- Item #: i_350487Bottle Size: 1.5LWine Advocate: 98Wine Spectator: 95Decanter: 95 PointsWINE ADVOCATE 98 POINTS - "A blend of 81% Cabernet Sauvignon and 19% Merlot, this wine represents only 34% of Lafite's total harvest. In a less than perfect Medoc vintage, it has been spectacular since birth, putting on more weight and flesh over the last year. This opaque purple-colored 1998 is close to perfection. The spectacular nose of lead pencil, smoky, mineral, and black currant fruit soars majestically from the glass. The wine is elegant yet profoundly rich, revealing the essence of Lafite's character. The tannin is sweet, and the wine is spectacularly layered yet never heavy. The finish is sweet, super-rich, yet impeccably balanced and long (50+ seconds). Anticipated maturity: 2007-2035."
- Item #: i_311500Bottle Size: 1.5LROBERT PARKER 99 POINTS "2009 Cheval Blanc tips the scales at just under 14% natural alcohol. Its dense blue/purple color is accompanied by an extraordinary nose of incense, raspberries, cassis, sweet forest floor and a subtle hint of menthol. Opulent and full-bodied with low acidity but no sense of heaviness, this dense, unctuously textured, super-smooth, velvety, pure, profound Cheval Blanc is impossible to resist despite its youthfulness. Anticipated maturity: 2018-2050+."
- Item #: i_350270Bottle Size: 1.5LWine Advocate: 99WINE ADVOCATE 99 POINTS - "A brilliant offering from the Mentzelopoulos family, once again their gifted manager, Paul Pontallier, has produced an uncommonly concentrated, powerful 2009 Chateau Margaux made from 87% Cabernet Sauvignon and the rest primarily Merlot with small amounts of Cabernet Franc and Petit Verdot. As with most Medocs, the alcohol here is actually lower (a modest 13.3%) than most of its siblings-. Abundant blueberry, cassis and acacia flower as well as hints of charcoal and forest floor aromas that are almost Burgundian in their complexity are followed by a wine displaying sweet, well-integrated tannins as well as a certain ethereal lightness despite the wine's overall size. Rich, round, generous and unusually approachable for such a young Margaux, this 2009 should drink well for 30-35+ years."
- Item #: i_311503Bottle Size: 1.5LWine Advocate: 99+ROBERT PARKER 99+ POINTS - "The 2009 Mouton Rothschild has a striking label from Anish Kapoor. The wine is a blend of 88% Cabernet Sauvignon and 12% Merlot that begs comparison as a young wine with what the 1982 tasted like in 1985 or, I suspect, what the 1959 may have tasted like in 1962. Representing 50% of their production, the wine has an inky purple color to the rim and not terribly high alcohol for a 2009 (13.2%), but that is reflected by the high percentage of Cabernet Sauvignon. It has a remarkable nose of lead pencil shavings, violets, creme de cassis and subtle barrique smells. It is stunningly opulent, fat, and super-concentrated, but the luxurious fruit tends to conceal some rather formidable tannins in the finish. This is an amazing wine that will be slightly more drinkable at an earlier age than I thought from barrel, but capable of lasting 50 or more years. Kudos to the Baroness Philippine de Rothschild and the entire Mouton team, lead by Monsieur Dalhuin."
- Item #: i_351524Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 98Wine Spectator: 98WINE ADVOCATE 98+ POINTS: "Roumier’s 2009 Bonnes-Mares is without question one of the wines of the vintage. Firm yet beautifully integrated tannins provide the backdrop for the highly nuanced, expressive aromas and flavors that emerge from the glass. All the elements are in the right place in this extraordinary, moving wine. At times the Bonnes-Mares comes across as very powerful, at other times it is quite sensual. In other words, it is pure magic in the glass. Burgundy fans will flock to the Musigny because of its rarity but there is a very real possibility that the Bonnes-Mares will outshine it over time. Anticipated maturity: 2019-2039."
WINE SPECTATOR 98 POINTS: "Complex, fragrant aromas of sandalwood, jasmine and black cherry, with flavors to match, converge in this tightly grained, muscular red. Detailed and pure, showing balance and energy. The lingering finish promises the full potential, leading to a long sweet fruit and mineral aftertaste. Best from 2016 through 2036. *Collectibles* (BS) (6/2012)
BURGHOUND 96 POINTS: " This is also remarkably fresh with very ripe but not over ripe aromas of cassis, spice, stone and raspberry liqueur. There is a palpable sense of energy running through the rich, powerful and brooding broad-shouldered flavors that benefit from a huge dollop of dry extract that pushes the very firm tannic spine to the background on the explosive and youthfully austere finish that possesses genuinely outstanding length. I very much like the balance here and this should age effortlessly for decades.