- Item #: i_351708Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 94WINE SPECTATOR 94 POINTS - "Pure cherry, raspberry and stony mineral flavors are the hallmarks of this juicy red, with a firm, well-integrated structure. Combines elegance and muscle. The finish is dense and long. Best from 2022 through 2036."
- Item #: i_351962Bottle Size: 750mlThis Bourgogne rouge is surprisingly charming and floral. I don’t normally care much for Bourgogne wines but this is something special and worth the attention. This Pinot Fin is a blend of seven different plots around Cote de Nuits, 50% from Chambolle Musigny appellation, 25% from Nuits Saint Georges, and 25% from Vosne Romanée. Around 60% of the crop was lost in 2016 due to frost, around 20 barrels of Bourgogne Pinot Fin produced in 2016. Flamboyant aroma of supple rose petal, wild strawberries, and raspberry. 60% whole cluster. Great lightness and gentleness.
- Item #: i_351470Bottle Size: 750mlThe Boisson family roots run deep in Meursault, dating back some 200 years. Today, the estate is run by father-son duo Bernard and Pierre, creating earth-driven bottles full of depth and complexity. The 2016 Pommard is silky and fragrant, oozing with notes of raspberry, cherry, and baking spice, coupled with fresh acidity and grainy, well-integrated tannins. Lengthy and sophisticated, will improve over the next five years.
- Item #: i_351588Bottle Size: 750mlThe Duband estate chose to convert entirely to organic agriculture in 2006. David Duband made the choice first and foremost out of respect for the environment but also for the intrinsic quality of the wines.
Age of vines about 50 years average
The dress is of a red ruby bursting with beautiful dark reflections. The nose gets involved aromas of black and red fruits with a lot of neatness. The mouth is frank with a touch of licorice and one finale slightly spiced.
- Item #: i_351459Bottle Size: 750ml"Light and fresh. Unforced. Very delicate and lively. Great balance. For quite early drinking. Very precise." Jancis Robinson
- Item #: i_350511Bottle Size: 750ml"A real pleasure to discover this compelling domaine." - William Kelley, Decanter Magazine
This fantastic Pinot Noir from Burgundy makes an immediate impression. Several wine staff happened to be present when this Bourgogne from Berthaut was opened. Everybody fell in love with the intoxicating aromas of fresh Bing cherries, dark Pinot fruit and potpourri which leaps from the glass. The palate is pure silk with generous fruit yet remains fresh and amazingly balanced. It is truly a wonderful Burgundy on a budget.
The reaction of the wine staff confirmed our impression of this wine and of Domaine Berthaut-Gerbet in general. We visited Burgundy in June and had the pleasure of tasting the whole line-up With the talented Amelie Berthaut. The wines showed extremely well and we knew that the domaine was in the very capable hands of this young seventh generation vigneron.
Amelie is the daughter of Denis Berthaut and Marie-Andree Gerbet and took over winemaking responsibilities a few years ago. She previously studied oenology in Bordeaux before making wine in Bandol, France and Dunn in California before returning to her family's estate in 2013. Amelie has taken the wines from the humble appellation of Fixin in the Cotes de Nuits to a new level with her passion and attention to quality.
We feel so strongly about this wine that we bought all we could get. Unfortunately, supply is always an issue in Burgundy so we couldn't purchase as much as we would have liked. For now, enjoy this terrific value from one of the new star winemakers of Burgundy.
Once you have savored this wine, take a look at our other offerings from Berthaut-Gerbet, which are also delicious and add a touch more complexity and depth.
Bright ruby in color. On the nose, expressive aromas of violets, perfectly ripened cherries, red berries, plum and sweet spices leap from the glass. On the palate, the wine is dry and medium-bodied with a wonderful silkiness. The lusciousness and depth of the fruit is striking, with focused red and black cherries, blue plum and boysenberry along with baking spices. The complexity, depth and lengthy finish make this a compelling wine.
- Item #: i_350529Bottle Size: 750mlFINE WINE REVIEW - "The Volnay, Clos de la Cave has dark fruit aromas and flavors with minerality, medium-weight, and good acidity, length, and structure. 50% whole clusters here. The vines date from five different periods; the youngest are 20 years-old, the oldest 90 years-old, and the average is 45-50 years."
- Item #: i_333599Bottle Size: 750MLAllen Meadows - Burghound -"A fresh and attractively spicy nose is composed by notes of plum, earth and a pretty red berry nuance. I very much like the texture of the lively middle weight flavors that possess a subtle minerality and even a bit of muscle on the delicious and balanced finish. This should drink well both young and with a few years of bottle age."
- Item #: i_350643Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 90-92WINE ADVOCATE 90 - 92 POINTS "The 2016 Côte de Nuits-Villages finished its malolactic fermenation earlier than its siblings this year, and so it was racked in June. It has a gorgeous and pure bouquet of dark berry fruit, a hint of soy and mineral, all beautifully defined. The palate is medium-bodied with more red fruit than the Bourgogne Pinot Noir but, again, silky smooth in texture with startling panache and focus on the finish. What a fabulous wine."
BURGHOUND 89 - 91 POINTS, OUTSTANDING TOP VALUE - "This is aromatically similar to the Bourgogne but with notably better complexity. The delicious, succulent and generously proportioned flavors possess a caressing mouthfeel where the fine depth flashed by the nose is also present on the finish. Lovely stuff that should offer much pleasure young but should also be capable of rewarding 5 to 7 years of cellaring too."
- Item #: i_351884Bottle Size: 750mlThis small but outstanding domaine was created in 1840 by the great-grandfather of Régis Forey, the current proprietaire. This village wine is from three parcels of about one hectare total size that are planted to vines of more than sixty years of age. The two primary parcels are in “Plantes Aux Barons” (.40 hectare) and “Charbonnieres” (.60 hectare), both of which are in Prémeaux on its northern border with Nuits. These low-yielding old vines produce a concentrated and classic Nuits.
- Item #: i_308564Bottle Size: 750MLThis small but outstanding domaine was created in 1840 by the great-grandfather of Régis Forey, the current proprietaire. One of the first estates to grace our portfolio (in 1982), we began our work with this gem in the village of Vosne Romanée when Jean Forey, the father of Régis, was the reigning vigneron. We had been introduced to Monsieur Forey by Claudette Amiot, wife of Bernard Amiot, our very first grower contact in the Cote de Nuits. We have been working with the Forey domaine ever since our initial visit when we purchased the wines from the 1980 vintage for export to the USA. The 1987 vintage marked the entry of Régis into the domaine on a full-time basis and he became fully responsible for all aspects of production and winemaking with the 1989 vintage. In contrast to the wines of his father, who produced seductive wines of finesse and delicacy, Régis expresses a more masculine personality as his wines show exceptional concentration and depth. ROSENTHAL WINE MERCHANT
- Item #: i_344302Bottle Size: 750MLBurghound: 88WINE ADVOCATE 90 POINTS - "Including many of the frosted lieux-dits that Roty normally bottle separately, the 2016 Marsannay unfurls in the glass with a deep bouquet of cassis, dark chocolate, grilled game and espresso roast. On the palate, the wine is medium to full-bodied, velvety and nicely concentrated, with excellent depth at the core and a long, penetrating finish. It's a decidedly superior Marsannay from Roty."
- Item #: i_334309Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 90+Burghound: 91WINE ADVOCATE 90+ POINTS - "Aromas of cassis, rich loamy soil, espresso roast and incense introduce the 2016 Gevrey-Chambertin Champs-Chenys Vieilles Vignes, a medium to full-bodied wine that's quite firm and tangy this year, displaying impressive depth of fruit but also structuring acids and tannins that will require some bottle age."
- Item #: i_352530Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 90+WINE ADVOCATE 90+ POINTS - "The 2016 Gevrey-Chambertin Clos Prieur Bas offers up aromas of cherries, plums, spices and forest floor, framed by a subtle touch of toasty new oak. On the palate, the wine is medium to full-bodied, chalky and firm, with good concentration but a tauter, more linear profile than the 2017 rendition. It will demand some time."
- Item #: i_350536Bottle Size: 750mlBURGHOUND 89 - 91 POINTS - " This too is reduced and the only aspect that I can mention is a subtle touch of wood. Otherwise there is notably better size, weight and richness as the medium-bodied flavors possess an admirable abundance of sappy dry extract that also buffers the firm but not hard core of tannins. This isn't refined but it's very Nuits and should age well but also drink well young thanks to the extract." - (Jan 15, 2018)
- Item #: i_345743Bottle Size: 750MLBurghound: 88-91Light ruby. Perfumed and seductive. Quite appealing already. Just needs the acidity to settle down a little. Lightly sandy tannins on the end...
- Item #: i_350007Bottle Size: 750mlNicolas represents the fifth generation of his family in Volnay. The viticulture of the domaine is inspired by biodynamics, but Nico is pragmatic, and although no weedkillers are used and the vineyards are maintained by ploughing, he says that there are both good and bad things in biodynamics, and he will use conventional fungicides to combat disease. Nicolas makes deeply-coloured, flavourful wines. Purple bright and with defined juicy fruit and very good body. Just racked, so hard to taste, but looks excellent