- Item #: i_361659Bottle Size: 750mlBURGHOUND 95 POINTS: ""Here too the nose is quite restrained with its admirably pure aromas of red cherry, dark currant, spice and earth along with notes of violet and lavender. I very much like the sense of underlying tension to the succulent, indeed even juicy, medium weight plus flavors that exude a subtle salinity on the tautly muscular and firm finish that flashes just a hint of youthful austerity. This isn't quite as complex as the Chambertin but it's close and it may well close the gap over time as this is also very clearly structured for mid to even longer-term keeping."
- Item #: i_351660Bottle Size: 750mlBURGHOUND 94 POINTS - "A brooding deeply pitched and softly spicy nose reflects plenty of earth and sauvage characters to the dark berry aromas that are trimmed in soft wood nuances. There is excellent size, weight and power to the muscular flavors that exude a subtle minerality on the imposingly structured and youthfully austere finish that is sneaky long. This is a big 2017 that is supported by chewy but not really rustic tannins that make clear that at least some patience is advisable."
- Item #: i_353433Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95+WINE ADVOCATE 95+ POINTS: "Another of the highlights of the range is the 2018 Bonnes-Mares Grand Cru, a striking wine that soars from the glass with notes of raspberries, red berries, rose petals, sweet spices, violets and forest floor. On the palate, it's full-bodied, deep and concentrated, with striking cut and definition, concluding with a long, mineral finish. This is an exquisitely refined Bonnes-Mares that is worth a special effort to seek out."
- Item #: i_353435Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94WINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS: "The 2018 Clos Vougeot Grand Cru is showing very well, soaring from the glass with aromas of wild berries, rose petals, violets, orange rind and dark chocolate. On the palate, it's full-bodied, concentrated and muscular, with lively acids and a powdery but elegantly refined chassis of structuring tannins, concluding with a long and resonant finish."
- Item #: i_353432Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94WINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS: "Invariably a highlight of the portfolio, Boillot's 2018 Volnay 1er Cru Les Caillerets derives from a low-yielding 60-are parcel of 55-year-old vines. Unfurling in the glass with a deep bouquet of wild berries, plums, raw cocoa and sweet soil tones, it's medium to full-bodied, deep and multidimensional, its concentrated core of vibrant fruit underlined by succulent acids and framed by chalky tannins. This is a brilliant wine that's worth a special effort to seek out."
- Item #: i_352323Bottle Size: 750mlAfter a too long hiatus, the Champagnes of Claude Giraud are once again available in California. This is great news as he crafts some of the most vinous, individualistic wines in Champagne and the house has earned an avid cult following in France. His "Code Noir" is probably our favorite bottling as it best typifies the firm's full throttle, masculine style. It's 100% Pinot Noir from the Grand Cru village of Aÿ and was vinified in new Argonne forest barrels. This Champagne impresses with the way the oak is seamlessly fused with the wine's deep-seated red fruit and mineral flavors. An exciting, grand Champagne all on its own, but one that would be out of this world when paired with a Christmas goose or other savory holiday fare.
- Item #: i_351458Bottle Size: 750mlBURGHOUND 91 - 94 POINTS - "A brooding nose only reluctantly reveals notes of ripe and ultra-fresh dark currant, earth and a smoked game nuance. There is outstanding density to the powerful, robust and bold big-bodied flavors that possess seriously good concentration where the sap does a good job of buffering the very firm tannic spine shaping the superbly persistent finish. This is textbook Vaucrains and as such, it's going to need extended."
- Item #: i_353307Bottle Size: 750mlDecanter: 93DECANTER 93 POINTS - "Charles van Canneyt's 0.7ha block was planted in three tranches - in the 1950s, 1970 and 1990. It has produced a wine that combines the joyous fruit flavours of the best 2017s with more precision and acidity than many wines seem to possess. It's balanced and nuanced, with sweet vanilla spice from 30% new oak."
- Item #: i_352057Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95Vinous Media: 97 PointsDecanter: 97DECANTER 97 POINTS - "This 1920 parcel is situated in the northern part of the Romanée-St-Vivant grand cru, very close to Domaine de la Romanée-Conti's holdings - and it's often a match for that wine. It's detailed, lacy and refreshing, with adroitly integrated 50% new wood and layers of red cherry, raspberry and red plum fruit. It has focussed acidity and palate-caressing tannins. Effortlessly complex."
WINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS - "The 2017 Romanée-Saint-Vivant Grand Cru wafts from the glass with a deep bouquet of cherries, wild berries and plums, with nuances of orange rind, rose petals and Asian spices emerging as it sits in the glass. Full-bodied, deep and complete, the wine's textural attack segues into a multidimensional mid-palate framed by melting but muscular tannins and lively acids."
- Item #: i_350864Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94WINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS - "I completely under-estimated this upon release. Here the RSV has a refined, well-defined bouquet with light strawberry, rosemary, boysenberry and rose petals. The palate is medium-bodied and very finely balanced with red cherry, mandarin, crushed stone, fanning out wonderfully towards the under-stated finish that is so sensual. Lovely."
- Item #: i_352974Bottle Size: 750mlDECANTER 96 POINTS - "Fred Mugnier's Bonnes Mares comes mostly from white soils and is among the freshest and most elegant expressions of the grand cru - this may explain why it's poured before Les Amoureuses at the domaine. This is true to type, even in a warm year, showing fine red berry aromas, fine-grained tannins and just a whisper of pepper spice."
WINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS - "The 2017 Bonnes Mares Grand Cru is also showing brilliantly from bottle, unwinding in the glass with aromas of cassis, wild berries and plums mingled with notions of peonies, grilled squab, spices and musk. On the palate, the wine is medium to full-bodied, velvety and layered, with good concentration and ripe acids, framed by an ample endowment of fine, powdery tannin that renders this more structured than the corresponding Amoureuses but not in any sense more austere. While this is quite charming and expressive for young Bonnes Mares, at least a decade's patience will be warranted."
BURGHOUND 93 POINTS - "A relatively high-toned nose speaks of various red and blue berries, violet and a whiff of earth. There is a really lovely texture to the impressively dense flavors that brim with sappy dry extract before culminating in a powerful, balanced and sneaky long finish. This is a big wine in the context of the 2017 vintage though it's not particularly austere."
- Item #: i_345029Bottle Size: 750MLVINOUS 93 - 95 POINTS - "The Nuits St. Georges Aux Boudots is the richest and most voluptuous of the 2012 Nuits 1er Crus. Sweet raspberry, cinnamon, mint, new leather and licorice resonate off the palate in a generous, open Nuits loaded with class and pure textural volume. Flowers, dried herbs and mint add complexity over time. The 2012 should drink well with minimum cellaring because of its pure generosity and volume, but it also has more than enough stuffing to age well for a number of years. This is a great example of the Grivot house style at its very best."
STEPHEN TANZER 92 - 94 POINTS - "A sexy point of reduction to the aromas of wild dark cherry, smoke and violet. Offers a lovely blend of silky Vosne-side elegance and Nuits wildness and structure, showing superb clarity and cut to its flavors of wild small red berries. Finishes very long and juicy, with a firm spine of acids and tannins and lingering perfume."
BURGHOUND 93 POINTS - "As it was from barrel this is still noticeably reduced so if you're tempted to try a bottle in the name of science be sure to decant it first. This is a big and very rich wine with good muscle and punch to the well-detailed flavors that possess a lovely sense of underlying tension on the austere, balanced and strikingly long finish. This is a robust effort that in 2012 is more Nuits than Vosne in character. Note that my score assumes that the reduction is a passing phase."
WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "The 2012 Nuits Saint-Georges 1er Cru Les Boudots from Etienne Grivot was one of the highlights from the horizontal. It has a very elegant and composed bouquet with gorgeous red cherry, cranberry and raspberry scents infused with cold stone and subtle undergrowth aromas. The palate is medium-bodied with very fine tannin, dark berry fruit intermingling with cola and brown spices, fanning out gloriously on the finish. You will finish it down to the last drop."
- Item #: i_322316Bottle Size: 750mlBurghound: 90BURGHOUND 90 POINTS- OUTSTANDING! - "A well-layered and appealingly fresh combination features various red berries, floral, earth, herbal tea and sauvage hints. There is fine richness to the lively, intense and mineral-driven medium weight flavors that exhibit a distinct salinity on the beautifully complex, well-balanced and firm finale. Good stuff."
- Item #: i_350079Bottle Size: 750mlBURGHOUND 91-94 POINTS- OUTSTANDING! - "The perfumed, cool and airy nose is attractively elegant with its mix of red and dark currant, sandalwood, violet and lilac scents. The polished and equally cool middle weight flavors possess a wonderfully refined mouth feel thanks to the fine grain of the tannins along with ample minerality on the mildly austere, balanced and strikingly persistent finale. This is a classic Beaux Monts with an ultra-sophisticated mouth feel though note that this will need a few years of cellar time to fully harmonize."
- Item #: i_333725Bottle Size: 750MLDomaine Jean Grivot is among the great names in Burgundian wine. Étienne Grivot and his wife Marielle (Patrick Bize's sister) took over from Étienne’s father Jean Grivot in 1987. The cellar is in Vosne-Romanée where most of their vineyards are located. Étienne believes in farming with minimal impact to the environment and eschews the use of chemicals in the vineyard. Nuits-Saint-Georges Aux Boudots 1er cru lies in the “Zone Vosnoise” or northern end of Nuits-Saint-Georges just below Les Damodes. It borders Vosne-Romanée Aux Malconsorts 1er just to its north. Its position slightly lower on the slope with deep soil full of pebbles results in a richer and fuller wine.The wine shows aromas and flavors of red berries, herbs, and purple flowers. The palate is rich with ripe fruit and medium weight with bright acidity and fine tannins. Aging in 30-60% new Burgundian pièce brings notes of vanilla, toast, and baking spices.
- Item #: i_353916Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 93-95Decanter: 96DECANTER 96 POINTS: "The Grivot family's parcel of Clos de Vougeot covers a pretty substantial 1.86ha and runs from the bottom of the Grand Cru up to the Château de la Tour on mixed soils. Matured in 30% new wood, it's a fine, elegant, textured rendition of the terroir with impressive zip and palate length, silky tannins and a hint of ageworthy noble reduction."
VINOUS 93-95 POINTS: "The 2018 Clos de Vougeot Grand Cru showed just a little reduction on the nose, but that blows away with modest swirling to reveal blackberries, raspberry coulis, touches of melted tar and rose petals. The palate is medium-bodied with gentle grip. It displays a fine crescendo in the mouth, until it reaches the effervescent finish. A tang of blood orange and brown spice lingers on the aftertaste."