- Item #: i_350937Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96+James Suckling: 96Jeb Dunnuck: 98WINE ADVOCATE 96+ POINTS - "Deep purple-black, the 2016 Bellevue Mondotte has a dark, seductive, opulent nose of star anise, cumin seed, dried roses, incense and cedar chest over a core of plum preserves, baked blueberries, dates and Christmas cake plus hints of unsmoked cigars and tapenade. The full-bodied palate is a behemoth of fruit with a rock-solid frame to match, featuring firm, grainy tannins and bold freshness, finishing very long and very spicy."
JEB DUNNUCK 98+ POINTS - "One of the standouts from the Right Bank is the 2016 Bellevue Mondotte, a powerful, full-bodied, structured effort that offers incredible minerality in its blackcurrant, graphite, new leather and burning ember-like aromas and flavors. A blend of 90% Merlot, 5% Cabernet Franc, and 5% Cabernet Sauvignon, from tiny yields and brought up all in new oak, it has remarkable purity and freshness, and is locked and loaded on the palate. Give this monument in the making 4-5 years of bottle age and it will cruise for 2-3 decades in cold cellars."
- Item #: i_352274Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 95James Suckling: 96Wine Enthusiast: 95 PointsJeb Dunnuck: 95 PointsJAMES SUCKLING 96 POINTS - "The aromas are very complex with sweet tobacco, black truffles, blueberries and blackberries. Subtle. Menthol, too. Full-bodied yet so elegant. Structure with finesse and purity. The tannins are melted in the wine. Fabulous young wine. Try tasting it from 2023."
- Item #: i_353772Bottle Size: 750mlDagueneau are renowned for being one of the most innovative estates in the Puilly-Fumé appellation, pushing the boundaries of winemaking to obtain superb results with Sauvignon Blanc. Only very tiny allocations of this wine are available, so grab them while you can. Citrus and grapefruit aromas dominate with a tinge of smoky gunflint; beautiful texture and roundness.
- Item #: i_344011Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 90-92Wine Spectator: 90-93Vinous Media: 89-92ROBERTPARKER.COM 90-92 POINTS: "The Domaine de Chevalier 2016 Blanc has a somewhat delicate, nuanced bouquet this year, one that demanded gentle coaxing from the glass. It reveals delineated aromas of green apple, gooseberry and kiwi fruit, flintiness tucked just behind. The palate is well balanced and slightly Burgundy-like on the entry (strangely, not unlike a Nuits-Saint-Georges Blanc!). It opens nicely in the glass but never looses its head. The palate is well balanced with crisp acidity and fine delineation, with pretty lemongrass and shaved ginger notes judiciously sprinkled over the finish. It is a Domaine de Chevalier Blanc that I would be inclined to consume in its youth rather than cellar, but hey, you never know the longevity of these wines; they can always surprise you."
WINE SPECTATOR 90-93 POINTS: "Bright and fresh, with a rounded edge to the mix of lime curd, verbena, green plum and quinine flavors. On the weighty side of the spectrum, but has the freshness for balance." –JM
VINOUSMEDIA 89-92 POINTS: "Domaine de Chevalier's 2016 Blanc is unusually soft and silky, words I can't believe I’m writing about a young vintage of this reference-point white. Creamy, ample and inviting, the 2016 should drink well pretty much right out of the gate. These wines have a track record of aging for decades; I imagine the 2016 might have a slightly shorter life than other recent vintages, but not by much. The only thing missing is the delineation and explosive energy that, in the best vintages, makes the Blanc one of the world's most distinctive and pedigreed whites." -- Antonio Galloni
- Item #: i_351618Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 94TIM ATKIN 95 POINTS - "Damaged by hail in 2014 and by frost in 2016, this is not the luckiest of Côte de Beaune vineyards but there’s no denying the exceptional quality of its best wines. Made with 66% whole bunches and 40% new wood, it’s a rich, smoky, densely layered wine with bloody, ferrous tannins and supporting fruit sweetness. 2022-32."
VINOUS 94 POINTS - "(one-third vendange entier; 40% new oak; just racked following a very late malo): Healthy medium red. Compelling aromas and flavors of redcurrant, iron, rose petal and minerals. At once silky and penetrating, with its sweetness perfectly balanced by harmonious acidity. Shows captivating rose petal perfume throughout. The seriously tannic, floral finish displays real length and grip. This wine should age beautifully but even today there's no hardness. The crop was reduced by about 30% due to the frost, noted winemaker Sieve.'
WINE SPECTATOR 94 POINTS - "The 2016 Pommard 1er Cru Les Rugiens Cuvée Hubert apparently had a very late malolactic that did not finish until September or October. Similar to the previous two vintages, it comes from the lieu-dit "Les Rugiens-Bas." It has a complex and inviting bouquet with black cherries, crushed rose petals and undergrowth aromas, just a suggestion of dried blood emerging with time. The palate is medium-bodied, the 40% new oak is absorbed by the fleshy red fruit, and it is adorned with a lovely, ferrous finish. Drink over the next 15 or 20 years."
- Item #: i_351887Bottle Size: 750mlThis small but outstanding domaine was created in 1840 by the great-grandfather of Régis Forey, the current proprietaire.
This fine Grand Cru is from a Forey-owned parcel of three-tenths of a hectare. The precise site is in the climats of “Les Treux” and “Clos Saint Denis” which generally are geographically between “Les Suchots” and “Les Grands Echezeaux”. One third of the vines were planted in 1949 with the rest being planted in two waves: 1974 and again in 2004.
The wines are bottled unfined and unfiltered after spending 16 to 20 months in small oak barrels and demi-muids (used primarily for the village and simple Bourgogne appellations) with 20% to 50% new oak used depending on the structure and the character of the vintage as well as the amount produced of each individual cuvée.
- Item #: i_351992Bottle Size: 750mlThe vines are cultivated using non-certified organic methods
By ageing with just 20% in new barrels, and the rest in barrels that have held one, two or three wines, we preserve the unique character of the terroir. This is a Premier Cru with a nose of mimosa honey, Turkish Delight, followed by flowers, carnation-lilac-violet, bergamot-nutmeg spice… a mouthfeel of poached white fruits, grilled hazelnuts, white chocolate, sappy, sensual, an intense finish, long in the mouth.
- Item #: i_351266Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 93WINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS - "A rich style, with lemon cake, apple and sweet spice flavors buoyed by vivid acidity. There is concentration and intensity midpalate, and the finish lingers, concluding on a mineral note. Drink now through 2024. 50 cases imported."
BURGHOUND 92 POINTS - "This is also quite reduced and unreadable. Otherwise there is fine richness to the seductively textured and caressing middle weight flavors that display more obvious minerality on the mildly austere, bone dry and focused finale where a hint of wood surfaces."
- Item #: i_351207Bottle Size: 750mlThe Lafarge's have been vignerons in Volnay since the 18th century. They started bottling in the early 1900's, a rarity for a small estate. They have had loyal customers for generations, selling their own wine in barrels to Parisian restaurants as far back as the 1850's. Their history may not be as visible as a Domaine de la Romanee-Conti but is perhaps even more remarkable. For it is easier, if not less honorable, for people whose income does not solely depend on an estate to pursue quality. And it is also harder to allow oneself to slip when one is constantly in the limelight. The greatness of these wines will hit you after you've visited the whole vintage, after you're familiar with everybody else's take. It's a year later and you've tasted back and forth throughout the Cote, you've done your work, you're intellectually armed. You spot that bottle of Lafarge. You know the estate intimately, you're a fan. What could possibly surprise you more than it being excellent. But at the first sip, the word genius escapes in a whisper. Because these wines are exactly what the vintage should be. And this, vintage after vintage, come rain or shine. The wines of Domaine Michel Lafarge are infallible. And they are so great they don't come to you, you have to work up to them.
- Item #: i_351140Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 94WINE SPECTATOR 94 POINTS - "On the darker side of the ledger, with currant and blackberry fruit laced with mesquite, bay leaf, iron and tobacco notes. A light smoldering charcoal hint through the finish melds with the fruit and other components. Best from 2020 through 2038. 83 cases made, 6 cases imported."
Francois Villard La Brocarde comes from vines planted on the Cote Blonde with up to 13% Viognier in the blend. The wine takes its name from the La Brocarde lieu-dit. The berries are whole cluster fermented and up to 30% of the grapes are destemmed. The wine is aged in between 80% new, French oak barrels to 100% new, oak, depending the character of the vintage. The wine spends close to 18 months in barrel before bottling. The production is quite small as only 100 cases are produced in an average year.
- Item #: i_351458Bottle Size: 750mlBURGHOUND 91 - 94 POINTS - "A brooding nose only reluctantly reveals notes of ripe and ultra-fresh dark currant, earth and a smoked game nuance. There is outstanding density to the powerful, robust and bold big-bodied flavors that possess seriously good concentration where the sap does a good job of buffering the very firm tannic spine shaping the superbly persistent finish. This is textbook Vaucrains and as such, it's going to need extended."
- Item #: i_351051Bottle Size: 750mlBurghound: 92-95STEPHEN TANZER, VINOUS 91 - 93 POINTS - "(this fruit was picked in early October, destemmed but not crushed, and vinified with virtually no extraction, according to Mounir Saouma, who added that production was down 50% from a normal year): Bright red-ruby. Pure but restrained aromas of dusty stone and violet; I thought I smelled something of volcanic origin, but perhaps it was just a remaining touch of reduction. The palate conveys excellent depth to the flavors of raspberry, spices, violet and milk chocolate. Very complete Volnay if a bit youthfully bound-up. Finishes with serious, broad, dusty tannins and excellent length."
- Item #: i_351463Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 98 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 98 POINTS - "Similarly colored to the classic cuvée, the 2016 Châteauneuf-du-Pape Quet is 80% Grenache and 20% Mourvèdre. It offers a huge, rich, powerful style that never goes over the top and stays balanced and graceful. Currants, toasted spices, caramelized beef, and exotic notes all flow to a massively textured, powerhouse of a wine that has a stacked mid-palate, a bombastic personality, and a great finish. It needs two to three years of bottle age but is an incredible, heady, powerful wine."
- Item #: i_351391Bottle Size: 750mlBURGHOUND 90 93 POINTS - "A restrained and beautifully spicy nose offers up notes of purple fruit, violet, anise and a hint of wood toast. There is good muscle, punch and power to the middle weight plus flavors that exude a fine bead of minerality on the beautifully persistent finish. This is a blend of power and refinement though at least some patience will be necessary. *Outstanding*"
- Item #: i_354229Bottle Size: 750mlDecanter: 90 to 95 point scoreDECANTER 93 POINTS: "A reserved nose of lemon and lime zest, crème pâtissière, toasted nuts and toasted wheat introduce an intense, concentrated and full-bodied wine. It's ampler than the Clos de la Maltroie, with a glossily textural attack, pure and deep at the core."
- Item #: i_321874Bottle Size: 750mlMade in diminutive quantities, this is the first Rosé de Saignée "Special Club" produced. This comes from another 100% Meunier vineyard in Cuisles called Le Bouts de la Ville. It has wonderful aromas of red currant, blood orange, minerals, vanilla. There is great cut on the palate, impeccable balance, tons of dry extract, on the uncanny long finish.
- Item #: i_352084Bottle Size: 750mlDecanter: 90 to 95 point scoreDECANTER 92 POINTS - "The Santenots is a success this year, with a classic bouquet of creamy cassis and black fruit, followed on the palate by a rich, powerful wine with a firm chassis of tannin and good balancing acidity. While this will need time, it should reward the patient."