- Item #: i_334081Bottle Size: 750MLVinous Media: 91VINOUS 91 POINTS - "Opaque ruby. Powerful cherry and blackberry aromas pick up smoky mineral and floral qualities as the wine opens up. Weighty, in the manner of the vintage, but showing very good energy as well, offering gently sweet black currant, cherry and violet pastille flavors that firm up slowly on the back half. Dusty tannins come in late on the finish, which hangs around with suave floral and spice notes. This wine is quite civilized both for the appellation and for the vintage."
- Item #: i_351292Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 91Vinous Media: 92VINOUS 92 POINTS -- "Deep, bright-hued violet. Fresh dark berries, candied flowers, allspice and a hint of blood orange on the expansive nose. Sappy and appealingly sweet, offering pliant cherry and black raspberry flavors that deepen and spread out quickly with air. Delivers a suave blend of power and finesse and finishes very long and smooth, with bright, mineral-driven thrust, silky tannins and lingering floral and spice notes."
- Item #: i_333771Bottle Size: 750MLVinous Media: 93VINOUS 93 POINTS - "Brilliant violet color. A suave, mineral-accented bouquet evokes ripe red/blue fruits and candied flowers and a spicy nuance builds in the glass. Bright, seamless and appealingly sweet, offering concentrated yet lively raspberry and boysenberry flavors that firm up slowly with aeration. Ripe but graceful in style, finishing gently tannic and impressively long, leaving a sexy lavender pastille note behind."
Michel Chignard is a modest perfectionist who has been practicing his craft for 4 decades. His son, Cédric, now oversees the domaine with as much care as his father. The Chignard family is fortunate to own vineyards in one of the best sites of the Fleurie appellation in Beaujolais; "Les Moriers" is a 8 hectare parcel that extends into Moulin-a-Vent territory. These 60 year old vines have roots that run deep accessing minerals from the granite subsoil thus imparting that classic Fleurie freshness and "gout de terroir".
This wine beautifully expresses the terroir of "Les Moriers"; it is fresh and playful, with deep ripe fruit and finesse.
- Item #: i_351643Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "Bouland's 2018 Chiroubles bursts with aromas of ripe blackberries, red plums, violets and cracked black pepper. On the palate, it's medium to full-bodied, ample and layered, with a succulent core of fruit, fine concentration and a long, lip-smacking finish. An especially gourmand rendition of this cuvée, it hails from a steep hillside site and is matured in tank."
- Item #: i_353650Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "The entire contents of the five-year-old foudre that contains Bouland's 2018 Morgon Pré Jourdan were reserved by his US importer, so overseas consumers may have a hard time finding this superb wine, which hails from lieu-dit near the village in the direction of Fleurie. Aromas of blackberries and spices mingle with notes of rose petals, violets and potpourri in a bouquet that has taken on a discrete patina from its comparatively new foudre. On the palate, the wine is medium to full-bodied, layered and succulent, with fine and powdery tannins, ripe acids and a perfumed finish."
- Item #: i_354043Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "The 2019 Morgon Bellevue Sable is showing beautifully, wafting from the glass with aromas of raspberries, cherries, orange rind and plums. Medium to full-bodied, supple and succulent, it's bright and fleshy, with powdery tannins and a generous core of fruit, girdled by lively acids. Bottled only a week before I tasted it, I suspect it will perform even better with six months' bottle age. As readers will remember, this cuvée comes from younger vines, planted on Viala rootstock in sandy soils—as the "Sable" newly added to its label makes clear."
- Item #: i_353088Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94WINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS: "Unwinding in the glass with aromas of rose petals, sweet red cherries, dried flowers and ripe strawberries, the 2018 Fleurie Poncié is medium to full-bodied, lively and enveloping, with a charming, fruit-driven profile this year that tends to obscure its elegantly fine-boned tannic chassis. But don't be fooled, this is reliably one of Chermette's finest cuvées, and the 2018 rendition should evolve gracefully for 15 years or more."
- Item #: i_353036Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94WINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS: "The 2018 Moulin-à-Vent Les Trois Roches is also showing very well, exhibiting an inviting bouquet of black raspberries, spices, candied peel and peonies. On the palate, it's full-bodied, satiny and enveloping, with a deep and concentrated core of fleshy fruit that largely conceals the wines tannins. This is another terrific effort from Chermette in this gourmand, attractively immediate vintage."
- Item #: i_352950Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 90VINOUS 92 POINTS - "Vivid magenta. Expressive red/blue fruit aromas are complemented by suggestions of candied flowers, smoky minerals and baking spices. Juicy and expansive on the palate, offering intense black raspberry and boysenberry flavors that tighten up slowly on the back half. Finishes long and smooth, showing excellent clarity, well-knit tannins and resonating floral and mineral character."
WINE ADVOCATE 90 POINTS - "From vines in Quincié and named after Breton's daughter, the 2018 Beaujolais-Villages Cuvée Marylou reveals a lovely bouquet of cherries, citrus zest and strawberries. On the palate, it's medium."
- Item #: i_351449Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 93VINOUS 93 POINTS - "Shimmering, youthful purple. Mineral-accented cherry and black raspberry aromas are underscored by a spicy element that builds as the wine opens up. Sappy and focused on the palate, offering appealingly sweet dark berry and spicecake flavors along with complicating suggestions of licorice and candied violet. The spice and floral notes build steadily through an impressively long, smooth finish, which is framed by harmonious tannins that fold slowly into the wine's intense fruit. Many of these vines are over a century old now."
- Item #: i_360689Bottle Size: 750mlThe wine is classic Foillard: smooth and seductive, with rose petals, red cherry, and a granite crunch to remind you of the noblesse of these slopes. Featuring vines from the communes of Lancie, Saint-Amour, Saint-Jean-d'Ardieres, Perreon, and Regnie-Durette, this is the real Beaujolais-Villages, further set apart from simpler Beaujolais by the touch of a master vigneron.
- Item #: i_345398Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 94We are thrilled to offer two fantastic Beaujolais from the exciting 2019 vintage. These refreshing red wines from Jean-Marc Burgaud immediately caught our attention when we tasted them and were blown away by the purity, intensity and freshness of the fruit.
We previously featured the Burgaud's Lantignie from the prior vintage and it was quickly snapped up by our savvy customers. This time, we were able to purchase the Lantignie as well as the Morgon Cote du Py. They are both delicious, satisfying examples of high-quality Beaujolais and offer tremendous value as well!
William Kelley of the Wine Advocate also loved both wines awarding the Lantignie 92 Points and calling it "one of the region's finest values." Lantignie is considered one of the best villages due to its hillsides and granite soil which produces a wine with a bright ruby color and a fresh and fruity nose. The vines range between 40 and 100 years of age.
The Morgon Cote du Py received a score of 94 Points with Kelley calling it "another of Burgaud's real successes this year." This wine offers increased depth, complexity and a very long finish. It is a tremendous example of the quality to be found at the Cru Beaujolais level. The Cote du Py is located on a hillside near the tiny village of Morgon. The vineyards average 50 years of age and are planted in rich soil of blue stones coming from decomposed schist.
Further praise followed with Kelley stating, "The more I taste Jean-Marc Burgaud's wines, the more I find to admire. A winemaker at the peak of his powers, Burgaud has abandoned new oak in favor of seasoned wood, and extraction is more measured than in the past, with his classical semi-carbonic macerations ranging from between seven and 15 days in duration, depending on the cuvee. And there's just one bottling of each wine, making for rare consistency."
Winemaking is traditional at this domaine with Jean-Marc practicing organic and refusing to use chemical fertilizers or insecticides. He respects the land, plowing the soil and harvesting by hand. The finest grapes are selected with whole bunch maceration taking place in vats (both stainless steel and concrete vats are employed) followed by aging in used wood.
The popularity of Gamay from Beaujolais increases every year. What's not to like with beautiful, juicy fruit such as dark cherries framed by silky tannins? Beaujolais is a fantastic medium-bodied culinary partner and is often served with turkey, chicken and traditional fare served during the holidays. It is also deeply satisfying to enjoy on its own.
These wines are among the best you will find in Beaujolais and the quality to price ratio is hard to beat. We are happy to offer these eminently drinkable, refreshing Beaujolais at great prices.
WINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS - "The 2019 Morgon Côte du Py has turned out beautifully, delivering an inviting nose of smoky black cherries, cassis and licorice. Medium to full-bodied, bright and lively, it's deep and concentrated, with a fleshy core of fruit underpinned by tangy acids. This is another of Burgaud's real successes this year."
- Item #: i_354206Bottle Size: 750mlCertified organic and practicing dynamic.
JAMES SUCKLING 92 POINTS - "Very attractive aromas of black cherries, brambleberries and wet earth follow through to a medium to full body with layers of fruit and a flavorful finish. Mushroom and dry-earth undertones at the end. A solid Beaujolais from a low-intervention artist. Drink now."
- Item #: i_334204Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 94WINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS - "The 2018 Moulin-à-Vent Dernier Souffle is showing beautifully, bursting with aromas of orange rind, blackberries, cherries and spices. Medium to full-bodied, velvety and layered, it's deep and concentrated, with notable mid-palate volume, tangy acids and powdery tannins. Long and penetrating, this is a fabulous wine from Richard Rottiers that's well worth seeking out."
- Item #: i_354149Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94WINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS - "From a lieu-dit that touches Fleurie, next to Alain Coudert's Clos de la Roilette, the 2018 Moulin-à-Vent Montperay from Richard Rottiers is showing superbly, wafting from the glass with aromas of cherries, rose petals, violets and spices. On the palate, it's medium to full-bodied, velvety and layered, with lively acids and superb concentration, conveying an impression of completeness and balance that ranks it—for my palate—as one of Rottiers's finest wines in the last handful of years."
- Item #: i_354291Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92+WINE ADVOCATE 92+ POINTS - "Just bottled, the 2019 Moulin-à-Vent opens in the glass with a pure and youthfully primary bouquet of raspberries, red cherries and sweet wild berries. Medium to full-bodied, deep and layered, it's still tightly wound, but its concentration and energy bode very well for its positive evolution."
- Item #: i_352532Bottle Size: 750mlSébastien and Charlotte Congretel named their 2.5 hectare Domaine L’Épicurieux after the Greek philosopher Epicurus, who taught that the object of life is balanced pleasure derived from tranquility and harmony. Not surprisingly, this is a very apt description for their balanced and highly pleasurable Beaujolais. After a career working on oil rigs, Sébastien decided in 2015 to become a vigneron in Beaujolais, where Charlotte’s family make wine. The couple acquired some parcels in Morgon and Régnié and made their first vintage in 2016. As befits a couple that adopted a Greek philosopher’s name, Sébastien and Charlotte follow a very thoughtful and principled approach to their viticulture. They adhere strictly to organic standards and are moving toward biodynamic certification. Even now, their Cru Beaujolais wines most assuredly qualify as “natural”.