- Item #: i_379442Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 90DECANTER MAGAZINE 97 POINTS-"A blend of 65% Pinot Noir consisting of Premier and Grand Crus from the Montagne de Reims and the Vallee de la Marne and 35% Chardonnay from the Cote des Blancs. Significantly, this has nine years ageing on its lees (longer than some Prestige Cuvees), the 2008 was first released onto the global market back in March 2019. With an Extra Brut dosage of 4g/l, this is a highly expressive, confident and convincing interpretation of the vintage. Right now, it is youthfully sharp and focused with fine salinity, depth, acidity and balance, and as such is already extremely approachable. The flavour spectrum encompasses toast, oyster shell, citrus, cream and a flinty, mineral depth. There’s supreme balance and elegance here, combined with a hidden underlying power that will continue to emerge and broaden with time. The finish is dry and long."
- Item #: i_352682Bottle Size: 375ml**Please note, this is a half sized bottleFor such a fervent perfectionist and insatiable lover of details as Jean-François, the decision to have the domaine certified as biodynamic was a natural choice. Jean-François creates a stunning number of cuvées, ranging between thirty-five and forty every year! His methodology goes far beyond the details of the average vigneron. Savagnin or Savagnin blanc is a variety of white wine grape with green-skinned berries. It is mostly grown in the Jura region of France, where it is made into Savagnin wine or the famous ... The story starts with the ancient Traminer variety, a green-skinned grape ... The Gringet of Savoie has no link with Savagnin blanc.
- Item #: i_376540Bottle Size: 750mlWINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS-"Fermented in used barrels with blocked malolactic, Doyard's 2008 Extra Brut Blanc de Blancs Grand Cru saw 108 months on the lees before it was disgorged with three grams per liter dosage. Wafting from the glass with a complex bouquet of gingerbread, warm biscuits, citrus oil, dried white flowers and a delicate hint of olorosso sherry, it's medium to full-bodied, deep and incisive, with an racy spine of acidity, a concentrated core of fruit and a long, searingly intense and delicately sapid finish. The subtle oxidative qualities lend it an appealingly old fashioned feel. As Doyard followers may know, this cuvée derives from Mesnil-sur-Oger, Cramant, Avize and Oger."
IMPORTER'S NOTES - "The Champagne Blanc de Blancs Millésime 2008 by Doyard is produced from the attentive selection of Chardonnay, coming only from the Grand Cru villages of the renowned Côte des Blancs, more precisely in Mesnil, Oger, Avize and Cramant. Only grapes from the best vintages turn into this Champagne Blanc de Blancs, resulting in output of just 650 6-pack cases a year. Dosage is 3g/l for this delicate and mineral Champagne Extra Brut."
- Item #: i_325701Bottle Size: 750MLThe Forest-Marie Vintage 2008 is made up of a 50/50 blend of Pinot Noir and Chardonnay. This comes entirely from two south facing parcels Chaillots & Mont des Chrétiens of calcareous soils that have an average vine age of 67-80 years. The grapes were hand harvested and fermented in stainless steel for 20-30 days with spontaneous and cultured yeasts, malolactic was allowed to happen. After fermentation was finished, the wine was aged for 8 months with 29 mg/L of sulfur before being bottled under crown cap on March 23, 2009. This bottle was disgorged to order on August 1, 2019 and finished with a dosage of 6.85 grams per liter.
- Item #: i_325728Bottle Size: 750MLBurghound: 93TERRY THEISE 2 PLUSES - "This may be the sexiest wine JB [Jean-Baptiste Geoffroy] has made; pure straw and hawthorne and a complex and stylish minerality, iris and plantatain lead into a finsish so intricate it's nearly heart-rendering. Perfect balance into a glowing farwell."
A blend of 58% Chardonnay and 42% Pinot Noir disgorged 02/16.
ANTONIO GALLONI 92 POINTS - "Geoffroy's 2008 Brut Cuvée Volupté is pointed and tightly wound, with persistent veins of minerality that give the wine its spine. Even so, there is no shortage of breadth and pure power. With time in the glass, the fruit blossoms nicely. There is plenty of vintage 2008 character, even if the Volupté at times tilts towards the burlier side of things."
- Item #: i_359280Bottle Size: 750MLGuy Larmandier is a small artisan grower based in the southern Côte des Blancs village of Vertus that was discovered by famed wine importer Neal Rosenthal back in the early 1980s. Despite this long association and decades of consistently high quality, the firm remains something of an “insider’s secret” with an under-the-radar media profile. “Signe Francois” the firm’s tête de cuvée has earned the top spot on our best Champs of the year list because it masterfully exudes the depth, breadth and balance that one associates with the elite Champagnes of the stellar 2008 vintage-- all at a price that is shockingly low. Neal Rosenthal writes: “[This] is produced from their oldest parcels of Chardonnay in the grand cru village of Cramant (along with a small amount of fruit from a holding in the Grand Cru Chouilly), and it spends a full five years on the lees before disgorgement. No dosage is present in our version of the 2008, but one would never even know it is missing--the wine’s depth and richness is extraordinary, voicing the sappy and dense character of the fruit François wrests from these old vines. Notes of pear tart, fresh figs, baked apples, and cherries frame a vibrant, expansive palate, and the wine’s chalky core shows itself in a clinging, almost salty finish." Bravo!
IMPORTER NEAL ROSENTHAL NOTES - "Larmandier’s prestige cuvée is produced from their oldest parcels of Chardonnay in the grand cru village of Cramant (along with a small amount of fruit from a holding in the Grand Cru Chouilly), and it spends a full five years on the lees before disgorgement. No dosage is present in our version of the 2008, but one would never even know it is missing--the wine’s depth and richness is extraordinary, voicing the sappy and dense character of the fruit François wrests from these old vines. Notes of pear tart, fresh figs, baked apples, and cherries frame a vibrant, expansive palate, and the wine’s chalky core shows itself in a clinging, almost salty finish."
- Item #: i_378602Bottle Size: 750mlJacques Defrance is headquartered in Les Riceys a quaint village nestled amidst the rolling hills of the Cotes des Bar half way between Reims and Chablis. Here for over a century four generations of the Defrance family have acquired and cultivated some of the area's best situated plots all the while learning more and more how get the best quality from their terrior. This valued-priced vintage Champagne is 50% Chardonnay and 40% Pinot Noir with a dosage of 8grams/liter. Harmonious and creamy on the palate with pleasing lemon curd, vanilla and ginger snap flavors. It is cast in a crowd pleasing style with excellent balance and good length.
- Item #: i_377476Bottle Size: 750MLThe house was founded in 1960 and since 1996 it has been run by the present winemaker Michel Chauvet. This 100% Chardonnay Champagne is composed exclusively the family's Grand Cru vineyards in Cramant. Its complex yet racy style is a product of the exceptional 2008 harvest year combined with a long period of maturation on the yeast.
- Item #: i_377303Bottle Size: 750mlANTONIO GALLONI 93 POINTS-"The 2008 Extra Brut Vieille Vigne de Levant Cramant Grand Cru is a big, imposing Champagne. Dried pear, smoke, slate, dried herbs and crushed flowers all resonate in the glass. The 2008 carries a real sense of old-vine gravitas and power. There is no shortage of intensity, but the slightly forward, oxidative flavor profile leads me to think the 2008 is best enjoyed sooner rather than later. Disgorged: September 2016. Dosage is 2 grams per liter."
First created in 1988, the Vieilles Vignes de Levant Extra Brut is a vintage cuvee produced from the oldest Grand Cru vines in the village of Cramant- ranging from fifty to eighty year-old vines. Like the Terre de Vertus, it is a single vintage cuvée fermented in oak, rather than stainless steel, though in this case, it is a combination of large foudres and smaller Burgundy barrels that are used. The wine receives a very low dosage of two grams per liter prior to release. Fermented using natural yeasts in a combination of 60% used barriques and 40% used foudres and left on the lees during the winter. Bottled unfined and unflitered, dosage is 2 grams/liter.
- Item #: i_379003Bottle Size: 750mlWINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS-"The 2008 Brut Millésimé opens in the glass with lovely aromas of lemon oil, green apple, warm biscuits, iodine and mandarin. On the palate, the wine is medium to full-bodied, deep and seamless, with an elegantly layered core, a fine, pinpoint mousse and racy balancing acids, concluding with a long and incipiently biscuity finish. This is a classy vintage Champagne that will develop beautiful complexity in the cellar."
- Item #: i_379351Bottle Size: 750MLPrimarly a Chardonnay based blend with a dash of Pinot Noir and Piont Meunier from the firm's best old vine parcels.WINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS-"Mouthwatering acidity drives the well-meshed range of poached apricot, almond biscotti, fleur de sel and spring blossom flavors in this bright, elegant Champagne, with a soft and creamy mousse. Delivers a fine, chalky finish. Disgorged July 2017. Drink now through 2028. 350 cases made, 25 cases imported."
- Item #: i_377863Bottle Size: 750mlThough situated in the Montagne de Reims village of Ludes this small artisan house has developed a variety of outstanding Chardonnay sources in the Cote des Blancs including the Grand Cru villages of Cramant, Oger, and Mesnil-sur-Oger. This 2008 could be their best rendition to date.
JAMES SUCKLING 94 POINTS-"Lemon and grapefruit tightly cut into place with powerful acidity and lots of lemon citrus on the nose as well as grilled hazelnuts. The palate has impressively deep-set citrus flavors, and refreshing layers build with terrific depth, power and nutty warmth."
- Item #: i_374666Bottle Size: 750MLJOHN GILMAN 94 POINTS- The 2008 Pol Roger Brut Millésime is a beautiful wine in the making, with the depth and structure to carry it far into the future, but also a wine that is strongly deserving of at least another five years in the cellar to truly blossom. The wine is a blend of sixty percent Pinot Noir and forty percent Chardonnay, with all of the fruit hailing from grand cru villages on the Montagne de Reims and Côte des Blancs. The wine spent eight years aging sur latte prior to disgorgement, but Pol Roger does not give information of the date of disgorgement or the finishing dosage. The bouquet on the wine is terrific, offering up a very complex blend of apple, white peach, a touch of fresh nutmeg, brioche, smoke, dried flowers and superb minerality. On the palate the wine is deep, full-bodied, complex and absolutely rock solid at the core, with refined mousse, impeccable focus and balance, and impressive grip on the long and zesty finish. This is already easy to drink, but it is still a puppy and I would try to not touch a bottle for another five years..." (05/17)
JAMES SUCKLING 94 POINTS"Attractive red berries, nectarines and biscuity notes with a hint of spice, too, and a sweet-smelling freshness to it. The palate delivers a very attractive and concentrated array of yellow stone fruit flavors. Smooth and creamy, sorbet-like finish. Drink now or age." (10/2017)