- Item #: i_351337Bottle Size: 750mlLocated in the western portion of the Sancerre appellation, Chavignol has a unique type of soil called, in French, “terres blanches.” The region is essentially a chalk plateau (the same vein as is found in Chablis) with clay and limestone soils. The top vineyards, ‘Monts Damnés,’ ‘Grande Côte,’ and ‘Les Culs de Beaujeu,’ are perched on steep hillsides with little topsoil. Cotat as a rule harvests by hand and very late, as pushing ripeness to the extreme is one element that gives these wines their weighty texture and complexity. While Cotat is not organically certified, his habits are more or less according to organic principles. He does not treat his vines with pesticides; uses only indigenous yeasts for fermentation; and follows the lunar cycle for racking. Wines are barrel-fermented in older demi-muids and aged in larger tonneaux. All wines are bottled unfined and unfiltered.
- Item #: i_352741Bottle Size: 750mlFrancois Cotat produces ageworthy Sancerre from his only 3 hectare estate at the heart of the prized Chavignol commune. Francois adopt a very traditional, non-interventionist approach. He racks according to the phases of the moon and the wines develop with age and, the very best vintages, can be cellared for more than 50 years.This 100% sauvignon blanc is grown on 45% steep slopes facing south / south-east. The nose is very ripe with green apple and tropical fruit aromas. The palate is dense and energized by crisp acidity. The balance is superb and the length amazing.
- Item #: i_345353Bottle Size: 750ML"Francois Cotat Sancerre: A must-have for the cellar
From gear head, to grape man. While Cotat's first passion may have been restoring old cars, wine-especially his family's Sauvignon Blanc-was a fast second.
No one can doubt that winemaking runs in the blood of the Cotat family. On the slopes of the Monts Damnés in Chavignol, the family has tended both Sauvignon Blanc and Pinot Noir since the end of the second World War. It was only in the 1990s when two brothers, Paul and Francis, handed over the family domaine to their sons, Francois and Pascal, respectively. Today there are two Cotat domaines-one in Chavignol, headed by Francois, and one in Sancerre, run by Pascal. What sets these cousins apart is less important than what they share-a passion for natural winemaking and a truly amazing touch with Sauvignon. He believes in natural winemaking-the vast majority of his plots are cared for organically, often combining seaweed and other natural preparations to fertilize his vines. Harvest is never rushed; in fact, He harvests more than a week after every other winery in the region. Needless to say, extra maturity on the vine means extra body and complexity in the wine. Vineyards are located on very steep slopes, requiring a hand harvest that has become a bit of a pilgrimage for Cotat devotees. The steepest plots can only be worked by sliding down with a cushion tied to your rear while you hold the bucket in front of you. The cousins invented this amusing system, and pickers come from all over Europe every year to volunteer for the harvest.
Grapes from each vineyard plot are vinified separately. The Cotat family pioneered single-vineyard bottlings in Sancerre, and each terroir—whether "Les Monts Damnes" or "Grande Cote" - has its own unique personality. Soils share the same chalky heart as do those in Chablis. In general Pascal wines show a more luxurious, plush mouthfeel in combination with this balanced acidity. (François wines, in comparison, often show more flinty, Chablis-like notes.) Wines are always bottled unfined and unfiltered.
Cotat's wines truly benefit from age. While these wines are irresistible when they are young, one of the unique pleasures of putting down a few bottles is to later discover a rich, custard-like Sancerre that defies everything you would expect from racy Loire Valley Sauvignon Blanc." - NORTH BERKELEY IMPORTS
- Item #: i_374661Bottle Size: 750MLJAMES SUCKLING 92 POINTS-This has a bright rose-hip and pink-fruit nose with a gently chalky edge. The palate has beautiful strawberry fruits and is really fresh and focused. Great finesse here. Polished tannins. Rich and pure. Drink now. A blend of 2010 and 2011: 50% Meunier, 40% Pinot Noir and 20% Chardonnay."
- Item #: i_351595Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 92WINE SPECTATOR 92 POINTS - "A bright, fresh, mineral-driven style, with mouthwatering white pepper and rose petal notes gilding a core of damson plum and blood orange flavors. The long, sleek finish is mouthwatering. Drink now through 2030."
- Item #: i_377258Bottle Size: 750mlWINE SPECTATOR 92 POINTS-"-An expressive skein of ground spice is the aromatic highlight of this finely balanced blanc de blancs, offering a refined and creamy bead, layered with flavors of poached pear, candied lemon zest, honey and pastry. Drink now through 2023. 11/13."
PETER LEIM CHAMPAGNEGUIDE.NET-"This is 60 percent Montgueux and 40 percent Le Mesnil and Oger; 70 percent of the blend comes from the base vintage of 2009, with the other 30 percent being reserve wine from 2008. It’s round and rich, showing the intrinsic opulence of Montgueux Chardonnay, and its flavors of ripe peach and citrus are generous and accessible, persisting with good length and plenty of aroma. Last tasted: 2/13."
- Item #: i_317706Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 90PETER LEIM 2 STARS -"This is 82 percent Pinot Noir from Mareuil, Avenay Val d’Or, Bisseuil and Hautvillers, blended with 18 percent Mareuil chardonnay. Over half of the blend (53 percent) is reserve wine from 2013 and 2012, and with a trio of vintages like this, it’s no surprise that this is one of the finest editions of this cuvée that Hébrart has ever produced. Generous in body yet streamlined in shape, it’s marked by a silky texture and vibrant depth of fruit, offering both a strong Grande Vallée identity and sheer delicious appeal." Last tasted: 3/17
Importer Terry calls this THE unsung hero of his portfolio.
- Item #: i_325404Bottle Size: 750MLBurghound: 90TERRY THEISE +-"Yes, a plus. Shocked me too. This is 65% 2008, so maybe not so shocking after all. It’s unsurprisingly delicious, with ‘08’s silvery lift and a white-flower talc-y coolness. This is the best NV I’ve tasted here, and yes I did notice a small note of oxidation but I saw it as “antique” rather than decadent. And let’s remember: how many NV grower Champagnes have an 8-year old wine as the youngest year in the blend???"
- Item #: i_374559Bottle Size: 750mlA blend of 50% Chardonnay, 40% Meunier,this wine has an unusually fine mousse and terrific elegance, fruit and stony salinity. This is Sélèque’s flagship wine, representing nearly half of the total house production.
- Item #: i_378213Bottle Size: 750mlJAMES SUCKLING 92 POINTS-A pinot-dominant blend (70 per cent) that has a flavorsome array of berries and brioche on the nose with light, spicy nuances, too. The palate has attractive, vinous, fleshy presence, some chalky oyster-shell notes and a crisp, dry, succulent finish. Drink now." (09/18)
- Item #: i_325424Bottle Size: 750mlJOHN GILMAN VIEW FROM THE CELLAR 90 POINTS-" Disgorged October 2015 Christophe Defrance is currently the head of this fine small domaine, located in the Aube. The current release of his Brut Exception is from the base year of 2010 and is comprised entirely of Pinot Blanc. The vins clairs are raised in stainless steel and went through full malolactic fermentation. The bouquet is complex and beautifully expressive, wafting from the glass in a mix of peach, pear, brioche, musky floral tones and a fine base of chalky soil tones. On the palate the wine is fullish, focused and light on its feet, with a good core, frothy mousse, and good balance and grip on the vibrant finish. This is a lovely aperitif weight bubbly, with a quite unique profile from its pinot blanc origins. Good juice. 2016-2025+."
- Item #: i_351619Bottle Size: 750mlThe name "Sous Éguison" refers to the cliff above the vineyard. The cliff offers protection from the North winds, which is a significant advantage given how harsh the climate is and how bitter the Spring frosts are at this altitude. The natural growth cycle of the vines is also slower and the grapes mature a full week later than at lower levels. The vineyard was planted by Caroline Lestime on a terroir which gives the Chardonnay varietal great power. This cuvee expresses the tradition and experience of great quality.
- Item #: i_352712Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92-94WINE ADVOCATE 92-94 POINTS: "The 2016 Chablis 1er Cru Montee de Tonnerre has such a pretty, winsome bouquet with scents of pressed white flowers, white peach, subtle smoke and walnut aromas. The palate is flinty on the entry with wonderful tension. This is not a powerful Chablis but one that emphasizes the terroir and is blessed with a precise, elegant and persistent finish. This is an outstanding effort by Benoît Droin and clearly the pick of his premier crus this year."
VINOUS 92-94 POINTS: "Light yellow-green. Captivating, soil-driven scents of lime skin, crushed rock, fresh herbs and caraway seed. In a distinctly cool style, despite the fact that Droin picked these vines later at 12.8% potential alcohol due to hydric stress here in August, but with noteworthy density to the slightly reduced flavors of anise and rock. Not hugely ripe but strong in extract and very long and saline on the slowly building aftertaste, finishing with a suggestion of silex. I love the cool minerality on display here."
- Item #: i_379019Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 92WINE SPECTATOR 92 POINTS - "Bright and creamy, this well-balanced Champagne offers flavors of white peach, pear, candied grapefruit zest and pastry, joined by a briny hint of oyster shell. The firm acidity presents itself as a lively zestiness that is very appealing."
- Item #: i_378902Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 90WINE SPECTATOR 90 POINTS - "Pretty strawberry, ripe cherry, lemon curd and pastry notes mix in this firm rosé, offering lip-smacking acidity, with smoke and chalk notes on the finish. Disgorged January 2013. Drink now through 2016."
- Item #: i_376514Bottle Size: 750MLANTONIO GALLONI 94 POINTS-"The NV (2015) Brut Nature Blanc de Blancs is once again one of the stars in the range, not to mention an absolutely insane value in the world of fine wine. Bright, sculpted and classy to the core, the 2015 dazzles from the very first taste. Citrus, mineral and floral notes abound in this super-expressive, finely-cut Blanc de Blancs. Crystalline and energetic, the Blanc de Blancs has so much to offer. The 2015 is a more than worthy follow up to the stellar 2013. Non-dosé. Disgorged: January 2018."
- Item #: i_337890Bottle Size: 750MLPure grand cru Chardonnay from the chalky, cool soils of Cramant in the Côte de Blancs. Lemon curd, lightly toasted brioche, green tea highlights. Long, savory and seductive; a captivating non-vintage wine that can age with the best of vintage bottles. Generally winemaker Michael Chauvet adds 30% reserve wine; aged for five years on fine lees. Dosage less than 9 grams/L.
- Item #: i_375012Bottle Size: 750ml50% PN, 20% CH, 30% PM | Base Vintage: 2013 | Ageing: 3 years on the lees | Dosage: 6 g/l Lots of peachy character, aromatic and perfumed. Dosage doesn’t seem 6 g/l, this has quite a lot of richness making it not at all dry. Lovely balance and texture.