Sauvignon Blanc is a green-skinned grape variety that originates from the Bordeaux region of France. The grape most likely gets its name from the French words sauvage ("wild") and blanc ("white") due to its early origins as an indigenous grape in South West France. Sauvignon Blanc is planted in many of the world's wine regions, producing a crisp, dry, and refreshing white varietal wine. The grape is also a component of the famous dessert wines from Sauternes and Barsac. Sauvignon Blanc is widely cultivated in France, Chile, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Washington and California. Some New World Sauvignon blancs, particularly from California, may also be called "Fume Blanc". Depending on the climate, the flavor can range from aggressively grassy to sweetly tropical. In cooler climates, the grape has a tendency to produce wines with noticeable acidity and "green flavors" of grass, green bell peppers and nettles with some tropical fruit (such as passion fruit) and floral (such as elderflower) notes. In warmer climates, it can develop more tropical fruit notes but risk losing a lot of aromatics from over-ripeness, leaving only slight grapefruit and tree fruit (such as peach) notes.
- Item #: i_201530Bottle Size: 750mlArrow and Branch proprietors (and Laguna Beach locals) Steve and Seanne Contursi share a great love for the wines of Bordeaux, particularly those produced with a large quantity of Cabernet Franc, such as Chateau Cheval Blanc. The couple sought out their Coombsville vineyard property with an eye to producing top-quality Cabernet Franc-based wines from Napa Valley. They bought the Arrow and Branch Vineyard in November 2007, as this vineyard was the source of Tony Soter's renowned and highly rated Little Creek Cabernet Franc. The Contursi's have maintained the organic farming and, through their work with the detail-oriented Viticulturalist Mike Wolf, are continually improving this wonderful vineyard site.
One of the rising stars of Napa Valley winemaking, Jennifer Williams, was named Winemaker for Arrow and Branch in April 2011. After years of working with and learning from legendary winemakers such as Rosemary Cakebread, Francoise Peschon, and the Novak family, Jennifer now brings her outstanding talents and experience to Arrow and Branch. In 2002, Williams joined Araujo and Spottswoode as a harvest intern, splitting her time between these two great winemaking estates. At Spottswoode, Jennifer was drawn to the philosophy of organic and sustainable farming, which Tony Soter had introduced in 1985. Following harvest, she joined their team full time, working under guru David Abreu in the fields and Rosemary Cakebread in the winery. In 2004, with a deeper understanding of the estate vineyard, she took over as Vineyard Manager and was Spottswoode's Winemaker from 2006 to 2011. The San Francisco Chronicle named Jennifer a "Winemaker to Watch" in 2007.
From their high elevation vineyard about 1300 feet atop Atlas Peak, this is their second vintage fully sourced from Stagecoach Vineyard. The cool evenings and temperate days make for ideal Sauvignon Blanc conditions. This vineyard produces fruit full in flavor while retaining a bright acidity that is signature of Arrow and Branch Sauvignon Blanc. Fermented in oak and stainless to preserve the freshness and lees aged to give the wine some roundness.
- Item #: i_208040Bottle Size: 750MLCADE is owned by the same owners as Plumpjack... and in their typical fashion, they would never be "happy enough" to make a "good" Sauvignon Blanc: CADE only wants to make outstanding Sauvignon Blanc! In order to do this, they ferment their grapes in a combination of stainless steel tanks, stainless steel drums, French oak and concrete eggs. In addition, a combination of native and cultured yeasts are used, and the culmination of all this helps to give the wine aromatic and textural complexity.
Fermentation was carried out in a combination of stainless steel tanks and drums (68%), new French oak barrels (10%), neutral French Oak barrels (22%), with the balance fermented in concrete eggs (1%). Twelve different strains of yeast were used to ferment the juice. CADE's 2018 Napa Valley Sauvignon Blanc has aromas of orange blossom, pineapple, grapefruit, lemon, lime, yellow apple, and stone fruits. On the palate are notes of tangerine, white peach, lychee, citrus, banana, lemon zest, and grapefruit. The wine has a vibrant acidity, minerality, and a touch of creaminess on the finish. By fermenting the wine in stainless steel, French oak, and concrete, we are building layers of complexity in the wine. The barrel fermentations add texture, density, and viscosity to the midpalate of the wine. The concrete adds a touch of flint and minerality to the finish as well as adding some mid-palate richness. The stainless steel fermentations preserve the natural Sauvignon Blanc aromatics and the vibrant acidity and crispness.
- Item #: i_208820Bottle Size: 750mlMade by highly-touted winemaker Julien Fayard, the grapes for thie Sauvignon Blanc come from a certified organic vineyard in the heart of the Napa Valley, and only 77 cases were produced! In the glass you'll notice its straw color with a golden tinge on the rim. The nose offers an instant waft of tropical fruit with Meyer lemon's perfume. Delicate floral aromas remind you of Spring time in the garden. On the palate the wine is expressive with a rich silkiness, a pure pleasure. A subtle spice from the small time of oak aging adds just the right mouth feel to this estate wine.
- Item #: i_216860Bottle Size: 375ml**Please note, this is a half sized bottle375ml - Delightfully rendered in a traditional California style, this inordinately generous wine combines oily vectors of guava, mango, papaya and persimmon with hints of Meyer lemon, kiwi, jasmine, honey and thyme. Unctuous without being cloying, it seems perfectly suitable to richer seafood preparations such as halibut, bass or swordfish. In terms of cheese, we would recommend a creamy havarti as a match made in heaven!
- Item #: i_223060Bottle Size: 750mlContinuing the legacy of the Wagner Family's other profound wine ventures such as Caymus, Belle Glos, and Conundrum, Jenny Wagner takes the reins of Emmolo Winery and is making a hit with these new releases! Her family has a long-standing history in Napa Valley beginning with her great-grandfather, Italian immigrant, Salvatore Emmolo, who planted grapevines and started a grapevine rootstock nursery in Rutherford in the 1920's. His son, and Jenny's grandfather, Frank Emmolo, ran Emmolo Nursery and built a strong following amongst Napa Valley grapegrowers - becoming the leading supplier to Napa Valley vintners for five decades.
Jenny Wagner believes the key to creating a truly unique expression of California Sauvignon Blanc begins in the vineyards. A variety of effective methods were taken to decrease crop production for higher quality wine, including bloom brushing, root pruning and deficit irrigation. The 2015 vintage had a mild growing season that was longer than usual, allowing for slow ripening and a long "hang time."
In Jenny Wagner's opinion, Sauvignon Blanc runs the risk of being overly herbaceous, overly oaked, or simply one-dimensional. She feels a good Sauvignon Blanc should have natural firm acidity, crisp fruit and bright minerality, like that of a wet stone - a style of Sauvignon Blanc that can be enjoyed on its own as an aperitif or paired with a wide variety of food. This is an elegant and refined style of Sauvignon Blanc that is subtle and balanced, with minerality and bright natural acidity. On the nose, aromas of citrus, iron, wet stone and a hint of D'Anjou pear tempt your senses, while a crisp lightness, balanced acidity and underlying notes of fleshy grapefruit and lime zest please the palate. The significant minerality and soft body rounds out the wine. This Sauvignon Blanc was made to pair with food, yet is very versatile. Bottled using a Guala twist top in lieu of cork.
- Item #: i_223730Bottle Size: 750mlThis brilliant green-straw colored wine is brimming with tropical freshness. The aroma is reminiscent of citrus fruits accompanied by notes of honeydew melon, white peach, green apple, kiwi and a hint of lemongrass. Flavors of citrus, melon and green apple mingle in perfect harmony. This wine has balanced fruit and brightness, refreshing acidity and a long, clean finish.
- Item #: i_229210Bottle Size: 750mlGalerie is a collection of wines devoted to showcasing two of California's foremost wine-growing regions - Napa Valley and Knights Valley. Winemaker Laura Diaz Mucoz brings these growing regions to life by vinifying the wines in the exactly the same way, allowing the natural difference in the fruit characteristics to express themselves in the glass.
This Sauvignon Blanc was fermented in stainless steel, new French oak, concrete egg, and neutral French oak for six months. The 2016 Naissance is a pale yellow wine with aromas of very ripe melon dew, juicy orange, lemon zest, plump pineapple, and Asian pear with an intense udnernote of fresh cut grass. The finish is long and full but with a crispy mouthfeel, lingering flavors, and acidity.
- Item #: i_226710Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 93It's not often that lightning strikes twice, but it has in this instance. Hot off the heels of their 94 point Cabernet Sauvignon that was featured on our very own "Top Cabernet" list comes another incredible wine from Tom Gamble!
Some people think that Sauvignon Blanc is just a warm-weather wine, but those of us in the industry (buyers, sommeliers, critics, etc.) will tell you that this wine is fantastic all year long, as it pairs beautifully with a wide variety of foods, and offers a refreshing citrus quality that sometimes Chardonnay just can't do. Last year's Sauvignon Blanc was one of our favorites, and Gamble Family has outdone themselves with the newly-released 2018 vintage. In fact, this wine ties for the 2nd highest scoring California Sauvignon Blanc reviewed by Wine Spectator in the last two years!!
This wine comes exclusively from the Gamble Family's vineyard in Yountville, and was aged in a combination of new oak, used oak, and stainless steel. The twelve-acre Gamble Vineyard sits at the northerly edge of the Yountville Appellation in the geographic center of Napa Valley. This superb site, framed by rugged mountains to the east and west and bound by two rivers, is warm enough to develop Sauvignon Blanc's tropical fruit flavors, yet cool enough to retain its natural fruit balance and crispness. The fruit is hand-harvested cold, in the early hours of the day, and taken directly to the press to preserve fruit and flavor integrity. The Gamble Family's winery and vineyards are certified Napa Green and certified by Fish Friendly Farming.
WINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS - "Offers intriguing, distinctive notes of candied ginger and marmalade, with a whiff of beeswax up front, leading to a mouthwatering, fresh mix of Asian pear, white grapefruit and peach flavors. Appealingly precise, with deft acidity imparting focus. Refreshing finish. Drink now through 2029. 1,900 cases made."
- Item #: i_226961Bottle Size: 750MLWine Enthusiast: 91 PointsOur guiding philosophy is quite simple: great wines always begin with exceptional fruit. Committed to natural winegrowing and sustainability, we farm our five estate vineyards without artificial fertilizers, pesticides or herbicides. They are all certified organic.
"WINE ENTHUSIAST 91 POINTS - "A grip of reduction on the nose in tones of flint and matchstick is consistent for the producer's style. On the palate are light-bodied layers of green olive, pineapple, peach and lemon, a contrasting set of fruit and savory elements that work seamlessly together."
- Item #: i_227380Bottle Size: 750MLGroth's 2018 Sauvignon Blanc was produced from grapes grown in various microclimates of the Napa Valley. The warmer Napa Valley microclimates gave them grapes that result in wines with a lush, full melon/citrus character in the aroma and in the flavor. The cooler Napa Valley fruit provides a solid, crisp backbone that gives the wine an exciting liveliness that balances the rich creaminess from "sur lie" aging.
- Item #: i_231135Bottle Size: 750MLBrilliant straw with a green tinge in color, this refreshing and vibrant Sauvignon Blanc is bursting with aromas of citrus blossom, lemon zest and fresh cut pineapple, underscored with a note of dried summer grass. Crisp acidity on the palate is complimented with notes of orange peel and minerality. The full bodied mid-palate, developed by lees stirring in tank, carries the fresh flavors through the lengthy finish.
- Item #: i_229800Bottle Size: 750mlThis Sauvignon Blanc from Heitz is produced entirely from organically grown grapes. Enchanting aromas of white peach and stone fruits are followed by crisp, refreshing citrus flavors on the palate. Nicely balanced with a lovely finish, this wine is a delightful aperitif and so versatile that it will pair with most of your favorite dishes, including (our personal favorite) freshly shucked oysters.
- Item #: i_274826Bottle Size: 750mlThis winery was born in an old tractor barn in Rutherford back in 1981. Starting with Sauvignon Blanc, and later adding Cabernet, they have quietly become a favorite, go-to house.
Winemaker Kristin Belair makes the Rutherford bottling (formerly labeled Reserve), with a respectful nod in the direction of Bordeaux in that it is blended with Semillon and Muscat, spends time in oak and is aged on the lees for 6 months. The result is an elegant, complex wine, with hints of grapefrukt, lemon zest, and appealing floral notes. The rich mid-palate is accented by toasty oak, and followed by a long, crisp, mineral finish.
- Item #: i_234020Bottle Size: 750MLThis 12-acre vineyard and winery is located in a small, yet highly-envied area in Napa Valley called Pickett Road. The residents wineries of the area include Kenefick Ranch, Hundred Acre, and Araujo…so you get the kind of grapes are grown here! Winemaker Rebecca George has done a fantastic job on these wines!
In addition to their estate vineyard, the winery also works with two other amazing vineyard sites. Kick Ranch is a hillside vineyard located on the western side of Spring Mountain, and is graced by the cool coastal fog of Sonoma County. This site provides the driving, minerally acidity and fresh citrus notes. The Aetna Springs vineyard in Pope Valley (a sub-AVA of Napa Valley), sees hotter summer days and contributes warmer characters like ripe stone fruit and tropical notes with a touch of spice.
Aged for 7 months in a combination of 50% stainless steel drums, 30% neutral French Oak, and 10% new oak, the 2018 Sauvignon Blanc is fresh, floral, and vibrant with crisp, minerally acidity. The nose brings forth an array of aromatics - lime zest, ripe stone fruits, jasmine blossom and subtle toasty oak spice. Abundant flavors of mandarin orange, white peach, and honeydew melon, come together with a subtle briny note that adds character and complexity to the wine. The palate is soft and coating on entry, yet has a wet-stone minerality that provides both tension and length to the citrusy profile of this wine.
- Item #: i_235070Bottle Size: 750MLComing from Tom Kenefick's property in the northern reaches of the Napa Valley, 2016 was ideal for whites. Early bud break and a pleasantly cool growing season allowed for a more open canopy to get the sun into the fruit zone. You'll notice the fine tropical notes aromatically, and the subtle citrus twist that permeates the palate and finish. The sur lees aging and barrel fermentation provide the creamy texture on the mid-palate.
- Item #: i_239580Bottle Size: 750mlThe only thing missing from this Sauvignon Blanc is the beach! Aromas of fresh pineapple and gardenia blossoms will surely take you in that direction. Juicy fruit is a continuing theme with apricot, honeydew melon and ruby grapefruit. A ripe entry is full on the palate with a bright, clean finish. Enjoy with a plate of freshly shucked oysters or a bucket of mussels in coconut broth while you sink your toes in the sand.
- Item #: i_249800Bottle Size: 750mlComing from Peju's sustainably-farmed Persehone Vineyard, this aromatic and crisp Sauvignon Blanc has a lovely nose of pineapple, white peach and orange blossom. The palate is bright with notes of apricot, tangerine and nectarine. Balanced with refreshing acidity, Peju's 2017 Sauvignon Blanc concludes with a fresh, clean finish.
- Item #: i_252110Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 90James Suckling: 91JAMES SUCKLING 91 POINTS - "A zesty and fresh style with lemon and grapefruit character. Medium body, bright acidity and a clean finish. Some phenolic tension to this."
WINE SPECTATOR 90 POINTS - "Lemon, peach and pear flavors are fresh and vibrant on a supple body, with spice, green tea and dried floral accents to the expressive finish."
- Item #: i_277660Bottle Size: 750mlAfter more than a decade of "visits" to the wine country to purchase hand crafted boutique wines, and to enjoy the spectacular scenery, Steve Nordhoff, and a group of close friends decided to start the journey of creating a wine project that reflects their passion, past experiences, and love for Napa and Sonoma. If you have ever been to the Napa, Steve's story needs very little explanation as most visitors catch "the fever" upon arrival. But with Steve's numerous years of collecting many of the wines produced around the world, his educated palate would be what sets his story apart; he has gained the knowledge of what separates truly world class wine, and what makes a nice wine. Steve wants world class! With the help of friends, and with his winemaker being Thomas Brown (who also makes the wine at Pulido-Walker, Maybach, Outpost, and Schrader), the Riverain wines are truly on their way to stun the wine world!
This is Riverain's third Sauvignon Blanc, from the Gamble Family Ranch in Yountville. This is all Preston Clone. The wine speaks for itself with a great nose and a beautiful structure laced with stone fruit characteristics of green apple, melon, apricot with a hint of lychees from the tropics. This wine has been mellowed by over 10 months in a combination neutral French oak barrels and stainless steel. Enjoy now before this limited supply is gone for good!
- Item #: i_243090Bottle Size: 750ml"Pithy, with grapefruit and lemon peel flavors, this wine is deceptively crisp and light on the nose, offering a wealth of body and lushness on the palate, accented with nutmeg and peach. It includes 4% Semillon, partly from the winery's beloved To Kalon vineyard."
- Item #: i_255150Bottle Size: 750mlThis wine is brilliant pale yellow with a bright green hue. It exudes aromas of key lime, mango, papaya and white nectarine with a hint of fresh-cut grass. The palate is fresh and enticing, as grapefruit, pineapple and passion fruit intertwine with Meyer lemon and lime, making the mouth water. Balanced yet lively acidity lingers on the palate inviting another taste. Boxwood on the finish gives the wine length and vibrant freshness.
- Item #: i_256300Bottle Size: 750mlThis bright and lusciously complex wine envelops the senses with an exquisite aromatic bouquet of acai, guava, and papaya supported by ripe nectarines, coconut, white peach, and delicate white flowers. A lively array of ripe pear, melon and stone fruits glide across the palate with delightful citrus-driven acidity balanced by soft, savory minerality. Vivacious tropical notes linger beautifully on the long, enduring, and playful finish.
- Item #: i_277019Bottle Size: 750mlPineapple, maybe lemon stands out on the nose. On the palette, unusually buttery for a sauvignon, making for a unique feel.