- Item #: i_352133Bottle Size: 750mlCERTIFIED ORGANIC
Natural fermentation, low doses of sulfur, cement cuve, no wood; long fermentations, then wines are aged for 6 to 8 months on fine lees.
Antoine set out on a solo mission that consisted of a return to natural farming and winemaking, and getting Patrimonio drunk by those who care, away from the tourists and off the island. Mission accomplished, to put it mildly. After all these years, Arena is the reference point of wine merchants the world over for great Corsican wine. It has done more for Corsica and Patrimonio than anyone could have dreamed of. So what makes Carco so special? The path to greatness is wrought with trials and tribulations. In the early days, Antoine’s rouges were inconsistent—at times great, at other times hot and funky, as he experimented with various ways to battle the island’s excessive heat. The Carco blanc, though, was perfection from the start: timeless Vermentinu imbued with salt, sun, and rocks year in and year out. Through it all, Carco kept steady and won Corsica its proverbial seat at the table. Chris Santini, Kermit Lynch wine merchant
- Item #: i_352148Bottle Size: 750mlMade from vines averaging about 50 years old, the Malacare is primarily Syrah (60%) and Grenache (25%) with a small amount of Carignan (10%), and comes from southwest-facing slopes of sandy soil. After a fairly long cuvaison of about 3 weeks, the wine is aged mostly in concrete for roughly a year, with the Syrah partly aged in large barrels before being bottled.
- Item #: i_351650Bottle Size: 750mlCostières de Nîmes has more in common with the Rhône across the river than it does with the wines of Languedoc immediately neighbouring it. Château Guiot lies just outside the city of Nîmes, in the heart of this appellation. Deep purple hue, a beautifully scented nose with herby aromas, lashings of juicy forest fruits and spicy, rich berry flavours on the palate and a good, smooth finish. Equally good with anything from shepherd’s pie, meatballs or moussaka style vegetarian dishes.
- Item #: i_352716Bottle Size: 750mlProducer/Owner: Hervé Bizeul Vintage: 2010 Color: red Grape variety: grenache 50%, carignan 30%, syrah 20% Service temperature (in °C): 16 Information about the producer Viticulture: sustainable farming Intensity : classic Dominant aroma : black fruit Tasting occasion : gastronomic wine "Vieilles Vignes" is without doubt the property's most representative wine, which gives an indication of the potential of Vingrau's terroir, and of the winegrower working it. If you want to know what the two together are capable of, this should be your first choice. It consists of a blend of the property's oldest vines (from 50 to 100 years old), mainly planted on fine clay-limestone hillsides. The wine is aged in barrels that have held one, two or three wines for 60% of the total volume, and the rest in concrete vats. Before settling down amid the vines, walls and soil of the Clos des Fées, Hervé Bizeul's peregrinations had been many, flitting around the wine business and the world in general. As a sommelier, as a journalist… but most of all, as a son of this hard ground, with a real pride in Roussillon. It was one day in 1990, looking out onto this desert of scrubland, with its dry stone walls and vines planted in pick-hacked holes amid the green oaks with their twisted branches, that he decided to take his passion for wine to its logical extreme by becoming a wine grower himself. Thanks to his hard work in the vines – but also through his formidable enthusiasm for selling and promoting his wine with a talent for forging links that is somewhat uncommon among growers, who enjoy the solitary company of their vines and can be uneasy with commercial relationships – Bizeul would be quick to find success. And this success would enable him to live comfortably and develop his domain by expanding it through the purchase of parcels of land (both already planted and awaiting plantation), hiring workers, buying increasingly advanced equipment and continuing to tour the wine shows of France and the world, proudly flying the flag of his own wines as well as all the others in his region. But if you think Hervé Bizeul has retired his pen, then think again: today, he is among the most prolific contributors to be found in the blogosphere.
- Item #: i_351891Bottle Size: 750mlBIODYNAMIC
"Syrah, Mourvèdre, Grenache, and Cabernet Sauvignon up to ninety years old make up this cuvée. The alcohol clocks in at a very reasonable 13%—how about that for a Provençal red? Gamey notes mingle with velveteen dark fruit, the whole showing elegance and restraint. A limestoney freshness ensures great balance whether you choose to uncork it now or in a decade. Importer Notes
- Item #: i_344226Bottle Size: 500MLWine Spectator: 90The ancient art of Banyuls is disappearing at a frightening pace. One of its great champions and longest-standing practitioners is the wonderful, charismatic Vincent Cantié. He is the spirit of Catalan culture personified, and he makes the best Banyuls money can buy. Made from ripe Grenache picked from steep, stony hillsides above the Mediterranean on the Spanish border, Banyuls is muted with neutral alcohol to stop fermentation and preserve some residual sugar to produce a glorious after-dinner drink. Its best friend is probably a walnut tart or a flourless chocolate cake. Thomas Jefferson loved Banyuls and so can you.
- Item #: i_345898Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 91WINE ADVOCATE 91 POINTS - "The 2016 Narassa, a blend of 80% Grenache and 20% Syrah, carries five grams per liter of residual sugar, right at the threshold of normal detectability. As a result, some tasters may find this sweet, while others may see it as a dry wine. I'd opt for pairing it with cheeses at the end of a meal, where its decadently ripe flavors of cherries and chocolate will shine, accented by hints of violets and dried spices."
- Item #: i_350734Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 94 Points"One of those values that almost seems too good to be true." - Jeb Dunnuck
"This estate, which has created these custom cuvees with its importer Eric Solomon, has been on fire, producing gorgeous wines, whether they be white or red." - Wine Advocate
"I suspect, the finest vintage for this cuvee to date." - Jeb Dunnuck
The 2016 Bastide Miraflors by Domaine Lafage has just been released and is unquestionably one of the greatest values in the wine world. We have written several times about how special these wines are and the unbelievable quality to price ratio. We have sold thousands of bottles of Bastide Miraflors, making it one of our best-selling wines in the store. Once again, this vintage outperforms the competition and equals or perhaps slightly betters the fantastic 2015. This is full-bodied with lush, fully ripened dark fruit flavors which are deeply satisfying. It's hard to believe how good this wine is for the price.
Jeb Dunnuck awarded the previous vintage 94 Points as a reviewer for Robert Parker's Wine Advocate. After tasting the 2016, he enthusiastically awarded this 94 Points again calling it, "One of those values that seems too good to be true." He further stated Bastide Miraflors possesses, "Full-bodied, layered mouthfeel, sweet tannins, and sensational purity." We are in full agreement here. This wine boasts a profile that epitomizes the term, "crowd pleaser."
Domaine Lafage has created custom cuvees with its importer Eric Solomon and is producing absolutely gorgeous wines. Today, we are able to offer this fantastic, opulent beauty for under $13.00 each! We really enjoy this wine which has become one of our customer's favorite red blends in the store.
This great value is delicious and destined to be your new everyday house red!
JEB DUNNUCK 94 POINTS - "A wine that almost always over-delivers, the 2016 Côtes du Roussillon Bastide Miraflors is, I suspect, the finest vintage for this cuvée to date (it’s in the same league as the off-the-charts 2015). A blend of 80% Syrah and 20% Grenache from Lesquerde and Saint Martin de Fenouillet (both in the northern part of the Roussillon), aged all in older barrels and concrete tanks, it boasts rockstar notes of ripe blackberry fruits, spice, dried garrigue, and hints of chocolate. Possessing a full-bodied, layered mouthfeel, sweet tannins, and sensational purity, it’s another one of those values that almost seems too good to be true. Drink it any time over the coming 3-4 years."
- Item #: i_345608Bottle Size: 750MLMade from white wine grapes that are left to macerate with their skins on, instead of separating the pressed juices from the skins to preserve clarity and avoid tannins. The result is a pour with a unique amber hue, tannins that grip your mouth, and flavors and aromas that range from musk to mushrooms to orange Creamsicle.
- Item #: i_300109Bottle Size: 750MLYves Leccia has a certain presence and noble bearing to him, much like his wines. In France they have often been referred to as the “Rolls-Royce” of Corsican wines, a reputation earned after nearly 30 years of making consistently elegant and sophisticated wines.
90% Niellucciu, 10% Grenache average age of vines is 20 to 40 years.
Raised in a small village in the heart of Patrimonio, Yves worked alongside his father in the vines and cellar at the earliest age he could. The Leccias have been making wine from some of the finest terroirs of Patrimonio for countless generations, and there was never the least doubt in Yves’ mind that he would continue the tradition. Originally working alongside his sister, he decided to branch off on his own in 2004 and focus on the single terroir he felt was the top in Patrimonio. This terroir, “E Croce,” sits on a thin chalk soil above a thick bedrock of pure schist, facing the gulf of St. Florent. Yves is a firm believer in the idea that if you want something done right you need to do it yourself, and thus he tends to his vines alone and works the cellar by himself as well. He keeps his yields low, knows when to harvest, and knows how to let E Croce express itself in the wines. Not a single bottle comes out of the domaine that isn’t meticulously looked after from start to finish.
- Item #: i_333477Bottle Size: 750MLA blend of Grenache, Syrah, and assorted Bordeaux varietals
WINEMAKER NOTES - Opaque with ruby accents, the wine is intensely perfumed with aromas of vivid wild berry, warm spice, plum, kirsch, lavender and subtle oak nuances. The entry is juicy and penetrating with rich flavors of ripe blackberry, racy currant and blueberry that generously coat the palate. Easy drinking, the finish is long and clean with just the right amount of polished tannins to keep the fruit in focus.
- Item #: i_313610Bottle Size: 750mlMaison Louis Latour is one of the most innovative producers in Burgundy whilst maintaining its traditional image. With a view to expanding the business in 1979, the valley of the Ardèche river with its clay and limestone-based soils was chosen as the ideal location to produce a top-quality Chardonnay wine. The Chardonnay d'Ardèche is aged in stainless steel vats for approximately 10 months. It is a fresh and easy to drink wine. Crisp, clean and delicious with outstanding complexity for the price, Latour’s Ardeche delivers a basket full of sundry autumn apple and dried orchard fruit flavors. Refreshing and invigorating, here’s the perfect after work “pick-me-up” that delivers way beyond the wine’s meager price point. No oak or butter, just a delightful glass of Chardonnay at your disposal that’s perfect for snackies and light hors d’oeuvres!
- Item #: i_322196Bottle Size: 750MLIn the late 1990s, René Rostaing, a great Northern Rhone wine maker, purchased a property in the Côteaux du Languedoc near Nîmes. Located in a relatively cool microclimate with limestone soils, grows Syrah with small amounts of Mourvèdre, Grenache, and Rolle. The terroir yields a slight garrique character. It may be the best example yet of the Rostaing's ethic: elegant, yet concentrated; expressive, but subtle; hedonistic, but cerebral.
- Item #: i_352747Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92Decanter: 96 PointsJeb Dunnuck: 93 PointsDECANTER 96 POINTS -"Lovely kirsch nose with bags of ripe and authentic Maury fruit. The palate is round, fleshy and warm with a delicious richness of oak, vanilla flavour and intense and complex finish. Lovely wine that's beautifully balanced with great typicity. Full-bodied and very polished." *Gold Medal Winner 2018 Decanter World Wine Awards*
JEB DUNNUCK 93 POINTS -"Another great vintage for the cuvée, the 2016 Maury Sec Kerbuccio (75% Grenache, 20% Carignan, and 5% Mourvèdre) is loaded with character and reveals a deep purple color as well as notes of black and blue fruits, new saddle leather, exotic herbs, and tobacco. Charming, medium to full-bodied, beautifully pure, and seamless on the palate, you can’t go wrong with this wine."
WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS -"The 2016 Kerbuccio is a super ripe, full-bodied explosion of black cherries, richly spiced and textured, with a near-endless, velvety finish. My only hesitation is that I thought I detected a hint of raisined fruit. If that comes to the fore, my rating may look generous. On the other hand, if the fruit hangs on to its freshness, I may seem conservative. In any event, I'd opt for drinking it over the next few years. Drink now-2021"
- Item #: i_345655Bottle Size: 750MLShatter comes from the brilliant mind of Dave Phinney who is the creative genius behind the Orin Swift wines. Phinney has developed an almost cult-like following with his string of successes, which began with "The Prisoner" red blend. Although this put him on the map, Phinney has continued to create highly sought after labels such as Mercury Head, Palermo, Papillon, Abstract and Machete. The secret to his success lies in his ability to make bold and juicy wines, which have silky smooth tannins and are approachable upon release.
More recently, Phinney has focused his efforts on making wines in the small town of Maury in the Roussillon region of France. Shatter is a joint venture with Phinney and Joel Gott. As always, this label is eye-catching and features an image of shattered glass. The labels are indicative of the wines Phinney makes; bold, forward and compelling. Shatter is a lush, opulent and rich wine made from Grenache, which will satisfy those who enjoy his other wines as it is definitely made in his "house style."
A collaboration between Napa's Joel Gott and Dave Phinney, the deeply-colored 2015 Cotes Catalanes is composed of 100% Grenache grown in the black schist soils of Maury. Aged in French oak, this wine is expressive with aromas of Kirsch, plum, blackberry, toasted spice, and hints of vanilla bean which draw you in. On the palate, this wine is full-bodied with a mélange of rich red and dark fruit flavors framed by silky smooth tannins.
- Item #: i_321133Bottle Size: 750MLThis was one of the easiest decisions we made all year! Yes! Yes!! Yes!!! We know the Tariquet is sure to please with its abundant fruit and snappy, crisp textures. Think pure lime and green apple, with hints of guava or kiwi. The Grassa family has owned Domaine du Tariquet in Armanac since 1912, but in 1982 they made the radical decision to bottle most of the grapes on the property as table wine, not a distilled brandy. Tariquet was the first producer in the region to make a commercial wine from the local Colombard & Ugni Blanc grapes and because these grapes oxidize quickly, Tariquet harvests at night directly into temperature controlled fermentation tanks that are rolled into the vineyard. No oxidation is possible, just pure freshness. Just five years later in 1987, winemaker Yves Grassa was named Winemaker of the Year at the largest competitive tasting event in the world, London’s International Wine Challenge.