- Item #: i_345109Bottle Size: 750MLeROBERT PARKER 92-94 POINTS :"The 2013 Meursault 1er Cru les Perrières has an attractive austerity on the nose, well defined, and actually capturing the essence of Perrières better than some of the more famous producers. The palate is crisp and precise with a keen line of acidity, well-integrated oak and a touch of grilled walnut and salinity toward the long finish. Bravo! This is very well-executed Perrières."
BURGHOUND POINTS 92 "OUTSTANDING" :"A subtle application of wood easily allows the elegant, pure and airy aromas of floral, citrus and wet stone where a hint of Asian style tea lurks in the background. There is plenty of mineral character to the beautifully well-detailed, intense and delicious middle weight flavors that conclude in an impressively long and palate coating finish. This is not especially complex at present and I would suggest acquiring this only if you have the express intention of holding it for at least 5 years."
VINOUSMEDIA 91-93 POINTS :"Discreet nose hints at white flowers, rose petal and white pepper, with citrus peel in the deep background. Fine-grained and aromatic in the mouth, offering an intriguing blend of sweet and peppery elements and wet-stone minerality. Finishes classically dry and long, with soil-driven smoky, saline minerality." -- Stephen Tanzer
- Item #: i_352941Bottle Size: 750mlSince the mid 2000s, synthetic treatments of herbicides, pesticides or fertilizers were systematically abandoned one step at a time until they were all gone from his land before the turn of the decade. Then his interest in the inexplicable but observable energies of our mysterious universe and its influence on grapes and wine came to be central to his decision-making. The moon is his compass for the timing of processes during growing, farming, picking, racking and bottling.
On his top two Pommard wines, Les Vignots and Les Charmots, they are aged for 14-16 months in 70% older oak barrels and 30% new, while on the village appellation wines they typically land between 90-80% old oak barrels. The wines may receive a light filtration but are never fined.
Vignots, the most ethereal, complex wine in Demougeot's range of reds, is the marriage of the two words, vigne and haut, which means high vines. It does indeed come from a set of vineyards high in altitude that extend above 300 meters on the north hill of Pommard. Planted in 1983, this 0.21 hectare site faces directly south on a steep slope inside the narrow valley known as la Petite Combe on a thin topsoil of limestone and clay before the roots dig into the limestone bedrock. Its defining characteristics, higher altitude, south face, windy, steep, thin topsoil and limestone bedrock are on full display with Demougeot's soft approach in the cellar and rigorous organic work in vineyards.
- Item #: i_345130Bottle Size: 750MLBurghound: 92-95BURGHOUND 92 - 95 POINTS - " This is also brooding to the point of being almost inexpressive and it is only with aggressive swirling that reluctant aromas of pungent earth, spice, floral, dark currant and mocha notes emerge. This is a seriously powerful and concentrated Maz with its muscular big-bodied flavors that also possess a hugely long finish on the almost painfully intense finale. This is terrific and should amply reward longer-term cellaring and note too that it's going to need it as this is very structured though not hard or tough."
- Item #: i_334009Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 94-96Wine Spectator: 95-98eROBERT PARKER 94-96 POINTS: "As one might expect, this is probably the dry white wine of the vintage. Composed of 70% Semillon and 30% Sauvignon Blanc, it shows no trace of its time spent in 100% new oak, but offers copious notes of lemon oil, orange blossom, honeysuckle, fig and grapefruit. The wine possesses a broad, full-bodied mouthfeel with great precision, freshness and length. Consume it over the next 30+ years."
WINE SPECTATOR 95-98 POINTS: "The pear skin, honeysuckle, chamomile and verbena aromas are all defined already, with an almost creamy feel to the core of white peach, lemon chiffon and macadamia nut notes. Shows remarkable depth and richness, with straw and brioche accents helping the finish glide along beautifully. A stunner, possibly the wine of the vintage. Sauvignon Blanc and Sémillon.—Tasted non-blind. Score range: 95-98" –JM
- Item #: i_325786Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 92Wine Spectator: 93WINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS - "Hints of yeast and bread dough announce this elegant wine, mixing with rich flavors of quince paste, toasted raisin bread, nut and candied lemon zest. Offers beautiful balance and harmony, with a long, juicy finish. Disgorged May 2010. Drink now through 2024."
WINE ADVOCATE 92 - "The 2004 Extra Brut Grand Cru Rive Gauche Rive Droite is 60% Pinot Noir from Ay and 40% Chardonnay from Chouilly and Oiry vinified in oak barrels. Today the wine is understandably tight and focused, but with time in the glass it turns richer and weightier. Warm toasty notes add further shades of nuance on the finish. The Rive Gauche Rive Droit is a bigger wine than some of the other Champagnes in this line-up, but it isn't appreciably more complex. Disgorged May 4, 2010, anticipated maturity: 2012-2022. I was very impressed by what I tasted from Hebrart this year. From top to bottom this is a fabulous set of wines."
- Item #: i_321804Bottle Size: 750mlA blend of 100% Chardonnay from the long, cool 2013 growing season. This cuvee includes 4 Grands and Premiers crus in the Côte des Blancs and the Montagne de Reims and 2 Grands and Premiers crus in the Marne Valley. This luxuriant bubbly was given: 5 years' cellar maturation and finished with a lowish dosage of 6 g/l. WINE ENTHUSIAST 91 POINTS-"A blend of Grand Cru fruit, this well-structured wine is rich while also tense, mineral and with further aging potential. Citrus acidity is allied to crisp apples to produce the fruity side of this well-balanced wine. It will be better from 2020."
- Item #: i_374647Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92Wine Spectator: 92WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - " The NV Brut Blanc de Blancs flows with the essence of lemon, white flowers, almonds and pears. It is a bright, focused wine backed up with considerable plushness and generosity in its fruit. The Blanc de Blancs should drink beautifully for a number of years."
- Item #: i_344311Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 93eROBERT PARKER 93 POINTS: "The 2013 Charmes-Chambertin Très Vieilles Vignes has a broody, surprisingly introspective bouquet with raspberry coulis, blackcurrant and sous-bois notes, although to be frank it does not put any gap between itself and the 2013 Gevrey Fontenys. The palate is medium-bodied with fine definition, not quite as sensual as other Charmes-Chambertins that I have tasted, just a prickle of white pepper towards the finish, but it declines offering that knockout punch on the finish. And as such, pound for pound I prefer the Fontenys this year that seems to possess the same level of complexity."
- Item #: i_344313Bottle Size: 750MLeROBERT PARKER 91-93 POINTS: "The 2013 Griotte-Chambertin Grand Cru, whose vines lie next to Jean-Marie Fourrier, was showing a little reduction at the beginning, but with aeration it begins to gain more clarity. The palate is medium-bodied with grainy tannins, black fruit mixed with cola and five-spice, a crisp line of acidity and a long candied finish. A sumptuous Griotte-Chambertin that will need several years to reach its plateau."
- Item #: i_345057Bottle Size: 750MLROBERT PARKER 88-89 POINTS: "The 2013 l'Evangile shows a slightly deeper color as well as more noticeable ripe raspberry and black cherry fruit intermixed with notions of licorice and incense. Again, there is no hint of herbaceousness or tannic astringency in this mid-weight, slightly superficial, but charming, pretty 2013. Consume it over the next 7-8 years."
- Item #: i_334072Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 93-95Burghound: 93-96BURGHOUND 93-96 POINTS "DONT MISS": "A stunningly spicy nose features notes of anise, sandalwood, exotic tea and lavender nuances that add interest to the cool and pure essence of red currant aromas. There is a lush and enveloping mouth feel to the utterly delicious and seductively textured medium weight plus flavors that exude a fine bead of minerality on the even more structured and explosive finale. This is a 'wow' wine as I was seriously impressed, not only by its complexity but also by the unrivaled harmony of expression among these Gevrey grands crus."
eROBERT PARKER 93-95 POINTS: "The 2013 Chambertin Clos-de-Beze Grand Cru has a touch more intensity on the nose when compared directly against the Chambertin '13. It is very well defined and the oak is seamlessly embroidered into the red and black brambly fruit. The palate is medium-bodied with fine tannin: supple in the mouth with hints of marmalade and Asian spice toward the vibrant finish. Excellent, though the Chambertin has the edge in terms of sophistication."
- Item #: i_334074Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 94-96Burghound: 92-95BURGHOUND 92-95 POINTS "DON'T MISS": "Once again this was not vinified by Jadot. This too is remarkably broad-ranging with its relatively expressive nose of cool red and dark fruit, spice, earth, game, underbrush, floral and exotic tea scented aromas. There is an almost pungent minerality to the overtly powerful and intense big-bodied flavors that exude a controlled power on the imposingly long finish where an interesting hint of tobacco appears. This is impressive though again note well that this will require all of 15 years to arrive at its peak and 18 to 20 would not surprise me."
eROBERT PARKER 94-96 POINTS: "The 2013 Chambertin Grand Cru has a sense of length and breadth on the nose: delve in to find red and yellow plum, wild strawberry, heather, forest floor and sage aromas that are well defined. The palate is medium-bodied with fine tannins, moderate weight in the mouth, but it is more a sense of focus and symmetry that really lifts this Chambertin. Fresh and vibrant with the mineral component becoming accentuated towards the linear finish, this is a Chambertin that will require several years in bottle."
- Item #: i_321252Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 92-94Burghound: 92-94BURGHOUND 92-94 POINTS: "Here the nose is quite similar to that of the Ech though there is a bit more overall complexity. In the same vein there is a bit more size, weight, richness and muscle to the dusty and mouth coating flavors that also possess a firmer tannic spine that is well-buffered by the profusion of sap, all wrapped in a dense, powerful and impressively long finish. This is definitely going to need plenty of time in bottle to reach its full apogee."
eROBERT PARKER 92-94 POINTS: "The 2013 Grands Echezeaux Grand Cru has more fruit intensity on the nose than its little brother, although not quite the same endearing delineation. The palate is medium-bodied with fine tannin, good depth, a touch of dried blood infusing the red berry fruit with commendable precision on the long finish. Everything seems to be held back at the moment, so give it several years in bottle."
- Item #: i_334075Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 89-90Burghound: 91-93BURGHOUND 91-93 POINTS: "Here too Barnier noted that this was not vinified by Jadot. There is plenty of oak and menthol character on the nose that presently all but renders the spicy red currant aromas invisible. As one would reasonably expect the middle weight and lightly mineral-inflected flavors possess a more refined mouth feel as well as deliver better depth and length on the firm but not hard or even particularly austere finale. Patience will be required though."
eROBERT PARKER 89-90 POINTS: "The 2013 Griotte-Chambertin Grand Cru has a more leathery, mushroom-scented bouquet - plenty of undergrowth - but not the same delineation or complexity as the Mazis-Chambertin '13 at the moment. The palate is medium-bodied and shows more freshness and class than the aromatics, with orange sorbet and Chinese 5-spice towards the elegant finish. It is just the aromatics that let the side down."
- Item #: i_345289Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 88-90Burghound: 89-92BURGHOUND 89-92 POINTS: "Plentiful wood and menthol scents serves as a less than subtle backdrop for the ripe and very fresh red and dark currant, sauvage and strong earth aromas. There is excellent richness to the full-bodied and overtly muscular flavors that possess fine power on the firm and palate coating finish. The somewhat rustic tannins are buffered by the abundant dry extract and the overall impression of this bold effort is one of a classic, indeed even old school, Vaucrains."
- Item #: i_333973Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 91-93WINE ADVOCATE 91-93 POINTS - "The 2013 Chablis Grand Cru Cote de Bouqueyreaux (not the easiest word to pronounce) comes from Bougros (which is far easier to pronounce, but that's Patrick's recalcitrance for you!) It possesses a very fresh lime flower, mineral and citrus peel nose that is effervescent compared to other 2013s from Piuze. The palate is clean and fresh with good acidity, very harmonious with touches of apricot and tangerine, cohesive with very good tension on the saline finish. What a superb Chablis - one worth the effort in trying to pronounce."
- Item #: i_377462Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 92Wine Spectator: 90WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "The label is terribly pink but the color salmon rose and the bouquet of the 2013 Special Club Grand Cru Brut Rose is absolutely delicate and subtle on both nose and palate. Bright flavors of raspberries, roses and red currant lead to an elegant, fine, well balanced and absolutely delicate and serious Rosé Vintage Champagne, which exemplary reflects the purity and freshness of the 2013 vintage as well as the expressive house style."
- Item #: i_350620Bottle Size: 750mlPierre Bénétière is a self-made man and staunch Northern Rhone traditionalist cut from the mold of the great icons of the region, Gentaz-Dervieux, Verset, Juge, Allemand, etc. While Pierre grew up in a wine family, his parents did not actually produce wine, but were merchants in Condrieu selling local table wines to the bars and restaurants in the area. He eventually studied Enology and started his winery in the late `80s by acquiring a small parcel of land in the southern end of Cote Rotie (in the lieu-dit of Cordeloux near Condrieu) and clearing and planting the vineyards himself. He later added two small vineyards in Condrieu itself as well as a small parcel of old vines in the heart of the Cote Rotie appellation, on the Cote Brune and right in the middle of Guigal’s famed “La Turque”!
The Condrieu is nicely phenolic in texture, and avoids the cloying quality that one often finds in this appellation. The richness of the wine is nicely balanced with an underlying acidity (he is clearly picking on the early side).
- Item #: i_374287Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96WINE ADVOCATE 96 POINTS - " Why has the non-vintage concept largely been reserved to entry-level wines?" pondered Péters, and he decided to produce a new cuvée to change that. Based on the 2012 Les Chétillons and supplemented by wine from the family's long-established perpetual reserve, the NV L’Étonnant Monsieur Victor Edition MK 12 is the latest rendition, and it's showing very well, opening in the glass with aromas of lemon oil, warm bread, white flowers, crushed chalk, oyster shells and wheat toast. On the palate, the wine is medium to full-bodied, rich and layered, with superb concentration, racy acids and a precise, intensely saline finish."
- Item #: i_351390Bottle Size: 750mlWINE SPECTATOR 96 POINTS - "Shows impressive depth and range for the vintage, with layer upon layer of steeped fig, crushed plum and warm raspberry preserve flavors forming the core, all backed by Turkish coffee, licorice root and roasted alder notes. The finish is long and authoritative, presenting a beguiling whiff of shiso leaf at the very end. A superb effort. Best from 2018 through 2030"