- Item #: i_350689Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 97WINE ADVOATE 97 POINTS - "The 2017 Chevalier-Montrachet Grand Cru is showing brilliantly, soaring from the glass with a lovely bouquet of lemon oil, white flowers, crushed chalk, orange zest, green apple and blanched almonds. On the palate, the wine is full-bodied, deep and multidimensional, with an incisive spine of acidity, superb tension and back-end grip and a long, mineral finish. This is a magical Chevalier that realizes all the promise it hinted at in barrel."
- Item #: i_351925Bottle Size: 750mlDomaine Blain-Gagnard was formed in 1980 when Jean-Marc Blain married Claudine Gagnard, youngest daughter of Jacques and Marie-Josèphe Gagnard of Domaine Gagnard-Delagrange. The couple runs this venerable domaine with the help of their son Marc-Antonin. They now control 20.5 acres of vines in Chassagne-Montrachet, including holdings in three grands crus: Le Montrachet, Bâtard-Montrachet, and Criots-Bâtard-Montrachet.
The white wines of Chassagne-Montrachet can resemble those of its neighbor, Puligny. Both are tense with acidity although Chassagne can sometimes be a little softer and broader. Both show crisp apple and citrus flavors, but some Chassagnes surprise with an unexpected red fruit note.
- Item #: i_322656Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 96BURGHOUND 95 POINTS "DON'T MISS" "This too is cool, pure and restrained with its notes of petrol and spice-inflected white orchard fruit aromas that are set off by just enough wood to notice. This is at once wonderfully sleek yet incredibly compact with its muscular, stony and tension-filled flavors that, like the Bâtard, are gorgeously long. This bone dry effort is very tightly wound and will require extended cellaring. Despite this, I would characterize this wine as a Montrachet of finesse."
WINE ADVOCATE 96 POINTS "From a parcel that neighbors Domaine Leflaive's the 2017 Montrachet Grand Cru wafts from the glass with notes of white flowers, Meyer lemon, mandarin oil, pastry cream and pear. On the palate, it's full-bodied, satiny textured and multidimensional, more enveloping but less dense than the Bâtard, while more controlled and delineated than the Criots. Succulent and long, it's a superb Montrachet that I would have loved to spend more time with."
- Item #: i_353016Bottle Size: 750mlDomaine Boisson-Vadot, run by father and son team of Bernard and Pierre Boisson, is one of the rising stars in Mersault. The philosophy of the Domaine revolves around careful, hands-on vineyard management to coax the greatest potential of each vintage out of the various plots, and low-impact winemaking in the cellars that allows the unique terroir of each vineyard to surface. New oak is very minimal, no more than 30% for the top cuvées, and much more restraint in the village wines and in Bourgogne Blanc. Pierre Boisson produces a village Meursault from his grandmother’s vineyards (50 year old vines in the lieu-dits of Criots and Perchots) that is hailed an model wine for the appellation. The Domaine also crafts other bottlings, from three of the best lieux à dits in Meursault: Sous la Velle , Grands Charrons (planted in 1988) and Chevalières (planted in 1982). The Grands Charrons is the most expressive, intensely flavoured of the three. The Sous la Velle is a more elegant version of the Grand Charrons. The Chevalières is the most mineral-driven, with a more restraint fruit flavours in its youth but great ageing potential- More like premier crus than village wines. Finally, Boisson-Vadot makes a powerful yet charming Meursault Genevrières premier cru.
- Item #: i_353253Bottle Size: 375mlWine Advocate: 96Vinous Media: 96 PointsDecanter: 96 Points**Please note, this is a half sized bottleDECANTER 96 POINTS - "Outer quote mark Anyone who feared that quality would drop after a change of ownership at this historic domaine will be happy to know that this grand cru white is as good as ever. Blending components from three different terroirs and altitudes, it's an elegant, textured, saline white of incredible precision and understated power, with subtle toasty oak and undertones of jasmine and lemongrass."
WINE ADVOCATE 96 POINTS - "Outer quote mark The 2017 Corton-Charlemagne Grand Cru is showing superbly from bottle, wafting from the glass with a complex and beautifully integrated bouquet of pear, citrus oil, toasted sesame, warm bread, oyster shell and white flowers. On the palate, it's full-bodied, layered and multidimensional, with a racy spine of acidity and superb concentration without weight, followed by a long, defined finish. Surpassing the high expectations I formed a year ago, this would appear to be the finest wine produced at Bonneau du Martray for over a decade."
BURGHOUND 91 - 94 POINTS - "Outer quote mark An elegant, pure and admirably fresh nose flashes notes of green apple, mineral reduction and white flower scents. The racy but lacy middle weight flavors possess both excellent detail and an abundance of minerality before culminating in a refreshing, dry and clean finish that is less austere than usual. This should age well over the next decade."
- Item #: i_345109Bottle Size: 750MLeROBERT PARKER 92-94 POINTS :"The 2013 Meursault 1er Cru les Perrières has an attractive austerity on the nose, well defined, and actually capturing the essence of Perrières better than some of the more famous producers. The palate is crisp and precise with a keen line of acidity, well-integrated oak and a touch of grilled walnut and salinity toward the long finish. Bravo! This is very well-executed Perrières."
BURGHOUND POINTS 92 "OUTSTANDING" :"A subtle application of wood easily allows the elegant, pure and airy aromas of floral, citrus and wet stone where a hint of Asian style tea lurks in the background. There is plenty of mineral character to the beautifully well-detailed, intense and delicious middle weight flavors that conclude in an impressively long and palate coating finish. This is not especially complex at present and I would suggest acquiring this only if you have the express intention of holding it for at least 5 years."
VINOUSMEDIA 91-93 POINTS :"Discreet nose hints at white flowers, rose petal and white pepper, with citrus peel in the deep background. Fine-grained and aromatic in the mouth, offering an intriguing blend of sweet and peppery elements and wet-stone minerality. Finishes classically dry and long, with soil-driven smoky, saline minerality." -- Stephen Tanzer
- Item #: i_353423Bottle Size: 750mlCaves Jean Bourdy is one of the oldest domaines in the Jura, owned by the Bourdy family for 15 generations since 1475 in the village of Arlay. The Domaine is now run by brothers Jean-Phillipe and Jean-François, the 15th generation of winemakers at this estate.
The Domaine was certified biodynamic in 2006. The combination of some of the best terroir in the Jura and careful and patient winemaking results in wines that thoroughly express the land on which it is grown.
- Item #: i_353342Bottle Size: 750mlA brilliant golden color. There is a very perfumed floral nose of hawthorn mixed with aroma of almond paste and a touch of spices. The palate is big and well rounded with a rich intensity of vanilla and toast flavors. This wine represents a great persistence; it’s rich and expands offering a palate of beautiful complexity and density.
- Item #: i_344258Bottle Size: 750MLTillets is south facing and therefore profiting in more sunlight. This vineyard used to have lime-trees (called Tille Tillet Or) growing around the outskirts which in the medeival times were used for creating medicines. This soil gives us a wine that shows off the wonderful characteristics of a typical Meursault - the subtle yet powerful aromas staying loyal to its name. Subtle aromas of stone fruits, with a bold palate, balanced minerality, and a long, elegant finish. Pairs well with salmon.
- Item #: i_353341Bottle Size: 750mlThe estate practices sustainable farming, avoiding pesticides and herbicides, and using indigenous yeasts for fermentation. Harvest is exclusively by hand.
A lower-altitude villages-level plot, ‘Reuchaux’ is found near the village border with Meursault. Soils are deeper, with limestone subsoils. A bit more heft, a bit more flesh than your usual Puligny, but still chock-full of herbs and flowers and spice.
- Item #: i_345483Bottle Size: 750MLBURGHOUND 90 POINTS -"This too is super-fresh with its airy nose that combines floral, red currant and evident wet stone scents. The racy and tension-filled flavors possess a really lovely mouth feel if perhaps not quite the overall depth and length as the best of these villages wines."
VINOUS 90 POINTS - "(from vines planted in the 1980s on rocky soil): Good dark red. Quite reticent on the nose, and a bit diffuse. Then juicy and sweet in the mouth, with soil-driven red berry flavors complicated by red licorice and mineral notes. Good density and breadth here--and a bit more size than usual for this wine. Finishes with dusty, horizontal tannins. Clair noted that this bottling is taking on more power as the vines age."
- Item #: i_350923Bottle Size: 750mlOne could say Bruno Clair is a vigneron’s vigneron. His wines are loved worldwide by those lucky enough to know them. But truly impressive is the respect he garners within Burgundy, where his fellow growers consider him one of the greatest of their ranks. They admire his attention to detail in the vineyard, his organic practices (even if he doesn’t bother with certification), and the long hours he and his crews put in. In the cellar, along with his longtime oenologist Philippe Brun (they have been called “the Batman and Robin of Marsannay”), Bruno produces wines that are loved for their purity of expression. They show no ego or even style, but just seem to be true to the essence of each individual vineyard.
- Item #: i_377200Bottle Size: 750MLWINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS-Honey, pastry dough and spice accents lace the patisserie plum and pear fruit in this rich Champagne, while vibrant acidity and a lacy mousse carry the flavor range to a long, zesty finish. Drink now through 2026. 1,400 cases made." -AN (09/17)
- Item #: i_353486Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "Unwinding in the glass with scents of citrus oil, pear, warm bread, nutmeg and a subtle touch of reduction, the 2018 Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru Morgeot is medium to full-bodied, textural and enveloping, with chalky structuring extract and racy acids, displaying real texture and mid-palate volume."
- Item #: i_377665Bottle Size: 750MLWINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS-" Disgorged in November 2017 after 13 years on the lees, the stunning 2004 Blanc des Millénaires is a worthy successor to the 1995. Unfurling in the glass with aromas of green apple, pear, brioche and fresh pastry that are framed by a lovely smoky, autolytic top note, the wine is full-bodied, ample and concentrated, with ripe acids, superb depth at the core and a textural, vinous quality while remaining very classical in profile. The finish is long and expansive. A blend of Chardonnay from Cramant, Avize, Oger, Mesnil-sur-Oger and Vertus, it saw nine grams per liter dosage. This is a terrific blanc de blancs from Charles Heidsieck that has a long and glorious future ahead of it. (WK) (4/2019)
WINE SPECTATOR 95 POINTS-"A seamless Champagne, showing a texture of raw silk, this weaves vibrant acidity with an expressive range of glazed apple and poached white cherry fruit flavors, with pickled ginger and saffron spice details and rich notes of pastry cream, toast and coffee liqueur. More about finesse than power, this is long and creamy on the mineral-tinged finish. Drink now through 2028. 90 cases imported." –AN
- Item #: i_350966Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93VINOUS 93 POINTS - "e 2017 Pouilly-Fuissé Clos des Quarts, co-owned by Olivier Merlin and Dominique Lafon, does not include the oldest vines in this particular vintage. Since these were planted in 1917, this plot was bottled separately in magnums to celebrate its centenary. It has a very classy bouquet, one that is beautifully defined with orange pith, apricot, lime flower and jasmine aromas that all gain intensity with aeration. The quality terroir comes through, even without those old vines. The palate is fresh and citrus-driven on the entry, bright and vivid with notes of orange rind, pine kernels, hints of mango and spice. This feels very harmonious and focused, demonstrating impressive depth on the flinty finish. This is a very impressive Pouilly-Fuissé from one of its most historic and now rejuvenated vineyards"
WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS -"The 2016 Pouilly-Fuissé Clos des Quarts is very pretty, opening in the glass with a complex bouquet of peach, confit citrus, lemon and smoke, framed by a judicious touch of recently used oak. On the palate, the wine is full-bodied, satiny and elegant, with succulent balancing acids. This is an ample, approachable and open-knit rendition of the Clos des Quarts, replete with immediate charm."
- Item #: i_351540Bottle Size: 750mlWe recently tasted the 2017 releases from Domaine Chavy-Chouet and were thoroughly impressed. We called down additional staff members to try them at the wine bar and everyone was blown away by the entire line-up. This is exactly what we look for from fine Burgundy where Chardonnay achieves its greatest expression. We immediately grabbed as much wine as we could and are thrilled to offer you our best white Burgundy purchase in recent memory.
For those wanting to do a "deep dive" into what makes White Burgundy so special these wines from Chavy-Chouet are the perfect introduction. Romaric took over day to day operations of the estate in 2014 after growing up in the vineyards. He has great respect for the history and tradition of Burgundy yet has made improvements in the vineyard and the cellar which reveal themselves in every bottle.
The Bourgogne Blanc is a fantastic wine which will make believers out of anyone who tries it. You would be hard pressed to find a better white Burgundy for the price. Vinous Media's Burgundy critic, Neal Martin loved the Chavy Chouet wines and wrote, "There is a lot in this regional white and it represents great value." This wine is an absolute steal and one to purchase by the case with confidence.
Enjoy the wines from Chavy Chouet and discover how good Chardonnay can be.
VINOUS 90 POINTS - "The 2017 Bourgogne Blanc Les Femelottes comes from five parcels from 15 to 60 years old vines adjacent to the Puligny-Montrachet village crus. It has a lovely, almond and white chocolate scented bouquet that is very well defined. The palate is well balanced with a fine thread of acidity, a touch of bitter lemon and frangipane towards the composed, quite phenolic finish. There is a lot in this regional white and it represents great value."
- Item #: i_353328Bottle Size: 750mlANTONIO GALLONI, VINOUS 91 POINTS - " "The 2018 Puligny-Montrachet Les Champs-Gain 1er Cru has an intense, voluminous bouquet of yellow flowers, white peach and crushed stone aromas that feel very cohesive. The palate has a rounded texture on the entry. Slightly lower in acidity and quite plush for a Puligny, with a pure and quite persistent finish."