Sauvignon Blanc is a green-skinned grape variety that originates from the Bordeaux region of France. The grape most likely gets its name from the French words sauvage ("wild") and blanc ("white") due to its early origins as an indigenous grape in South West France. Sauvignon Blanc is planted in many of the world's wine regions, producing a crisp, dry, and refreshing white varietal wine. The grape is also a component of the famous dessert wines from Sauternes and Barsac. Sauvignon Blanc is widely cultivated in France, Chile, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Washington and California. Some New World Sauvignon blancs, particularly from California, may also be called "Fume Blanc". Depending on the climate, the flavor can range from aggressively grassy to sweetly tropical. In cooler climates, the grape has a tendency to produce wines with noticeable acidity and "green flavors" of grass, green bell peppers and nettles with some tropical fruit (such as passion fruit) and floral (such as elderflower) notes. In warmer climates, it can develop more tropical fruit notes but risk losing a lot of aromatics from over-ripeness, leaving only slight grapefruit and tree fruit (such as peach) notes.
- Item #: i_209560Bottle Size: 750mlJohn Bolta worked the Caymus bottling line for years before he began to work alongside Chuck Wager in the winemaking duties. In 1988, John became the winemaker for the white wines, and he created Conundrum, a blend unlike any other at the time. The idea is to produce a wine full of fruit flavors, yet retain complexity and balance. While this wine is often imitated, there truly is only one Conundrum white wine. Grapes come from Napa, Monterey, and Santa Barbara Counties, and the wine is a blend of Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, Semillon, Muscat Canelli, and Viognier. From the second you pour yourself a glass, you are invited with intriguing aromas of green apple, tangerine, and honeysuckle blossoms. The taste is best described as exotic and ever so slightly sweet, with layers of peach, apricot nectar, green melon and pear, overlaid with subtle notes of citrus zest and spicy vanilla. A rich, round mouth feel supported by fresh acidity brings the complexity of this wine into balance.
- Item #: i_20566Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 90After 25 years of perfecting our blend and in honor of our 25th anniversary, we are introducing Conundrum Sparkling, a wine that’s perfect for celebrations of all kinds – whether they’re planned or in the moment.
- Item #: i_226961Bottle Size: 750MLWine Enthusiast: 91 PointsOur guiding philosophy is quite simple: great wines always begin with exceptional fruit. Committed to natural winegrowing and sustainability, we farm our five estate vineyards without artificial fertilizers, pesticides or herbicides. They are all certified organic.
"WINE ENTHUSIAST 91 POINTS - "A grip of reduction on the nose in tones of flint and matchstick is consistent for the producer's style. On the palate are light-bodied layers of green olive, pineapple, peach and lemon, a contrasting set of fruit and savory elements that work seamlessly together."
- Item #: i_235070Bottle Size: 750MLComing from Tom Kenefick's property in the northern reaches of the Napa Valley, 2016 was ideal for whites. Early bud break and a pleasantly cool growing season allowed for a more open canopy to get the sun into the fruit zone. You'll notice the fine tropical notes aromatically, and the subtle citrus twist that permeates the palate and finish. The sur lees aging and barrel fermentation provide the creamy texture on the mid-palate.
- Item #: i_248230Bottle Size: 750mlOvid Vineyards is one of the true new "cult kids on the street". Ovid's vineyards are located in the Vaca Mountains, on the eastern side of the Napa Valley. More specifically, the property is located in the area locals call "Pritchard Hill", which is were other notable producers reside, such as Chappellet, Continuum, David Arthur, Nine Suns, and Bryant Family The vineyards are meticulously maintained by David Abreu, and the wines are made by Austin Petersen.
Ovid's repertoire continues to expand with these white wines—an indulgence of our curiosity. In addition to the small lots of grapes they source from Sonoma, Napa and Calaveras counties, they have added tiny quantities of Vermentino and Grenache Blanc to the mix. These are coming from a vineyard in the Sierra Foothills located at 1,400 feet. The soils there are free draining sand over tumbled giant chunks of granite.
Vermentino brings some texture and fresh green apple and vibrant zest of citrus to the blend, while Grenache Blanc adds peach, yellow apple and roundness. When blended with the Sauvignon Blanc, Albarino, Viognier and Roussanne, this Experiment wine exudes notes of peach, lemon blossom, papaya, passion fruit, tangerine, custard, honey suckle, wisteria and macadamia nut. It is a full-throated chorus on the palate with lively acid and joy.
- Item #: i_270550Bottle Size: 750mlSourced from select vineyards in Mendocino and Lake Counties, the grapes for this bottling definitely benefited from the large diurnal temperature swings both areas are known for. This allowed for slow maturation of the fruit, leading to more complexity of flavor in the finished juice. Refined and classy, the nose leads with beautiful notions of stone fruits, lemon grass, honeydew melon and a light river water mineral touch; a very rich, rounded nose. The palate combines beautiful viscosity and lushness with good background acidity and flavors of key lime, nectarine and a touch of carambola (star fruit), all lightly rinsed in more river water (minerality). This is an ideal food companion (oysters on the half shell, white fish, white-sauce pastas, cheeses) but will also do incredibly well solo (think friends, patios, sunsets, that kind of thing).