- Item #: i_352991Bottle Size: 750mlWINE ADVOCATE - "Aromas of smoky plums, raw cocoa, strawberries, herbs and a subtle framing of new oak introduce the 2017 Volnay 1er Cru Les Santenots-du-Milieu, which is medium to full-bodied, ample and open-knit, with light back-end tannin and a profile that's strongly marked by whole-cluster vinification."
- Item #: i_352762Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 96-98Decanter: 96VINOUS 96-98 POINTS: "The 2017 Clos de Tart Grand Cru was matured in around 80% new oak, the barrels toasted chauff blonde. Jacques Desvauges mentioned that the wine needed oxygen ingress during maturation that only new oak can give. I tasted the component parts (as usual) as well as the blend. This has a very detailed, delineated bouquet offering mainly black fruit mixed with sous-bois, tobacco, clove and bay leaf, the typicité of the appellation showing through nicely. It feels very succinct and yet so fresh. The palate is beautifully balanced on the entry with a killer line of acidity. Pure black cherry fruit is joined by bilberry, hints of black olive and a marine/oyster shell tincture that comes through quite strongly toward the persistent, saline finish, which fans out with confidence. This is a brilliant follow-up to the benchmark 2016 by Jacques Desvauges and his team."
DECANTER 96 POINTS: "Despite what has been written about high yields in the Côte de Nuits in 2017, Jacques de Vauges made less Clos de Tart than he did in 2016. Picked much earlier than it used to be when Sylvain Pitiot was in charge, this is a fine, focussed, nuanced wine that expresses the complexity of this monopole grand cru. With deftly integrated 60% whole bunches and 80% new wood, it's elegant, floral and precise with chalky freshness."
- Item #: i_351017Bottle Size: 750mlDecanter: 93DECANTER 93 POINTS: "This is only the ‘basic’ Chambolle from de Vogüé, but the estate made such an impressive array of wines in 2017 that it's well worth seeking out. Deeply coloured for a 2017, this old-vine village red shows François Millet's mastery of the vintage. It's vibrant, precise and deftly oaked, with 15% new wood and a crunchy red cherry and raspberry finish."
- Item #: i_351370Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93-95Vinous Media: 96 PointsDecanter: 96DECANTER 96 POINTS: "The older vines in de Vogüé's extensive 7.2ha in Musigny date back to 1953 and make a wine that's considerably weightier than the young-vine cuvée. This is very deep and intense in colour, exhibiting layers of dark bramble and black cherry flavours and a backbone of precise, chalky, mouthwatering acidity. A wine that needs time to digest its 35% new wood."
VINOUS 94-96 POINTS: "The 2017 Musigny Vieilles Vignes Grand Cru has a very expressive, complex bouquet, the mélange of red, blue and black fruit making it difficult to identify a single dominant color. Blueberry, wild strawberry and black currant intermingle, and hints of sea spray and touches of orange blossom develop with time. The harmonious, silky palate is almost like a Romanée-Saint-Vivant in texture, offering great depth and an energetic, peppery finish that lingers long in the mouth. A divine Musigny that will deserve some bottle age."
BURGHOUND 93-96 POINTS: "An openly exotic nose offers glimpses of black cherry liqueur, ginger, Asian-style tea, sandalwood and orange peel. The tighter and much more mineral-driven big-bodied flavors also possess evident muscle on the powerful and dense yet beautifully refined finish that goes on and on. This is also a bit less structured though with that said, this is going to need at least 15 years to reach its apogee. In a word, terrific."
- Item #: i_352753Bottle Size: 1.5LVinous Media: 96 PointsDecanter: 96DECANTER 96 POINTS: "The Mortets' five parcels here cover 1.2ha in all, and run from the top of the Combe de Lavaux to the bottom, close to the Clos St-Jacques. Fermented without whole bunches, this is another superb red from Arnaud Mortet, now established as one of the best red winemakers in Burgundy. It's juicy, textured and crunchy, with the acidity that's typical of the terroir and deftly handled 80% new wood."
- Item #: i_351387Bottle Size: 1.5LVinous Media: 93 PointsDecanter: 93DECANTER 93 POINTS: "The five terroirs in question here are Champ, En Derée, Vellé, Combes du Dessus and En Motrot, all of which are on the north side of Gevrey-Chambertin. This is always one of the best village Gevreys on the market, easily as good as many producers' premiers crus. With 15% whole bunches and 30% new wood, this is a balanced, spicy, pithy red with glossy tannins, freshness and stylish oak."
- Item #: i_352754Bottle Size: 750mlDECANTER 96 POINTS: "The Mortets' five parcels here cover 1.2ha in all, and run from the top of the Combe de Lavaux to the bottom, close to the Clos St-Jacques. Fermented without whole bunches, this is another superb red from Arnaud Mortet, now established as one of the best red winemakers in Burgundy. It's juicy, textured and crunchy, with the acidity that's typical of the terroir and deftly handled 80% new wood."
- Item #: i_350608Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93-95Vinous Media: 97 PointsDecanter: 97DECANTER 97 POINTS - "Like the domaine's Bonnes Mares parcel, this 0.25ha block used to belong to Domaine Newman, but has hit even greater heights under the hand of Arnaud Mortet. Beautifully judged, this is the work of a winemaker at the peak of his game, showing subtle (40%) whole-bunch notes with black cherry and blood orange fruit, sinuous tannins and a bright, tangy finish."
WINE ADVOCATE 93-95 POINTS: "2017 Mazis-Chambertin Grand Cru is the fourth vintage of this grand cru that Arnaud Mortet has produced and it's a lovely wine, offering up notes of dark wild berries, orange rind, peonies and spices. On the palate, it's full-bodied, ample and layered, with excellent depth and dimension, framed by fine-grained tannins that assert themselves on the elegantly chalky finish. Mortet manually destemmed a quarter of this cuvée, cutting out the stems and retaining the pedicels."
- Item #: i_350609Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 96 PointsDecanter: 96DECANTER 96 POINTS: "This remarkable 0.35ha parcel used to belong to Domaine Newman but is now an established part of the Mortet range. All located on white soils on the larger Chambolle-side of Bonnes Mares, this is showing its 70% new wood at the moment but has the structure and concentration to soak it up. It's sappy, savoury and fine, with a palate-pleasing red fruit sweetness and underlying minerality."
- Item #: i_350607Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96DECANTER 96 POINTS: "Located just below Château de la Tour in what Arnaud Mortet calls 'the best part of the lower part of the Clos', the domaine's parcel runs to 0.35ha. Made with 30% stems and 70% new oak, it's very much a clay-derived style with plenty of texture, smooth tannins and layers of sweet, sensuous red berry fruit."
- Item #: i_350398Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 95 PointsDecanter: 95DECANTER 95 POINTS: "Simply labelled as premier cru because it combines three parcels (Petite Chapelle, Cherbaudes and Bel Air), all of them planted with old, low-yielding vines. This is another superb release from Arnaud Mortet, made with 30% while bunches and aged in 70% new wood. It's a sweet, plush, succulent red with fine-boned tannins, glossy dark berry fruit and a long, polished finish."
- Item #: i_350603Bottle Size: 750mlBurghound: 90-92Its position close to “Lavaux-Saint-Jacques”, gives a fruity, fresh wine with excellent structure. The cold factor of the valley bestows this wine with superb length on the palate.
- Item #: i_353090Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 92 PointsDecanter: 92BURGHOUND 92 POINTS -" A more restrained nose reluctantly offers up a bit more deeply pitched nose of violet, plum and anise hints. The sleek, delicious and beguilingly vibrant medium weight flavors culminate in a dusty, complex and sneaky long finish. While this is labeled as a villages, it performs at a 1er level."
DECANTER 92 POINTS -"Dominique Lafon uses his young-vine fruit from Santenots and En Champans to make this delightfully drinkable village Volnay. Crunchy, fresh and vibrant, it has pomegranate and wild strawberry fruit, gentle, fine-grained tannins and some sweet spice from 20% new wood."
- Item #: i_351626Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 90-92BURGHOUND 92 - 94 POINTS - "A beautifully layered nose offers up notes of liqueur-like plum, warm earth and a lovely array of spice and floral elements. The exceptionally rich and generously proportioned flavors are unusually seductive in the context of what is typical for the appellation, all wrapped in a velvety, sappy and palate coating finish where a hint of wood appears. This too should drink well young."
WINE ADVOVCATE 90 - 92 POINTS - "The 2016 Bonnes Mares Grand Cru was perhaps the one grand cru that I felt was a little disjointed and did not quite deliver the vivacity of the Chapelle-Chambertin or Latricières. It includes 40% whole bunch fruit and was depleted by 30% because of the frost, but it just came across a little dolorous at the moment. The palate is medium-bodied with fine tannin. This feels a little foursquare and conservative and just needs more of the flamboyance and blue fruit you associate with this vineyard. Maybe this Bonnes-Mares just got stage fright on the day I visited? They’ve done it! “What have they done, exactly," you rightfully ask. Well, Drouhin-Laroze has finally produced a clutch of wines commensurate with their stellar array of holdings. Without wishing any disrespect to Philippe Drouhin, since first encountering their wines in the late nineties, myself and other mavens felt that they were a bit 'over-produced.' Maybe picked too late? Certainly they were often burdened with an excessive use of new oak that obfuscated terroir, and when you have half a dozen grand crus under your wing, that is a shame."
- Item #: i_350573Bottle Size: 750mlDecanter: 96DECANTER 96 POINTS > - "The 300-metre rows in the domaine's 4ha of Champans run from the top to the bottom of the slope, taking in both brown and red soils. The result is a very complete, self-assured expression of the premier cru, showing the focus and delicacy of a classic Volnay. Silly, sweet and shimmering on the palate, it has very good depth and the concentration to age."
- Item #: i_353393Bottle Size: 750mlFrom importer Kermit Lynch: Jean-Marc’s wines certainly express a certain depth and sumptuousness, however his wines also show focus and restraint. Their elegance and amazing precision lend themselves to long aging in the cellars. Jean-Marc loves cooking believes the strong mineral backbone of his wines and their fresh acidity marry well with food. This is why one is more likely to find their wines in restaurants rather than in wine shops.
- Item #: i_353648Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92-94Vinous Media: 94 PointsDecanter: 94DECANTER 94 POINTS - "This old vine cuvée from a 0.72ha parcel is typical of the domaine's style: feminine if you like, or just fragrant and elegant. Showing subtle reduction that promises a bright future in bottle, it's chalky, minerally and precise with focussed red fruit flavours and lacy tannins."
WINE ADVOCATE 92-94 POINTS - "From a warm site that typically produces the most accessible of Berthod's premiers crus, the 2017 Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru Aux Beaux Bruns soars from the glass with aromas of ripe raspberries and cherries that mingle with nuances of licorice, rose petals and dark chocolate. On the palate, the wine is medium to full-bodied, ample and generous, with a gourmand and expressive core of fruit, velvety tannins and succulent balancing acids. Reminiscent of Barthod's terrific 2000, this will be hard to resist in its youth, but it should see out its 20th birthday in style."
VINOUS 92-94 POINTS - "The 2017 Chambolle-Musigny Aux Beaux Bruns was the first to be picked this year, partly because the vineyard tends to suffer more millerandage. The bouquet offers black brambly fruit laced with violet and iris aromas. The palate is one of the most structured from the domaine this year, offering layers of mineral-rich black fruit and real tension toward the finish. Quite cerebral – and superb."
- Item #: i_353646Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92-94Vinous Media: 96 PointsDecanter: 96DECANTER 96 POINTS - "Ghislaine Barthod's two parcels of Charmes are both in the more southerly part of the premier cru and can make one of the more reticent wines in her line up. That's far from the case here though, as this is all about rose petal and summer berry aromas with bright, vivacious acidity, subtle 30% new oak integration and a sweet, lingering finish."
VINOUS 92-94 POINTS - "The 2017 Chambolle-Musigny Les Charmes 1er Cru was showing some reduction on the nose when I tasted the wine from barrel. The palate is medium-bodied with sorbet-fresh red fruit, wonderful backbone and tension and just a touch of sherbet toward the vivacious finish. This will turn into a pretty Chambolle."
WINE ADVOCATE 92-94 POINTS - " Barthod's 2017 Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru Les Charmes unfurls in the glass with the quintessential Chambolle bouquet of raspberries, rose petals and sweet spices, with only subtle hints of the savory complexity to come with bottle age. On the palate, the wine is medium to full-bodied, layered and expansive, with a deep and ample core of succulent fruit framed by fine, delicately chalky tannins, concluding with a long and beautifully delineated finish. It's an impeccable wine that once again evokes the brilliant 2000 rendition."
- Item #: i_353647Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92-94Vinous Media: 92-94VINOUS 92-94 POINTS - "The 2017 Chambolle-Musigny Les Gruenchers 1er Cru comes replete with veins of blue fruit on the nose, perhaps giving just a little nod toward Vosne-Romanée in style. The palate is medium-bodied with quite grippy tannin compared to the domaine’s other crus. It feels quite saline and peppery toward a finish with a long aftertaste. This is one of their more intellectual offerings this year."
WINE ADVOCATE 92-94 POINTS - "The 2017 Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru Gruenchers is a stunning success, bursting with aromas of Griotte cherries, raspberries, rose petals, wild plums and blood orange. On the palate, the wine is medium to full-bodied, satiny and beautifully pure, with a deep core of superbly vibrant and well-defined fruit. Its ample mid-palate is framed by elegantly melting tannins, concluding with a long and fragrant finish. Heavily frosted in 2016, the Gruenchers returns with a vengeance this year."