- Item #: i_333928Bottle Size: 750MLThe small family domaine in France that works traditionally using techniques and savoir faire passed down across multiple generations is under serious threat today. Consolidation, technology, regulation, foreign investment, globalization, and many other factors (all in the name of progress), threaten the great agricultural tradition of winegrowing in France, arguably the world’s greatest winegrowing culture. Few domaines in France embody this way of life more ably and proudly than Domaine Albert Boxler in Niedermorschwihr. Jean Boxler, many generations removed from his ancestor of the same name that moved here from Switzerland in 1673, currently rules the roost at this humble yet incredibly exciting domaine. Intense and serious about his land, his craft, and his wine, Jean is the genius behind what are certainly some of the finest white wines in Alsace (and the world).
- Item #: i_333510Bottle Size: 750MLFlorian Beck-Hartweg, along with parents Michel and Yvette, share the philosophy that great wines aren't made in the cellar but in vineyards. Fermentation and aging is completed only in old oak casks, that don't interfere in any way with the taste of the wine (casks are 100 years old or so!). Fermentation with natural yeasts, and absolutely no other addition to the wine other than SO2, in small quantity of course. This newly imported producer follows the organic chart: absolutely, using no chemical products in the vineyards and absolutely no fertilization (chemical or organic) because Florian maintains that if the soil is healthy, microorganisms are able to give to the vineyard what it needs. By promoting biodiversity, better resistance against diseases and rotting is achieved. So when all this is done, it is very easy to spray less and only with natural products (sulfur, copper and plant extracts).
- Item #: i_333508Bottle Size: 750MLBeck-Hartweg has a mere 5.5 ha growed organic. This Riesling is attractive, classic fragrance with citrus, apple and a spicy pepper. The taste is solid and tight with elegant fruit. Typical from its granitic terroir, this Riesling is dry, elegant and shows a nice minerality. It is long in mouth and has some floral notes with a nice purity. Enjoy with oysters and fish
- Item #: i_352545Bottle Size: 750mlThe Beck-Hartweg vineyard has one more special feature: 25% is classified as Grand Cru Frankstein (only 4% of the total Grand Cru production of Alsatian wine has this classification) and is spread among four south-east sloping hillsides of solid granite. The mountain granite soil is a composite of light, stony,shallow sand and forces the roots to penetrate down into the rock fissures for nutrients which gives the wine crystalline minerality and long finish.
- Item #: i_345653Bottle Size: 750MLVINOUS 94+ POINTS - "Luminous straw-yellow. Lemon, minerals, lime and pomaceous orchard fruit, and actually not much of the spice typically associated with granite soils. Long and lively in the mouth, and boasting noteworthy clarity and cut thanks to juicy acidity that channels the flavor molecules directly onto the taste buds. More restrained than the Sommerberg, but also more refined, with sneaky concentration and depth. These vines were planted in the 1970s and are located higher up than Boxler’s two Sommerberg parcels where there is a warmer microclimate. The slightly tactile note on the finish had me thinking some cold-soaking had been done, but Boxler told me it was not so, as he prefers to press the grapes very slowly and that leads to wines with bigger extract and palate presence, accounting for the wine’s tactile sensation."
- Item #: i_344103Bottle Size: 750MLWinemaker's notes - This wine exclusively comes from vineyards of the Domain Marcel DEISS and is produced from 13 Alsatian grapes. These grapes express the story of Alsatian terroir.
Vinous Media 88 points: - "Medium straw. Aromas and flavors of ripe apricot, peach and spiced apple. Broad, fresh and dry in the mouth, with a clean, persistent finish. This lovely, easygoing white wine had me looking for a plate of bivalves." -- Ian D'Agata
- Item #: i_352628Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92ROBERT PARKER 92 POINTS: "Weinbach's 2017 Alsace Riesling Cuvée Colette is pure and flinty on the nose, with discreet tropical fruit aromas. Full-bodied and firmly structured on the palate, this is an intensely flavored, quite rich and persistent Riesling with stunningly good length."
- Item #: i_350891Bottle Size: 750mlRiesling is the king of Alsatian wine and the love of the Faller family. A dry and intense wine with much finesse from the estate vineyard, Clos des Capuchins. “Théo” refers to Catherine’s father, the indomitable Théo Faller, one of the most respected winemakers in Alsace before his untimely death in 1979.
This is more typical of the varietal on the nose than the Réserve Personelle and also has much more vibrant acidity. Sweet and sour with pungent citric lemon elements on the palate...almost lemon confit. To finish there are notes of butter and Granny Smith apple. It is ripe, yet not heavy or alcoholic
- Item #: i_350641Bottle Size: 750mlJAMES SUCKLING 91 POINTS - "A joyful dry white that's brimming with fruit aromas, from pears to lychee to flowers. A medium body with a very attractive balance of juicy fruit and fresh acidity. A properly dry finish."
Gentil has become a joyous, convivial wine whose arrival the Hugel family always awaits with impatience in the spring following each vintage. Gentil shows pure, fresh aromas, very fruit-driven and floral, as well as expressive and flattering. On the palate, this dry wine has a lively, youthful fresh character that is refreshing, with a pleasant, scented finish. Gentil is a perfect wine to sip with friends or to enjoy with simple everyday meals. Gentil is best enjoyed chilled with saltwater and freshwater fish, shellfish, starters and hors d'oeuvres. Blend: 50% Sylvaner and Pinot Blanc, 15% Gewurztraminer, 22% Pinot Gris, 7% Riesling, 6% Muscat
- Item #: i_300182Bottle Size: 750MLJAMES SUCKLING 93 POINTS: "Has some of the earthy power and complexity of a grand cru. An excellent balance of white-fruit character with robust minerality and crisp acidity, driving the imposing finish. Drink or hold."
Tasting notes by Serge Dubs, World's Best Sommelier 1989 :
Young, lively colour, moderately intense, bright lemon yellow with pistachio green hints, a flash of silver, delicately velvety and silky in appearance. Attractive, agreeable bouquet, not too forward, aromatic, perfumed, nicely elegant and refined. Mainly floral aromas of fresh rose, jasmine, reseda, lily, freesia, primrose, with passion fruit, mango and pear. The mouth is filled with aromas that are generous, yet still soft and suave to flatter and charm the palate. It is almost dry, with an elegant finish that is crisp and refreshing. A wine to enjoy now while it is young and its varietal qualities are clearly defined. Ideal as an aperitif, or at any time, to share an agreeable moment with friends. Serve at 8°C. Serve with cheese : munster, auvergne blue, stilton, aged goat's cheese, also with lightly spiced, tasty dishes, Chinese, Moroccan, Indian, and with fruit based cakes and desserts. May be aged for 2 to 3 years.
- Item #: i_351895Bottle Size: 750mlBIODYNAMIC AND CERTIFIED ORGANIC
IMPORTER NOTES - "Literally the “sheep’s path,” Schoffweg leads into Grasberg and is an exceptional terroir: a thin slab of Aalenian limestone perched above the plains, the ultimate extension of the hillock of Altenberg in Bergheim. It faces east, but the warmer climate is tamed by strong winds. Drained by the northern wind in summer, protected by the foehn in autumn, this very poor terroir with rocky yellow limestone provides an extremely complex expression, without noble rot.
- Item #: i_345852Bottle Size: 750MLThis wine comes from the estate vineyards of Domaine Marcel Deiss. It is made from ripe Pinot Noir, with the utmost respect and without intervention. These grapes express the soil and climate of Alsace - it is a wine that speaks of our region : deep crimson color, complex and aromatic bouquet (hints of Burgundy's Cote de Nuits), silky mouthfeel, and thirst-quenching finish.
- Item #: i_352186Bottle Size: 750mlFrom the Schoech family growers in the village of Ammerschwihr—the heart of the vineyard land of Alsace, France—comes a fabulous white wine. The wine is grown in the far northeastern corner of the country, near Germany, hemmed in between the Vosges Mountains and the Rhine River. You’ll find Côtes d’ Ammerschwihr available in our region for around $20. The Côtes d’ Ammerschwihr is a dry white wine. It’s got a richness to it, but a floral quality, too, giving the wine lift. Where does that lift come from? The “secret ingredient,” in the winemaker’s recipe is 5% Muscat. Rather than giving you an extremely fruity, heavy apricot flavor, that very deliberate percentage allows for a light, floral updraft, making the wine gorgeous as we transition from summer to fall. Faith imagines drinking this wine all fall long.
- Item #: i_334259Bottle Size: 750MLDomaines Schlumberger was founded in 1810, when Nicolas Schlumberger established his vineyards on the renowned, sunny slopes above the town of Guebwiller. With a holding of more than 140 hectares of vineyards, Domaines Schlumberger are not only the largest owners of vineyards in Alsace, but also have the largest Grand Cru holding of 70 hectares. Les Prince Abbes range of wines is the entry point range of wines and is Named after the Prince Abbots who owned the vineyard from the 9th to the 18th century. The focus here is on the expression of classic varietal characteristics at an affordable price. Domaines Schlumberger Pinot Blanc Les Princes Abbes is blend of 70% Pinot Blanc and 30% Auxerrois. This is a well-structured wine with a dry character. Pairs well with summer salads, quiches and terrines, white fish.
- Item #: i_303951Bottle Size: 750MLThese wines are especially interesting as they are made bio dynamically, the producer, Andre Ostertag, is a radical in the area and chooses to give some of his wines the barrique treatment. This Sylvaner is "Vieilles Vignes" (old vines) and touted as possibly the best example of this Austrian grape grown in Alsace.
There is a slight hint of lime zest and fern on the nose. The palate is more expressive but in a slender, subtle way, offering a lime zest flavor countered by white pepper and a streak of green fern. Citrus freshness tingles everywhere and even has a pithy, textural element to it.
- Item #: i_345460Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 89eROBERT PARKER 89 POINTS: "Signature smoky limestone and lemon flavors along with more international popcorn and fennel seed flavors open the 2012 Vin de Table Zind, a quite Burgundian wine that is not allowed to be marketed as Vin d'Alsace, due to the 23-year-old Chardonnay (65%) that is blended with coeval Auxerrois (35%); both varieties are cultivated in the Clos Windsbuhl, one of the top sites of the prestigious domaine. The wine is rich and intense on the palate, very pure, salty, and stimulatingly fresh and salty in the lingering finish. Rounder, bigger and richer than the 2013, although the alcohol volume is only 12.6%. "Unexpectedly, we have more residual sugar here (8 grams) because we had to ferment the wine in a new cask with no yeasts in it from previous vintages," explains Olivier Humbrecht. This might be the reason why I find the 2012 more saturating."
- Item #: i_350463Bottle Size: 750mlJames Suckling: 96Wine Enthusiast: 95 PointsJAMES SUCKLING 96 POINTS - "This has such attractive, fresh perfume with sweetly floral aromas, as well as sweetly fragrant and ripe lychees, peaches and roses. The palate is very attractive and succulent with such impressive concentration of lychees. Some honey and pastry, too. This is stunning. Full and gently sweet. Drink or hold."