Spain located on the Iberian Peninsula, has over 2.9 million acres planted—making it the most widely planted wine producing nation but it is the third largest producer of wine in the world, the largest being France followed by Italy. This is due, in part, to the very low yields and wide spacing of the old vines planted on the dry, infertile soil found in many Spanish wine regions. The country has an abundance of native grape varieties, with over 400 varieties planted throughout Spain though 80 percent of the country's wine production is from only 20 grapes—including the reds Tempranillo, Garnacha, and Monastrell; the whites Albariño from Galicia, Palomino, Airen, and Macabeo; and the three cava grapes Parellada, Xarel·lo, and Macabeo. Major Spanish wine regions include the Rioja and Ribera del Duero which are known for their Tempranillo production; Valdepeñas, drunk by Unamuno and Hemingway, known for high quality tempranillo at low prices; Jerez, the home of the fortified wine Sherry; Rías Baixas in the northwest region of Galicia that is known for its white wines made from Albariño and Catalonia which includes the Cava and still wine producing regions of the Penedès as well the Priorat region. Spanish wine laws created the Denominación de Origen (DO) system in 1932 and were later revised in 1970. The system shares many similarities with the hierarchical Appellation d'origine contrôlée (AOC) system of France, Portugal's Denominação de Origem Controlada (DOC) and Italy's Denominazione di origine controllata (DOC) system.
- Item #: i_383584Bottle Size: 750mlJames Suckling: 95JAMES SUCKLING 95 POINTS - "Impressive fresh, peppery and spicy aromas with dark berries and graphite. The palate has glossy, ripe tannins and an attractive, long, shimmery finish. Full of interest and detail. Saturated with flavor. Drink or hold."
- Item #: i_383634Bottle Size: 750mlJames Suckling: 97JAMES SUCKLING 97 POINTS - "Fabulous aromas of black tea, soya, cinnamon, and dark fruits. Very floral. Full body, very deep and beautiful. Superb depth of fruit. The tannins are total melted in the wine. Wonderful finish."
- Item #: i_380784Bottle Size: 750MLWinemaker Peter Sisseck has already been pushing the limits of top-end Ribera del Duero but has also, for some time, dreamt of capturing the soul of Ribera through a new project named after the twenty-third letter of the Greek alphabet. In 2006, he began working with a select group of growers willing to convert their old vines vineyards into organically- and ultimately biodynamically farmed sites with the goal of unleashing the potential of Ribera by creating the purest expression possible.
- Item #: i_382512Bottle Size: 750mlJames Suckling: 92Located in the heart of Rioja Alavesa, Izadi produces wines that express the character of Tempranillo. The word Izadi means Nature. The vineyards are located deep in the heart of Rioja Alavesa in a triangle formed by three villages, Villabuena, Ábalos and Samaniego. The grapes for this wine are sourced from vineyards with an average age of 45 years ensuring low yields and intense flavors. Aging is completed in a combination of both French and American barrels.
JAMES SUCKLING 92 POINTS - "A generous plum, chocolate and earthy nose with subtle oak. Dry tannins are well integrated. An impressive modern wine."
- Item #: i_380785Bottle Size: 750MLJames Suckling: 92100% TEMPRANILLO
JAMES SUCKLING 92 POINTS - "Dried red cherries, paprika, coconut, dried strawberries and earth. Medium body, steely and subtle tannins and a red plum-soaked, medium-chewy finish. Drink in 2021."
WINEMAKER NOTES - "High aromatic intensity with dominating ripe fruit: raspberries, red cherries, wild strawberries and red currants set out against a balsamic background of vanilla, toasted caramel, biscuits, coffee and sweet mints. In the mouth, you can enjoy good acidity, great freshness and balance and mild, friendly tannins. Aromatic harmony persists through the aftertaste, with notes of red fruit jam, prunes, coffee, vanilla and caramel. Viña Alberdi is characterised by a notable food-pairing versatility. It is an ideal companion to appetisers, snacks and barbecues, perfect with rice, pastas and stews, and great with lightly-grilled meat and fish."
Aged for two years in American oak barrels manufactured inhouse; the first year in new oak.
- Item #: i_378458Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 90WINE SPECTATOR 90 POINTS - "This red is dense and polished. Muted flavors of plum, fig pudding, loamy earth and toast mingle over solid tannins and balsamic acidity. Reserved but balanced and harmonious. Drink now through 2028."