The Australian wine industry is the world's fourth largest exporter of wine with approximately 750 million litres a year to the international export market with only about 40% of production consumed domestically. Wine is produced in every state, with more than 60 designated wine regions totaling approximately 160,000 hectares; however Australia's wine regions are mainly in the southern, cooler parts of the country, with vineyards located in South Australia, New South Wales, Victoria, Western Australia, Tasmania and Queensland. The wine regions in each of these states produce different wine varieties and styles that take advantage of the particular terroir such as: climatic differences, topography and soil types. With the major varieties being predominantly Shiraz, Cabernet Sauvignon, Chardonnay, Merlot, Semillon, Pinot noir, Riesling, and Sauvignon Blanc. Wines are often labeled with the name of their grape variety, which must constitute at least 85 percent of the wine.
- Item #: i_379154Bottle Size: 750ml
Don't let this masterful blend escape you. Each powerful note brings you one step closer to a night filled with mischief and fun. The Warden is a Shiraz-based red blend with tons of richness and complexity. On the nose, there is ample plum, currant, and cherry intermixed with vanilla and cinnamon spice. The same flavor profile is evident in the mouth, picking up some licorice notes. The Warden celebrated those who cleverly ruled theses cunning convicts with top guard, using them as a source of labor to build public facilities – transforming them into colonists ho forged a new country brick by brick. These men and women, both the incarcerated and their custodians, were the building Blocks of the nation that has now been known as Australia.
- Item #: i_377644Bottle Size: 750mlThe color is vibrant red and maroon hues extend from the core of the glass. The nose is sweet vanilla and chocolate aromas are supported by fresh and juicy red berry fruits. The palate is full of flavor, luscious and rich fruit is balanced by layers of vanilla oak. Finishing round and soft with an appeal that consumers find very hard to resist and keep you coming back.
- Item #: i_378621Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 92ANTONIO GALLONI; VINOUS 92 POINTS - "(raised for a year in large French oak barrels, 27% of them new): Bright violet color. Powerful smoke- and spice-accented aromas of fresh blueberry, cherry-vanilla and cured tobacco, with a floral nuance building with air. Juicy and expansive on the palate, offering sappy dark berry preserve flavors with suggestions of candied flowers, licorice and mocha. Supple, slowbuilding tannins provide grip to the impressively long finish, which leaves boysenberry and smoky mineral notes behind.
Winemakers Notes: Lovely red berry and darker fruit aromas, notably blackcurrant, plum and lifted violets with a touch of black olives. These characters continue onto the palate supported by layers of nutmeg, cinnamon and spice oak flavours, with a hint of vanilla. Balanced, finely structured and perfumed, this wine shows considerable length and structure & will benefit from cellaring for 10 to 20 years. Bottled without filtration, decanting 2 hour’s prior to consumption is recommended.
- Item #: 378466Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 90ANTONIO GALLONI; VINOUS 90 POINTS - "(aged in French and American oak barrels of various size, 10% of them new): Glassstaining ruby. Ripe cherry and blackberry aromas show very good energy and an enlivening jolt of peppery spices. Plush and seamless on the palate, conveying real power to its black and blue fruit, lavender pastille and white pepper flavors. Finishes broad and fleshy, with repeating spiciness, velvety tannins and strong persistence. This wine has the balance to reward patience but is also pretty appealing right now."
Wine Makers Notes: The great Australian blend of Shiraz, Cabernet Sauvignon with a little touch of Malbec. The wine shows the harmony of the varieties with plum and blackcurrant fruits, typical chocolate character from the Shiraz and boysenberry spice from the Malbec. A juicy palate with persistent flavor and smooth velvety tannins. Enjoy with a hearty winter stew or summer BBQ.
- Item #: i_378190Bottle Size: 750MLJAMES HALLIDAY 95 POINTS - "Part hand, part machine-harvested, crushed and destemmed, 203 weeks on skins in an open-headed down fermenter, matured for 20 months in French oak (8% new) and a dab of Amercian oak. Deep crimson-purple; ultra full-bodied and densely packed with the darkest black fruits, licorice, 70% cacao dark chocolate and ripe tannins. Will live forever. 14.4% alc" - James Halliday, Halliday Wine Companion 2018."
- Item #: i_302554Bottle Size: 750MLD'Arenberg's 'Footbolt' is really one of the best Shiraz values going and the 2009 is delicious. The Osborne Family and staff continue to produce wines of exceptional quality across the price spectrum and those looking for serious value will definitely want to look here.
The nose is full of the fresh berries and spice synonymous with McLaren Vale, with a slight eucalypt lift. Secondary characters of sarsaparilla, cinnamon and clove which are expressed more completely as the wine opens up. The palate is mouth coating and plush with red and purple fruits mingling with orange peel and earth. There is a welcomed kick of five spice on the back palate. The lifted and fine fruit tannins provide structure and pull the wine together nicely. The Footbolt Shiraz has proven to cellar well for at least a decade.
- Item #: i_378598Bottle Size: 375ml**Please note, this is a half sized bottle375ml - 77% Semillon, 23% Sauvignon Blanc - Botryotinia fuckeliana is the scientific name for a certain type of mould that affects fruit. Botrytis cinerea is a form that affects vineyards and is more affectionately known as ‘noble rot’. Noble rot weakens the skin of the grape which causes the water in the berry to evaporate and leaves behind the sugar and nutrients. Paradoxically to the lewd sounding name, Botrytiana fuckeliana is an asexual spore, named after German botanist, Karl Wilhelm Gottlieb Fuckel. There is a beautiful lemon butter character on the nose with a range of fruits including gooseberry, cumquat, green apple and mixed peel in the background. The palate is thick and luscious with a wonderful silky texture. The lemon butter character is even more dominant on the palate with a deeper layer of green mango, limecello and hints of frangipani. It’s wonderfully complex and indulgent with a subtle edge.This will be a very fun wine to match with a range of desserts, especially something with a citrus component such as a lemon and lime tart.
- Item #: 381078Bottle Size: 750mlAUSTRALIAN WINE REVIEW - "Purple edged maroon red; the nose laden with squishy, soft and quite delicious purple berries in an unforced, ripe but blackberry fruited round and gentle style, a slick of vanilla bean oak and just a little warmth
- Item #: i_382263Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92LISA PERROTTI-BROWN, WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - " Medium-deep garnet in color, the 2013 Greenock Two Grenache Shiraz Mourvedre is a blend of 49% Shiraz, 41% Mourvedre, 10% Grenache. The nose offers aromas of baked cherries, blackberries and fragrant red currants with hints of pepper, earth and dried herbs. Full-bodied, it possesses a nice freshness and chewy, chunky tannins that hold through the quite earthy and long finish."
- Item #: i_379971Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 96Elderton's Command Shiraz is an iconic wine made from grapes sourced from 120 year old vines. Named because of the special treatment the quality fruit 'commanded', this is a Shiraz of excellent concentration. The fruit for this wine comes from the Elderton vineyard located on the banks of the Para River and is matured in a mixture of French and American oak. This allows the wine to retain its driven power while also giving the wine a level of complexity and balance. Elderton's Command can be enjoyed by lovers of ripe and rich fruit early, yet will reward the truly patient with a wine of true beauty when left alone to mature for a decade.
WINE ADVOCATE 96 POINTS - "From vines planted in 1894, the 2014 Command Single Vineyard Shiraz aged in a combination of French and American oak (80% new). Aromas of smoky campfire and vanilla lead the way, followed by expressive raspberry fruit. It's full-bodied and lush across the palate, creamy in texture, impressive in its concentration and balanced by a crisp, fruit-driven finish. Quintessential Barossa Shiraz."
- Item #: i_382708Bottle Size: 750mlDense but bright red colour. Aromas of ripe mulberries with spices and cedar and hints of freshly grated nutmeg. A typical Langhorne Creek earthiness lead to generous and mouth filling wild blackberry bush flavours. Fine, powdery tannins provide a nice structure. Enjoy over the next 3-5 years.
- Item #: 377858Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 93James Suckling: 93WINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS -"Rich, velvety blackberry and plum flavors show toasted walnut and sandalwood accents in this rich and generous red, which is spicy and detailed on the long, lingering finish. Drink now through 2030."
JAMES SUCKLING 93 POINTS - "This is a heroic, sweetly-fruited cut of Barossa shiraz that has a big wave of ripe boysenberry and blackberry fruit flavor. Sweetly spicy, vanilla-dusted oak influence and an approachable, juicy resolve. Drink now."
- Item #: 378630Bottle Size: 750MLThe Eden Valley, Mount Edelstone, Hill of Grace and Lenswood vineyards are managed by viticulturist Prue Henschke using biodynamic and organic principles. Deep red with violet hues. Rich aromas of spicy plums, blackberries, anise and sage oil with hints of tar, pepper and cedar. The intensely fruited palate is concentrated, rich and lush with excellent balance, velvety tannins and a long finish.
- Item #: i_301684Bottle Size: 750mlJAMES SUCKLING 93 POINTS - "An absolute beauty driven by shiraz and dressed by grenache, mataro and viognier. Concentrated blackberry fruit aromas and flavors with impressive flow and build. Spicy complexity and super fresh. Drink now. Screw cap."
Deep crimson with purple hues. Complex aromas of spiced plums, ripe raspberries and perfumed florals are complemented by savoury notes of crushed marjoram, beef stock, cracked black pepper and liquorice. On the palate, rich spiced plum flavours combine with ripe red berries, followed by a lift of black pepper and anise spice on the mid-palate; a soft and textural mouthfeel showing both depth and elegance, finishing with wonderfully fine, silky tannins.
Blend: 65% Shiraz, 20% Grenache, 10% Mataro, 5% Viognier
- Item #: i_382445Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 91AUSTRALIAN WINE COMPANION 94 POINTS - "Firm with tannin and alive with promise. It's not the brightest spark but deep pools of blackberried fruit and swirls of firm coffeed tannin make it a monty for sound future development."
WINE ADVOCATE 91 POINTS - "Deep garnet purple in color, the 2013 The McRae Wood Shiraz has a profound nose with black plums, berries and cherries, alongside spice box, violets, cedar and toast. Full, rich and chewy, though with slightly astringent tannins, the oak is poking out a bit and this wine needs some time. Rating: 91+"
- Item #: i_377866Bottle Size: 750MLOn the southern boundary of Coonawarra is the old Penola cricket ground, which first saw a ball bowled in anger and the flashing cover drives of the local champions in 1950. Sadly, the ground closed in 1996. Soon after Jim Barry purchased the 30 acre property and planted a Cabernet Sauvignon vineyard.
The original pavilion and pitch have been retained, thus preserving an important piece of Coonawarra sporting history. Fruit from this vineyard, along with selected parcels of fruit from our family owned Cabernet Sauvignon vineyards in the Clare Valley have been blended to produce a wine that is rich, soft and approachable.
The nose is very aromatic, displaying primary characters of cassis and dark berries with subtle hints of dried herbs.
The palate is medium bodied and generous, showing fine tannins, highlighted by flavours of blackcurrant, mint and morello cherries.
- Item #: i_378935Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93JAMEES HALLIDAY 94 POINTS - " In beautiful condition and shape. It tastes beautiful. Raspberry, blueberry and blackberry, no alarms or surprises, complemented by woody spice and fine, smoky oak. Everything is where it should, and where you'd hope, it to be."
WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "Medium to deep garnet in color, the 2013 Plexus (a Shiraz, Grenache, Mourvèdre blend) gives slowly evolving raspberry tart, kirsch, potpourri and garrigue notes with underlying spice box and incense hints. Medium to full-bodied, the palate is velveteen textured with layers of expressive red fruits preserves and exotic spice flavors, finishing very long."
- Item #: i_377346Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 97WINE ADVOCATE 97 POINTS - "Deep garnet-purple colored, the 2013 Shiraz Old Bastard has a slowly emerging, complex nose of incense, cloves, star anise, tar, underbrush and earth with a blackberry and blackcurrant core plus a touch of wild thyme. The big, full, opulently fruited palate delivers tons of flavor layers and wonderful structure with firm, rounded tannins and a racy acid line supporting the generous fruit through the very long finish."
JAMES HALLIDAY 95 POINTS - "100% shiraz from the Nuriootpa vineyard planted in 1893; hand-picked, matured in French oak (35% new). To say it is full-bodied is a masterly understatement: it is huge in every way. But there is balance, and the display of multi-berry fruits is not obscured by tannins or oak even though they are omnipresent."
- Item #: i_383471Bottle Size: 750mlThe Stonehorse wines are full of character like the teams of Clydesdale horses that used to work the heavy clay soil at the Kaesler vineyard, long before tractors were invented. This wine, made from our Shiraz vines planted in 1985, reflect this heritage.
Inky bright crimson with a dark centre and a youthful edge.
Vibrant fruits of the forest and hints of cassis & spice.
Supple, elegant mouth feel. Dark fruits such as blackberry and blueberry with lighter red fruits such as red currant. Some spicy notes and oak mingle on the palate.
- Item #: 382164Bottle Size: 750mlGreenock Shiraz is a single vineyard wine produced from low-yielding Shiraz vines on the Kalleske estate at Greenock, in the North-Western Barossa Valley. Cuttings for these vines originate from a vineyard planted on the property in the late 1800s. Today, sixth and seventh generation family members meticulously tend the vines. Traditional winemaking and eighteen months maturation in American and French oak hogsheads has ensured a complex, full-bodied Shiraz which will reward long term cellaring. Greenock Shiraz is a true family estate wine - grown, vintaged and matured on the Kalleske estate. We fell for this one quite readily and quickly. The nose is full of fruit, jammy berries, framboise, kirsch, dark plum, that mesh quite nicely with spice, cocoa, sweet tobacco and hints of mint and earth. The palate continues with the theme: great fruit leads with raspberry and loganberry as baking spices, subtle earth, mint and a flourish of concentrated cherries on the finish. The framework of integrated tannins and balanced acidity, the harmony achieved with the fruit, spice and earthy elements, bodes well for aging.
- Item #: i_383620Bottle Size: 750mlAUSTRALIAN WINE COMPANION, JAMES HALLIDAY 93 POINTS - "Joyous aromas of molten kirsch, Christmas cake and a sluice of white pepper segue to a rich, fibrous palate honed by peppery acidity and gentle tannins, just tactile enough to tone grenache's hedonistic tendencies. A lovely drink."