Austrian wines are mostly dry white wines (often made from the Grüner Veltliner grape), though some sweeter white wines (such as dessert wines made around the Neusiedler See) are also produced. About 30% of the wines are red, made from Blaufränkisch (also known as Lemberger, or as Kékfrankos in neighbouring Hungary), Pinot Noir and locally bred varieties such as Zweigelt. The country is also home to Riedel, makers of some of the most expensive wine glasses in the world. Some of the best producers of Austria include Weingut F.X. Pichler and Weingut Franz Hirtzberger, Weingut Hutter, Weingut Eigl and Wellanschitz.
- Item #: i_311317Bottle Size: 1LCharm and value typify these wines. Clean, cultured-yeast wines with lots of primary fruit, yet aging superbly. There's some land on the Gedersdorf plateau that's planted to red varieties. All the wines are made dry, of course. They use cultured yeasts to get slow fermentations and to preserve the utmost CO2. Berger is all stainless steel, of course.
Wine maker notes: This smells just like Zinfandel except more seductive and inviting; indeed it smells like the kind of Zin no one’s making any more since tout le monde started chasing fortified wine levels of alcohol. This is all cloves and blueberries; wonderful length of sweet fruit and ripe soft tannins; elegant poise of power and a sort of luscious solidity.
- Item #: i_306004Bottle Size: 1LYes, folks, this wine comes in a (1.0) liter bottle, which means you get to have more fun! Representing the fresh, crisp and refreshingly tangy side of Grüner Veltliner in the perennially-popular liter format, this is the bottling that Terry Theise calls the class of the [liter] category. Dry, crisp, and impeccably clean, this wine delivers delicious flavors of white flowers, pepper, and pink grapefruit, underscoredby an attractive leesiness - quintessential value Gruner Veltliner. Bottled under a crown cap; you'll need a bottle opener, not a corkscrew.
- Item #: i_311873Bottle Size: 750mlJAMES SUCKLING 94 POINTS A rich style of gruner veltliner with a great combination of exotic fruits and white pepper. Rich and fleshy on the palate with a lot of power at the textural finish. Drink or hold. Stuart Pigott.
- Item #: i_307461Bottle Size: 750MLWINE ENTHUSIAST - 90 POINTS Ripe pear, hay and yeast on the nose promise both fruit and savoriness. The palate adds lively apple freshness and combines pear and yeast in a fruity embrace. This is easy and dry but full of interest.
Well matured, green walnut, elder flowers and citrus fruit, some cereals, nuts and cornflakes, very dry and fresh with quite some body and structure, also hints of leafy and peppery spice, rye bread and malt. A light bouquet of fresh green grapes, pome and stone fruit, classic Kamptal loss type with some mineral backbone mouthwatering finish.
- Item #: i_307462Bottle Size: 750mlJAMES SUCKLING - 92 POINTS Savory aromas of white pepper, paprika, crushed stones and white radish follow through to the palate, which is presented in pastry-like, smooth-textured mode. Drink now. Screw cap. Stuart Pigott.
- Item #: i_303971Bottle Size: 750mlA rare, small-production natural rose wine made of Cabernet Franc. Christian's cab franc is something of a work of art for those who value the left-of-center. Intensely raw, with an air of wild raspberry and other red berries, watermelon, tomato leaf, bunches of herbs and garden soil. There's the fizzing acid of fermentation still persisting, too. Light, yet ferociously savory and forward. If you are a fan of the ultra-rare Lopez de Heredia Rosado, this is most certainly in that genre. Truly a meditation wine...a wine to sit down with, ponder, and think about life.
- Item #: i_306861Bottle Size: 750mlMedium-bodied, dry. Unfined and unfiltered, this natural wine, Christina is a bit cloudy with a nice cut of apple, stone fruit, and the requisite pepper spice. The complex finish has a delicate balance of fruit, mineral, and acid. Pair with river fish, cheese, proscuitto or jamon (charcuterie), and potatoes. From Amy Atwood Selections. The label on Christina tells the whole story: these are the critters who hang out in Christina Netzl's vineyards in Carnuntum, and she doesn't get rid of them. The family's 70 acres weren't always so natural, but in 2007 upon Christina's return from wine studies in London, she decided to go organic. In 2013, the winery converted to natural farming free of chemicals, and by 2018 she sought organic certification for her St. Laurent, Chardonnay, and Gruner. Grown in cooler parts of Lower Austria, Gruner vines are chilled by the Danube as they sit in sunny red gravel & loess soils. Once ripe, whole bunches are fermented spontaneously in steel during a long cold winter. The wine is racked once in the spring and bottled with very little sulfur.
- Item #: i_322058Bottle Size: 1LLight-bodied, crisp, and dry. Lemon and flowers on the nose precede a palate of creamy fruit and notes of pepper, ripe pears, and gooseberry. The finish is citrusy and stony with just enough fruit balanced with bright acids. At 12.5% alcohol, Der Pollerhof organic Grüner is a session quaffer, pure and simple. Like something found at a Heuriger (Austrian wine tavern). Alcohol: 12.5%
- Item #: i_311868Bottle Size: 750mlFALSTAFF: 93 POINTS
Mineral explosion grown on Leithaberg Limestone. Pale straw-yellow. On the nose apricot and crisp pear, paired with hay and delicate apple, accompainied by flint stone. On the palate black pepper and a smoky minerality; creaminess and depth from maturation in large oak cask, vibrant acidity creates an elegant drinking pleasure. Elegant finish. A Chardonnay resembling Chablis.
- Item #: i_115626Bottle Size: 750mlThis tastes similar to White Burgundy, but at a friendlier price!
Neuburger is an old natural crossing of Roter Veltliner and Silvaner, first noticed in the 19th Century. Typically, it makes full-bodied, rather powerful wine. There's very little of it, only around 250 hectares in all of Austria, and it's usually found in Burgenland and the Wachau. Typically, it takes on a nutty flavor and is a real pain to produce, subject to rot and rain damage, which more or less explains why so few wineries go the trouble of making it. Feiler, however, is very fond of the grape - they have 1.5 hectares of it and produce one of the country's best every year. The grape is happiest in warm, dry years, such as 2015. This wine is very full-flavored with a combination of intense floral aromas and a distinct herbal finish. It is unlike any other Austrian wine, though there are some similarities with an almost equally unknown grape, Roter Veltliner.
It should be served with hearty foods and can stand up to any meat - the Viennese signature dish Tafelspitz comes to mind. This wine was aged in lightly toasted barrels; it has undergone malolactic fermentation; the acid is not high but the flavors are dazzling. Aging potential is around 8-9 years or so. A unique and wonderful wine.
- Item #: i_372457Bottle Size: 750mlDry, fresh and crisp with a nose full of lime blossoms. Citrusy and clean. A dry riesling from the granite island surrounding the winery in Roschitz. Steel tank fermentation. Organic. Biological certified by Ecocert.
- Item #: i_342392Bottle Size: 750mlWINE ENTHUSIAST 90 POINTS - "Ripe notes of fresh green and yellow pear and melon make for a most friendly, appetizing nose. The light palate comes in with freshness and an easy, slightly pithy texture. The finish is dry and suave."
- Item #: i_342385Bottle Size: 750mlWINE SPECTATOR - 90 POINTS This is high-toned, exuding elderflower, lemon, white peach and lentil flavors. Vibrant, with the bracing acidity driving the long finish. Drink now through 2023. 45 cases imported.
* * *
Nuances of yellow tropical fruit, a bit of pineapple and mango, hints of flowers and honey; complex texture, elegant, fine acidity, good length; versatile food companion.
- Item #: i_304159Bottle Size: 750mlThis is 100% Blaufrankisch, from three different vineyards in Nectenmarkt with the most distinctive soils of limestone, slate and granite. Nose of Marzipan and cherry, with more cherry reflected on the palate. Non-filtered and no fining. Natural wine.
"The word Kolfok has it's origins in a regional dialect and describes a person, critical to common thoughts - an unconventional thinker. Some parts of the vineyards are directly at the border of Hungary, especially the town Neckenmarkt shows an unique combination of alpine soils and Pannonian climate. In the middle of the Oedenburger Valley, Neckenmarkt is located at a relatively high altitude, the vineyards are up to 500 meter above sea level with a smorgasbord of soils coming into play. In the higher parts soils range from schist, gneiss to limestone, and in the lower vineyards from ferrous loam to volcanic clay.
Says Stefan: "I want to show those exceptional conditions in my wines. That's why I work natural both in the vineyards and in the cellar. To prevent mono culture the vines are growing organically together with other herbs and plants. In the cellar it's very easy - the wine leaves the press without the use of pumps into local oak barrels which can be from 600 liters (Halbstueck) to 1200 liters (Stueck), this is where the stays without fining, moving or even sulfuring. At the optimum time they are bottled unfiltered with a minimal addition of sulfur."
- Item #: i_342384Bottle Size: 750mlSUSTAINABLE
Only natural yeasts for fermentation and aged on the lees until bottling. Named for the gravel soil (kies) in which it grows on 30-35-year-old vines. Aroma of limes and apples, spiced with pepper, lively acidity.
FALSTAFF MAGAZINE 90 POINTS Medium yellow-green, silver reflections. A little herbal nuances, apple, delicate mint, a hint of orange zest, spicy bouquet. Medium-bodied, juicy, fresh structure, pear fruit on the finish, salty in the aftertaste, easy to drink. Peter Moser.
Named for the gravel soil (kies) in which it grows. Aroma of limes and apples, spiced with pepper, lively acidity. The palate is light, with light lemon notes and easygoing, reviving freshness. The dry finish is wonderfully clean. Sustainably grown, from 30-35 year-old vines.
- Item #: i_333314Bottle Size: 750mlERIC ASIMOV, THE NEW YORK TIMES
Meinklang in eastern Austria near the Hungarian border, is a consistently excellent producer, and wine is just a part of what it does. The estate is a mixed environment, with animals, grains, fruits, and vegetables, farmed biodynamically with an eye toward protecting the soil. The vines benefit from this sort of enlightened approach, as do the vines. This blaufrankisch feels alive in the glass and tastes of violets and plums. The grapes spend around 9 days on the skins with manual punch downs. The wine ages on its fine lees in large used barrels and stainless steel tanks.
Tasting Notes: This is the most tannic and structured out of the Meinklang red wines. With that said, it is still juicy with fruit on the palate. Perhaps "playfully rough" is a good term to describe it. Enjoy the Meinklang Blaufrankisch with strong dishes like stewed beef.
- Item #: i_333311Bottle Size: 750mlA Pet-Nat in our Austrian section. This skin contact, unfiltered sparkling wine made of Pinot Grigio, and has intense apple notes, and fun to the core, with a complex nose. Serve chilled. Natural wine. Biodynamic and Demeter Certified.
- Item #: i_333313Bottle Size: 750mlThis dry, slightly fizzy, tremendously fun red is a blend of 80% Gamaret and 20% Blaufrankisch and dances on the palate with notes of black cherry and a light baking spice. It is a light-bodied, dry red very similar to a Lambrusco, and quite charming!
- Item #: i_333312Bottle Size: 750mlThis delicious, still wine is made of 100% Pinot Grigio from Austria in Burgenland. This is a Natural wine… unfiltered, unfined, with skin contact. In the glass, it is a cloudy pink orange color. Fruit reminiscent of orange citrus and pomegranite. Drink chilled. Delicious. Biodynamic, Demeter Certified.
Grape Variety: Pinot Gris
Soil type: Clay
Vessel type: Cement - Egg, Stainless Steel
This wine is fermented spontaneously.
- Item #: i_333309Bottle Size: 750mlBIODYNAMIC AND DEMETER CERTIFIED
A delicious orange-rose-colored wine with a bouquet and palate of lychee, hibiscus and white flowers. The grapes are Pinot Gris and Welschriesling and Traminer, and receives 10 days skin contact. This is a still wine. Crown cap. Serve chilled. Natural wine.
- Item #: i_323102Bottle Size: 750mlA delightful red is a natural wine of 60% Zweigelt, 30% Blaufrankisch, and 10% St. Laurent done with carbonic maceration preserving all the fresh juciness and bright red fruit flavors. A perfect summer quaffing red. This is a natural wine. Light-bodied like a Pinot Noir, but with crunchy red fruit. Unfined, unfiltered, low sulphites. Serve chilled.
Meinklang is one of Austria's most interesting organic producers. Demeter certified biodynamic, they are crafting inviting naturally styled and fresh wines from Burgenland. * Natural Wine, Biodynamic Wine, Demeter Certified * Screwtop.
- Item #: i_303964Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92WINE & SPIRITS 94 POINTS - "This is Roland Velich’s basic blaufrankisch, and, at the moment, his most perfectly rendered. A blend of fruit from vines of various ages growing in a range of soils across his vineyards in Neckenmarkt and Lutzmannsburg, it’s vinifies with ambient yeasts in large-format barrels, essentially giving a wide-angle view of Mittelburgenland. There’s a sense of the sunny warmth of the region in the wine’s ripe blackberry flavors, as well as of the region’s forested hills in its fir-tree details; then it ends with a sense of a refreshing breeze as the acidity sweeps the fruit along. It’s firm yet filigreed, with a granite-like coolness that emanates energy, and should keep the wine fresh over the next decade."
Although it is just the "regular" quality wine from this producer, the cherry and floral aromas leap from this medium-bodied red. The aromas and the crispness at the finish make it reminiscent of top Beaujolais Cru.
The business card of the Moric estate, the Blaufrankisch Burgenland, encapsulates the Moric style of finesse and varietal typicity. The idea behind this wine is to express not just the variety but also the origin of 8-50 year old vines grown on limestone, primary rock and loam in the villages of Neckenmarkt and Lutzmannsburg.
Harvested at a yield of 25 hectoliters per hectare and fermented on the skins for about 20 days partly in open vats and steel tank. Elevage happens in 600-4500 liter casks for about a year. Only indigenous yeasts are used primary and secondary fermentation, no filtration and no fining techniques are employed. The wine is therefore vegan. Only tiny amounts of sulfites are added.
The Blaufrankisch Burgenland shows a beautiful translucent coleur, with a fine tannin structure and exceptional balance. The wine will improve with bottle age for at least five years but will show beautifully for many years beyond.
- Item #: i_324080Bottle Size: 750mlWINE ADVOCATE - 94 POINTS From hard primary rock soils with just a very thin layer of humus, the shining citrus-yellow colored 2014 Steiner Hund Riesling is clear, deep, pure and flinty on the discreet but subtly intense, complex and refined nose with its hidden floral, herbal and refreshing stony aromas. Full-bodied, pure and highly elegant on the palate, this Kremstal Riesling is lush and full of energy and vitality. Its finish is vibrantly fresh and persistently salty. This is a highly promising, Smaragd-styled Riesling in a purely mineral style. No hints of botrytis. Bottled in September 2017. Tasted at the Nikolaihof in Mautern/Wachau, September 2018.