Merlot is a dark blue-colored wine grape variety, that is used as both a blending grape and for varietal wines. Its softness and "fleshiness", combined with its earlier ripening, makes Merlot a popular grape for blending with the sterner, later-ripening Cabernet Sauvignon, which tends to be higher in tannin. Along with Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, Malbec and Petit Verdot, Merlot is one of the primary grapes used in Bordeaux wine, and it is the most widely planted grape in the Bordeaux wine regions. While Merlot is made across the globe, there tends to be two main styles. The "International style" favored by many New World wine regions tends to emphasize late harvesting to gain physiological ripeness and produce inky, purple colored wines that are full in body with high alcohol and lush, velvety tannins with intense, plum and blackberry fruit. While this international style is practiced by many Bordeaux wine producers, the traditional "Bordeaux style" of Merlot involves harvesting Merlot earlier to maintain acidity and producing more medium-bodied wines with moderate alcohol levels that have fresh, red fruit flavors (raspberries, strawberries) and potentially leafy, vegetal notes.
- Item #: i_211250Bottle Size: 750mlMerlot excels at Ancient Peaks' estate Margarita Vineyard and has been a mainstay in their small family of wines since day one. Here, ancient sea bed soils combine with a long growing season to yield a Merlot with silky dark fruit flavors and a luscious texture, resulting in what has become one of the Paso Robles region’s most notable Merlots. Ancient Peaks blends fruit from three different Merlot blocks that exhibit a range of distinct qualities, bringing added natural complexity and dimension to the finished wine. These blocks are situated along the slopes of an uplifted ancient sea bed, where the well-drained, calcium-rich soils are distinguished by decomposing oyster fossils.
Ancient Peaks' aim is to capture the signature velvety fruit character of Merlot while showcasing the fine structure inherent to Margarita Vineyard. After destemming, the lots were cold soaked for 72 hours prior to fermentation for a gentle extraction of initial color and flavor. After fermentation and light pressing, the lots were aged for 20 months in a combination of French (70%) and American (30%) oak barrels, 25 percent of which featured new oak.
This Merlot delivers rich black and red fruit aromas with intriguing hints of cedar, mocha and eucalyptus. The palate is juicy and rounded, offering a flavor tapestry of black cherry, raspberry, vanilla and brown spice. Firm tannins and luscious acidity take this Merlot to the next level, finishing with a refined heft that is rooted in its Margarita Vineyard terroir.
- Item #: i_253710Bottle Size: 750MLInspired by the Apotheca, a mysterious place where wine was blended and stored in 13th century Europe, Apothic Red offers a truly unique wine experience. This masterful blend of flavorful Syrah, rich Zinfandel, and smooth Merlot reveals intense fruit aromas and flavors of blackberry and dark cherry layered with hints of mocha, chocolate and brown spice. The plush, velvety mouthfeel and smooth finish round out this intriguing, full-bodied red blend.
- Item #: i_201230Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 94ANTONIO GALLONI 94 POINTS - "Arietta's 2014 Merlot Hudson Vineyards is gorgeous. Surprisingly, it is also richer, deeper and more pedigreed than the Quartet and Cabernet Sauvignon in this vintage. Exquisitely layered and supple, the 2014 possesses striking depth to match its creamy, inviting personality. Layers of plum, black cherry and mocha built into the supple, inviting finish. Naturally, the 2014 is quite young. It can be enjoyed today, but readers who appreciate the complexity that develops only in bottle will have to be patient."
- Item #: i_206780Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 95+A blend of 92% Merlot and 8% Cabernet Franc.
ANTONIO GALLONI 95+ POINTS - "Blankiet's 2014 Rive Droite Paradise Hills Vineyard is just as impressive from bottle as it was from barrel. Dark, rich and inviting, the 2014 wraps around the palate with pure sensuality and class. Dark stone fruit, smoke, mocha and espresso are all fused together in a deep, beautifully layered wine. The 2014 is at once rich but not at all heavy. In many ways, it captures the very best the vintage has to offer."
- Item #: i_205840Bottle Size: 750MLWhat is Bonterra wine? It’s a family of bright, fresh and balanced varietals just as they’re meant to be. Our organic growing approach creates grapes that are pure, vibrant and intense in flavor. This provides our winemakers with the very best fruit from which to work. From there it is simply about delivering the best expression of that fruit from our vines to your glass.
- Item #: i_206075Bottle Size: 750mlVivid ruby in color, cherry, cassis, and succulent herbs on the fragrant nose are joined by a slowly building tobacco nuance. Plush and supple in texture, showing good depth to the lively bitter cherry and black currant flavors. A smoky note appears on the finish, which features velvety tannins and lingering dark berry character.
- Item #: i_202550Bottle Size: 750mlRipe fresh black fig and Santa Rosa plum aromatics introduce exuberant brambly notes of boysenberry and mixed berry flavors. Soft smoky, toasty nuances unfold as the wine remains open. A lingering, spiced plum chutney finish is backed by toasted oak notes.
- Item #: i_202520Bottle Size: 750mlA blend of 36% Cabernet Sauvignon, 15% Cabernet Franc, 15% Merlot, 14% Petit Verdot, 10% Malbec, and 10% Syrah, the 2015 Browne Family "Tribute" Red Blend explodes with aromatics of red roses, anis, cigar box and cream soda with flavors of black cherry and pomegranate. This full bodied wine is silky and vicious with lingering flavors of creme brule and toasted oak. This wine will pair with hearty meals of beef stew, Cioppino and meatloaf.
- Item #: i_208230Bottle Size: 750mlThis vintage comes from Cannonball's estate vineyard, Adam and Eve, in the Northern Russian River Valley, as well as some favorite vineyards in Sonoma Valley. Fermentation was controlled with a cold soak prior to yeast inoculation and draining and pressing at 2 Brix prior to seed tannin extraction. The 2014 is 91% Merlot blended with small amounts of Petite Sirah and Syrah for complexity.
The aroma of the wine shows fresh huckleberries, light brown spice and nuances of toasty oak. On the palate the wine is medium-full bodied with classic Bordeaux proportions, wonderful concentration, with flavors of cherry, rich chocolate and spiced cake. The wine finishes with perfectly balanced texture and flavor and a refreshing brightness. Enjoy with red meats, duck and pasta with rich sauces.
- Item #: i_210450Bottle Size: 750mlThis alluring expression of Merlot displays gorgeous aromas of black cherry, currant and ripe plum, underscored by sweet oak, smoke, savory herbs, anise and cedar. The lush red fruit notes are echoed on the rich, silky palate, where firm, mouthcoating tannins add definition and length, carrying the wine through to a lingering finish of ripe red berries and dark chocolate.
- Item #: i_276200Bottle Size: 750mlThis little devil is wrapped in a velvet robe. Full with density and bursting with flavor. Dark fruit, cherry, blackberry. Brimming with cedar, pipe tobacco and earth. Truth in a name: Velvet!
- Item #: i_257570Bottle Size: 750mlCold Creek’s 40-year-old vines deliver a big, bold, brooding Merlot. This rich Merlot is loaded with plum, cherry and dark fruit flavors with hints of dark chocolate and coffee. This is our most intense and concentrated Merlot with great ageability.
- Item #: i_212350Bottle Size: 750mlWINERY NOTES - "Our 2016 Mitsuko's Vineyard Merlot is a rich and complex wine with expressive blackberry, Cassis, crushed red fruits and plum aromas, underlain by more earthy tones of fresh pipe tobacco, anise, cinnamon spice and plums. On the palate the wine is powerful and complex, displaying layer upon layer of flavors, that start with dark fruits such as plum, blackcurrants and ripe cherries and move into more subtle notes, of herbes de Provence, spice box and fresh cut tobacco leaf. The tannins are generous for a Merlot and drive the finish with substantial mid-palate volume and a persistent and intensely pleasurable flavor."
- Item #: i_212760Bottle Size: 750mlThe growing season was long and cool, allowing the grapes to hang on the vine and mature longer. As a result, this Merlot exhibits exceptional concentration and a beautiful, lengthy finish. To enrich the color, small amounts of Syrah and Petite Sirah are blended in. Then, the wine is aged in small French oak barrels, which lend lovely notes of sweet vanilla to this elegant, full-bodied Merlot.
- Item #: i_215470Bottle Size: 750mlA blend of 65% Merlot, 30% Cabernet Franc, and 5% Petit Verdot.
ANTONIO GALLONI 91-94 POINTS - "The 2016 Merlot Cuvee 37.2 may turn out to be even better than 2015. Dark and sumptuous in the glass, the 2016 exudes richness in all of its dimensions. The tannin needs to soften a bit more, but otherwise, the 2016 is shaping up to be fabulous."
- Item #: i_216760Bottle Size: 750mlNot to take away from any of the other wines, but this is the wine that really stood out for several of us. And why not? They’ve been at the forefront of Merlot for decades! Ruby/garnet in color, this is a luscious and forward Merlot with a touch of Cabernet blended in, displaying aromas and flavors of black cherry, loganberry, blueberry, plum and cinnamon spice. A knockout for the price, the wine finishes with velvety tannins, excellent purity, and a lip-smacking finish!
- Item #: i_215500Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 90This full-bodied, rounded, textured, and layered effort with 60% Merlot from the Vogelzang Vineyard and 40% Cabernet Sauvignon from Dierberg Star Lane Vineyard (both in Happy Canyon of Santa Barbara AVA) offers loads of black currant, plum skin, graphite, and loamy earth-like aromas and spice. There's an approachable, plush palate presence, and yet built with a rustic edge and plenty of structure. Aged for 22 months in 100% French oak barrels, 40% new.
- Item #: i_216660Bottle Size: 750mlThe 2015 vintage displays lively spices and ripe berry nuances. Aromas of red cherry, dried flowers and bay leaf fill the senses. The palate is full of wonderful fruity complexity, combining a mixture of raspberry, black cherry and red cherry. Undertones of toasty notes and dark chocolate come forward, with silky and smooth tannins. This beautiful wine has excellent structure and balance with a lush and rounded quality that lingers sip after sip. Aging potential: 6-8 years.
- Item #: i_276160Bottle Size: 750mlThe latest wine from Roots Run Deep Winery, Educated Guess Napa Valley Merlot comes from top vineyards in Yountville and Oak Knoll. A significant portion of this wine was barrel fermented which adds great texture, complexity, and weight to the wine. Flavors of dark plum, wild berries, cassis and chocolate are well integrated with French oak. If you enjoy their Cabernet Sauvignon, you are going to love their Merlot!