- Item #: i_352959Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 92Decanter: 91 PointsWINE SPECTATOR 92 POINTS - "Very harmonious, with an open-textured profile, delivering cherry, strawberry, floral, licorice and tobacco notes on a delicate frame. Beautifully integrated and approachable now, though the intensity and slight grip from the tannins suggest that you could wait another year or two. Best from 2020 through 2028."
- Item #: i_352792Bottle Size: 750mlThis is a new venture by an American, Brendan Stater West, who travelled to France to teach English, became hooked on wine, worked for one of the Loire's great winemakers (Domaine Guiberteau), before being offered a vineyard from which to make the sort of wine he likes: "elegant, pure, vertical, with salinity from the limestone.
The Saumur Rouge comes from a young south-west vineyard of Cabernet Franc in Brézé, in the lieu-dit La Ripaille. The soil profile is predominately sandy-clay of 1.5m in depth. Harvest is sorted in the vineyard then destemmed 100% upon arrival at Brendan’s facility. Maceration is based on an infusion style, no extraction (no pump-overs, pigeage, delestage) and lasts 6 days in order to preserve delicate and purity in texture. Aging is also in stainless steel for 6 months. 2018 is the first vintage bottled.
- Item #: i_351882Bottle Size: 750mlCERTIFIED ORGANIC
The Bretons first introduced biodynamic practices into their viticulture in 1994, just after receiving their organic certification in 1991. Recently, they started the three-year process of seeking biodynamic certification. In fact, they have become international icons for the natural wine movement in an area where the climate and soil can make organic viticulture difficult. Catherine and Pierre are two of the hardest working people we know of in the wine businesses. This explains why their wines, despite the fact that they are totally natural and unadulterated, are so incredibly consistent; consistently delicious. Their achievements and contributions to the natural and organic wine movement globally cannot be underestimated. Kermit Lynch
- Item #: i_322154Bottle Size: 750MLWINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS - "A bramble- and bay leaf—edged version, with a mix of dark cherry and red currant fruit forming the core. Light singed tobacco and a fresh chalk threads line the finish. Long and refined, showing a lovely tug of earth at the end. Drink now through 2026."
Les Varennes du Grand Clos is a slope of siliceous clay and limestone that has proven its ability to yield complex Chinons that stand the test of time-old bottles from decades past are still in their prime. Farming is organic, and the wine ages for over a year in barrel before bottling. The trademark of Les Varennes is its finesse: while structure is certainly not lacking, there is a harmony to fruit, acid, and tannins that allows us to pull the cork today. Its earthy flavors pair perfectly with rustic French cuisine; try a beef stew or wild mushrooms for a guaranteed match.
- Item #: i_345148Bottle Size: 750MLLauded by King Réné Anjou in the 15th century classical literature, the Château de Brézé wines were regarded with such esteem that the royals exchanged them annually with the great Sauternes of Château d’Yquem. The vineyards belonging to the Château de Brézé entered a Renaissance of their own in 2009 when Count de Colbert conferred upon Yves and Arnaud Lambert management of the viticultural estate. The father and son team have immediately converted the entire 25 hectares to organic methods, with official certification as of the 2012 vintage.
Loire Cabernet Franc from a historic property which is mentioned for the first time in the year 1063, in records from Saint Florent's Abbatial. Delicious flavors of tobacco, raspberry, cassis, violet, and pepper.
- Item #: i_352905Bottle Size: 750mlManual Harvest in order to pick only the perfectly rippened grapes.
Aged in Stainless steel between 7 to 9 months
Deep and velvety, Beautiful aromas of red and black fruits (Cherry, blueberry, blackberry, et ripe black currant)
perfect balance between flesh and fruit
- Item #: i_352584Bottle Size: 750mlThe Cuvée Alouettes comes from sandier soils, which tend to yield softer wines with very supple tannins—perfect for drinking young. It saw fermentation and aging in stainless steel to preserve maximum aromas of fresh fruit, and the fruits are not lacking: wild berries jump out of the glass invitingly, while a peppery note adds an earthy twist.
- Item #: i_322262Bottle Size: 750mlPowerful, fragrant, slightly earthy aromas. Ripe, lovely black fruited texture, opulent structure. Will need a few years to come together.
- Item #: i_351793Bottle Size: 750mlThis Chinon is the perfect fruity wine to start discovering Cabernet Franc from the Loire Valley. Nose exhibits aromas of red berries and sweet spices. Palate is structured with silky tannins, coming from the part-ageing in oak barrels. A very decent medium-bodied bottle for an immediate pleasure, perfect for the price.
- Item #: i_352940Bottle Size: 750mlIn only a few years, Domaine Guiberteau has become one of the most sought after domaines in Saumur, their wines already stringently allocated and found in the best restaurants in France.
AB organic certification
Organic (since 2003) Vinification: 100% de-stemmed, indigenous yeasts, no new oak except Arboises (80% new) and Brézé (40%), no fining, filtration if needed.
- Item #: i_333763Bottle Size: 750MLDomaine LEDUC-FROUIN was founded in 1873 and is now managed by Antoine Leduc, 4th generation Winemaker. Antoine was always destined to work in his 30 hectares family estate and he returned there in 1993 after doing his Oenology studies in Bourgogne and Bordeaux. Combining tradition and modernity, Antoine makes every effort to produce typical, local and subtile wines. .e diversity of the soils (falun, shale, clay) allows him to perform single vineyard winemaking like La Seigneurie".
With its brilliant garnet color, this wine has blackcurrant, blueberry, tobacco and spicy scents. Velvety and rich but well-rounded with soft tannins.
- Item #: i_352904Bottle Size: 750mlThis small estate in Montreuil-Bellay (15 km south of Saumur) has been farmed according to bio-dynamic principles since 1962. In fact, Matthieu's father, François, was a leading French consultant in bio-dynamics along with the likes of Joly, Leflaive, and Chapoutier, and wrote the how-to book on using its principles in the vineyard. Matthieu and Sylvanie Bouchet took over the family winery located at the place called La Salle in 1990. Matthieu and Sylvanie chose to follow in their father’s footsteps. They still farm according to the strictest principles of Bio-dynamics which involve, among other things, the complete absence of chemical fertilizers, pesticides, or additives of any kind. *Biodynamic, Natural Wine*
- Item #: i_351095Bottle Size: 750mlBIODYNAMIC
You learn a lot about a man by his compost pile. One of the few producers in the appellation of Saumur-Champigny to farm naturally, Thierry Germain is extremely proud of his, reaching into the heart of his compost to show off the smoking debris to visitors. While others are pumping as much synthetic fertilizer into their vineyard as possible to reach the highest potential yields, Thierry Germain is going the other direction, using his compost only when necessary, and asking the vines to suffer to produce much, much less fruit. The end results are stunning.
- Item #: i_345837Bottle Size: 750MLThierry’s domaine, Roches Neuves, whose vineyards are planted in the Saumur (Blanc) and Saumur-Champigny (Rouge) appellations, has rightfully become one of the greatest examples of high achievement in biodynamic vine growing in France. We put him up there with the greats: Abbatucci in Corsica, Ganevat in the Jura, Ostertag in Alsace. His total dedication to site specific wines produced from Cabernet Franc and Chenin Blanc, his “parcellaires,” has produced some of the most exciting wines in the Loire Valley today.
• 100% de-stemmed
• Fermentation in stainless steel tank for 8 to 10 days
• Light pumpovers during fermentation—meant to infuse the grapes not extract them
• Aged in stainless steel and wood tanks, on fine lees, without sulfur, for 3 to 4 months
• Communes: Chaintres de Varrains and Saumur