- Item #: i_301305Bottle Size: 750MLJames Suckling: 91JAMES SUCKLING 91 POINTS
90% Sangiovese, 10% Merlot and Syrah - The wine is ruby red in color with aromas of ripe red fruit and well amalgamated notes of vanilla and coffee. The palate enjoys a notable support from the acidity, which maintains a pleasurable freshness and persistence of flavor along with soft and sweet tannins which guarantee excellent drinkability.
- Item #: i_301177Bottle Size: 750ml'Bricco Blina' is the name of the vineyard. This wine is a direct, straightforward rendition of the Barbera grape. Fresh acidity and berry flavors are the hallmarks of Barbera, but low yields and old vines give this wine very good depth and concentration, too. Fermentation and aging are completed in stainless steel.
The wine is a bright red color with a violet rim; aroma of red berries and mineral; palate is classic Barbera, bright raspberry/cranberry flavors with a very long finish. A classic that is wonderful with a variey of foods. Pizza, pasta, meats, cheeses...
- Item #: i_302567Bottle Size: 750mlWINERY NOTES - The grapes used to make “ Il Favot” come from vineyards which have undergone periodical implantations, and so have a maximum age of 15 years. The skin contact is limited to 6-8 days so to extract few tannins and more colour from the skins themselves, with the result of getting a well-coloured wine with a remarkable softness.
- Item #: i_301690Bottle Size: 750mlWhen sipping Aldo Conterno's Barbera one word that comes to mind is delicious. Inky purple in the glass and silky smooth on the palate, this wine is deeply tasty, very complex and thoroughly enjoyable. On the palate it is concentrated and full-bodied. Promiment flavours are blackberries, savoury spice and nutmeg blended with ripe plums and supple tannis. Long, elegant finish.
- Item #: i_301289Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 90WINE SPECTATOR 90 POINTS - Intense aromas and flavors of cherry, blueberry, graphite and spice mark this solid red. Dense without being overly tannic, with a balanced finish. Sangiovese, Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot.
- Item #: i_301319Bottle Size: 750mlThe nose of the wine shows intense notes of plum, cherry, and raspberry in addition to wild berry fruits and spices. The palate is distinguished by its roundness and amplitude. On the palate it has great depth and is characterized by a long finish and an aftertaste bursting with fruit. A very serious Merlot!!!
- Item #: i_301560Bottle Size: 750mlA clear and brilliant ruby red in color, the wine shows aromas of ripe red fruit, floral as well, along with spicy and balsamic notes which add freshness and complexity to the wine. The palate is pleasurable, ample and creamy in the initial phase, not excessively muscular or concentrated; the ripe tannins are supple and lively. The length and persistence are underlined by a freshness and savor which, in their turn, add further drinking pleasure.
- Item #: i_305878Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 97Just in this week, the 2016 Tignanello from the Antinori family is a wonderful follow-up to the previous vintage! This is one of the wines that launched the famous "Super-Tuscan" movement by pairing Sangiovese with Cabernets Sauvignon and Franc and aging in smaller French oak barrels, making Italian wines that could go head-to-head with the greats of Bordeaux and Napa Valley. Seeing the previous vintage sell out quickly, we think it's only fair to alert you now: The 2016 version is once again poised to be an international hit!
This is such a polished wine, already so enjoyable! There are elegant aromas of concentrated, ripe dark fruits (like blackberry and black cherry compote) interwoven with subtle earthy balsam and fresh herbal hints. The palate walks a thin line between baked and fresh fruit, with the gently herbal & savory counterpoints creating flavor balance. The French oak is finely integrated already, adding to an appetizing chewiness along with a layer of dark cocoa and a brooding hint of charred fruit on the finish. This is such a drinkable wine already thanks to the velvet texture and seamless integration of all its components; it's one of those wines that's deceiving in its complexity, pulling it off so effortlessly. What's more, the complexity will only grow as the ample fruit peels back over the years!
WINE ADVOCATE 97 POINTS - "To hit the market in June, the 2016 Tignanello is a rock-solid wine and a stunning beauty. The wine offers an impeccable level of precision and laser-focus delivery of fruits, spices, tilled earth, espresso beans and Mediterranean herbs. This vintage follows the classic blending formula of 80% Sangiovese with about 13% Cabernet Sauvignon and 7% Cabernet Franc. The vines are now 15 to 20 years old. Compared to the 2015 vintage that ultimately appeared more chewy and succulent, this expression from the iconic 2016 vintage is more vibrant, nervous and jazzed. It shows more savory spice, saltiness and minerality, with a beautifully integrated quality of tannins. Some 320,000 bottles were produced. This wine is at the top of the list of some of the best Tignanello ever made, including the vintages 2007, 2009, 2010, 2013 and 2015."
- Item #: i_302916Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95James Suckling: 98JAMES SUCKLING 98 POINTS - "Very complex aromas of fresh flowers, blackberries and black licorice follow through to a full body, integrated tannins and a long and linear finish. Focused and racy. The tannins are so polished. Better in 2022, but already such a joy to try."
WINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS - "A blend of Cabernet Sauvignon (50%), Petit Verdot (25%), Merlot (20%) and Sangiovese (5%), the 2016 Solengo is a terrific wine and I enjoyed my sample down to the very last drop that I coaxed from the bottle with happy enthusiasm. This is a full-bodied red (but not in an exaggerated manner) with plump and fruit-forward aromas of dark cherry, blackberry, plum, spice and sweet tobacco. The wine is balanced with excellent depth and mouthfeel momentum. I highly recommend this wine from both the 2015 and 2016 vintages, which are both terrific. Some 25,000 bottles were made. Drink through 2035."
- Item #: i_303557Bottle Size: 750mlJoe Bastianich may be from New York, but he is building quite a reputation locally with his La Mozza restaurants in LA and Newport Beach. Depending on who you ask, JosephJoe Bastianich may be from New York, but he is building quite a reputation locally with his La Mozza restaurants in LA and Newport Beach. Depending on who you ask, Joseph Bastianich is known as a winery owner in Fruili, author on one of the best books on Italian wines (Vino Italiano), Mario Batali’s partner, one of the celebrity judges on Top Chef, or simply Lidia’s son. Joe is one of the most accomplished and diversely talented wine personalities in America. His Vespa Bianco has a seductive richness reminiscent of Meursault’s “honey on toast” with layers of brightness, minerality, and floral touches weaving throughout. Bastianich is known as a winery owner in Fruili, author on one of the best books on Italian wines (Vino Italiano), Mario Batali’s partner, one of the celebrity judges on Top Chef, or simply Lidia’s son. Joe is one of the most accomplished and diversely talented wine personalities in America. His Vespa Bianco has a seductive richness reminiscent of Meursault’s “honey on toast” with layers of brightness, minerality, and floral touches weaving throughout.
- Item #: i_305321Bottle Size: 750mlWINE ENTHUSIAST - "Truffle, crushed mint and red berry aromas mingle with a whiff of wild rose. The aromas carry through to the light-bodied, racy palate along with white pepper and a citrus note. A hint of oyster shell gives it a tangy finish."
- Item #: i_302638Bottle Size: 750mlJames Suckling: 98JAMES SUCKLING 98 POINTS - "The aromas are always so complex with cherries, blackberries, rosemary, sage and spice. Full-bodied, very tight and polished with a dense and powerful palate, which opens and grows, yet remains agile and beautiful. A solid red. Wonderful segue from the 2015. 80 per cent sangiovese with colorino and canaiolo. Try after 2022."
- Item #: i_301755Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96James Suckling: 98JAMES SUCKLING 98 POINTS - "A very beautiful and thoughtful Testamatta with aromas of earth, terra cotta, black tea, and lavender. Full-bodied, very layered and extremely polished with superb, soft tannins. Racy and very long. Muscular and formed but very, very balanced. Gorgeous richness and depth. Shows balance and wonder. Try in 2020."
WINE ADVOCATE 96 POINTS
Bibi Graetz, a respected artist born of Italian and Norwegian parents, started Testmatta (meaning “hot head” in Italian) in the late 90’s just outside of Florence in the renaissance town of Fiesole. At the time his family was faced with losing the lease contracts on some untended old Sangiovese vines that surround his home at the Castello de Vincigliata, or to take the time to recover the vineyard and produce wines. Naturally Bibi saw an artistic opportunity, and chose to begin production with his first vintage in 2000.
Bibi is known for his artwork throughout Europe, and each label is adorned with his personal work.
Testamatta Toscana is his Super Tuscan offering, though breaking a bit with new tradition for Super Tuscans, this wine is 100% Sangiovese. Bibi wanted to see what could be done with Sangiovese with judicious use of new French oak, and the result is the creation of a cult classic. Bibi’s Testamatta Toscana IGT will lay down for quite some time.
- Item #: i_305061Bottle Size: 750mlCimixa is the name of an ancient grape variety from the Ligurian Coast of Northwest Italy near the town of Genova. More commonly called Scimiscia, this is a grape variety of unique character and history.
Bisson uses the ancient dialect to identify this wonderful white wine. A rich style white wine, still with an edge of acidity, shows off citrus and white fruit characteristics as well as nuts, specifically pecan.
- Item #: i_302542Bottle Size: 750mlWORKING ORGANICALLY
OLIVER MCCRUM, IMPORTER - "Mid-weight everyday Nebbiolo; beautiful mid-ruby color, rose-petals, red fruit, very fresh, some mineral notes, aged entirely in stainless steel. I had this with pizza recently and it was excellent but this will go with all sorts of foods. If you drink Pinot Noir much you should be drinking this too, similar weight and similar food matches."
- Item #: i_303208Bottle Size: EACHJames Suckling: 93Red wine with a bouquet of red fruits, spices, vanilla and licorice, with great body, structure and smoothness, soft and elegant.
- Item #: i_301865Bottle Size: 750mlDecanter: 95 PointsDECANTER 95 POINTS - "Established in 2013 by the Alejandro Bulgheroni Family Vineyards Group, the Podere Brizio estate sits on the South-West facing Montalcino hills, in a unique setting nestled among olive groves. With 11.5 hectares of vineyards in Montalcino's hottest area, the winery focuses on sustainable viticulture philosophies and true expression of terroir within the wines. The hand harvested grapes are traditionally vinified in stainless steel tanks with indigenous yeasts, before ageing for 12 months in large untoasted French oak casks. Nicolas Clerc MS: Precise nose, superb and floral. Elegant and delicate berry fruit, with racy mineral complexity. Balanced, harmonious and long. A class act. Aldo Fiordelli: Extremely well balanced wine with bergamot notes and an almost orange peel tinge. Slightly austere on the tannins, however not without character. Very classic. Susan Hulme MW: Sweet black cherry aromas, almost toffee-like sweetness too. Rich, ripe and complete without being heavy. Lots of savoury tannins and juicy, mouthwatering acidity to keep freshness. Really appealing, yet serious too."
- Item #: i_305881Bottle Size: 750mlORGANICALLY FARMED
Gorgeous older-vine Barbera from a terrific vintage. Already has a lovely texture there's more floral character and a tauter nature to the wine, lovely layered clay notes on the palate, leaves the palate clean and fresh with some mineral notes on the finish. This is what Barbera should be, showing incipient balsamic and India ink flavors with fine sweet/tart balance and persistence to the notably fresh fruit flavors.
This cuvée is from a one-hectare or so old-vines plot in Serralunga d'Alba at 350 meters altitude, some of which was planted in 1960 and another parcel planted in 1981.
This is the historic Bricco Fiasco vineyard!
- Item #: i_305502Bottle Size: 750mlJames Suckling: 94JAMES SUCKLING 94 POINTS - "Dried-strawberry and watermelon aromas follow through to a medium to full body, firm and polished tannins and a flavorful finish. Shows focus and intensity. Drink after 2021."
- Item #: i_303591Bottle Size: 750mlThe Montepulciano grape in Abruzzo makes some of the easiest-drinking wines in the world. Each sip delivers a mouthful of ripe berries, leather and black pepper with subtle hints of oregano, dried herbs and a touch of vanilla; all leading to a dry and supple finish.
Recommended food: Assertive, full-flavored "country style" cooking such as: Venison or rabbit stew; Ossobuco; Roast leg of lamb; Spaghetti puttanesca; Pasta with sausage, pepper and onions; Roast duck with green peppercorn sauce.
- Item #: i_303331Bottle Size: 750mlJames Suckling: 93Capichera is a small winery on the island of Sardinia, Italy. It is here that the Vermentino grapes acquire the valuable features that help to make the Vermentino Capichera the excellent white wine that makes its producers so proud to baptize this bottle with the same name of the winery. This white wine with golden reflections, has really bewitched us using the deep complexity that will astonish the palate. A unique Vermentino, fragrant, charismatic, without ever being a banal wine. The Vermentino Capichera recounts a story that is beautiful to listen to. It is the story of a landscape and of his rich and generous land, about its elegant synergy with the grape.
AROMA Floral, rich and complex, hawthorn, wild flowers, rosemary, lavender, wisteria, thyme, pineapple and flint
TASTE Full and rich, fruity and aromatic, with rich mineral flavor and elegance, long and lingering finish.
JAMES SUCKLING 93 POINTS - "This shows wonderful richness with dried mango peel, apple compote, dried orange blossom and lemon curd. Full body, layers of tropical fruit and an oily, spicy finish that’s drawn in nicely by some bright acidity."
- Item #: i_381754Bottle Size: 750mlA beautiful, impeccably balanced wine. There is lovely transparency and elegance to the fruit in an expression of Sangiovese that offers gorgeous roundness in a mid-weight, elegant style. The finish is long, soft and caressing. Even better, this is an outstanding value!
- Item #: i_305705Bottle Size: 750mlCastello di Fonterutoli, one of Italy's most prestigious wine producers, is situated on a historic property embracing an entire tranquil, centuries-old hamlet just south of Castellina in Chianti. The estate has been in the hands of the Mazzei family since 1435 and is today led by Lapo Mazzei and his sons, Francesco and Filippo. Grapes are hand-harvested and then fermented in temperature-controlled stainless steel tanks at 75-84°F. The total maceration period is 12-15 days. The wine is aged in a combination of French and American oak barrels for 10 months.Intense aromas of red berries and cocoa. On the palate it is soft and smooth with flavors of wild blackberries and raspberries; well balanced, with great depth and a long finish.
- Item #: i_305887Bottle Size: 750mlWine Enthusiast: 95 PointsWINE ENTHUSIAST 95 POINTS - "New leather, menthol, red-skinned fruit and dark spice aromas form the nose along with enticing whiffs of vineyard dust. The linear, savory palate is still young but already boasts succulent red cherry, crushed raspberry, star anise and clove while taut, refined tannins and bright acidity provide finesse and freshness. Drink 2022–2036."
The 2016 Castello di Verduno Barbaresco is made from 100% Nebbiolo grapes grown in the crus of Rabaja and Faset in a unique soil type known locally as marne di Sant'agata, a mix of clay, sand and limestone. The wine pours a beautiful light ruby with a tawny-orange rim. On the nose, aromas of cherries, raspberries and red flowers leap from the glass. With time, more complexity emerges on the nose with notes of sandalwood and a rocky minerality. On the palate, this Barbaresco is full bodied with ripe, mouth-coating tannins and a fresh, integrated acidity. Flavors of tilled earth, potpourri and blood orange citrus fill the mouth along with the primary cherry and berry fruit, making for an incredibly complex mix of flavors. The finish is long and concentrated, with great depth and balance. A fabulous Barbaresco to enjoy tonight with a grilled steak served with polenta, or to age for another 10+ years!