- Item #: i_301305Bottle Size: 750MLJames Suckling: 91JAMES SUCKLING 91 POINTS
90% Sangiovese, 10% Merlot and Syrah - The wine is ruby red in color with aromas of ripe red fruit and well amalgamated notes of vanilla and coffee. The palate enjoys a notable support from the acidity, which maintains a pleasurable freshness and persistence of flavor along with soft and sweet tannins which guarantee excellent drinkability.
- Item #: i_301177Bottle Size: 750ml'Bricco Blina' is the name of the vineyard. This wine is a direct, straightforward rendition of the Barbera grape. Fresh acidity and berry flavors are the hallmarks of Barbera, but low yields and old vines give this wine very good depth and concentration, too. Fermentation and aging are completed in stainless steel.
The wine is a bright red color with a violet rim; aroma of red berries and mineral; palate is classic Barbera, bright raspberry/cranberry flavors with a very long finish. A classic that is wonderful with a variey of foods. Pizza, pasta, meats, cheeses...
- Item #: i_302567Bottle Size: 750mlWINERY NOTES - The grapes used to make “ Il Favot” come from vineyards which have undergone periodical implantations, and so have a maximum age of 15 years. The skin contact is limited to 6-8 days so to extract few tannins and more colour from the skins themselves, with the result of getting a well-coloured wine with a remarkable softness.
- Item #: i_301690Bottle Size: 750mlWhen sipping Aldo Conterno's Barbera one word that comes to mind is delicious. Inky purple in the glass and silky smooth on the palate, this wine is deeply tasty, very complex and thoroughly enjoyable. On the palate it is concentrated and full-bodied. Promiment flavours are blackberries, savoury spice and nutmeg blended with ripe plums and supple tannis. Long, elegant finish.
- Item #: i_301289Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 90WINE SPECTATOR 90 POINTS - Intense aromas and flavors of cherry, blueberry, graphite and spice mark this solid red. Dense without being overly tannic, with a balanced finish. Sangiovese, Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot.
- Item #: i_301319Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 92James Suckling: 92WINE SPECTATOR 92 POINTS - "This rich, vibrant red is packed with plum, black cherry and wild thyme flavors, with well-integrated tannins. Flashes of earth, leather and iron segue into the long, fruit-filled aftertaste."
JAMES SUCKLING 92 POINTS - "A soft and delicious merlot with berry, meat and walnut aromas. Hints of chocolate. Medium body, fine tannins and a delicious, juicy finish."
The nose of the wine shows intense notes of plum, cherry, and raspberry in addition to wild berry fruits and spices. The palate is distinguished by its roundness and amplitude. On the palate it has great depth and is characterized by a long finish and an aftertaste bursting with fruit. A very serious Merlot!!!
- Item #: i_301591Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 100James Suckling: 100JAMES SUCKLING 100 POINTS - "Speechless here. I thought the 2015 was already perfect but this is perfect, too. But in a different way. It is so structured and multidimensional. Full-bodied, powerful and intense with incredible tannin backbone and depth. The dark-berry, wet-earth, oyster-shell and mushroom flavors are phenomenal. 20% less production than 2015. Give it four or five years to come together. Try after 2025."
WINE ADVOCATE 100 POINTS - "I fussed over scoring this wine more than I'd like to admit—tasting through three samples under different conditions at various intervals and testing my impressions blind against wines in its peer group. Most importantly, I tasted this 2016 vintage against the 2015 vintage over and over again. I confess to a few nights of restless sleep as a result. Ultimately, my decision to award 100 points to the 2016 Solaia came on impulse and with the most natural sense of purpose. I had also given the 2015 vintage a perfect score, and intellectually, it seemed impossible not to pick a favorite among these two stunning expressions. I will also state, outright, that the wines are very different, principally because the 2015 vintage shows more overall opulence and sweetness that extends to the pronounced textural richness of the mouthfeel. The 2016 vintage, on the other hand, is more chiseled and sharp with mineral shadings of campfire ash and graphite at the rim of its dark fruit. The mouthfeel is more streamlined and tight at its core, suggesting that the wine will unfold and soften beautifully with time. I feel like 2015 is the Dolce & Gabbana of the situation and the 2016 is the Armani Privé. The personalities of the two wines are distinct, yet my admiration for each is identical."
ANTONIO GALLONI; VINOUS 99 POINTS - "Like Tignanello, the 2016 Solaia is a wine of extraordinary nuance and finesse. Super-ripe blackberry, plum jam, espresso, menthol, licorice and sweet spice build as the sublime 2016 shows off its personality and breeding. The 2016 somehow manages to be incredibly deep and also light on its feet. Sweet floral and spice notes add the closing shades of nuance to an exotic, beguilingly beautiful Solaia endowed with an eternal finish and mind-blowing beauty. The 2016 is an epic Solaia. That's all there is to it."
- Item #: i_305878Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 97Just in this week, the 2016 Tignanello from the Antinori family is a wonderful follow-up to the previous vintage! This is one of the wines that launched the famous "Super-Tuscan" movement by pairing Sangiovese with Cabernets Sauvignon and Franc and aging in smaller French oak barrels, making Italian wines that could go head-to-head with the greats of Bordeaux and Napa Valley. Seeing the previous vintage sell out quickly, we think it's only fair to alert you now: The 2016 version is once again poised to be an international hit!
This is such a polished wine, already so enjoyable! There are elegant aromas of concentrated, ripe dark fruits (like blackberry and black cherry compote) interwoven with subtle earthy balsam and fresh herbal hints. The palate walks a thin line between baked and fresh fruit, with the gently herbal & savory counterpoints creating flavor balance. The French oak is finely integrated already, adding to an appetizing chewiness along with a layer of dark cocoa and a brooding hint of charred fruit on the finish. This is such a drinkable wine already thanks to the velvet texture and seamless integration of all its components; it's one of those wines that's deceiving in its complexity, pulling it off so effortlessly. What's more, the complexity will only grow as the ample fruit peels back over the years!
WINE ADVOCATE 97 POINTS - "To hit the market in June, the 2016 Tignanello is a rock-solid wine and a stunning beauty. The wine offers an impeccable level of precision and laser-focus delivery of fruits, spices, tilled earth, espresso beans and Mediterranean herbs. This vintage follows the classic blending formula of 80% Sangiovese with about 13% Cabernet Sauvignon and 7% Cabernet Franc. The vines are now 15 to 20 years old. Compared to the 2015 vintage that ultimately appeared more chewy and succulent, this expression from the iconic 2016 vintage is more vibrant, nervous and jazzed. It shows more savory spice, saltiness and minerality, with a beautifully integrated quality of tannins. Some 320,000 bottles were produced. This wine is at the top of the list of some of the best Tignanello ever made, including the vintages 2007, 2009, 2010, 2013 and 2015."
- Item #: i_302916Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95James Suckling: 98JAMES SUCKLING 98 POINTS - "Very complex aromas of fresh flowers, blackberries and black licorice follow through to a full body, integrated tannins and a long and linear finish. Focused and racy. The tannins are so polished. Better in 2022, but already such a joy to try."
WINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS - "A blend of Cabernet Sauvignon (50%), Petit Verdot (25%), Merlot (20%) and Sangiovese (5%), the 2016 Solengo is a terrific wine and I enjoyed my sample down to the very last drop that I coaxed from the bottle with happy enthusiasm. This is a full-bodied red (but not in an exaggerated manner) with plump and fruit-forward aromas of dark cherry, blackberry, plum, spice and sweet tobacco. The wine is balanced with excellent depth and mouthfeel momentum. I highly recommend this wine from both the 2015 and 2016 vintages, which are both terrific. Some 25,000 bottles were made. Drink through 2035."
- Item #: i_305605Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93ORGANICALLY FARMED
WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "Showing beautiful results in an excellent vintage, the 2016 Chianti Classico Riserva is a graceful and elegantly tempered red wine. It makes good on all the basic promises of traditional Sangiovese: the complexity and elegance of the grape and that fresh acidity. It opens to a mid-weight style, making this a perfect wine for roast chicken and roast potatoes. Pretty mineral notes appear on the close, and the tannin is beautifully integrated."
- Item #: i_305716Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93Wine Spectator: 93James Suckling: 9380% Sangiovese, 15% Merlot, 5% Cabernet Sauvignon
WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "The 2016 Chianti Classico Riserva Brolio is a terrific wine that lives up to our expectations of a Riserva, while maintaining that playful informality that you don't get in the estate's more contemplative Gran Selezione. Indeed, the Riserva category of Chianti Classico has been largely overlooked ever since Gran Selezione came onto the scene some seven years ago, thus knocking Riserva off the top of the quality pyramid. This wine reminds you why you should take a closer look at Riserva. The bright aromas of dark cherry, spice and tilled earth are fresh and cheerful and are exactly why we are attracted to Chianti Classico in the first place. The blend here is 80% Sangiovese, 15% Merlot and 5% Cabernet Sauvignon, aged in new and used tonneaux for 18 months. The mouthfeel is slender and fresh, making this a perfect wine for slices of steak, or tagliata, with porcini mushrooms. "
WINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS - "n expression of fresh cherry greets the nose in this taut red, yet this remains austere on the palate, with fruit, iron, earth and oak spice flavors bound up in a grip of tannins. Everything is in the right place, but this needs time. Sangiovese, Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon. Best from 2022 through 2042. "
JAMES SUCKLING 93 POINTS - "This is a fantastic Chianti Classico Riserva that displays blackcurrants, dark plums, redder plums, tulips and cedar. Medium to full body, some really restrained and attractive tannins and a tangy finish. Drink now."
- Item #: i_380054Bottle Size: 750MLJames Suckling: 9390% Sangiovese, 5% Merlot, 5% Canaiolo
JAMES SUCKLING 93 POINTS - "This is a fantastic Chianti Classico Riserva that displays blackcurrants, dark plums, redder plums, tulips and cedar. Medium to full body, some really restrained and attractive tannins and a tangy finish."
- Item #: i_305321Bottle Size: 750ml80% Nerello Mascalese, 20% Nerello Cappuccio
Benanti is a Hi-Time staple winery, which owes a lot to their minimal-interventionist style, which focuses on an honest expression of the Nerello grapes in this unique terrain.
WINE ENTHUSIAST - "Truffle, crushed mint and red berry aromas mingle with a whiff of wild rose. The aromas carry through to the...racy palate along with white pepper and a citrus note. A hint of oyster shell gives it a tangy finish."
- Item #: i_301755Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96James Suckling: 98JAMES SUCKLING 98 POINTS - "A very beautiful and thoughtful Testamatta with aromas of earth, terra cotta, black tea, and lavender. Full-bodied, very layered and extremely polished with superb, soft tannins. Racy and very long. Muscular and formed but very, very balanced. Gorgeous richness and depth. Shows balance and wonder. Try in 2020."
WINE ADVOCATE 96 POINTS
Bibi Graetz, a respected artist born of Italian and Norwegian parents, started Testmatta (meaning “hot head” in Italian) in the late 90’s just outside of Florence in the renaissance town of Fiesole. At the time his family was faced with losing the lease contracts on some untended old Sangiovese vines that surround his home at the Castello de Vincigliata, or to take the time to recover the vineyard and produce wines. Naturally Bibi saw an artistic opportunity, and chose to begin production with his first vintage in 2000.
Bibi is known for his artwork throughout Europe, and each label is adorned with his personal work.
Testamatta Toscana is his Super Tuscan offering, though breaking a bit with new tradition for Super Tuscans, this wine is 100% Sangiovese. Bibi wanted to see what could be done with Sangiovese with judicious use of new French oak, and the result is the creation of a cult classic. Bibi’s Testamatta Toscana IGT will lay down for quite some time.
- Item #: i_305061Bottle Size: 750mlCimixa is the name of an ancient grape variety from the Ligurian Coast of Northwest Italy near the town of Genova. More commonly called Scimiscia, this is a grape variety of unique character and history.
Bisson uses the ancient dialect to identify this wonderful white wine. A rich style white wine, still with an edge of acidity, shows off citrus and white fruit characteristics as well as nuts, specifically pecan.
- Item #: i_303208Bottle Size: EACHJames Suckling: 93Red wine with a bouquet of red fruits, spices, vanilla and licorice, with great body, structure and smoothness, soft and elegant.
- Item #: i_301229Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 91James Suckling: 91JAMES SUCKLING 91 POINTS - "Shows blackberries, balsamic and plenty of cloves, vanilla and roasted herbs. Full body, chewy tannins and a succulent finish."
We are excited to share our bounty of beautiful Barbera wines from Braida. This winery was founded over fifty years ago in Piedmont by Giacomo Bologna who realized the inherent potential of the Barbera grape. Up to that point, others were content to produce simple table wines, which lacked complexity or ageability. Controlling yields in the vineyard and employing strict winemaking practices in the cellar greatly improved the quality of the wine. Giacomo also began using French barriques to age his wine, which was a practice unknown at that time among Barbera winemakers.
Today, the third generation of the family continues their pursuit of elevating the Barbera grape to the status of noble grapes, which is normally reserved for other international varieties. Their efforts have paid off and are apparent in every sip you take. These are fantastic wines of purity and depth.
With strict attention to detail, Braida produces exceptional wines. The Bricco Dell'Uccellone and Ai Suma bottlings are serious wines, which demonstrate the heights which the Barbera grape can attain. The quality is outstanding with a textural mouth feel which is polished from start to finish.
- Item #: i_301402Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 9180% Sangiovese with 20% Cabernet Sauvignon & Merlot
WINE SPECTATOR 91 POINTS - "A dense matrix supports black cherry, iron, earth, tobacco and coffee flavors in this beefy red. Tips toward the tannins in the end, but stays in line. "
TRE ("three") stands for the three grape varieties Sangiovese, Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon and for Brancaia's three Tuscan estates - the basis for this wine.
- Item #: i_305502Bottle Size: 750mlJames Suckling: 94JAMES SUCKLING 94 POINTS - "Dried-strawberry and watermelon aromas follow through to a medium to full body, firm and polished tannins and a flavorful finish. Shows focus and intensity. Drink after 2021."
- Item #: i_303331Bottle Size: 750mlJames Suckling: 93Capichera is a small winery on the island of Sardinia, Italy. It is here that the Vermentino grapes acquire the valuable features that help to make the Vermentino Capichera the excellent white wine that makes its producers so proud to baptize this bottle with the same name of the winery. This white wine with golden reflections, has really bewitched us using the deep complexity that will astonish the palate. A unique Vermentino, fragrant, charismatic, without ever being a banal wine. The Vermentino Capichera recounts a story that is beautiful to listen to. It is the story of a landscape and of his rich and generous land, about its elegant synergy with the grape.
AROMA Floral, rich and complex, hawthorn, wild flowers, rosemary, lavender, wisteria, thyme, pineapple and flint
TASTE Full and rich, fruity and aromatic, with rich mineral flavor and elegance, long and lingering finish.
JAMES SUCKLING 93 POINTS - "This shows wonderful richness with dried mango peel, apple compote, dried orange blossom and lemon curd. Full body, layers of tropical fruit and an oily, spicy finish that’s drawn in nicely by some bright acidity."
- Item #: i_381754Bottle Size: 750mlA beautiful, impeccably balanced wine. There is lovely transparency and elegance to the fruit in an expression of Sangiovese that offers gorgeous roundness in a mid-weight, elegant style. The finish is long, soft and caressing. Even better, this is an outstanding value!
- Item #: i_305041Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94WINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS - "The 2016 Chianti Classico Riserva Il Poggiale shows extreme focus and precision with a pretty succession of dark fruit aromas followed by spice, leather and baked terracotta. This wine exhibits lots of depth and dimension with extra ripeness that comes forward as cherry confit and dried blackberry. That ripeness is well contained in this classic vintage. This is a lasting wine with a generous array of flavors and aromas, worthy of an aged T-bone steak. The blend is 90% Sangioveto, 5% Canaiolo and 5% Ciliegiolo and the wine is aged in barrique for 18 months."
Made from 90% Sangioveto, 5% Canaiolo, and 5% Ciliegiolo grown in the Il Poggiale vineyard, the grapes come from an elevation of almost 1,500 feet above sea level. The combination of high elevation and low yields results in a wine that manages to simultaneously show both restraint and layered richness. This classic red holds great aging capability.
- Item #: i_305372Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96James Suckling: 9850% Sangiovese & 50% Merlot
JAMES SUCKLING 98 POINTS - "What a beautiful nose of elderberries, freshly picked blackcurrants, citrus, herbs, licorice and crushed stones, amidst a backdrop of coffee beans, cedar and vanilla. Full-bodied and very subtle and refined with tightly wound tannins and an impressive balance of fruit and acidity. Long, grainy and elegant on the finish. A masterpiece. Drink in 2020."
WINE ADVOCATE 96 POINTS - "...a luscious and soft wine that oozes forth with dark berry intensity. The fruit is compact and dense. This wine performs beautifully in terms of aromas, but the mouthfeel is especially fine-tuned and elegant in this classic vintage. Dark fruit is followed by spice, tar, rose bud and sharp mineral nuances that recall the gravel and limestone-rich soils of Chianti Classico. This is perhaps the best vintage of Siepi I have tasted thus far."
- Item #: i_305887Bottle Size: 750mlWine Enthusiast: 95 PointsWINE ENTHUSIAST 95 POINTS - "New leather, menthol, red-skinned fruit and dark spice aromas form the nose along with enticing whiffs of vineyard dust. The linear, savory palate is still young but already boasts succulent red cherry, crushed raspberry, star anise and clove while taut, refined tannins and bright acidity provide finesse and freshness. Drink 2022–2036."
The 2016 Castello di Verduno Barbaresco is made from 100% Nebbiolo grapes grown in the crus of Rabaja and Faset in a unique soil type known locally as marne di Sant'agata, a mix of clay, sand and limestone. The wine pours a beautiful light ruby with a tawny-orange rim. On the nose, aromas of cherries, raspberries and red flowers leap from the glass. With time, more complexity emerges on the nose with notes of sandalwood and a rocky minerality. On the palate, this Barbaresco is full bodied with ripe, mouth-coating tannins and a fresh, integrated acidity. Flavors of tilled earth, potpourri and blood orange citrus fill the mouth along with the primary cherry and berry fruit, making for an incredibly complex mix of flavors. The finish is long and concentrated, with great depth and balance. A fabulous Barbaresco to enjoy tonight with a grilled steak served with polenta, or to age for another 10+ years!