The Australian wine industry is the world's fourth largest exporter of wine with approximately 750 million litres a year to the international export market with only about 40% of production consumed domestically. Wine is produced in every state, with more than 60 designated wine regions totaling approximately 160,000 hectares; however Australia's wine regions are mainly in the southern, cooler parts of the country, with vineyards located in South Australia, New South Wales, Victoria, Western Australia, Tasmania and Queensland. The wine regions in each of these states produce different wine varieties and styles that take advantage of the particular terroir such as: climatic differences, topography and soil types. With the major varieties being predominantly Shiraz, Cabernet Sauvignon, Chardonnay, Merlot, Semillon, Pinot noir, Riesling, and Sauvignon Blanc. Wines are often labeled with the name of their grape variety, which must constitute at least 85 percent of the wine.
- Item #: 377644Bottle Size: 750mlThe color is vibrant red and maroon hues extend from the core of the glass. The nose is sweet vanilla and chocolate aromas are supported by fresh and juicy red berry fruits. The palate is full of flavor, luscious and rich fruit is balanced by layers of vanilla oak. Finishing round and soft with an appeal that consumers find very hard to resist and keep you coming back.
- Item #: 378621Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 92ANTONIO GALLONI; VINOUS 92 POINTS - "(raised for a year in large French oak barrels, 27% of them new): Bright violet color. Powerful smoke- and spice-accented aromas of fresh blueberry, cherry-vanilla and cured tobacco, with a floral nuance building with air. Juicy and expansive on the palate, offering sappy dark berry preserve flavors with suggestions of candied flowers, licorice and mocha. Supple, slowbuilding tannins provide grip to the impressively long finish, which leaves boysenberry and smoky mineral notes behind.
Winemakers Notes: Lovely red berry and darker fruit aromas, notably blackcurrant, plum and lifted violets with a touch of black olives. These characters continue onto the palate supported by layers of nutmeg, cinnamon and spice oak flavours, with a hint of vanilla. Balanced, finely structured and perfumed, this wine shows considerable length and structure & will benefit from cellaring for 10 to 20 years. Bottled without filtration, decanting 2 hour
- Item #: 378466Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 90ANTONIO GALLONI; VINOUS 90 POINTS - "(aged in French and American oak barrels of various size, 10% of them new): Glassstaining ruby. Ripe cherry and blackberry aromas show very good energy and an enlivening jolt of peppery spices. Plush and seamless on the palate, conveying real power to its black and blue fruit, lavender pastille and white pepper flavors. Finishes broad and fleshy, with repeating spiciness, velvety tannins and strong persistence. This wine has the balance to reward patience but is also pretty appealing right now."
Wine Makers Notes: The great Australian blend of Shiraz, Cabernet Sauvignon with a little touch of Malbec. The wine shows the harmony of the varieties with plum and blackcurrant fruits, typical chocolate character from the Shiraz and boysenberry spice from the Malbec. A juicy palate with persistent flavor and smooth velvety tannins. Enjoy with a hearty winter stew or summer BBQ.
- Item #: 377634Bottle Size: 750mlPETER LEIM 2 STARS-"As usual, this feels concentrated and rich in flavor, showing both the grandeur of the site and the depth and complexity characteristic of these 50-year-old Pinot Noir vines. Its fruit is notably ripe, almost coulis-like in tone, staining the palate in its intensity, and its aromas persist with excellent length, supported by a tense, vibrant structure. While this might not be as complete as the magnificent 2009 or 2008 were, this is hardly a fault, as it
- Item #: 378984Bottle Size: 750mlJAMES HALLIDAY WINE COMPANION 96 POINTS - - "Matured in 5050% French and American oak for 20 months. It's odd how the co-fermentation of viognier can appear to intensify the regional signature, it's certainly written large here, but there's a spark of fresh fruit with a different pitch to its note. All this adds up to an impressive example of this key wine in the d'Arenberg menagerie." 95 points, James Halliday Wine Companion, October 2016."
- Item #: 378190Bottle Size: 750MLJAMES HALLIDAY 95 POINTS - "Part hand, part machine-harvested, crushed and destemmed, 203 weeks on skins in an open-headed down fermenter, matured for 20 months in French oak (8% new) and a dab of Amercian oak. Deep crimson-purple; ultra full-bodied and densely packed with the darkest black fruits, licorice, 70% cacao dark chocolate and ripe tannins. Will live forever. 14.4% alc" - James Halliday, Halliday Wine Companion 2018."
- Item #: 302554Bottle Size: 750MLD'Arenberg's 'Footbolt' is really one of the best Shiraz values going and the 2009 is delicious. The Osborne Family and staff continue to produce wines of exceptional quality across the price spectrum and those looking for serious value will definitely want to look here.
The nose is full of the fresh berries and spice synonymous with McLaren Vale, with a slight eucalypt lift. Secondary characters of sarsaparilla, cinnamon and clove which are expressed more completely as the wine opens up. The palate is mouth coating and plush with red and purple fruits mingling with orange peel and earth. There is a welcomed kick of five spice on the back palate. The lifted and fine fruit tannins provide structure and pull the wine together nicely. The Footbolt Shiraz has proven to cellar well for at least a decade.
- Item #: 381078Bottle Size: 750mlAUSTRALIAN WINE REVIEW - "Purple edged maroon red; the nose laden with squishy, soft and quite delicious purple berries in an unforced, ripe but blackberry fruited round and gentle style, a slick of vanilla bean oak and just a little warmth
- Item #: 382263Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92LISA PERROTTI-BROWN, WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - " Medium-deep garnet in color, the 2013 Greenock Two Grenache Shiraz Mourvedre is a blend of 49% Shiraz, 41% Mourvedre, 10% Grenache. The nose offers aromas of baked cherries, blackberries and fragrant red currants with hints of pepper, earth and dried herbs. Full-bodied, it possesses a nice freshness and chewy, chunky tannins that hold through the quite earthy and long finish."
- Item #: 382069Bottle Size: 750mlA decade ago, if someone had suggested Australia could make top-quality Pinot Noir, they'd have been ignored. Ten years down the track, Mornington Peninsula with its cool climate, is consistently making Pinot to rival others on the world stage. Eldridge Estate is on a ridge in the southern part, about two hours south of Melbourne. After initially thinking the warmer locale of the "downs" immediately to the north would offer a better site for Pinot, Owner & Winemaker, David Lloyd has become a firm "hillist". The extra couple of hundred meters of altitude might delay ripening by a few weeks, creating added climatic and avian risks in the vineyard, but it also allows David to retain sweet, elegant, lingering perfumed floral aromas in the wine.
Only 120 cases produced, 40 allocated to the U.S
- Item #: 382708Bottle Size: 750mlDense but bright red colour. Aromas of ripe mulberries with spices and cedar and hints of freshly grated nutmeg. A typical Langhorne Creek earthiness lead to generous and mouth filling wild blackberry bush flavours. Fine, powdery tannins provide a nice structure. Enjoy over the next 3-5 years.
- Item #: 377858Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 93James Suckling: 93WINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS -"Rich, velvety blackberry and plum flavors show toasted walnut and sandalwood accents in this rich and generous red, which is spicy and detailed on the long, lingering finish. Drink now through 2030."
JAMES SUCKLING 93 POINTS - "This is a heroic, sweetly-fruited cut of Barossa shiraz that has a big wave of ripe boysenberry and blackberry fruit flavor. Sweetly spicy, vanilla-dusted oak influence and an approachable, juicy resolve. Drink now."
- Item #: 383618Bottle Size: 750mlWith fruit from vineyards in the Tamar Valley and Pipers River, this wine has pretty floral perfume and bright fruit with hints of herbs and oak complexity.
Harvest took place in late-March and the fruit was destemmed and cold soaked before wild fermentation in open fermenters with hand plunging. The wine was matured in French oak barriques for 11 months. The barrels were a mix of old and one third new from a select variety of coopers and forests.
- Item #: 373812Bottle Size: 750MLThe Australians are known for making great stickies (dessert wines) and the Hardys Tawny certain ranks among our best value dessert wines. Considering the modest price, this outstanding tawny most certainly over delivers. A best seller!
International Wine Cellar - "Pinkish amber. Spicy redcurrant and toffee aromas are complicated by orange peel, molasses and fresh rose. A delicate and nicely focused tawny with toffeed apple and pear flavors and an exotic blood orange quality emerging on the back. This rather understated port shows good finishing lift and a lingering salted caramel character."
- Item #: 378630Bottle Size: 750MLThe Eden Valley, Mount Edelstone, Hill of Grace and Lenswood vineyards are managed by viticulturist Prue Henschke using biodynamic and organic principles. Deep red with violet hues. Rich aromas of spicy plums, blackberries, anise and sage oil with hints of tar, pepper and cedar. The intensely fruited palate is concentrated, rich and lush with excellent balance, velvety tannins and a long finish.
- Item #: 301684Bottle Size: 750mlJAMES SUCKLING 93 POINTS - "An absolute beauty driven by shiraz and dressed by grenache, mataro and viognier. Concentrated blackberry fruit aromas and flavors with impressive flow and build. Spicy complexity and super fresh. Drink now. Screw cap."
Deep crimson with purple hues. Complex aromas of spiced plums, ripe raspberries and perfumed florals are complemented by savoury notes of crushed marjoram, beef stock, cracked black pepper and liquorice. On the palate, rich spiced plum flavours combine with ripe red berries, followed by a lift of black pepper and anise spice on the mid-palate; a soft and textural mouthfeel showing both depth and elegance, finishing with wonderfully fine, silky tannins.
Blend: 65% Shiraz, 20% Grenache, 10% Mataro, 5% Viognier
- Item #: 377552Bottle Size: 750MLWINERY NOTES - It displays lifted notes of pepper spice, nutmeg and caraway seed with lashings of boysenberry mixed with spearmint. Taste: The palate is medium bodied and seamless with an abundance of choc-mint, raspberries and black cherries.
WINE ENTHUSIAST 90 POINTS - "This juicy, medium-bodied Shiraz is filled with mouthwatering cherry-berry fruit. Some silky tannins provide structure, but this is much more about the here and now than any sort of cellaring. The fruit persists through the finish, joined by hints of herbs and bacon."
- Item #: 377866Bottle Size: 750MLOn the southern boundary of Coonawarra is the old Penola cricket ground, which first saw a ball bowled in anger and the flashing cover drives of the local champions in 1950. Sadly, the ground closed in 1996. Soon after Jim Barry purchased the 30 acre property and planted a Cabernet Sauvignon vineyard.
The original pavilion and pitch have been retained, thus preserving an important piece of Coonawarra sporting history. Fruit from this vineyard, along with selected parcels of fruit from our family owned Cabernet Sauvignon vineyards in the Clare Valley have been blended to produce a wine that is rich, soft and approachable.
The nose is very aromatic, displaying primary characters of cassis and dark berries with subtle hints of dried herbs.
The palate is medium bodied and generous, showing fine tannins, highlighted by flavours of blackcurrant, mint and morello cherries.
- Item #: 378935Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93JAMEES HALLIDAY 94 POINTS - " In beautiful condition and shape. It tastes beautiful. Raspberry, blueberry and blackberry, no alarms or surprises, complemented by woody spice and fine, smoky oak. Everything is where it should, and where you'd hope, it to be."
WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "Medium to deep garnet in color, the 2013 Plexus (a Shiraz, Grenache, Mourv
- Item #: 377346Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 97WINE ADVOCATE 97 POINTS - "Deep garnet-purple colored, the 2013 Shiraz Old Bastard has a slowly emerging, complex nose of incense, cloves, star anise, tar, underbrush and earth with a blackberry and blackcurrant core plus a touch of wild thyme. The big, full, opulently fruited palate delivers tons of flavor layers and wonderful structure with firm, rounded tannins and a racy acid line supporting the generous fruit through the very long finish."
JAMES HALLIDAY 95 POINTS - "100% shiraz from the Nuriootpa vineyard planted in 1893; hand-picked, matured in French oak (35% new). To say it is full-bodied is a masterly understatement: it is huge in every way. But there is balance, and the display of multi-berry fruits is not obscured by tannins or oak even though they are omnipresent."
- Item #: 383471Bottle Size: 750mlThe Stonehorse wines are full of character like the teams of Clydesdale horses that used to work the heavy clay soil at the Kaesler vineyard, long before tractors were invented. This wine, made from our Shiraz vines planted in 1985, reflect this heritage.
Inky bright crimson with a dark centre and a youthful edge.
Vibrant fruits of the forest and hints of cassis & spice.
Supple, elegant mouth feel. Dark fruits such as blackberry and blueberry with lighter red fruits such as red currant. Some spicy notes and oak mingle on the palate.
- Item #: 382164Bottle Size: 750mlGreenock Shiraz is a single vineyard wine produced from low-yielding Shiraz vines on the Kalleske estate at Greenock, in the North-Western Barossa Valley. Cuttings for these vines originate from a vineyard planted on the property in the late 1800s. Today, sixth and seventh generation family members meticulously tend the vines. Traditional winemaking and eighteen months maturation in American and French oak hogsheads has ensured a complex, full-bodied Shiraz which will reward long term cellaring. Greenock Shiraz is a true family estate wine - grown, vintaged and matured on the Kalleske estate. We fell for this one quite readily and quickly. The nose is full of fruit, jammy berries, framboise, kirsch, dark plum, that mesh quite nicely with spice, cocoa, sweet tobacco and hints of mint and earth. The palate continues with the theme: great fruit leads with raspberry and loganberry as baking spices, subtle earth, mint and a flourish of concentrated cherries on the finish. The framework of integrated tannins and balanced acidity, the harmony achieved with the fruit, spice and earthy elements, bodes well for aging.