- Item #: i_351719Bottle Size: 750mlJean-François creates a stunning number of cuvées, ranging between thirty-five and forty every year! His methodology goes far beyond the details of the average vigneron. For some, his process would be maddening, as each cuvée calls for a highly individualized élévage. Jean-François is committed to minute doses of sulfur, so low in fact, that many fear it hurting the wines during transport. He curbs this issue entirely by aging many of his whites on the lees for extended periods of time, anywhere from two to eleven years! In all of his years making wine, he has never had a problem. In the Jura, many of the wines go through a traditional, intentional oxidation; however Jean-François aims to lend a greater lightness and elegance to wines of this style than are typical. He gravitates toward the Burgundian style, using ouillage to top off barrels. Jean-François Ganevat is a master of his craft, one of the true magicians of the eclectic. To say that his grapes are spun into gold would not be far from the truth; they are entirely otherworldly.
- Item #: i_345346Bottle Size: 750MLGuillaume D'Angerville became obsessed with the Jura after a sommelier in Paris poured him a glass of Tissot Chardonnay blind and he was very impressed, believing that it was a Burgundy. This sent him off on a five year search to find a choice location in the Jura. He consulted with a well-known geologist to find ideal vineyards. In the end, he and Francois Duvivier purchased two domaines, one with well tended vines and another where the vineyards were in need of some rehabilitation. At Chateau Chavanes in Montigny-les-Arsures, they created a state of the art winery surrounded by 5 hectares of biodynamically farmed vines that had been impeccably replanted 10 years prior by former owner Francois de Chavanes. The domaine is supported by an additional 5 hectares of chemically-free vines formerly farmed by Jean-Marc Brignot at a site of high-quality geology and exposure. He named it Domaine du Pélican, a reference to the pelican on the crest of the city of Arbois. All of Pélican's wines are currently made in a topped up, non-oxidative style.
- Item #: 345347Bottle Size: 750MLThe whole bunches are pressed and the must fermented in the barrels where it also matured for about one year. There is no new oak used in making the Savagnin or the Chardonnay. The nose is very clean, with aromas of white fruit and some nuts and spices. It is quite elegant and fresh. Savagnin is a grape that has a little bit of tannins, which are very good to compensate the high acidity, and also the aromas are quite heady, as it corresponds with the grape. A very pure, fresh Savagnin.
- Item #: i_351462Bottle Size: 750mlDecanter: 91 PointsDECANTER 91 POINTS - "This Poulsard, only in its second vintage, comes from the Monteiller, Au Bari, Lonchamp and Aux Loges vineyards leased from Jacques Puffeney. It has a touch of funk and spice on the nose, alongside red apple, cherry and herbal hints. The palate is gently sweet, with ripe cherry and red hedgerow fruits balanced by elegant acidity and some creamy notes. Fragrant strawberry and subtle black pepper come through on the fine, long finish. This packs a lot of depth into a light-coloured, light-bodied package, making it a fascinating and delicious wine for the summer months, and a solid alternative to Dolcetto, Frappato or Gamay for those looking to expand their wine horizons."
- Item #: i_322361Bottle Size: 750mlJura is located to the east of the Côte d’Or, and this area is dominated by the forested Jura Mountains and provides a geographical measure of detachment that allowed certain traditional wine styles and grapes to persist in the region. A classis Jura boasting citrus and nut character( Hint of a sherry character). A Slightly oily texture and a fresh finish, it is mouthfilling, complex and satisfying.
- Item #: i_351063Bottle Size: 750mlChateau Chalon is one of the legendary appellations of the Jura. Driving in off the Saone plain and through old industrial towns the land takes a sharp jump in elevation and a scenic view of limestone cliffs that the village of Chateau Chalon rests on. There are many ancient towns in France with almost unbearable charm and Château Chalon is in position for the number one position.
While the wines labeled as Châton Chalon are one of the many great triumphs of French wine antiquity, the wines are rare and make up a very small portion of what Jean-Claude Credoz’s production.
- Item #: i_345867Bottle Size: 750MLGahier’s Jaune is a tour de force. He selects his finest plots of Savagnin to produce his Vin Jaune. The wine ages “sous voile” in old oak barrels for around seven years before bottling. Gahier believes the best of his Jaunes need twenty years to develop fully and surely at least ten years in bottle.
- Item #: i_345866Bottle Size: 750MLMichel Gahier lives in the centre of the village of Montigny-les-Arsures which lies near the central town of Arbois. The reason this is significant is that Montigny is regarded as the finest terroir for the Trousseau grape in the Jura.The vines for this wine are even older than those used for the La Vigne du Louis having been planted over 80 years ago. The wine is named after the lieu dit (parcel of land) where the vines grow. Here the gentle slopes are fully exposed to the sun allowing the grapes to ripen perfectly. The marl in which the vines thrive add minerality to the wine.
This is a very, very good example of a Trousseau wine having the delicacy that we associate with this fragile grape but also an extraordinary depth of flavour and a complexity that is intriguing.
There are tannins present giving it structure but they are not aggressive. The wine is lively on the nose, has deep, deep flavours (hints of cherry and raspberry at the front of the palate and forest floors in autumn in the middle) and it tastes alive. It has a lingering mineral aftertaste. This is a living wine! No sulphite is added.
Sophie from Chambers Street Wines in New York recently wrote: Gaheir's Trousseau “Grands Vergers” is from a parcel of low-yielding 60-70 year old vines adjacent to Puffeney’s “Berangeres” vineyard. Mineral driven and a true vin de garde, this wine is raised in old barrels and will make a superb addition to your cellar.