Austrian wines are mostly dry white wines (often made from the Grüner Veltliner grape), though some sweeter white wines (such as dessert wines made around the Neusiedler See) are also produced. About 30% of the wines are red, made from Blaufränkisch (also known as Lemberger, or as Kékfrankos in neighbouring Hungary), Pinot Noir and locally bred varieties such as Zweigelt. The country is also home to Riedel, makers of some of the most expensive wine glasses in the world. Some of the best producers of Austria include Weingut F.X. Pichler and Weingut Franz Hirtzberger, Weingut Hutter, Weingut Eigl and Wellanschitz.
- Item #: i_311317Bottle Size: 1LCharm and value typify these wines. Clean, cultured-yeast wines with lots of primary fruit, yet aging superbly. There's some land on the Gedersdorf plateau that's planted to red varieties. All the wines are made dry, of course. They use cultured yeasts to get slow fermentations and to preserve the utmost CO2. Berger is all stainless steel, of course.
Wine maker notes: This smells just like Zinfandel except more seductive and inviting; indeed it smells like the kind of Zin no one’s making any more since tout le monde started chasing fortified wine levels of alcohol. This is all cloves and blueberries; wonderful length of sweet fruit and ripe soft tannins; elegant poise of power and a sort of luscious solidity.
- Item #: i_306004Bottle Size: 1LYes, folks, this wine comes in a (1.0) liter bottle, which means you get to have more fun! Representing the fresh, crisp and refreshingly tangy side of Grüner Veltliner in the perennially-popular liter format, this is the bottling that Terry Theise calls the class of the [liter] category. Dry, crisp, and impeccably clean, this wine delivers delicious flavors of white flowers, pepper, and pink grapefruit, underscoredby an attractive leesiness - quintessential value Gruner Veltliner. Bottled under a crown cap; you'll need a bottle opener, not a corkscrew.
- Item #: i_306866Bottle Size: 750mlNATURAL WINE, UNFILTERED.
WINE ENTHUSIAST 92 POINTS Pink-hued and funky, this skin-contact orange wine brims with clementine and orange peel notes on the nose, supported by an overtone of honeysuckle. The light palate has a texture reminiscent of citrus pith and tingles with freshness, while clementine and white pepper notes are highlighted by the bone-dry nature. It is compelling and wonderfully light. -Anne Krebiehl MW
90% Pinot Gris, 10% Muskateller. Demeter Certified Biodynamic.
- Item #: i_303971Bottle Size: 750mlA rare, small-production natural rose wine made of Cabernet Franc. Christian's cab franc is something of a work of art for those who value the left-of-center. Intensely raw, with an air of wild raspberry and other red berries, watermelon, tomato leaf, bunches of herbs and garden soil. There's the fizzing acid of fermentation still persisting, too. Light, yet ferociously savory and forward. If you are a fan of the ultra-rare Lopez de Heredia Rosado, this is most certainly in that genre. Truly a meditation wine...a wine to sit down with, ponder, and think about life.
- Item #: i_306865Bottle Size: 750mlThis Orange wine of Chardonnay is from the Caruntum region of Burgenland. The organically farmed grapes are given 24 days on the skins (skin-contact) during their spontaneous fermentation. Lovely vivid orange color. Fruity nose of orange blossom, tangerine and nectarine. The wine is not overly tannic, but has a nice mouthfeel, and a clean and restrained style of skin contact. Wonderful citrus peel and stone fruit notes, full-bodied while bright that goes exceptionally well with dinner.
The wine is fermented spontaneously in open boxes, in contact with the skins for 24 days. The skins are pressed and the wine spends 10 months in stainless steel.
- Item #: i_306861Bottle Size: 750mlDry, unfined and unfiltered, this natural wine is a bit cloudy with a bright note of citrus, melon, guava, chamomile, jasmine , and a touch of white pepper. Because it is not filtered, it has a beautiful texture, like nectarine skin. The complex finish has a delicate balance of fruit, mineral, and acid. Pair with river fish, cheese, proscuitto or jamon (charcuterie), and potatoes. The 2019 release is incredibly invigorating. Native yeast, no filtering or fining.
From Amy Atwood Selections. The label on Christina tells the whole story: these are the critters who hang out in Christina Netzl's vineyards in Carnuntum, and she doesn't get rid of them. The family's 70 acres weren't always so natural, but in 2007 upon Christina's return from wine studies in London, she decided to go organic. In 2013, the winery converted to natural farming free of chemicals, and by 2018 she sought organic certification for her St. Laurent, Chardonnay, and Gruner. Grown in cooler parts of Lower Austria, Gruner vines are chilled by the Danube as they sit in sunny red gravel & loess soils. Once ripe, whole bunches are fermented spontaneously in steel during a long cold winter. The wine is racked once in the spring and bottled with very little sulfur.
- Item #: i_306868Bottle Size: 750mlVarieties: Zweigelt and Blaunfrankisch
Age of Vines: 35 years
Yields: 1.5-2.5 tons per hectare
Soil: Gravel and limestone
Vinification Method: Grapes are hand harvested and destemmed. Fermentation takes place in used 500, and 1200-liter barrels, and the juice spends about 3 weeks in contact with the skins. The wine goes through elevage in the same barrels for about 12 months, with no batonnage. The wine is bottled unfined, unfiltered, and with zero addition of sulfur.
Wiltrude and Joshuari’s son. Like his sister Theodora, he has a very affectionate and easy-going nature that is typical of the inhabitants of the Burgenland, and is an attractive young man, but in no way superficial. Despite already being exceptionally popular, he still retains some hidden qualities, which makes him even more interesting. His dream is to one day become an acclaimed world star.
- Item #: i_342392Bottle Size: 750mlWINE ENTHUSIAST 90 POINTS - "Ripe notes of fresh green and yellow pear and melon make for a most friendly, appetizing nose. The light palate comes in with freshness and an easy, slightly pithy texture. The finish is dry and suave."
- Item #: i_362365Bottle Size: 750mlWINE & SPIRITS - 96 POINTS - 2017 Wachau Freigest Gruner Veltliner “The back label suggests shaking this up before serving, so I did,” said our pourer as he placed the glasses in front of us. Made from grüner veltliner macerated with its skins and then left on them for 35 days, this was pressed into 500-liter Manhartsberger oak barrels to rest on the lees for 10 months; it was bottled without filtering, and with very little sulfur. The result, when it’s shaken up, is as cloudy as a hefeweizen beer. And it feels like a cloud—a pillowy cumulonimbus filled with aroma. There’s a hint of cedar, ginger, peach skin and porcini as it scuds across the palate; with air, those notes become more grüner-like, scents of orange mingling with herbs, all of it carried with a green-apple verve. It’s clean and energetic, with a mesmerizing balance of weightlessness and fullness that would suit sushi extremely well.
WINE SPECTATOR - 92 POINTS An intriguing version, cloudy, with obvious skin contact shown through the soft tannins that add to the corduroy texture. The flavor profile is impressive and expressive, featuring notes of green tea, tobacco, lemon peel and sea salt. More on a savory side, but would be great with food. Best from 2022 through 2032. 35 cases imported. — AZ
- Item #: i_372020Bottle Size: 750mlEDITOR'S CHOICE! WINE ENTHUSIAST - 97 POINTS
A pure but subtle aroma of Damask rose fills the nose, accompanied by hints of lemon and orange zest. The taut palate then turns these notions into a beguiling, aromatic mix of ripe clementine and orange. An otherworldly juiciness is tamed by the taut, racy body. This borders on alchemy. Drink by 2040. ANNE KREBIEHL MW
- Item #: i_333320Bottle Size: 750mlWinemaking Notes: The fruit for this wine was manually harvested from vines that were 10-30 years old at the time of harvest. Grapes underwent a 4-day spontaneous co-fermentation in stainless steel on their skins. Wine was aged for 4 months in stainless steel sur lie . Wine was neither fined nor filtered.
- Item #: i_333302Bottle Size: 750mlJuicy and delicious...this lightly sparkling Pinot Noir Rose from Meinklang is made with a summer picnic in mind! Bright fruit, ripe acidity and a little spritz work perfectly together. It shows alpine strawberry, raspberry, and bramble leaf. Spontaneously fermented and charmat method for purity and freshness. Just so quaffable... as dangerous as it is delicious, you’ll want to buy two bottles because the first will disappear a little too quickly. Yes, it’s that good. A blend of: 80% Pinot Noir, 20% Blaufrankisch and Zweigelt. Certified biodynamic, Natural Wine, Demeter Certified
GQ Magazine: "Combining lesser-known Austrian grapes – Zweigelt, St Laurent, and Blaufrankish – this lightly sparkling rose makes the perfect aperitif. Don’t let the pinker hue fool you; this wine is crisp, dry and dangerously drinkable. Still not sold? Well, how about the fact the winemaker perfected this particular Prosa for her own wedding? Yes, it’s that good." (MW)
About: Located in Seewinkel, a remote enclave on the eastern side of Lake Neusidl near the Hungarian border, Meinklang is more than just a vineyard and winery; it is a fully self-sustaining family farm and eco-community. Inspired by Rudolf Steiner and Goethe, the Michlits family led by Anneliese and Werner Mitchlit took over their family farm over 20 years ago with dreams of a complete agricultural and viticultural project that exists in perfect harmony with nature. They began with organic cultivation, and converted to Biodynamics 10 years later. Long warm days extend into the autumn, an optimal climate for phenolic ripeness. They make their own compost from manure, pomace and plant cuttings, emphasizing living soils in their vineyards. In addition to wine production, they raise cattle (the pride of the farm is not wine grapes but a herd of Angus cattle, which provide manure for fertilizer) as well as many other heirloom crops and wild insect colonies. Their vineyards are surrounded by natural ponds and cover crops of wild herbs and grasses. This combined with the wild insects, bees especially; promote healthy soils and natural pollination for a diverse ecosystem. Wines ferment exclusively with native yeasts and made with minimal intervention. The couple works as minimally as possible in the cellar, allowing only wild or ambient yeasts and adding nothing to the winemaking process. The mineral-rich volcanic soils are ideal for our vines. Basalt and loess weather together with light layers of sand to make fertile soils. They are loose, well-aerated and retain heat – the perfect conditions for vines. Through small cracks in the rock, their roots penetrate many metres into the mountain’s interior, absorbing its valuable minerals. Hungary‘s smallest wine region (Somlo) is only around 800 ha in size. While the individual sites and slopes were originally divided between the noble families, today the area is characterised by many little parcels used by self-sufficient farmers. Picturesque little houses, fruit trees, shrubs and enchanting cottage gardens blend into the mountain vineyard landscape.
- Item #: i_333309Bottle Size: 750mlBIODYNAMIC AND DEMETER CERTIFIED
A delicious orange-rose-colored wine with a bouquet and palate of lychee, hibiscus and white flowers. The grapes are Pinot Gris and Welschriesling and Traminer, and receives 10 days skin contact. This is a still wine. Crown cap. Serve chilled. Natural wine. Vegan.
- Item #: i_333311Bottle Size: 750mlA Pet-Nat in our Austrian section. This skin contact, unfiltered sparkling wine made of Pinot Grigio, and has intense apple notes, and fun to the core, with a complex nose. Serve chilled. Natural wine. Biodynamic and Demeter Certified.
- Item #: i_333312Bottle Size: 750mlIt sounds pretty nuts: Create a 2,000 hectare farm on marshlands that used to be part of Austria’s biggest lake, let your Pinot Grigio vineyard run wild without any pruning, harvest, then ferment in concrete eggs with the skins for three weeks. That’s exactly how biodynamic estate Meinklang produced this delicious bottle. The name “Graupert” is a nice pun on the grape variety (Grauburgunder in German) and old Burgenland slang for someone a bit scruffy.
This delicious, still wine is made of 100% Pinot Grigio from Austria in Burgenland. This is a Natural wine… unfiltered, unfined, with skin contact. In the glass, it is a cloudy pink orange color. Fruit reminiscent of orange citrus and pomegranite. Drink chilled. Delicious. Biodynamic, Demeter Certified.
Grape Variety: Pinot Gris
Soil type: Clay
Vessel type: Cement - Egg, Stainless Steel
This wine is fermented spontaneously.
"This Pinot Grigio from Meinklang is produced on Austria’s largest biodynamic farm, but it drinks like a rare gem, and should be treasured as such. Not only does it pop with flavor, but it will give you some real feels. Cloudy and ripe cantaloupe in color, the Graupert has a seductive musk of apricot, nectarine, orange rind, and gardenia, and tastes like pithy grapefruit and lemonade with a tight, striking acidity that races right to your loins. It’s sexual tension in a glass, and I honestly catch myself batting my eyelashes at it every time I drink it." - Marissa A. Ross, Bon Appetit Magazine.
- Item #: i_303964Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92WINE & SPIRITS 94 POINTS - "This is Roland Velich’s basic blaufrankisch, and, at the moment, his most perfectly rendered. A blend of fruit from vines of various ages growing in a range of soils across his vineyards in Neckenmarkt and Lutzmannsburg, it’s vinifies with ambient yeasts in large-format barrels, essentially giving a wide-angle view of Mittelburgenland. There’s a sense of the sunny warmth of the region in the wine’s ripe blackberry flavors, as well as of the region’s forested hills in its fir-tree details; then it ends with a sense of a refreshing breeze as the acidity sweeps the fruit along. It’s firm yet filigreed, with a granite-like coolness that emanates energy, and should keep the wine fresh over the next decade."
Although it is just the "regular" quality wine from this producer, the cherry and floral aromas leap from this medium-bodied red. The aromas and the crispness at the finish make it reminiscent of top Beaujolais Cru.
The business card of the Moric estate, the Blaufrankisch Burgenland, encapsulates the Moric style of finesse and varietal typicity. The idea behind this wine is to express not just the variety but also the origin of 8-50 year old vines grown on limestone, primary rock and loam in the villages of Neckenmarkt and Lutzmannsburg.
Harvested at a yield of 25 hectoliters per hectare and fermented on the skins for about 20 days partly in open vats and steel tank. Elevage happens in 600-4500 liter casks for about a year. Only indigenous yeasts are used primary and secondary fermentation, no filtration and no fining techniques are employed. The wine is therefore vegan. Only tiny amounts of sulfites are added.
The Blaufrankisch Burgenland shows a beautiful translucent coleur, with a fine tannin structure and exceptional balance. The wine will improve with bottle age for at least five years but will show beautifully for many years beyond.
- Item #: i_372094Bottle Size: 750mlWINE ENTHUSIAST - 90 POINTS
Fresh notes of green Conference pears mix with a vivid overtone of pear drop. The palate speak of crisp freshness, clean-cut pear fruit, subtle yeasty nuance and fine concentration. This is slender but wonderfully fresh and bright. ANNE KREBIEHL MW
The Gruner Veltliner Freiheit, with its overt green bean, snap pea, and floral aromas, is more overtly Gruner Veltliner-typical than the Gartling. In the mouth, a rich peachy fruit and ore-like, savory sense of "the mineral" ally themselves to the flavors of legumes. Bright lime citricity extend the range of expression, and this finishes with long, savory traces in all registers. Certainly it represents another outstanding value and proves Nigl this year's consummate master of the supposedly modest, introductory-level, low alcohol wine.
- Item #: i_304160Bottle Size: 750mlWINE ADVOCATE - 94 POINTS
From 40- to 45-year-old vines in the Hochberg and with very small berries, the dark 2015 Blaufränkisch Vision offers very deep, ripe, intense and super concentrated dark fruit on the toasty nose. Fermented in a 1,000-liter oak vat and aged in 100% new small oak barrels for 16 months, this is a full-bodied and rich, very elegant and refreshingly pure red with great vitality, grip and length. There are some hints of a dry Douro red, but in fact, this is a great Blaufränkisch from the (Middle) Burgenland. This is an impressive Blaufränkisch with power, finesse and vitality. The aftertaste is incredibly fresh and pure, full of tension and character. Gosh, this is a great wine, although the 2015 is only slowly starting to open up. This is a giant that I terribly underrated as a barrel sample a year ago. If only this wine would be released three to five years after the harvest like a Rioja Grande Reserva, Austria would have another great Blaufränkisch to adore. Without any doubt, this 2015 will still be a great wine in ten and even in 15 years. Tasted from the bottle in December 2018.
- Item #: i_362346Bottle Size: 750mlRosi and Hannes Schuster have created a powerful style and a full-bodied and fruity Rotburger (previously known as Zweigelt.) More muscle than is normal with this wine. This is a certified Organic winery. The style is concentrated with good extraction, but retains its brilliance and racy Rotburger soul. Rotburger is a cross of the St.Laurent and Blaufrankisch grapes, and is perhaps still more commonly known as Zweigelt.
- Item #: i_362339Bottle Size: 750mlWINE ENTHUSIAST 90 POINTS Pure citrus rises from the glass—think mandarin and ripe lemon zest. The palate is juicy and bright with ripe lemon freshness. The finish is moreish, dry and utterly citrus-focused. ANNE KREBIEHL MW
- Item #: i_362642Bottle Size: 750mlWine Enthusiast: 91WINE ENTHUSIAST 91 POINTS - "Moss, crushed sage and yarrow play alongside green pear on this fresh, vivid nose. The slender, crisp palate adds a note of salty yeast to this and boosts the flavors with lemony freshness. This is quintessential, gorgeous, slender and refreshing Grüner."
Extremely fragrant with whiffs of juicy mirabelle plum. So seductive and openly expressive with a pleasant filigree touch. Compact yet lively and robust. Fine stone fruit notes. Layers of subtle undertones and a nice racy finish.
- Item #: i_324111Bottle Size: 750mlA STAFF FAVORITE. Pale pink with vivid notes of lemon zest and tender flavors of strawberry and cranberry. The slender palate has the same zesty poise as the nose and presents streamlined refreshment, pristine citrus and a dry lip-smacking finish—a most elegant rose. ---
Cool and refreshing with cherry and citrus notes. Rose hip, and citrus accent an infectiously juicy matrix of tart cherry and nectarine, leading to a satisfyingly long, saliva-inducingly saline, and delightfully zippy finish. The Cistercien Rosé is made of Zweigelt, St. Laurent and Pinot Noir . Let Summer begin!
- Item #: i_303969Bottle Size: 750mlNatural wine, Unfiltered. Limited.
Varieties: Scheurebe and several clones of Muscat
Vinification Method: Grapes are hand harvested, destemmed, and crushed by foot. Some of the skins are left in contact with the juice for 2 weeks, and some is left in contact for 4 weeks, making Christian’s only orange wine. The juice ferments in large barrels with indigenous yeast and no racking. It spends 1 year aging in 500 to 1500-liter barrels and is bottled without fining or filtering and no addition of sulfur.