The Australian wine industry is the world's fourth largest exporter of wine with approximately 750 million litres a year to the international export market with only about 40% of production consumed domestically. Wine is produced in every state, with more than 60 designated wine regions totaling approximately 160,000 hectares; however Australia's wine regions are mainly in the southern, cooler parts of the country, with vineyards located in South Australia, New South Wales, Victoria, Western Australia, Tasmania and Queensland. The wine regions in each of these states produce different wine varieties and styles that take advantage of the particular terroir such as: climatic differences, topography and soil types. With the major varieties being predominantly Shiraz, Cabernet Sauvignon, Chardonnay, Merlot, Semillon, Pinot noir, Riesling, and Sauvignon Blanc. Wines are often labeled with the name of their grape variety, which must constitute at least 85 percent of the wine.
- Item #: i_377644Bottle Size: 750mlThe color is vibrant red and maroon hues extend from the core of the glass. The nose is sweet vanilla and chocolate aromas are supported by fresh and juicy red berry fruits. The palate is full of flavor, luscious and rich fruit is balanced by layers of vanilla oak. Finishing round and soft with an appeal that consumers find very hard to resist and keep you coming back.
- Item #: i_383511Bottle Size: 750mlWine Enthusiast: 92 PointsWINE ENTHUSIAST 92 POINTS - "Made in small quantities from winemaker Ben Haines, this blend is fermented with native yeasts and aged for 10 months on the lees. The aromas are heady in tones of lemon curd, honey, toasted nuts and spice. But it's the palate that steals show. Tingly acidity perfectly balances an oily texture and lingering, spicy flavors. Lovers of textural whites will be all over this."
- Item #: i_383605Bottle Size: 750mlBen Haines is a boutique winemaker in Victoria’s Yarra Valley. Having trained in viticulture, he pays close attention to what’s happening in each vineyard throughout the growing season. His wines are intensely textural with flavors continuing to develop sip after sip. Fruit is expressive, structure is present without being constraining. Practicing organic
- Item #: i_378621Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 92ANTONIO GALLONI; VINOUS 92 POINTS - "(raised for a year in large French oak barrels, 27% of them new): Bright violet color. Powerful smoke- and spice-accented aromas of fresh blueberry, cherry-vanilla and cured tobacco, with a floral nuance building with air. Juicy and expansive on the palate, offering sappy dark berry preserve flavors with suggestions of candied flowers, licorice and mocha. Supple, slowbuilding tannins provide grip to the impressively long finish, which leaves boysenberry and smoky mineral notes behind.
Winemakers Notes: Lovely red berry and darker fruit aromas, notably blackcurrant, plum and lifted violets with a touch of black olives. These characters continue onto the palate supported by layers of nutmeg, cinnamon and spice oak flavours, with a hint of vanilla. Balanced, finely structured and perfumed, this wine shows considerable length and structure & will benefit from cellaring for 10 to 20 years. Bottled without filtration, decanting 2 hour’s prior to consumption is recommended.
- Item #: i_381616Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 90WINE SPECTATOR 90 POINTS - "Crisp and bright, offering a mix of bright cherry, mineral and white pepper notes that add an air of delicacy and precision. The tannins are firm and in the background. Drink now through 2026."
The Cirillo family are custodians of what it is believed to be the oldest continuously producing Grenache and Semillon vineyards in the world. Planted in 1848, these vines are not only a part of the Barossa history, but Australia’s winemaking heritage. That is a long time ago! To put it into perspective, the California Gold Rush began the same year when the precious metal was discovered at Sutter’s Mill. The Cirillo’s winemaking heritage spans back over 9 generations to the Southern Italian province of Calabria.
The vineyard sits on what was an old inland lake over 100 Million years ago. The soil is deep silt sand over limestone and clay. This combination of free-draining topsoil and water-holding subsoil has sustained the 7 acres of grenache. The gnarled and wizened basket pruned bush Grenache vines stand up to 6 feet high and nearly 6 feet wide. For these vines to survive at this age, they need constant attention through-out the year. Owner and Winemaker Marco Cirillo spends every spare moment training, pruning and nurturing each vine through its fragile life. The result is fruit with incredible intensity and old vine richness not often seen.
During primary fermentation the wine is hand tended 2 to 4 times per day. Once the ferment is complete it is carefully transferred into an 800kg basket press which will then allow intimate control of the tannin, fruit and overall structure of the wine. It is then stored in seasoned 60% French and 40% American oak hogsheads for up to 24 months.
Most of the grapes from these ancient vines are sold to the great Australian producer, Torbreck, leaving only a small portion for Cirillo to use in these wines. These wines produced from gnarled and wizened trunks are something to be treasured and enjoyed.
- Item #: i_378190Bottle Size: 750MLJames Suckling: 94JAMES SUCKLING 94 POINTS - "Impressive richness and depth from the outset here. The nose has rich dark-plum, chocolate and earth aromas with such poise and richness. The palate is full-bodied with saturated plums and blackberries. Long, ribbony tannins."
WINERY NOTES - "Small batches of grapes are gently crushed and then transferred to five tonne headed down open fermenters. These batches remain separate until final blending. Foot treading is undertaken two thirds of the way through fermentation. The wine is then basket pressed and transferred to a mixture of new and used French and old American oak barriques to complete fermentation. The barrel ferments are aged on lees, there is no racking until final blending and no fining or filtration.
Dead Arm is a vine disease caused by the fungus Eutypa Lata that randomly affects vineyards all over the world. Often affected vines are severely pruned or replanted. One half, or an 'arm' of the vine slowly becomes reduced to dead wood. That side may be lifeless and brittle, but the grapes on the other side, while low yielding, display amazing intensity. "
- Item #: i_302554Bottle Size: 750MLJames Suckling: 92JAMES SUCKLING 92 POINTS -"A cherry-flavored nose that also offers up aromas of blackberry pie, cedar and spices. Medium to full body, grainy tannins, lots of fresh blue and black fruit and a chewy finish. Drink in 2021."
- Item #: i_381078Bottle Size: 750mlAUSTRALIAN WINE REVIEW - "Purple edged maroon red; the nose laden with squishy, soft and quite delicious purple berries in an unforced, ripe but blackberry fruited round and gentle style, a slick of vanilla bean oak and just a little warmth – but no heaviness on the finish. This is just a lovely bowl full of red and black berries without going into sweetness excesses, just long and silky smooth and satisfying. Delicious, long and delightfully affable, if not quite the concentration of the single vineyard wines. Still delicious though. Great value for money too. Best drinking: 2015-2030. 18/20, 93/100."
- Item #: i_379971Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 96Elderton's Command Shiraz is an iconic wine made from grapes sourced from 120 year old vines. Named because of the special treatment the quality fruit 'commanded', this is a Shiraz of excellent concentration. The fruit for this wine comes from the Elderton vineyard located on the banks of the Para River and is matured in a mixture of French and American oak. This allows the wine to retain its driven power while also giving the wine a level of complexity and balance. Elderton's Command can be enjoyed by lovers of ripe and rich fruit early, yet will reward the truly patient with a wine of true beauty when left alone to mature for a decade.
WINE ADVOCATE 96 POINTS - "From vines planted in 1894, the 2014 Command Single Vineyard Shiraz aged in a combination of French and American oak (80% new). Aromas of smoky campfire and vanilla lead the way, followed by expressive raspberry fruit. It's full-bodied and lush across the palate, creamy in texture, impressive in its concentration and balanced by a crisp, fruit-driven finish. Quintessential Barossa Shiraz."
- Item #: i_383664Bottle Size: 750mlJAMES HALLIDAY 97 POINTS - "Very good color; the intensity of the aromas and flavors unfolding with the first sip stop you in your tracks. The whole bunch component is evident, but not dominant, simply one of many factors in shaping the flavor and texture of this lovely wine."
An intricate blend of delicious parcels. Powerful, lifted aromas of cherries, blue and red fruits are complemented by underlying savory, gamey characters. Forest floor flavorscarry onto the medium bodied palate which is lush, elegant and broad. Supple yet present tannins will support cellaring for at least ten years.
2017 really was a sensational vintage! Good intermittent rainfall with cool to mild temperatures, and not a day over 40 degrees during the summer months marked 2017 out as a classic cool climate vintage. All varieties came in later than average, ripening at an unhurried pace in these ideal growing conditions, producing wines of incredible structure, detail and length.
- Item #: i_380026Bottle Size: 750mlThis wine is a powerful example of Cabernet Sauvignon, the regional hero in Coonawarra. It has complex aromas of blackcurrant and oak and a rich, full-bodied palate with fine lingering tannin. A wine for celebrating, now or any time over the next 10 years.
Coonawarra experienced a good vintage in 2013, with fine weather continuing throughout autumn and providing excellent conditions for slow ripening and a relatively leisurely harvest. With fruit from several vineyards, this is a truly regional wine reflecting the essence of Coonawarra Cabernet Sauvignon. It benefits from the added concentration and complexity of fruit from mature vines aged between 20 and 50 years. The fruit was picked in mid-late April and then fermented in overhead fermenters. The wine was matured in French and American hogsheads for 15 months.
- Item #: i_380015Bottle Size: 750mlA mouth-watering combination of juicy fruits, passionfruit, bright acidity and herbal lift. Pure Marlborough.
- Item #: i_380016Bottle Size: 750mlWINE SPECTATOR 92 POINTS - "This subdued white shows plenty of elegance and grace. Spice and toasty notes linger in the background, and pear and melon flavors have a succulent texture, with a thread of acidity that weaves in and out. Drink now through 2022. 2,500 cases made."
WINE MAKER NOTES - Our fruit was harvested by hand at the end of February then whole-bunch pressed and settled in tank before racking to tank and barrel for fermentation. The wine underwent a partial malolactic fermentation and was aged for 10 months – part in steel tank to retain fresh fruit flavours, part in barrel for added complexity. We used a mix of old and new French oak.
With fruit from select vineyards, this is a true regional Yarra Valley Chardonnay. It has fresh citrus and stone fruit aromas with bright fruit on the palate, creamy texture and a clean finish.
- Item #: i_373812Bottle Size: 750MLThe Australians are known for making great stickies (dessert wines) and the Hardys Tawny certain ranks among our best value dessert wines. Considering the modest price, this outstanding tawny most certainly over delivers. A best seller!
International Wine Cellar - "Pinkish amber. Spicy redcurrant and toffee aromas are complicated by orange peel, molasses and fresh rose. A delicate and nicely focused tawny with toffeed apple and pear flavors and an exotic blood orange quality emerging on the back. This rather understated port shows good finishing lift and a lingering salted caramel character."
- Item #: i_301684Bottle Size: 750mlWINERY NOTES - "Deep crimson with ruby hues. Attractive aromas of spiced plum, red currant and blue and black berry fruits are met with floral nuances of violets and black pepper spice. The round, supple palate is filled with juicy blue and red fruits, spiced plum, liquorice and notes of crushed tarragon, with beautifully textured svelte tannins and a long, peppery finish."
Blend: 66% Shiraz, 15% Grenache, 10% Mataro, 9% Viognier
- Item #: i_382170Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93Wine Spectator: 94James Suckling: 94JAMES SUCKLING 94 POINTS - "A wine that really shows the prowess and attractive nature of the shiraz that this vineyard can produce. The concentrated yet fresh red plums and cherries really sing on the palate. Tannins glide like layers of silk. A brilliant wine. Drink or hold. Screw cap."
WINE SPECTATOR 94 POINTS - "There’s a lovely sense of restraint here, with firm tannins reining in complex, detailed flavors of blueberry pie, kirsch and dark chocolate. Espresso, clove and caramel notes add even more complexity on the finish, where the flavors continue to unfold. Drink now through 2034."
WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "Overtones of vanilla and cedar mark the nose of the 2016 Brooks Road Shiraz, which aged in 20%-30% new French oak. Herbal notes and hints of green peppercorns add nuance to the ripe cherry flavors of this full-bodied red. The tannins are supple, making this wine approachable now, but they also linger softly on the finish, suggesting up to a decade of additional ageability."
- Item #: i_382151Bottle Size: 750mlThis is the most homogenised, smoothly-assimilated Cabernet in recent years from Hickinbotham, reminiscent of those made by Stephen Hickinbotham in the early ‘eighties. While its aromas of bergamot and blueberry have yet to lock in and settle, the palate’s already there: fine, fresh and strapping.
- Item #: i_382445Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 91AUSTRALIAN WINE COMPANION 94 POINTS - "Firm with tannin and alive with promise. It's not the brightest spark but deep pools of blackberried fruit and swirls of firm coffeed tannin make it a monty for sound future development."
WINE ADVOCATE 91 POINTS - "Deep garnet purple in color, the 2013 The McRae Wood Shiraz has a profound nose with black plums, berries and cherries, alongside spice box, violets, cedar and toast. Full, rich and chewy, though with slightly astringent tannins, the oak is poking out a bit and this wine needs some time. Rating: 91+"
- Item #: i_377346Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 97WINE ADVOCATE 97 POINTS - "Deep garnet-purple colored, the 2013 Shiraz Old Bastard has a slowly emerging, complex nose of incense, cloves, star anise, tar, underbrush and earth with a blackberry and blackcurrant core plus a touch of wild thyme. The big, full, opulently fruited palate delivers tons of flavor layers and wonderful structure with firm, rounded tannins and a racy acid line supporting the generous fruit through the very long finish."
JAMES HALLIDAY 95 POINTS - "100% shiraz from the Nuriootpa vineyard planted in 1893; hand-picked, matured in French oak (35% new). To say it is full-bodied is a masterly understatement: it is huge in every way. But there is balance, and the display of multi-berry fruits is not obscured by tannins or oak even though they are omnipresent."
- Item #: i_378405Bottle Size: 750mlGarnet red in color, this wine offers aromas of blueberries and blackcurrant, with hints of fresh violet. On the palate, it shows savory notes and pepper spice, as well as fresh rhubarb and fleshy fruit. Fine tannins and balanced acidity with length on the palate.
Blend: 84% Grenache, 16% Shiraz
- Item #: i_383471Bottle Size: 750mlThe Stonehorse wines are full of character like the teams of Clydesdale horses that used to work the heavy clay soil at the Kaesler vineyard, long before tractors were invented. This wine, made from our Shiraz vines planted in 1985, reflect this heritage.
Inky bright crimson with a dark centre and a youthful edge.
Vibrant fruits of the forest and hints of cassis & spice.
Supple, elegant mouth feel. Dark fruits such as blackberry and blueberry with lighter red fruits such as red currant. Some spicy notes and oak mingle on the palate.
- Item #: i_377616Bottle Size: 750mlLifted blackcurrants and blueberry aroma entwine with Cedary French oak, minty hints and savoury notes. On the palate bright, juicy, blue and red fruits flow onto the palate which is mediumto full bodied. Briary spice adds to the complexity and the sweet fruit is well balanced with fine, silky tannins which lengthen the fruitful and velvety finish.
- Item #: i_377499Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 90WINE ADVOCATE 90 POINTS - "Composed of 96% Shiraz and 4% Viognier, the 2015 Shiraz / Viognier Hangin' Snakes displays a deep garnet-purple color and a nose of fresh black currants and black cherries with hints of violets, Provence herbs, cloves and cinnamon stick. The black fruit and spices fill the medium-bodied palate, supported by soft, approachable tannins and just enough freshness, finishing long and perfumed."
ANTONIO GALLONI; VINOUS 90 POINTS - "Vivid purple. Spice-tinged blue fruits and violet on the fragrant nose. Sweet and seamless in texture, offering juicy boysenberry and cherry flavors that tighten up slowly on the back half. Lingers with very good tenacity and just a hint of dusty tannins that add final grip."
The history of Langmeil's Lindner family paints a rich portrait of farming, food, community and wine which can be traced back six generations to the central European region known as Silesia. The Freedom 1843 Shiraz is believed to be the oldest surviving shiraz vineyard in the world. Called Langmeil, the name of the trading village established in 1842, by the Lindner family whose own mark on the Barossa spans six-generations. Langmeil is renowned for its preservation of old vines and the making of distinguished wines from these cherished sites.