most highly awarded Austrian wines. The farming is certified Organic by Lacon. All fermentation is naturally occurring from indgenous yeasts and all wines are aged on the lees without sulphur. The crus are bottled without finings and filtratons. Their Sauvignon Blanc was the first to receive a rating of 20/20 points by Rene Gabriel and the Zieregg Sauvignon Blanc is always in the TOP TEN of the best wines Austria. The intensely yellow colored 2016 Ried Zieregg Sauvignon Blanc is incredibly deep, intense and spicy on the ripe, concentrated and fresh nose that intertwines vegetal and chalky notes with spicy and coolish fruit flavors (gooseberries, black cassis). On the palate, the wine is silky textured, dense and concentrated yet tight, refined and elegant, showing gorgeous bitters (grapefruit) in the long, promising finish, though it's still a bit closed. Armin Tement believes it is the finest Zieregg the domain has ever produced, and I agree with that. If it is also the greatest, I can't yet tell, but I'll let you know as soon as I know it. Tasted June 2018. Stephan Reinhardt.
12-HOUR SKIN CONTACT NATURAL YEAST FERMENTATION, UNFINED, UNFILTERED
About Tement: Weingut Tement is a family winery in Austria. The vineyards are located in Sudsteiermark (southern Styria) directly on the border with Slovenia, on a narrow plateau into which the slope of the Zieregg cru gently flattens. Armin and his father Manfred, who founded the estate in 1979, handcraft some of the most highly awarded Austrian wines. The farming is certified Organic by Lacon. All fermentation is naturally occurring from indgenous yeasts and all wines are aged on the lees without sulphur. The crus are bottled without finings and filtratons. Their Sauvignon Blanc was the first to receive a rating of 20/20 points by Rene Gabriel and the Zieregg Sauvignon Blanc is always in the TOP TEN of the best wines Austria.