New Zealand wine is largely produced in ten major wine growing regions spanning latitudes 36° to 45° South and extending 990 mi. The regions are from north to south; Northland, Auckland, Waikato/Bay of Plenty, Gisborne, Hawke's Bay, Wellington, Nelson, Marlborough, Canterbury/Waipara and Central Otago. New Zealand red wines are typically made from a blend of varietals (Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, and much less often Cabernet Franc, Petit Verdot and Malbec), or Pinot Noir. Recently, in Hawkes Bay, there have been wines made from Syrah, either solely or blends, as well as Tempranillo, Montepulciano and Sangiovese. In white wines Chardonnay and Sauvignon Blanc predominate in plantings and production. Individual wine makers and the particular qualities of a vintage are more likely to determine factors such as malolactic fermentation or the use of oak for aging.
- Item #: i_382597Bottle Size: 750mlBOB CAMPBELL 95 POINTS - "Bright, fresh and concentrated sauvignon blanc with punchy regional and varietal flavours including capsicum, nettle, gooseberry, melon and subtle passionfruit. A deliciously accessible wine that delivers everything I expect from Marlborough Sauvignon … and more."
- Item #: i_382515Bottle Size: 750mlPRACTICING ORGANIC
Cashburn is Burn Cottage's second label made from barrels that didn't go into the Burn Cottage bottling and is further proof of Central Otago Pinot Noir's status as a worthy contender on the world stage. A prime vineyard site, perfect Pinot climate, and a masterful hand at the helm all add up to gorgeous terroir and varietal expression. If Cashburn came from Sonoma or Chambolle-Musigny, you'd surely be shelling out twice this price to acquire this wine.
WINEMAKER NOTES - "Exotic notes of orange zest and cherry liqueur leap from the glass. On the palate the wine is wonderfully understated and elegant with soft, supple tannin. Bright acidity lends balance and freshness to the long finish."
- Item #: i_377372Bottle Size: 750MLPinot Noir is the single red varietal of Cloudy Bay and is ideally suited to the climate and soils of this remote southern wine region. An intensely varietal palate reveals layers of dark red fruits, savoury dried herbs, charry oak and silky tannins.
- Item #: i_377156Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 93The Marlborough region is blessed with a unique terroir... a cool, South Pacific climate that produces wines of great fruit intensity. Cloudy Bay Sauvignon Blanc is a benchmark wine that epitomizes the vibrant aromatics and pure fruit flavours naturally afforded by the climate and soils of this remote southern wine region.
WINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS - "Wine Spectator Vibrant and expressive, with bold Key lime, passion fruit and tangerine flavors that are succulent and show off details of litsea, lemon verbena and makrut lime leaf, accented by a vibrant thread of acidity."
- Item #: i_377205Bottle Size: 750MLWine Enthusiast: 91 PointsWINE ENTHUSIAST 91 POINTS - "This vintage of Pinot, grown at the bottom of the North Island, is a sassy spicy little number. It bursts forth cinnamon, clove and tree-bark aromas accompanied by ripe cranberry and red-currant fruit along with a whiff of violets. It's medium weighted, lacing crunchy fruit with the sinewy savory tannins typical to Martinborough. A little oak bitterness creeps in on the finish but overall, the fruit wins out."
- Item #: i_381223Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 91WINE ADVOCATE 91 POINTS - "The 2018 Sauvignon Blanc is on the tropical end of the spectrum, with hints of guava, pineapple and nectarine—a real fruit bowl. It's medium-bodied and silky in texture, with a long, flavorful finish."
JANCIS ROBINSON 17/20 POINTS - "Very racy, alluring, complex nose with some reductive struck-match character. Rather splits the difference between Marlborough and Sancerre. Creamy undertow with exciting top notes. Extraordinary tension on the palate. Dry but not drying finish. Long. Very accomplished and intense. "
There’s a consummately crafted dimension to this wine that propels it above the vast sea of sauvignon, a wine of genuine character and interest. A one-fifth portion of wild ferment and lees ageing instils a mineral mouth feel and complexing nuances of struck flint. Carefully regulated yields have produced an impeccably gauged fruit profile that tactically dodges the extremes of underripe herbaceousness and overripe passionfruit, falling neatly into the middle ground of grapefruit, lemon zest, guava and golden delicious apple. A focused acid line and outstanding, lingering, textural persistence make not only for immediate appeal but promise medium-term potential.
- Item #: i_379159Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 95James Suckling: 96Wine Enthusiast: 95 PointsJAMES SUCKLING 96 POINTS - "Very attractive perfume, spice and earthy depth here, as well as vibrant, red-cherry and berry aromas. There’s very attractive tautness to this pinot with crisp tannins that define ripe red cherries and red plums in assertive and succulent style. The refined power is striking."
WINE SPECTATOR 95 POINTS - "Fragrant and robust, this red combines power and finesse, with an overwhelming amount of detail. Flavors of black pepper, mahogany, hops, sandalwood, blackberry and plum are joined by accents of Earl Grey tea, cedar and baking spices. The tannins have plenty of muscle, but there's an amazing sense of harmony and polish on the long, intricate finish. "
WINE ENTHUSIAST 95 POINTS - "From 30-year-old vines in deep alluvial gravels, this is a spicy and pristine wine that's approachable now but is also very cellar worthy. A heady perfume of blueberries, pomegranates, tobacco leaves, scrubby Mediterranean herbs, florals and crushed stones kicks it all off. Then the palate takes it all to another level, bursting with crunchy, juicy fruit, crystalline-like minerality and savory spices, all threaded together with structured ultrafine tannins. "
- Item #: i_379954Bottle Size: 750MLJames Suckling: 98Wine Enthusiast: 95 PointsJAMES SUCKLING 98 POINTS - "This pinot has an x-factor that sets it apart. There’s an almost peppery edge to the violet, blueberry and red-cherry nose with sappy and earthy elements, as well as roasted game and fragrant baking spices. The palate has a very plush, attractive and fresh array of vibrant and detailed pinot fruit on offer. Long and precise."
WINE ENTHUSIAST 95 POINTS - "Winemaker Larry McKenna's Pinots all possess a signature style, while also being incredibly terroir-expressive. The Kupe is a gorgeous example of this, rippling with waves of raspberry, strawberry and black-cherry fruit, white-pepper spice, crushed rose petals and warm tarmac. The palate is poised and balanced with slinky red fruit, streaks of minerality and fine, granular, powerful tannins. Some French oak shows but should integrate with time. "
Fermented in wooden French cuvees, hand plunged and aged in 50% new French oak barriques for 18 months. It was bottled without fining or filtration, promoting soft mouth feel and texture. The wine was given every priority during its elevation and now shows all the hallmarks of a grand young wine on release in 2016. It is at the vanguard of Pinot noir style in the New World and should age gracefully for up to 10 years. The wine is a true reflection of both Martinborough’s unique terroir and the skills and experience of winemakers Larry McKenna and Huw Kinch.
- Item #: i_380558Bottle Size: 750mlWinemaker Notes - Crushed sea shells and delicate citrus blossom lead the focussed and detailed nose. The palate follows with a salinity and minerality that is subtle, complex and intriguing. Devoid of any overt wine-making characters, the wine offers a transparency that allows its unique vineyard origin of schist gravel soils to really shine and take centre stage. Refined and poised with serious precision.
- Item #: i_383699Bottle Size: 750mlJames Suckling: 93JAMES SUCKLING 93 POINTS - "Such attractive, mouthwatering aromas of spicy and brambly red cherries. This is in very seductive form in 2018 with supple, smooth and gently creamy, red-cherry and raspberry flavors, delivered in a silky, elegant and smooth mode. Fresh, lithe finish. Drink now. Screw cap."
- Item #: i_379498Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92James Suckling: 93JAMES SUCKLING 93 POINTS - "Aromas of fresh red cherries and some rose-like florals, in an upbeat, fruit-driven style. A very concentrated and ripe array of brambly raspberries and red cherries with smooth tannins, delivering a web of fresh-fruit flavor. Succulent and spicy, oak-tinged finish. Drink or hold. Screw cap."
- Item #: i_381863Bottle Size: 750mlWINERY NOTES - "Imagine yellow-fleshed peaches, rock melon and blackcurrant – a sponge cake with lemon icing, chamomile and hints of rose petal – this is a delicately perfumed and deliciously ripe-fruited interpretation of Marlborough sauvignon blanc. The palate is both subtle and textural, showing considerable ripeness and concentration, with a crisp and long, juicy finish."
We are huge fans of New Zealand wines so it's natural that we would follow Kevin Judd and what he's doing... Kevin's career is intrinsically linked with the global path of Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc. He was born in England, grew up in Australia and moved to New Zealand in 1983; soon after he became the founding winemaker at Cloudy Bay and remained there for their first 25 vintages. In 2009, Kevin unveiled his personal venture, Greywacke (pronounced "grey-wacky"), named after New Zealand's prolific bedrock, and fulfilling a long-held dream of his and his wife Kimberley. Once we tasted his wines we were instantly smitten-- these are wines of character, showcasing the terroir they come from, the high quality of New Zealand grapes and the knowledge and talent of the winemaker behind it all. And the critics agree:
"Some of New Zealand's most exciting emerging stars include Greywacke... Kevin Judd takes Marlborough Sauvignon to new heights." - Lisa Perotti-Brown, eRobert Parker.com
- Item #: i_383931Bottle Size: 750mlWinemaker's Notes: "This wine is an extension of the Nattura Sauvignon Blanc process. The wine is destemmed and fermented on skins for a month. The skins are not worked hard, they are included in order to gain all the aromatics possible from the fruit, and to promote a fine thread of phenolics to keep a tension and length in the final wine. Bottled straight after malolactic with no Sulphur addition, this wine is almost in the rawest form possible. It is cloudy and this adds to the overall textural experience." *natural wine*
- Item #: i_383014Bottle Size: 750mlJames Suckling: 91JULES TAYLOR'S NOTES - "Aromas offer an abundance of ripe pineapple and stonefruits layered with with creamy, buttery notes like baked shortcake, hints of toasted almonds and a light touch of jasmine flower.
Stunningly smooth and plump palate with flavours of stonefruits, which infuse with the mealy characters developed from the malo ferment and lees aeging. A great complexity and a richness to the wine and finished with a refreshing touch of citrus."
JAMES SUCKLING 91 POINTS - "Quite bright, taut and smoothly textured with subtly stony nuances threaded through melon and white peaches."
- Item #: i_383512Bottle Size: 750mlWine Enthusiast: 92 PointsWINE ENTHUSIAST 92 POINTS - "There's a little reduction at first, but the flinty, salty nuances actually add character to the already appealing lemon, stone fruit, red apple skin, grass and green bean notes. The palate balances a creamy texture with crunchy acidity and a salty, citrusy finish."
Winemaker Notes - "Attractive aromas of pineapple and guava, combined with citrus and lemongrass overlay delicate nut and spice notes. Revealing the softer side of its Sauvignon Blanc heritage on the palate, this wine offers a delicious combination of mandarin and guava, beautifully laced with notes of brazil nut and honey from the wild ferment. The wine finishes with lingering lemon notes."
- Item #: i_380390Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 91WINE ADVOCATE 91 POINTS - "Blending fruit from several subregions has given the 2019 Sauvignon Blanc a lovely balance of herbal and fruity characters, with notes ranging from jalapeño and grassiness to stone fruit, passion fruit and citrus. It's medium to full-bodied, with excellent concentration and some real length, a rare treat to find in a classic Marlborough bottling these days."
- Item #: i_377144Bottle Size: 750mlWinemaker's Notes - "Light straw with yellow and green hues. Aromas of citrus and tropical fruits backed by characteristic herbaceous notes for which Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc is renowned. An exuberant wine brimming with juicy acidity and fruit sweetness, providing a balanced flavour profile. The finish is fresh, zesty, and lingering."
- Item #: i_381755Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 93WINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS - "This displays an impressive presence, smooth and succulent, with vibrant cherry, raspberry and apricot notes and touches of white pepper, anise seed and toasted cumin. The texture is smooth, with firm tannins that add an appealing traction on the finish."
- Item #: i_383090Bottle Size: 750mlWINE SPECTATOR 90 POINTS - "Peach, pear and citrus flavors are plump and juicy, with a thread of floral details and whiffs of lemongrass and dried mango on the finish. Drink now."
Loveblock is the project of Kim Crawford who helped transform the New Zealand wine industry and make Sauvignon Blanc a household name around the world. Kim Crawford's Sauvignon Blanc continues to be a huge hit with our customers. For his new Loveblock wine,Kim Crawford purschased land and planted vineyards on the hilltops overlooking Marlborough's Awatere Valley. His aim is to create the best wine to express this extraordinary place. New Zealand's signature varietal tends to be bold and big with pugent aromatics. The Loveblock wine focuses more on texture and finesse, while retaining nice acidy. It has beautiful aromatics of white peach, melon and subtle herbaceous notes. On the palate, the mouth feel is generous with nice lift, refinement and minerality. Hints of stone fruit and citrus linger on the long finish. This wine is complex and subtle. Think of it as Kim Crawford dressed up for a night out on the town."
- Item #: i_381001Bottle Size: 750mlDelightfully ripe aromas of gooseberry and white peach are laced with refreshing notes of kaffir lime. The fleshy mid palate is tamed by an underlying minerally acid backbone that culminates in a bright, zesty finish.
A delicious match with most seafood, salads and sheep / goat’s cheese; try the The Ned Sauvignon Blanc with a little snack of crunchy, green pear slices topped with goats cheese, dried cranberries (craisins) and pistachio nuts.
- Item #: i_377930Bottle Size: 750MLSoft in color with green hues, this Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc shows tropical and citrus fruits along with attractive herbaceous/varietal characters on the nose. The palate is generous and fruit driven with classical Marlborough acidity giving a fresh, clean palate and passionfruit finish.
- Item #: i_383457Bottle Size: 750mlProducer notes: "This highly enjoyable Sauvignon Blanc is filled with nectarine, grapefruit and rockmelon characters with an elegant lime zest lift. The palate is generous and flavoursome with excellent fruit intensity, beautifully structured by juicy acidity. It is long and attractive on the finish. Alcohol 12.0%."
- Item #: i_348320Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 90Wine Enthusiast: 91 PointsNautilus Sauvignon Blanc displays intense aromas of ripe passionfruit, elderflower, limes and fresh herbs. The palate introduces a delightful lime/citrus based mouth-watering intensity and finishes with a strong textural component. Delicious upon release, this wine will improve for 3-5 years post vintage.
WINE ENTHUSIAST 91 POINTS - "This wine is a touch salty & flinty to start, which adds character to the notes of lemonline, gooseberry, pineapple rind, honeysuckle & green herbs wafting from the glass. A creamy yet chalky texture is woven with juicy fruit & prickly acidity, ending long & citrusy. Spicy Mexican or Thai cuisine has met its match.Editors' Choice."
WINE SPECTATOR 90 POINTS - " Lemon curd, Key lime and pear flavors are aromatic and intense, set on a smooth and juicy frame, with pretty details of lemongrass, candied ginger and nectarine. Lingering finish."