- Item #: i_378941Bottle Size: 750mlJacques Beaufort has long been one of our Champagne hero's. Back in the early 1970's Jacques was virtually alone leading the charge against the use of chemicals and herbicides and he has now been farming biodynamically for decades. Beaufort's approach to winemaking is equally stripped-down and non-interventionist. Such a strict, natural approach has its obvious risks, and over the years his Champagnes have been a bit "hit or miss" but his hits like this 2010 are often home runs. This is a bright, exuberant (dare we say hedionistic) Champagne that belies it Brut Zero configuration. The 2010 Andre Beaufort presents a delicate mousse and persistent bubbles, greeting your nose with pear, herbs de Provence and toasted hazelnuts. Expressive in character and bold on the palate, it culminates with a fine, zippy finish.
- Item #: i_333510Bottle Size: 750MLFlorian Beck-Hartweg, along with parents Michel and Yvette, share the philosophy that great wines aren't made in the cellar but in vineyards. Fermentation and aging is completed only in old oak casks, that don't interfere in any way with the taste of the wine (casks are 100 years old or so!). Fermentation with natural yeasts, and absolutely no other addition to the wine other than SO2, in small quantity of course. This newly imported producer follows the organic chart: absolutely, using no chemical products in the vineyards and absolutely no fertilization (chemical or organic) because Florian maintains that if the soil is healthy, microorganisms are able to give to the vineyard what it needs. By promoting biodiversity, better resistance against diseases and rotting is achieved. So when all this is done, it is very easy to spray less and only with natural products (sulfur, copper and plant extracts).
- Item #: i_351420Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94Wine Spectator: 94James Suckling: 94Wine Enthusiast: 95 PointsWINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS - "This wine is more backward than I would have normally expected, but nevertheless, it is very impressive. The 2010 Branaire-Ducru displays an inky bluish purple color and loads of mulberry, raspberry, black currant, graphite and floral notes in its intense aromatics. Medium to full-bodied , with sensational ripeness, purity, texture and length, the tannins are slightly more prominent than I remember from barrel, but they are sweet and ripe (as opposed to astringent and bitter). This beautiful wine needs 4-6 years of cellaring and should keep 25-30 years. 12/2013"
WINE SPECTATOR 94 POINTS - "Very polished and stylish, with a velvety feel to the layers of crushed plum, currant and blackberry, while bittersweet cocoa and black licorice glide in on the gorgeous, black tea-infused finish. Features a lovely allure rather than raw power, making this possibly the prettiest St.-Julien of the vintage. There's plenty in the tank for cellaring as well. Best from 2014 through 2030."
- Item #: i_345481Bottle Size: 750MLSmoldering charcoal and bay leaf notes start this off, followed by a core of melted black licorice, steeped black currant, pastis and baked plum flavors, all carried by a well-integrated roasted alder note. Shows terrific range and character, marrying old-school elements to a polished feel.
95% Mourvedre 5% Grenache 35 year old vines on clay/limestone soil Hand harvested Fermented in epoxy-lined cement tanks Elevage in foudre and barrique for 20-24 months Dense black purple color Aromas of black fruits, cassis, pepper and spice Layers of juicy black fruit and fine tannins on the palate truffles, spice, great length ages exceptionally well and will develop sweet, spicy tobacco and old leather character
- Item #: i_350265Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 91James Suckling: 94JAMES SUCKLING 94 POINTS: "I love the aromas of minerals, flowers, blackberries and blueberries. Full body with a fabulous texture of polished and integrated tannins. It goes on for minutes. Spicy, subtle fruit and a long and marvelous finish. Currant bush undertones. A whole and beautiful wine."
WINE SPECTATOR 91 POINTS: "Ripe and enticing, with mesquite, steeped plum, lightly mulled blackberry and bittersweet ganache notes all seamlessly layered and carrying through the charcoal-tinged finish. Shows good grip, but on track to be approachable soon. Best from 2014 through 2024." –JS
- Item #: i_373622Bottle Size: 750mlWINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS-"Officially non-vintaged, the recent issue of the NV Extra Brut Entre Ciel et Terre (2010) blends 60% Pinot Noir with 40% Pinot Meunier, predominantly from the 2010 harvest. The wine spent five years on the second lees and was disgorged in March 2017 (Lot EX100317). The bouquet is clear, fine and fresh in its stunningly fruity aromas of mirabelles. Filigreed, finessed and elegant on the palate, this is a lean, pure and stimulatingly dry yet mouth-filling cuvée with a more airy rather than earthy character. The finish is dry, firm, yeasty and full of character, but it is perhaps a bit too austere for some of our readers at the moment. In any case, it's a lovely gastronomic Champagne with a distinctive character. Tasted in May 2018."
- Item #: i_378520Bottle Size: 750ml"Toulette" is a single vineyard, mono cepage cuvee produced from Chardonnay vines that are more than fifty years of age and are cropped at a miserly thirty hectoliters per hectare. The vins clairs are barrel fermented in older Burgundy casks, with no malo and the wine is finished off with a minimal dosage of two grams per liter.
100% Chardonnay from an old parcel of vines planted in 1947. A vintage cuvée from the single vineyard bearing its name. Malolatic fermentation is avoided in order to release the full flavour origins of the wine. Vinified in oak, it shows a deep golden colour and a rich, toasty nose. A full-flavoured wine with a hint of almond/frangipane; almost like a Galette des Rois. Stunning!
- Item #: i_350064Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93ROBERT PARKER 93 POINTS - -"Probably the best second wine ever made at Cos (although the 2009 should not be discounted), the 2010 Les Pagodes de Cos is a blend of 62% Cabernet Sauvignon and 38% Merlot finishing at 14% natural alcohol. This wine exhibits beautiful, silky tannins as well as sweet, rich mulberry and black currant fruit with hints of spring flowers, licorice and subtle toast. A full-bodied, opulent and -ideal- second wine, most people who have tasted it would probably agree that it is actually better than many vintages of Cos d-Estournel from the 1960s and 1970s. Drink it over the next 10-15 years. (RP)"
- Item #: i_345925Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 95+ROBERTPARKER.COM 95+ POINTS: "Even better than I thought it would be from barrel, this 15,000-bottle cuvee of equal parts Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot made by the partner of Jean-Luc Thunevin, Murielle Thunevin, is sensational. Classic Margaux notes of spring flowers, black currant and licorice as well as hints of blueberry pie, lead pencil shavings and camphor jump from the glass of this full-bodied, dense, moderately tannic yet exceptionally well-endowed effort. It is a big wine from Margaux, but it never loses its sense of perspective, finesse and freshness. Give it 5-6 years of cellaring and drink it over the following 20-25 years."
- Item #: i_387629Bottle Size: 750mlWINERY NOTES:100% Chardonnay Crus : Le Mesnil-sur-Oger, Chouilly, Oiry Viticulture : Environmentally-friendly(organic fertilizers and treatments, mechanical procedures for the soils, aromatherapy, biodynamic principles) In the winery and cellar… Vintage : 2010 Vinification : Cuvées only (1st pressing), alcoholic fermentation at 17°C, malolactic fermentation, aged for 10 months in stainless steel vats. Bottled June 2011. 1997 bottles, 60 magnums Aging on lath : 7 years Dosage : 2 g / litre.
- Item #: i_377688Bottle Size: 750mlThis new to us grower-producer has created a most exciting terroir Champagne that perfectly showcases the ripe, broad demeanor for which the Chardonnays of Chouilly are prized. This then is a single varietal (Chardonnay), single harvest (2010), and single parcel Champagne. The Le Fond du Bateau lieu-dit was planted more than 50 years ago by Paul Pertois and is situated in the cru's best quadrant, i.e. south of the town directly east of the Butte de Saran on the northern border of Cramant. Environmentally-friendly vinicultural practices are employed in this vineyard including organic fertilizers and treatments, aromatherapy and biodynamic principles. The family intentionally reduces the vine's vigor and yields which results in enhanced aromatic concentration. This wine was fermented in stainless steel with malo and given 10 months to settle prior to bottling. Further complexity was achieved by seven years of yeast aging prior to disgorgement. While rich with a soft minerality, there is more than enough acidity to keep everything taught and focused through the extended finish. The flavor excitement and refinement exhibited in this superb bottling definitely make Pertois-Lebrun a name to watch.
- Item #: i_375811Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93James Suckling: 94Wine Enthusiast: 94 PointsJAMES SUCKLING 94 POINTS - "Four plots in Avize, a village that delivers strong character in blanc de blancs, picked later and riper. The delicate lemons and fine, chalky minerals here are impressive. Mouth-filling, vinous flesh with yellow-grapefruit and nectarine flavors. Super long, fresh and focused mineral finish. Drink or hold."
WINE ENTHUSIAST 94 POINTS
WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS