- Item #: i_301305Bottle Size: 750MLJames Suckling: 91JAMES SUCKLING 91 POINTS
90% Sangiovese, 10% Merlot and Syrah - The wine is ruby red in color with aromas of ripe red fruit and well amalgamated notes of vanilla and coffee. The palate enjoys a notable support from the acidity, which maintains a pleasurable freshness and persistence of flavor along with soft and sweet tannins which guarantee excellent drinkability.
- Item #: i_301177Bottle Size: 750ml'Bricco Blina' is the name of the vineyard. This wine is a direct, straightforward rendition of the Barbera grape. Fresh acidity and berry flavors are the hallmarks of Barbera, but low yields and old vines give this wine very good depth and concentration, too. Fermentation and aging are completed in stainless steel.
The wine is a bright red color with a violet rim; aroma of red berries and mineral; palate is classic Barbera, bright raspberry/cranberry flavors with a very long finish. A classic that is wonderful with a variey of foods. Pizza, pasta, meats, cheeses...
- Item #: i_302567Bottle Size: 750mlWINERY NOTES - The grapes used to make “ Il Favot” come from vineyards which have undergone periodical implantations, and so have a maximum age of 15 years. The skin contact is limited to 6-8 days so to extract few tannins and more colour from the skins themselves, with the result of getting a well-coloured wine with a remarkable softness.
- Item #: i_301690Bottle Size: 750mlWhen sipping Aldo Conterno's Barbera one word that comes to mind is delicious. Inky purple in the glass and silky smooth on the palate, this wine is deeply tasty, very complex and thoroughly enjoyable. On the palate it is concentrated and full-bodied. Promiment flavours are blackberries, savoury spice and nutmeg blended with ripe plums and supple tannis. Long, elegant finish.
- Item #: i_301289Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 90WINE SPECTATOR 90 POINTS - Intense aromas and flavors of cherry, blueberry, graphite and spice mark this solid red. Dense without being overly tannic, with a balanced finish. Sangiovese, Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot.
- Item #: i_301319Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 92James Suckling: 92WINE SPECTATOR 92 POINTS - "This rich, vibrant red is packed with plum, black cherry and wild thyme flavors, with well-integrated tannins. Flashes of earth, leather and iron segue into the long, fruit-filled aftertaste."
JAMES SUCKLING 92 POINTS - "A soft and delicious merlot with berry, meat and walnut aromas. Hints of chocolate. Medium body, fine tannins and a delicious, juicy finish."
The nose of the wine shows intense notes of plum, cherry, and raspberry in addition to wild berry fruits and spices. The palate is distinguished by its roundness and amplitude. On the palate it has great depth and is characterized by a long finish and an aftertaste bursting with fruit. A very serious Merlot!!!
- Item #: i_301591Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 100James Suckling: 100JAMES SUCKLING 100 POINTS - "Speechless here. I thought the 2015 was already perfect but this is perfect, too. But in a different way. It is so structured and multidimensional. Full-bodied, powerful and intense with incredible tannin backbone and depth. The dark-berry, wet-earth, oyster-shell and mushroom flavors are phenomenal. 20% less production than 2015. Give it four or five years to come together. Try after 2025."
WINE ADVOCATE 100 POINTS - "I fussed over scoring this wine more than I'd like to admit—tasting through three samples under different conditions at various intervals and testing my impressions blind against wines in its peer group. Most importantly, I tasted this 2016 vintage against the 2015 vintage over and over again. I confess to a few nights of restless sleep as a result. Ultimately, my decision to award 100 points to the 2016 Solaia came on impulse and with the most natural sense of purpose. I had also given the 2015 vintage a perfect score, and intellectually, it seemed impossible not to pick a favorite among these two stunning expressions. I will also state, outright, that the wines are very different, principally because the 2015 vintage shows more overall opulence and sweetness that extends to the pronounced textural richness of the mouthfeel. The 2016 vintage, on the other hand, is more chiseled and sharp with mineral shadings of campfire ash and graphite at the rim of its dark fruit. The mouthfeel is more streamlined and tight at its core, suggesting that the wine will unfold and soften beautifully with time. I feel like 2015 is the Dolce & Gabbana of the situation and the 2016 is the Armani Privé. The personalities of the two wines are distinct, yet my admiration for each is identical."
ANTONIO GALLONI; VINOUS 99 POINTS - "Like Tignanello, the 2016 Solaia is a wine of extraordinary nuance and finesse. Super-ripe blackberry, plum jam, espresso, menthol, licorice and sweet spice build as the sublime 2016 shows off its personality and breeding. The 2016 somehow manages to be incredibly deep and also light on its feet. Sweet floral and spice notes add the closing shades of nuance to an exotic, beguilingly beautiful Solaia endowed with an eternal finish and mind-blowing beauty. The 2016 is an epic Solaia. That's all there is to it."
- Item #: i_301022Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94Wine Spectator: 94Vinous Media: 95 PointsJames Suckling: 96Decanter: 95 PointsWINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS - "Badia a Passignano is one of the last vineyards to mature and one of the first to start, so it always has a very long growing cycle. The spring began with good weather with budbreak coming about ten days early, followed by a cool, early summer and a hot August. The Sangiovese-based 2016 Chianti Classico Gran Selezione Badia a Passignano shows some real ripeness on the close with more red and purple fruit rather than black fruit characteristics. This is a very traditional expression of the Tuscan grape and the least international of Marchesi Antinori's offerings. It's the kind of classic Sangiovese that belongs on the table next to a pappardelle with your favorite ragù."
JAMES SUCKLING 96 POINTS - "This is a wonderful pure sangiovese with wet earth, mushrooms, pine and cedar with black cherries. Full body. Dense and layered with ripe tannins, yet there’s vivid and energetic acidity. It drives to the end and pulls you in. Top stuff. Drink or hold."
DECANTER 95 POINTS AND WINE SPECTATOR 94 POINTS
- Item #: i_302916Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95James Suckling: 98JAMES SUCKLING 98 POINTS - "Very complex aromas of fresh flowers, blackberries and black licorice follow through to a full body, integrated tannins and a long and linear finish. Focused and racy. The tannins are so polished. Better in 2022, but already such a joy to try."
WINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS - "A blend of Cabernet Sauvignon (50%), Petit Verdot (25%), Merlot (20%) and Sangiovese (5%), the 2016 Solengo is a terrific wine and I enjoyed my sample down to the very last drop that I coaxed from the bottle with happy enthusiasm. This is a full-bodied red (but not in an exaggerated manner) with plump and fruit-forward aromas of dark cherry, blackberry, plum, spice and sweet tobacco. The wine is balanced with excellent depth and mouthfeel momentum. I highly recommend this wine from both the 2015 and 2016 vintages, which are both terrific. Some 25,000 bottles were made. Drink through 2035."
- Item #: i_305605Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93ORGANICALLY FARMED
WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "Showing beautiful results in an excellent vintage, the 2016 Chianti Classico Riserva is a graceful and elegantly tempered red wine. It makes good on all the basic promises of traditional Sangiovese: the complexity and elegance of the grape and that fresh acidity. It opens to a mid-weight style, making this a perfect wine for roast chicken and roast potatoes. Pretty mineral notes appear on the close, and the tannin is beautifully integrated."
- Item #: i_305716Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93Wine Spectator: 93James Suckling: 9380% Sangiovese, 15% Merlot, 5% Cabernet Sauvignon
WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "The 2016 Chianti Classico Riserva Brolio is a terrific wine that lives up to our expectations of a Riserva, while maintaining that playful informality that you don't get in the estate's more contemplative Gran Selezione. Indeed, the Riserva category of Chianti Classico has been largely overlooked ever since Gran Selezione came onto the scene some seven years ago, thus knocking Riserva off the top of the quality pyramid. This wine reminds you why you should take a closer look at Riserva. The bright aromas of dark cherry, spice and tilled earth are fresh and cheerful and are exactly why we are attracted to Chianti Classico in the first place. The blend here is 80% Sangiovese, 15% Merlot and 5% Cabernet Sauvignon, aged in new and used tonneaux for 18 months. The mouthfeel is slender and fresh, making this a perfect wine for slices of steak, or tagliata, with porcini mushrooms. "
WINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS - "n expression of fresh cherry greets the nose in this taut red, yet this remains austere on the palate, with fruit, iron, earth and oak spice flavors bound up in a grip of tannins. Everything is in the right place, but this needs time. Sangiovese, Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon. Best from 2022 through 2042. "
JAMES SUCKLING 93 POINTS - "This is a fantastic Chianti Classico Riserva that displays blackcurrants, dark plums, redder plums, tulips and cedar. Medium to full body, some really restrained and attractive tannins and a tangy finish. Drink now."
- Item #: i_380054Bottle Size: 750MLJames Suckling: 9390% Sangiovese, 5% Merlot, 5% Canaiolo
JAMES SUCKLING 93 POINTS - "This is a fantastic Chianti Classico Riserva that displays blackcurrants, dark plums, redder plums, tulips and cedar. Medium to full body, some really restrained and attractive tannins and a tangy finish."
- Item #: i_303557Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94WINE ADVOCATE 94+ POINTS - " This blend of mostly Chardonnay and Sauvignon Blanc, with a touch of Picolit, was bottled in July 2017. Once again, Bastianich offers us some wonderful candied fruit notes along with some tart lemon soda in the 2016 Vespa Bianco. The wine shines with bright intensity and possesses remarkable balance. There is a nice creaminess to the texture, and it has inner firmness and tightness that bodes well for the way the wine will evolve over the next few years. This is a beautiful blend."
Joe Bastianich may be from New York, but he is building quite a reputation locally with his La Mozza restaurants in LA and Newport Beach. Depending on who you ask, Joseph (Joe) Bastianich may be from New York, but he is building quite a reputation locally with his La Mozza restaurants in LA and Newport Beach. Depending on whom you ask, Joseph Bastianich is known as a winery owner in Fruili, author on one of the best books on Italian wines (Vino Italiano), one of the celebrity judges on Top Chef, or simply "Lidia’s son." Joe is one of the most accomplished and diversely talented wine personalities in America. His Vespa Bianco has a seductive richness reminiscent of Meursault’s “honey on toast” with layers of brightness, minerality, and floral touches weaving throughout.
- Item #: i_305321Bottle Size: 750ml80% Nerello Mascalese, 20% Nerello Cappuccio
Benanti is a Hi-Time staple winery, which owes a lot to their minimal-interventionist style, which focuses on an honest expression of the Nerello grapes in this unique terrain.
WINE ENTHUSIAST - "Truffle, crushed mint and red berry aromas mingle with a whiff of wild rose. The aromas carry through to the...racy palate along with white pepper and a citrus note. A hint of oyster shell gives it a tangy finish."
- Item #: i_305065Bottle Size: 750mlORGANICALLY GROWN GRAPES
Founded in 1865, Bibbiano is located in the historic Chianti region, in the municipality of Castellina in Chianti, overlooking the Elsa Valley towards the castle of Monteriggioni. Today’s owners, Tommaso and Federico Marrocchesi Marzi, are the fifth generation.
Surrounded by vast olive groves consisting of over three thousand trees, Bibbiano’s vineyards cover an area of about 25 hectares, at an altitude ranging from 270 to 300 meters, with enviable exposure and excellent microclimate. The vineyards consist of plants of Sangiovese and Sangiovese Grosso grapes as well as a smaller quantity of Colorino.
- Item #: i_301755Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96James Suckling: 98JAMES SUCKLING 98 POINTS - "A very beautiful and thoughtful Testamatta with aromas of earth, terra cotta, black tea, and lavender. Full-bodied, very layered and extremely polished with superb, soft tannins. Racy and very long. Muscular and formed but very, very balanced. Gorgeous richness and depth. Shows balance and wonder. Try in 2020."
WINE ADVOCATE 96 POINTS
Bibi Graetz, a respected artist born of Italian and Norwegian parents, started Testmatta (meaning “hot head” in Italian) in the late 90’s just outside of Florence in the renaissance town of Fiesole. At the time his family was faced with losing the lease contracts on some untended old Sangiovese vines that surround his home at the Castello de Vincigliata, or to take the time to recover the vineyard and produce wines. Naturally Bibi saw an artistic opportunity, and chose to begin production with his first vintage in 2000.
Bibi is known for his artwork throughout Europe, and each label is adorned with his personal work.
Testamatta Toscana is his Super Tuscan offering, though breaking a bit with new tradition for Super Tuscans, this wine is 100% Sangiovese. Bibi wanted to see what could be done with Sangiovese with judicious use of new French oak, and the result is the creation of a cult classic. Bibi’s Testamatta Toscana IGT will lay down for quite some time.
- Item #: i_305061Bottle Size: 750mlCimixa is the name of an ancient grape variety from the Ligurian Coast of Northwest Italy near the town of Genova. More commonly called Scimiscia, this is a grape variety of unique character and history.
Bisson uses the ancient dialect to identify this wonderful white wine. A rich style white wine, still with an edge of acidity, shows off citrus and white fruit characteristics as well as nuts, specifically pecan.
- Item #: i_303208Bottle Size: EACHJames Suckling: 93Red wine with a bouquet of red fruits, spices, vanilla and licorice, with great body, structure and smoothness, soft and elegant.
- Item #: i_301229Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 91James Suckling: 91JAMES SUCKLING 91 POINTS - "Shows blackberries, balsamic and plenty of cloves, vanilla and roasted herbs. Full body, chewy tannins and a succulent finish."
We are excited to share our bounty of beautiful Barbera wines from Braida. This winery was founded over fifty years ago in Piedmont by Giacomo Bologna who realized the inherent potential of the Barbera grape. Up to that point, others were content to produce simple table wines, which lacked complexity or ageability. Controlling yields in the vineyard and employing strict winemaking practices in the cellar greatly improved the quality of the wine. Giacomo also began using French barriques to age his wine, which was a practice unknown at that time among Barbera winemakers.
Today, the third generation of the family continues their pursuit of elevating the Barbera grape to the status of noble grapes, which is normally reserved for other international varieties. Their efforts have paid off and are apparent in every sip you take. These are fantastic wines of purity and depth.
With strict attention to detail, Braida produces exceptional wines. The Bricco Dell'Uccellone and Ai Suma bottlings are serious wines, which demonstrate the heights which the Barbera grape can attain. The quality is outstanding with a textural mouth feel which is polished from start to finish.
- Item #: i_301402Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 9180% Sangiovese with 20% Cabernet Sauvignon & Merlot
WINE SPECTATOR 91 POINTS - "A dense matrix supports black cherry, iron, earth, tobacco and coffee flavors in this beefy red. Tips toward the tannins in the end, but stays in line. "
TRE ("three") stands for the three grape varieties Sangiovese, Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon and for Brancaia's three Tuscan estates - the basis for this wine.
- Item #: i_302821Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94+WINE ADVOCATE 94+ POINTS - "The Bruno Rocca 2016 Barbaresco is a gorgeous wine that reveals impeccable balance, ongoing intensity and elegance, which accompany the wine from the start and continue straight through its long finish. The mouthfeel is buoyant and bright, yet there is a solid base of firm fruit and tannic backbone on the close. This is a buttoned-up and firmly etched expression of Nebbiolo from one of the most talented producers in Barbaresco. Great job, Bruno."
- Item #: i_305502Bottle Size: 750mlJames Suckling: 94JAMES SUCKLING 94 POINTS - "Dried-strawberry and watermelon aromas follow through to a medium to full body, firm and polished tannins and a flavorful finish. Shows focus and intensity. Drink after 2021."
- Item #: i_381754Bottle Size: 750mlA beautiful, impeccably balanced wine. There is lovely transparency and elegance to the fruit in an expression of Sangiovese that offers gorgeous roundness in a mid-weight, elegant style. The finish is long, soft and caressing. Even better, this is an outstanding value!