Sauvignon Blanc is a green-skinned grape variety that originates from the Bordeaux region of France. The grape most likely gets its name from the French words sauvage ("wild") and blanc ("white") due to its early origins as an indigenous grape in South West France. Sauvignon Blanc is planted in many of the world's wine regions, producing a crisp, dry, and refreshing white varietal wine. The grape is also a component of the famous dessert wines from Sauternes and Barsac. Sauvignon Blanc is widely cultivated in France, Chile, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Washington and California. Some New World Sauvignon blancs, particularly from California, may also be called "Fume Blanc". Depending on the climate, the flavor can range from aggressively grassy to sweetly tropical. In cooler climates, the grape has a tendency to produce wines with noticeable acidity and "green flavors" of grass, green bell peppers and nettles with some tropical fruit (such as passion fruit) and floral (such as elderflower) notes. In warmer climates, it can develop more tropical fruit notes but risk losing a lot of aromatics from over-ripeness, leaving only slight grapefruit and tree fruit (such as peach) notes.
- Item #: i_206060Bottle Size: 750mlWe’ve tasted this over the years and each time we do, it has impressed and electrified us! It's the Sauv Blanc that many wish they could make, and the type that everybody loves to drink. This is Brander's best Sauvignon Blanc, made from selected estate grapes in the classic Loire Valley style; 100% Sauv Blanc, with no oak and no malolactic fermentation. The 2016 au Naturel once again offers the gorgeous mouthfeel, compelling minerality, rich and balanced flavors, and long-term ageability this cuvee is renowned for. With notes of honeysuckle, Meyer lemon, and cantaloupe on the palate, this extraordinary wine finishes with grapefruit and hints of peach.
- Item #: i_205940Bottle Size: 750MLA classic example of a white Bordeaux. Aged sur-lie for in 50% new French oak barrels to add richness in flavor and silkiness to the texture while still showcasing firm balanced acidity. A perfect pairing with Santa Barbara's richer seafood - we're thinking lobster with lemon butter or grilled salmon.
- Item #: i_209560Bottle Size: 750mlJohn Bolta worked the Caymus bottling line for years before he began to work alongside Chuck Wager in the winemaking duties. In 1988, John became the winemaker for the white wines, and he created Conundrum, a blend unlike any other at the time. The idea is to produce a wine full of fruit flavors, yet retain complexity and balance. While this wine is often imitated, there truly is only one Conundrum white wine. Grapes come from Napa, Monterey, and Santa Barbara Counties, and the wine is a blend of Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, Semillon, Muscat Canelli, and Viognier. From the second you pour yourself a glass, you are invited with intriguing aromas of green apple, tangerine, and honeysuckle blossoms. The taste is best described as exotic and ever so slightly sweet, with layers of peach, apricot nectar, green melon and pear, overlaid with subtle notes of citrus zest and spicy vanilla. A rich, round mouth feel supported by fresh acidity brings the complexity of this wine into balance.
- Item #: i_216510Bottle Size: 750mlDry Creek Vineyard has produced Fume Blanc since 1972--this is a wine at the heart and soul of this family winery. Modeled after the classic wines from the Loire Valley in France, this stainless steel-fermented, no-oak style Fume Blanc is crisp, balanced and immediately drinkable. Winery founder David Stare was the first vintner to plant Sauvignon Blanc in the Dry Creek Valley, and they proudly carry his legacy forward in producing this classic, dry, white wine. This is wine as distinctive and vibrant as the sailboats gracing their winery labels since 1982 (they are passionate about the sport!).
The nose on this Fume is rich: notes of citrus, Meyer lemon and kaffir lime, with a touch of creamy gooseberry, spring melon and salt air. The palate starts lush with amply viscosity as flavors of lemon-lime citrus, white peach and lemon grass meld seamlessy--all while being uplifted by streaks of clean minerality and buoyant acidity. Rigged for running, this delicious, crisp, fruit-filled wine is definitely ship-shape and Bristol fashion--perfect for hot August nights and fresh oysters.
- Item #: i_223060Bottle Size: 750mlContinuing the legacy of the Wagner Family's other profound wine ventures such as Caymus, Belle Glos, and Conundrum, Jenny Wagner takes the reins of Emmolo Winery and is making a hit with these new releases! Her family has a long-standing history in Napa Valley beginning with her great-grandfather, Italian immigrant, Salvatore Emmolo, who planted grapevines and started a grapevine rootstock nursery in Rutherford in the 1920's. His son, and Jenny's grandfather, Frank Emmolo, ran Emmolo Nursery and built a strong following amongst Napa Valley grapegrowers - becoming the leading supplier to Napa Valley vintners for five decades.
Jenny Wagner believes the key to creating a truly unique expression of California Sauvignon Blanc begins in the vineyards. A variety of effective methods were taken to decrease crop production for higher quality wine, including bloom brushing, root pruning and deficit irrigation. The 2015 vintage had a mild growing season that was longer than usual, allowing for slow ripening and a long "hang time."
In Jenny Wagner's opinion, Sauvignon Blanc runs the risk of being overly herbaceous, overly oaked, or simply one-dimensional. She feels a good Sauvignon Blanc should have natural firm acidity, crisp fruit and bright minerality, like that of a wet stone - a style of Sauvignon Blanc that can be enjoyed on its own as an aperitif or paired with a wide variety of food. This is an elegant and refined style of Sauvignon Blanc that is subtle and balanced, with minerality and bright natural acidity. On the nose, aromas of citrus, iron, wet stone and a hint of D'Anjou pear tempt your senses, while a crisp lightness, balanced acidity and underlying notes of fleshy grapefruit and lime zest please the palate. The significant minerality and soft body rounds out the wine. This Sauvignon Blanc was made to pair with food, yet is very versatile. Bottled using a Guala twist top in lieu of cork.
- Item #: i_234020Bottle Size: 750MLThis 12-acre vineyard and winery is located in a small, yet highly-envied area in Napa Valley called Pickett Road. The residents wineries of the area include Kenefick Ranch, Hundred Acre, and Araujo…so you get the kind of grapes are grown here! Winemaker Rebecca George has done a fantastic job on these wines!
With the 2016 vintage the winery introduced a new vineyard known as Kick Ranch into their Sauvignon Blanc blend. Kick Ranch is located in Sonoma's Rincon Valley, on the western side of Spring Mountain. The site itself is strongly influenced by the cool marine air coming off of the Sonoma Coast, which helps to retain the crisp acidity in the Sauvignon blanc grapes. From this ranch, about 35% of the fruit Kelly Fleming received was Sauvignon Blanc Clone 317, and 65% was the Musque clone of Sauvignon Blanc. Sauvignon Musque tends to have a more tropical, exotic nature than classic Sauvignon Blanc and we find that the bright, zesty characters coming from the Kick Ranch property are a perfect complement to the richer, more honeyed qualities coming from the Sauvignon Musque grapes at the Aetna Springs property.
The 2016 Sauvignon Blanc is pretty and expressive on the nose, showing notes of candied orange, jasmine flower, mint and marzipan. The palate is soft and billowy on entry but has an incredibly bright, citrusy spine of acid that supports the wine and lingers into the finish. Primary flavors of lemon cream and lime zest are accented by riper notes of white peach, pear and honey. The sensation of fruit sweetness on the mid-palate is balanced by a saline, minerally quality that adds intrigue and depth to the palate.
- Item #: i_235070Bottle Size: 750MLComing from Tom Kenefick's property in the northern reaches of the Napa Valley, 2016 was ideal for whites. Early bud break and a pleasantly cool growing season allowed for a more open canopy to get the sun into the fruit zone. You'll notice the fine tropical notes aromatically, and the subtle citrus twist that permeates the palate and finish. The sur lees aging and barrel fermentation provide the creamy texture on the mid-palate.
- Item #: i_248230Bottle Size: 750mlOvid Vineyards is one of the true new "cult kids on the street". Ovid's vineyards are located in the Vaca Mountains, on the eastern side of the Napa Valley. More specifically, the property is located in the area locals call "Pritchard Hill", which is were other notable producers reside, such as Chappellet, Continuum, David Arthur, Nine Suns, and Bryant Family The vineyards are meticulously maintained by David Abreu, and the wines are made by Austin Petersen.
Ovid's repertoire continues to expand with these white wines—an indulgence of our curiosity. In addition to the small lots of grapes they source from Sonoma, Napa and Calaveras counties, they have added tiny quantities of Vermentino and Grenache Blanc to the mix. These are coming from a vineyard in the Sierra Foothills located at 1,400 feet. The soils there are free draining sand over tumbled giant chunks of granite.
Vermentino brings some texture and fresh green apple and vibrant zest of citrus to the blend, while Grenache Blanc adds peach, yellow apple and roundness. When blended with the Sauvignon Blanc, Albarino, Viognier and Roussanne, this Experiment wine exudes notes of peach, lemon blossom, papaya, passion fruit, tangerine, custard, honey suckle, wisteria and macadamia nut. It is a full-throated chorus on the palate with lively acid and joy.
- Item #: i_266280Bottle Size: 750mlJames Suckling: 90JAMES SUCKLING 90 POINTS - "A sauvignon with lots of grapefruit and lime undertone. Medium- to full-bodied and round with tension. A delicious finish. Aftertaste of pears and light tropical fruits. Drink now."
Sterling's ever-popular Napa Sauvignon Blanc has bright, fragrant passion fruit and floral aromas that leap from the glass. The palate follows with clean, tropical fruit and citrus flavors, touched with a hint of grassiness that reflects the cool conditions of the vintage. Lees stirring lends depth and texture to the palate, accentuating the notes of honeydew through the middle. Grapefruit flavors add a sweet-tart element that rides the long finish, making this wine a perfect companion to a multitude of summer dishes, such as grilled chicken, salads or light pasta dishes.
- Item #: i_270550Bottle Size: 750mlSourced from select vineyards in Mendocino and Lake Counties, the grapes for this bottling definitely benefited from the large diurnal temperature swings both areas are known for. This allowed for slow maturation of the fruit, leading to more complexity of flavor in the finished juice. Refined and classy, the nose leads with beautiful notions of stone fruits, lemon grass, honeydew melon and a light river water mineral touch; a very rich, rounded nose. The palate combines beautiful viscosity and lushness with good background acidity and flavors of key lime, nectarine and a touch of carambola (star fruit), all lightly rinsed in more river water (minerality). This is an ideal food companion (oysters on the half shell, white fish, white-sauce pastas, cheeses) but will also do incredibly well solo (think friends, patios, sunsets, that kind of thing).
- Item #: i_279540Bottle Size: 750mlThe inaugural 2016 William Hill Estate Napa Valley Sauvignon Blanc is a deeply layered, exquisitely balanced example of a classic grape variety. The wine is rich and lingering, offering density and weight on the palate while retaining the grape's signature bright acidity and hints of minerality. Opening with aromas and flavors of passion fruit, grapefruit and kaffir lime, the creamy mid-palate features notes of white peach, honeydew and guava. Juicy tropical notes linger on the long, persistent finish.