Austrian wines are mostly dry white wines (often made from the Grüner Veltliner grape), though some sweeter white wines (such as dessert wines made around the Neusiedler See) are also produced. About 30% of the wines are red, made from Blaufränkisch (also known as Lemberger, or as Kékfrankos in neighbouring Hungary), Pinot Noir and locally bred varieties such as Zweigelt. The country is also home to Riedel, makers of some of the most expensive wine glasses in the world. Some of the best producers of Austria include Weingut F.X. Pichler and Weingut Franz Hirtzberger, Weingut Hutter, Weingut Eigl and Wellanschitz.
- Item #: i_306004Bottle Size: 1LYes, folks, this wine comes in a (1.0) liter bottle, which means you get to have more fun! Representing the fresh, crisp and refreshingly tangy side of Grüner Veltliner in the perennially-popular liter format, this is the bottling that Terry Theise calls the class of the [liter] category. Dry, crisp, and impeccably clean, this wine delivers delicious flavors of white flowers, pepper, and pink grapefruit, underscoredby an attractive leesiness - quintessential value Gruner Veltliner. Bottled under a crown cap; you'll need a bottle opener, not a corkscrew.
- Item #: i_311873Bottle Size: 750mlJAMES SUCKLING 94 POINTS A rich style of gruner veltliner with a great combination of exotic fruits and white pepper. Rich and fleshy on the palate with a lot of power at the textural finish. Drink or hold. Stuart Pigott.
- Item #: i_307461Bottle Size: 750MLWINE ENTHUSIAST - 90 POINTS Ripe pear, hay and yeast on the nose promise both fruit and savoriness. The palate adds lively apple freshness and combines pear and yeast in a fruity embrace. This is easy and dry but full of interest.
Well matured, green walnut, elder flowers and citrus fruit, some cereals, nuts and cornflakes, very dry and fresh with quite some body and structure, also hints of leafy and peppery spice, rye bread and malt. A light bouquet of fresh green grapes, pome and stone fruit, classic Kamptal loss type with some mineral backbone mouthwatering finish.
- Item #: i_306861Bottle Size: 750mlDry, unfined and unfiltered, this natural wine is a bit cloudy with a bright note of citrus, melon, guava, chamomile, jasmine , and a touch of white pepper. Because it is not filtered, it has a beautiful texture, like nectarine skin. The complex finish has a delicate balance of fruit, mineral, and acid. Pair with river fish, cheese, proscuitto or jamon (charcuterie), and potatoes. The 2019 release is incredibly invigorating. Native yeast, no filtering or fining.
From Amy Atwood Selections. The label on Christina tells the whole story: these are the critters who hang out in Christina Netzl's vineyards in Carnuntum, and she doesn't get rid of them. The family's 70 acres weren't always so natural, but in 2007 upon Christina's return from wine studies in London, she decided to go organic. In 2013, the winery converted to natural farming free of chemicals, and by 2018 she sought organic certification for her St. Laurent, Chardonnay, and Gruner. Grown in cooler parts of Lower Austria, Gruner vines are chilled by the Danube as they sit in sunny red gravel & loess soils. Once ripe, whole bunches are fermented spontaneously in steel during a long cold winter. The wine is racked once in the spring and bottled with very little sulfur.
- Item #: i_306862Bottle Size: 750mlThe Pannonian climate with the cool winds of the River Danube brings a very ripe, but also fresh cherry-fruit to the Zweigelt grapes resulting in wines with aromatic fruit, smooth tannins and no shortage of elegance.
Soil: red gravel & loess (Holzweg vineyard)
Vinification Method: Grapes are hand harvested and direct pressed to stainless steel tanks, with just a few hours contact with the skins to provide color. Fermentation takes place under temperature control and lasts about two weeks. The wine rests for another two weeks and then is racked once, then rests on the lees for another 6 weeks. The wine is bottled unfined and unfiltered with a small addition of sulfur.
- Item #: i_322058Bottle Size: 1LLight-bodied, crisp, and dry. Lemon and flowers on the nose precede a palate of creamy fruit and notes of pepper, ripe pears, and gooseberry. The finish is citrusy and stony with just enough fruit balanced with bright acids. At 12.5% alcohol, Der Pollerhof organic Grüner is a session quaffer, pure and simple. Like something found at a Heuriger (Austrian wine tavern). Alcohol: 12.5%
- Item #: i_311868Bottle Size: 750mlFALSTAFF: 93 POINTS
Mineral explosion grown on Leithaberg Limestone. Pale straw-yellow. On the nose apricot and crisp pear, paired with hay and delicate apple, accompainied by flint stone. On the palate black pepper and a smoky minerality; creaminess and depth from maturation in large oak cask, vibrant acidity creates an elegant drinking pleasure. Elegant finish. A Chardonnay resembling Chablis.
- Item #: i_372457Bottle Size: 750mlDry, fresh and crisp with a nose full of lime blossoms. Citrusy and clean. A dry riesling from the granite island surrounding the winery in Roschitz. Steel tank fermentation. Organic. Biological certified by Ecocert.
- Item #: i_342392Bottle Size: 750mlWINE ENTHUSIAST 90 POINTS - "Ripe notes of fresh green and yellow pear and melon make for a most friendly, appetizing nose. The light palate comes in with freshness and an easy, slightly pithy texture. The finish is dry and suave."
- Item #: i_304159Bottle Size: 750mlThis is 100% Blaufrankisch, from three different vineyards in Nectenmarkt with the most distinctive soils of limestone, slate and granite. Nose of Marzipan and cherry, with more cherry reflected on the palate. Non-filtered and no fining. Natural wine.
"The word Kolfok has it's origins in a regional dialect and describes a person, critical to common thoughts - an unconventional thinker. Some parts of the vineyards are directly at the border of Hungary, especially the town Neckenmarkt shows an unique combination of alpine soils and Pannonian climate. In the middle of the Oedenburger Valley, Neckenmarkt is located at a relatively high altitude, the vineyards are up to 500 meter above sea level with a smorgasbord of soils coming into play. In the higher parts soils range from schist, gneiss to limestone, and in the lower vineyards from ferrous loam to volcanic clay.
Says Stefan: "I want to show those exceptional conditions in my wines. That's why I work natural both in the vineyards and in the cellar. To prevent mono culture the vines are growing organically together with other herbs and plants. In the cellar it's very easy - the wine leaves the press without the use of pumps into local oak barrels which can be from 600 liters (Halbstueck) to 1200 liters (Stueck), this is where the stays without fining, moving or even sulfuring. At the optimum time they are bottled unfiltered with a minimal addition of sulfur."
- Item #: i_342384Bottle Size: 750mlSUSTAINABLE
Only natural yeasts for fermentation and aged on the lees until bottling. Named for the gravel soil (kies) in which it grows on 30-35-year-old vines. Aroma of limes and apples, spiced with pepper, lively acidity.
FALSTAFF MAGAZINE 90 POINTS Medium yellow-green, silver reflections. A little herbal nuances, apple, delicate mint, a hint of orange zest, spicy bouquet. Medium-bodied, juicy, fresh structure, pear fruit on the finish, salty in the aftertaste, easy to drink. Peter Moser.
Named for the gravel soil (kies) in which it grows. Aroma of limes and apples, spiced with pepper, lively acidity. The palate is light, with light lemon notes and easygoing, reviving freshness. The dry finish is wonderfully clean. Sustainably grown, from 30-35 year-old vines.
- Item #: i_333311Bottle Size: 750mlA Pet-Nat in our Austrian section. This skin contact, unfiltered sparkling wine made of Pinot Grigio, and has intense apple notes, and fun to the core, with a complex nose. Serve chilled. Natural wine. Biodynamic and Demeter Certified.
- Item #: i_333302Bottle Size: 750mlJuicy and delicious...this lightly sparkling Pinot Noir Rose from Meinklang is made with a summer picnic in mind! Bright fruit, ripe acidity and a little spritz work perfectly together. It shows alpine strawberry, raspberry, and bramble leaf. Spontaneously fermented and charmat method for purity and freshness. Just so quaffable. Natural Wine, Biodynamic Wine, Demeter Certified
GQ Magazine: "Combining lesser-known Austrian grapes – Zweigelt, St Laurent, and Blaufrankish – this lightly sparkling rosé makes the perfect aperitif. Don’t let the pinker hue fool you; this wine is crisp, dry and dangerously drinkable. Still not sold? Well, how about the fact the winemaker perfected this particular Prosa for her own wedding? Yes, it’s that good." (MW)
About: Located in Seewinkel, a remote enclave on the eastern side of Lake Neusidl near the Hungarian border, Meinklang is more than just a vineyard and winery; it is a fully self-sustaining family farm and eco-community. Inspired by Rudolf Steiner and Goethe, the Michlits family led by Anneliese and Werner Mitchlit took over their family farm over 20 years ago with dreams of a complete agricultural and viticultural project that exists in perfect harmony with nature. They began with organic cultivation, and converted to Biodynamics 10 years later. Long warm days extend into the autumn, an optimal climate for phenolic ripeness. They make their own compost from manure, pomace and plant cuttings, emphasizing living soils in their vineyards. In addition to wine production, they raise cattle (the pride of the farm is not wine grapes but a herd of Angus cattle, which provide manure for fertilizer) as well as many other heirloom crops and wild insect colonies. Their vineyards are surrounded by natural ponds and cover crops of wild herbs and grasses. This combined with the wild insects, bees especially; promote healthy soils and natural pollination for a diverse ecosystem. Wines ferment exclusively with native yeasts and made with minimal intervention. The couple works as minimally as possible in the cellar, allowing only wild or ambient yeasts and adding nothing to the winemaking process. The mineral-rich volcanic soils are ideal for our vines. Basalt and loess weather together with light layers of sand to make fertile soils. They are loose, well-aerated and retain heat – the perfect conditions for vines. Through small cracks in the rock, their roots penetrate many metres into the mountain’s interior, absorbing its valuable minerals. Hungary‘s smallest wine region (Somlo) is only around 800 ha in size. While the individual sites and slopes were originally divided between the noble families, today the area is characterised by many little parcels used by self-sufficient farmers. Picturesque little houses, fruit trees, shrubs and enchanting cottage gardens blend into the mountain vineyard landscape.
- Item #: i_116729Bottle Size: 750mlThis easy sipping white blend shows off each of its grapes. Full of green apple notes, a touch of stone fruit, a beautiful floral touch, and a hint of peppery finish, this wine is a delight. All stainless steel fermented for a bright, crisp Austrian gem. This is a beautiful blend of Gruner Veltliner (50%, Welschriesling 40%, Muskat (10%), creamy, juicy with a fantastic aromatic finish.
- Item #: i_333309Bottle Size: 750mlBIODYNAMIC AND DEMETER CERTIFIED
A delicious orange-rose-colored wine with a bouquet and palate of lychee, hibiscus and white flowers. The grapes are Pinot Gris and Welschriesling and Traminer, and receives 10 days skin contact. This is a still wine. Crown cap. Serve chilled. Natural wine. Vegan.
- Item #: i_323102Bottle Size: 750mlA delightful red is a natural wine of 60% Zweigelt, 30% Blaufrankisch, and 10% St. Laurent done with carbonic maceration preserving all the fresh juciness and bright red fruit flavors. A perfect summer quaffing red. This is a natural wine. Light-bodied like a Pinot Noir, but with crunchy red fruit. Unfined, unfiltered, low sulphites. Serve chilled.
Meinklang is one of Austria's most interesting organic producers. Demeter certified biodynamic, they are crafting inviting naturally styled and fresh wines from Burgenland. * Natural Wine, Biodynamic Wine, Demeter Certified * Screwtop.
- Item #: i_303964Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92WINE & SPIRITS 94 POINTS - "This is Roland Velich’s basic blaufrankisch, and, at the moment, his most perfectly rendered. A blend of fruit from vines of various ages growing in a range of soils across his vineyards in Neckenmarkt and Lutzmannsburg, it’s vinifies with ambient yeasts in large-format barrels, essentially giving a wide-angle view of Mittelburgenland. There’s a sense of the sunny warmth of the region in the wine’s ripe blackberry flavors, as well as of the region’s forested hills in its fir-tree details; then it ends with a sense of a refreshing breeze as the acidity sweeps the fruit along. It’s firm yet filigreed, with a granite-like coolness that emanates energy, and should keep the wine fresh over the next decade."
Although it is just the "regular" quality wine from this producer, the cherry and floral aromas leap from this medium-bodied red. The aromas and the crispness at the finish make it reminiscent of top Beaujolais Cru.
The business card of the Moric estate, the Blaufrankisch Burgenland, encapsulates the Moric style of finesse and varietal typicity. The idea behind this wine is to express not just the variety but also the origin of 8-50 year old vines grown on limestone, primary rock and loam in the villages of Neckenmarkt and Lutzmannsburg.
Harvested at a yield of 25 hectoliters per hectare and fermented on the skins for about 20 days partly in open vats and steel tank. Elevage happens in 600-4500 liter casks for about a year. Only indigenous yeasts are used primary and secondary fermentation, no filtration and no fining techniques are employed. The wine is therefore vegan. Only tiny amounts of sulfites are added.
The Blaufrankisch Burgenland shows a beautiful translucent coleur, with a fine tannin structure and exceptional balance. The wine will improve with bottle age for at least five years but will show beautifully for many years beyond.
- Item #: i_324080Bottle Size: 750mlWINE ADVOCATE - 94 POINTS From hard primary rock soils with just a very thin layer of humus, the shining citrus-yellow colored 2014 Steiner Hund Riesling is clear, deep, pure and flinty on the discreet but subtly intense, complex and refined nose with its hidden floral, herbal and refreshing stony aromas. Full-bodied, pure and highly elegant on the palate, this Kremstal Riesling is lush and full of energy and vitality. Its finish is vibrantly fresh and persistently salty. This is a highly promising, Smaragd-styled Riesling in a purely mineral style. No hints of botrytis. Bottled in September 2017. Tasted at the Nikolaihof in Mautern/Wachau, September 2018.
- Item #: i_362339Bottle Size: 750mlWINE ENTHUSIAST 90 POINTS Pure citrus rises from the glass—think mandarin and ripe lemon zest. The palate is juicy and bright with ripe lemon freshness. The finish is moreish, dry and utterly citrus-focused. ANNE KREBIEHL MW
- Item #: i_324111Bottle Size: 750mlA STAFF FAVORITE. Pale pink with vivid notes of lemon zest and tender flavors of strawberry and cranberry. The slender palate has the same zesty poise as the nose and presents streamlined refreshment, pristine citrus and a dry lip-smacking finish—a most elegant rose. ---
Cool and refreshing with cherry and citrus notes. Rose hip, and citrus accent an infectiously juicy matrix of tart cherry and nectarine, leading to a satisfyingly long, saliva-inducingly saline, and delightfully zippy finish. The Cistercien Rosé is made of Zweigelt, St. Laurent and Pinot Noir . Let Summer begin!
- Item #: i_372459Bottle Size: 750mlWINE ADVOCATE 91 POINTS Martin Mittelbach's 2014 Riesling Smaragd Loibenberg opens pure and very smoky on the deep, well-concentrated nose. This is elegant, clear and finesse-full Riesling made from partly overripe Riesling berries, which give the intense and concentrated fruit on the palate. Some grams of residual sugar help to keep the alcohol moderate and the aging potential high. There is nice and stimulating salinity in the finish.
- Item #: i_342393Bottle Size: 750mlWINE ADVOCATE - 96+ POINTS The intensely yellow colored 2016 Ried Zieregg Sauvignon Blanc is incredibly deep, intense and spicy on the ripe, concentrated and fresh nose that intertwines vegetal and chalky notes with spicy and coolish fruit flavors (gooseberries, black cassis). On the palate, the wine is silky textured, dense and concentrated yet tight, refined and elegant, showing gorgeous bitters (grapefruit) in the long, promising finish... Armin Tement believes it is the finest Zieregg the domain has ever produced, and I agree... Tasted June 2018. Stephan Reinhardt.
12-HOUR SKIN CONTACT NATURAL YEAST FERMENTATION, UNFINED, UNFILTERED
About Tement: Weingut Tement is a family winery in Austria. The vineyards are located in Sudsteiermark (southern Styria) directly on the border with Slovenia, on a narrow plateau into which the slope of the Zieregg cru gently flattens. Armin and his father Manfred, who founded the estate in 1979, handcraft some of the most highly awarded Austrian wines. The farming is certified Organic by Lacon. All fermentation is naturally occurring from indgenous yeasts and all wines are aged on the lees without sulphur. The crus are bottled without finings and filtratons. Their Sauvignon Blanc was the first to receive a rating of 20/20 points by Rene Gabriel and the Zieregg Sauvignon Blanc is always in the TOP TEN of the best wines Austria. The intensely yellow colored 2016 Ried Zieregg Sauvignon Blanc is incredibly deep, intense and spicy on the ripe, concentrated and fresh nose that intertwines vegetal and chalky notes with spicy and coolish fruit flavors (gooseberries, black cassis). On the palate, the wine is silky textured, dense and concentrated yet tight, refined and elegant, showing gorgeous bitters (grapefruit) in the long, promising finish, though it's still a bit closed. Armin Tement believes it is the finest Zieregg the domain has ever produced, and I agree with that. If it is also the greatest, I can't yet tell, but I'll let you know as soon as I know it. Tasted June 2018. Stephan Reinhardt.
12-HOUR SKIN CONTACT NATURAL YEAST FERMENTATION, UNFINED, UNFILTERED
About Tement: Weingut Tement is a family winery in Austria. The vineyards are located in Sudsteiermark (southern Styria) directly on the border with Slovenia, on a narrow plateau into which the slope of the Zieregg cru gently flattens. Armin and his father Manfred, who founded the estate in 1979, handcraft some of the most highly awarded Austrian wines. The farming is certified Organic by Lacon. All fermentation is naturally occurring from indgenous yeasts and all wines are aged on the lees without sulphur. The crus are bottled without finings and filtratons. Their Sauvignon Blanc was the first to receive a rating of 20/20 points by Rene Gabriel and the Zieregg Sauvignon Blanc is always in the TOP TEN of the best wines Austria.
- Item #: i_322457Bottle Size: 750mlRipe fruit, beautiful richness, but with good acidity to back it up, the Weixelbaum "Stephanus" bottling is a prime example of everything good with 2018 in Austria. Flavors of green melon, snap pea, kiwi and citrus dance around your palate in delight. If this came from the Wachau, you would probably peg this as a Smaragd, mostly for its richness, but also for its elegance and sheer drinkability. This is a Gruner that punches up above its class.