The Australian wine industry is the world's fourth largest exporter of wine with approximately 750 million litres a year to the international export market with only about 40% of production consumed domestically. Wine is produced in every state, with more than 60 designated wine regions totaling approximately 160,000 hectares; however Australia's wine regions are mainly in the southern, cooler parts of the country, with vineyards located in South Australia, New South Wales, Victoria, Western Australia, Tasmania and Queensland. The wine regions in each of these states produce different wine varieties and styles that take advantage of the particular terroir such as: climatic differences, topography and soil types. With the major varieties being predominantly Shiraz, Cabernet Sauvignon, Chardonnay, Merlot, Semillon, Pinot noir, Riesling, and Sauvignon Blanc. Wines are often labeled with the name of their grape variety, which must constitute at least 85 percent of the wine.
- Item #: i_379154Bottle Size: 750mlDon't let this masterful blend escape you. Each powerful note brings you one step closer to a night filled with mischief and fun. The Warden is a Shiraz-based red blend with tons of richness and complexity. On the nose, there is ample plum, currant, and cherry intermixed with vanilla and cinnamon spice. The same flavor profile is evident in the mouth, picking up some licorice notes. The Warden celebrated those who cleverly ruled theses cunning convicts with top guard, using them as a source of labor to build public facilities – transforming them into colonists ho forged a new country brick by brick. These men and women, both the incarcerated and their custodians, were the building Blocks of the nation that has now been known as Australia.
- Item #: i_377644Bottle Size: 750mlThe color is vibrant red and maroon hues extend from the core of the glass. The nose is sweet vanilla and chocolate aromas are supported by fresh and juicy red berry fruits. The palate is full of flavor, luscious and rich fruit is balanced by layers of vanilla oak. Finishing round and soft with an appeal that consumers find very hard to resist and keep you coming back.
- Item #: i_383605Bottle Size: 750mlBen Haines is a boutique winemaker in Victoria’s Yarra Valley. Having trained in viticulture, he pays close attention to what’s happening in each vineyard throughout the growing season. His wines are intensely textural with flavors continuing to develop sip after sip. Fruit is expressive, structure is present without being constraining. Practicing organic
- Item #: i_378621Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 92ANTONIO GALLONI; VINOUS 92 POINTS - "(raised for a year in large French oak barrels, 27% of them new): Bright violet color. Powerful smoke- and spice-accented aromas of fresh blueberry, cherry-vanilla and cured tobacco, with a floral nuance building with air. Juicy and expansive on the palate, offering sappy dark berry preserve flavors with suggestions of candied flowers, licorice and mocha. Supple, slowbuilding tannins provide grip to the impressively long finish, which leaves boysenberry and smoky mineral notes behind.
Winemakers Notes: Lovely red berry and darker fruit aromas, notably blackcurrant, plum and lifted violets with a touch of black olives. These characters continue onto the palate supported by layers of nutmeg, cinnamon and spice oak flavours, with a hint of vanilla. Balanced, finely structured and perfumed, this wine shows considerable length and structure & will benefit from cellaring for 10 to 20 years. Bottled without filtration, decanting 2 hour’s prior to consumption is recommended.
- Item #: i_378466Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 90ANTONIO GALLONI; VINOUS 90 POINTS - "(aged in French and American oak barrels of various size, 10% of them new): Glassstaining ruby. Ripe cherry and blackberry aromas show very good energy and an enlivening jolt of peppery spices. Plush and seamless on the palate, conveying real power to its black and blue fruit, lavender pastille and white pepper flavors. Finishes broad and fleshy, with repeating spiciness, velvety tannins and strong persistence. This wine has the balance to reward patience but is also pretty appealing right now."
Wine Makers Notes: The great Australian blend of Shiraz, Cabernet Sauvignon with a little touch of Malbec. The wine shows the harmony of the varieties with plum and blackcurrant fruits, typical chocolate character from the Shiraz and boysenberry spice from the Malbec. A juicy palate with persistent flavor and smooth velvety tannins. Enjoy with a hearty winter stew or summer BBQ.
- Item #: i_378984Bottle Size: 750mlJAMES HALLIDAY WINE COMPANION 96 POINTS - - "Matured in 50/50% French and American oak for 20 months. It's odd how the co-fermentation of viognier can appear to intensify the regional signature, it's certainly written large here, but there's a spark of fresh fruit with a different pitch to its note. All this adds up to an impressive example of this key wine in the d'Arenberg menagerie." 95 points, James Halliday Wine Companion, October 2016."
- Item #: i_302554Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 91WINE SPECTATOR 91 POINTS - "Dense and concentrated, with cassis, blackberry and dried cherry flavors that have an appealing chewy, rustic profile, with plenty of charm to the tobacco, spice and black tea flavors, lingering harmoniously. Drink now through 2028."
- Item #: i_378598Bottle Size: 375ml**Please note, this is a half sized bottle375ml - 77% Semillon, 23% Sauvignon Blanc - Botryotinia fuckeliana is the scientific name for a certain type of mould that affects fruit. Botrytis cinerea is a form that affects vineyards and is more affectionately known as ‘noble rot’. Noble rot weakens the skin of the grape which causes the water in the berry to evaporate and leaves behind the sugar and nutrients. Paradoxically to the lewd sounding name, Botrytiana fuckeliana is an asexual spore, named after German botanist, Karl Wilhelm Gottlieb Fuckel. There is a beautiful lemon butter character on the nose with a range of fruits including gooseberry, cumquat, green apple and mixed peel in the background. The palate is thick and luscious with a wonderful silky texture. The lemon butter character is even more dominant on the palate with a deeper layer of green mango, limecello and hints of frangipani. It’s wonderfully complex and indulgent with a subtle edge.This will be a very fun wine to match with a range of desserts, especially something with a citrus component such as a lemon and lime tart.
- Item #: i_382263Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92LISA PERROTTI-BROWN, WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - " Medium-deep garnet in color, the 2013 Greenock Two Grenache Shiraz Mourvedre is a blend of 49% Shiraz, 41% Mourvedre, 10% Grenache. The nose offers aromas of baked cherries, blackberries and fragrant red currants with hints of pepper, earth and dried herbs. Full-bodied, it possesses a nice freshness and chewy, chunky tannins that hold through the quite earthy and long finish."
- Item #: i_379971Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 96Elderton's Command Shiraz is an iconic wine made from grapes sourced from 120 year old vines. Named because of the special treatment the quality fruit 'commanded', this is a Shiraz of excellent concentration. The fruit for this wine comes from the Elderton vineyard located on the banks of the Para River and is matured in a mixture of French and American oak. This allows the wine to retain its driven power while also giving the wine a level of complexity and balance. Elderton's Command can be enjoyed by lovers of ripe and rich fruit early, yet will reward the truly patient with a wine of true beauty when left alone to mature for a decade.
WINE ADVOCATE 96 POINTS - "From vines planted in 1894, the 2014 Command Single Vineyard Shiraz aged in a combination of French and American oak (80% new). Aromas of smoky campfire and vanilla lead the way, followed by expressive raspberry fruit. It's full-bodied and lush across the palate, creamy in texture, impressive in its concentration and balanced by a crisp, fruit-driven finish. Quintessential Barossa Shiraz."
- Item #: i_377858Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 93James Suckling: 93WINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS -"Rich, velvety blackberry and plum flavors show toasted walnut and sandalwood accents in this rich and generous red, which is spicy and detailed on the long, lingering finish. Drink now through 2030."
JAMES SUCKLING 93 POINTS - "This is a heroic, sweetly-fruited cut of Barossa shiraz that has a big wave of ripe boysenberry and blackberry fruit flavor. Sweetly spicy, vanilla-dusted oak influence and an approachable, juicy resolve. Drink now."
- Item #: i_373812Bottle Size: 750MLThe Australians are known for making great stickies (dessert wines) and the Hardys Tawny certain ranks among our best value dessert wines. Considering the modest price, this outstanding tawny most certainly over delivers. A best seller!
International Wine Cellar - "Pinkish amber. Spicy redcurrant and toffee aromas are complicated by orange peel, molasses and fresh rose. A delicate and nicely focused tawny with toffeed apple and pear flavors and an exotic blood orange quality emerging on the back. This rather understated port shows good finishing lift and a lingering salted caramel character."
- Item #: i_381061Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 99WINE ADVOCATE 99 POINTS - "Medium to deep garnet colored, the 2012 Shiraz Hill of Grace is a little reticent on the nose to begin, opening out to a somewhat paradoxically tantalizing black forest cake, beef dripping, fertile loam and tree bark nose with hints of black pepper, Marmite, bay leaves, eucalyptus, licorice and baker’s chocolate. The medium to full-bodied palate is a wonderfully intricate mélange of mineral, savory, dark fruits and spice layers, framed by velvety tannins and refreshing acidity, finishing epically. This is a truly great Hill of Grace that has just entered the first stage of its drinking window and should continue to develop beautifully over the next 25+ years."
- Item #: i_301684Bottle Size: 750mlWINERY NOTES - "Deep crimson with ruby hues. Attractive aromas of spiced plum, red currant and blue and black berry fruits are met with floral nuances of violets and black pepper spice. The round, supple palate is filled with juicy blue and red fruits, spiced plum, liquorice and notes of crushed tarragon, with beautifully textured svelte tannins and a long, peppery finish."
Blend: 66% Shiraz, 15% Grenache, 10% Mataro, 9% Viognier
- Item #: i_378935Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93JAMEES HALLIDAY 94 POINTS - " In beautiful condition and shape. It tastes beautiful. Raspberry, blueberry and blackberry, no alarms or surprises, complemented by woody spice and fine, smoky oak. Everything is where it should, and where you'd hope, it to be."
WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "Medium to deep garnet in color, the 2013 Plexus (a Shiraz, Grenache, Mourvèdre blend) gives slowly evolving raspberry tart, kirsch, potpourri and garrigue notes with underlying spice box and incense hints. Medium to full-bodied, the palate is velveteen textured with layers of expressive red fruits preserves and exotic spice flavors, finishing very long."
- Item #: i_377346Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 97WINE ADVOCATE 97 POINTS - "Deep garnet-purple colored, the 2013 Shiraz Old Bastard has a slowly emerging, complex nose of incense, cloves, star anise, tar, underbrush and earth with a blackberry and blackcurrant core plus a touch of wild thyme. The big, full, opulently fruited palate delivers tons of flavor layers and wonderful structure with firm, rounded tannins and a racy acid line supporting the generous fruit through the very long finish."
JAMES HALLIDAY 95 POINTS - "100% shiraz from the Nuriootpa vineyard planted in 1893; hand-picked, matured in French oak (35% new). To say it is full-bodied is a masterly understatement: it is huge in every way. But there is balance, and the display of multi-berry fruits is not obscured by tannins or oak even though they are omnipresent."
- Item #: i_382164Bottle Size: 750mlGreenock Shiraz is a single vineyard wine produced from low-yielding Shiraz vines on the Kalleske estate at Greenock, in the North-Western Barossa Valley. Cuttings for these vines originate from a vineyard planted on the property in the late 1800s. Today, sixth and seventh generation family members meticulously tend the vines. Traditional winemaking and eighteen months maturation in American and French oak hogsheads has ensured a complex, full-bodied Shiraz which will reward long term cellaring. Greenock Shiraz is a true family estate wine - grown, vintaged and matured on the Kalleske estate. We fell for this one quite readily and quickly. The nose is full of fruit, jammy berries, framboise, kirsch, dark plum, that mesh quite nicely with spice, cocoa, sweet tobacco and hints of mint and earth. The palate continues with the theme: great fruit leads with raspberry and loganberry as baking spices, subtle earth, mint and a flourish of concentrated cherries on the finish. The framework of integrated tannins and balanced acidity, the harmony achieved with the fruit, spice and earthy elements, bodes well for aging.
- Item #: i_383411Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94+WINE ADVOCATE 94+ POINTS - "Deep garnet-purple colored, the 2013 Shiraz Block 6 has aromas of blueberry pie filling and warm black currants with hints of dark chocolate, cherry cordial, violets and yeast extract. Medium to full-bodied, the palate fills the mouth with structured, youthful black fruits and savory nuances, supported by silken tannins and a lively backbone, finishing with great length."
- Item #: i_382503Bottle Size: 750mlLangmeil is home to The Freedom Shiraz, planted in 1843 by vigneron Christian Auricht. Escaping the war and persecution in Purssia, Auricht travelled to his new homeland, finding Freedom in the Barossa Valley. Ois original plantings survived to this day and are some of the oldest and rarest vines in the world. 167 year old vines.
Deep crimson in colour with purple hues. A rich and intense aroma of ripe Satsuma plum, blueberries and ANZAC cookies, mingle with hints of cedar, licorice and sweet spice. Quite a mouthful of sweet, juicy fruit but balanced wonderfully with briary and sweet spice and lovely, silty tannins. A full bodied wine showing great complexity with hints of cedar and biscuit, which, in combination, flows throug to the lengthy, fruitful and spicy finish.
- Item #: i_377616Bottle Size: 750mlLifted blackcurrants and blueberry aroma entwine with Cedary French oak, minty hints and savoury notes. On the palate bright, juicy, blue and red fruits flow onto the palate which is mediumto full bodied. Briary spice adds to the complexity and the sweet fruit is well balanced with fine, silky tannins which lengthen the fruitful and velvety finish.
- Item #: i_377499Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 90WINE ADVOCATE 90 POINTS - "Composed of 96% Shiraz and 4% Viognier, the 2015 Shiraz / Viognier Hangin' Snakes displays a deep garnet-purple color and a nose of fresh black currants and black cherries with hints of violets, Provence herbs, cloves and cinnamon stick. The black fruit and spices fill the medium-bodied palate, supported by soft, approachable tannins and just enough freshness, finishing long and perfumed."
ANTONIO GALLONI; VINOUS 90 POINTS - "Vivid purple. Spice-tinged blue fruits and violet on the fragrant nose. Sweet and seamless in texture, offering juicy boysenberry and cherry flavors that tighten up slowly on the back half. Lingers with very good tenacity and just a hint of dusty tannins that add final grip."
The history of Langmeil's Lindner family paints a rich portrait of farming, food, community and wine which can be traced back six generations to the central European region known as Silesia. The Freedom 1843 Shiraz is believed to be the oldest surviving shiraz vineyard in the world. Called Langmeil, the name of the trading village established in 1842, by the Lindner family whose own mark on the Barossa spans six-generations. Langmeil is renowned for its preservation of old vines and the making of distinguished wines from these cherished sites.