- Item #: i_322274Bottle Size: 750mlWith a forward nose of vivid fruits, from gooseberry to white peach and white grapefruit, melded with a touch of river water, lanolin and nougat, the palate on 1749 continued and expanded on the initial fruit-laden theme. Sweet yet almost tart, notes of star fruit, more gooseberry and white grapefruit merged with a lush mouthfeel, counterbalanced by good acidity to keep it clean and buoyant. Hints of apricots, orange blossoms and clover honey furthered the delicious depth on the palate. The finish is fresh and quick but with a lingering fruit essence and mixed floral touch that reverberates nicely.
This wine is perfect for the warm weather we’ve been having and has a classic Loire Valley profile with a nice dollop of New Zealand-esque citrus-- it’s balanced, clean, fresh, uplifting and clearly a worthy Hi-Time Wine of the Month. Enjoy!
- Item #: i_351072Bottle Size: 750mlCERTIFIED ORGANIC
Catherine and Pierre Breton are the real life bon vivants vignerons of lore. They are passionate about what they do, they enjoy sharing it with others, and they entertain with a generosity and charm. That they make great wine with such integrity makes our appreciation of them complete. The Bretons farm eleven hectares of vines just east of Bourgueil in the village of Restigné. They produce Chinon and Bourgueil, as well as a bit of Vouvray, creating honest wines for both early consumption and longer aging. The Bretons first introduced biodynamic practices into their viticulture in 1994, just after receiving their organic certification in 1991. Recently, they started the three-year process of seeking biodynamic certification. In fact, they have become international icons for the natural wine movement in an area where the climate and soil can make organic viticulture difficult. The Wines of Terroir from Chinon and Bourgueil are destined for long life in your cellar. Each of the Breton cuvées is unique, with differences in soil, vinification, and élévage all playing a role while still demonstrating a familial resemblance. Catherine and Pierre are fighting the good fight in a competitive market, adding work to their busy days all in the name of authenticity. This wine is from 40-year-old Cabernet Franc, and it is stupendous.
- Item #: i_322154Bottle Size: 750MLLes Varennes du Grand Clos is a slope of siliceous clay and limestone that has proven its ability to yield complex Chinons that stand the test of time-old bottles from decades past are still in their prime. Farming is organic, and the wine ages for over a year in barrel before bottling. The trademark of Les Varennes is its finesse: while structure is certainly not lacking, there is a harmony to fruit, acid, and tannins that allows us to pull the cork today. Its earthy flavors pair perfectly with rustic French cuisine; try a beef stew or wild mushrooms for a guaranteed match.
- Item #: i_345041Bottle Size: 750MLThe towering, regal Château de Brézé just outside of Saumur is not only a UNESCO World Heritage site but also, historically, an important reference in fine French wine. Lauded by King Réné Anjou in the 15th century classical literature, the Château de Brézé wines were regarded with such esteem that the royals exchanged them annually with the great Sauternes of Château d’Yquem. The vineyards belonging to the Château de Brézé entered a Renaissance of their own in 2009 when Count de Colbert conferred upon Yves and Arnaud Lambert management of the viticultural estate. The father and son team have immediately converted the entire 25 hectares to organic methods, with official certification as of the 2012 vintage. This movement stems first and foremost from the desire to express each individual Clos in its purest, most vibrant form.
The Lamberts strive for consistent methods in the cellar, so that each individual terroir is what shines through. Only the traditional champagne methods for the crémants, which—grown on the estate’s chalkiest soils—gives the more prestigious appellation a clear run for its money. The Saumur Blanc and Rouge are vinified and aged exclusively in stainless steel to maintain fruit and freshness. As one moves up in the range and the wines gain in power and density, each of the five Clos wines see an increasing percentage of new oak and longer élevage.
Taste: tobacco, raspberry, cassis, violet and pepper
Nose: tobacco, berry and flower
- Item #: i_345255Bottle Size: 750MLNew owner Arnaud Lambert restored this 15th century estate in 2009 and converted the property to organic farming (currently being converted to biodynamic). The hill of Brézé is one of the great terroirs of the Loire Valley benefiting from higher elevation, cooling wind, and the friable, limestone soil know as Tuffeau intermixed with clay and sand. The Clos du Midi Saumur Blanc is fruity and vibrant on the palate. The fruit is very present (lemon, lime). An excellent representation of a dry Chenin Blanc from Château de Brézé.
- Item #: i_311491Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 90100% Sauvignon Blanc
A racy, aggressive Sauvignon nose of chalk and flint; round in the mouth with herbal notes and very fresh.
- Item #: i_351698Bottle Size: 750mlCONVERSION TO ORGANIC
The village of Clisson produces classic Muscadet Sèvre et Maine as well as Cru Clisson that is aged for over 20 months sur lie, showing the two extremes of the Melon de Bourgogne grape. Because Melon de Bourgogne generally takes a back seat to any minerality that wants to seep into the vines and into the grapes, it is seen as the ideal vehicle for mineral-expressive wines in France.
- Item #: i_345502Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 92Bretonniere comes from a 3 hectare monopole vineyard in Vouvray. Bretonniere combines remarkable density and richness with vivacity deriving from the wine's minerality and focused acidity. It can be enjoyed young for the accessible fruit - especially if decanted - or aged for many years which will bring out the nuances of a great Chenin Blanc from a top site in Vouvray.
WINE SPECTATOR 92 POINTS - " Juicy, with good energy in reserve, this has a core of ginger, quince, apple and fig notes that should open up soon enough, backed by a light minerally thread through the finish. Chenin Blanc. Drink now through 2019. 40 cases imported."
- Item #: i_333002Bottle Size: 750ml100% Sauvignon Blanc.
When tasting the wines of Denis Jamain, it is clear that the appellation of Reuilly, in the eastern Loire, is experiencing a renaissance, moving far beyond its former status as the "poor man's Sancerre." This land was once a source of great pride, having been part of a gift of the 7th century king, Dagobert, to the Royal Abbey of Saint Denis. Phylloxera had ravaged the majority of the vineyards here in the late 19th century, but Camille Rousseau (Denis’ maternal grandfather) had faith in the future of Reuilly. In 1935, he planted his first vines here, in addition to farming a large oak forest on the outskirts of town. Denis shares his grandfather's passion for the vineyards and the forest, as well as his hometown pride. Though he studied in the United States and speaks excellent English, this charismatic and friendly gentleman wanted nothing more than to return home to take over the family domaine. In 1990, Denis began adding to the family holdings. Today, he farms a total of seventeen hectares in the heart of the appellation, with eleven planted to Sauvignon Blanc, four planted to Pinot Noir, and two planted to Pinot Gris, which makes his superb and distinctive Reuilly rose.
The soils here are rich, resting on the prized Kimmeridgian limestone, a geological chain that connects the Loire Valley with Chablis in Burgundy. This limestone is valued for its high content of marine and shell fossils dating back 150 million years ago to the Jurassic period. These minerals are without equal for producing some of the most beautiful whites in France. Denis has been practicing sustainable agriculture for many years and has recently started the conversion process for organic certification. Though he uses both stainless steel tanks and oak, Denis is very proud to be able to select special oaks from his grandfather's forest to make his barrels. This is the concept of "local" in its purest form.
- Item #: i_333850Bottle Size: 375MLWine Spectator: 96**Please note, this is a half sized bottleWINE SPECTATOR 96 POINTS - "Bold, lush and tropical in feel, with creamed papaya and mango notes seamlessly gliding together, while coconut, green plum, ginger, quince and white peach flavors fill in the background. Offers a succulent finish, but stays pure and steady thanks to perfectly embedded acidity. Best from 2015 through 2030."
- Item #: i_351796Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 93WINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS - "Piercing and pure, with pear, green apple and green almond notes carried by a sleek, minerally edge. Shows juiciness along the edges and flashes of honeysuckle and bitter almond in the background. Drink now through 2033."
- Item #: i_350611Bottle Size: 750mlIN ORGANIC CONVERSION AS OF 2016
After the first step of regularly plowing the soils, he is now slowly converting to organic viticulture, with certification expected for 2019. Moving forward, he also participates in biodynamic training sessions with the Massons and has already incorporated biodynamic infusions of rhubarb, meadowsweet, horsetail, and comfrey into his viticultural methods to reduce the need for copper treatments.
100% de-stemmed, indigenous yeasts, filtered
Made from the Tréssallier grape and a bit of Chardonnay, this vibrant white wine is delicious with seafood and light dishes. Tréssallier is a local varietal unique to Saint Pourçain which is at risk of being pulled out and replaced by more international grape varieties. Domaine des Bérioles is determined to preserve Tréssallier and to make wines that demonstrate its full potential. No malolactic fermentation, 3 months aging on fine lees in tank.
- Item #: i_350578Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 94WINE SPECTATOR 94 POINTS - "Green plum and verbena notes lead the way for now, with a flash of quinine on the finish. This is juicy, but still a bit compact overall, with the core of ample pear, quince and ginger flavors in reserve. Just wait for everything to knit together and stretch out, as the purity and length are there. Best from 2018 through 2028."
- Item #: i_351745Bottle Size: 750mlWINE SPECTATOR 96 POINTS - "A beauty, with an inviting display of succulent yellow apple, green plum, pear, persimmon and quince flavors that ripples lengthily through the finish, while light verbena, ginger and honeysuckle notes dart around. A long green tea echo runs through the finish. Shows terrific range and purity, with the sweetness easily harnessed for balance. Best from 2019 through 2040."
- Item #: i_350997Bottle Size: 750mlA dry white produced from 40 year old vines of Chenin Blanc planted on clayey-schist soil. Following a selection of plots representing 2 ha, the grapes are handpicked at full maturity requiring up to 4 pickings. The average yield is 40 hl/ha. Once the bunches are pressed the juice is fermented in demi-muid barrels of 400 to 500 litres for up to 3 months at cellar temperature 19°C - 21°C. The wine is then aged on fine lies for 18 months in the same barrels which are 1 to 8 years old.
The colour is light yellow, the nose is intense and complex with floral and citrus aromas. The palate is medium-bodied, the moderate richness is well-balanced by the acidity, great intensity of flavours on the long finish. As there is no new oak and the barrels are of a large volume, the Chenin Blanc's aromas and flavours are not over powered by any oaky characteristics either on the nose and palate, the oak is well integrated. The wine may be cellared for up to 8 years.
- Item #: i_351440Bottle Size: 750mlA dry white named after the ancient village of Savennières. Slate and limestone soils on south-facing slopes overlooking the Loire in Anjou, near the city of Angers. Bone-dry, full bodied, assertive and lingering on the palate. No oak, its richness, complexity and age-ability place it among the world’s finest and most distinctive wines. This wine is distinguished from the other Savennières of the domaine by its character. Fresh and full of minerality while staying powerful, it exudes all the aromatic richness and elegance of Chenin Blanc grown on a great terroir. Much like a butterfly, the wine seems to flutter and fly!
- Item #: i_345150Bottle Size: 750MLÉric Chevalier is a rising star in the Nantais of the Loire Valley.In 2005, he decided to return to his hometown of Saint-Philbert de Grandlieu, just southwest of Nantes, and ended up taking over the family domaine, Domaine de l’Aujardière, the next year. Éric sustainably farms twenty-five hectares of vines, producing wines of great character and finesse. He found his future in his family’s past.
- Item #: i_350956Bottle Size: 750mlAn expressive, slightly exotic nose filled with ripe grapefruit and pineapple aromas. On the palate, the wine is pure and chiseled, limestone and flinty in character. Very pretty and balanced with a fleur de sel note through the long, bone-dry finish.