- Item #: i_333545Bottle Size: 750MLThe de Villaines farm three appellations within the Côte Chalonaise, namely Bouzeron (Aligoté), Rully (Chardonnay) and Mercurey (Pinot Noir). Their single-vineyard parcels are stunning examples of what this complex and amazing terroir can yield. Though their wines are quite enjoyable young, their ability to age well is what one might expect from a master such as de Villaine. Much of this is due to both the diversity of his vinestock and his organic and biodynamic methodology in the vineyards, both of which Aubert stands by with great conviction. He also ferments his Mercureys in wood cuves, a style adopted from DRC.
- Item #: i_345449Bottle Size: 750MLAubert de Villaine may be more famous for managing the legendary estate of Domaine de la Romanée Conti (DRC) but his passion for producing exemplary Pinot Noir, Chardonnay, and Aligoté does not begin and end with the wines from the Cote de Beaune. Truth be told, his true winemaking love lies south of those world renowned vineyards in the Cote Chalonaise district, one of Burgundy's best-kept secrets. The greatness of Aubert's wines cannot be overstated. They are among the finest that the region has to offer and are the ultimate expression of Pinot Noir and Chardonnay. His innovative approach to winemaking spans the pages of time, incorporating tradition with a modernist’s mastery for precision and truth. Designed for immediate consumption or moderate to long-term aging, the red and white wines from Aubert's Maconnais vineyards are a must-have for anyone who is passionate about the wines of Burgundy.
- Item #: i_345448Bottle Size: 750MLBIODYNAMIC
Fermentation and aging is identical to the Fortune and Digoine except the wine stays in tank for 14-17 days during fermentation In general, this style of fermentation depends exclusively on the quality of the grapes that enters the cellar. The balance and vibrancy in these wines comes from the quality of the grapes, the level of maturity, their cleanliness, and the quality of the skin. If everything is in balance, the wines will express their village of origin to reveal their native terroir.
- Item #: i_322611Bottle Size: 750MLWINE ADVOCATE 90 POINTS - "The 2017 Bourgogne Côte Chalonnaise La Digoine opens in the glass with a reserved bouquet of smoky blackberries, raspberries and bay leaf, followed by a medium to full-bodied, fleshy and supple palate that's open and charming, concluding with a spice-inflected finish."
Winemaker's Notes "La Digoine is a site at the foot of a slope, known for centuries to provide the deep soil and growing conditions necessary for excellent red wine. Our vineyard here is planted in moderate-yield Pinot Noir. La Digoine can be drunk very young. Within two or three months of bottling, it demonstrates immediate appeal with red berry fruit and a balance of roundness, structure, and lenght on the palate.
However, this is another versatil wine which benefits from bottle aging. After 18 to 24 months, slow maturation and evolution begin to make their mark, and La Digoine will improve over the next ten year, revealing the deep, complex aromas worthy of a great burgundy. Depending on cellar conditions, we recommanded twelve to fifteen years of aging.
Serving temperature for a young La Digoine should be around 60°F, and around 64°F for an older one. It goes well with red meat and any of a variety of cheeses, though soft cheeses like Camembert, Brie, and Vacherin should be avoided."
- Item #: i_311377Bottle Size: 750MLWinemaker's Notes - "Our Bouzeron comes from vines situated on the best slopes of the appellations. We have planted the golden Aligoté doré grape, which gives lowers yield and more aromatic wines than its cousin, the Aligoté vert. True to its varietal nature, our Bouzeron is a liveley, fruity wine, but it also has a finesse and roundness that spring from the essential nature of the terroir. These qualities lend it great versatility. To best appreciate the freshness and fruit, it would be drunk young, within two or three years. To allow the wine to fully develop fullness and "fatness", age it for up to ten years. It should be served chilled, at about 54°F, as an apéritif, with seafood, or with a number of cheeses (goat cheese, Cantal, Beaufort, Parmesan, Roquefort, etc."
- Item #: i_374624Bottle Size: 750mlFor the Chauvet, harmony in champagne is not just important, it is elemental. As such, they are regional champions of the art of blending Chardonnay and Pinot Noir, and they take an unabashedly classical approach in the vineyards and in the cellars. Farming their family’s 10 hectares sustainably in five of the Montagne de Reims’s 17 grand crus—Bouzy, Ambonnay, Verzy, Verzenay and Bisseuil— one feels a complex synergy to the final wines where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. Long fermentations and extended élevages on the lees help develop complexity and fine aromatics, while also radically reducing the need for sulfur and eschewing the need for malolactic fermentations. In the end, their harmony in both their partnership and practice yields elegant, earthy and aromatic champagnes with a fine, satiny mousse that dances across the palate. That they are also capable of long cellar aging is a fitting legacy for a family who has endured since 1848, and whose family home in Tours-sur-Marne features an immaculately preserved salon, dating to the early 1900's.
- Item #: i_325554Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 921 1/2 Stars ChampagneGuide.net-"Compared to Agrapart's 7 Crus, this is both finer in texture and larger in body-you see the influence of grand cru terroir not only in finesse but in puissance as well. It's intensely chalky under the silky notes of pear, green citrus and guava, anchored by vibrant acidity, and it feels fragrant and flowery on the long finish, demonstrating a superb balance and focus. Last tasted: 11/13."-Peter Leim
- Item #: i_379709Bottle Size: 750MLJOHN GILMAN VIEW FROM THE CELLAR 92 POINTS-"It had been a few years since I last tasted a bottle of Agrapart’s lovely “Les 7 Crus” cuvée. The wine is really lovely, offering up a pure and complex bouquet of apple, tart pear, chalky minerality, citrus zest and fresh-baked bread. On the palate the wine is deep, full-bodied, focused and complex, with a lovely core, elegant mousse, fine focus and a very long, zesty and perfectly balanced finish. This is one lower dosage bottling that is drinking with style and grace in its youth. 2016-2030."
- Item #: i_345736Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 94Jeb Dunnuck: 94JEB DUNNUCK 94 POINTS - "As to the 2017s from bottle, the 2017 Cornas Les Chailles is brilliant, and readers should snatch it up. Rocking blueberries, blackberries, ground pepper, leafy herbs, violets, and graphite notes all flow to a textured, opulent Cornas that has sweet tannins, no hard edges, and flawless balance. It's brilliant bottle of wine that's going to knock it out of the park on the value scale. As with the 2018, it’s from a mix of terroirs, was destemmed, and brought up in used barrels."
WINE SPECTATOR 94 POINTS - "A bright and fresh style, leading off with floral and bay leaf elements, followed by brisk-edged cassis and damson plum fruit flavors. The racy, mineral-pierced finish shows good persistence."
- Item #: i_351699Bottle Size: 750mlDecanter: 96Jeb Dunnuck: 97JEB DUNNUCK 97 POINTS - "The 2017 Cornas Les Vieilles Vignes is cut from the same mold yet has a touch more tannins as well as mid-palate density. Notes of crème de cassis, blueberries, camphor, toasted spice, and smoked game all soar from the glass, and it's full-bodied, power-packed, yet elegant and seamless on the palate. Its wealth of fruit largely conceals plenty of underlying structure, and while it's already fun to taste, give bottles 4-5 years and enjoy over the following 10-15 years or more. The old vine cuvée comes from the Combe, Patou, La Côte, Les Mazards, and Chaillot lieu-dits, from 60+-year-old vines, was 80% destemmed and spent 20 months in 15-20% new French oak."
DECANTER 96 POINTS - "Vines with an average age of 60 years from lieux-dits Combe, Patou, La Côte, Les Mazards and Chaillot provide the fruit for this Cornas. It spends 20 months in barriques, around 20% new. There are multiple layers to the aromatic palate: rosemary, thyme, herbal bitters, blackberry, blackcurrant and loganberry. A medium-bodied, concentrated but unforced wine with no excessive extraction, a subtly spiced finish and sinewy, brushed tannins. Detailed, focussed, structured and textural, this is captivating and true to its terroir."
- Item #: i_351957Bottle Size: 750mlDry Muscat, from one of Alsace’s most historic estates. Akin to riding a unicorn through a rainbow in an enchanted field of blossoming wildflowers. Like biting into all the juiciest fruits in the world—at once. And then that clean, mouthwatering, dry finish . . . This is not just Muscat, it is Boxler’s Muscat sec. Give it a try.
- Item #: i_353438Bottle Size: 750mlThis highly aromatic Côte de Brouilly oozes with flavors of kirsch, crushed rocks, potpourri, and ripe raspberries. Juicy and fresh, the wine’s tangy acidity and structured backbone lead to a long finish. Drink over the next five years.
- Item #: i_353437Bottle Size: 750mlPRACTICING ORGANIC
The wines have a seductive aromatic component, a silky texture, and a downright deliciousness that is unmistakably Foillard. After all, Alex used tried-and-true techniques to craft his wines: whole-cluster fermentation with natural yeasts, no fining or filtration, and no additives of any kind save for a minute sulfur dose at bottling. The new generation at Domaine Foillard has burst onto the scene with a bang, and the future is full of exciting possibilities for this talented Beaujolais youngster.
- Item #: i_376462Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 90WINE SPECTATOR 91 -"A sleek and minerally rosé, with hints of graphite and spice lacing the pretty apricot and white cherry fruit flavors as they ride the lively mousse. Racy acidity firms the finish. Disgorged November 2018. Drink now. 4,000 cases made, 1,500 cases imported. (12/19)"
- Item #: i_353216Bottle Size: 750ml"The 2018 Bourgogne Côte d'Or offers up a pretty bouquet of ripe citrus fruits, warm spices, honeycomb and apples, followed by a medium-bodied, lively palate that's open-knit but precise, concluding with a delicately chalky finish. It's a fine introduction to this new domaine's elegant style." William Kelley, The Wine Advocate
- Item #: i_321045Bottle Size: 750ml100% JACQUERE
From 50 year old vines grown on marl and limestone. This light easy driking wine is the perfect hot weather wine. Low alcohol, light and flavorful perfect before dinner or for just sitting on the patio taking in the sun.
- Item #: i_376185Bottle Size: 750mlJOHN TYSON THE CHAMPAGNE GUIDE 96 POINTS - "Clouet's flagship is a radiant, golden silk-satin ballgown of ravishing complexity and breathtaking grace, a delicate high-heeled balancing act of refreshing poise in the midst of profound concentration. Its richness ventures to Champagne's outer limits of succulent white fruits of all kinds, grilled pineapple, honey and great complexity of brioche, nougat and butter. Celebrating a generous 50% reserve from solera, its rumbling maturity is proclaimed in hints of butterscotch, coffee beans, and smouldering hearth. Just when you fear it is all too much to behold the vibrant energy of its 2002 base wine swoops into a finish defined by well-poised acidity and softly mineral, fine chalk texture. It holds it posture of tall, slender magnificence for minutes without ever dropping its determined gaze."
We have had our sights on the Champagnes of Jean-Francois Clouet for long time since, by all accounts, he is one of the top Pinot Noir specialists in all of Champagne. This limited bottling (yes, you guessed it, just 1911 were produced) is drawn from Jean-Francois’ ten best plots all situated mid-slope in the “golden square” of Bouzy. This is an amazing wine that would have placed near the top of our list if only there had been more available. Australian scribe, Tyson Stelzer, flipped for it, writing: ”Clouet’s flagship is a radiant, golden silk-satin ball gown of ravishing complexity and breathtaking grace, a delicate high-heeled balancing act of refreshing poise in the midst of profound concentration. Its richness ventures to Champagne’s outer limits of succulent white fruits of all kinds, grilled pineapple, honey and great complexity of brioche, nougat and butter. Celebrating a generous 50% reserve from solera, its rumbling maturity is proclaimed in hints of butterscotch, coffee beans, and smoldering hearth. Just when you fear it is all too much to behold the vibrant energy of its 2002 base wine swoops into a finish defined by well-poised acidity and softly mineral, fine chalk texture. It holds its posture of tall, slender magnificence for minutes without ever dropping its determined gaze. 96 Points.”
- Item #: i_376772Bottle Size: 750mlWINE ADVOCATE 90 POINTS-"Unfortunately I was only able to taste one new release from Andre Clouet this year. The NV Brut Grande Reserve emerges from the glass with layers of hazelnut, pear, spice and dried flower aromas. This rich, creamy wine impresses for its balance and sheer richness. I loved it. This is Lot L06. Anticipated maturity: 2011-2014."(11/11)
Fashioned from 100% Bouzy and Ambonnay Pinot Noir form the 2009 and 2008 vintages with 30% of the base wine fermented in used Sauterenes barrels. The bouquet is open airy with inviting sourdough, yellow plum, citrus and Macintosh apple notes. This is a concentrated, but not at all ponderous, Champagne with a palate that features appetizing summer and citrus fruits seamlessly wedded to oak derived notions of honey, toast and brown spices. The low (6g/l) dosage works well here to keep everything lively while also letting Champagnes chalk and soil character to come to the fore. This intricately crafted Brut beautifully marries power and poise in way that one seldom finds at this low price point.
- Item #: i_376767Bottle Size: 750mlTHE CHAMPAGNE GUIDE 95 POINTS - "I say 10% of the blend is from my blood!' declares Jean-Francois Clouet, who has changed the style of his family's rose to a fresher and more direct mood, not so soft, aiming for the lively impression of malic acidity, even though it goes through full malolactic fermentation. The result is arose that epitomises elegance and focus, in the midst of generous red fruits that characterise Bouzy and Ambonnay. This cuvee encapsulates the wonderful talent of Pinot Noir to build and rise on the finish, opening to wonderful characters of perfumed rosehip, pink pepper and pomegrate. An undercurrent of fine, chalk mineral texture, accurate line and persevering length define a pristine and enticingly priced rose."
- Item #: i_350697Bottle Size: 750mlORGANIC
The Aligoté is the traditional white grape of Burgundy. 60 year-old vines from within the commune of Meursault. This is a great value, and we should all be thankful that the Boissons have resisted the temptation to re-plant this site with Chardonnay.
Burgundy Aligoté reveals a very aromatic nose of fresh almonds and quince. This balanced and straight wine has a lovely mineral taste on the finish.
- Item #: i_350698Bottle Size: 750mlThe wines of Domaine Boisson-Vadot have always been excellent, with a classic, soil-driven and racy style not encumbered by excessive new oak or extensive battonage, but the wines have taken a notable step up in quality now that father and son Boisson are working side by side. The Boisson family have been vignerons in Meursault for more than two centuries, and the wines today are as fine as they have ever been in the long and illustrious family history.
- Item #: i_351473Bottle Size: 750mlDomaine Boisson, located in Meursault, was not very well known until recently. It was a kind of hidden gem. The domaine is part of the family Domaine Boisson-Vadot which is divided into three entities: the parents have Boisson-Vadot, the son Pierre Boisson and the daughter Anne Boisson. The élevage for the wines is long (between 15 and 20 months) and the quality of the wine is regular, with great finesse and infinite finish. The Meursault Sous la Velle has an open bouquet with aromas of citrus and white-fleshed fruit (apple and pear) and acacia notes. It has a fresh, nicely fruity palate with a distinctive mineral quality.
- Item #: i_353801Bottle Size: 750mlAnne Gros simply is one of the top winemakers in Burgundy today, which explains why her wines have inspired such a cult-like following. Importantly for us, Gros personifies the sort of winemaker with whom we have always sought to work: an artisan with a clear vision of her terroir and talents, and the grace to be humble despite the weight of Burgundian tradition and family history.