- Item #: i_352133Bottle Size: 750mlCERTIFIED ORGANIC
Natural fermentation, low doses of sulfur, cement cuve, no wood; long fermentations, then wines are aged for 6 to 8 months on fine lees.
Antoine set out on a solo mission that consisted of a return to natural farming and winemaking, and getting Patrimonio drunk by those who care, away from the tourists and off the island. Mission accomplished, to put it mildly. After all these years, Arena is the reference point of wine merchants the world over for great Corsican wine. It has done more for Corsica and Patrimonio than anyone could have dreamed of. So what makes Carco so special? The path to greatness is wrought with trials and tribulations. In the early days, Antoine’s rouges were inconsistent—at times great, at other times hot and funky, as he experimented with various ways to battle the island’s excessive heat. The Carco blanc, though, was perfection from the start: timeless Vermentinu imbued with salt, sun, and rocks year in and year out. Through it all, Carco kept steady and won Corsica its proverbial seat at the table. Chris Santini, Kermit Lynch wine merchant
- Item #: i_354115Bottle Size: 750mlJulien Ilbert makes wonderfully vital and pure organic Malbecs, and this one is a selection of seven parcels on limestone and clay at 300m, vinified and aged in cement tanks. It features inky blue fruit, vibrant acidity and a grippy, sappy mouthfeel.
- Item #: i_345529Bottle Size: 750ML“Esprit Gassier” is the “Gassier Spirit” that combines the exceptional terroir of the Sainte-Victoire region with Côtes de Provence varietals to produce a wine that expresses the family’s passion, expertise and creativity. The beautiful label, designed by a local artist, is silk-screened on the bottle to create a striking package.
A very clear rosé with shades of peach; floral nose with white and yellow fruit notes (peach, apricot, pear); in the mouth, round and delicate with notes of white peach, mandarin and grapefruit.
- Item #: i_306007Bottle Size: 750ML"This is the elite cuvee of the estate relying as it does on grapes harvested from the oldest vines of the domaine (35 years and older). Principally composed of Cinsault, Grenache and Syrah, the "Chateau" bottling also sees the addition, from time-to-time of Tibouren, the ancient and regal Provencale grape. This Rose is produced via the "direct press" method and has a long cuvaison designed to produce a wine of character and concentration. Vinified in stainless steel and bottled in late winter - early spring, production is quite limited." MADROSE.COM
- Item #: i_333501Bottle Size: 750MLJeb Dunnuck: 95 PointsWe're excited to be able to offer one of our customer's favorite wines at great price! We sell cases upon cases of Dave Phinney's delicious wines from around the world, but now is a great time to stock up on the newly arrived 2016 vintage of D66. This is a hedonistic 95 Point wine Jeb Dunnuck calls a "bonafide blockbuster" which is "rich, opulent and decadent." We couldn't say it any better.
D66 is a blend of 80% Grenache and 20% Syrah which displays great depth and concentration. This crowd-pleasing wine dials up the intensity and boasts a round, rich texture with supple tannins and ripe blueberry, blackberry and kirsch flavors which are deeply satisfying.
D66 comes from the brilliant mind of Dave Phinney who is the creative genius behind the Orin Swift wines. Phinney has developed an almost cult-like following with his string of successes, which began with "The Prisoner" red blend. Although this put him on the map, Phinney has continued to create highly sought after labels such as Mercury Head, Palermo, Papillon, Abstract and Machete. The secret to his success lies in his ability to make bold and juicy wines, which have silky smooth tannins and are approachable upon release.
More recently, Phinney has focused his efforts on making wines in the Roussillon region of France. This region in the Southwest corner of France lies within Department 66, which serves as the inspiration and namesake for the winery and his vineyards in the town of Maury.
When Phinney first gazed upon these old vine vineyards, he couldn't believe his eyes. In his words, "When I awoke, what I saw was insane. I looked out my bedroom window and saw one of the steepest, oldest vineyards I had ever laid eyes on. I was in - hook, line and sinker. If this is what I could see from my bedroom, what else was out there? They were, perhaps the most amazing confluence of vineyards I've ever been exposed to."
He immediately set out to explore the area and purchased some terrific vineyards, which are the source of the grapes for this wine. As they say, the rest is history. Today, these wines are better than ever, boasting a refinement of flavor and texture that is seriously pleasing. This full-bodied, rich and lushly palated wine will satisfy those who enjoy Dave Phinney's other wines as it is definitely made in his "house style."
Fans of David Phinney and Orin Swift will be very pleased with this blockbuster, which has to be one of our greatest values in the store. Enjoy!
JEB DUNNUCK 95 POINTS - "The 2016 Cotes Catalanes D66 is a bonafide blockbuster from winemaker Richard Case that does everything right. Loaded with notions of ripe blackberry and currant fruits, chocolate, ground pepper, licorice, and leafy herbs, this puppy hits the palate with full-bodied richness and depth yet stays nicely balanced and light on its feet. Rich, opulent, and decadent are the buzzwords here, and it should keep for 7-8 years. The blend is 80% Grenache and 20% Syrah aged 12 months in barrel."
- Item #: i_352928Bottle Size: 750mlFrom a 3 hectare vineyard in the shape of natural amphitheatre at the foot of the Pyrenees in Jurançon. Dagueneau’s makes a limited number of bottles of dry wine from these beloved Jurancon hectares. The aim is to produce a wine that brings out the natural minerality of the soil and have balance, harmony and longevity. Concentrated, racy and extremely memorable.
- Item #: i_353480Bottle Size: 750mlThis deliciously balanced dessert wine from Didier Dagueneau is everything you want from Jurancon: it’s palate-coating, it’s acid-driven, and the RS is totally in check. Notes of juicy pineapple, canned peaches, and honeyed tropical fruits dominate the wine’s luscious yet sophisticated palate. No dessert? No problem. A pour of this is the perfect finish to a hearty meal.
- Item #: i_345007Bottle Size: 750ML"Marsanne (51%) is the dominant grape variety complemented by Clairette Blanc (31%) and some Ugni Blanc (18%). The vineyards to produce the white wine at Bagnol cover a bit less than 9 hectares and are planted on a gentle slope of clay and limestone soil with a north – northwest exposure. After a manual harvest, the grapes are destemmed and pressed; the fermentation continues for three weeks in cement cuves at a temperature controlled 18 degrees Celsius; the wine is vinified completely dry. The malo-lactic fermentation is blocked to preserve the freshness of the wine and the wine is normally bottled at some point between May and July of the following year. Total annual production is on the order of 40,000 bottles; somewhere between 6,000 and 9,000 bottles per year are dedicated to the US market." MADROSE.COM
Domaine du Bagnol Cassis offers intense minerality.The fresh mid-palate possesses a gracious, ample and silky, coating texture enhanced by beautiful, focused acidity and generous yellow fruit flavors, unripe white peach, touch of apple and zesty, lemon peel notes. The finish is racy, polished, intense and long.
- Item #: i_350802Bottle Size: 750mlThe first vineyards at Domaine de Fontsainte, in the Corbières appellation, were planted by the Romans. Artifacts found in these vineyards, such as an old coin dating from the time of Marcus Agrippa in 25 A.D., are a testament to its antiquity. He farms the land sustainably and keeps treatments to a minimum. Grenache and Syrah are de-stemmed by hand; Carignan goes through carbonic maceration.
- Item #: i_344226Bottle Size: 500MLWine Spectator: 90The ancient art of Banyuls is disappearing at a frightening pace. One of its great champions and longest-standing practitioners is the wonderful, charismatic Vincent Cantié. He is the spirit of Catalan culture personified, and he makes the best Banyuls money can buy. Made from ripe Grenache picked from steep, stony hillsides above the Mediterranean on the Spanish border, Banyuls is muted with neutral alcohol to stop fermentation and preserve some residual sugar to produce a glorious after-dinner drink. Its best friend is probably a walnut tart or a flourless chocolate cake. Thomas Jefferson loved Banyuls and so can you.
- Item #: i_350596Bottle Size: 750mlThe beauty of Novellum is it combines the perfectly-ripened fruit and richness you might find in a high-quality California Chardonnay with the brightness and minerality you expect in Burgundy. This combination makes it the perfect crossover wine which appeals to those who enjoy either California or French Chardonnay.
Domaine Lafage is on amazing roll where everything they touch seems to turn to gold; they are producing absolutely gorgeous wines. Lafage first came upon our radar with Bastide Miraflors, Narassa and Tessellae which have been huge hits. We emailed out the previous vintage of Novellum Chardonnay and our customers went nuts for it. We really enjoy this wine and feel it is an amazing value.
This is an excellent "Everyday Drinker" that you can open up during the week to enjoy with dinner or simply unwind with a glass on its own. Domaine Lafage's Novellum is a delicious wine, which would make a terrific case purchase.
- Item #: i_334105Bottle Size: 750MLWe are excited to announce the arrival of our allocation of the great red wines of Domaine Tempier. Regarded as perhaps the most profound and well known example of Mourvedre in the world, Domaine Tempier is the reference point for quality red wine production in Provence.
These wines are a special treat and just another reason why customers come to frequent Hi-Time. Domaine Tempier was "discovered" by renowned importer Kermit Lynch who recognized the wines as being singular wines of intensity and depth. Of course, we are great fans of Kermit Lynch and his name on a wine is a harbinger of great things to be found inside the bottle.
Although Provence is best known for its thirst quenching roses which tourists enjoy on holiday, it is the Mourvedre based blends of Bandol which capture our attention. Bandol is located between Toulon and Marseille in a favored spot inland of the nearby sandy beaches. Situated in a natural amphitheater, the vineyards are blessed with abundant sun and enough sea air to cool the vines during the heat of summer. Here, the late-ripening Mourvedre thrives, achieving ripeness and distinction. Aromatically expressive with dark fruit flavors and terroir-driven complexity, these wines are enticing.
Domaine Tempier produces the Bandol Rouge bottling as well as three single-vineyard wines. La Migoua, La Tourtine, and Cabassaou. All of the wines are full-bodied and seem to inhabit a different level of purity, structure and depth. They also have the ability to evolve over time, gaining complexity with time in the cellar.
- Item #: i_345384Bottle Size: 750MLCôte des Roses celebrates the Mediterranean lifestyle. The Languedoc appellation stretches along the Mediterranean coast from the Spanish border as far as the city of Nîmes, along the foothills of the Montagne Noire and the Cévennes. The soils are highly varied, mainly with hard limestone and schist, but also gravel transported by the rivers of the Languedoc region.
The warm, windy climate (“semi-arid Mediterranean climate with mild winters”) helps the grapes to ripen in good, healthy condition, while retaining all their fresher qualities thanks to the altitude and the influence of the sea which eases the scorching summer heat. The bottle is original with its base in the shape of a rose, created by a young designer from the Ecole Boulle. A wine to be given in the same way you would offer a bunch of roses!
A soft, pale, brilliant pink with bluish tints developing over time towards more orangey nuances. The bouquet releases aromas of summer fruits, cassis and redcurrant. Floral notes of rose along with hints of grapefruit complete the picture. The finish is fresh, offering notes of candy. On the palate the impression is fresh and full, with great aromatic persistence and balance.
- Item #: i_345444Bottle Size: 750ML"It's the most wonderful time of the year..." Of course, we are talking about Dry French Rose season which is just starting; we loved this one so much, we made it our wine of the month. Juliette comes from the Provence region of Southern France, home of the most exquisite and traditional rose wines in the world (and you'll see many more in the next few months!). Produced at the maison of Domaine de La Sangliere, Juliette is a true expression of a traditional Provencal rose wine.
The Style - Juliette is refreshing and elegant, bone dry rose wine, with layers of lively fruit and a bright, smooth finish-just the way a true rose wine from Southern France should be.
Tasting Notes - Elegant and pretty, soft fruits resonate in the nose with layers of mixed melons, plantain, ripe peach and a touch of creme fraiche. The palate is hugely lush yet tempered with acidity. Minerally notes and stone fruits dance with light brown spices and a touch of sea salt/salt air-and the finish echoes with gently receding fruit flavors.
Pairing Notes - Juliette is also an exceptional food wine that pairs with so many different types of cuisines. While Juliette serves an excellent stand alone aperitif wine, Juliette is a perfect pair for grilled fish, seafood, steamed fish, lobster, shellfish, bouillabaisse and other traditional Provencal cuisine.
- Item #: i_333398Bottle Size: 750MLLa Domitienne is the name of the ancient Roman road that once traveled through the Narbonne region connecting Italy to Spain. The winery is located in Languedoc close to the Mediterranean Sea, where the Mistral winds provide lift and freshness. Terrific notes of peach, strawberry and orange blossom on the nose. It is fresh and light on the palate, showing some floral notes and a rich core of peach pit. The wine finishes crisp and elegant.
- Item #: i_345898Bottle Size: 750MLJeb Dunnuck: 93 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 93 POINTS - "Almost all Grenache yet with 8% Syrah, the deep purple 2018 Narassa gives up a gorgeous bouquet of blueberries, kirsch liqueur, smoked game, violets, and lavender. It's rich, medium to full-bodied, beautifully concentrated, and has a great finish."
- Item #: i_350734Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 95 Points"Bastide Miraflors is a knockout bottle of wine" - Jeb Dunnuck
"I've raved time and time again about the quality -and value - coming from Domaine Lafage's Jean-Marc Lafage" - Robert Parker
"A round, opulent style, ripe tannins, and a blockbuster finish. It's one of the finest values out there" - Jeb Dunnuck
The 2018 Bastide Miraflors by Domaine Lafage is unquestionably one of the greatest values in the wine world. We have written several times about how great these wines are and the unbelievable quality to price ratio. It feels as if we are playing a broken record, but the hits keep on coming. We have sold a lot of this wine over the years, but somehow the 2018 manages to take the wine to an even higher level! To be honest, it's hard to believe how good this wine is for the price. This is full-bodied with lush, fully ripened dark fruit flavors which are deeply satisfying.
Noted wine critic Jeb Dunnuck totally agrees and awarded this wine a whopping 95 Points. He described this wine as "a knockout bottle of wine" and called it "one of the finest values out there." We totally agree and love its seamless and silky profile. This is one incredible value that needs to be tasted to be believed.
The 2018 Domaine Lafage Bastide Miraflors Vieilles Vignes is a blend of Syrah and Grenache from the Cotes du Roussillon which is bursting with fruit and enticing drinkability.
Domaine Lafage has created custom cuvees with its importer Eric Solomon and is producing absolutely gorgeous wines. Today, we are able to offer this fantastic, opulent beauty for under $13.00 each! We really enjoy this wine which has become one of our customer's favorite red blends in the store.
This blockbuster of a wine is absolutely a steal with amazing fruit, purity and one to buy by the case!
JEB DUNNUCK 95 POINTS - "Based on 74% Syrah and 26% Grenache brought up in in a combination of concrete tanks (for the Grenache) and one year old demi-muids (for the Syrah), the 2018 Cotes Du Roussillon Bastide Miraflors is a knockout bottle of wine. It offers loads of black fruits, roasted herbs, peppered meat, violets, and bacon fat as well as full-bodied richness, a round, opulent style, ripe tannins, and a blockbuster finish. It’s one of the finest values out there."
- Item #: i_354122Bottle Size: 750mlCertification: Organic Grapes: Marsanne with skin of Grenache Blanc/Grenache Gris/Vermentino/Roussanne/Viognier Region: Corbières, Languedoc, France Soil: Argilo-calcareous and round pebbles. Terroirs of Corbières Boutenac Vinification: The Marsanne is disrectly pressed. The Grenache Blanc skins, Grenache Gris, Vermentino, Roussanne, and Viognier are left to infuse on the skins for 1 month. Fermentation occurs spontaneously with indigenous yeasts. Sulfites: low addition at bottling From the Winemakers: A skin contact wine that introduces drinkers to a new era of infused wines
- Item #: i_333477Bottle Size: 750MLA blend of Grenache, Syrah, and assorted Bordeaux varietals
WINEMAKER NOTES - Opaque with ruby accents, the wine is intensely perfumed with aromas of vivid wild berry, warm spice, plum, kirsch, lavender and subtle oak nuances. The entry is juicy and penetrating with rich flavors of ripe blackberry, racy currant and blueberry that generously coat the palate. Easy drinking, the finish is long and clean with just the right amount of polished tannins to keep the fruit in focus.
- Item #: i_354123Bottle Size: 750mlCertification: Organic Grape: 100% Syrah Region: Maury, Roussillon, France Vinification: 100% destemmed. Fermented and aged in concrete tanks. About the Producer: Marc Barriot came to wine later in life but once he found it, he jumped in the deep end. His journey to starting Clot de l’Origine led him to Australia, the US, and all over France. After apprenticing in Bandol for four years he scooted southwest around the Mediterranean coast to the town of Maury in the Roussillon, finally finding a plot of land and a place he could settle down. He started with just one vineyard with old vines, but now has 17 in total, all farmed organically from the very beginning.