- Item #: i_350484Bottle Size: 750mlBURGHOUND 93 POINTS - " An expressive yet cool nose offers up aromas of citrus peel, floral and white-fleshed orchard fruit that are trimmed in just enough wood and menthol to notice. There is good vibrancy to the delicious and exceptionally rich middle weight flavors that possess outstanding complexity on the beautifully long if still youthfully austere finale. At least some patience will definitely be required. *Sweet Spot, Outstanding*"
- Item #: i_352054Bottle Size: 750mlThis is brought up just like a top tier wine from Meursault with about 10% new French oak for 12 months followed by 6 months in stainless steel before bottling (known as the "Roulot method"). It brims with stony minerals, Meyer lemon zest and is packed with tension and shimmering acidity, rounded with just a kiss of new oak. This is flat out brilliant Chardonnay that you need in your glass NOW!
- Item #: i_351569Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 90-92 PointsThe march of time continues unabated as spring starts its sublime sojourn toward summer. Warm days may meet some rain and still-chilly nights as Mother Nature sorts her wardrobe, not quite ready for the full warmth of the sun. As always, our palates, plates and pantries reflect the current climes, reflecting and reacting to how the mercury moves. We strive each month to find a wine that matches the mood of the weather as well as the call of the calendar. And this month, we found a crowd-pleasing winner of a wine that will pair with all of the above.
A blend of Grenache and Syrah (50/50), the grapes are sourced from vineyards on the left bank of the Rhône River, grown on alluvial and gravelly soils.
Mixed red and black fruits fill the nose as secondary notes of incense, cedar and forest floor resolve to hints of rose petal, mulberry and a touch of herbal influence. Dark black fruits, black berries and blackcurrant, are balanced by silky tannins. Layers of dark spices and earth uplift the dark fruits as they crest the wave of the finish, slowly receding yet flavorful still. Pair with spring lamb, Easter banquets, hearty stews or hard cheeses. Remember, it's never too early to warm up the grill for summer!
Remember, it's never to early to warm up the grill for summer!
JEB DUNNUCK 90-92 POINTS -"The 2016 Côtes du Rhône Samorens is a 50/50 split of Grenache and Syrah that’s completely unoaked and brought up all in concrete. Rounded, sexy and even voluptuous, with terrific purity in its black raspberry, violet and incense aromatics, this medium to full-bodied beauty has no hard edges, silky tannin and a great finish."
- Item #: i_334089Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 95WINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS - "Half of this all-Grenache cuvée matures in foudre, while the other half stays in concrete. The result is just over 1,000 cases of the 2016 Chateauneuf du Pape le Puy Rolland—the best Font du Loup I've ever tasted. Pine and rosemary notes accent cherries and red berries, while hints of black tea, orange zest and rose petals appear on the silky finish. This is full-bodied but nearly weightless, with silky tannins on the finish."
- Item #: i_351595Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 92WINE SPECTATOR 92 POINTS - "A bright, fresh, mineral-driven style, with mouthwatering white pepper and rose petal notes gilding a core of damson plum and blood orange flavors. The long, sleek finish is mouthwatering. Drink now through 2030."
- Item #: i_375831Bottle Size: 750mlPETER LEIM ONE STAR-"This is the first release of a new cuvée: 40 percent of it is 2015 Meunier from the village of Chambrecy, while the rest is Cumières Meunier with a little Pinot Noir and Chardonnay, from 2014, 2013 and 2011. It’s broad and earthy, with a generous build and a pronounced signature of heavy clay soils. There’s a hint of oak, as a portion of this was fermented and aged in new barrels, but overall this is forward in its fruitiness and more precociously accessible than Laval’s Cumières blend. Last tasted: 5/17."
- Item #: i_352094Bottle Size: 750mlThe wines are transparent, pure and intense in a effortless way .. airy and almost silky with a refined expression without being polished and lacking terroir expresssion and personality. The have a magnificent inner energy and while silky they seem to have a delicate tension and drive that makes them both unique and very enjoyable.
- Item #: i_350068Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 91-93Decanter: 95 PointsDECANTER 95 POINTS - "From a single unbroken plot near the village of Gigondas, matured in old foudres for 18-24 months, producing a single wine - no special cuvées. It has a lovely nose, really detailed with vibrant damson compote and blackberries. Black cherries can also be coaxed out, alongside some lavender and dark chocolate. The palate is medium-bodied, really fresh and crisp, with a long, herbal finish. It's already dangerously drinkable and buzzes with life. Really top stuff, with a lightness of touch and elegance that some others lack this year."
- Item #: i_311337Bottle Size: 750MLJeb Dunnuck: 95 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 95 POINTS - "The finest vintage to date is unquestionably the 2016 Gigondas Terrasses de Diable, which is the usual blend of 85% Grenache and the balance Mourvèdre and Cinsault. It offers classic framboise, limestone-like minerality, white flowers, pepper, and Asian spices in its full-bodied, seamless, incredibly pure personality. With no hard edges, ultra-fine tannins, perfect balance, and a great finish, it's a sensational Gigondas to drink over the coming decade or more."
- Item #: i_344288Bottle Size: 750MLJeb Dunnuck: 94 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 94 - 96 POINTS - ""Possibly the finest vintage of this cuvée to date, the 2016 Châteauneuf-du-Pape Les Origines (50% Grenache, 30% Mourvèdre, and the balance Syrah) offers a full-bodied, unctuous, yet thrillingly pure style in its black raspberry, cassis, licorice and spice aromas and flavors. It has a smoking good mid-palate, building, ripe tannin and a huge finish."
- Item #: i_350311Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92Wine Spectator: 92One of the greatest things about the nearly perfect 2016 vintage in the Rhone Valley is that the quality is not only relegated to the higher priced cuvees. The hype of the vintage is justified and the wines are undeniably pleasing. Case in point is the Grand Veneur Champauvins from the humble Cotes du Rhone appellation. This "Baby Chateauneuf" is an amazing wine displaying persistent, deeply fruited deliciousness that just won't quit!
The Wine Advocate gave this wine 92 Points in its glowing review and said this wine is "Worth buying by the case." Wine Spectator also gave this wine 92 Points and called it, "A terrific value."
Other quotes by the critics include:
"This is the poor person's Chateauneuf du Pape" - Robert Parker
"A big, brash mouthful of fruit...as always, it's a terrific value" - Wine Spectator
"It's a full-bodied, concentrated wine that could mop the floor with many Chateauneufs" - Wine Advocate
The consistent theme amongst critics and us here at Hi-Time is this is seriously good juice for under $18.00! It's really easy to understand why. The grapes are sourced from a single vineyard plot known for its quality, which is located just outside the boundary of the Chateauneuf du Pape appellation. This means we can enjoy an excellent wine at a fraction of the price of its famous neighbor.
This delicious, crowd-pleasing wine is one to grab by the case to share with friends and family.
WINE SPECTATOR 92 POINTS - "Capable of rivaling many wines from neighboring Châteauneuf du Pape, the 2016 Cotes du Rhone les Champauvins (tasted as a tank sample) is a big, brash mouthful of fruit but one that's not without nuance. Hints of licorice, cracked pepper and garrigue all come into play, along with a bit of warmth on the long, mouthwatering finish. Supple tannins make it approachable now, but it should easily drink well for 6 years, if not more. As always, it's a terrific value."
WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "Now that it's in the bottle, the 2016 Cotes du Rhone les Champauvins is looking as good as I predicted last year. It's a full-bodied, concentrated wine that could mop the floor with many Châteauneufs. Rich black cherry fruit is joined by complex herb and spice notes, a creamy mid-palate and a lingering finish. Worth buying by the case."
- Item #: i_351610Bottle Size: 750ml100% Chenin Blanc. This striking wine comes from two small parcels of mature vines (planted in 1933 and 1952) within the legendary Brézé climat, a terroir that once held a reputation on the same level as the greatest vineyards of Burgundy and Bordeaux. The vineyards are at a higher elevation than most of the surrounding areas and the vines sit directly on a hill of tuffeaux, a porous, chalky limestone, intermixed with clay and sand. Something like 70% of the vineyard has less than one metre of topsoil, so the vines drill straight into the chalky bedrock. This terroir creates a far more citrussy, floral and mineral expression of Chenin. Even when they're ripe and powerful, the wines remain cool and pure and fresh.
- Item #: i_334203Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 92Wine Spectator: 92James Suckling: 93Jeb Dunnuck: 92 PointsJAMES SUCKLING 93 POINTS - "A fresh, dark-cherry and stone nose with attractive purity of fruit here. The palate has a very succulent, quite grainy and deeply ripe feel with a super rich, concentrated and bold serving of ripe dark plums and blackberries. Impressive."
WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "Baking spices, cola and raspberry notes all appear on the nose of the 2016 Chateauneuf du Pape. It's full-bodied and velvety, folding in hints of French roast and dark chocolate on the lingering finish. It should drink well for a decade or more."
JEB DUNNUCK 92 POINTS - "Lots of lavender, garrigue, peppery herbs, and rocking dark fruits emerge from the 2016 Châteauneuf-du-Pape. With medium to full body, ripe, polished tannins, and a great finish, it’s unquestionably an outstanding wine. It’s already hard to resist yet will benefit from 2-4 years of bottle age and cruise for a decade."
WINE SPECTATOR 92 POINTS - "Solidly built, featuring cherry and plum paste notes, laced with stony minerality, tobacco and garrigue accents. This has grip but remains well-integrated, ending with subtle persistence on the cedar-tinged finish. Best from 2020 through 2030"
- Item #: i_311555Bottle Size: 750MLWINE ADVOCATE 91 POINTS - "There are an impressive 4.5 million bottles of the 2016 Cotes du Rhone, a ripe, silky wine that should bring pleasure to thousands of consumers. Cherries and raspberries mark the nose, while the medium to full-bodied palate adds nuances of cola, tree bark and spice. Often available at retail for under $15 per bottle, it represents a terrific value."
- Item #: i_334109Bottle Size: 750MLThe Gouges family has been vineyard proprietors in Nuits for generations and proprietors of the current domaine since 1919. Domaine Henri Gouges Bourgogne Rouge has a great color and a lovely Pinot nose. Very fresh and earthy on the palate, supple with roasted nut elements.
Allen Meadows - Burghound - "A fresh, cool and distinctly earthy array of red and dark currant precedes punch and sleek middle weight flavors that offer fine length. This is less rustic than it usually is and it's worth considering."
- Item #: i_351457Bottle Size: 750mlJOHN GILMAN 91 POINTS - "The 2016 Nuits AC had just been racked the day before my visit and had its SO2 adjusted a touch as well, and yet the wine was in good form and easy to taste! The bouquet is deep and quite sappy this year (perhaps from the addition of some Chaignots?), jumping from the glass in a lovely mix of black cherries, sweet dark berries, woodsmoke, venison, dark soil tones and raw cocoa. On the palate the wine is deep, full-bodied and sappy at the core, with fine focus and grip, ripe, seamless tannins and a long, vibrant and tangy finish. Fine, fine AC. 2024-2060+."
ALLEN MEADOWS, BURGHOUND 89 - 91 POINTS - "from 4 different parcels scattered above and below the 1ers and the blend of vines averages about 35 years of age; in 2016 it also includes the production from Les Chaignots and Les Chênes Carteaux. A more deeply pitched nose is composed by notes of plum, dark raspberry, earth and a hint of wood. There is excellent volume to the relatively sleek medium-bodied flavors that possess plenty of sappy dry extract, all wrapped in a firm finish that is also less rustic than usual. This too is worth checking out."
- Item #: i_351458Bottle Size: 750mlBURGHOUND 91 - 94 POINTS - "A brooding nose only reluctantly reveals notes of ripe and ultra-fresh dark currant, earth and a smoked game nuance. There is outstanding density to the powerful, robust and bold big-bodied flavors that possess seriously good concentration where the sap does a good job of buffering the very firm tannic spine shaping the superbly persistent finish. This is textbook Vaucrains and as such, it's going to need extended."
- Item #: i_304877Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 97-99ROBERT PARKER 97-99 POINTS: "The 2016 Clos de la Roche Grand Cru is matured in 30% new oak with up to 30% whole cluster fruit, two-thirds from Montluisants and one-third Fremiers. It has an intoxicating bouquet that is extraordinarily complex: shimmering red berry fruit, blood orange, incense and a touch of crushed violet. The palate is medium-bodied with fine grain tannin, wonderful depth and harmony, laser-like focus toward the finish that lingers in the mouth. Stunning mineralité here—the tongue feels as if it licked limestone 30 second after the wine has disappeared. If there is a better Clos de la Roche then I have not tasted it (yet)."
- Item #: i_352256Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 91-93ROBERT PARKER 91-93 POINTS: "The 2016 Gevrey-Chambertin les Seuvrées comes from 60- to 70-year-old vines and included 30% whole-bunch fruit. This has a more refined and precise bouquet than the la Justice thanks to the effortlessly pure red fruit intertwined with cold stone/limestone aromas. The palate is medium-bodied with fine tannin, a killer line of acidity and a brightness on the finish that is a pure joy. This is a superb village cru, one of the best that I encountered this vintage."
- Item #: i_351907Bottle Size: 750mlDecanter: 91 PointsBURGHOUND 91 - 93 POINTS - "An ultra-fresh nose exhibits a lovely and airy array of essence of red cherry, cranberry and lavender. The cool, pure and equally fresh medium weight flavors possess terrific vibrancy along with first-rate delineation on the mineral-inflected, clean and driving finish. This is excellent and a wine that should age very well as the balance is impeccable."
JOHN GILMAN 92 POINTS
DECANTER 91 POINTS