- Item #: i_351586Bottle Size: 750mlJean Bourdy is one of the oldest family owned producers in Jura. No modern equipments whatsoever are used when producing these rustic yet refined wines, including the regional classics such as Vin Jeaune.
Poulsard, Trousseau and Pinot Noir compose the holy trinity in this light-bodied, refined and traditionally crafted red Jura wine, reminiscent of very few others.
- Item #: i_351585Bottle Size: 750mlWe bet most of you have never tasted Chardonnay like this! While crystal clear in its expression, this classically built-up Jura white proves to the open-minded taster that grapes are of secondary importance in the production of great wines. This is the essence of the Bourdy family’s Terroir, and while sipping this truly individual wine, it will literally take you to where it was born and raised.
Founded in 1475, the current Bourdys represent the 15th generation cultivating land in Arlay, which today is the epicenter of Jura's revival as a wine producing region. They represent a style of wine which is since long lost in our hurrying state of mind, where immediate pleasure rule our buying decisions. The Bourdy family couldn't care less, and we adore them for this unique approach to the wine world.
- Item #: i_345346Bottle Size: 750MLGuillaume D'Angerville became obsessed with the Jura after a sommelier in Paris poured him a glass of Tissot Chardonnay blind and he was very impressed, believing that it was a Burgundy. This sent him off on a five year search to find a choice location in the Jura. He consulted with a well-known geologist to find ideal vineyards. In the end, he and Francois Duvivier purchased two domaines, one with well tended vines and another where the vineyards were in need of some rehabilitation. At Chateau Chavanes in Montigny-les-Arsures, they created a state of the art winery surrounded by 5 hectares of biodynamically farmed vines that had been impeccably replanted 10 years prior by former owner Francois de Chavanes. The domaine is supported by an additional 5 hectares of chemically-free vines formerly farmed by Jean-Marc Brignot at a site of high-quality geology and exposure. He named it Domaine du Pélican, a reference to the pelican on the crest of the city of Arbois. All of Pélican's wines are currently made in a topped up, non-oxidative style.
- Item #: i_345347Bottle Size: 750MLThe whole bunches are pressed and the must fermented in the barrels where it also matured for about one year. There is no new oak used in making the Savagnin or the Chardonnay. The nose is very clean, with aromas of white fruit and some nuts and spices. It is quite elegant and fresh. Savagnin is a grape that has a little bit of tannins, which are very good to compensate the high acidity, and also the aromas are quite heady, as it corresponds with the grape. A very pure, fresh Savagnin.
- Item #: i_350576Bottle Size: 750mlWINE SPECTATOR 90 POINTS - "There’s lovely ripeness at the center of this wine, a blend of pinot noir, trousseau and poulsard. It tastes of glistening red berries, the texture supple and the finish clean. But it takes a little while to get there, as the wine starts out with some funkiness, needing air to settle in. Give it an hour in a decanter to serve with roast squab."
- Item #: i_351462Bottle Size: 750mlDecanter: 91 PointsDECANTER 91 POINTS - "This Poulsard, only in its second vintage, comes from the Monteiller, Au Bari, Lonchamp and Aux Loges vineyards leased from Jacques Puffeney. It has a touch of funk and spice on the nose, alongside red apple, cherry and herbal hints. The palate is gently sweet, with ripe cherry and red hedgerow fruits balanced by elegant acidity and some creamy notes. Fragrant strawberry and subtle black pepper come through on the fine, long finish. This packs a lot of depth into a light-coloured, light-bodied package, making it a fascinating and delicious wine for the summer months, and a solid alternative to Dolcetto, Frappato or Gamay for those looking to expand their wine horizons."
- Item #: i_351717Bottle Size: 750mlThe green, rolling landscape of the Jura is a sight to behold, and the perfect picture of how a mountainous region nestled in between Burgundy and Switzerland should appear in the mind’s eye. Importer note: Blend of 2/3 unfermented must of Savagnin and 1/3 Marc of Savagnin. Aged in barrel for 8 years before bottling.
- Item #: i_322361Bottle Size: 750mlWINE SPECTATOR 92 POINTS - "Delivers a bright and engaging range of Jonagold apple, melon and pear flavors, with a light hazelnut echo through the finish. Fresh acidity stays well-embedded throughout. Drink now through 2020."
Jura is located to the east of the Côte d’Or, and this area is dominated by the forested Jura Mountains and provides a geographical measure of detachment that allowed certain traditional wine styles and grapes to persist in the region. A classic Jura boasting citrus and nut character( Hint of a sherry character). A Slightly oily texture and a fresh finish, it is mouthfilling, complex and satisfying.
“Fully ripe grapes, brilliantly judged use of wood, and delicate use, too, of controlled oxidation to create what Guy calls “une petite inflection noisette” (“a little hazelnut nose”) are all hallmarks of the domaine’s wines, the consistency of which is impressive for such a cool-climate vineyard region.” -Andrew Jefford, The New France
- Item #: i_351063Bottle Size: 750mlChateau Chalon is one of the legendary appellations of the Jura. Driving in off the Saone plain and through old industrial towns the land takes a sharp jump in elevation and a scenic view of limestone cliffs that the village of Chateau Chalon rests on. There are many ancient towns in France with almost unbearable charm and Château Chalon is in position for the number one position.
While the wines labeled as Châton Chalon are one of the many great triumphs of French wine antiquity, the wines are rare and make up a very small portion of what Jean-Claude Credoz’s production.
- Item #: i_351349Bottle Size: 375ml**Please note, this is a half sized bottleJean-Claude Credoz is one lucky man. Not only because he lives in such an absurdly beautiful place but because he is one of the largest landowners on the infamous appellation of Château Chalon, with almost five hectares of vines.The domaine flirts with organic and biodynamic methods but have not committed to restraints they bring; Jean-Claude prefers to be flexible when he needs to be, especially concerning the use of copper and sulfur sprays in the vineyards. Vin de Paille is the French for "straw wine", made only in the ripest vintages. Straw wine, or raisin wine, is a wine made from grapes that have been dried to concentrate their juice. The classic method dries clusters of grapes on mats of straw in the sun, but some regions dry them under cover, on roofs, or on modern racks, while some hang up the grapes or leave them to dry on the vine.
Full body, Rustic, Spicy, Sweet
- Item #: i_351062Bottle Size: 750mlJura wine is French wine produced in the Jura département. Located between Burgundy and Switzerland, this cool climate wine region produces wines with some similarity to Burgundy and Swiss wine. Jura wines are distinctive and unusual wines.
The domaine flirts with organic and biodynamic methods but have not committed to restraints they bring; Jean-Claude prefers to be flexible when he needs to be, especially concerning the use of copper and sulfur sprays in the vineyards. Organic methods require the employment of more of each of these elements in the vineyards (about three times as much as a lutte raisonnée farming) which he believes damages the natural yeasts he needs in his cellar for the “sous voile” aging, a process where wines are not topped up in barrel their entire life but are protected by a covering of yeast (voile) that keeps the wines fresh and gives them their completely unique character.
Dry, Earthy, Elegant and Aromatic, High acid, Medium Body, Rustic
- Item #: i_377704Bottle Size: 750mlMade from low-yield vines planted on the lower slopes of the Jura Mountains in far eastern France, this 100% Chardonnay bubbly is exceedingly fresh and crisp. It is crafted via the classic Champenoise process and was aged for 30 months on its lees. This long rest is necessary for the resulting delicate mousse, fine texture and pleasing autolytic aromas. A whole lot of flavor interest and soul for the money!
- Item #: i_345867Bottle Size: 750MLGahier’s Jaune is a tour de force. He selects his finest plots of Savagnin to produce his Vin Jaune. The wine ages “sous voile” in old oak barrels for around seven years before bottling. Gahier believes the best of his Jaunes need twenty years to develop fully and surely at least ten years in bottle.
- Item #: i_334027Bottle Size: 750MLLight in body yet intensely perfumed, the rare Poulsard grape here gives a supple-textured wine full of red berry fruit alongside some earthy-animal complexity.
"Redcurrant and cherry, with a hint of hibiscus on the nose. Light and precise, with cherry complemented by floral and spice flavors. A delightful and lively Poulsard." - Skurnik Imports
Domaine Rolet, founded in the early 1940s, is Jura's largest family-owned estate. The second generation-four siblings-now run the show: Bernard and Guy look after the sixty hectares of vines as well as the winemaking, while Pierre and Eliane handle the commercial side. The vines are 50+ years old, the yields low, and the vinification meticulous, leading to brilliant, precise expressions of Jura's distinctive wine styles. Vineyard The grapes were harvested by hand from vines aged thirty-five to forty-five, planted on red marl soils in the communes of Montigny and Arbois. The grapes were sorted and crushed, then fermented with indigenous yeast for around three weeks in stainless steel tanks. The wine was then aged in large, used casks ("foudre") for fifteen months.