- Item #: i_353279Bottle Size: 1.5LWine Advocate: 95-97Decanter: 90 to 95 point scoreWINE ADVOCATE 95-97 POINTS - "Another in a string of top vintages, Beaucastel's 2018 Chateauneuf du Pape was produced from Grenache yields of only eight hectoliters per hectare ("normal" is about 28 hectoliters per hectare, according to Marc Perrin). The final blend I was shown is almost candied in its fruity intensity of raspberries and cherries, yet it has a potent underpinning of more savory elements, like tapenade, grilled meat and dried spices. Full-bodied, with fine, silky tannins, this shows tremendous length, reverberating with hints of crushed stone on the finish."
DECANTER 95 POINTS - "A tight and compelling tannic structure, muscular and knitted down at this stage, rich and concentrated with blackberries and olive paste. Needs a few years, but already you can discern the floral aromatics that overlay the core, and this is going to evolve into a beautiful Beaucastel."
JEB DUNNUCK 94 POINTS - "Moving to the reds, the 2018 Châteauneuf Du Pape showed nicely with a deep ruby/purple color as well as classic Beaucastel aromas and flavors of darker currents, blueberries, smoked meats, black licorice and roasted herbs. With medium to full-bodied richness, a pure, clean, elegant texture, sweet tannins, and a great finish, this seamless, elegant Beaucastel will be approachable in its youth, yet still have 20+ years of prime drinking."
- Item #: i_354096Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 97Jeb Dunnuck: 97 PointsWINE ADVOCATE 97 POINTS - "Almost entirely Grenache from two old-vine parcels that include more sand than the domaine's other plots, the 2018 Chateauneuf du Pape le Secret de Sabon is intoxicating just to smell—not because of the alcohol levels, but because of the enveloping aromas that combine rose petals and lavender with apricots and black cherries and drizzles them all with wisps of dark chocolate and coffee. It's full-bodied but paradoxically light in feel, with silky, gossamer-like tannins that give the wine a pillowy shape and feel on the palate, then linger elegantly on the long finish."
JEB DUNNUCK 99 POINTS - "While the 2018 Châteauneuf Du Pape Le Secret Des Sabon isn’t going to match the 2016 and 2017, it’s nevertheless a beautiful wine that’s a candidate for the wine of the vintage. A fabulous perfume of black raspberry and cassis fruits as well as notes of peppery garrigue, smoked game, and Asian spices flow to a full-bodied, beautifully concentrated, ripe, yet also seamless 2018 that has more depth, richness, and length than just about every other wine in the vintage. A field blend of mostly Grenache brought up in foudre, this sensational Châteauneuf du Pape can be enjoyed anytime over the coming 15 years or more."
- Item #: i_353441Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94-96Jeb Dunnuck: 97JEB DUNNUCK 95-97 POINTS - "A step up, the 2018 Gigondas Hominis Fides offers slightly more mid-palate depth and richness as well as full body, ripe, polished tannins, and stunning notes of blackberries, ground herbs, peppery garrigue, and loamy soil. This fleshy, opulent, sexy wine does everything right."
WINE ADVOCATE 94-96 POINTS - "Bold scents of asphalt and cassis appear on the nose of the 2018 Gigondas Hominis Fides. Like the other 2018s here, it's a big, concentrated and powerful wine. In this case, it's loaded with intense fruit and backed by waves of rich, velvety tannins, yet it finishes with zesty-briny notes and tremendous length."
- Item #: i_353440Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95-97Wine Spectator: 97WINE SPECTATOR 97 POINTS - "Everything about the all-Grenache 2018 Gigondas le Claux is big. From the huge black cherry and blackberry fruit, to the insane levels of concentration, the rich, velvety tannins and the never-ending, licorice-tinged finish, this beauty should evolve positively for at least a decade and a half."
- Item #: i_353442Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96-98WINE ADVOCATE 96-98 POINTS - "Given the intensity of every cuvée at this estate, I was blown away by the elegance shown by the 2018 Gigondas le Poste. Violet and aniseed aromas accent plum and black cherry fruit, while this full-bodied wine is creamy-velvety in texture, with a long, silky finish that folds in distinct salted-licorice notes. Wow!"
- Item #: i_352485Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96-98Jeb Dunnuck: 99 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 96-99 POINTS - "Moving to the 2018 Châteauneuf Du Pape Collection Charles Giraud, it checks in as 60% Grenache and 40% Mourvèdre brought up in demi-muids. It’s a more structured wine than the Reserve Auguste Favier and boasts killer notes of ground pepper, graphite, spice box, and blackberries. With a huge core of sweet fruit, a layered, seamless texture, full body, and more concentration and depth than most in the vintage, it’s up with the top 2-3 wines out there in 2018."
WINE ADVOCATE 96-98 POINTS - "The 2018 Chateauneuf du Pape Collection Charles Giraud is the usual blend of approximately 60% Grenache and 40% Mourvèdre. It's dark and rich, with flavors of black cherries and plums joined by hints of tree bark and perhaps even a bit of mushroom. Full-bodied and velvety, it's powerful, concentrated and long on the finish, folding in subtle chocolate notes."
- Item #: i_354089Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96Jeb Dunnuck: 95WINE ADVOCATE 96 POINTS - "From century-old Grenache in a section of la Crau with safre-based soils, the 2018 Chateauneuf du Pape Cornelia Constanza was matured in concrete (60%) and foudre (40%). Explosive notes of black cherries and licorice mark the nose, while the full-bodied palate is ripe and welcoming without going over the top. You'll want to watch the serving temperature carefully so it doesn't get too warm, but the tannins are supple and silky. Dense and concentrated, this is serious stuff, with awesome length on the slightly chocolaty, spice-inflected finish. I wouldn't bet on it aging more than a decade, but as an early-drinking mouthful of decadence, it's tough to beat."