Austrian wines are mostly dry white wines (often made from the Grüner Veltliner grape), though some sweeter white wines (such as dessert wines made around the Neusiedler See) are also produced. About 30% of the wines are red, made from Blaufränkisch (also known as Lemberger, or as Kékfrankos in neighbouring Hungary), Pinot Noir and locally bred varieties such as Zweigelt. The country is also home to Riedel, makers of some of the most expensive wine glasses in the world. Some of the best producers of Austria include Weingut F.X. Pichler and Weingut Franz Hirtzberger, Weingut Hutter, Weingut Eigl and Wellanschitz.
- Item #: i_306004Bottle Size: 1LYes, folks, this wine comes in a (1.0) liter bottle, which means you get to have more fun! Representing the fresh, crisp and refreshingly tangy side of Grüner Veltliner in the perennially-popular liter format, this is the bottling that Terry Theise calls the class of the [liter] category. Dry, crisp, and impeccably clean, this wine delivers delicious flavors of white flowers, pepper, and pink grapefruit, underscoredby an attractive leesiness - quintessential value Gruner Veltliner. Bottled under a crown cap; you'll need a bottle opener, not a corkscrew.
- Item #: i_306866Bottle Size: 750mlNATURAL WINE, UNFILTERED
WINE ENTHUSIAST 92 POINTS - "Pink-hued and funky, this skin-contact orange wine brims with clementine and orange peel notes on the nose, supported by an overtone of honeysuckle. The light palate has a texture reminiscent of citrus pith and tingles with freshness, while clementine and white pepper notes are highlighted by the bone-dry nature. It is compelling and wonderfully light." - Anne Krebiehl MW
Demeter Certified Biodynamic
90% Pinot Gris, 10% Muskateller
- Item #: i_307461Bottle Size: 750MLWINE ENTHUSIAST - 90 POINTS Yeast and a subtle note of sage are timid on the nose. The light palate then adds green-pear freshness, while an edge of white pepper completes this picture of subtlety and freshness. This is brisk and crisp with a real refreshment factor. ANNE KREBIEHL MW
- Item #: i_307464Bottle Size: 750mlJAMESSUCKLING.COM - 95 POINTS
A very tight, composed white, showing dried-apple, lemon and spiced-pear character with heather and honeysuckle. It’s full-bodied with lots of lively fruit and a vivid finish. Structured. Super wine at this quality level from one of the legends. From organically grown grapes. Drink or hold. Screw cap. - Stuart Piggott.
CHRISTIAN TSCHIDA 2019 HIMMEL AUF ERDEN ROSE 750ML "HEAVEN ON EARTH" NATURAL WINE, BIODYNAMIC, ORGANICItem #: i_303971Bottle Size: 750mlA rare, small-production natural rose wine made of Cabernet Franc. Christian's cab franc is something of a work of art for those who value the left-of-center. Hand harvested, destemmed, and crushed by foot, the juice ferments in large barrels with indigenous yeast and no racking. It spends 1 year aging in 500 to 1500-liter barrels and is bottled without fining or filtering and no addition of sulfur. Intensely raw, with an air of wild raspberry and other red berries, watermelon, tomato leaf, bunches of herbs and garden soil. There's the fizzing acid of fermentation still persisting, too. Light, yet ferociously savory and forward. If you are a fan of the ultra-rare Lopez de Heredia Rosado, this is most certainly in that genre. Truly a meditation wine...a wine to sit down with, and think about life.
- Item #: i_306861Bottle Size: 750mlDry, unfined and unfiltered, this natural wine is a bit cloudy with a bright note of citrus, melon, guava, chamomile, jasmine , and a touch of white pepper. Because it is not filtered, it has a beautiful texture, like nectarine skin. The complex finish has a delicate balance of fruit, mineral, and acid. Pair with river fish, cheese, proscuitto or jamon (charcuterie), and potatoes. The 2020 release is incredibly invigorating. Native yeast, no filtering or fining.
- Item #: i_322058Bottle Size: 1LLight-bodied, crisp, and dry. Lemon and flowers on the nose precede a palate of creamy fruit and notes of pepper, ripe pears, and gooseberry. The finish is citrusy and stony with just enough fruit balanced with bright acids. At 12.5% alcohol, Der Pollerhof organic Grüner is a session quaffer, pure and simple. Like something found at a Heuriger (Austrian wine tavern). Alcohol: 12.5%
- Item #: i_322292Bottle Size: 750mlWINE ADVOCATE - 90 POINTS From the first harvest pass in all the terraces (from younger vines) and from riper fruits in the flat area, the 2018 Durnsteiner Grüner Veltliner Smaragd is clear, bright and white-fruited on the spicy-elegant nose. On the palate, this is a full-bodied but also fresh and piquant Veltliner Smaragd with good grip and nice bitters. Tasted at the domain in September 2019.
- Item #: i_342392Bottle Size: 750mlWINE ENTHUSIAST 90 POINTS - "Ripe notes of fresh green and yellow pear and melon make for a most friendly, appetizing nose. The light palate comes in with freshness and an easy, slightly pithy texture. The finish is dry and suave."
- Item #: i_307465Bottle Size: 1LBiodynamic.
Hofer's Gruner Veltliner is the quintessential Summer sipper! This Austrian white grape variety produces a crisp and mineral-focused wine with hints of citrus, lemon peel, lychee, and a touch of spiciness that may remind you of white pepper. Its refreshingly crisp body works great on a warm Summer day, especially when you're outdoors.
- Item #: i_331142Bottle Size: 1LZweigelt is an Austrian classic. This variety was created in 1922, when Dr. Fritz Zweigelt crossed two grapes - St Laurent and Blaufränkisch.
The wine offers delicate strawberry, cherry and floral aromas. On the palate it is medium-bodied, lively and refreshing, beautifully balanced. A long and pleasant finish. Enjoy as an aperitif or with any light fare with friends.
- Item #: i_362365Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 92WINE & SPIRITS 96 POINTS - "2017 Wachau Freigest Gruner Veltliner “The back label suggests shaking this up before serving, so I did,” said our pourer as he placed the glasses in front of us. Made from grüner veltliner macerated with its skins and then left on them for 35 days, this was pressed into 500-liter Manhartsberger oak barrels to rest on the lees for 10 months; it was bottled without filtering, and with very little sulfur. The result, when it’s shaken up, is as cloudy as a hefeweizen beer. And it feels like a cloud—a pillowy cumulonimbus filled with aroma. There’s a hint of cedar, ginger, peach skin and porcini as it scuds across the palate; with air, those notes become more grüner-like, scents of orange mingling with herbs, all of it carried with a green-apple verve. It’s clean and energetic, with a mesmerizing balance of weightlessness and fullness that would suit sushi extremely well."
WINE SPECTATOR 92 POINTS - "An intriguing version, cloudy, with obvious skin contact shown through the soft tannins that add to the corduroy texture. The flavor profile is impressive and expressive, featuring notes of green tea, tobacco, lemon peel and sea salt. More on a savory side, but would be great with food. Best from 2022 through 2032. 35 cases imported."
- Item #: i_333314Bottle Size: 750mlERIC ASIMOV, THE NEW YORK TIMES
Meinklang in eastern Austria near the Hungarian border, is a consistently excellent producer, and wine is just a part of what it does. The estate is a mixed environment, with animals, grains, fruits, and vegetables, farmed biodynamically with an eye toward protecting the soil. The vines benefit from this sort of enlightened approach, as do the vines. This blaufrankisch feels alive in the glass and tastes of violets and plums. The grapes spend around 9 days on the skins with manual punch downs. The wine ages on its fine lees in large used barrels and stainless steel tanks.
Tasting Notes: This is the most tannic and structured out of the Meinklang red wines. With that said, it is still juicy with fruit on the palate. Perhaps "playfully rough" is a good term to describe it. Enjoy the Meinklang Blaufrankisch with strong dishes like stewed beef.
- Item #: i_333322Bottle Size: 750mlNEW from Meinklang. A delightful, bright blend of Zweigelt and Sankt Laurent. Natural. Unfiltered. Pure, fresh cranberry on the nose. This is a very lively natural, unfiltered wine with sour cherry fruit, brambly red fruits, more of that cranberry on the palate, with a finish of framboise/raspberry, and a bright, zippy finish. Alcohol: 11%. Please chill before serving.
- Item #: i_333313Bottle Size: 750mlThis dry, slightly fizzy, tremendously fun red is a blend of 80% Gamaret and 20% Blaufrankisch and dances on the palate with notes of black cherry and a light baking spice. It is a light-bodied, dry red very similar to a Lambrusco, and quite charming!
- Item #: i_333320Bottle Size: 750mlBIODYNAMIC.
This is a delightful and lively blend of Saint Laurent and Zweigelt made with minimal sulphur and minimal intervention. Winemaking Notes: The fruit for this wine was manually harvested from vines that were 10-30 years old at the time of harvest. Grapes underwent a 4-day spontaneous co-fermentation in stainless steel on their skins. Wine was aged for 4 months in stainless steel sur lie . Wine was neither fined nor filtered.
- Item #: i_333311Bottle Size: 750mlA Pet-Nat in our Austrian section. This skin contact, unfiltered sparkling wine made of Pinot Grigio, and has intense apple notes, and fun to the core, with a complex nose. Serve chilled. Natural wine. Biodynamic and Demeter Certified.
- Item #: i_333312Bottle Size: 750mlIt sounds pretty nuts: Create a 2,000 hectare farm on marshlands that used to be part of Austria’s biggest lake, let your Pinot Grigio vineyard run wild without any pruning, harvest, then ferment in concrete eggs with the skins for three weeks. That’s exactly how biodynamic estate Meinklang produced this delicious bottle. The name “Graupert” is a nice pun on the grape variety (Grauburgunder in German) and old Burgenland slang for someone a bit scruffy.
This delicious, still wine is made of 100% Pinot Grigio from Austria in Burgenland. This is a Natural wine… unfiltered, unfined, with skin contact. In the glass, it is a cloudy pink orange color. Fruit reminiscent of orange citrus and pomegranite. Drink chilled. Delicious. Biodynamic, Demeter Certified.
Grape Variety: Pinot Gris
Soil type: Clay
Vessel type: Cement - Egg, Stainless Steel
This wine is fermented spontaneously.
"This Pinot Grigio from Meinklang is produced on Austria’s largest biodynamic farm, but it drinks like a rare gem, and should be treasured as such. Not only does it pop with flavor, but it will give you some real feels. Cloudy and ripe cantaloupe in color, the Graupert has a seductive musk of apricot, nectarine, orange rind, and gardenia, and tastes like pithy grapefruit and lemonade with a tight, striking acidity that races right to your loins. It’s sexual tension in a glass, and I honestly catch myself batting my eyelashes at it every time I drink it." - Marissa A. Ross, Bon Appetit Magazine.
- Item #: i_333317Bottle Size: 750mlORGANIC, BIODYNAMIC. CRISP, DRY.
Meinklang's Austrian Gruner Veltliner is 100% biodynamically farmed, hand harvested and directly pressed, with a spontaneous ferment in stainless steel. It spends 4 months on the lees with no fining or filtration. On the palate, it is citrusy and lively, with notes of grapefruit, lemon, herbs, and granny smith matched with a peppery zing. Pairs well with spicy and rich foods to balance out.
- Item #: i_333309Bottle Size: 750mlOur #1 Austrian Natural Wine Wonder!
Meinklang Mulatschak Blanc has been the undisputed champ in our Natural Wine category, by a landslide, at HiTime Wine Cellars since June 2019. Without any scores or social media, just by word of mouth, this has quietly become our most popular natural wine to date.
The 2019 edition is a lively and exotically perfumed still wine, delighting you with floral aromatics like stargazer lily, and a palate of lychee, citrus, rose petal, guava and hibiscus. This is a dry, “skin contact” wine made like a red wine, and receives 7 days of skin contact to give this wine more complexity than most whites you have encountered. The wine is made from a blend of Welschriesling, Pinot Gris, and Traminer from biodynamically farmed vineyards. The grapes are crushed into stainless steel where they ferment on skins for three days before being pressed off. After some additional time on lees, the wine is bottled unfined and unfiltered with minimal sulphur (25ppm), and a low 11.5% ABV.
Even if you are not an afficionado of Orange wines, once you taste it, you will be hooked. It is delicious and chuggable with the added benefit of knowing it is Organic, Demeter Certified and Vegan. Easy to drink and delicious.
BIODYNAMIC AND DEMETER CERTIFIED
A delicious orange-rose-colored wine with a bouquet and palate of lychee, hibiscus and white flowers. The grapes are Pinot Gris and Welschriesling and Traminer, and receives 10 days skin contact. This is a still wine. Crown cap. Serve chilled. Natural wine. Vegan.
- Item #: i_333302Bottle Size: 750mlJuicy and delicious...this lightly sparkling Pinot Noir Rose from Meinklang is made with a summer picnic in mind! Bright fruit, ripe acidity and a little spritz work perfectly together. It shows alpine strawberry, raspberry, and bramble leaf. Spontaneously fermented and charmat method for purity and freshness. Just so quaffable... as dangerous as it is delicious, you’ll want to buy two bottles because the first will disappear a little too quickly. Yes, it’s that good. A blend of: 80% Pinot Noir, 20% Blaufrankisch and Zweigelt. Certified biodynamic, Natural Wine, Demeter Certified
GQ Magazine: "Combining lesser-known Austrian grapes – Zweigelt, St Laurent, and Blaufrankish – this lightly sparkling rose makes the perfect aperitif. Don’t let the pinker hue fool you; this wine is crisp, dry and dangerously drinkable. Still not sold? Well, how about the fact the winemaker perfected this particular Prosa for her own wedding? Yes, it’s that good." (MW)
About: Located in Seewinkel, a remote enclave on the eastern side of Lake Neusidl near the Hungarian border, Meinklang is more than just a vineyard and winery; it is a fully self-sustaining family farm and eco-community. Inspired by Rudolf Steiner and Goethe, the Michlits family led by Anneliese and Werner Mitchlit took over their family farm over 20 years ago with dreams of a complete agricultural and viticultural project that exists in perfect harmony with nature. They began with organic cultivation, and converted to Biodynamics 10 years later. Long warm days extend into the autumn, an optimal climate for phenolic ripeness. They make their own compost from manure, pomace and plant cuttings, emphasizing living soils in their vineyards. In addition to wine production, they raise cattle (the pride of the farm is not wine grapes but a herd of Angus cattle, which provide manure for fertilizer) as well as many other heirloom crops and wild insect colonies. Their vineyards are surrounded by natural ponds and cover crops of wild herbs and grasses. This combined with the wild insects, bees especially; promote healthy soils and natural pollination for a diverse ecosystem. Wines ferment exclusively with native yeasts and made with minimal intervention. The couple works as minimally as possible in the cellar, allowing only wild or ambient yeasts and adding nothing to the winemaking process. The mineral-rich volcanic soils are ideal for our vines. Basalt and loess weather together with light layers of sand to make fertile soils. They are loose, well-aerated and retain heat – the perfect conditions for vines. Through small cracks in the rock, their roots penetrate many metres into the mountain’s interior, absorbing its valuable minerals. Hungary‘s smallest wine region (Somlo) is only around 800 ha in size. While the individual sites and slopes were originally divided between the noble families, today the area is characterised by many little parcels used by self-sufficient farmers. Picturesque little houses, fruit trees, shrubs and enchanting cottage gardens blend into the mountain vineyard landscape.
- Item #: i_323102Bottle Size: 750mlThis delightful red is a natural wine composed of 60% Zweigelt, 30% Blaufrankisch, and 10% St. Laurent made with carbonic maceration preserving all the fresh juciness and bright red fruit flavors. A perfect summer quaffing red. This is a natural wine.einklang’s red is a blend of 60 percent Zweigelt, 30 percent Blaufränkisch, and 10 percent St. Laurent, grown biodynamically near the shores of Lake Neusiedl. The color is ruby red with blue glints, and the aromas mingle brambly berries, black currant, and cranberry with anise seed and leafy tomato vine. Medium-bodied with a juicy red center, the finish crackles with herbal/basil notes. It’s a young wine, simple and uncomplicated, making it a good choice for red-sauced pastas, grilled meats, and aged cheeses. Light-bodied like a Pinot Noir, but with crunchy red fruit. Unfined, unfiltered, low sulphites. Serve chilled.
Meinklang is one of Austria's most interesting organic producers. Demeter certified biodynamic, they are crafting inviting naturally styled and fresh wines from Burgenland. * Natural Wine, Biodynamic Wine, Demeter Certified * Screwtop.
- Item #: i_303964Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92JAMESSUCKLING.COM - 92 POINTS If you don’t know Austrian reds from the blaufränkisch grape, then this modestly priced beauty is the place to start. I love the direct, floral appeal of the nose, from which a slew of spicy and black-tea notes slowly emerge. The best thing about this, though, is the interplay of wild berries, gentle tannins and elegant acidity on the palate. Drink or hold. Stuart Pigott.
Although it is just the "regular" quality wine from this producer, the cherry and floral aromas leap from this medium-bodied red. The aromas and the crispness at the finish make it reminiscent of top Beaujolais Cru.
The business card of the Moric estate, the Blaufrankisch Burgenland, encapsulates the Moric style of finesse and varietal typicity. The idea behind this wine is to express not just the variety but also the origin of 8-50 year old vines grown on limestone, primary rock and loam in the villages of Neckenmarkt and Lutzmannsburg.
Harvested at a yield of 25 hectoliters per hectare and fermented on the skins for about 20 days partly in open vats and steel tank. Elevage happens in 600-4500 liter casks for about a year. Only indigenous yeasts are used primary and secondary fermentation, no filtration and no fining techniques are employed. The wine is therefore vegan. Only tiny amounts of sulfites are added.
The Blaufrankisch Burgenland shows a beautiful translucent coleur, with a fine tannin structure and exceptional balance. The wine will improve with bottle age for at least five years but will show beautifully for many years beyond.
- Item #: i_302986Bottle Size: 750mlSUSTAINABLY GROWN. Fruity, lively, and a lot of fun, the 2020 Zweigelt Rose from Muller has fresh strawberry and ruby red grapefruit aroma in the nose; gentle cranberry notes on the palate and a clean, light and harmonic structure. Made from the red grape, Zweigelt, this is a quality small-production Rose that would pair well with Seafood, Cheese, or Poultry dishes. It is versatile and makes a great compliment to any table. Delicious and easy to like!
The grapes for this Rose originate from our vineyards around the ‘Gottweiger Berg‘ in the southern Kremstal wine region. The vines mainly grow on gravel which is covered by a massive layer of loess. The warm Pannonian climate from the east is creating a micro-climate unique to the Danube valley. The combination of the well-suited soil along with the unique climate of the Danube valley supports the ripening of the grapes perfectly.
- Item #: i_372094Bottle Size: 750mlWINE ENTHUSIAST - 90 POINTS
Fresh notes of green Conference pears mix with a vivid overtone of pear drop. The palate speak of crisp freshness, clean-cut pear fruit, subtle yeasty nuance and fine concentration. This is slender but wonderfully fresh and bright. ANNE KREBIEHL MW
The Gruner Veltliner Freiheit, with its overt green bean, snap pea, and floral aromas, is more overtly Gruner Veltliner-typical than the Gartling. In the mouth, a rich peachy fruit and ore-like, savory sense of "the mineral" ally themselves to the flavors of legumes. Bright lime citricity extend the range of expression, and this finishes with long, savory traces in all registers. Certainly it represents another outstanding value and proves Nigl this year's consummate master of the supposedly modest, introductory-level, low alcohol wine.