- Item #: i_352536Bottle Size: 1.5LWine Advocate: 97Wine Spectator: 97Vinous Media: 97Decanter: 98Jeb Dunnuck: 100JEB DUNNUCK 100 POINTS: "Another perfect wine from this brilliant estate is the 2016 Châteauneuf-du-Pape, which matches the otherworldly 2007. A classic blend of 60% Grenache, 30% Mourvèdre and 10% Syrah brought up all in old foudre, this beauty's deep purple color is followed by a mammoth bouquet of kirsch liqueur, black currants, blueberries, Asian spices, and garrigue. Full-bodied, concentrated, and powerful, it nevertheless is as graceful as a ballerina on the palate and has ultra-fine tannins, a silky, seamless texture, and a finish that just won't quit. Hats off to vigneron Paul-Vincent Avril!"
ROBERT PARKER 97 POINTS: "The 2016 Chateauneuf du Pape is full-bodied but balanced, with plenty of richness and concentration but also a certain paradoxical lightness. It offers complex garrigue and anise notes, a blend of cherry and raspberry fruit, a silky texture and a long finish that shows no sign of the wine's 15.8% alcohol. For technocrats, the wine's pH is 3.7, which is sufficient acidity to maintain a fine sense of balance. This lovely wine should drink well for at least two decades. Together with the 2015 and the 2017, it will be a compelling trio of wines to follow over the years."
DECANTER 98 POINTS: "Yields are always low at Clos des Papes, but this was Vincent Avril's biggest harvest since 2007, with yields of 25hl/ha. A tasting of various different blends highlighted the part played by each main variety, but the final blend shows a young wine that is already aromatically harmonious, bright and detailed. It's fuller-bodied than an average vintage, deep yet fresh. It has a powerful tannic and acidic framework this year, but the wine is very well balanced and very long, with a sublime freshness. An effortlessly brilliant Clos des Papes."
- Item #: i_351463Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 98JEB DUNNUCK 98 POINTS - "Similarly colored to the classic cuvée, the 2016 Châteauneuf-du-Pape Quet is 80% Grenache and 20% Mourvèdre. It offers a huge, rich, powerful style that never goes over the top and stays balanced and graceful. Currants, toasted spices, caramelized beef, and exotic notes all flow to a massively textured, powerhouse of a wine that has a stacked mid-palate, a bombastic personality, and a great finish. It needs two to three years of bottle age but is an incredible, heady, powerful wine."
- Item #: i_351353Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 96-98VINOUS 96-98 POINTS - "Dark purple. A highly expressive, mineral-accented bouquet evokes fresh blackberry and blueberry, candied flowers, incense and exotic spices. Sweet, palate-staining black and blue fruit liqueur and violet pastille flavors are complicated by suggestions of cracked pepper and bitter chocolate; a spicecake nuance gains strength with aeration. Steadily building tannins add shape and grip to the extremely long, incisive finish, which emphatically repeats the floral and mineral notes. I wouldn't be surprised to see this wine turn out as well as the amazing 2015 version."
JEB DUNNUCK 95-97 POINTS - "The flagship 2016 Hermitage La Chapelle is slightly more focused and concentrated, yet is still one sexy red that shines in the vintage. Inky colored, with loads of toasted spices, smoked meats and graphite characteristics, it has full-bodied richness, a terrific core of ripe Syrah fruit, fine tannin, and a great finish. Give it 2-4 years of bottle age and enjoy over the following two decades."
WINE ADVOCATE 95-97 POINTS - "Winemaker Jacques Devernois likens the 2016 Hermitage La Chapelle to a woman’s red dress, calling it charming and flashy. It looks like it will appeal young, as this prospective sample had ample concentration but was also supple in feel. Hints of smoke, crushed stone and pencil shavings frame cassis fruit in this full-bodied and creamy-textured wine. It finishes long, with hints of vanilla and great freshness. (JC)
- Item #: i_352720Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 97Wine Spectator: 97Jeb Dunnuck: 99JEB DUNNUCK 99 POINTS - "Unquestionably the deepest, richest wine in the lineup, the 2016 Châteauneuf-du-Pape Le Secret des Sabon offers sensational notes of blackberries, cassis, crushed rocks, graphite, and bouquet garni. Full-bodied, ultra-fine, seamless, and pure, it has more elegance and purity than the 2010 and is reminiscent of the 2001. It's a gorgeous, extraordinary, layered, seamless Châteauneuf-du-Pape to drink over the coming two decades or more."
WINE SPECTATOR 97 POINTS - "Gorgeous, with warm ganache and steeped plum aromas enlivened by bright anise and floral hints, leading into a core of raspberry, blackberry and plum fruit that is pure and racy through the lengthy finish. Dense but sleek, showing great cut and drive. Best from 2020 through 2045. 56 cases imported."
- Item #: i_353792Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 97Jeb Dunnuck: 100JEB DUNNUCK 100 POINTS - "A modern-day legend in the making is the 2016 Châteauneuf-du-Pape Reserve from Jean-Paul Daumen, one of the greatest young wines I’ve ever tasted. This Grenache-dominated effort was brought up all in foudre and tastes like the essence of this incredible terroir located on the northern edge of Châteauneuf-du-Pape. Deep purple-colored, with an intoxicating bouquet of black raspberries, crushed herbs, black licorice, spring flowers, and spice, it hits the palate with full-bodied richness, a deep, multi-dimensional texture, a huge mid-palate, and a finish that goes on for over a minute. Not far off the style of the Les Trois Sources, yet with another level of concentration, it has a certain accessibility yet won’t be at its best for another 4-5 years, but it will keep for another two decades or more."
WINE SPECTATOR 97 POINTS - "Intense, featuring warmed fig, blackberry and black currant compote flavors that spill forth, harnessed just in time by licorice snap, worn leather and roasted alder accents. Garrigue elements are inlaid throughout. Shows power and depth, with cut and drive to match. Very serious. Grenache, Syrah and Mourvèdre. Best from 2022 through 2040. 250 cases made, 50 cases imported."