Sauvignon Blanc is a green-skinned grape variety that originates from the Bordeaux region of France. The grape most likely gets its name from the French words sauvage ("wild") and blanc ("white") due to its early origins as an indigenous grape in South West France. Sauvignon Blanc is planted in many of the world's wine regions, producing a crisp, dry, and refreshing white varietal wine. The grape is also a component of the famous dessert wines from Sauternes and Barsac. Sauvignon Blanc is widely cultivated in France, Chile, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Washington and California. Some New World Sauvignon blancs, particularly from California, may also be called "Fume Blanc". Depending on the climate, the flavor can range from aggressively grassy to sweetly tropical. In cooler climates, the grape has a tendency to produce wines with noticeable acidity and "green flavors" of grass, green bell peppers and nettles with some tropical fruit (such as passion fruit) and floral (such as elderflower) notes. In warmer climates, it can develop more tropical fruit notes but risk losing a lot of aromatics from over-ripeness, leaving only slight grapefruit and tree fruit (such as peach) notes.
- Item #: i_216860Bottle Size: 375ml**Please note, this is a half sized bottle375ml - Delightfully rendered in a traditional California style, this inordinately generous wine combines oily vectors of guava, mango, papaya and persimmon with hints of Meyer lemon, kiwi, jasmine, honey and thyme. Unctuous without being cloying, it seems perfectly suitable to richer seafood preparations such as halibut, bass or swordfish. In terms of cheese, we would recommend a creamy havarti as a match made in heaven!
- Item #: i_206630Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94+ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 94+ POINTS - "Bottled in late July, the 2017 Sauvignon Blanc is a real step up from previous vintages, springing from the glass with vibrant lime cordial, orange blossom and grapefruit notes with touches of allspice, honeysuckle, ripe pears, white peaches and struck flint. Medium-bodied with a suggestion of satin to the texture and a fantastic intensity of exuberant citrus fruits and mineral notes, it delivers a very long, refreshing finish. This should age beautifully!"
- Item #: i_223060Bottle Size: 750mlContinuing the legacy of the Wagner Family's other profound wine ventures such as Caymus, Belle Glos, and Conundrum, Jenny Wagner takes the reins of Emmolo Winery and is making a hit with these new releases! Her family has a long-standing history in Napa Valley beginning with her great-grandfather, Italian immigrant, Salvatore Emmolo, who planted grapevines and started a grapevine rootstock nursery in Rutherford in the 1920's. His son, and Jenny's grandfather, Frank Emmolo, ran Emmolo Nursery and built a strong following amongst Napa Valley grapegrowers - becoming the leading supplier to Napa Valley vintners for five decades.
Jenny Wagner believes the key to creating a truly unique expression of California Sauvignon Blanc begins in the vineyards. A variety of effective methods were taken to decrease crop production for higher quality wine, including bloom brushing, root pruning and deficit irrigation. The 2015 vintage had a mild growing season that was longer than usual, allowing for slow ripening and a long "hang time."
In Jenny Wagner's opinion, Sauvignon Blanc runs the risk of being overly herbaceous, overly oaked, or simply one-dimensional. She feels a good Sauvignon Blanc should have natural firm acidity, crisp fruit and bright minerality, like that of a wet stone - a style of Sauvignon Blanc that can be enjoyed on its own as an aperitif or paired with a wide variety of food. This is an elegant and refined style of Sauvignon Blanc that is subtle and balanced, with minerality and bright natural acidity. On the nose, aromas of citrus, iron, wet stone and a hint of D'Anjou pear tempt your senses, while a crisp lightness, balanced acidity and underlying notes of fleshy grapefruit and lime zest please the palate. The significant minerality and soft body rounds out the wine. This Sauvignon Blanc was made to pair with food, yet is very versatile. Bottled using a Guala twist top in lieu of cork.
- Item #: i_229210Bottle Size: 750mlGalerie is a collection of wines devoted to showcasing two of California's foremost wine-growing regions - Napa Valley and Knights Valley. Winemaker Laura Diaz Mucoz brings these growing regions to life by vinifying the wines in the exactly the same way, allowing the natural difference in the fruit characteristics to express themselves in the glass.
This Sauvignon Blanc was fermented in stainless steel, new French oak, concrete egg, and neutral French oak for six months. The 2016 Naissance is a pale yellow wine with aromas of very ripe melon dew, juicy orange, lemon zest, plump pineapple, and Asian pear with an intense udnernote of fresh cut grass. The finish is long and full but with a crispy mouthfeel, lingering flavors, and acidity.
- Item #: i_274826Bottle Size: 750mlThis winery was born in an old tractor barn in Rutherford back in 1981. Starting with Sauvignon Blanc, and later adding Cabernet, they have quietly become a favorite, go-to house.
Winemaker Kristin Belair makes the Rutherford bottling (formerly labeled Reserve), with a respectful nod in the direction of Bordeaux in that it is blended with Semillon and Muscat, spends time in oak and is aged on the lees for 6 months. The result is an elegant, complex wine, with hints of grapefrukt, lemon zest, and appealing floral notes. The rich mid-palate is accented by toasty oak, and followed by a long, crisp, mineral finish.
- Item #: i_239580Bottle Size: 750mlThe only thing missing from this Sauvignon Blanc is the beach! Aromas of fresh pineapple and gardenia blossoms will surely take you in that direction. Juicy fruit is a continuing theme with apricot, honeydew melon and ruby grapefruit. A ripe entry is full on the palate with a bright, clean finish. Enjoy with a plate of freshly shucked oysters or a bucket of mussels in coconut broth while you sink your toes in the sand.
- Item #: i_266280Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 90James Suckling: 90JAMES SUCKLING 90 POINTS - "Green apples, limes and freshly squeezed lemons. Light to medium body, fresh acidity and a bright finish.'
WINE SPECTATOR 90 POINTS - "Lip-smacking and juicy, offering a sophisticated blend of pear, melon and citrus flavors, along with lemon verbena and fresh ginger details that linger on the smooth, clean, fresh finish."
- Item #: i_272270Bottle Size: 750MLWhitehall Lane is known for a Bordelaise style, fruit forward and crisp Sauvignon Blanc. On the nose, it evokes fresh Bartlett pears, white flowers, Golden Deliciouys apples, crushed limestone, lime zest, and a touch of brioche. Though crisp up front, the mid-palate offers a mediom-bodied texture to the wine. Its flavors include fresh melon, stewed pears, baked apple crumble, nectarines, toasted walnuts, and a hint of fresh croissant. The finish has a beautiful length with fresh acidity and subtle toasty notes.