- Item #: i_351682Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93WINE ADVOCATE 92 - 94 POINTS - "Looking like a future star, the 2016 Gigondas Terrasses de Montmirail is full-bodied, lush and creamy. Black cherry and vanilla flavors finish with savory tannins, an enticing bit of licorice and no heat at all. Very promising."
- Item #: i_350312Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93+WINE ADVOCATE 93 + POINTS: "The 2016 Lirac Domaine du Clos de Sixte is a terrific wine, easily the rival to many Châteauneufs from across the river, starting with its alluring aromas of flowering garrigue and ripe cherries. A blend of 50% Grenache, 35% Syrah and 15% Mourvèdre, this full-bodied wine is lush and concentrated on the palate, then turns velvety on the long finish. I'd treat it like a Châteauneuf du Pape in terms of cellaring: hold it for a few years, then drink it over the next 15. - Joe Czerwinski" - Robert Parker's Wine Advocate (Issue 233, October 2017), 93+ pts
Alain Jaume Domaine du Clos de Sixte Lirac is made from 50% Grenache, 35% Syrah, 15% Mourvedre
- Item #: i_351383Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93JEB DUNNUCK 94 POINTS - "Slightly lighter on its feet, with more red fruits, cassis, garrigue, spice, and subtle minerality, the 2016 Vacqueyras Chateau Mazane stays incredibly light and graceful on the palate and has incredible class. Nuanced, elegant and lightly textured, yet brilliantly concentrated and full-bodied, it's another undeniably delicious, seriously good wine from this estate. The blend is 60% Syrah, 30% Syrah and the rest Mourvèdre and it has a decade of terrific drinking ahead of it."
- Item #: i_345737Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 96eROBERT PARKER 96 POINTS: "Only produced in top vintages (this is the first since 2012), the 2015 Cornas Vieilles Fontaines comes from 80-year-old vines within the La Fontaine lieu-dit. It's a tough wine to evaluate at this stage, as it's quite closed and reticent on the nose, showing some crushed-stone notes and typical granite-based austerity, but on the palate it shows great purity of fruit and vigor. It's full-bodied but tight-laced, focused on driving through the long finish like a thoroughbred down the stretch. Give it at least 5 years in the cellar"
- Item #: i_345736Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 91-93Wine Spectator: 95James Suckling: 83WINE SPECTATOR 95 POINTS - "An understated style, but focus and you’ll see just how lovely the cassis, cherry and raspberry flavors are, carried by riveting acidity and flecked with notes of powdered white pepper and violet. An iron girder drives the finish, pulling everything along. This is defined by pure, sleek cut. Best from 2020 through 2035.
VINOUS 93 POINTS
WINE ADVOCATE 91 - 93 POINTS
JEB DUNNUCK 92 POINTS
- Item #: i_351699Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95WINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS - "Rich, deep and layered, the 2015 Cornas Vieilles Vignes has it all. Big fruit allied to spicy complexity? Check. Ample tannins that are fully ripe? Check. A finish that extends for days? Check. Oh, you want details? Hints of brown sugar, savory spices and roast meat accent black berry and plum fruit, and while the mid-palate is dense and tannic, those tannins actually turn more supple and approachable on the lingering finish."
VINOUS 94 POINTS - "Brilliant purple. A highly perfumed bouquet displays ripe, mineral-tinged black and blue fruit, potpourri and incense qualities. Fleshy and expansive on the palate, offering densely packed yet energetic boysenberry, candied licorice and violet flavors enlivened by an undercurrent of juicy acidity. Smoothly blends richness and finesse and closes extremely long and youthfully tannic, leaving behind sexy floral pastille and dark berry liqueur notes."
- Item #: 322057Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 95VINOUS 93 - 95 POINTS - "Brilliant purple. Powerful, mineral-tinged cherry and blackberry scents, along with notes of bacon fat, licorice, potpourri and pungent flowers. Pure, concentrated and energetic on the palate, offering deeply concentrated black and blue fruit flavors that gain weight and become sweeter with air. Closes extremely long, sappy and sweet, juicy acidity adding lift and cut to the blue-fruit-dominated, youthfully tannic finish."
WINE SPECTATOR 95 POINTS - "Solidly packed, with a bramble-edged core of dark plum, bitter cherry and black currant fruit, inlaid with bay leaf and savory notes. The serious chalky grip through the finish will need some time to stretch out. Shows terrific interplay between the grip and fruit."
- Item #: i_351780Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92Located at the foot of the village of Rasteau between the towns of Orange and Vaison-la-Romaine, Domaine Beau Mistral is comprised of 28 hectares (70 acres) covering several appellations from the southern Rhône Valley and is rightly situated next to such famous crus from the region such as Châteauneuf du Pape and Gigondas.
After being passed through destemming machine, the grapes are added to tanks where the temperature is closely monitored throughout the fermentation, which lasts several weeks. Pumping-over and some gentle punching-down take place in order to preserve the wine’s fruit and suppleness.
Ageing: 100% in tank.
Food pairing: This wine pairs exceptionally well with red meats and dishes such as roasted veal with morel mushrooms, herb-crusted ribs and cheeses.
WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "With its complex aromas of spice and red fruit, the 2016 Cairanne Les Garrigues is a knockout. Plus, it's medium to full-bodied, plump and succulent, with supple tannins and terrific freshness. It never seems heavy or alcoholic. Drink now to 2025."
- Item #: 350579Bottle Size: 750ml100% Syrah.
The powerful nose is showing black pepper, blackberries and subtle violet flavours. The taste is full-bodied and dense, with silky and firm tannins. It could be paired with lamb, beef and spicy dishes as well as a great array of strong cheeses. It could be cellared for more than 15 years or enjoyed in its youth by decanting for at least an hour before serving.
Domaine Gripa has named their top Saint Joseph cuv
- Item #: i_351683Bottle Size: 750mlDECANTER 94 POINTS -"Alive with peppery freshness and herbal bitters, rosemary and thyme. Full-bodied, very fresh and lively on the palate, with sculpted fruit and tannin, and a discreet bitter saline twist on the finish. It's very well balanced, and deeply savoury and herbal. Drinking Window 2019 - 2026."
- Item #: i_351858Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94-96The wines from Domaine de Bila Haut are undoubtedly some of the greatest values coming out of France. In a region increasingly known for producing crowd-pleasing wines at fantastic prices, these stand out. This is a project from well-known Northern Rhone producer Michel Chapoutier. The Chapoutier team takes full advantage of the abundant sunshine and lower land cost of the Roussillon to deliver an incredible value.
The deeply fruited Rhone blend, L'Esquerda delivers the goods with lush, perfectly ripened grapes showing off what this legendary producer is capable of. L'Esquerda showcases the stunning quality of the 2016 vintage with uncommon depth and complexity. The Wine Advocate awarded this a potential score of 96 Points and stated "there are not many values like this out there today."
This outstanding wine is based on Syrah and Grenache grapes sourced from granitic soils. The term, "L'esquerda" is derived from Catalan and means "the fault in the rock." The result is a faithful expression of the personality and identity of a region which provides great pleasure.
This wine from Bila Haut by Chapoutier is a no-brainer which over-delivers at a fantastic price. It is a great wine to stock up on and would make an excellent purchase by the case.
WINE ADVOCATE 94-96 POINTS - "Sporting a deep purple—almost blue—color, the sensational 2016 Cotes du Roussillon Villages Lesquerde l'Esquerda has a northern Rhône-like minerality as well as notes of classic black and blue fruits, crushed flowers, ozone and licorice. Made from 60% Syrah and 40% Grenache, all from granitic soils, it’s a rich, structured, full-bodied and age-worthy red that will drink nicely through 2026. The quality of this release continues to soar and there are not many values like this out there today."
- Item #: i_333779Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 94-96Wine Spectator: 94Vinous Media: 92-94eROBERT PARKER 94-96 POINTS: "The blockbuster styled 2015 Châteauneuf du Pape A La Gloire de Mon Grand-Père (98% Grenache and 2% Cinsault) put a smile on my face and offers full-bodied, layered, decadent notes of kirsch, blackberries, dried stones/earth and lavender. It’s a big wine, yet stays balanced, silky and even elegant on the palate, with notable tannic grip. It will keep for 15+ years."
- Item #: i_351456Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS: "A terrific example of this bottling, the 2016 Châteauneuf du Pape Cuvée Tradition is a blend of 75% Grenache, 12% Mourvèdre, 10% Syrah and tiny amounts of Cinsault, Counoise and Vaccarèse. About 40% was destemmed in this textbook vintage, the fruit coming from 40 different parcels around the appellation. Floral and raspberry notes emerge on the nose, while the palate is full-bodied but silky textured, ending on subtle shadings of Provence herbs and licorice. It's a relative bargain that's easy to drink now, but it should easily go a decade or more in a cool cellar."
JEB DUNNUCK 93 POINTS: "A true gem of a wine, the 2016 Châteauneuf-du-Pape checks in as 75% Grenache, 12% Mourvèdre, 10% Syrah and the balance a mix of permitted varieties. This classic cuvée comes from a multitude of sites throughout the appellation and is partially destemmed and brought up in concrete tanks and demi-muids. Terrific notes of peppery garrigue, new leather, and sweet red and black fruits all give way to a silky, seamless, full-bodied Châteauneuf-du-Pape that has no hard edges and a great finish. The classic cuvées are so good in 2016, it makes you wonder if the more expensive special cuvées are worth it."
- Item #: i_351455Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96JEB DUNNUCK 97 POINTS: "I was questioning if the top cuvées were worth the money after tasting the traditional cuvée from winemaker Nicolas Boiron, then I tasted his 2016 Châteauneuf-du-Pape A La Gloire de Mon Grand-Père and decided that, yes indeed, the special cuvées in 2016 can certainly be worth the uptick in price. Based almost exclusively on Grenache (there’s a splash of Cinsault and Clairette) sourced from the La Gardiole lieu-dit and aged mostly in demi-muids, this heavenly beauty offers awesome notes of garrigue, toasted spices, flowers, licorice and loads of sweet Grenache fruit. Voluptuous, flamboyant, and sexy, yet also elegant and seamless, with a weightless texture, this is Grenache at its finest and is going to knock your socks off over the coming 10-15 years."
WINE ADVOCATE 97 POINTS: "There are 10,000 bottles of the stunning 2016 Châteauneuf du Pape A la Gloire de Mon Grand-Père, which is good news for lovers of 100% Grenache. Drawn from a single parcel in the lieu-dit of Gardiole (mostly sandy soils), half of the fruit was destemmed. It's full-bodied and concentrated but silky and refined, with scintillating purity of cherry and raspberry fruit, backed by crisp acids and enlivening hints of orange zest on the long, reverberating finish. It's a terrific value that should drink well for more than a decade."
- Item #: i_333781Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 97JEB DUNNUCK 99 POINTS: "The deepest colored of the trio and a true “Wow” wine, the 2016 Châteauneuf-du-Pape La Folie is 80% Grenache and 20% Mourvèdre that was completely destemmed and brought up 10% new barrels, with the balance in demi-muids. An insane bouquet of black cherry liqueur, blackberries, crushed rocks, and pepper garrigue gives way to a full-bodied, incredibly polished, seamless Grenache. This beauty does everything right and possesses a vibrant, sexy texture, no hard edges, and a blockbuster finish. It will most likely merit a triple-digit score in a few years and cruise for a decade or more."
WINE ADVOCATE 97 POINTS: "The 2016 Chateauneuf du Pape la Folie is a special cuvée that has only been made three times: in 2007, 2015 and 2016. As Nicolas Boiron points out, it's a "modern style" of Châteauneuf, completely destemmed and aged in demi-muids and barriques, with a fair proportion of those barrels being new. Mocha cedar notes mark the nose at this early age, while the flavors resemble caramelized cherries and baking spices. Full-bodied, rich, creamy and undeniably plush, it's still recognizable as Châteauneuf-du-Pape, showing velvety hints of chocolate on the long finish. The assemblage is 80% Grenache and 20% Mourvèdre."
- Item #: 350505Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93-95Wine Spectator: 94Vinous Media: 93-95James Suckling: 94ROBERT PARKER 93-95 POINTS: "The old vine cuv
- Item #: i_345174Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 97WINE ADVOCATE 97 POINTS: "The all whole-bunch 2016 Chateauneuf du Pape Chante le Merle Vieilles Vignes is 85% Grenache, with the balance a mix of Mourvèdre and Syrah. The vines are all 80 to 90 years old, selected from parcels in Brusquières, Gardiole, Mont-Redon and Pignan. Glorious raspberry and cherry fruit picks up hints of mint and some stemmy notes, but they're remarkably well-integrated and should be completely absorbed within a couple of years. Full-bodied, rich and creamy in texture, this tour de force remains lively, silky and long on the finish. With 1,000 cases produced, it should be reasonably priced and reasonably available—an increasingly rare combination in Châteauneuf-du-Pape."
WINE ADVOCATE 96+ POINTS: "The 2016 Châteauneuf-du-Pape Chante Le Merle Vieilles Vignes is much more classic in style when compared to the La Gloire de Mon Grand-Père. It’s a non-destemmed blend of 86% Grenache and the balance equal parts Mourvèdre and Syrah, aged in a mix of foudre, concrete tanks, and demi-muids. Classic notes of black fruits, smoked herbs, seaweed, licorice, and pepper as well tons of minerality all emerge from this powerful, full-bodied, structured 2016 that has the purity of fruit and balance that’s the hallmark of this great, great vintage. Forget bottles for 4-5 years and enjoy over the following two decades."
- Item #: i_351838Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96+Wine Spectator: 94WINE ADVOCATE 96+ POINTS - "The finest Cote Rotie Chapoutier has produced since 1991, the dense purple-hued 2003 Cote Rotie La Mordoree reveals a sumptuous perfume of new saddle leather, barbecued meats, herbs, black raspberries, and creme de cassis. This stunningly concentrated, full-bodied, rich wine takes Cote Rotie to a new quality level. Sadly, there are only 330 cases of this elixir. It can be drunk young or cellared for 15-20+ years."
WINE SPECTATOR 94 POINTS - "Thick and heady, with bittersweet chocolate and bacony toast covering the core of black currant and blackberry fruit. Large-scaled and very backward right now, with only flashes of fruit and minerals on the densely structured finish."
- Item #: i_351835Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95WINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS - "As I stated last year, there is no Hommage a Jacques Perrin in 2006, but Beaucastel’s 2006 Chateauneuf du Pape is performing even better from bottle than it did last year. Its dense plum/ruby/purple color is followed by a big, sweet perfume of black truffles, camphor, earth, incense, new saddle leather, and loads of peppery, blackberry, and herb-infused, meaty, black cherry fruit. Deep, full-bodied, and dense, with sweet tannin, this explosively rich Chateauneuf is a stronger effort than the 2005, 2004, or 2003. Anticipated maturity: 2012-2028."
- Item #: i_350589Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94WINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS - "The 2014 Châteauneuf du Pape is one of the few inky colored wines in the vintage. Medium to full-bodied, concentrated and ripe with notable tannin, it offers beautiful notes of blackberry, shitake mushrooms, licorice and pepper meats. It plays in the 2014 vintage’s forward, supple nature, but has real depth and concentration. I don’t think it will be the longest lived Beaucastel, but it will have 15-20 years of overall longevity."
- Item #: i_350498Bottle Size: 750mlVINOUS 92-94 POINTS: "Bright purple. A complex, expansive bouquet evokes candied dark berries, olive, smoked meat and incense, and floral and mineral notes build steadily. Sweet, focused and penetrating on the palate, offering sappy boysenberry, cherry and violet pastille flavors braced by a spine of juicy acidity. Impressively blends concentration and energy and finishes with impressive, gently tannic persistence."
- Item #: i_350313Bottle Size: 750mlWINE ADVOCATE 90 POINTS - "The 2016 Lirac Cuvee Reservee (that's the American label, elsewhere it's just labeled Lirac), a blend of 50% Grenache, 30% Syrah, 10% Mourvèdre and 10% Cinsault, is a terrific value for consumers looking for an authentic Southern Rhône. It’s medium to full-bodied, with scents of ripe cherries, licorice and cracked pepper. The tannins are a bit firm, but they add a pleasantly rough edge to the long, spicy finish. Drink it over the next 5-6 years."
- Item #: i_351680Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "The estate’s top wine is the 2016 Lirac Secret de la Grange, a 90-10 blend of Grenache and Syrah that never sees oak. This full-bodied blend is fabulously concentrated and lush, with ripe fruit flavors of raspberries and stone fruits, an intriguing hint of almond paste and a rich, long finish tinged with licorice. It should drink well for up to a decade."