- Item #: i_353438Bottle Size: 750mlThis highly aromatic Côte de Brouilly oozes with flavors of kirsch, crushed rocks, potpourri, and ripe raspberries. Juicy and fresh, the wine’s tangy acidity and structured backbone lead to a long finish. Drink over the next five years.
- Item #: i_353437Bottle Size: 750mlPRACTICING ORGANIC
The wines have a seductive aromatic component, a silky texture, and a downright deliciousness that is unmistakably Foillard. After all, Alex used tried-and-true techniques to craft his wines: whole-cluster fermentation with natural yeasts, no fining or filtration, and no additives of any kind save for a minute sulfur dose at bottling. The new generation at Domaine Foillard has burst onto the scene with a bang, and the future is full of exciting possibilities for this talented Beaujolais youngster.
- Item #: i_345408Bottle Size: 750MLGrowing up the son of famous “Gang of Four” Morgon producer Jean-Paul Thévenet, Charly Thévenet was exposed quite early on to traditional, more natural viticulture—a philosophy that his father and friends helped to resurrect in Beaujolais in the early eighties. Though only in his twenties, Charly has already started a dynamic career. A few years ago, with extensive experience working for his father and in Marcel Lapierre’s winery already under his belt, he purchased a parcel of eighty-year-old vines in Régnié, west-southwest of his hometown of Villié-Morgon. Régnié is a terroir enjoying something of its own renaissance in the hands of talented growers like Charly and his dad’s pal, Guy Breton. In fact, Regnié has joined the short list of Grand Crus in the Beaujolais. Situated on a plateau of seabed stone in the foothills of the Côte du Py, it gives a fresh wine with solid acidity.
As the next generation of the natural wine movement, Charly seems to have inherited his father’s savoir faire. He uses biodynamic farming techniques in the vineyard, never adding synthetic herbicides, pesticides, or fungicides to the vines. He harvests late, with an aggressive sorting of the grapes, adds minimal doses of sulfur dioxide, ages the wine in four-year-old Burgundian barriques, and bottles his wines unfiltered. Add a dose of that Thévenet talent, and you have a recipe for excellent wine! The 2007 vintage marked his first release and his first collaboration with KLWM.
We are unanimously impressed with this rising star.
- Item #: i_333771Bottle Size: 750MLVinous Media: 93VINOUS 93 POINTS - "Brilliant violet color. A suave, mineral-accented bouquet evokes ripe red/blue fruits and candied flowers and a spicy nuance builds in the glass. Bright, seamless and appealingly sweet, offering concentrated yet lively raspberry and boysenberry flavors that firm up slowly with aeration. Ripe but graceful in style, finishing gently tannic and impressively long, leaving a sexy lavender pastille note behind."
Michel Chignard is a modest perfectionist who has been practicing his craft for 4 decades. His son, Cédric, now oversees the domaine with as much care as his father. The Chignard family is fortunate to own vineyards in one of the best sites of the Fleurie appellation in Beaujolais; "Les Moriers" is a 8 hectare parcel that extends into Moulin-a-Vent territory. These 60 year old vines have roots that run deep accessing minerals from the granite subsoil thus imparting that classic Fleurie freshness and "gout de terroir".
This wine beautifully expresses the terroir of "Les Moriers"; it is fresh and playful, with deep ripe fruit and finesse.
- Item #: i_351643Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "Bouland's 2018 Chiroubles bursts with aromas of ripe blackberries, red plums, violets and cracked black pepper. On the palate, it's medium to full-bodied, ample and layered, with a succulent core of fruit, fine concentration and a long, lip-smacking finish. An especially gourmand rendition of this cuvée, it hails from a steep hillside site and is matured in tank."
- Item #: i_351642Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92WINE ADVOCATE 92+ POINTS - "Aromas of smoky berry fruit, cassis, spices and candied peel introduce the 2018 Côte de Brouilly Cuvée Melanie, a medium to full-bodied, succulent and fleshy wine that's layered and incisive, remaining fresh and lively despite its impressive mass and volume. Thanks to its perfectly mature tannins, this is unusually approachable out of the gates."
- Item #: i_351641Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93+WINE ADVOCATE 93+ POINTS - "The 2018 Morgon Bellevue Sable comes from younger vines, planted on Viala rootstock in sandy soils—as the "sable" newly added to its label makes clear. Revealing aromas of blackberries, smoked meats, cracked pepper and violets, it's medium to full-bodied, ample and muscular, with powdery structuring tannin, juicy acids and a blockier, more reserved profile than the Chiroubles and Brouilly that preceded it. This will demand a couple of years' patience before it shows all its cards."
- Item #: i_353650Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "The entire contents of the five-year-old foudre that contains Bouland's 2018 Morgon Pré Jourdan were reserved by his US importer, so overseas consumers may have a hard time finding this superb wine, which hails from lieu-dit near the village in the direction of Fleurie. Aromas of blackberries and spices mingle with notes of rose petals, violets and potpourri in a bouquet that has taken on a discrete patina from its comparatively new foudre. On the palate, the wine is medium to full-bodied, layered and succulent, with fine and powdery tannins, ripe acids and a perfumed finish."
- Item #: i_345623Bottle Size: 750MLComing from a small vineyard of one acre located in Les Bruyeres near the Cru Fleure in Beaujolais. Handpicked chardonnay, fermented and ged in stainless steel vats. Very fresh and clean and well-balanced to pair with cheese, salad or fish.
- Item #: i_360689Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 91VINOUS 91 POINTS - "Shimmering ruby color. Displays lively, mineral-tinged red berry and cherry aromas that pick up a suave floral topnote with air. Pure, minerally and focused, offering energetic raspberry and bitter cherry flavors that show an appealing blend of delicacy and power. Turns sweeter on the finish, which lingers with strong tenacity and silky, harmonious tannins."
- Item #: i_345425Bottle Size: 750MLThis estate comprises nearly fourteen hectares. Foillard’s Morgons are deep, structured, and complex, with a velvety lushness that makes them irresistible when young despite their aging potential. Jean raises his wines in older barrels sourced from top estates in Burgundy, a logical decision for someone crafting Gamay in a Burgundian style. It is the passion and dedication of vignerons like this that have brought pride back to the crus of the Beaujolais.
Jean Foillard is one of the most iconic names in modern day Beaujolais. His unfettered expressions of the great vineyards of the region have amassed a massive cult-following, both at home and abroad. His wines are considered benchmarks of Beaujolais. Using traditional practices, Foillard weaves a mesmerising tapestry of texture, clarity and energy through each of his creations. The Fleurie is one of Foillard's most sought-after cuveés in his homeland, so much so that it is rarely seen in Australia. It is a wonderful, expressive example of the vineyard: all floral top notes, finely etched tannin and the signature "Foillard minerality" that shows as a thumbprint on all his wines.
- Item #: i_304505Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 94ORGANIC
WINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS - "The 2018 Morgon Côte du Py is showing very nicely, offering up a classy bouquet of raspberries and plums, mingled with hints of orange rind, violet and cardamom. Medium to full-bodied, deep and complete, with a fleshy but elegantly understated core and an expansive finish. Impressively integrated—indeed, it was only after spending half an hour with the bottle that I noticed that it's labeled at 14.5% alcohol—with powdery tannins and succulent balancing acids, it's another fine rendition of this iconic cuvée."
- Item #: i_351029Bottle Size: 750mlJean and three other local vignerons, Marcel Lapierre, Jean-Paul Thévenet, and Guy Breton, soon joined in on the movement. This estate comprises nearly fourteen hectares. Foillard’s Morgons are deep, structured, and complex, with a velvety lushness that makes them irresistible when young despite their aging potential.
- Item #: i_353212Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 93VINOUS 93 POINTS - "Youthful purple. Expansive, mineral- and spice-accented raspberry, cherry and floral pastille aromas show outstanding clarity and pick up a subtle hint of gaminess as the wine opens up. Stains the palate with sweet red/blue fruit flavors that display both depth and vibrancy. Firms up stealthily on an impressively long, floral- and mineral-driven finish that's given shape by smooth, well-knit tannins."
- Item #: i_353079Bottle Size: 1.5LVinous Media: 94VINOUS 94 POINTS - "Glistening ruby. Mineral-inflected red/blue fruits on the assertively perfumed nose, along with incense, exotic spices and fresh flowers. Alluringly sweet and penetrating, offering intense boysenberry and raspberry flavors braced by juicy acidity. Fine-grained tannins add spine to a wonderfully long, sappy finish that strongly repeats the floral and mineral notes."
- Item #: i_353078Bottle Size: 750mlnever using synthetic herbicides or pesticides
The methods at Lapierre are just as revolutionary as they are traditional; the detail and precision with which they work is striking and entirely different from the mass-produced majority of Beaujolais on the market today. Decomposed granite comprises most of their eleven hectares, and the vines are an average of 45 years of age. Grapes are picked at the last possible moment to obtain the ripest fruit, which is a trademark of the estate style. The Lapierres age their wines on fine lees for at least nine months in oak foudres and fûts ranging from three to thirteen years old. These wines are the essence of Morgon: bright, fleshy fruit with a palatable joie de vivre that was undoubtedly inherited from their creator.
- Item #: i_346005Bottle Size: 750MLJASPER MORRIS-INSIDE BURGUNDY 91 POINTS - "100 year old vines on the Côte du Py for 80%, and 20% from Douby. It will have had 9 months in barrel though without new wood. Bright lively purple with notably more depth. Fresh and fine with more tannins than the other cuvées, though the wood stays completely in the background as far as flavour profile is concerned." (10/2019) This special Cuvée, produced only in the best years, is made from his 100-year old vines, mostly on the Cote de Py. With its waxed capsule and its longer cork, it is clear that Marcel thinks this is something special. And after tasting it, so do we! This has a tremendous sense of place and a texture that is so rich that is more reminiscence of Chambolle than Beaujolais. There are not many Cru Beaujolais that seem to be of true Cote d'Or quality, but this is one! Unmistakably Gamay and Morgon, but what weight and texture. Neal Martin writes: "These wines come highly recommended whether the idea of biodynamics turns you on or not - they are just great wines that are a joy to drink."
- Item #: i_304231Bottle Size: 750mlWinemaker's Notes
"This crisp, fruit-forward and juicy wine has expressive aromas and flavors of ripe red berries, with nice heft in the mouth, and mineral and spice notes. Most red meats and grilled or roasted white meats, especially those prepared with savory herbs or spices."
- Item #: i_350080Bottle Size: 750mlThe legend of Marcel Lapierre continues as his son Michael and daughter Camille perpetuate the greatness with purity, clarity and deliciousness each vintage. Here they have purchased fruit of 60 year old Gamay vines from Cotes de Besay vineyard in Julienas but the style will resonate with anyone who has enjoyed the Lapierre wines before. Fresh, lush extraordinarily easy drinking and satisfying Gamay at a very reasonable price. Grab it while you can.
- Item #: i_352532Bottle Size: 750mlSébastien and Charlotte Congretel named their 2.5 hectare Domaine L’Épicurieux after the Greek philosopher Epicurus, who taught that the object of life is balanced pleasure derived from tranquility and harmony. Not surprisingly, this is a very apt description for their balanced and highly pleasurable Beaujolais. After a career working on oil rigs, Sébastien decided in 2015 to become a vigneron in Beaujolais, where Charlotte’s family make wine. The couple acquired some parcels in Morgon and Régnié and made their first vintage in 2016. As befits a couple that adopted a Greek philosopher’s name, Sébastien and Charlotte follow a very thoughtful and principled approach to their viticulture. They adhere strictly to organic standards and are moving toward biodynamic certification. Even now, their Cru Beaujolais wines most assuredly qualify as “natural”.
- Item #: i_344276Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 92Vinous Media: 92VINOUS 92 POINTS - "Glimmering ruby. A highly perfumed bouquet evokes fresh red/blue fruits, exotic spices and smoky minerals, along with a sexy floral overtone. Sweet black raspberry, cherry, violet pastille and spicecake flavors that show impressive depth as well as vivacity. In a distinctly elegant, lively style with a very long, floral-dominated finish that's given shape by well-knit tannins that fold steadily into the wine's sappy, appealingly sweet fruit. This must be one of the best values in Beaujolais."
WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "Brun's dependably superb 2018 Beaujolais l’Ancien offers up notes of rose petals, cherries and raspberries, followed by a medium to full-bodied, fleshy palate built around satiny tannins and juicy acids. It's a beautifully gourmand but precise wine, demonstrating the strengths of this vintage in the limestone soils of the southern Beaujolais."