Spain located on the Iberian Peninsula, has over 2.9 million acres planted—making it the most widely planted wine producing nation but it is the third largest producer of wine in the world, the largest being France followed by Italy. This is due, in part, to the very low yields and wide spacing of the old vines planted on the dry, infertile soil found in many Spanish wine regions. The country has an abundance of native grape varieties, with over 400 varieties planted throughout Spain though 80 percent of the country's wine production is from only 20 grapes—including the reds Tempranillo, Garnacha, and Monastrell; the whites Albariño from Galicia, Palomino, Airen, and Macabeo; and the three cava grapes Parellada, Xarel·lo, and Macabeo. Major Spanish wine regions include the Rioja and Ribera del Duero which are known for their Tempranillo production; Valdepeñas, drunk by Unamuno and Hemingway, known for high quality tempranillo at low prices; Jerez, the home of the fortified wine Sherry; Rías Baixas in the northwest region of Galicia that is known for its white wines made from Albariño and Catalonia which includes the Cava and still wine producing regions of the Penedès as well the Priorat region. Spanish wine laws created the Denominación de Origen (DO) system in 1932 and were later revised in 1970. The system shares many similarities with the hierarchical Appellation d'origine contrôlée (AOC) system of France, Portugal's Denominação de Origem Controlada (DOC) and Italy's Denominazione di origine controllata (DOC) system.
- Item #: i_380850Bottle Size: 750MLJames Suckling: 96JAMES SUCKLING 96 POINTS - "Lovely dried red fruit, such as plums with just a hint of prunes. Cedar, walnut and leather undertones. Full-bodied with lots of fruit, considering its age, as well as hints of smoke, tobacco, bark and black tea. Some balsamic at the finish. Traditionally styled with lovely results. Drink or hold."
- Item #: i_380706Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 93This wine has evolved perfectly showing a deep ruby color with shades of orange. Its nose is persistent, full bodied and showing a lot of mature fruit, being dominated by the Tempranillo grape. Its taste is round, smooth, fresh, full of body and persistent. Perfect with roasted and highly flavored meats, lamb and game.
- Item #: i_383629Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93James Suckling: 95JAMES SUCKLING 95 POINTS - "Lots of ripeness with blackberry, fresh-mushroom, bark and moss undertones. Full-bodied with powerful tannins, yet they have a pretty fruit coating and end with complexity and candidness. Old-vine character."
WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "It's interesting to compare the 2016 Lindes de Remelluri Viñedos de San Vicente de la Sonsierra with the wine from the same year but from the external suppliers from Labastida, as the two wines are produced in the same way after a natural fermentation in small vats and oak casks and matured in a combination of barriques of different origins and aged for 13 months. The grapes from San Vicente usually achieve more ripeness, which is the case in this 2016. It's a little less precise and focused than the Labastida, especially on the nose. There is a little more rusticity on the palate, with some dusty tannins. Again, I think it represents the character of the village."
- Item #: i_379992Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 92WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "The 2017 La Montesa is mostly Garnacha with some 8% other red varieties and comes from a warm and dry year that saw a very early harvest, up to 20 days earlier than usual. It fermented in stainless steel and matured in barrique for 12 months. It feels very Mediterranean, with notes of Mediterranean herbs and ripe berries. It's juicy and lush, round and very pleasant, easy to drink. 670,000 bottles produced and will be labeled organic, very remarkable for such volume. It was bottled in May 2019."
- Item #: i_380633Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "The 1994 Gran Reserva Especial (from a great vintage) is medium ruby colored with a lovely bouquet of cherry blossom, earth notes, spice box, leather, black cherry, and plum. On the palate it is multifaceted, elegant, concentrated, impeccably balanced, and holding strong. It should drink nicely for another 10-15 years if not longer."
- Item #: i_376579Bottle Size: 750mlThe 2015 Vina Santurnia Reserva is a traditionally styled Rioja that spent 2 years in American oak. Predominantly Tempranillo with a bit of Graciano and Mazuelo."
Very classic, traditional styling, with a terrific balance between mouthwatering berry fruit and damp forest floor nuances. Traditional Rioja, with its Burgundian characteristics and slightly plumper fruit profile, works wonders with food.