- Item #: i_350029Bottle Size: 750mlIn 2009, the château’s new owner, le Comte de Colbert, asked Yves Lambert and his son, Arnaud, from Domaine de Saint-Just, to manage the estate. They accepted with a twenty-five year lease and immediately began a hard work of converting these historical vineyards to organic culture after more than fifty years of chemical farming. Today, five after many years of quality farming and the deft touch of Arnaud, the brilliance of the wines known centuries ago is reemerging.
Inside the bottle: The wine starts out aromatically expressing the magic that limestone imparts to its local vine community. Pure and striking fruits, like sweet lime, meyer lemon with lemon curd, exotic spice and flint dart out of the glass and into the nose. If you can manage to keep it in the glass for a couple of hours of slow observation and drinking, the wine will take you on a rollercoaster of highs that seem only to climber higher with every passing minute. Acidity? More than you can imagine but somehow it presents itself gently on the finish after a somewhat overwhelming initial attack from the first sip. The wine hasn’t a drop of tropical or rich, ripe fruit notes because this cold site rarely has a chance to develop botrytis, even in ideal years. The topsoil is pure sand with limestone gravel that has been unearthed from the tuffeau limestone that sits on thirty centimeters below the soil. It’s pure sand and limestone soils make it the most unique soil structure on the hill. Anyone would be hard-pressed to find a white wine in the world that carries this fair of a price.
- Item #: i_353318Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 93WINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS - "This offers an expressive mix of yellow apple, persimmon and Meyer lemon flavors infused with light notes of hazelnut and hints of smoke. The acidity is electric, giving this plenty of verve and carrying all the elements to the long and seductive, lightly floral finish."
- Item #: i_323600Bottle Size: 750MLWINERY NOTES - "The vineyard has always been maintained according to environmentally friendly methods (no chemical weed killers) guided by observation and common sense depending on the climatic conditions of the year. The entire vineyard is now conducted in organic farming since 2006."
- Item #: i_354223Bottle Size: 750mlArare white from an appellation of reds, Baudry’s Chinon Blanc is delightful with a Middle Eastern–spiced dish like roasted eggplant and curried yogurt. Outside-the-box ingredients such as black garlic and rose harissa or my colleague Caterina’s secret weapon, sumac, produce an umami pop when paired with the lush, waxy texture of the wine. Bold spices amp up its character rather than overpowering it, so have fun with it. And, if you discover a new “unlikely” pairing, send your recipe our way!
- Item #: i_334246Bottle Size: 750MLThe Cab Franc fruit is just so palpable, like the grapes were just picked and crushed a few days ago. Trinch! is peppery and bright, earthy and juicy all at once. Redolent of the quaffable characteristic people all totally love in this wine.
- Item #: i_354224Bottle Size: 750mlClassic easy-drinking wine with aromas of red berries. Catherine & Pierre Breton vinifies using carbonic maceration to exalt the strawberry red fruit notes. This is a traditional Loire varietal, this low-alcohol Grolleau produces a good wine for everyday drinking.
- Item #: i_374376Bottle Size: 750MLThe Champalous are masters of Loire Chenin Blanc, producing Vouvray in all styles; this still, dry rendition, aged in stainless steel, represents their flagship cuvee. Gentle and refreshing on the palate, it boasts a delightful balance of stony minerality with luscious, almost honeyed fruit and flowery notes, making for a great aperitif or easy pairing with all sorts of dishes.
- Item #: i_344231Bottle Size: 750MLBrézé is a unique site due to its relatively high elevation and eminently nuanced geological profile. The high composition of tuffeau, a porous, chalky limestone also used in the construction of much of the Loire’s Renaissance architecture, results in finely mineral Chenin Blanc. Clay and sand also lend themselves to the diversity of the terroirs, giving body to the reds and richness to the whites. With five historic and clearly delimited Clos to work with, the Lambert duo has the incredible opportunity to truly understand and reveal the distinctions within this extraordinary appellation.
- Item #: i_345148Bottle Size: 750MLLauded by King Réné Anjou in the 15th century classical literature, the Château de Brézé wines were regarded with such esteem that the royals exchanged them annually with the great Sauternes of Château d’Yquem. The vineyards belonging to the Château de Brézé entered a Renaissance of their own in 2009 when Count de Colbert conferred upon Yves and Arnaud Lambert management of the viticultural estate. The father and son team have immediately converted the entire 25 hectares to organic methods, with official certification as of the 2012 vintage.
Loire Cabernet Franc from a historic property which is mentioned for the first time in the year 1063, in records from Saint Florent's Abbatial. Delicious flavors of tobacco, raspberry, cassis, violet, and pepper.
- Item #: i_345762Bottle Size: 750MLVinous Media: 94VINOUSMEDIA 94 POINTS: "The 2018 Montlouis Les Tuffeaux is explosive in the glass. Soaring citrus, floral pear and slate-infused aromatics lead into a rich, creamy palate that fills out beautifully. The 2018 is generous and so inviting, and yet remains airy, with beams of salinity that frame the subtle, nuanced finish. A wine of understatement and class, the 2018 is just gorgeous today. The balance of sweetness, acid and structure is compelling, with the sugar present and yet so well-integrated, in the wine’s magical balance."
- Item #: i_302102Bottle Size: 750ML100 % CHENIN BLANC - No dosage. This feels beautifully fresh, energetic, with polished orchard fruit nose, complemented by a light and minerally seam. The palate is certainly vivacious, filled with desiccated fruit, backed up by great acidity, and a fine pétillance. Full, composed, and striking, with a long, fruit-rich finish, this is very impressive.
- Item #: i_345226Bottle Size: 750MLDecanter: 92DECANTER 92 POINTS - "The late Anne-Claude Leflaive bought this struggling biodynamic domaine in 2008. From 2ha of old vines, Grolleau – normally used in bland rosés – is taken to another level: bright acidity lifts crunchy pomegranate fruit, with spice and texture from 18 months in old Leflaive barrels."
- Item #: i_349966Bottle Size: 750mlno herbicides, no pesticides, no anti-botrytis and in some areas we are practicing organic
This "Baby Sancerre" from the small appelation of Coteaux du Giennois near the Loire River is pale gold in color with aromas of white flowers, citrus and exotic fruits (grapefruit, passion fruit). The palate is refreshing with good balance showing additional notes of quince and pear. 100% Sauvignon Blanc
- Item #: i_352097Bottle Size: 750mlThere are few winemakers in history as bullish or brazen, roguish or renegade, as the Loire Valley's Didier Dagueneau. High-standards, incredible risk-taking, impeccable attention to detail, zealous allegiance to his terroir, and a willingness to take a stand against convention made this once-professional motorcycle sidecar racer the stuff of legends.
However dare-devilish in both winemaking and in life, Didier's untimely death in a plane crash in 2008 shook the wine community to its core. Fortunately for all who love Didier's wines, his oldest son, Louis-Benjamin, is now steering the domaine with the audacity, passion and talent that many critics and wine-lovers agree equal those of his father.
Famous in the Loire and throughout the world for perfumed Sauvignon blanc, Pouilly-Fume sits due east, across the Loire River from Sancerre. Limestone soils with clay and flint (also called silex) contribute to the wines' freshness and often times smoky, flinty, mineral character.
- Item #: i_352291Bottle Size: 750mlFrom the single vineyard Buisson Menard, renamed Renard (fox in French) to get even at a wine critic who had mistakenly named it that way while criticizing Didier Dagueneau, this wine is vibrant and crisp, with firm acidity and flavors of pear, citrus and herb. Great minerality and raciness in the finish, with some hints of melon and vanilla.
- Item #: i_353772Bottle Size: 750mlDagueneau are renowned for being one of the most innovative estates in the Puilly-Fumé appellation, pushing the boundaries of winemaking to obtain superb results with Sauvignon Blanc. Only very tiny allocations of this wine are available, so grab them while you can. Citrus and grapefruit aromas dominate with a tinge of smoky gunflint; beautiful texture and roundness.
- Item #: i_352282Bottle Size: 750mlThe legendary Didier Dagueneau changed the perception of Pouilly Fume. After his death in a plane crash in 2008, his son Louis Benjamin took the reins, and his years of working with his father led to a seamless transition. The Silex is among the greatest expression of Sauvignon Blanc in the world. The wine undergoes whole cluster fermentation, with varieties of native yeasts. Fermentation occurs in small stainless steel and oak barrels. After initial racking, the wine stays on the lees until bottling. There is no malolactic fermentation. The 2017 Didier Dagueneau Blanc Fume de Pouilly Silex is a complex wine with a lot of freshness, a strong mineral style and a long palate.
- Item #: i_311491Bottle Size: 750MLBeautiful crystalline dress, pale gold. The olfactory expression opens immediately on a succession of shades that are constantly renewed. First citrus fruits (orange peel and lemon), then summer fruits (white peach and pear) finally honey notes on a subtle background of peppermint... an excellent complexity that translates richness and elegance. The lively and very frank attack precedes the acidulous roundness of the summer fruits expressed by the nose which are mingled with the refreshing flavors of exotic fruits (lychee, mango). Then, in delicate harmony, the fat and smells of fresh almond and pear are revealed. The finish, based on a stony minerality, is prolonged on notes of very ripe lemon. This wine pairs beautifully with shellfish, seafood and goat cheeses.
- Item #: i_353325Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 93WINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS - "This has a smoldering profile, with bay leaf, tobacco and loam notes opening up to black olive, currant and cedar details that follow closely behind. Shows great harmony now, but the tannins could soften up a bit, which should be no problem with some time in the cellar. Delivers lots of character and energy."
- Item #: i_352065Bottle Size: 750mlBIODYNAMIC/ORGANIC Domaine du Nozay Sancerre is a multi-award winning Sancerre from a passionate, winemaking family dedicated solely to the pursuit of making the perfect expression of Sauvignon Blanc. Philippe de Benoist built Domaine du Nozay himself in 1970 and still manages the vineyards today while son Cyril runs the winery. His exuberant, single vineyard Sancerre is hard to beat with its ripe, grassy fruit and complex minerality.
- Item #: i_351571Bottle Size: 750mlSince the Middle Ages, Fronton, just north of Toulouse, has been the home of the Negrette grape variety, which is nearly exclusive to the area. The region encompasses 2,300 hectares of vines dominated by dry heat and rocky soils and the landscape is marked by hills and valleys, ranging from 300 to 600 ft above sea level. The banks of the Tarn and Garonne rivers have particularly poor gravel soils. Vines grown in this area are forced to struggle and dig deeper for nutrients to establish a stronger root system. This gives the grapes very distinct flavors and they are commonly characterized as having notes of violets and licorice.