- Item #: i_346020Bottle Size: 750MLJames Suckling: 96JAMES SUCKLING 96 POINTS: "This is sensational, characterized by such purity and beauty and with aromas of blackberries, dark chocolate, walnuts, cedar and lavender. Full-bodied, tight and focused — in part thanks to sensational tannin tension that is intense yet polished. Needs five to six years of bottle age to come together. Great second wine of Palmer."
- Item #: i_345941Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 91JEB DUNNUCK 91 POINTS - ""It offers a perfumed, gorgeous bouquet of plums, incense, spice and hints of forest floor. Full-bodied, ripe and rounded, with a sexy, opulent style, lots of mid-palate depth, and a great finish, it's well worth your time and money and is a smoking deal at 20 bucks."
- Item #: i_399920Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 95#55 ON WINE SPECTATOR TOP 100 WINES OF 2018
WINE SPECTATOR 95 POINTS - "This brims with ripe, juicy plum, blackberry and açaí berry flavors, studded with licorice and fruitcake notes and backed by a nicely integrated apple wood detail through the finish. Pumps a lot of fruit out but does so energetically. Best from 2020 through 2035."
- Item #: i_353695Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95Vinous Media: 95James Suckling: 95Jeb Dunnuck: 95JEB DUNNUCK 95 POINTS : "Showing spectacularly well on the two occasions I was able to taste it, the 2016 Château Beau-Séjour Bécot is a blend of 80% Merlot, 15% Cabernet Franc, and 5% Cabernet Sauvignon, aged 16 months in 90% new oak, and hitting a healthy 14.5% natural alcohol. This straight-up classy, seamless, ultra-fine Saint Emilion offers a beautiful bouquet of red currants, white truffles, spice, and flowers. With brilliant limestone character, fabulous intensity on both the nose and palate, ultra-fine tannins, and a magical texture, it’s approachable today yet has another 20+ years of prime drinking."
JAMES SUCKLING 95 POINTS : "Extremely aromatic and lifted on the nose with wild fruit and flowers, as well as chalk and mushroom undertones. Full body and ultra-fine tannins with beautiful grace and balance. Shows structure yet refinement at the same time. Needs four to five years to come completely together, but already so beautiful. Drink after 2023."
WINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS : "Medium to deep garnet-purple colored, the 2016 Beau-Sejour Becot (80% Merlot, 15% Cabernet Franc and 5% Cabernet Sauvignon) is just a little closed to begin, opening out to reveal beautiful chocolate-covered cherries, preserved plums and black raspberries scents with touches of stewed tea, tobacco, red roses and cinnamon stick. Full-bodied and jam-packed with perfumed fruit layers, it has a rock-solid frame of ripe, finely grained tannins and layer upon layer of provocative black fruit and savory layers on the finish."
VINOUS 95 POINTS : "The 2016 Beauséjour Bécot has a sensual bouquet of pure red cherries and crushed strawberry laced with cedar and light graphite scents. The palate is medium-bodied with supple tannin and well-judged acidity. The finish is harmonious and somehow just effortless. This actually reminds me of its neighbor, Château Canon. Could the 2016 represent the best Beauséjour Bécot ever made? Quite possibly."
- Item #: i_353664Bottle Size: 750mlJames Suckling: 90JAMES SUCKLING 90 POINTS - "Attractive nose with loads of candied violets, raspberries and rose petals. Plum and some licorice. Full and nice texture on the palate with charming fruit and fine tannins. Enjoyable finish with medium length and a tasty licorice note. Drink from 2016."
- Item #: i_300152Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 90Wine Spectator: 88James Suckling: 90-91ROBERTPARKER.COM 90 POINTS: "Deep garnet-purple colored, the 2015 Belgrave has a nose of crushed black currant, chocolate-covered cherries, warm plums and lilacs with touches of garrigue and forest floor. Medium to full-bodied with firm, ripe, grainy tannins and wonderfully pure black fruits with lovely floral accents, it finishes long and perfumed."
JAMES SUCKLING 90-91 POINTS: "A rich and spicy young red with chocolate, plum and berry aromas and flavors. Full and silky textured. Very attractive."
WINE SPECTATOR 88 POINTS: "Plump, with a core of steeped plum and fig preserve flavors, inlaid with hints of humus and tobacco. Reveals a juniper note on the relatively soft finish. Drink now through 2020. 18,833 cases made." –JM
- Item #: i_353696Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 96James Suckling: 94Jeb Dunnuck: 94VINOUS 96 POINTS : "The 2015 Brane-Cantenac is powerful, structured and explosive in feel. A deep, resonant wine, the 2015 boasts off the charts ripeness allied to formidable structure and tannic heft. I imagine the 2015 is going to need a number of years to become approachable and more than that to be at its best. The dark stone fruit, smoke, tobacco, spice and leather flavors pack a huge punch, but it is the wine's balance that places it among the elite on the Left Bank in 2015. Brane-Cantenac is a total pleasure bomb. I can't wait to taste it with a little bottle age."
JEB DUNNUCK 94 POINTS : "The 2015 Château Brane-Cantenac checks in as a mix of 70% Cabernet Sauvignon, 26% Merlot and the balance Cabernet Franc and Carmenere brought up in roughly 75% new French oak. This medium to full-bodied beauty excels on all accounts and gives up gorgeous notes of blackcurrants, lead pencil, spice and hints of toasted bread. Polished, impeccably balanced, concentrated, and with ripe tannin, it’s a rock star in 2015 that can be drunk young or cellared for 20-25 years."
JAMES SUCKLING 94 POINTS : "Quite impressive ripe dark plums and blackberries with sweet, earthy depth and cedary background oak on the nose. The palate has smooth, slick tannins that carry rich dark fruit long and fresh. This has terrific energy and depth. Really vibrant. Incredible length."
- Item #: i_344003Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 96-98WINE ADVOCATE 96-98 POINTS: "The 2016 Brane-Cantenac is a blend of 70% Cabernet Sauvignon, 27% Merlot, 2% Cabernet Franc and 1% Carmenere picked from 22 September until 17 October (the tiny parcel of Carmenere picked three days later). The yields came in at 51 hectoliters per hectare and it is matured in 75% new oak and 25% one-year-old barrels, the final alcohol level 13.3%. It has a beautifully defined, very detailed bouquet with mineral-rich black fruit laced with cedar and graphite notes, living up to its nom de plume as the "Pauillac of Margaux." The palate is simply the best that I have ever tasted at the estate, without question. This has presence, but also weightlessness, filigree tannin and perfectly pitched acidity, with real intensity and drive. The tension here is outstanding and the persistence is incredibly long. It is not the showiest of all the 2016s by a long stretch, and yet it is everything you could possibly want from a Margaux. Like Beychevelle this year, the 2016 Brane-Cantenac puts recent vintages in the shade, thanks not only to the growing season, but also a new punching down system in their gravity-fed winery that was completed in 2015. The 2016 is a benchmark against which future vintages will be compared."
- Item #: i_353254Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95WINE ADVOCATE 95+ POINTS: "With some of the oldest vines in all of Bordeaux, especially one parcel from 1905, Belair Monange’s 2012 (14.5% alcohol) is a tribute to this great terroir that was poorly managed and exploited prior to the family of Jean-Pierre Moueix taking over. Now it is Christian Moueix and his son Edouard who manage the property and produce the wine. The 2012 is a beauty, with a deep ruby/purple color, complex notes of minerals, crushed rock, red and black fruits, a medium to full-bodied mouthfeel, great texture, long finish and true ability and character. It should age beautifully for 20 or more years and yet be drinkable another three or four." (APRIL 2015)
VINOUS 95 POINTS: "The 2012 Bélair-Monange brings together power and finesse in what is a very complete expression of Saint-Emilion. Beams of supporting tannins give the 2012 much of its energy. Red stone fruit, chalk, mint, spice and expressive floral notes are all nicely delineated. I expect the Bélair-Monange will drink better earlier than the other top wines in the Moueix stable. This is the first vintage that incorporates the Magdelaine vineyards, which were annexed in 2012. Bélair-Monange is now under the direction of Edouard Moueix, who lives on the property and seems determined to take the estate to the top of the hierarchy in Saint-Emilion. The 2012 is certainly a strong move in that direction."
WINE SPECTATOR 94 POINTS: "This is marked by a pleasantly firm chalky thread which frames and carries the core of pure damson plum, bitter cherry and red currant fruit. Light floral and alder notes hang in the background, while the minerality stretches everything out on the finish. Refined, restrained, long and should cellar well. Best from 2017 through 2027."
JAMES SUCKLING 94 POINTS: "Wonderful wine for the vintage with firm and silky tannins, savory and ripe fruit as well as hints of earth and mushrooms. Chalk and citrus undertones. Full body and a beautiful finish. Addition of Magadeline vineyards shows promise and expanded quality. Better after 2017."
- Item #: i_352922Bottle Size: 750mlJames Suckling: 92Wine Enthusiast: 92Jeb Dunnuck: 93If Chateau Belle-Vue isn't on you radar, it should be! We (happily) taste a lot of wine in the course of sourcing the best for Hi-Time and reject thousands of offerings that don't make the cut. The 2016 Belle-Vue was immediately appealing and several members of our wine staff lingered over this bottle and enjoyed more than one sample in the arduous and noble pursuit of further research.
This ready to drink Bordeaux is showing aromas of violets, black currants, blackberries and dark cherries. Subtle notes of vanilla, baking spice and earth added interest. On the palate, this wine is on the richer side of things, full-bodied and oh so silky smooth.
The quality of this wine is impressive and totally over-delivers for its humble price-point. Noted critic Jeb Dunnuck awarded this wine 93 Points stating Belle-Vue has "ultra-fine tannins and fabulous balance" and "it's almost too good to be true and should be snatched up by readers."
James Suckling said the wine "tastes like a very good Margaux!" This is high praise and actually right on point as Chateau Belle-Vue is located a stone's throw away from the Margaux classified growth, Chateau Giscours.
This rich, juicy, crowd pleasing wine will impress those who are not easily impressed. Even better, we bought everything they had and are selling it at the best price in the nation!
The quality to price ratio for this wine is off the charts and makes this an absolute no brainer.
JEB DUNNUCK 93 POINTS - "The 2016 Château Belle-Vue is one awesome Haut-Médoc as well as an incredible value. Deeply colored, with a powerful bouquet of crème de cassis, black cherries, leafy herbs, and earth, it’s medium to full-bodied, has ultra-fine tannins and fabulous balance. A blend of 45% Cabernet Sauvignon, 35% Merlot, and 20% Petit Verdot, aged in 30% new French oak, it’s almost too good to be true and should be snatched up by readers."
JAMES SUCKLING 92 POINTS - "Thanks to its fragrance and discreet succulence, this tastes like a very good Margaux. That should be no surprise, because Belle-Vue’s vineyards lie immediately south of that appellation. Long and elegant finish. A blend of 45 per cent cabernet sauvignon, 35 per cent merlot and 20 per cent petit verdot. Drink or hold."
WINE ENTHUSIAST 92 POINTS - "This wine has a rich, generous character that gives it a full, dense texture. It has spice, ripe tannins and opulent blackberry tones.
- Item #: i_344263Bottle Size: 750MLJames Suckling: 92Wine Enthusiast: 90JAMES SUCKLING 92 POINTS - "Attractive violets and redcurrants with darker forest berries and graphite, too. The palate has a lithe and plush red-fruit core. Vibrant berries abound. Good wine."
WINE ENTHUSIAST 90 POINTS - "This generous wine comes from a 239-acre property. It has weight, layers of black-currant flavors balanced by rich tannins and juicy acidity. The fruitiness is intense, given essential freshness by the crisp aftertaste."
- Item #: i_346030Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 94-96Wine Spectator: 94-97Vinous Media: 90-93James Suckling: 94-95ROBERTPARKER.COM 94-96 POINTS: "The 2015 Coutet comes with 153 grams per liter of residual sugar at 13.8% alcohol. It has a fragrant bouquet with acacia honey, citrus scents and a touch of melted butter, all very well defined. The palate is medium-bodied with impressive purity, those limestone soils imparting the acidity that defined this Barsac, and lending great precision and tension on the live-wire finish. This is a wonderful Coutet that feels energetic - a compressed spring coil that will drink earlier than the likes of Climens or de Fargues, but has the DNA to age gracefully over 25-30 years"
VINOUSMEDIA 90-94 POINTS: "The 2015 Coutet is nicely lifted, gracious and understated. Candied apple, Jolly Rancher and exotic flowers are all nicely balanced in this attractive, mid-weight Sauternes. This is a very pretty Barsac built on aromatic nuance and bright, salivating acidity." -- Antonio Galloni
WINE SPECTATOR 94-97 POINTS: "Vibrant, with a singed almond frame sprinting along, this offers nectarine, white peach and star fruit notes. Mirabelle plum and pineapple details echo through the finish. Very long, boasting terrific range. Score range: 94-97" –JM
JAMES SUCKLING 94-95 POINTS: "A Coutet with great depth and fruit. So much dried tropical fruit character, bright acidity and fruit sweetness. Vivid and clean."
- Item #: i_353381Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 93James Suckling: 94Wine Enthusiast: 94JAMES SUCKLING 94 POINTS - "Extremely deep and ripe on the nose with dried-berry, chocolate and plum aromas that follow through to a full body, round and soft tannins and a flavorful finish. A rich and soft-tannin structure to the wine. Try after 2024."
WINE ENTHUSIAST 94 POINTS - "Partnered with Château Giscours as far as the winemaking team is concerned, this estate has created its own style. This wine shows a hint of initial austerity before opening out with rich fruits and structure. It needs time and the wine will not be ready to drink before 2025."
WINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS - "Fresh damson plum, bitter cherry and savory notes are seamlessly layered together, with fresh tobacco and a flash of iron checking in on the pure, silky, persistent finish, where the slightly high-pitched fruit plays out nicely. Best from 2021 through 2032."
- Item #: i_351078Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92Wine Spectator: 91Vinous Media: 92James Suckling: 94JAMES SUCKLING 94 POINTS - "A vivid and bright red with plum and spice plus hints of cedar and sandalwood. Medium to full body, silky tannins and a flavorful finish. The plush tannins to this give it weight and opulence. Needs a year or two to soften."
WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "Medium to deep garnet-purple in color, the 2015 Fombrauge offers up aromas of baked berries, dried mulberries and preserved plums with touches of Indian spices and game. Medium to full-bodied with loads of expressive fruit, it has firm, grainy tannins and finishes with a lively lift."
- Item #: i_351551Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96+ROBERT PARKER 96+ POINTS: "Medium to deep garnet-purple in color, the 2016 Fonplegade opens with a very savory nose of smoked meats, tapenade, sautéed herbs and beef drippings over a core of plum preserves, chocolate-covered cherries and cedar chest plus wafts of violets and cigars. Medium to full-bodied, the palate possesses both intensity and elegance, with the black fruit layers superbly framed by firm, fine-grained tannins and wonderful freshness, finishing long and mineral laced."
- Item #: i_350591Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93-95Wine Spectator: 93-96James Suckling: 93-94Decanter: 94Jeb Dunnuck: 94WINE ADVOCATE 93-95 POINTS: "Deep garnet-purple colored, the 2018 Fonplegade strides confidently out of the glass with bold black cherries, warm plums and black raspberry scents plus hints of cedar chest, pencil shavings, lavender, garrigue and camphor. Full-bodied, rich and packed with expressive black fruits, it has a firm, velvety texture and just enough freshness, finishing long."
- Item #: i_350835Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 93WINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS: "Wonderfully ripe, with a well-focused beam of raspberry coulis, currant preserve and cherry paste flavors coursing atop a refined chalky spine. Light anise, violet and black tea notes weave in and out on the long finish. Lovely cut."
- Item #: i_353865Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 90James Suckling: 93The 2016 Chateau La Bastienne is a delicious wine and a fantastic value-a pairing we love! We tasted this and loved the quality of the perfectly ripened fruit, which is really a hallmark of the great 2016 vintage in Bordeaux. La Bastienne echoes some of the outstanding values we have featured recently such as Chateau Belle-Vue, Chateau Puygueraud and Chateau La Prade. The rich, dark fruited juiciness of this wine is very pleasing. Critic James Suckling is also a fan, giving this wine a 93 Point score while saying it offers a very fleshy and attractive set of supple fruit."
Montagne Saint Emilion is a great place to look for value and boasts many of the best attributes of its neighbor St. Emilion. The village of Montagne is a reference to the rolling hills of this appellation. The soils are a mix of clay and limestone with well-drained slopes and a Southerly to South-Westerly exposure that provides maximum sunshine right up to harvest time. These privileged natural conditions help ensure that the grapes are perfectly ripe and reach their optimal expression.
Francois Janoueix fell in love with Chateau La Bastienne and was convinced the terroir was able to produce great wine in Montagne Saint-Emilion. Today, his grandson Pierre-Emmanuel continues his vision and the wines he makes are worth seeking out.
Driven by the same love of wine-making & craftmanship as his ancestors, he now oversees 25 acres of vineyards which average 50 years of age. The vineyards are planted to 80% merlot and 20% cabernet franc and the grapes are hand harvested. After vinification, the wine gains complexity while spending one year in French oak barrels. The result is a delicious, supple wine showcasing rich and juicy fruit framed by supple tannins.
The 2016 Chateau La Bastienne is a great wine to enjoy and completely over delivers for the price. Even better, we have it at the lowest price in the country!
JAMES SUCKLING 93 POINTS - "Very rich blackberry and vibrant fruit aromas in the mulberry and dark-plum spectrum with a concentrated palate that offers a very fleshy and attractive set of supple fruit, framed in ripe, sturdy tannins."
WINE ADVOCATE 90 POINTS - "The 2016 La Bastienne is medium to deep garnet-purple colored and features fragrant roses, oolong tea and baking spices scents with touches of warm plums, black cherries and raspberry pie. Medium to full-bodied, the palate is packed with expressive red berry and floral layers with a fine-grained frame and long, lively finish."
- Item #: i_353348Bottle Size: 750mlJames Suckling: 92JAMES SUCKLING 92 POINTS - "A soft and juicy wine with plums, chocolate and some violets. Medium to full body and a round and caressing tannin texture. Flavorful finish. Drink in 2020 but already gorgeous."
- Item #: i_346041Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 93Vinous Media: 94James Suckling: 93Decanter: 93Wine Enthusiast: 95If you missed out on the email this morning, don't worry! We have another delicious, critically acclaimed wine from the excellent 2015 vintage and the same region of Bordeaux. Latour Martillac is one of those producers which consistently over-delivers as it flies slightly under the radar. Its not surprising that this Chateau excelled in the 2015 vintage. A quick search reveals at least 5 critics awarded Latour Martillac 93 Points or more.
This traditional Bordeaux blend is composed of 54% Cabernet Sauvignon, 40% Merlot and 6% Petit Verdot. This outstanding wine delivers a delicious and richly fruited wine at a compelling price. It is densely packed and seductive with a lovely mouthfeel. Latour Martillac is a great one to stock up on as it possesses the fruit and stuffing to deliver pleasure for years to come.
This is another fantastic wine to grab while you can. We have a very limited amount and once again when it’s gone, it’s gone!
WINE ENTHUSIAST 95 POINTS - "Solid tannins mark this still very young wine. At the same time, the fruit is rich and well proportioned. Black currants dominate the fruity spectrum, giving the wine richness as well as great potential."
WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "Medium to deep garnet-purple colored, the 2015 Latour Martillac has a spicy nose of cinnamon stick, cloves and aniseed with a core of red and black cherries and a waft of fragrant earth. The palate is medium-bodied with plenty of juicy fruit and a firm frame of fine-grained tannins with bags of freshness lifting the finish."
VINOUS 94 POINTS - "The 2015 Latour-Martillac is a powerful, muscular wine. Beams of tannin give the 2015 its potent, brooding personality. Savory herbs, new leather, wild cherry, smoke and kirsch get an extra kick of intensity from bright acids and pointed yet well-integrated tannins. Today, the 2015 is a bit reticent and tightly wound, but that should be less of an issue with more time in bottle."
DECANTER 93 POINTS - "Powerful, finessed and deeply textured, with well-balanced cassis and blackberry fruit. It shows great appellation signature, a testament to the vintage. Will age beautifully."
JAMES SUCKLING 93 POINTS - "Some handy depth here. Ripe dark cherries and blackberries are framed in slightly nutty, cedary and spicy oak. The palate's built on polished layered tannin sheets, delivering depth and sturdiness amid fresh flavors of dark cherries and cassis."
- Item #: i_353162Bottle Size: 750mlBIODYNAMIC
Mouthwatering Kirsch, raspberry, black truffle, sous-bois, foraged bounty, crushed leaves, and cherry blossom. It is impeccably fresh, and a perfect balance of fruit and earth. On the palate, layers on layers of red fruit laced with mineral. This is medium+ bodied and packed with a velvety tannic backbone.
- Item #: i_353199Bottle Size: 750mlIn the nose, Château Villars shows great freshness, floral or fruity depending on the year, and a touch of spices. On the palate it unfolds into powerfully crafted, very elegant tannins. Drink or age for up to 10 more years.
- Item #: i_346014Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 96Wine Spectator: 95Vinous Media: 98James Suckling: 97Decanter: 94Wine Enthusiast: 96Jeb Dunnuck: 98JEB DUNNUCK 98 POINTS: "Possibly the finest vintage of this cuvée to date, the 2016 Château Pavie Macquin comes from a cooler, later terroir on the upper plateau and checks in as 82% Merlot, 16% Cabernet Franc, and 2% Cabernet Sauvignon aged in 50% new oak. This deep, inky-colored effort boasts a rock star bouquet of blackcurrants, black cherries, white truffle, graphite, and spice. Deep, rich, and powerful on the palate, yet also balanced, elegant, and seamless, with ultra-fine tannins, this seamless beauty needs a decade of cellaring and will keep for 4-5 decades."
ROBERTPARKER.COM 96 POINTS: "Deep garnet-purple in color, the 2016 Pavie Macquin charges out of the glass with gregarious black cherries, warm blackberries and wild blueberries scents followed up by loads of red roses, baking spices, cedar chest and unsmoked cigars sparks plus a waft of wild thyme. Medium to full-bodied, the palate is an exercise in poise, revealing layer upon layer of cherries and berries flavors and tons of savory nuances, framed by firm yet exquisitely ripe tannins, finishing very long."
VINOUSMEDIA 98 POINTS: "The 2016 Pavie Macquin is a total stunner. Rich, lush and inviting, the 2016 is a drop-dead gorgeous beauty. Sweet red cherry, plum, rose petal, lavender and mint are all given an extra kick of allure by silky tannins that caress the palate from start to finish. There is a level of precision and nuance here that is simply breathtaking. The purity of the fruit is just mind-boggling."
WINE SPECTATOR 95 POINTS: "Engaging, with a gush of warm raspberry, plum and boysenberry compote flavors leading the way, while red licorice, apple wood and sweet tobacco notes strut through the finish. Nice intensity overall gives this a mouthwatering echo and pulls you back for more."