- Item #: i_349955Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92-94Wine Spectator: 96WINE SPECTATOR 96 POINTS: "This is tightly coiled, with intense raspberry and cherry reduction notes waiting to unwind, but held in check for now by myriad licorice, iron, rooibos tea and singed alder details. Shows terrific cut and tension through the finish, revealing a blaze of minerality. Just needs some time to harmonize fully."
- Item #: i_350488Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95Wine Spectator: 92Jeb Dunnuck: 94 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 95 POINTS - "This is the Syrah blend, roughly 70% Syrah, 20-25% Grenache, the rest either Viognier and Roussanne, not co-fermented, but blended then aged for a year in tank. The Syrah-dominated 2010 IGP Vaucluse Heloise is a beauty that has an open, rounded, complex style. Offering lots of blackberries, spice, hints of pepper and forest floor, It's medium-bodied, silky, and elegant on the palate, with fine tannin and beautiful elegance. It reminds me of a Côte Rôtie from the southern part of the appellation."
- Item #: i_350340Bottle Size: 750mlWines from Le Clos du Caillou are Rhône blends at their most intense. Concentrated and richly textured, these organically raised, older-vine wines capture the spice and silk of old-vine Grenache grown on the region’s finest terroirs. Each wine too reflects the native perfumes of the south, the “garrigue” blend of thyme, rosemary and lavender that grows wild among the estate’s vines. Of all the terroir in the Côtes du Rhône appellation, the “clos” of Caillou has to be one of the most exceptional. Completely surrounded by Châteauneuf-du-Pape vineyards, this walled parcel of land was intentionally left out of the appellation by the owner, following a bureaucratic spat back in 1936. What this means today is that Caillou’s Côtes du Rhône wines are the qualitatively the same, with regard to terroir and exposition, as top Châteauneuf wines.
- Item #: i_350882Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94Wine Spectator: 95Jeb Dunnuck: 97 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 97 POINTS - "From a cooler terroir of sandy soils just beside the domaine, the 2016 Gigondas Le Lieu Dit is another tour de force from this brilliant estate. It sports a medium ruby color as well as a rocking bouquet of kirsch, blackberry liqueur, rose petals, damp earth, incense, and spice. Ultra-fine, seamless, elegant, and pure, it's nevertheless powerful and rich, with awesome intensity. Readers need to snatch up this blockbuster."
- Item #: i_324102Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92-94eROBERT PARKER 92-94 POINTS - "Similar to the classic cuvée, only richer, the 2013 Chateauneuf du Papes Les Petits Pieds d’Armand (100% Grenache from the sandy parts of La Crau) knocks it out of the park with its Bing cherry, kirsch, red licorice and floral aromas and flavors. It’s medium to full-bodied, voluptuous and textured, all while staying nicely focused and elegant. There’s enough sweet tannin here to allow it to evolve gracefully, but the overall feel is one of upfront fruit and texture."
- Item #: i_311338Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 91Wine Spectator: 92James Suckling: 94JAMES SUCKLING 94 POINTS - "Much older vines, with close to a 100-year-old average. This has a cherry and pepper edge to it. Very plush and even, elegant and refreshing. The stems are perfectly integrated. Elegant, lithe and profound. Layered and long, builds freshness. Drink now."
WINE SPECTATOR 92 POINTS - "Still youthfully tight, with singed alder and dried lavender notes framing a coiled core of cassis, damson plum and bitter cherry fruit. The long sanguine- and mineral-edged finish will need some time to unwind fully. Best from 2019 through 2027."
WINE ADVOCATE 91 POINTS - " I preferred the Domaine Les Pallieres 2015 Gigondas Les Racines, which comes from 75-year-old vines (80% Grenache) at lower elevation. There's a sassafras-like spice note to this wine, along with ripe cherries and hints of clove and allspice. Like the Terrasse de Diable, it's full-bodied and silky in texture, but the Racines seems to carry its alcohol better. Both of these Gigondas are matured exclusively in 60-hectoliter foudres, so there's no obvious oak influence.
- Item #: i_350311Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92Wine Spectator: 92One of the greatest things about the nearly perfect 2016 vintage in the Rhone Valley is that the quality is not only relegated to the higher priced cuvees. The hype of the vintage is justified and the wines are undeniably pleasing. Case in point is the Grand Veneur Champauvins from the humble Cotes du Rhone appellation. This "Baby Chateauneuf" is an amazing wine displaying persistent, deeply fruited deliciousness that just won't quit!
The Wine Advocate gave this wine 92 Points in its glowing review and said this wine is "Worth buying by the case." Wine Spectator also gave this wine 92 Points and called it, "A terrific value."
Other quotes by the critics include:
"This is the poor person's Chateauneuf du Pape" - Robert Parker
"A big, brash mouthful of fruit...as always, it's a terrific value" - Wine Spectator
"It's a full-bodied, concentrated wine that could mop the floor with many Chateauneufs" - Wine Advocate
The consistent theme amongst critics and us here at Hi-Time is this is seriously good juice for under $18.00! It's really easy to understand why. The grapes are sourced from a single vineyard plot known for its quality, which is located just outside the boundary of the Chateauneuf du Pape appellation. This means we can enjoy an excellent wine at a fraction of the price of its famous neighbor.
This delicious, crowd-pleasing wine is one to grab by the case to share with friends and family.
WINE SPECTATOR 92 POINTS - "Capable of rivaling many wines from neighboring Châteauneuf du Pape, the 2016 Cotes du Rhone les Champauvins (tasted as a tank sample) is a big, brash mouthful of fruit but one that's not without nuance. Hints of licorice, cracked pepper and garrigue all come into play, along with a bit of warmth on the long, mouthwatering finish. Supple tannins make it approachable now, but it should easily drink well for 6 years, if not more. As always, it's a terrific value."
WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "Now that it's in the bottle, the 2016 Cotes du Rhone les Champauvins is looking as good as I predicted last year. It's a full-bodied, concentrated wine that could mop the floor with many Châteauneufs. Rich black cherry fruit is joined by complex herb and spice notes, a creamy mid-palate and a lingering finish. Worth buying by the case."
- Item #: i_311555Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 91Jeb Dunnuck: 90 PointsGuigal is a reference point estate for the Northern Rhone Valley whose name is synonymous with quality. This quality extends from their entry level wines all the way up to the single vineyard Cote Rotie's.
The value priced Cotes du Rhone Rouge and Blanc are amongst our best selling wines as they consistently over-deliver.
Most Rhone red blends are Grenache dominant, but Guigal is based in the Northern Rhone where Syrah is king. This delicious wine is comprised of 50% Syrah, 40% Grenache and 10% Mourvedre. It is rich, full-bodied and made in a crowd-pleasing style. The red received a 91 Point Score from Wine Advocate which called it a "ripe, silky wine that should bring pleasure to thousands of consumers."
At the sale price of $12.99 each, it is a good time to stock up on this delicious daily drinker.
WINE ADVOCATE 91 POINTS - "There are an impressive 4.5 million bottles of the 2016 Cotes du Rhone, a ripe, silky wine that should bring pleasure to thousands of consumers. Cherries and raspberries mark the nose, while the medium to full-bodied palate adds nuances of cola, tree bark and spice. Often available at retail for under $15 per bottle, it represents a terrific value."
JEB DUNNUCK 90 POINTS - "As with the white, the quality of the basic Cotes du Rhone is more than noteworthy, especially when you consider the quantity produced. From a great, great vintage for the Southern Rhone, the 2016 Cotes du Rhone shows an upfront, sunny style as well as Provencal notes of spiced red and black fruits, ground pepper, and garrigue. Drink this medium to full-bodied, ripe, sexy effort over the coming 4-6 years. It will evolve even longer."
- Item #: i_350465Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94-96Wine Spectator: 96WINE SPECTATOR 96 POINTS: "This is packed with rich, succulent flavors of fig, boysenberry and blackberry compote, layered with anise, ganache and toasted apple wood notes. The strong, grippy spine is well-embedded through the lengthy finish, while the fruit easily keeps pace. Best from 2019 through 2035. 475 cases made."
WINE ADVOCATE 94-96 POINTS: "Incorporating 10% Syrah, the Grenache-dominated 2015 Gigondas Cuvee Valbelle is another heavenly wine from Louis Barruol. Full-bodied, seamless and elegant, with lots of crème de cassis, crushed flowers, incense and white pepper, it has a touch less mid-palate depth than the single vineyards, but is impeccably balanced and will have two decades of longevity."