- Item #: i_273561Bottle Size: 750MLDecanter: 91 PointsWine Enthusiast: 91 PointsWINE ENTHUSIAST 91 POINTS - "With mid-summer comes the annual release of J's nonvintage Cuvée 20. This year's bottling is richer than last year's, and offers broad citrus, raspberry, vanilla and yeasty brioche flavors. The wine feels clean, vibrant and smooth. Editors’ Choice
DECANTER 91 POINTS - "Elegantly opens with fresh lemon peel, honeysuckle and autolysis aromas. Followed by a mix of apple and citrus notes with toast, caramel and almond flavours on the mid-palate. Lively acidity of citrus zest leads to a long, warm pear and lush aftertaste. Layers of depth and complexity."
- Item #: i_200170Bottle Size: 750mlGrapes were sourced from vineyards throughout Washington state, including the Horse Heaven Hills, Columbia Valley and the Wahluke Slope. Merlot, Cabernet Franc, Syrah & Petit Verdot were added to create a fruit-forward profile and enhanced mouth feel. The wine was aged for 12 months in a combination of American and French oak barrels to build structure and complexity in the blend. This Cabernet Sauvignon is a rich, juicy red that features aromas of dark cherry, black currants, coffee, and subtle hints of spice. These flavors are complemented by a touch of spicy oak and emphasized by refined tannins.
- Item #: i_200175Bottle Size: 375ml**Please note, this is a half sized bottleA blend of predominately Merlot and Syrah with seven other varietals in smaller quantities, this polished red wine offers aromas of cherry, red currant and tea. Flavors of cherries, ripe berries and plums, supported by a frame of refined tannins, give way to subtle notes of baking spice on a persistent finish.
- Item #: i_251070Bottle Size: 750MLA blend of vineyards from Lake and Napa Counties. We find these diverse, high quality vineyards to compliment one another perfectly. Our high altitude rocky vineyard sites in Lake County deliver angularity, complexity and austerity while our Napa Valley fruit provides deep concentration and focus. This wine is dense and tremendously focused, with a wonderful nose and palate of cedar, blueberry, saddle leather and white pepper. The finish showcases a perfect balance of acid, tannin and sweet toasted oak. Meticulous, detail oriented winemaking and complete attention to detail has produced a wine of tremendous presence and complexity that must be tasted to be believed.
- Item #: i_200000Bottle Size: 750MLAcacia Vineyard is in the heart of the Carneros wine region, with stellar views of vineyards and the bay. This premium winegrowing region enjoys the cooling influence of the Pacific Ocean and summer fog, making it an ideal growing area for Pinot Noir and Chardonnay. Acacia was a pioneer in this appellation when it began in 1979 and continues to craft Burgundian-inspired varietals which have been consistently delicious beyond their price point.
And on the subject of price points, the plan with this program is to put the best and most representative of California's Chardonnay growing regions in a bottle and give it a very refreshing price. So here you have it: Monterey, Santa Maria Valley, Paso Robles, and even a touch of Carneros fruit blended together to make a really lovely sipper (someone forgot to tell the wine it shouldn't taste this good at $9.99). An exotic aroma is followed by a rainbow of stone and tropical fruits, it's bright and crisp, and the finish is long. This is one to procure by the case - people are forever dropping by!
- Item #: i_201110Bottle Size: 750mlThe 2016 A to Z Oregon Pinot Noir highlights the ripeness and concentration of the vintage with an uncommon grace and style. The compelling nose opens with vibrant notes of blackberry, blueberry, black cherry, raspberry, strawberry, red current, plum, thyme, sage and baking spices. The scents are lifted by lingering rose petal and violet aromas, while deeper notes of graphite, leather, and pipe tobacco bring depth.
- Item #: i_200005Bottle Size: 750mlThe 2017 A to Z Oregon Pinot Gris offers beautiful floral aromas reminiscent of jasmine, elderflower and white roses along with complex fruit notes of nectarine, melon, pear, yellow plums and yellow apples, lemon, lime, even grapefruit zest and a touch of guava, clover honey and handmade marshmallows. The wine is lush and layered on the palate structured with moderate acidity and alcohol. The finish is layered and fresh, with a lingering pear and spice note. The structure and complexity of the 2017 A to Z Pinot Gris make this a perennial choice for all food pairings, especially seafood, chicken, spicy cuisine and even street tacos!
- Item #: i_275628Bottle Size: 750mlWINERY NOTES - "The lovely, pale pink A to Z Bubbles invite with juicy, ripe fruit aromas. Notes of strawberry, raspberry, watermelon, cherry, white peach, nectarine and apricot are joined by white flowers and a hint of creaminess. The bubbles dance on the tongue with mouth-watering acidity that leaves one wanting more.
Primarily Pinot Noir with a bit of Chardonnay (10%), the fruit was left in contact with the skins to get the perfect color, a traditional, natural technique preferable to blending back red wine. Several different aromatic and Rosé yeasts were used during fermentation in 100% stainless steel for freshness."
- Item #: i_201470Bottle Size: 750MLJeb Dunnuck: 92 PointsProducers of Petite Sirah need to take note: there's a young gun out there who's going to show you some new moves! Winemaker Aaron Jackson is one amazing guy! He fully commits to whatever the task at hand is. So being the hardcore surfer that he is, you can imagine how dedicated to winemaking Aaron must be when he has to leave those firing Central Coast point breaks to head for the vineyards! His wines have been staples at our store for years, and it's amazing how he can make Petite Sirah taste so good, keep it complex yet easy to drink, and sell such a tasty wine for a reasonable price!
ANTONIO GALLONI'S VINOUS MEDIA 93 POINTS - "(raised for 22 months in large French oak barrels, 55% of them new) Bright purple. Smoke-tinged cherry and blueberry compote aromas show excellent clarity, and a mocha element sneaks in as the wine stretches out. Sweet and pliant in the mouth, offering densely packed yet lively red and blue fruit and floral pastille flavors and a hint of five-spice powder. Shows impressive energy on the broad, chewy finish, which is firmed by building tannins and sharpened by a late jolt of juicy acidity."
JEB DUNNUCK 92 POINTS - "The inky colored 2015 Petite Sirah offers classic sweet black and plum fruits as well as some smoky, barbecue notes in its full-bodied, layered, powerful style. With 12% Syrah in the blend and brought up in 55% new barrels, it stays beautifully balanced and is a joy to drink."
- Item #: i_201430Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 94 PointsTrespasser is a blend of 41% Petite Sirah, 30% Mourvedre, 24% Syrah, and 5% Grenache. Typically, the blend is focused on Aaron's spiciest barrels of Petite Sirah, while the more savory Mourvedre and Syrah components are fermented with about 50% whole clusters. He's been slowly increasing the Mourvedre component over the years because of how well it thrives in Paso Robles, as well as how much he loves its deep, savory contribution to the blend. The aromatics scream of black licorice, dried blueberries, and pepper, the palate flowing effortlessly across the tongue with savory earth, tobacco, dense fruit, and ample tannins.
ANTONIO GALLONI'S VINOUS MEDIA 94 POINTS - "Aside from a few notable exceptions (particularly Ridge), Petite Sirah never seems to get much love, in California, or anywhere else. Aaron Jackson is doing his part to change that at his eponymous winery, which he founded in 2002. The results have been pretty compelling. Jackson's wines, all Petite Sirah-centric or -dominant, must be among the most graceful renditions of the variety that I have ever experienced. With an undergraduate degree in enology from Cal Poly and a masters in enology from the University of Adelaide under his belt, Jackson knows a thing or two about winemaking, and he also brings his talents to a second project, Aequorea, which produces elegant Pinot Gris, Viognier and Pinot Noir from cool, coastal vineyards in San Luis Obispo County, to the south of Paso Robles."
"(aged in large French oak barrels, 20% of them new, for 22 months) Opaque purple. Highly expressive black and blue fruit scents are complemented by white pepper, allspice and floral pastille nuances. Sappy and broad in the mouth, offering deeply concentrated blackberry, cherry cola and spicecake flavors and a touch of candied licorice. Smooth, harmonious tannins build steadily on an impressively long, sweet finish that leaves behind floral and juicy dark berry notes."
JEB DUNNUCK 94 POINTS - "Similarly deep ruby/purple-colored, the 2015 Trespasser (41% Petite Sirah, 30% Mourvedre, 24% Syrah, and the rest Grenache) gives up lots of blueberry, ground herbs, pepper, and smoky, meaty notes in its rich, concentrated, yet beautifully balanced personality. With notable freshness and purity, fine tannins, and a great finish, it's another sensational blend from these limestone hills on the west side of Paso Robles."
- Item #: i_200090Bottle Size: 750mlVibrant aromas of crème brûlée, ginger, lemon curd and white peach are followed by a creamy entry which blossoms to a full, sweet, peach, nectarine and citrus mid-palate. Medium-bodied with vibrant acidity, the wine finishes long and full.
- Item #: i_200130Bottle Size: 750mlThe myriad of dark fruit and floral notes in this Pinot Noir come from the cool, windy Los Carneros American Viticultural Area (AVA) in the southern reaches of Napa Valley. Satsuma plum, blackberry, red rose and violet notes weave through the enticing aromas, mingled with warm nuances of vanilla and toasted oak from barrel aging. Silky, elegant flavors echo the aromas, adding blueberry and plum to the rich fruit complexity. You'll find this wine's lush flavors, bright acidity and fine tannins are perfectly balanced to complement a broad range of foods, from grilled salmon and chicken, to lamb and wild mushrooms.
- Item #: i_200910Bottle Size: 750mlThis wine combines the best attributes of Cabernet Sauvignon, Petit Verdot, and Malbec from the Oakville and Yountville areas of Napa Valley. It possesses a vibrant, pomegranate hued, deep garnet color with a nose that reveals a panoply of aromas: blueberry liquor, dark red fruits, black cherry, with subtle notes of baking spices and cedar. A small percentage of beautifully ripe Malbec and Petite Verdot contribute hints of plum and leather respectively. These abundant fruit characteristics, along with a touch of vanilla, reveal themselves in the mouth with multiple layers of flavor that coat the mouth and continue to a long finish. The tannins are superfine and silky, carrying the fruit along the palate from entry to finish without ever being obtrusive. Both the Malbec and Petite Verdot further enhance the classical texture.
- Item #: i_200920Bottle Size: 750mlSuch an even and extended maturation period allowed for the outstanding flavor development so apparent in this beautifully balanced and structured wine. The aromas of briary wild blackberry and strawberry continue in the mouth with subtle notes of brown sugar and caramel. Inclusion of Rhône varietals in the blend adds refinement and spicy and earthy notes. Completely dry with just over 14% alcohol and great acidity, it is a Zinfandel for the table. Pair with grilled meats, barbeque pork, charcuterie and aged cheddar cheese.
- Item #: i_200100Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94Jeb Dunnuck: 94 PointsWinemaker Chris Phelps grew up in the hills of the Livermore Valley, east of San Francisco, in a family of wine lovers. His early interest in winemaking grew out of his parents' practice of making a barrel or two of Zinfandel or Cabernet for family and friends. Chris attended UC Davis with the sensible plan of becoming a doctor. However, his love of wine and France pulled him into the school's Enology and Viticulture program, an internship at Louis M. Martini in Napa Valley, and the world of professional winemaking.
From there, Chris then embarked on a 16-month sojourn in Bordeaux, where he met Christian Moueix, who persuaded him to stay on to manage the 1982 harvest at Château des Laurets, in the Puisseguin-St. Emilion district of Bordeaux. It was during this trial-by-fire experience that Chris met his mentor, the brilliant Jean-Claude Berrouet, who served for 44 years as the winemaker of Chateau Petrus. To this day, Chris still credits much of his inspiration as a winemaker and his solid understanding of the technical challenges of the winemaking craft to Berrouet's tutelage. Upon returning to Napa Valley, Chris spent twelve years as winemaker at Dominus, as part of the Berrouet-Moueix team. He considers the 1991 and 1994 vintages to be among the greatest wines he has helped to create. He then spent seven years at Caymus Vineyards, managing all red winemaking from 1999 through 2002.
Ad Vivum (Latin for "toward wine") Cabernet Sauvignon is made from one small micro-block of vines at Sleeping Lady Vineyard, in Yountville, Napa Valley. The vines are located at the vineyard's uppermost western perimeter along the Mayacamas Mountains. Row orientation is southwestnortheast. The vineyard is sustainably and meticulously farmed by the Bettinelli family. The soil profile shows Keefers dark gravelly-sandy clay loam of alluvial origin.
ANTONIO GALLONI 96 POINTS - "The 2015 Cabernet Sauvignon is outrageously beautiful. Dark, sumptuous and extravagantly rich, the 2015 possesses off the charts richness and intensity in every dimension. A rush of black cherry, mocha, lavender and violet build in this silky, plush, deeply expressive Cabernet Sauvignon. Today, the 2015 is a total pleasure bomb. While not inexpensive, the 2015 hits all the right spots. It is also arguably the reference-point wine from the Sleeping Lady vineyard. This is the first vintage in which Chris Phelps fermented some of his lots in barrel."
JEB DUNNUCK 94 POINTS - "The 2015 Cabernet Sauvignon comes all from the Sleeping Lady Vineyard just outside of Yountville (next to Dominus) and spent 16 months in 70% new French oak. Its deep, inky purple color is followed by a full-bodied, rich, opulent red that's loaded with notions of creme de cassis, cedar, and lead pencil. With a great mid-palate, its oak completely covered by pure fruit, and a great finish, it's beautiful Cabernet Sauvignon to enjoy over the coming 15-20 years."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS - "Produced from 100% Cabernet Sauvignon coming from the Sleeping Lady Vineyard in Yountville and all Clone 191, the 2015 Cabernet Sauvignon Sleeping Lady Vineyard has a deep garnet-purple color and is redolent of warm cassis, black forest cake and blueberry pie with hints of tar, underbrush and anise. Full-bodied and seductively rich and velvety, it has a lively backbone injecting plenty of freshness and a long, mineral-laced finish. 175 cases were made."
- Item #: i_200180Bottle Size: 750mlIn 2016, Adaptation continued to work with their favorite local growers to craft this wine. The majority of the Cabernet Sauvignon comes from Ink Grade (on the back side of Howell Mountain), which provides the framework and structure to carry this wine. They headed south incorporating vineyards in Pope Valley, Stags Leap District and Oak Knoll that complimented the abundance of tannin, color and structure already in place. This diversity and range within Napa Valley has allowed Adaptation to craft a wine which showcases the unique Napa Valley terroir in an approachable, elegant style.
A blend of 85% Cabernet Sauvignon and 15% Merlot, This approachable 2016 delivers notes of rainier cherries, currants, elderberries, incense, forest floor, and dried herbs with bright acidity, adding freshness and verve to the long persistent finish.
- Item #: i_200240Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 92ANTONIO GALLONI'S VINOUS MEDIA 92 POINTS - "(21% new oak): Pale, brilliant yellow. Displays racy, mineral-accented citrus and orchard fruit scents that show impressive focus and spicy lift. Shows excellent delineation and tension on the palate, offering nervy Meyer lemon, quince and candied ginger flavors that deepen slowly and pick up a hint of smokiness on the back half. Closes dry and impressively long, with repeating minerality and firm, tangy bite."
- Item #: i_200280Bottle Size: 750mlWINE SPECTATOR 91 POINTS - "Polished and elegantly complex, with pretty rose petal, raspberry and spiced tea flavors that glide on the long finish. Drink now through 2024."
Adelsheim Vineyard began back in 1971 with Ginny and David Adelsheim purchasing 19 acres in beautiful Oregon countryside. They shared a dream with a handful of families that Oregon's climate and land could one day produce serious wines. A home was built, vines planted, and in 1978, the first commercial wines were produced. Over four decades, Adelsheim Vineyard grew up with Oregon's wine industry pioneering the way towards the future of wine production.
With its broad array of origins and clones, this wine displays aromas of cocoa, pomegranate and raspberry on the nose and the palate as well as a light touch of nutmeg, cinnamon and allspice. True to Adelsheim's house style, it is elegantly textured with seamlessly integrated, silky, polished tannins. Pair it with salmon, ahi, veal, pork, duck, beef or hearty vegetarian entrees.
- Item #: i_201460Bottle Size: 750mlWhile he has become known for his insanely delicious Petite Sirahs from Paso Robles, winemaker Aaron Jackson has recently expanded his portfolio and added some new flavors! AEQUOREA - which means “of the sea” in Latin - is focused on single vineyard wines from extreme coastal vineyards amidst San Luis Obispo County. In addition to these wines, each year Aaron Jackson also produce the Seafarer Pinot Noir as a special cuvee that brings together the elements from each of his vineyards. The goal is to create a wine that is more about overall texture and depth than individual site expression.
As always, Seafarer is the only vineyard blend Pinot Noir Aaron produces, bringing together fruit from all his coastal sites. The goal is to create a wine that is more about overall texture and depth than individual site expression. Based largely in the Stromsoe vineyard in Cayucos, along with Riven Rock (Cambria), Spanish Springs (Pismo Beach) and Derby West (San Simeon), the 2013 Seafarer is his favorite to date. The aromatics are intense - redolent of dried cranberry, red apple skin, white pepper, and Earl Grey tea. The palate is bright and vibrant, with a core of dark red fruit, uplifted spice, grated chocolate, roasted nuts, dried orange rind, and toasty oak. Only 225 cases produced!