- Item #: i_399921Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 92WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "I must say, served against Pavie-Macquin and Cheval Blanc of the same vintage, one could argue that Becot is the most pleasurable 98 at the moment. Superb delineation and vivacity on the nose, particular compared to the Pavie-Macquin. A very pure bouquet, with blackberries, blueberries and a touch of black plum. It is also beginning to reveal a sense of minerality with time in the glass. The palate is medium-bodied , does not have particularly great depth, but is very well balanced, well-poised with a pretty, floral finish. Medium-length. Drinking very well now and over the next 7-8 years."
- Item #: i_354193Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "A garage operation, this cuvee of 70% Merlot and 30% Cabernet Franc enjoys the so-called 200% new oak treatment. There are about 3,000 cases, a relatively large amount for a vin de garage. Possibly the finest La Couspaude to date, the 1998 displays flamboyant notes of toasty new oak as well as an exotic personality. Unctuous, thick, full-bodied, seamless flavors redolent with plums, cherry liqueur, and vanillin cascade over the palate. Low acidity and plush, concentrated, jammy fruit add to the impressive, hedonistic qualities of this explosively rich wine."
- Item #: i_350487Bottle Size: 1.5LWine Advocate: 98Wine Spectator: 95Decanter: 90 to 95 point scoreWINE ADVOCATE 98 POINTS - "A blend of 81% Cabernet Sauvignon and 19% Merlot, this wine represents only 34% of Lafite's total harvest. In a less than perfect Medoc vintage, it has been spectacular since birth, putting on more weight and flesh over the last year. This opaque purple-colored 1998 is close to perfection. The spectacular nose of lead pencil, smoky, mineral, and black currant fruit soars majestically from the glass. The wine is elegant yet profoundly rich, revealing the essence of Lafite's character. The tannin is sweet, and the wine is spectacularly layered yet never heavy. The finish is sweet, super-rich, yet impeccably balanced and long (50+ seconds). Anticipated maturity: 2007-2035."
- Item #: i_354194Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94WINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS - "The 1998 Monbousquet is medium to deep garnet-brick in color with wonderful dried mulberries, kirsch and prune preserves notions with hints of cigar box, Chinese five spice and potpourri plus a waft of liquid licorice. Medium-bodied, it's very spicy with a wonderful core of plum and cherry preserves and beautifully plush tannins, finishing very long and spicy."(5/2018)
- Item #: i_351694Bottle Size: 750mlWINE ADVOCATE 96 POINTS - "Like many of its peers, the 1998 has filled out spectacularly. Now in the bottle, this opaque black/purple-colored offering has increased in stature, richness, and size. A blend of 86% Cabernet Sauvignon, 12% Merlot, and 2% Cabernet Franc (57% of the production was utilized), it is an extremely powerful, super-concentrated wine offering notes of roasted espresso, creme de cassis, smoke, new saddle leather, graphite, and licorice. It is massive, with awesome concentration, mouth-searing tannin levels, and a saturated flavor profile that grips the mouth with considerable intensity. This is a 50-year Mouton, but patience will be required as it will not be close to drinkability for at least a decade. Anticipated maturity: 2012-2050."
- Item #: i_351436Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 97WINE ADVOCATE 97 POINTS: "Pale to medium garnet-brick in color, the 1998 Pavie Macquin simply sings with incredibly pure, spritely notes of blueberry preserves, blackberry pie and black cherry compote, revealing loads of eucalyptus, mocha, dried lavender and Chinese five spice accents. Medium to full-bodied, the palate is has wonderfully seductive blue and black fruit layers, framed by velvety tannins and the perfect amount of freshness to create tantalizing tension, finishing with incredible length and depth. Effortlessly delicious and yet possessing plenty of subtext for intellectual stimulation, I just love where this compelling '98 is at right now!"(5/2018)
- Item #: i_353177Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94Wine Spectator: 94WINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS - "Medium garnet-brick in color, the 1998 Peby Faugeres opens with a decadently fruity nose of blueberry compote, plum preserves and dark chocolate with wafts of sweaty leather, camphor, chocolate box and Ceylon tea plus a hint of truffles. Medium to full-bodied, the palate is chock-full of black and blue fruit preserves with the acid sitting nice and subtle in the background and plenty plush tannic structure in the forefront. It finishes on a lingering earthy, barnyard note. This wine still has a lot of fruit and life ahead of it, but you'll need to be able to appreciate that sweaty leather component to truly love this wine."
- Item #: i_354190Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 92James Suckling: 92JAMES SUCKLING 92 POINTS - "You probably remember I am a great fan of 1998 Bordeaux, but only Right Bank and Pessac-Leognan. Well, here is another beauty and it shouldn't cost an arm and a leg! It's drinking beautifully now with very fine aromas of chocolate and beer. It's full body, with ultra-fine tannins and a juicy, succulent finish. Decanting an hour would help."(2/2014)
WINE SPECTATOR 92 POINTS - "Intense aromas of black olive and blackberry, with a hint of grilled meat. Full-bodied, with chewy tannins and a long, rich finish. Very powerful and rich. Just starting to come around."
- Item #: i_354191Bottle Size: 750mlDecanter: Score above 95 pointsDECANTER 97 POINTS - "One of the wines of the tasting, this has standout quality and is certainly impressive in terms of (relative) value, holding its own next to Figeac and Cheval Blanc. The 17 days over 38°C in August meant the limestone soils were key, as in 1989. It's a beautiful wine, luscious, juicy and rich in black fruits, and still young. The Lurtons owned Clos Fourtet until 1998, when it went to the Cuveliers, so this was Pierre Lurton's last vintage as director - and this means he had a hand in two wines in this line up, which must be pretty unusual! Harvest took place from 28 September to 4 October. Aged in 90% new oak."(2/2019)
- Item #: i_354192Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 90WINE ADVOCATE 90 POINTS - ""A highly regarded garage operation, Ferrand-Lartigue's 1998 exhibits a dark ruby/purple color as well as a tight but promising, internationally-styled bouquet of new oak, black fruits, and saddle leather. The wine is medium to full-bodied, with excellent purity, and clean, rich, concentrated flavors. Critics might argue that it is too 'international,' but it is an outstanding effort."
- Item #: i_345077Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 95Wine Spectator: 97James Suckling: 98JAMES SUCKLING 98 POINTS: "So much black truffle in the aroma here with blackberry and blueberry character, too. Full body, solid and stalwart. The layers of velvety tannins are impressive. I love the balance and energy to this. Underlines the greatness of 1998 for Pomerol and harks back to 1950. Just starting to be drinkable now."(3/2018)
WINE SPECTATOR 97 POINTS: "James Complex aromas of blackberry, fresh mushrooms, tobacco and wet earth. Full-bodied, soft and luxurious texture to this ripe and opulent wine. Long and decadent too. Just coming around now. Give it more time." (Web-2009)
DECANTER 96 POINTS: "This has real depth of flavour and intensity that keep you gripped from start to finish. Near to its perfect drinking window. Amazing freshness at 20 years old; you can feel the flesh of the soft autumnal berry fruit given an edge by the curling cigar smoke. A true Right Bank vintage – and even more clearly a true Pomerol vintage."(10/2018)
WINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS: "Deep garnet-brick colored and blended of 72% Merlot and 28% Cabernet Franc, the nose of the 1998 L'Evangile has the most intensely perfumed scents of potpourri, fallen leaves, Chinese five spice, camphor and new leather over a core of crème de cassis, prunes, star anise, dusty soil and tobacco with wafts of dried lavender and cinnamon stick. Medium to full-bodied, rich and decadent in the mouth, it has layer upon layer of spice and savory notions with a plush frame and refreshing lift on the finish."
- Item #: i_373620Bottle Size: 750MLROBERT PARKER 90 POINTS - "An evolved dark plum/garnet color is followed by captivating, sexy, raspberry, soy, Asian spice, kirsch liqueur, and toasty vanillin aromas. While not a blockbuster, this opulently-textured, medium-bodied effort is a model of elegance, harmony, finesse, and complexity. This wine's low acidity as well as wonderfully ripe fruit invite immediate consumption; it should last for 12-15 years."
- Item #: i_350430Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94WINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS - "A deep garnet core with deep brick rim. The nose has moderate intensity, not the exuberance and exhilaration of the Haut-Brion, but expressive, with notes of blackberry, tar, a touch of leather and bilberry. What it does not have is Margaux's signature aroma of violets - this is more reserved and masculine. The palate is medium-bodied, quite peppery upon entry with good acidity and balance, yet missing the femininity and the finesse that marks out say the 1999 or the 2001. The finish is quite dry, perhaps a little dour compared to other Chateau Margaux. Tasted March 2008."
- Item #: i_399910Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 96WINE ADVOCATE 96 POINTS: "The 1998 Pavie Decesse is medium to deep garnet-brick in color and explodes with fabulous plum pudding, prunes, blackberry preserves and blueberry pie notes with hints of smoked meats, garrigue, dusty soil, cast iron pan and star anise with dried roses and cinnamon stick wafts. Full-bodied, concentrated and packed with rich exotic spice and black fruit preserves layers, it has loads of mineral and meat sparks and a very, very long, layered finish. Incredible! For cellaring potential, I give it 20+ more years. (LPB) Inner quote mark (5/2018)"
- Item #: i_353417Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 93James Suckling: 93WINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS - "Outer quote mark Decadent aromas here, with meat, ripe fruit and spices. Full-bodied, with round, soft tannins and lots of spicy, earthy and leafy flavors. Long and rich."
JAMES SUCKLING 93 POINTS