- Item #: i_379709Bottle Size: 750MLJOHN GILMAN VIEW FROM THE CELLAR 92 POINTS-"It had been a few years since I last tasted a bottle of Agrapart’s lovely “Les 7 Crus” cuvée. The wine is really lovely, offering up a pure and complex bouquet of apple, tart pear, chalky minerality, citrus zest and fresh-baked bread. On the palate the wine is deep, full-bodied, focused and complex, with a lovely core, elegant mousse, fine focus and a very long, zesty and perfectly balanced finish. This is one lower dosage bottling that is drinking with style and grace in its youth. 2016-2030."
- Item #: i_376767Bottle Size: 750mlTHE CHAMPAGNE GUIDE 95 POINTS - "I say 10% of the blend is from my blood!' declares Jean-Francois Clouet, who has changed the style of his family's rose to a fresher and more direct mood, not so soft, aiming for the lively impression of malic acidity, even though it goes through full malolactic fermentation. The result is arose that epitomises elegance and focus, in the midst of generous red fruits that characterise Bouzy and Ambonnay. This cuvee encapsulates the wonderful talent of Pinot Noir to build and rise on the finish, opening to wonderful characters of perfumed rosehip, pink pepper and pomegrate. An undercurrent of fine, chalk mineral texture, accurate line and persevering length define a pristine and enticingly priced rose."
- Item #: i_352326Bottle Size: 750mlIMPORTER'S NOTES-"100% Chardonnay. Dosage 8 to 9g/L. Blend of 2009 and 2010 vintages. Located in the Côte des Blancs, Bertrand Robert's family’s plots sit on some of the most prized terroir in the world, much of it in the Grand Cru territory of Le Mesnil-sur-Oger and Oger. Aromas of yeast, apple, walnut and fresh bread complemented by hints of white flowers and acacia. Complex, subtle and pure, offering precise minerality backed by citrus, stone fruit, brioche and ginger flavors. Finishes long and with a chalky texture.
It is hard not to be delighted by this bubbly’s fresh mix of white flower, acacia, and orchard fruit aromas. In the mouth this Champagne is vividly juicy and filled to the brim with ripe apple, white peach and nectarine flavors that are imbued with pervasive inflections of wet stones and seashells. The finish, which fades only with greatest reluctance, tantalizes with subtle glimmers of allspice, ginger and brioche.
The Robert family has been in the Champagne growing business for well over a century, but it wasn’t until 1961 that André Robert established the family’s own estate brand and production cellars. In 1997 André’s son Bertrand took over management of the operation. Today he farms some 27 acres split into dozens of tiny garden sized parcels. His vines average between 25-30 years of age with the lion’s share being Chardonnay planted in the Le Mesnil cru. Bertrand practices Viticulture Raisonnée, a protocol that emphasizes natural measures to control pests and rot with chemical treatments used only as a last resort. So once again, as we have seen with other top growerproducers, the quality of this Champagne is a natural outgrowth of family pride combined with generations of local knowledge along with a deep reverence for the land.
- Item #: i_376905Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 90Camille Savès is a still under the radar family run Champagne house in the village of Bouzy making small quantities of fine artisanally crafted Champagne. All fruit is sourced from the family's own 25 acres of vineyards, which include Grand Cru parcels in the Grand Crus of Bouzy, Ambonnay and Tours-sur-Marne. The vines are tended according to the principles of lutte raisonée and have an average age of nearly forty years. A blend of 60% Chardonnay, and 40% Pinot Noir 12% of which is Bouzy Rouge. All the vineyard parcels for this rose are located in Bouzy and are south-facing. The base vintage is 2012 blended with 20% reserve wine. After some three years of aging on the lees this bottle was disgorged in November of 2016 with a dosage of 9 g/l. There is a delightful, delicate red berry aroma on the nose and while amply textured, harmonious palate delivers a delectable panoply of red fruits toned by ample acids and chalk inflections.
- Item #: i_374657Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 92JOHN GILMAN 92+ POINTS-"Alexandre Chartogne’s Sainte Anne bottling hails from several different lieux à dits in Merfy and is fermented in stainless steel tanks, with indigenous yeasts and the current release is comprised of a fifty-fifty blend of Chardonnay and Pinot Noir. The current release is excellent, offering the tactile seriousness on the palate that is the calling card of all of Alexandre’s wines that I have had a pleasure to taste so far, along with superb, racy structure and impressive nascent complexity. The bouquet is a blend of apple, white peach, complex minerality, gentle brioche, white flowers and a bit of high-end smokiness. On the palate the wine is full-bodied, young and beautifully focused, with a rock solid core, great cut and grip, very refined mousse and outstanding length and grip on the primary finish. This is still very early days for this superb wine, so tuck it away in the cellar for at least a couple of years and let it blossom. Fine, fine juice."
- Item #: i_376254Bottle Size: 750mlWINE SPECTATOR 92 POINTS-'Tightly knit and exotic, with mouthwatering acidity and expressive accents of coconut, ground clove and tea rose to the flavors of yellow plum, lemon curd and graphite. Creamy and harmonious. Drink now through 2019. 4,000 cases made. (03/16)."
JOHN GILMAN 91+ POINTS"Nicolas Demière’s current bottling of non-vintage Blanc de Blancs is base year 2012 and the wine is absolutely singing at the present time. The dosage here is six grams per liter and the nose jumps from the glass in wide open constellation of pear, crème patissière, lovely chalkiness, a touch of fresh almond, gentle smokiness and a topnote of white flowers. On the palate the wine is deep, full-bodied, vibrant and rock solid at the core, with excellent focus and grip, lovely, frothy mousse and a long, racy finish. This is drinking very well indeed today, but will clearly last very well and it would be a fine bottle to lay down in the cellar as well. 2016- 2030. 91+."
- Item #: i_377844Bottle Size: 750mlWINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS-"[This] is a Chardonnay from five villages of the Côte des Blancs but is mainly sourced in Vertus (50%). The recent disgorgement from early 2018 (dosage: four grams per liter) is based on the 2012 vintage and includes 50% of reserve wines from vintages 2011 down to 2008. Intensely citrus colored, this is a pure, fresh, concentrated, very mineral and pure Chardonnay that still offers greenish citrus flavors. With great finesse and complexity on the palate, it is very elegant and pure as well as very long and expressive, with intense, powerful and well-concentrated but fresh and highly finessed fruit and vitality. There is lots of energy and tension here, lots of expression and length. Great complexity and vitality. This has huge aging potential. A great wine, indeed.(08/18)"
- Item #: i_377258Bottle Size: 750mlWINE SPECTATOR 92 POINTS-"-An expressive skein of ground spice is the aromatic highlight of this finely balanced blanc de blancs, offering a refined and creamy bead, layered with flavors of poached pear, candied lemon zest, honey and pastry. Drink now through 2023. 11/13."
PETER LEIM CHAMPAGNEGUIDE.NET-"This is 60 percent Montgueux and 40 percent Le Mesnil and Oger; 70 percent of the blend comes from the base vintage of 2009, with the other 30 percent being reserve wine from 2008. It’s round and rich, showing the intrinsic opulence of Montgueux Chardonnay, and its flavors of ripe peach and citrus are generous and accessible, persisting with good length and plenty of aroma. Last tasted: 2/13."
- Item #: i_317706Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 90PETER LEIM 2 STARS -"This is 82 percent Pinot Noir from Mareuil, Avenay Val d’Or, Bisseuil and Hautvillers, blended with 18 percent Mareuil chardonnay. Over half of the blend (53 percent) is reserve wine from 2013 and 2012, and with a trio of vintages like this, it’s no surprise that this is one of the finest editions of this cuvée that Hébrart has ever produced. Generous in body yet streamlined in shape, it’s marked by a silky texture and vibrant depth of fruit, offering both a strong Grande Vallée identity and sheer delicious appeal." Last tasted: 3/17
Importer Terry calls this THE unsung hero of his portfolio.
- Item #: i_325404Bottle Size: 750MLBurghound: 90TERRY THEISE +-"Yes, a plus. Shocked me too. This is 65% 2008, so maybe not so shocking after all. It’s unsurprisingly delicious, with ‘08’s silvery lift and a white-flower talc-y coolness. This is the best NV I’ve tasted here, and yes I did notice a small note of oxidation but I saw it as “antique” rather than decadent. And let’s remember: how many NV grower Champagnes have an 8-year old wine as the youngest year in the blend???"
- Item #: i_374559Bottle Size: 750mlA blend of 50% Chardonnay, 40% Meunier,this wine has an unusually fine mousse and terrific elegance, fruit and stony salinity. This is Sélèque’s flagship wine, representing nearly half of the total house production.
- Item #: i_378213Bottle Size: 750mlJAMES SUCKLING 92 POINTS-A pinot-dominant blend (70 per cent) that has a flavorsome array of berries and brioche on the nose with light, spicy nuances, too. The palate has attractive, vinous, fleshy presence, some chalky oyster-shell notes and a crisp, dry, succulent finish. Drink now." (09/18)
- Item #: i_379019Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 92WINE SPECTATOR 92 POINTS - "Bright and creamy, this well-balanced Champagne offers flavors of white peach, pear, candied grapefruit zest and pastry, joined by a briny hint of oyster shell. The firm acidity presents itself as a lively zestiness that is very appealing."
- Item #: i_378902Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 90WINE SPECTATOR 90 POINTS - "Pretty strawberry, ripe cherry, lemon curd and pastry notes mix in this firm rosé, offering lip-smacking acidity, with smoke and chalk notes on the finish. Disgorged January 2013. Drink now through 2016."
- Item #: i_337890Bottle Size: 750MLPure grand cru Chardonnay from the chalky, cool soils of Cramant in the Côte de Blancs. Lemon curd, lightly toasted brioche, green tea highlights. Long, savory and seductive; a captivating non-vintage wine that can age with the best of vintage bottles. Generally winemaker Michael Chauvet adds 30% reserve wine; aged for five years on fine lees. Dosage less than 9 grams/L.
- Item #: i_332410Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 92WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "The NV Brut Rose Premier Cru offers an enticing floral life to its notes of mint, roses, pomegranate and sweet spices. This powerful, mineral-driven wine possesses tons of depth and personality in a vinous style that will blossom to the fullest at the dinner table. The Champagne continues to grow in the glass, suggesting it is still holding much of its potential in reserve. This is another compelling wine from Guy Larmandier. The estate’s Rose is based on the Brut Premier Cru blend, plus about 12% still Pinot from Vertus."
From writer Peter Liem: ""This estate is related to both Larmandier-Bernier, in Vertus, and Pierre Gimonnet, in Cuis, as well as to Waris-Larmandier in Avize. Guy Larmandier's brother, Philippe, was the father of Pierre Larmandier, proprietor of Larmandier-Bernier. Guy's sister, Françoise Larmandier, married Michel Gimonnet, father of Olivier and Didier Gimonnet, who run the estate of Pierre Gimonnet today. Currently the Guy Larmandier estate is in the hands of Guy's son, François. François's sister, Marie-Hélène, is married to Vincent Waris, and together they formed the estate of Waris-Larmandier, although Marie-Hélène divides her time between the two estates. Larmandier's cuvées are separated by terroir: from the vines in Vertus, Larmandier produces a non-vintage brut, packaged in a white label and composed of 90 percent chardonnay and 10 percent pinot noir. This also serves as the base for the brut rosé, made with the addition of red wine from Vertus. "
- Item #: i_377141Bottle Size: 750mlWINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "Its fruit sources spanning all of the prominent villages along the Cote des Blancs in which they have holdings is what prompted Larmandier-Bernier's NV Extra Brut Blanc de Blancs Longitude to acquire its current name. (It was long simply referred to as the estate's "Blanc de Blancs.") Nutty, herbal suffusion of pear, lemon, and green zebra tomato makes for a succulently juicy as well as intriguing cuvee that contrasts sharply - no doubt as intended – with the corresponding "Latitude" bottling. Here we haven't the aromatic fireworks - though a haunting evocation of flowered, grassy meadow emerges as the wine sits open - but there is an especially fascinating mid-palate exchange with, in part, ineffable elements of broadly mineral nature, leading to a finish of remarkable salivary compulsion and sheer length. This exceptional value in Champagne should merit following for at least 3-4 years."
- Item #: i_374176Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 90ANTONIO GALLONI 94 POINTS -"The NV Brut Rosé is another compelling wine in this range from Margaine. Pliant and creamy on the palate, with terrific energy, the Rosé is alluring from the very first taste. There is palpable sense of power without excess weight that makes the Rose truly sublime. A fine mousse and vibrant red berry fruit add to the wine's allure. And there is plenty of that to go around. Disgorged: April 2018."
- Item #: i_325707Bottle Size: 750MLElodie Bosser is a fanatic about working only with best possible fruit and making sure that its quality is reflected in the finished product. A blend of 60% Chardonnay and 40% Pinot Noir, this is a forward and engaging Champagne that greets one with fresh aromas of biscuits, lemon curd and poached pears. Refreshingly crisp, but not austere in the least, the palate presents a well-meshed melange of peach, lemon drop and mineral notes followed up with a well-tapered finish of toast and baking spices. Simply put, Brut Tradition is a versatile and crowd-pleasing Champagne that exudes a class rarely found in its price range.
- Item #: i_377638Bottle Size: 750mlDisplaying fine bubbles and a deep straw color, this Brut is a blend of 85% Pinot Noir and 15% Chardonnay. It beckons the taster with effusive aromas of wild strawberries, red currants, and mandarin oranges. Ample and extroverted on the palate with Queen Anne cherry, apricot, and citrus sensations that gather pleasing inflections of chalk and stones in the long-play finish. Rich and harmonious, this easy drinking Champagne performs the deft trick of being sleek and well-toned at the same time. Wonderful all on its own but possessing the gravitas and red berry flavor profile that is tailor-made to work wondersl with rich Holiday fare.
Fifth-generation vignerons Didier and Thierry Vesselle proudly follow the footsteps of their father, Maurice Vesselle, and the classic, grower-Champagne house-style he started in 1955. These talented but humble récoltants-manipulants might go unnoticed if it weren’t for their fabulous vineyards from the Montagne de Reims appellations of Bouzy and Tours-sur-Marne—known for producing some of Champagne’s finest Pinot Noir. The duo is part of the avant-garde of Champagne’s sustainable viticulture movement, and they have earned the rigorous HVE III Certification (High Environmental Value) by the European Union for their high standards in sustainable farming. In the cellars, the brothers prefer quick fermentations without malo but employ long, costly élevages for up to five years in order to attain the texture and complexities that can only come from such aging. As Didier Vesselle says, "...the mark of a great wine is when you can finish it without even realizing it. It should be easy to drink."
- Item #: i_377422Bottle Size: 750mlNathalie Falmet is one of few women in Champagne to hold the title of both vigneron and oenologist, and she fulfills both roles in her small family domaine in Rouvres-les-Vignes in the Côtes des Bar. After studying chemistry at Paris XI and earning diplomas in both viticulture and oenology, Nathalie inherited and began farming 50% of the vines planted by her parents, vines where she walked and worked alongside her father as early as eight years old.
WINE ADVOCATE 91 POINTS-"The NV Brut is made of 50% Pinot Noir, 30% Chardonnay (both 2011) and 20% Reserve (from a Soléra started in 2009). Its refined aromas of bright fruits migrate to a very light and delicate first palate. This Champagne is dry (dosage: seven grams per liter) and firmly structured, but really fine and elegant, and provided with a good length and subtle mineral flavors.
- Item #: i_374328Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 90WINE SPECTATOR 90 POINTS - "A lively sparkling rosé, with a bright, citrusy overtone to fruit-forward flavors of strawberry puree and black raspberry, showing accents of biscuit, walnut skin and gumdrop. Drink now through 2016."
- Item #: i_378904Bottle Size: 750ml"Diapason" is the new name for Pascal’s Le Mesnil cuvee. The idea and name stem from the concept of bottling one terroir, "Mesnil", so you experience one pure note of Champagne, just as a diapason (French for tuning fork) gives you one pure note. This edition is 75% 2007, 21% 2006 and rest 2005. It was disgorged in July of 2017 with a modest dosage of 5 g/l. Fragrant aromas of citrus fruits mixed with notions of ginger and brown spices dominate the nose. The palate brims with pear, lemon drop, and patisserie inflections that are silky and harmonious. The minerality that one associates with this famous village emerges nicely in the enduring finish.
"Pascal Doquet's organic Champagnes are of great precision and among the very best that the Côte des Blancs has to offer. Highly recommended."-The Wine Advocate