Pinot Noir is a red wine grape variety of the species Vitis vinifera. Pinot Noir grapes are grown around the world, mostly in the cooler regions, but the grape is chiefly associated with the Burgundy region of France. Other regions that have gained a reputation for Pinot Noir include the Willamette Valley of Oregon, the Carneros, Central Coast and Russian River AVAs of California, the Walker Bay wine region of South Africa, Tasmania and Yarra Valley in Australia and the Central Otago, Martinborough and Marlborough wine regions of New Zealand. Pinot Noir is also a primary variety used in sparkling wine production in Champagne and other wine regions. It is widely considered to produce some of the finest wines in the world, but is a difficult variety to cultivate and transform into wine. The grape's tendency to produce tightly packed clusters makes it susceptible to several viticultural hazards involving rot that require diligent canopy management. The thin-skins and low levels of phenolic compounds lends Pinot to producing mostly lightly colored, medium bodied low tannin wines that can often go through dumb phases with uneven and unpredictable aging. When young, wines made from Pinot Noir tend to have red fruit aromas of cherries, raspberries and strawberries. As the wines age, Pinots have the potential to develop vegetal and "barnyard" aromas that can contribute to the complexity of the wine.
- Item #: i_200019Bottle Size: EACHThe 14th vintage, the 2016 Valerie’s Vineyard Pinot Noir has arrived! Valerie’s terroir driven one-acre Carneros vineyard has delivered another winner and we think that vintage to vintage coming out of the drought has created a consistent, very Burgundian wine. The winemaking and attention to detail in the vineyard has never been better. We had solid success with the 2015 in New York and locally and we received some great press including 92 scores in some top publications. Like every vintage, the ‘15 is now sold-out.
The 2016 vintage, the 5th year coming out of drought produced great fruit that looked and tasted like pre-drought clusters, big and luscious. Although quantity increased (100 cases) the quality and color were maintained. The long growing season allowed the clusters and berries to create concentrated-long flavors and elegant, yet luxurious wines. Aged for 12 months in 100% new French oak, the wine presents a seamless and balanced matrix of fresh aromas and vanilla complexity. The garnet color is a signature of the 2016 harvest. Typical of our Los Carneros sub-appellation, the refreshing acidity and cranberry fruit components compose a wine that will bring instant gratification while paired with various cuisines and will also reward patience with incomparable ageability. Winemaker Jeff McBride and the bio-dynamic practices of Valerie’s winemaking home at Benziger Family Winery fit our farming practices and style perfectly. Our vineyard practices are guided by vineyard guru Phil Coturri.
There were only 100 cases produced of 2016. The wine retails at $40 bottle depending where it is purchased. Get this while you can from fine restaurants in Sonoma Valley like Sonoma Grille plus Broadway Market.
PRINCE OF PINOT 95 POINTS - "14.1% alc.,100 cases, $40. Three families hand farm this 1-acre vineyard along with vineyard practices guided by Phil Coturri. Produced and bottled by Benziger Family Winery, Glen Ellen (winemaker Jeff McBride). 14th vintage. Aged 12 months in 100% new French oak barrels. · Moderately light ruby red color in the glass. Intoxicating aromas of fresh berries, fertile earth and compost. Gorgeous in every way, featuring a vivid mid weight core of dark red cherry and berry flavors framed by engaging tannins and supported by juicy acidity. The unbelievably intense and persistent finish is a message from heaven. I have tasted almost every vintage of Valerie’s and the wines are consistently fine, but this one is the best ever."
- Item #: i_201110Bottle Size: 750mlThe 2014 A to Z Pinot Noir leads with aromas of cherries, raspberries, and blackberries, developing to iris, blueberries, strawberries and minerals. A beautiful attack has vibrant red fruit flavors and floral notes, then deepens with hints of blood orange and blueberry jam. Ripe tannins are balanced by perfect acidity and the mid-palate reveals spice, tobacco and earth notes adding richness and complexity. The finish is quite long which allows all the elements of the wine to come together and show the intrinsic balance and complexity of the 2014 Oregon vintage. WINERY NOTES
- Item #: i_200130Bottle Size: 750mlThe myriad of dark fruit and floral notes in this Pinot Noir come from the cool, windy Los Carneros American Viticultural Area (AVA) in the southern reaches of Napa Valley. Satsuma plum, blackberry, red rose and violet notes weave through the enticing aromas, mingled with warm nuances of vanilla and toasted oak from barrel aging. Silky, elegant flavors echo the aromas, adding blueberry and plum to the rich fruit complexity. You'll find this wine's lush flavors, bright acidity and fine tannins are perfectly balanced to complement a broad range of foods, from grilled salmon and chicken, to lamb and wild mushrooms.
- Item #: i_200270Bottle Size: 750MLVINOUS 92 POINTS - "Elegant and intense, offering layered aromas of red raspberries, fresh Oregon strawberries, brown spice, and cedar. It is exceptionally balanced with silky tannins and a persistent finish. This wine would pair well with lamb, duck, salmon, and aged cheeses."
David Adelsheim and Ginny Adelsheim planted their first vineyards in Oregon's Willamette Valley back in 1972. Since producing their first commercial vintage in 1978, the Adelsheims have used sustainable farming practices and take great care to bring out the best in each of their unique vineyard sites. In the winery, they combine traditional and modern techniques, crafting wines in a style that centers on elegance, complexity and richness in flavor and texture.
The Elizabeth's Reserve bottling is a "best of" blend, using only the best barrels in the cellar. With many wonderful lots representing different soil types, clones, site climates, fermenter sizes and barrel characteristics, winemaker Dave Paige pulls together a wine that truly reflects the vintage and character.
This wine is both elegant and intense, offering layered aromas of red raspberries, fresh Oregon strawberries, brown spice and cedar. Aromas reflected on the palate are pure and elegant, it is exceptionally balanced with silky tannins and a persistent finish. This wine will pair beautifully with lamb, duck, grilled salmon and aged cheeses.
- Item #: i_277458Bottle Size: 375ML**Please note, this is a half sized bottleWith its broad array of origins and clones, this wine displays red aromas (candied cherry, pomegranate and raspberry) on the nose and the palate. In addition, one finds a light touch of brown spices (nutmeg, cinnamon, all-spice). True to Adelsheim's house style, it is elegantly textured with seamlessly integrated, silky, polished tannins. Pair it with salmon, ahi, veal, pork, poultry (think duck), beef or hearty vegetarian entrees.
- Item #: i_200280Bottle Size: 750mlWith its broad array of origins and clones, this 100% Pinot Noir displays aromas of cocoa, pomegranate and raspberry on the nose and the palate as well as a light touch of nutmeg, cinnamon and allspice. True to Adelsheim's house style, it is elegantly textured with seamlessly integrated, silky, polished tannins.
Adelsheim Vineyard began back in 1971 with Ginny and David Adelsheim purchasing 19 acres in beautiful Oregon countryside. They shared a dream with a handful of families that Oregon's climate and land could one day produce serious wines. A home was built, vines planted, and in 1978, the first commercial wines were produced. Over four decades, Adelsheim Vineyard grew up with Oregon's wine industry pioneering the way towards the future of wine production.
With its broad array of origins and clones, this wine displays aromas of cocoa, pomegranate and raspberry on the nose and the palate as well as a light touch of nutmeg, cinnamon and allspice. True to Adelsheim's house style, it is elegantly textured with seamlessly integrated, silky, polished tannins. Pair it with salmon, ahi, veal, pork, duck, beef or hearty vegetarian entrees.
- Item #: i_201460Bottle Size: 750mlWhile he has become known for his insanely delicious Petite Sirahs from Paso Robles, winemaker Aaron Jackson has recently expanded his portfolio and added some new flavors! AEQUOREA - which means “of the sea” in Latin - is focused on single vineyard wines from extreme coastal vineyards amidst San Luis Obispo County. In addition to these wines, each year Aaron Jackson also produce the Seafarer Pinot Noir as a special cuvee that brings together the elements from each of his vineyards. The goal is to create a wine that is more about overall texture and depth than individual site expression.
As always, Seafarer is the only vineyard blend Pinot Noir Aaron produces, bringing together fruit from all his coastal sites. The goal is to create a wine that is more about overall texture and depth than individual site expression. Based largely in the Stromsoe vineyard in Cayucos, along with Riven Rock (Cambria), Spanish Springs (Pismo Beach) and Derby West (San Simeon), the 2013 Seafarer is his favorite to date. The aromatics are intense - redolent of dried cranberry, red apple skin, white pepper, and Earl Grey tea. The palate is bright and vibrant, with a core of dark red fruit, uplifted spice, grated chocolate, roasted nuts, dried orange rind, and toasty oak. Only 225 cases produced!
- Item #: i_200660Bottle Size: 750mlBibiana Gonzalez Rave crafts her Alma de Cattleya wines as high-quality offerings representing the uniqueness of northern California's Sonoma County. Alma means "soul" in Spanish - and Cattleya is the national flower of her native country, Columbia. These wines are the perfect accompaniment to everyday meals and relaxing moments.
This Pinot Noir is a true expression of the varietal grown on the Coastal areas of Sonoma County with complex aromas of raspberries, spiced cherries, wild strawberries and subtle vanilla bean notes. On the palate the wine has gread acidity with a smooth texture and long finish.
- Item #: i_275877Bottle Size: 750mlAlma Rosa can be translated from Spanish to English to literally mean the "Soul of the Rose." Alma Rosa Winery and Vineyards was founded in 2005 by Sta. Rita Hills pioneer winegrowers Thekla and Richard Sanford.
Bright nose, with dusty raspberry, sage and thyme, laced with butterscotch and light-toast coffee bean cues from the French oak barrels. Flavors of ripe raspberry, red cherry and baking spices are lifted by the fresh acid backbone. On the palate, it is focused and medium-bodied, with fine grip from the seed tannin
- Item #: i_201310Bottle Size: 750mlPinot Meunier (MUH-n'yay) is a close relative to Pinot Noir and was identified as such before the 16th century. Based on recent DNA "fingerprinting", an early Pinot vine and a vine called Gouais Blanc are the parents of Pinot Meunier and other varieties, including Chardonnay and Pinot Noir. The name "Meunier" is a French word meaning "the miller". This term is given to Pinot Meunier due to the distinctive, flour-dusted appearance on its leaves.
What is it like as a still wine? Pinot Meunier is traditionally used to make sparkling wine, however as a still wine it is lighter bodied and very elegant. Pinot Meunier is appreciated for its aromatics, fruitiness, soft tannins and spicy finish. Amalie Robert's Pinot Meunier is matured in neutral oak barrels allowing the true character of the variety to impress. Combine that with the richness of the 2015 vintage, and you have a VERY individualistic wine!
ANTONIO GALLONI'S VINOUS MEDIA 91 POINTS - "Brilliant red. Spice- and herb-tinged cherry and red currant scents, slowly joined by subtle woodsmoke and cola notes. Chewy and focused on entry, offering bitter cherry and rose pastille flavors that flesh out and become sweeter with air. Nicely concentrated but lively as well, showing strong closing thrust, dusty tannins and a lingering cherry note."
- Item #: i_201055Bottle Size: 750mlAnne Amie's Estate Vineyard rests on the unique Mineral Springs ridge in Yamhill-Carlton, in the shadow of the Pacific Coast Range, which accounts for a growing season of warm, dry days and cool nights. This blend of Pommard and Dijon 115 clones grown on Willakenzie soil, uplifted marine sediment, shows the depth of fruit and rich tannins that exemplify the vineyard that they affectionately call their "backyard."
The aromas are redolent of red cherry, red plum, forest floor, stems, baking spice, while the flavors are more of wild cherry, chocolate nibs, anise, blackberry, and cinnamon. This has a long, rich finish with nice acidity.
- Item #: i_201020Bottle Size: 750mlPrisme is the truest expression of the Pinot Noir grape. Anne Amie selects only their finest blocks of Pinot noir and gently press the grapes, liberating the free run juice, but not the color or tannins from the skins. It is then barrel-fermented, and aged on its lees in French oak barrels for 18 months. This structured white wine has a backbone of acidity, a voluptuous mid-palate and along, creamy finish. Prismé is named after the word prism - the splitting of white light into its corresponding colors. Anne Amie is doing precisely that in reverse, making a rich, textured white wine from Pinot noir.
The Prisme starts with 100% Pinot noir free run juice that is settled and racked into barrels. It is entirely barrel-fermented in French oak puncheons; lees stirred, allowed partial malolactic fermentation (around 80%) and then aged on its lees for 18 months before bottling.
The aromas is this wine begin with baked apples, fennel, vanilla bean, elderflower, cardamom, candied ginger, creme brulee, then moves to flavors of ripe pears, graham cracker, nutmeg, lemon meringue, and ripe fig, with a lingering finished laced with creamy acidity.
- Item #: i_201100Bottle Size: 750mlThis appellation is widely described as "sprawling" as it encompasses half or more of the county. Anthill Farms' fruit comes from two of the coolest, most coastal parts of this appellation: the low coast, west of Sebastopol on the edge of the Petaluma Gap; and the high coast, the first or second ridge inland from the ocean farther to the north. These sites are united by the direct influence of the Pacific‘s cool, marine air, delaying ripening well into October.
- Item #: i_201750Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 90James Suckling: 94VINOUS 94 POINTS - "Vivid red. Deep-pitched aromas of fresh blackberry, cola, pungent flowers and sexy oak spices, backed by an exotic incense nuance. Pliant and expansive on the palate, offering intense, smoke-accented dark berry, cherry cola and candied licorice flavors complicated and energized by a suggestion of five-spice powder. Finishes sweet, pliant and extremely long, showing repeating spiciness and a late touch of bitter chocolate."
JAMES SUCKLING 94 POINTS - "This focused pinot noir shows aromas of jasmine, hibiscus and white lotus. Dried strawberries and plums, too. Medium body, firm and velvety tannins and a vibrant finish. I like the tannic tension here and the austerity. Delicious now but better in 2019."
- Item #: i_201730Bottle Size: 750MLThis wine just sings classic Oregon Pinot Noir with delicate floral notes melding with ripe cherry and raspberry wrapped in a light robe of baking spices. The wine has a rich hued Burgundy color with a sparkling brilliance and great clarity. The wine opens with bright, clean flavors of black cherry and forest berries. The palate adds complexities of clove and nutmeg oak spice and hints of earthy tertiary flavors coming through. The long, elegant finish is complimented by Argyle's signature silky tannins. This is a wine that begs to be drunk now, but with self-control will pay the dividends of complexity and greater depth with aging.
- Item #: i_201710Bottle Size: 750MLArgyle Pinot Noir is an honest representation of the Willamette Valley. Fermented entirely in small 1.5 ton lots and plunged by hand, Argyle Pinot Noir is blended for purity. The nose leans towards dark cherry, red raspberry and spicy earth, while the middle palate is lush and graceful. On the back end, the wine builds density and focus as the silky yet, subtly firm tannins build into the long, energetic finish.
- Item #: i_201680Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 93ANTONIO GALLONI'S VINOUS MEDIA 93 POINTS - "(50% whole clusters and 50% new French oak) Brilliant red. Powerful smoke- and spice-accented red berry liqueur, mocha and floral pastille scents show excellent clarity and pick up notes of licorice and cola with air. Sweet and expansive on the palate, offering juicy black raspberry, cherry cola, lavender and spicecake flavors that become livelier on the back half. This weighty yet lithe Pinot finishes smooth and very long, featuring slow-building tannins and resonating florality."
- Item #: i_202540Bottle Size: 750mlJack Niven pioneered winegrape planting with Paragon Vineyard in the Edna Valley in 1973. Not the bystander type, his wife Catharine soon after began a project that grew into what is now Baileyana Winery. In the mid 1990s, their two sons, James and John, purchased property next door, and expanded Paragon Vineyard. They designed and planted these new blocks with select clones, varieties and rootstocks specific to the site. They named this section Firepeak, in homage of the extinct volcanoes in the area, and the resulting volcanic soils.
Aromas of bright cherry, blackberry, rose petal and hints of spice burst from the glass of this bright and nicely balanced Pinot Noir. Flavors of dark fruit, blueberry, mocha and cola flavors along with soft supple tannins create a beautiful finish.
- Item #: i_207300Bottle Size: 750mlWINE MAKER - "A lovely wine. A skinny-dip dive through just-right water. Forest-floor earthliness, dark, savory spice and a slight touch of bright red fruit combine with a silky palate that lingers over its poised, age-worthy structure. Then, theres the crisp acidity that keeps the wine lively and intertwines gracefully with the structure. So serious, yet balanced and approachable. This is the Balletto pinot style. The wine has struck a fine balance and will improve during the next three to five years (or more) in bottle."
- Item #: i_202630Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 95If you have ever thought about venturing into Oregon Pinot Noirs, now is your time! And if you are an Oregon Pinot Noir zealot, now is your time! 2015 is going down in the record books as one of the best vintages in the history of the state, with warm weather throughout most of the growing season, and the sun shining bright during harvest. The wines are forward, inviting, complex, and nuanced. Located in the Ribbon Ridge sub-region of the Willamette Valley, Beaux Freres is planted on steep, contiguous southward facing hillsides of Willakenzie soils, comprised of old marine sediment. With a focus on biodynamic farming, the vines are planted at high density and some vines on the property are 30 years old, with several being own rooted!
WINE SPECTATOR 95 POINTS - "Offers impressive presence and polish, with a multilayered, complex core wrapped in rich, expressive blueberry and cherry flavors, accented by savory spice and espresso details. Builds depth as this dances toward refined tannins. Drink now through 2025. 2,700 cases made."
- Item #: i_202660Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 95In 1986, winemaker Michael Etzlel came across a prime piece of property in Oregon's Willamette Valley. Through a partnership with his brother in law, renowned wine critic Robert M. Parker, Jr., and Robert Roy, the dream was realized, and Beaux Freres was born. This trio strives to produce high quality wines from the Pinot Noir grape, following classical Burgundian grape growing practices.
Even though Robert Parker never reviews these wines, other publications have; and the wines have garnered exciting reviews! The wines sell out each year, so if you're into high quality, low production Pinot Noir from one of Oregon's better producers, then don't hesitate!
Winery Notes - Pure, classic Beaux Freres with everything in beautiful poise. Our first tasting revealed an enthralling wine, opening like floodgates toward the sublime – a freshly cedar-oiled grandfather clock, a favorite Musigny, blood-orange dark chocolate candies, or perhaps something unique and lovely from your own memory bank. The texture is refined, the tannins well integrated, and the entire wine deeply intricate and harmonious.
WINE SPECTATOR 95 POINTS - "Remarkably and seamlessly complex, with a polished and refined core wrapped in silky raspberry and blueberry flavors, accented by savory spice and orange zest hints. The long finish builds toward polished tannins. Drink now through 2025. 2,686 cases made."
- Item #: i_202780Bottle Size: 750MLBeaux Freres' Willamette Valley cuvee features fruit grown on select vineyard sites in the Northern Willamette Valley. The wines benefit from the sam winemaking process as their estaet wines. The sites are farmed sustainable and managed to very low yields.