- Item #: i_345449Bottle Size: 750MLAubert de Villaine may be more famous for managing the legendary estate of Domaine de la Romanée Conti (DRC) but his passion for producing exemplary Pinot Noir, Chardonnay, and Aligoté does not begin and end with the wines from the Cote de Beaune. Truth be told, his true winemaking love lies south of those world renowned vineyards in the Cote Chalonaise district, one of Burgundy's best-kept secrets. The greatness of Aubert's wines cannot be overstated. They are among the finest that the region has to offer and are the ultimate expression of Pinot Noir and Chardonnay. His innovative approach to winemaking spans the pages of time, incorporating tradition with a modernist’s mastery for precision and truth. Designed for immediate consumption or moderate to long-term aging, the red and white wines from Aubert's Maconnais vineyards are a must-have for anyone who is passionate about the wines of Burgundy.
- Item #: i_345448Bottle Size: 750MLBIODYNAMIC
Fermentation and aging is identical to the Fortune and Digoine except the wine stays in tank for 14-17 days during fermentation In general, this style of fermentation depends exclusively on the quality of the grapes that enters the cellar. The balance and vibrancy in these wines comes from the quality of the grapes, the level of maturity, their cleanliness, and the quality of the skin. If everything is in balance, the wines will express their village of origin to reveal their native terroir.
- Item #: i_350551Bottle Size: 750mlThe 2015 Bourgogne Pinot Noir, which comes from vines between Nuits Saint-Georges and Flagey-Echézeaux, saw up to 40% new oak due to the tannins. It has an attractive bouquet with lightly spiced black fruit, touches of limestone and freshly tilled soil emerging with time. The palate is medium-bodied with supple tannin, the new oak neatly integrated with good substance towards the quite elegant finish. This is one of the best Bourgognes that I encountered from the 2015 vintage.
- Item #: i_350722Bottle Size: 750mlBurghound: 88-91The Chambolle-Musigny is a beauty made from several different plots located quite high in the Chambolle appellation south of the village – i.e. from a quite cool area. This translates into a gorgeous village – the bouquet is brimming with fresh red fruit with notes of red currant, pomegranate and forest strawberries – infused by a classic Chambolle minerality. On the palate very vibrant offering gorgeous mid-palate fruit brought forward by a fresh acidity and the filigree minerality. A truly lovely Chambolle village.
- Item #: i_351964Bottle Size: 750mlBURGHOUND 91 POINTS - "A spicy mix of both red and dark currant combines with notes of violet, tea and clove. This is also exceptionally intense with excellent detail and punch to the medium-bodied, sappy and caressing flavors that deliver first-rate persistence for a villages level Vosne. This too is worth a look provided you have at least some patience."
- Item #: i_351962Bottle Size: 750mlThis Bourgogne rouge is surprisingly charming and floral. This Pinot is a blend of seven different plots around Cote de Nuits, 50% from Chambolle Musigny appellation, 25% from Nuits Saint Georges, and 25% from Vosne Romanée. Flamboyant aroma of supple rose petal, wild strawberries, and raspberry. 60% whole cluster. Great lightness and gentleness.
- Item #: i_353936Bottle Size: 750mlBen and his team carefully guide the vineyard work, for the most part carried out by the owners. Vines are plowed and are at least lutte raisonne´e, while many are organic or biodynamic. When Ben deems necessary, his team carries out green harvest themselves. All vines are harvested by Ben’s team and grapes are sorted at the winery in Beaune. Ben’s cuverie is fitted with state of the art equipment.
- Item #: i_345936Bottle Size: 750mlBurghound: 87-89The 2017 Fixin Les Clos comes from a climat close to the Marsannay border, from one parcel of 1.30 hectares consisting of vines from 10 to 90 years old. It sees 20% new oak. It has an engaging, quite exuberant bouquet of vibrant red fruit infused with hints of violet; the oak is deftly enmeshed.
- Item #: i_350514Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 91-93WINE ADVOCATE 91-93 POINTS - "The 2016 Fixin en Combe Roy includes around 40% whole bunch fruit. It has a clean and fresh bouquet with blackberry and raspberry fruit, wet stone and a hint of orange blossom. The palate is very well balanced, and the whole bunch is well disguised, merely lending more freshness and tension on the sorbet-fresh finish. Excellent."
- Item #: i_353489Bottle Size: 750mlThis comes from four parcels and sees no new oak. It`s bottled early to retain fruit and freshness. This has good concentration and a darker colour. It shows blueberry fruit - something I`ve noticed on a few Grands Crus elsewhere - and it`s delicious.
- Item #: i_350513Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 90-92WINE ADVOCATE 90-92 POINTS - "The 2017 Fixin 1er Cru Les Arvelets exhibits lovely aromas of sweet berries, spicy forest floor and grilled game, followed by a medium to full-bodied, ample and satiny palate, its sinewy tannins cloaked in fleshy fruit, balanced by juicy acids. This is an utterly charming Arvelets that will be hard to resist on release."
- Item #: i_353490Bottle Size: 750ml1.07 hectares from two parcels: Réas and la Rivière. Primary fermentation in cement tank and then moved to barrels for malolactic fermentation and aging. 35% new oak
Amélie Berthaut's emergence as one of Burgundy's rising stars by now needs no reiteration, but the quality of her 2017 portfolio demonstrates that the plaudits she has received are amply justified.Berthaut has a magic touch. The wines are alive and vibrant, and offer a truly unique expression.
Amélie insists that the most important work happens in the vineyards and working the soil. She follows lutte raisonnée farming, with a strong leaning towards organic viticulture: no herbicides or pesticides in the vineyards. The biggest threats are oidium and mildew, but she avoids spraying at all if possible.
- Item #: i_353017Bottle Size: 750mlDomaine Boisson-Vadot is one of the finest, outstanding small producers in the village of Meursault that are not particularly well known beyond their native France, but which produce stellar examples of Meursault. The estate is currently run by the father and son team of Bernard and Pierre Boisson, who turn out between three and four thousand cases of wine per year.
No-brainer red Burg buy from one of the hottest names with those in the know. You have to try at least one of these!
- Item #: i_351034Bottle Size: 750mlThe Boisson-Vadot wines are the best bottles of Burgundy that you've never heard of. They are largely consumed by a dedicated following in France. What is exported to the US overwhelmingly ends up on wine lists at The French Laundry and Eleven Madison Park.
Bernard, his son Pierre, and daughter Anne, are the best kept secret in Burgundy's Côte de Beaune. The family's friendship with Domaine Coche-Dury has clearly had an impact on the style of wine here, one with a magical touch of reduction that so many try to emulate with very few finding similar success. Here that reduction is executed brilliantly, offering a flinty and saturating mineral quality matched with deep texture and outrageous concentration and length.
- Item #: i_353322Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 91WINE SPECTATOR 91 POINTS - "A big red, rich in texture, laced with black cherry, pomegranate and violet notes, showing hints of iron and earth. Features a solid structure underneath and finishes long and sappy."
- Item #: i_353333Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 92WINE SPECTATOR 92 POINTS - "Elegant and lacy, offering floral, cherry, strawberry and spice aromas and flavors. Balanced, juicy and approachable now, yet should gain depth over the next few years. Best from 2019 through 2028. 100 cases imported."