- Item #: i_350029Bottle Size: 750mlIn 2009, the château’s new owner, le Comte de Colbert, asked Yves Lambert and his son, Arnaud, from Domaine de Saint-Just, to manage the estate. They accepted with a twenty-five year lease and immediately began a hard work of converting these historical vineyards to organic culture after more than fifty years of chemical farming. Today, five after many years of quality farming and the deft touch of Arnaud, the brilliance of the wines known centuries ago is reemerging.
Inside the bottle: The wine starts out aromatically expressing the magic that limestone imparts to its local vine community. Pure and striking fruits, like sweet lime, meyer lemon with lemon curd, exotic spice and flint dart out of the glass and into the nose. If you can manage to keep it in the glass for a couple of hours of slow observation and drinking, the wine will take you on a rollercoaster of highs that seem only to climber higher with every passing minute. Acidity? More than you can imagine but somehow it presents itself gently on the finish after a somewhat overwhelming initial attack from the first sip. The wine hasn’t a drop of tropical or rich, ripe fruit notes because this cold site rarely has a chance to develop botrytis, even in ideal years. The topsoil is pure sand with limestone gravel that has been unearthed from the tuffeau limestone that sits on thirty centimeters below the soil. It’s pure sand and limestone soils make it the most unique soil structure on the hill. Anyone would be hard-pressed to find a white wine in the world that carries this fair of a price.
- Item #: i_353318Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 93WINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS - "This offers an expressive mix of yellow apple, persimmon and Meyer lemon flavors infused with light notes of hazelnut and hints of smoke. The acidity is electric, giving this plenty of verve and carrying all the elements to the long and seductive, lightly floral finish."
- Item #: i_323600Bottle Size: 750MLWINERY NOTES - "The vineyard has always been maintained according to environmentally friendly methods (no chemical weed killers) guided by observation and common sense depending on the climatic conditions of the year. The entire vineyard is now conducted in organic farming since 2006."
- Item #: i_354223Bottle Size: 750mlArare white from an appellation of reds, Baudry’s Chinon Blanc is delightful with a Middle Eastern–spiced dish like roasted eggplant and curried yogurt. Outside-the-box ingredients such as black garlic and rose harissa or my colleague Caterina’s secret weapon, sumac, produce an umami pop when paired with the lush, waxy texture of the wine. Bold spices amp up its character rather than overpowering it, so have fun with it. And, if you discover a new “unlikely” pairing, send your recipe our way!
- Item #: i_354304Bottle Size: 750mlThis Muscadet-Sèvre-et-Maine-sur-lie was crafted to reveal the complexity and mineral power of its terroir. For this, Domaine Bonnet-Huteau grows its Melon de Bourgogne grapes organically and biodynamically with yields limited to 40 hectolitres per hectare. Aged between 15 to 30 years, the vines benefit from shallow, orthogneiss soil. The domain has banned all herbicides and chemical products, encouraging microbial life in the soil and ploughing the earth. The grapes are vinified traditionally at a tightly controlled temperature. Wild yeasts are preserved to allow the terroir to express itself. The wine is then matured for 9 months on lees. In the glass we find a pale golden wine. Its aromatic bouquet is lively and mineral, completed by notes of citrus. These aromas continue on the palate, promising lovely pairings with seafood dishes.
- Item #: i_354372Bottle Size: 750mlAn original cabernet franc, 100% ungrafted, the Breton in all its splendor. Its delicate tannins and fruit let you apprehend Cabernet Franc in all its complexity! Floral and supple wine with hints of liquorice and crunchiness by its tannins.
- Item #: i_374376Bottle Size: 750MLThe Champalous are masters of Loire Chenin Blanc, producing Vouvray in all styles; this still, dry rendition, aged in stainless steel, represents their flagship cuvee. Gentle and refreshing on the palate, it boasts a delightful balance of stony minerality with luscious, almost honeyed fruit and flowery notes, making for a great aperitif or easy pairing with all sorts of dishes.
- Item #: i_344231Bottle Size: 750MLBrézé is a unique site due to its relatively high elevation and eminently nuanced geological profile. The high composition of tuffeau, a porous, chalky limestone also used in the construction of much of the Loire’s Renaissance architecture, results in finely mineral Chenin Blanc. Clay and sand also lend themselves to the diversity of the terroirs, giving body to the reds and richness to the whites. With five historic and clearly delimited Clos to work with, the Lambert duo has the incredible opportunity to truly understand and reveal the distinctions within this extraordinary appellation.
- Item #: i_345762Bottle Size: 750MLVinous Media: 94VINOUSMEDIA 94 POINTS: "The 2018 Montlouis Les Tuffeaux is explosive in the glass. Soaring citrus, floral pear and slate-infused aromatics lead into a rich, creamy palate that fills out beautifully. The 2018 is generous and so inviting, and yet remains airy, with beams of salinity that frame the subtle, nuanced finish. A wine of understatement and class, the 2018 is just gorgeous today. The balance of sweetness, acid and structure is compelling, with the sugar present and yet so well-integrated, in the wine’s magical balance."
- Item #: i_302102Bottle Size: 750ML100 % CHENIN BLANC - No dosage. This feels beautifully fresh, energetic, with polished orchard fruit nose, complemented by a light and minerally seam. The palate is certainly vivacious, filled with desiccated fruit, backed up by great acidity, and a fine pétillance. Full, composed, and striking, with a long, fruit-rich finish, this is very impressive.
- Item #: i_345226Bottle Size: 750MLDecanter: 90 to 95 PointsDECANTER 92 POINTS - "The late Anne-Claude Leflaive bought this struggling biodynamic domaine in 2008. From 2ha of old vines, Grolleau – normally used in bland rosés – is taken to another level: bright acidity lifts crunchy pomegranate fruit, with spice and texture from 18 months in old Leflaive barrels."
- Item #: i_349966Bottle Size: 750mlno herbicides, no pesticides, no anti-botrytis and in some areas we are practicing organic
This "Baby Sancerre" from the small appelation of Coteaux du Giennois near the Loire River is pale gold in color with aromas of white flowers, citrus and exotic fruits (grapefruit, passion fruit). The palate is refreshing with good balance showing additional notes of quince and pear. 100% Sauvignon Blanc
- Item #: i_353772Bottle Size: 750mlDagueneau are renowned for being one of the most innovative estates in the Puilly-Fumé appellation, pushing the boundaries of winemaking to obtain superb results with Sauvignon Blanc. Only very tiny allocations of this wine are available, so grab them while you can. Citrus and grapefruit aromas dominate with a tinge of smoky gunflint; beautiful texture and roundness.
- Item #: i_352281Bottle Size: 750mlThe 2017 Didier Dagueneau Blanc Fume de Pouilly Silex is a complex wine with a lot of freshness, a strong mineral style and a long palate.
- Item #: i_311491Bottle Size: 750MLBeautiful crystalline dress, pale gold. The olfactory expression opens immediately on a succession of shades that are constantly renewed. First citrus fruits (orange peel and lemon), then summer fruits (white peach and pear) finally honey notes on a subtle background of peppermint... an excellent complexity that translates richness and elegance. The lively and very frank attack precedes the acidulous roundness of the summer fruits expressed by the nose which are mingled with the refreshing flavors of exotic fruits (lychee, mango). Then, in delicate harmony, the fat and smells of fresh almond and pear are revealed. The finish, based on a stony minerality, is prolonged on notes of very ripe lemon. This wine pairs beautifully with shellfish, seafood and goat cheeses.
- Item #: i_353325Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 93WINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS - "This has a smoldering profile, with bay leaf, tobacco and loam notes opening up to black olive, currant and cedar details that follow closely behind. Shows great harmony now, but the tannins could soften up a bit, which should be no problem with some time in the cellar. Delivers lots of character and energy."
- Item #: i_345502Bottle Size: 750MLCERTIFIED ORGANIC
• 100% Chenin Blanc
• 50-60 year old vines in Noizay
• Very thin layer of clay sitting over pure limestone
• Indigenous yeasts
• No malo
• Fermented and aged in barrel (20% new, 80% 1-4 year old barrels
- Item #: i_352136Bottle Size: 750mlCERTIFIED ORGANIC
DECANTER 96 POINTS - "Clos Michet is the smaller of two adjacent clos that the Domaine de la Taille aux Loups owns in the commune of Saint Martin le Beau. The larger is the 12ha Clos Mosny, which is entirely enclosed by a wall. The Clos Michet has sandy soil, faces southwest and west and the vines are at least 50 years old. The age of the barrels used are a quarter new, quarter one year, quarter two year and a quarter three years. Tasted in early February Clos Michet was richer than Rémus with thrilling tension between the fruit and acidity with a very long finish. Potential to age brilliantly."
- Item #: i_352065Bottle Size: 750mlBIODYNAMIC/ORGANIC Domaine du Nozay Sancerre is a multi-award winning Sancerre from a passionate, winemaking family dedicated solely to the pursuit of making the perfect expression of Sauvignon Blanc. Philippe de Benoist built Domaine du Nozay himself in 1970 and still manages the vineyards today while son Cyril runs the winery. His exuberant, single vineyard Sancerre is hard to beat with its ripe, grassy fruit and complex minerality.
- Item #: i_350741Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 93JOHN GILMAN 95 POINTS - "The 2017 Clos du Bourg Demi-Sec is a stunning wine in the making. The bouquet offers up a superb constellation of apple, pineapple, quince, very complex minerality, honeycomb, orange blossoms and lanolin. On the palate the wine is pure, nascently complex and full-bodied, with superb depth at the core, bright, seamless acids, laser-like focus and outstanding grip and balance on the long, vibrant and stunning finish. This too will be approachable for a few years and then shut down for an extended period of hibernation, but unlike the Le Haut Lieu Demi-Sec, where early sampling would be perfectly understandable, to waste bottles of the 2017 Clos du Bourg Demi-Sec drinking it in its early window of accessibility would border on a crime! This is a legend in the making."
WINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS - "This glistens, with glazed pear, warm persimmon, green plum and quince flavors, all carried by elegant white ginger and verbena notes. A light gilding of piecrust adds to the flattering feel, though there’s ample acidity here for balance and drive. Drink now through 2032."
- Item #: i_350577Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "From limestone-clay soils, the golden-yellow colored 2017 Vouvray Le Haut-Lieu Sec displays a deep and refined nose with fine chalky notes intermixed with juicy and well-concentrated lemon aromas. The attack on the palate is smooth, ripe and elegant. In fact, this is a very juicy, round, refined and persistently structured Vouvray with intensity, power and concentration but also fine acidity. It displays a long, vital, beautifully tensioned finish with grip and candied lemon, grapefruit and orange zest flavors. With dine yet tight tannins, this is an excellent, very elegant and textured Haut-Lieu that already drinks very well but will improve over time. Tasted in March 2019."
- Item #: i_351571Bottle Size: 750mlSince the Middle Ages, Fronton, just north of Toulouse, has been the home of the Negrette grape variety, which is nearly exclusive to the area. The region encompasses 2,300 hectares of vines dominated by dry heat and rocky soils and the landscape is marked by hills and valleys, ranging from 300 to 600 ft above sea level. The banks of the Tarn and Garonne rivers have particularly poor gravel soils. Vines grown in this area are forced to struggle and dig deeper for nutrients to establish a stronger root system. This gives the grapes very distinct flavors and they are commonly characterized as having notes of violets and licorice.