- Item #: i_350536Bottle Size: 750mlBURGHOUND 89 - 91 POINTS - " This too is reduced and the only aspect that I can mention is a subtle touch of wood. Otherwise there is notably better size, weight and richness as the medium-bodied flavors possess an admirable abundance of sappy dry extract that also buffers the firm but not hard core of tannins. This isn't refined but it's very Nuits and should age well but also drink well young thanks to the extract." - (Jan 15, 2018)
- Item #: i_345743Bottle Size: 750MLBurghound: 88-91Light ruby. Perfumed and seductive. Quite appealing already. Just needs the acidity to settle down a little. Lightly sandy tannins on the end...
- Item #: i_351207Bottle Size: 750mlThe Lafarge's have been vignerons in Volnay since the 18th century. They started bottling in the early 1900's, a rarity for a small estate. They have had loyal customers for generations, selling their own wine in barrels to Parisian restaurants as far back as the 1850's. Their history may not be as visible as a Domaine de la Romanee-Conti but is perhaps even more remarkable. For it is easier, if not less honorable, for people whose income does not solely depend on an estate to pursue quality. And it is also harder to allow oneself to slip when one is constantly in the limelight. The greatness of these wines will hit you after you've visited the whole vintage, after you're familiar with everybody else's take. It's a year later and you've tasted back and forth throughout the Cote, you've done your work, you're intellectually armed. You spot that bottle of Lafarge. You know the estate intimately, you're a fan. What could possibly surprise you more than it being excellent. But at the first sip, the word genius escapes in a whisper. Because these wines are exactly what the vintage should be. And this, vintage after vintage, come rain or shine. The wines of Domaine Michel Lafarge are infallible. And they are so great they don't come to you, you have to work up to them.
- Item #: i_351204Bottle Size: 750mlDecanter: 93 PointsDECANTER 93 POINTS - "The Mitans is lovely this year, opening in the glass with a pretty bouquet of cherry, raspberry, subtle coffee, game bird and a top note of peony. The wine is classy and deep, with a rich chassis of velvety tannins and a deep core of bright fruit. The finish is long and incipiently complex."
Drinking Window 2026 - 2040
- Item #: i_350007Bottle Size: 750mlNicolas represents the fifth generation of his family in Volnay. The viticulture of the domaine is inspired by biodynamics, but Nico is pragmatic, and although no weedkillers are used and the vineyards are maintained by ploughing, he says that there are both good and bad things in biodynamics, and he will use conventional fungicides to combat disease. Nicolas makes deeply-coloured, flavourful wines. Purple bright and with defined juicy fruit and very good body. Just racked, so hard to taste, but looks excellent
- Item #: i_350071Bottle Size: 750mlJames Suckling: 92-93JAMES SUCKLING 92-93 POINTS - "This is a real Puligny with lemons and cooked apples. Hints of straw and limestone. Full- to medium-bodied, layered and clean. Bright finish. A beauty. Savory and salt at the end. Drink now."
- Item #: i_302660Bottle Size: 750MLJean-Claude Pichot’s family is one of the oldest inVouvray, with origins as viticulturists and restauranteursdating back to 1739. The family cellars are located in thecharming village of Vouvray, in caverns hewn from therolling hills which were once quarried to provide stoneto construct the grand châteaux of the Loire. In fact, thePichot home is itself part house and part cavern, with adramatic hearth carved from the rock. Jean-Claude wasone of six sons, but the only one to continue the familytradition of vigneron.Tasting notes: golden raisins on the nose and on thepalate. Grape juicy, like table grape concentrate. Easyto drink, already well-balanced with some elements ofcloves, butter tarte tatin and a touch of maple sugar.Good fruit extension with some grapefruit and apple skinon the finish.
- Item #: i_351940Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92-94ALLEN MEADOWS, BURGHOUND 94 POINTS - "The ripe and ultra-fresh aromas are from the darker side of the fruit spectrum while including plenty of spice, warm earth, menthol and plenty of sauvage character. There is both fine detail and a beguiling texture to the equally broad-shouldered and even more mineral-inflected flavors that possess even better complexity on the balanced and hugely long finish. Unusually, this appears to be just a bit less structured than the Bressandes and should also be approachable on the younger side if that’s your preference." 2028+
WINE ADVOCATE 92 - 94 POINTS - "The 2016 Corton Clos du Roi Grand Cru has more richness and intensity than the Corton-Bressandes at this early stage, with layers of black cherry and raspberry coulis, brown spices and sous-bois surfacing with time. There is certainly good complexity here. The palate is fresh and detailed on the entry, fine-grained tannin, well-judged acidity and a lively, judiciously spiced finish that feels long and caressing. Bon vin."
VINOUS 91 - 93 POINTS - "Full ruby-red. Darker and more reticent on the nose than the Bressandes, conveying a stronger element of stony minerality and a note of licorice. Then vivacious and sharply delineated in the mouth but much more closed than the Bressandes owing to its mineral energy. Finishes with suave, fine-grained tannins and excellent grip. Very classy juice!"
- Item #: i_345882Bottle Size: 750MLVINOUS 92 POINTS - "Bright, dark red. Slightly reduced nose shows the dark fruit side of Volnay along with a flinty quality. Densely packed and decidedly ripe (13.6% alcohol!), with redcurrant and dark cherry fruit flavors complicated by a note of black olive and subtle earth tones. Finishes with very ripe, chewy tannins and excellent length and grip. Manages to retain an element of Volnay suavity."
- Item #: i_351808Bottle Size: 750mlDecanter: 93 PointsDECANTER 93 POINTS - "The Clos du Verseuil, a monopole of the domaine, is one of Clerget’s best cuvées in 2016. Matured in 30% new oak, it has a pure but rather reserved bouquet of raw cocoa, blackberry and cherry, leading into a full-bodied, ample and harmonious palate with a svelte, textural attack, perfectly ripe tannins and nicely succulent acidity. The combination of vibrant fruit with textural generosity is very alluring indeed." Drinking Window 2022 - 2040
- Item #: i_334007Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 98James Suckling: 99Jeb Dunnuck: 100 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 100 POINTS: "Reminding me of the 2010 with its incredible stature and class (as opposed to the more opulently styled 2009), the 2016 Château Ducru-Beaucaillou is a legendary wine from the genius of Bruno Borie, who has managed this estate brilliantly since he arrived in 2003. A blend of 85% Cabernet Sauvignon and 15% Merlot brought up all in new oak, the 2016 has a mammoth bouquet of crème de cassis, espresso, camphor, crushed violets, toasty oak, and graphite. Full-bodied, concentrated, and backward on the palate, it nevertheless has perfectly integrated acidity and building tannins, a concentrated, layered texture, off-the-charts purity of fruit, and a finish that won't quit. Give this powerful, concentrated wine a solid 7-8 years of bottle age and enjoy it over the following 50 years or more."
WINE ADVOCATE 98 POINTS: "Deep garnet-purple colored, the 2016 Ducru-Beaucaillou features a wonderfully savory, earthy/meaty nose, delivering well-defined notes of tapenade, truffles, charcuterie and sautéed herbs over crème de cassis, wild blueberries and kirsch with wafts of pencil lead and menthol. Medium to full-bodied, the palate is built like a brick house with the taut, muscular fruit well framed by very firm yet very ripe and finely grained tannins, offering a quiet intensity of red fruit and mineral sparks and finishing with epic length."
- Item #: i_351859Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 93WINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS -"Very fresh and focused, with delicious raspberry and blackberry coulis flavors running through, while mouthwatering anise, bramble and black tea accents fill in. Shows a flash of spice on the finish while the fruit lingers. Drink now through 2026."
- Item #: i_351637Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 95 PointsWINE ADVOCATE 95+ POINTS - "The 2016 Cornas Confidence is the flagship cuvée of the estate and comes from the La Côte and Tézier lieux-dits in Cornas, both of which are shallow, granitic parcels. It's slightly tighter and more focused compared to the sexier Empreintes and has more cassis and blackberry fruits as well as lots of cedarwood, ground pepper, and earth-like aromatics. This full-bodied, concentrated 2016 has beautiful purity, a ripe, layered texture, and building tannins. It’s a serious 2016 to drink over the coming 10-15 years."
- Item #: i_351639Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93Jeb Dunnuck: 93 PointsWINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "The terrific 2016 Saint Joseph Lautaret is concentrated and tannic, one of the few 2016 Saint Josephs I'd recommend for short-term cellaring. It's full-bodied and rich, packed with black olives and black cherries, and finishes long and velvety. Give it a couple of years and drink it over the next decade."
JEB DUNNUCK 93 POINTS - "The 2016 Saint Joseph Lautaret is a richer, medium to full-bodied, ripe Syrah that has tons of classic spiced red and black fruits, licorice, violets, and roasted, peppery herbs. This voluptuous, layered, meaty effort has the charming, fleshy style of the vintage yet still packs some serious oomph and density, and is a rocking wine."
- Item #: i_351638Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 91WINE ADVOCATE 91 POINTS - "The 2016 Saint Joseph Les Coteaux looks as good from bottle as it did from tank last year. Richly concentrated and velvety, this medium to full-bodied beauty features savory notes of black olive, allspice and clove, backed by supple tannins and a long finish."
- Item #: i_350484Bottle Size: 750mlThis is pure and elegant this year, offering up a bouquet of lemon oil, nutmeg, toasted wheat and honeysuckle. On the palate the wine is medium-full and nicely layered, with good concentration in an open-knit but vibrant style.
- Item #: i_352054Bottle Size: 750mlThis is brought up just like a top tier wine from Meursault with about 10% new French oak for 12 months followed by 6 months in stainless steel before bottling (known as the "Roulot method"). It brims with stony minerals, Meyer lemon zest and is packed with tension and shimmering acidity, rounded with just a kiss of new oak. This is flat out brilliant Chardonnay that you need in your glass NOW!
- Item #: i_345036Bottle Size: 750MLOctober’s Wine of the Month is a fantastic Rhone blend from a tremendous vintage made by one of France’s great winemaking families. The Perrin family is best known as the proprietors of Chateau de Beaucastel, which is one of the great producers of Chateauneuf du Pape in the Rhone Valley. They are also pioneers in Paso Robles where they partnered with the Haas family to establish Tablas Creek and helped establish this region as a special place for Rhone-style blends. Add the fact that Beaucastel was chosen as Wine Spectator’s Wine of the Year and it’s safe to say the Perrin family knows a thing or two about making great wine.
The Perrins sourced grapes for this outstanding Côtes du Rhône from their premium village vineyards. Grenache is grown in clay/limestone soils adding bright blueberry and Kirsch notes. The Syrah comes from terraced vineyards of Vinsobres which are rich in quartz and marl, bringing a warming blackberry and spice character to the mix. Finally, the Mourvèdre adds plum flavors along with additional complexity and depth.
Famille Perrin’s Cotes du Rhone is a delicious wine and a terrific value, which beautifully expresses the 2015 vintage. The vines produced berries rich in phenolic compounds, expressive aromatics and deep flavors. This is a great everyday wine which is complementary to most any type of food and very enjoyable on its own.
Bright ruby in color with purple reflections. Aromatically expressive with notes of crushed violets, dark raspberries, cherries, blackberry and licorice. On the palate, this wine shows perfectly ripened fruit with Kirsch, blueberry, raspberry and plum and a hint of baking spice. The mouthfeel is generous yet balanced with beautiful, silky tannins. The overall impression is one that is harmonious with a wonderful polished texture, culminating in a surprisingly long finish. Grenache, Syrah and Mourvèdre.
- Item #: i_351569Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 90-92 PointsThe march of time continues unabated as spring starts its sublime sojourn toward summer. Warm days may meet some rain and still-chilly nights as Mother Nature sorts her wardrobe, not quite ready for the full warmth of the sun. As always, our palates, plates and pantries reflect the current climes, reflecting and reacting to how the mercury moves. We strive each month to find a wine that matches the mood of the weather as well as the call of the calendar. And this month, we found a crowd-pleasing winner of a wine that will pair with all of the above.
A blend of Grenache and Syrah (50/50), the grapes are sourced from vineyards on the left bank of the Rhône River, grown on alluvial and gravelly soils.
Mixed red and black fruits fill the nose as secondary notes of incense, cedar and forest floor resolve to hints of rose petal, mulberry and a touch of herbal influence. Dark black fruits, black berries and blackcurrant, are balanced by silky tannins. Layers of dark spices and earth uplift the dark fruits as they crest the wave of the finish, slowly receding yet flavorful still. Pair with spring lamb, Easter banquets, hearty stews or hard cheeses. Remember, it's never too early to warm up the grill for summer!
Remember, it's never to early to warm up the grill for summer!
JEB DUNNUCK 90-92 POINTS -"The 2016 Côtes du Rhône Samorens is a 50/50 split of Grenache and Syrah that’s completely unoaked and brought up all in concrete. Rounded, sexy and even voluptuous, with terrific purity in its black raspberry, violet and incense aromatics, this medium to full-bodied beauty has no hard edges, silky tannin and a great finish."
- Item #: i_351289Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 95WINE SPECTATOR 95 POINTS: "Kirsch, wild cherry and strawberry flavors are the hallmarks of this monolithic red. Earth, spice and graphite accents add complexity as this flashes muscle on the solid finish. Shows the svelte character of the vintage despite the density and power."
- Item #: i_352205Bottle Size: 750mlGuillaume and Aude Lavollée represent the fourth generation of vignerons at Génot-Boulanger. Their wines are produced exclusively from estate-owned vineyards, located along all three Burgundy côtes, from Chambolle Musigny, down to the domaine in Meursault, and on to Mercurey. With 22 hectares, Génot-Boulanger is one of only a few family-owned Burgundian domaines to produce such a diverse range. (They produce wine from over 30 appellations!) Since 2008, Guillaume and Aude have worked painstakingly to improve the quality of their wines, converting to organic farming practices and experimenting with biodynamics. The domaine’s philosophy is “maximum work in the vineyards for minimum intervention in the cuverie.” This has translated to wines that are first and foremost true to their terroir. Location: Vines on the hillside southwest of the village Soils: White shale and limestone Surface Area: 0.61 hectares Grape Variety: Chardonnay, average age of vines : 15 years Vinification: We harvest entirely by hand – sorting takes place on a sorting table at the winery. Pneumatic pressing of the grapes. Alcoholic and malolactic fermentation in oak barrels (25% new barrels). Aging: 8 to 10 months in barrel
- Item #: i_351595Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 92WINE SPECTATOR 92 POINTS - "A bright, fresh, mineral-driven style, with mouthwatering white pepper and rose petal notes gilding a core of damson plum and blood orange flavors. The long, sleek finish is mouthwatering. Drink now through 2030."