- Item #: i_353801Bottle Size: 750mlAnne Gros simply is one of the top winemakers in Burgundy today, which explains why her wines have inspired such a cult-like following. Importantly for us, Gros personifies the sort of winemaker with whom we have always sought to work: an artisan with a clear vision of her terroir and talents, and the grace to be humble despite the weight of Burgundian tradition and family history.
- Item #: i_350552Bottle Size: 750mlSubtle, harmonious - Burgundy from Domaine Anne Gros is intimately tied with the elegant and poised character of wines from Vosne-Romanée.
While each cru faithfully reflects its terroir, it is terroir as translated through Gros’ expert touch, offering richer aromatics, rounder curves, silkier tannins. The combination is irresistible, so much so that Gros’ very limited production is snapped up by global collectors faster and faster each vintage.
Anne Gros simply is one of the top winemakers in Burgundy today, which explains why her wines have inspired such a cult-like following. Importantly for us, Gros personifies the sort of winemaker with whom we have always sought to work: an artisan with a clear vision of her terroir and talents, and the grace to be humble despite the weight of Burgundian tradition and family history.
Anne Gros cares for her vineyards according to “lutte raisonée” principles, adhering to organic practices as much as possible depending on the conditions of the growing year. Grapes are always harvested by hand. Juice is fermented on indigenous yeasts in lined (enameled) cement tanks for the reds, and in stainless steel tanks for the whites. Wines are aged in barrel for approximately 16 months, with 80 percent new oak for grand cru wines, 50 percent for village wines and 30 percent for regional wines.
- Item #: i_351097Bottle Size: 750mlDaniel Defaix makes delicious Chablis that he only releases when fully mature. He eschews wood, instead keeping the wine in stainless steel, stirring up the lees to get complex biscuity flavours, combined here with soft richness. Developed, mature style.
- Item #: i_353887Bottle Size: 750mlThis plot lies over 7 ha, all in once. A vineyard with all the characteristics of a great terroir of Chablis: sunny exposure, Kimmeridgian limestone soil and 70 year-old vines. Ripeness can be achieved without losing the typical salty character of the terroir..
Food pairing The wine you would dream to have with the best seafish or a farmhouse chicken.
- Item #: i_353460Bottle Size: 750mlDecanter: 94WINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS - "Jean-Claude Bessin only makes 5,000 bottles of this old vine cuvée from a lieu-dit within the larger Fourchaume Premier Cru. Combining stainless steel and oaked components, it's rich, concentrated and appealingly honeyed, with subtle wood spices, a thread of minerality and a pure, focused, enticingly balance finish. These are never wines that have to try too hard."
- Item #: i_351619Bottle Size: 750mlThe name "Sous Éguison" refers to the cliff above the vineyard. The cliff offers protection from the North winds, which is a significant advantage given how harsh the climate is and how bitter the Spring frosts are at this altitude. The natural growth cycle of the vines is also slower and the grapes mature a full week later than at lower levels. The vineyard was planted by Caroline Lestime on a terroir which gives the Chardonnay varietal great power. This cuvee expresses the tradition and experience of great quality.
- Item #: i_353303Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 90WINE ADVOCATE 90 POINTS - "Aromas of green pear, fresh peach and hazelnuts introduce the 2018 Saint-Aubin Compendium, a medium to full-bodied, satiny wine that's racy but open-knit. Charming and already expressive, this will drink well on release."
- Item #: i_345411Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 90-92WINE ADVOCATE 90-92 POINTS - " Tribut's 2018 Chablis 1er Cru Beauroy is very promising, bursting with notes of mandarin orange, green apple, freshly baked bread and oyster shell. On the palate, it's medium to full-bodied, ample and expansive, with a fleshy, nicely concentrated core, lively acids and a saline finish."
- Item #: i_352797Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 91-93WINE ADVOCATE 91-93 POINTS - "Notes of white flowers, apples, oyster shells and wet stones preface the 2018 Chablis 1er Cru Côte de Léchet, a medium to full-bodied, satiny and impressively incisive wine in this warm vintage, with plenty of chalky extract and a mineral finish. At this early stage, the Côte de Léchet looks to be one of the premier cru highlights of the vintage."
- Item #: i_353653Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 90WINE ADVOCATE 90 POINTS - "Already bottled, the 2017 Saint-Aubin Cuvée Luce exhibits notes of green orchard fruit, pastry cream, white flowers and ripe citrus fruit. On the palate, the wine is medium-bodied, nicely concentrated and incisive with a pure, nicely balanced profile. It's a classic example of the appellation."
- Item #: i_352768Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92+WINE ADVOCATE 92+ POINTS - "A generous bouquet of marzipan and ripe pears that's subtly framed by new wood introduces the 2017 Pouilly-Fuissé En Bertillonne, a medium to full-bodied, deep and muscular wine that's textural and blocky in profile, with ripe underlying acids and a heady finish. Its structure and concentration are impressive, but it will merit a little bottle age."
- Item #: i_352548Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 90There's not a whole lot of Chardonnay vines planted in Marsannay - who better to farm them than one of the masters of the region - Sylvain Pataille.
Sylvain Pataille is one of those rare vignerons whose hard work and dedication has elevated the overall quality and public perception of the wines in his village. Sylvain, and his brother Laurent, now farm 15 hectares of vineyards located exclusively in Marsannay. They have been pushing hard to designate some of the special terroir there as 1er Cru, and it will likely happen soon. When you shake Sylvain's hands you are reminded that these are hands that work really hard! They are rough as sandpaper because he is out in the vineyards 11 months of the year. Sylvain is also a very talented chemist who so excelled at his classes in Bordeaux that he in the consulting enologist at 15 or so great domaines in Burgundy including Domaine Roumier in Chambolle-Musigny and Chateau de la Tour in Clos Vougeot. He is very passionate and devoted to his domaine in Marsannay which he built from nothing. His first vintage was in 1999. Like Bruno Clair he is an indefatigable champion of the village of Marsannay. Sylvain has been organically certified since 2008, and has been employing biodynamics in the vineyards and cellar for over a decade. With the exception of small amounts of sulphur when needed, there are no additions whatsoever. His wines are both “natural” and completely classic . . . black magic!