- Item #: i_351708Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 93WINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS - "Supple and harmonious, this red offers a line of cherry and plum fruit, accented by spice flavors. Focused and balanced, lingering pleasantly on the lengthy, mineral-tinged aftertaste. Best from 2021 through 2035."
- Item #: i_352925Bottle Size: 750mlVINOUS 92 POINTS - "The 2017 Chambolle-Musigny Village comes from north-facing vineyards toward the upper slopes – the last vines to ripen, as they can lie in the shade. Containing 80% whole bunch fruit, it has a well-defined, slightly tertiary bouquet with touches of black pepper and pencil lead. The medium-bodied palate presents fresh red fruit, lightly spiced with white pepper, sage and a touch of tobacco, perhaps a little Morey-like in structure, but with a very long finish. Excellent."
BURGHOUND 91 POINTS - "A more deeply pitched nose features notes of plum, violet and red cherry along with soft spice wisps. The rich and refined middle weight flavors possess a caressing mouthfeel while delivering a moderately firm, dusty and borderline robust finish that offers fine complexity and persistence. A fine but firm Chambolle villages."
- Item #: i_353490Bottle Size: 750ml1.07 hectares from two parcels: Réas and la Rivière. Primary fermentation in cement tank and then moved to barrels for malolactic fermentation and aging. 35% new oak
Amélie Berthaut's emergence as one of Burgundy's rising stars by now needs no reiteration, but the quality of her 2017 portfolio demonstrates that the plaudits she has received are amply justified.Berthaut has a magic touch. The wines are alive and vibrant, and offer a truly unique expression.
Amélie insists that the most important work happens in the vineyards and working the soil. She follows lutte raisonnée farming, with a strong leaning towards organic viticulture: no herbicides or pesticides in the vineyards. The biggest threats are oidium and mildew, but she avoids spraying at all if possible.
- Item #: i_353017Bottle Size: 750mlDomaine Boisson-Vadot is one of the finest, outstanding small producers in the village of Meursault that are not particularly well known beyond their native France, but which produce stellar examples of Meursault. The estate is currently run by the father and son team of Bernard and Pierre Boisson, who turn out between three and four thousand cases of wine per year.
No-brainer red Burg buy from one of the hottest names with those in the know. You have to try at least one of these!
- Item #: i_350602Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 93 PointsDecanter: 93 PointsDECANTER 93 POINTS: "The five terroirs in question here are Champ, En Derée, Vellé, Combes du Dessus and En Motrot, all of which are on the north side of Gevrey-Chambertin. This is always one of the best village Gevreys on the market, easily as good as many producers' premiers crus. With 15% whole bunches and 30% new wood, this is a balanced, spicy, pithy red with glossy tannins, freshness and stylish oak."
- Item #: i_350511Bottle Size: 750ml"A real pleasure to discover this compelling domaine." - William Kelley, Decanter Magazine
This fantastic Pinot Noir from Burgundy makes an immediate impression. Several wine staff happened to be present when this Bourgogne from Berthaut was opened. Everybody fell in love with the intoxicating aromas of fresh Bing cherries, dark Pinot fruit and potpourri which leaps from the glass. The palate is pure silk with generous fruit yet remains fresh and amazingly balanced. It is truly a wonderful Burgundy on a budget.
The reaction of the wine staff confirmed our impression of this wine and of Domaine Berthaut-Gerbet in general. We visited Burgundy in June and had the pleasure of tasting the whole line-up With the talented Amelie Berthaut. The wines showed extremely well and we knew that the domaine was in the very capable hands of this young seventh generation vigneron.
Amelie is the daughter of Denis Berthaut and Marie-Andree Gerbet and took over winemaking responsibilities a few years ago. She previously studied oenology in Bordeaux before making wine in Bandol, France and Dunn in California before returning to her family's estate in 2013. Amelie has taken the wines from the humble appellation of Fixin in the Cotes de Nuits to a new level with her passion and attention to quality.
We feel so strongly about this wine that we bought all we could get. Unfortunately, supply is always an issue in Burgundy so we couldn't purchase as much as we would have liked. For now, enjoy this terrific value from one of the new star winemakers of Burgundy.
Once you have savored this wine, take a look at our other offerings from Berthaut-Gerbet, which are also delicious and add a touch more complexity and depth.
Bright ruby in color. On the nose, expressive aromas of violets, perfectly ripened cherries, red berries, plum and sweet spices leap from the glass. On the palate, the wine is dry and medium-bodied with a wonderful silkiness. The lusciousness and depth of the fruit is striking, with focused red and black cherries, blue plum and boysenberry along with baking spices. The complexity, depth and lengthy finish make this a compelling wine.
- Item #: i_350512Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 90-92WINE ADVOCATE 90-92 POINTS - "The 2017 Fixin Les Crais is lovely, wafting from the glass with aromas of blackberries, cassis, asphalt and dark chocolate. On the palate, it's medium to full-bodied, ample and fleshy, with a lavish attack, a succulent core of expressive fruit and a melting but stony finish. I have a weakness for this cuvée, which is hard to resist in its youth but which ages very dependably—in fact, I still have a few bottles of the 1988 in my cellar that are still bursting with lively fruit."
- Item #: i_352069Bottle Size: 750mlBURGHOUND 92 POINTS, TOP VALUE - "A more restrained nose reluctantly offers up a bit more deeply pitched nose of violet, plum and anise hints. The sleek, delicious and beguilingly vibrant medium weight flavors culminate in a dusty, complex and sneaky long finish. While this is labeled as a villages, it performs at a 1er level." Drink 2024+
- Item #: i_351627Bottle Size: 750mlINSIDE BURGUNDY 91 POINTS - ""Dense black purple. I cannot tease out the nose at first, but there is a beautiful, balanced weight of fruit in the mouth, with a fresh mineral finish, lots of stones in the soil, and a saline finish. Nicolas describes it as digeste, a wine that slips down easily. Tasted: December 2018."
- Item #: i_353284Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 90WINE SPECTATOR 90 POINTS - "Ripe flavors of boysenberry, cherry jam and floral aromas and flavors mark this intense red. The vibrant structure keeps this fresh and long. Fine balance. Drink now through 2024”
- Item #: i_352729Bottle Size: 750mlFor Dominique, this is the best vineyard in Beaune. A wonderful combination of elegance and richness, there is an initial concentration of dense berry fruit, which segues into velvet tannins and a crisp, palate-cleansing finish. A very sensual and seductive expression of Beaune.
- Item #: i_353450Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 91 PointsDecanter: 91 PointsDECANTER 91 POINTS - "This generic Bourgogne from François Lumpp comes from the Jambles side of Givry and is made from comparatively young vines planted on clay and limestone soils. It's highly aromatic with well-integrated oak, 70% new. It's juicy and textured, with crunchy fruit, balancing acidity and a spring in its step."
- Item #: i_324274Bottle Size: 750mlBurghound: 91BURGHOUND 91 POINTS "OUTSTANDING" - "A fresh and decidedly more elegant nose reflects high-toned notes of pomegranate, red cherry and a lovely blend of floral and forest floor scents. There is a lovely sleekness to the delicious, caressing and well-detailed flavors that deliver slightly better depth and persistence on the stony finish where a touch of wood influence arises. This is quite good and worthy of consideration."
- Item #: i_352591Bottle Size: 750mlBURGHOUND 90 POINTS: ""This too is softly toasty with an abundance of earth and underbrush characters suffusing the slightly more elegant red currant-scented nose. The nicely detailed medium weight flavors possess an elegant mouth feel thanks mainly to the relatively fine-grained tannins shaping the attractively complex and lingering finish that reflects only a hint of Pommard-like rusticity."
- Item #: i_352603Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 91-93BURGHOUND 91 POINTS : "A more deeply pitched nose reveals notes of dark cherry, plum and raspberry along with pretty spice and violet wisps. The supple and quite round medium-bodied flavors possess a bit more volume if less finesse on the impressively persistent and slightly firmer finish where a trace of wood appears.
WINE ADVOCATE 91-93 POINTS : "The 2017 Volnay 1er Cru Frémiets displays appealing aromas of smoked meats, plums, wild berries, dark chocolate and rich soil. On the palate, it's medium to full-bodied, broad-shouldered and velvety, with fine-boned structuring tannins cloaked in sapid and succulent fruit.
- Item #: i_350170Bottle Size: 750MLBURGHOUND 91 POINTS : "An elegant, airy and cool nose is also attractively perfumed and is composed of essence of red cherry, lavender and soft spice aromas. The elegant, even lilting middle weight flavors evidence notably more minerality on the wonderfully textured, refined and well-balanced finale. This is a lovely Chevrets fashioned in a style that should permit reasonably early accessibility."
- Item #: i_345553Bottle Size: 750mlFrom a vineyard of 45 years old vine, opaque purple color. Wonderful notes of fresh berries, black cherries, with hint of gaminess and spices.