- Item #: i_352530Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 90+WINE ADVOCATE 90+ POINTS - "The 2016 Gevrey-Chambertin Clos Prieur Bas offers up aromas of cherries, plums, spices and forest floor, framed by a subtle touch of toasty new oak. On the palate, the wine is medium to full-bodied, chalky and firm, with good concentration but a tauter, more linear profile than the 2017 rendition. It will demand some time."
- Item #: i_351264Bottle Size: 750mlBURGHOUND 92 POINTS - "Enough reduction is present to push the underlying fruit to the background. Otherwise there is a similar sense of energy to the slightly rounder and softer medium-bodied flavors that aren't quite as mineral-driven or complex but do offer fine persistence on the balanced finish. This should be approachable young if desired. This should be approachable young if desired."
- Item #: i_351769Bottle Size: 750mlDecanter: 92 PointsDECANTER 92 POINTS - "The Vaudésir is the ripest and most giving of the three grand cru bottlings in the range this year, offering up an expressive bouquet of peach, preserved lemon and flowers. The wine is textural, full-bodied and concentrated, with notable extract buttressed by ripe but succulent acids that evoke the wines of the 2015 vintage." Drinking Window 2020 - 2030
- Item #: i_352208Bottle Size: 1.5LWINE SPECTATOR 95 POINTS - "Pure and intense, featuring cherry, black currant and violet aromas and flavors, this red is seductive and approachable despite its youth. The solid structure is seamlessly integrated and bodes well for future development. Shows terrific harmony and expression."
VINOUS 92 - 95 POINTS - "Bright, dark red-ruby. Medicinal blueberry and licorice aromas are lifted by a minty high note; less showy and more restrained on the nose than the Taillepieds and Caillerets today. Then wonderfully dense, primary and pure on the palate, but more vertical and less opulent than the Taillepieds and Caillerets. Strong mineral energy accentuates the impression of vibrancy. A bit less open to inspection today owing to its firm tannic spine."
BURGHOUND 91 - 94 POINTS - "A fresh yet notably ripe nose is composed by liqueur-like aromas of plum, spice and earth. The delicious, refined and once again strikingly pure flavors are a bit less muscular and mineral-driven than those of the Taillepieds yet the tannic spine shaping the lingering if ever-so-slightly warm finish is just as firm. This is going to require at least moderate patience before it begins to be approachable. *Sweet Spot, Outstanding*"
- Item #: i_350536Bottle Size: 750mlBURGHOUND 89 - 91 POINTS - " This too is reduced and the only aspect that I can mention is a subtle touch of wood. Otherwise there is notably better size, weight and richness as the medium-bodied flavors possess an admirable abundance of sappy dry extract that also buffers the firm but not hard core of tannins. This isn't refined but it's very Nuits and should age well but also drink well young thanks to the extract." - (Jan 15, 2018)
- Item #: i_345743Bottle Size: 750MLBurghound: 88-91Light ruby. Perfumed and seductive. Quite appealing already. Just needs the acidity to settle down a little. Lightly sandy tannins on the end...
- Item #: i_351207Bottle Size: 750mlThe Lafarge's have been vignerons in Volnay since the 18th century. They started bottling in the early 1900's, a rarity for a small estate. They have had loyal customers for generations, selling their own wine in barrels to Parisian restaurants as far back as the 1850's. Their history may not be as visible as a Domaine de la Romanee-Conti but is perhaps even more remarkable. For it is easier, if not less honorable, for people whose income does not solely depend on an estate to pursue quality. And it is also harder to allow oneself to slip when one is constantly in the limelight. The greatness of these wines will hit you after you've visited the whole vintage, after you're familiar with everybody else's take. It's a year later and you've tasted back and forth throughout the Cote, you've done your work, you're intellectually armed. You spot that bottle of Lafarge. You know the estate intimately, you're a fan. What could possibly surprise you more than it being excellent. But at the first sip, the word genius escapes in a whisper. Because these wines are exactly what the vintage should be. And this, vintage after vintage, come rain or shine. The wines of Domaine Michel Lafarge are infallible. And they are so great they don't come to you, you have to work up to them.
- Item #: i_350007Bottle Size: 750mlNicolas represents the fifth generation of his family in Volnay. The viticulture of the domaine is inspired by biodynamics, but Nico is pragmatic, and although no weedkillers are used and the vineyards are maintained by ploughing, he says that there are both good and bad things in biodynamics, and he will use conventional fungicides to combat disease. Nicolas makes deeply-coloured, flavourful wines. Purple bright and with defined juicy fruit and very good body. Just racked, so hard to taste, but looks excellent
- Item #: i_352243Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 97WINE ADVOCATE 97 POINTS - "The 2016 Clos de la Roche Grand Cru Cuvée Vieilles Vignes is superb, bursting from the glass with aromas of juicy cherries, peonies, blood orange, licorice, raw cocoa and espresso roast. On the palate, it's full-bodied, deep and succulent, with a concentrated, layered mid-palate, satiny structuring tannins and vibrant underlying acidity, concluding with a long finish. Harvested on October 7 at a comparatively high yield by Ponsot's standards of 38 hectoliters per hectare, this year seems to have been perfectly adapted to Ponsot's style. Vibrant, elegant and expressive, the 2016 is quite different from the richer, more powerful 2015, but in the fullness of time, I wouldn't be surprised to see it surpassing its brawnier elder sibling."
- Item #: i_351273Bottle Size: 750mlBIODYNAMICALLY FARMED AND ECO CERTIFIED
Eight-year-old vines in Grands Champs. Bright cherry fruit flavors. Beautiful Pinot Noir with an attractive Gevrey-like kick on the end. This is much more complex than the average Bourgogne.
- Item #: i_351637Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 95 PointsWINE ADVOCATE 95+ POINTS - "The 2016 Cornas Confidence is the flagship cuvée of the estate and comes from the La Côte and Tézier lieux-dits in Cornas, both of which are shallow, granitic parcels. It's slightly tighter and more focused compared to the sexier Empreintes and has more cassis and blackberry fruits as well as lots of cedarwood, ground pepper, and earth-like aromatics. This full-bodied, concentrated 2016 has beautiful purity, a ripe, layered texture, and building tannins. It’s a serious 2016 to drink over the coming 10-15 years."
- Item #: i_350484Bottle Size: 750mlBURGHOUND 93 POINTS - " An expressive yet cool nose offers up aromas of citrus peel, floral and white-fleshed orchard fruit that are trimmed in just enough wood and menthol to notice. There is good vibrancy to the delicious and exceptionally rich middle weight flavors that possess outstanding complexity on the beautifully long if still youthfully austere finale. At least some patience will definitely be required. *Sweet Spot, Outstanding*"
- Item #: i_351569Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 90-92 PointsThe march of time continues unabated as spring starts its sublime sojourn toward summer. Warm days may meet some rain and still-chilly nights as Mother Nature sorts her wardrobe, not quite ready for the full warmth of the sun. As always, our palates, plates and pantries reflect the current climes, reflecting and reacting to how the mercury moves. We strive each month to find a wine that matches the mood of the weather as well as the call of the calendar. And this month, we found a crowd-pleasing winner of a wine that will pair with all of the above.
A blend of Grenache and Syrah (50/50), the grapes are sourced from vineyards on the left bank of the Rhône River, grown on alluvial and gravelly soils.
Mixed red and black fruits fill the nose as secondary notes of incense, cedar and forest floor resolve to hints of rose petal, mulberry and a touch of herbal influence. Dark black fruits, black berries and blackcurrant, are balanced by silky tannins. Layers of dark spices and earth uplift the dark fruits as they crest the wave of the finish, slowly receding yet flavorful still. Pair with spring lamb, Easter banquets, hearty stews or hard cheeses. Remember, it's never too early to warm up the grill for summer!
Remember, it's never to early to warm up the grill for summer!
JEB DUNNUCK 90-92 POINTS -"The 2016 Côtes du Rhône Samorens is a 50/50 split of Grenache and Syrah that’s completely unoaked and brought up all in concrete. Rounded, sexy and even voluptuous, with terrific purity in its black raspberry, violet and incense aromatics, this medium to full-bodied beauty has no hard edges, silky tannin and a great finish."
- Item #: i_334089Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 95WINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS - "Half of this all-Grenache cuvée matures in foudre, while the other half stays in concrete. The result is just over 1,000 cases of the 2016 Chateauneuf du Pape le Puy Rolland—the best Font du Loup I've ever tasted. Pine and rosemary notes accent cherries and red berries, while hints of black tea, orange zest and rose petals appear on the silky finish. This is full-bodied but nearly weightless, with silky tannins on the finish."
- Item #: i_351595Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 92WINE SPECTATOR 92 POINTS - "A bright, fresh, mineral-driven style, with mouthwatering white pepper and rose petal notes gilding a core of damson plum and blood orange flavors. The long, sleek finish is mouthwatering. Drink now through 2030."
- Item #: i_375831Bottle Size: 750mlPETER LEIM ONE STAR-"This is the first release of a new cuvée: 40 percent of it is 2015 Meunier from the village of Chambrecy, while the rest is Cumières Meunier with a little Pinot Noir and Chardonnay, from 2014, 2013 and 2011. It’s broad and earthy, with a generous build and a pronounced signature of heavy clay soils. There’s a hint of oak, as a portion of this was fermented and aged in new barrels, but overall this is forward in its fruitiness and more precociously accessible than Laval’s Cumières blend. Last tasted: 5/17."
- Item #: i_350068Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 91-93Decanter: 95 PointsDECANTER 95 POINTS - "From a single unbroken plot near the village of Gigondas, matured in old foudres for 18-24 months, producing a single wine - no special cuvées. It has a lovely nose, really detailed with vibrant damson compote and blackberries. Black cherries can also be coaxed out, alongside some lavender and dark chocolate. The palate is medium-bodied, really fresh and crisp, with a long, herbal finish. It's already dangerously drinkable and buzzes with life. Really top stuff, with a lightness of touch and elegance that some others lack this year."
- Item #: i_350311Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92Wine Spectator: 92One of the greatest things about the nearly perfect 2016 vintage in the Rhone Valley is that the quality is not only relegated to the higher priced cuvees. The hype of the vintage is justified and the wines are undeniably pleasing. Case in point is the Grand Veneur Champauvins from the humble Cotes du Rhone appellation. This "Baby Chateauneuf" is an amazing wine displaying persistent, deeply fruited deliciousness that just won't quit!
The Wine Advocate gave this wine 92 Points in its glowing review and said this wine is "Worth buying by the case." Wine Spectator also gave this wine 92 Points and called it, "A terrific value."
Other quotes by the critics include:
"This is the poor person's Chateauneuf du Pape" - Robert Parker
"A big, brash mouthful of fruit...as always, it's a terrific value" - Wine Spectator
"It's a full-bodied, concentrated wine that could mop the floor with many Chateauneufs" - Wine Advocate
The consistent theme amongst critics and us here at Hi-Time is this is seriously good juice for under $18.00! It's really easy to understand why. The grapes are sourced from a single vineyard plot known for its quality, which is located just outside the boundary of the Chateauneuf du Pape appellation. This means we can enjoy an excellent wine at a fraction of the price of its famous neighbor.
This delicious, crowd-pleasing wine is one to grab by the case to share with friends and family.
WINE SPECTATOR 92 POINTS - "Capable of rivaling many wines from neighboring Châteauneuf du Pape, the 2016 Cotes du Rhone les Champauvins (tasted as a tank sample) is a big, brash mouthful of fruit but one that's not without nuance. Hints of licorice, cracked pepper and garrigue all come into play, along with a bit of warmth on the long, mouthwatering finish. Supple tannins make it approachable now, but it should easily drink well for 6 years, if not more. As always, it's a terrific value."
WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "Now that it's in the bottle, the 2016 Cotes du Rhone les Champauvins is looking as good as I predicted last year. It's a full-bodied, concentrated wine that could mop the floor with many Châteauneufs. Rich black cherry fruit is joined by complex herb and spice notes, a creamy mid-palate and a lingering finish. Worth buying by the case."
- Item #: i_351610Bottle Size: 750ml100% Chenin Blanc. This striking wine comes from two small parcels of mature vines (planted in 1933 and 1952) within the legendary Brézé climat, a terroir that once held a reputation on the same level as the greatest vineyards of Burgundy and Bordeaux. The vineyards are at a higher elevation than most of the surrounding areas and the vines sit directly on a hill of tuffeaux, a porous, chalky limestone, intermixed with clay and sand. Something like 70% of the vineyard has less than one metre of topsoil, so the vines drill straight into the chalky bedrock. This terroir creates a far more citrussy, floral and mineral expression of Chenin. Even when they're ripe and powerful, the wines remain cool and pure and fresh.
- Item #: i_334203Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 92Wine Spectator: 92James Suckling: 93Jeb Dunnuck: 92 PointsJAMES SUCKLING 93 POINTS - "A fresh, dark-cherry and stone nose with attractive purity of fruit here. The palate has a very succulent, quite grainy and deeply ripe feel with a super rich, concentrated and bold serving of ripe dark plums and blackberries. Impressive."
WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "Baking spices, cola and raspberry notes all appear on the nose of the 2016 Chateauneuf du Pape. It's full-bodied and velvety, folding in hints of French roast and dark chocolate on the lingering finish. It should drink well for a decade or more."
JEB DUNNUCK 92 POINTS - "Lots of lavender, garrigue, peppery herbs, and rocking dark fruits emerge from the 2016 Châteauneuf-du-Pape. With medium to full body, ripe, polished tannins, and a great finish, it’s unquestionably an outstanding wine. It’s already hard to resist yet will benefit from 2-4 years of bottle age and cruise for a decade."
WINE SPECTATOR 92 POINTS - "Solidly built, featuring cherry and plum paste notes, laced with stony minerality, tobacco and garrigue accents. This has grip but remains well-integrated, ending with subtle persistence on the cedar-tinged finish. Best from 2020 through 2030"
- Item #: i_311555Bottle Size: 750MLWINE ADVOCATE 91 POINTS - "There are an impressive 4.5 million bottles of the 2016 Cotes du Rhone, a ripe, silky wine that should bring pleasure to thousands of consumers. Cherries and raspberries mark the nose, while the medium to full-bodied palate adds nuances of cola, tree bark and spice. Often available at retail for under $15 per bottle, it represents a terrific value."