- Item #: i_322274Bottle Size: 750mlWith a forward nose of vivid fruits, from gooseberry to white peach and white grapefruit, melded with a touch of river water, lanolin and nougat, the palate on 1749 continued and expanded on the initial fruit-laden theme. Sweet yet almost tart, notes of star fruit, more gooseberry and white grapefruit merged with a lush mouthfeel, counterbalanced by good acidity to keep it clean and buoyant. Hints of apricots, orange blossoms and clover honey furthered the delicious depth on the palate. The finish is fresh and quick but with a lingering fruit essence and mixed floral touch that reverberates nicely.
This wine is perfect for the warm weather we’ve been having and has a classic Loire Valley profile with a nice dollop of New Zealand-esque citrus-- it’s balanced, clean, fresh, uplifting and clearly a worthy Hi-Time Wine of the Month. Enjoy!
- Item #: i_350399Bottle Size: 750ml#51 WINE ENTHUSIAST TOP 100 of 2018
WINE ENTHUSIAST 93 POINTS - "A single vineyard offering from selected parcels in the La Moussiere vineyard. Certified biodynamic. 7-8 months on fine lees after fermentation, prior to bottling. This wine comes from Mellot's home domaine of La Moussière, It is young and intense, with a mix of spice, concentrated citrus and crisp acidity. The depth of flavor in this wine is extraordinary and merits aging. Drink from 2020."
- Item #: i_334246Bottle Size: 750ML“Trinch” is named after a German expression meaning “cheers” championed by the poet and philosopher Rabelais. Trinch is a Cabernet Franc from younger vines vinified in stainless steel with a cold maceration. It is made for early consumption and typically has very accessible fruit, soft tannins and low alcohol. Bottled in the Spring after harvest.
Breton Bourgueil Trinch! brims with fresh, tart evocations of ripe blackberries; offers infectiously juicy satisfaction, and adds some finishing interest by way of bitter fruit pit and bittersweet herbal hints.
- Item #: i_351882Bottle Size: 750mlCERTIFIED ORGANIC
The Bretons first introduced biodynamic practices into their viticulture in 1994, just after receiving their organic certification in 1991. Recently, they started the three-year process of seeking biodynamic certification. In fact, they have become international icons for the natural wine movement in an area where the climate and soil can make organic viticulture difficult. Catherine and Pierre are two of the hardest working people we know of in the wine businesses. This explains why their wines, despite the fact that they are totally natural and unadulterated, are so incredibly consistent; consistently delicious. Their achievements and contributions to the natural and organic wine movement globally cannot be underestimated. Kermit Lynch
- Item #: i_374376Bottle Size: 750MLChampalou’s Cuvée des Fondraux Vouvray is a mainstay in our cellar. It is consistently good, and an excellent value. This Loire white comes from 45-year-old Chenin Blanc vines grown in clay, limestone and flint soils. After harvest, the juice is pressed immediately and aged in neutral wooden barrels for eleven months. Catherine and Didier Champalou have farmed their estate using organic winemaking practices. In the glass, the color is pale gold with a delicately woven bouquet of apples, nectarine and acacia blossoms. This is a fuller-bodied intense wine on the palate, and is off-dry with honeyed pear, marmalade and slightly nutty notes and a lasting finish. There is good acidity present, making this wine harmonious and quite balanced. Try this incredibly food friendly Vouvray with pork, shellfish, chicken and cheese dishes. Pictured above, R to L, Catherine, daughter Céline and husband Didier Champalou.
- Item #: i_322154Bottle Size: 750MLWINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS - "A bramble- and bay leaf—edged version, with a mix of dark cherry and red currant fruit forming the core. Light singed tobacco and a fresh chalk threads line the finish. Long and refined, showing a lovely tug of earth at the end. Drink now through 2026."
Les Varennes du Grand Clos is a slope of siliceous clay and limestone that has proven its ability to yield complex Chinons that stand the test of time-old bottles from decades past are still in their prime. Farming is organic, and the wine ages for over a year in barrel before bottling. The trademark of Les Varennes is its finesse: while structure is certainly not lacking, there is a harmony to fruit, acid, and tannins that allows us to pull the cork today. Its earthy flavors pair perfectly with rustic French cuisine; try a beef stew or wild mushrooms for a guaranteed match.
- Item #: i_322561Bottle Size: 750MLFrom a ripe vintage comes this rich Chenin Blanc redolent of lanolin, pollen, ripe pear and quince over a base of wet stones. The richness in the mouth is cut but the rapier like acidity and the fruit is contrasted nicely by the crisp mineral notes.
- Item #: i_344231Bottle Size: 750MLBrézé is a unique site due to its relatively high elevation and eminently nuanced geological profile. The high composition of tuffeau, a porous, chalky limestone also used in the construction of much of the Loire’s Renaissance architecture, results in finely mineral Chenin Blanc. Clay and sand also lend themselves to the diversity of the terroirs, giving body to the reds and richness to the whites. With five historic and clearly delimited Clos to work with, the Lambert duo has the incredible opportunity to truly understand and reveal the distinctions within this extraordinary appellation.
- Item #: i_352258Bottle Size: 750mlMade only in exceptional vintages, “L’Amiral” (“The Admiral”) is truly commanding. An homage to the utterly uncompromising, rugged, old-school Chinon of ages past, it is produced exclusively from the press juice of Cabernet Franc, and aged in used 225-liter barrels (third-passage oak purchased from Bordeaux) for a minimum of two years before bottling—although the imposing architecture of the 2010 vintage prompted Michel to give this particular wine a full four years. The “L’Amiral” (a Touraine in name but a Chinon in spirit) snarls and growls, a grainy transmission from another era. The deep, sanguine nose invites inward rather than explodes outward—a whirling mass of pipe tobacco, leathery spice, savory herbs, and iron. The classic Cabernet Franc varietal character so evident in the two wines above is muted but still present, a whisper of tangy red fruit and pretty violets beneath the visceral roar. While still bare-knuckled in its tannic thrust, this wine manages to avoid heaviness on the palate, which echoes the intensity and spice-driven blast of the aromatic profile. It is a testament to the estate’s commitment to classicism that they produce such a bold, full-throttle wine as this—one which fits beautifully within our portfolio alongside other such beloved outliers as Chateau Pradeaux in Bandol, Domaine Levet in Cote-Rotie, and Paolo Bea in Montefalco.
- Item #: i_349966Bottle Size: 750mlno herbicides, no pesticides, no anti-botrytis and in some areas we are practicing organic
This "Baby Sancerre" from the small appelation of Coteaux du Giennois near the Loire River is pale gold in color with aromas of white flowers, citrus and exotic fruits (grapefruit, passion fruit). The palate is refreshing with good balance showing additional notes of quince and pear. 100% Sauvignon Blanc
- Item #: i_333451Bottle Size: 750MLThe incremental changes made in both the winery and vineyards over the years and more recently by Benjamin Dagueneau have come together with a vintage that could best express what he was trying to say. Aromatic ripeness without high alcohol. Massive mineral concentration that will yield over time and marry perfectly with the high-toned fruit components and barrel and bottle complexity that seem in perfect harmony. The most young and backward of the bunch (as usual), this wine has massive acidity that provides the perfect balance to the mineral profile that is so prevalent in the mouth. No shortage of fruit, but for the time being, this wine is all about structure and potential. Sit back and marvel at what the years have in store for this wine, and make sure you save some.
- Item #: i_352282Bottle Size: 750mlThe legendary Didier Dagueneau changed the perception of Pouilly Fume. After his death in a plane crash in 2008, his son Louis Benjamin took the reins, and his years of working with his father led to a seamless transition. The Silex is among the greatest expression of Sauvignon Blanc in the world. The wine undergoes whole cluster fermentation, with varieties of native yeasts. Fermentation occurs in small stainless steel and oak barrels. After initial racking, the wine stays on the lees until bottling. There is no malolactic fermentation.
- Item #: i_311491Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 90100% Sauvignon Blanc
A racy, aggressive Sauvignon nose of chalk and flint; round in the mouth with herbal notes and very fresh.
- Item #: i_311160Bottle Size: 750MLDomaine de la Chanteleuserie means “place where the larks sing,” hence the singing bird on the front. The domaine is perched on a limestone plateau in an idyllic landscape in the heart of Touraine. The vineyards enjoy full southern exposure helping to ripen the Cabernet Franc grapes. This is the land of Cabernet Franc, better known locally as “Breton.” Though it’s known often as a blending grape in Bordeaux, it has the ability to shine nicely on it’s own in the Loire.
- Item #: i_322262Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 91WINE SPECTATOR 91 POINTS: "Offers a grippy feel, with a brambly note working with singed vanilla and alder details to form the frame around the core of juicy plum and black currant flavors. Light tar, tobacco and dark olive accents flash through the finish."
- Item #: i_352136Bottle Size: 750mlCERTIFIED ORGANIC
Winemaker Notes - "Crisp apple, blossom honey, and a subtle note of grapefruit zest on the nose. Juicy and penetrating on the palate, offering lively orange zest and orchard fruit flavors along with hints of anise and honeysuckle. Very pure and focused."
- Item #: i_351796Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 93WINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS - "Piercing and pure, with pear, green apple and green almond notes carried by a sleek, minerally edge. Shows juiciness along the edges and flashes of honeysuckle and bitter almond in the background. Drink now through 2033."
- Item #: i_350611Bottle Size: 750mlIN ORGANIC CONVERSION AS OF 2016
After the first step of regularly plowing the soils, he is now slowly converting to organic viticulture, with certification expected for 2019. Moving forward, he also participates in biodynamic training sessions with the Massons and has already incorporated biodynamic infusions of rhubarb, meadowsweet, horsetail, and comfrey into his viticultural methods to reduce the need for copper treatments.
100% de-stemmed, indigenous yeasts, filtered
Made from the Tréssallier grape and a bit of Chardonnay, this vibrant white wine is delicious with seafood and light dishes. Tréssallier is a local varietal unique to Saint Pourçain which is at risk of being pulled out and replaced by more international grape varieties. Domaine des Bérioles is determined to preserve Tréssallier and to make wines that demonstrate its full potential. No malolactic fermentation, 3 months aging on fine lees in tank.
- Item #: i_345570Bottle Size: 750MLThis Pinot Noir Rose has lively aromas of red fruits and a soft underlying minerality. Light and playful with some cherry and watermelon fruit on the palate. A fresh style of rosé that is very easy and fun to drink while grilling and chilling with friends.