- Item #: i_301305Bottle Size: 750MLJames Suckling: 91JAMES SUCKLING 91 POINTS
90% Sangiovese, 10% Merlot and Syrah - The wine is ruby red in color with aromas of ripe red fruit and well amalgamated notes of vanilla and coffee. The palate enjoys a notable support from the acidity, which maintains a pleasurable freshness and persistence of flavor along with soft and sweet tannins which guarantee excellent drinkability.
- Item #: i_302040Bottle Size: 750mlA clean, rich and juicy Barbera with clean floral and fruit aromas. "'Pierin' blends fruit from two neighboring vineyards and bears the name of the family associate who supplied much of the old vines fruit for this wine...the wine is racked into large oak casks of 30 hectoliter size where it ages for one year. The wine is bottled without fining or filtration. Its character is muscled and exuberant with a rustic shrug of its broad shoulders." - ROSENTHAL WINE MERCHANT
- Item #: i_302523Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "The 2016 Bolgheri Superiore Sor Ugo offers thickly extracted aromas of blackberry preserves and cherry confit with smoke, tar and sweet spice. This is a full-bodied red (with 15% alcohol) that wraps thickly over the palate, showing rich density and concentration along the way. Campfire ash and hickory smoke appear on the close. The blend is 45% Cabernet Sauvignon, 35% Merlot, 15% Cabernet Franc and 5% Petit Verdot aged in barrique for 18 months. Some 30,000 bottles were made."
When the wine called "Sassicaia" (meaning "place with a lot of rocks", in reference to the vineyards near Categneto Carducci) was released in 1968, the phenomenon of the super]Tuscan was born. Sharing a rarefied position, with vineyards intimately proximate to the origin of this most famous super]Tuscan wine, the Pellegrini family, the owners of Aia Vecchia, have been grape growers in the area for several generations. Owning seventy]four acres of the estates under the Bolgheri DOC, in some of the most favored locations, Aia Vecchia is not only emulating, but surpassing the quality of their more famed neighbors with their brilliant rendition of a super-Tuscan Bordeaux-style blend: Aia Vecchia Sor Ugo.
Characteristics: a long lasting, intense wine continually unfolding in aroma, with notes of spices and forest fruits; its great concentration and structure, the natural expression of the warmth and strength of its territory make it powerful, mineral, rich, complex and evident on the nose and palate.
- Item #: i_301289Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 90WINE SPECTATOR 90 POINTS - Intense aromas and flavors of cherry, blueberry, graphite and spice mark this solid red. Dense without being overly tannic, with a balanced finish. Sangiovese, Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot.
- Item #: i_305878Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95-97Just in this week, the 2016 Tignanello from the Antinori family is a wonderful follow-up to the previous vintage! This is one of the wines that launched the famous "Super-Tuscan" movement by pairing Sangiovese with Cabernets Sauvignon and Franc and aging in smaller French oak barrels, making Italian wines that could go head-to-head with the greats of Bordeaux and Napa Valley. Seeing the previous vintage sell out quickly, we think it's only fair to alert you now: The 2016 version is once again poised to be an international hit!
This is such a polished wine, already so enjoyable! There are elegant aromas of concentrated, ripe dark fruits (like blackberry and black cherry compote) interwoven with subtle earthy balsam and fresh herbal hints. The palate walks a thin line between baked and fresh fruit, with the gently herbal & savory counterpoints creating flavor balance. The French oak is finely integrated already, adding to an appetizing chewiness along with a layer of dark cocoa and a brooding hint of charred fruit on the finish. This is such a drinkable wine already thanks to the velvet texture and seamless integration of all its components; it's one of those wines that's deceiving in its complexity, pulling it off so effortlessly. What's more, the complexity will only grow as the ample fruit peels back over the years!
WINE ADVOCATE 95-97 POINTS - "Tasted from barrel, the 2016 Tignanello will be released next year in April. This celebrated red blend is of course mostly Sangiovese with about 15% Cabernet Sauvignon and 5% Cabernet Franc. If 2015 is an ideal vintage for Tuscan blended reds made with the great Bordeaux varieties, the 2016 vintage is better suited to Italian grapes such as Sangiovese. This classic vintage of Tignanello has a leg up, albeit slim, over the previous vintage precisely because the protagonist here is Sangiovese. This wine shows a high caliber of fresh primary fruit that is direct and intense. In the mouth, the wine is focused and sharp. Ultimately, the 2016 Tignanello is slightly more streamlined compared to the more fleshy 2015. This adds to the firm elegance you get here."
- Item #: i_302116Bottle Size: 750mlJames Suckling: 93JAMES SUCKLING 93 POINTS - "This is beautiful on the nose, showing lots of brambly notes, ranging from undergrowth and forest floor to elderberries, raspberry bush and dried herbs. Full-bodied, tight and very elegant, framed by linear tannins and bright acidity."
NC is a wine with a decisive, full-bodied character, smooth tannins and a persistent finish. This blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Syrah andSangiovese reveals an exciting potency, with the innate gentleness of Merlot creating a bridge between the evident earthiness of Sangiovese, the aromatic blackcurrant flavour of Cabernet and the warm red berries of Syrah. The result is a generous, rounded red wine, destined for short to medium ageing, with delicious aromas of currants and generous fruit flavours, versatile enough to develop in greater depth during long months in the bottle.
- Item #: i_302580Bottle Size: 750MLArgiolas has long been the quality leader on the previously overlooked island of Sardegna (Sardinia). The island's Cannonau based wines have become sought after since a daytime TV host suggested that perhaps drinking Cannonau contributed to the islanders' longevity. We make no such health claims but we do enjoy the flavors of Cannonau which turns out to be Grenache (Garnacha). Argiolas Costera is composed of 90% Cannonau, 5% Bovale Sardo and 5% Carignano (Carignan) grown on the calcareous soils of the Costera vineyard.
- Item #: i_302219Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 90Wine Spectator: 93WINE SPECTATOR INSIDER 93 POINTS - "A ripe style, this sports cherry, raspberry, violet and mineral aromas and flavors, matched to a tensile structure, revealing fine balance and length. Best from 2021 through 2033."
WINE ADVOCATE 90 POINTS - "The 2016 Chianti Classico is a terrific wine and perhaps the best vintage made thus far. The wine opens to a medium dark appearance with pretty layers of wild cherry, redcurrant and mild spice. Badia a Coltibuono always does a great job of expressing the cool and somewhat wild nature of Gaiole in Chianti. This is a blend of 90% Sangiovese with 10% Canaiolo and Ciliegiolo. Some 128,000 bottles were made, and this is great news for all you value-wine consumers out there."
This wine, with ICEA organic certification from 2003, is the result of absolutely natural production methods using hand-picked organically grown Sangiovese and Canaiolo grapes from our vineyards at Badia a Coltibuono.
WINE MAKER NOTES: "The color is bright ruby, the nose unveils layers of iris, violet, tobacco, black pepper and marasca cherry. The taste is well balanced, tightly knit with supple tannins, mineral notes, a mouth cleansing fresh acidity. Warm and persistent. Pair with first courses such as pasta, meat dishes and moderately aged cheeses."
Badia a Coltibuono is about one thousand years old but its prehistory takes us back to Estrucan times and beyond. As we know it today, Badia a Coltibuono (which means Abbey of the Good Harvest), dates from the middle of the eleventh century. Forest berries, spices, leather, moist earth and dried plum, layered in the aroma. Soft, round taste, well-balanced acidity and clean and persistent aftertaste. Very pleasing, and ready to drink. Coltibuono remains one of the most beloved estates in the Chianti zone. Over the past few years their wines have gained a high level of finesse and quality.
- Item #: i_305321Bottle Size: 750mlWINE ENTHUSIAST - "Truffle, crushed mint and red berry aromas mingle with a whiff of wild rose. The aromas carry through to the light-bodied, racy palate along with white pepper and a citrus note. A hint of oyster shell gives it a tangy finish."
- Item #: i_305062Bottle Size: 750mlDecanter: 90 PointsDECANTER 90 POINTS - "Located on the gently rolling hills of Castellina-in-Chianti, Bibbiano has been in the hands of the Marrocchesi Marzi family since 1865, and has benefitted from decades of consultancy by the great Giulio Gambelli. As of 2012, the vineyards are certified organic. This has an expressive and exuberant nose of thyme, mint and ripe red cherry, following through on a palate which demonstrates juicy acidity. The tannins are fresh and powdery, lending the wine plenty of life."
Chianti Classico Bibbiano - also known as "black label" - is the result of a careful selection of grapes from all the vineyards of our estate, from both the south-west and north-east slopes.
The grape harvest for this wine generally begins in the second half of September; maceration and fermentation, in cement tanks, lasts about twenty days. A further stage of maturation is still in cement vats, followed by a further period of refining in bottles.
The color of the wine is a brilliant ruby red. It is intensely scented with a fruity note of blackberries and plums. The mouthfeel is rather intense; nonetheless this wine is easy to drink, thanks to a pleasant acidity that makes it fresh and lively.
- Item #: i_305061Bottle Size: 750mlCimixa is the name of an ancient grape variety from the Ligurian Coast of Northwest Italy near the town of Genova. More commonly called Scimiscia, this is a grape variety of unique character and history.
Bisson uses the ancient dialect to identify this wonderful white wine. A rich style white wine, still with an edge of acidity, shows off citrus and white fruit characteristics as well as nuts, specifically pecan.
- Item #: i_302542Bottle Size: 750mlWORKING ORGANICALLY
OLIVER MCCRUM, IMPORTER - "Mid-weight everyday Nebbiolo; beautiful mid-ruby color, rose-petals, red fruit, very fresh, some mineral notes, aged entirely in stainless steel. I had this with pizza recently and it was excellent but this will go with all sorts of foods. If you drink Pinot Noir much you should be drinking this too, similar weight and similar food matches."
- Item #: i_305741Bottle Size: 750mlWine Enthusiast: 93 PointsWINE ENTHUSIAST 93 POINTS - "Made entirely with Friulano, this elegant, structured white opens with aromas suggesting toasted nut, acacia and mature orchard fruit. The polished, vibrant palate delivers ripe Golden Delicious apple, dried apricot, crushed herb and citrus zest set against a vein of energizing minerality. An almond note lingers on the finish. Drink through 2025."
- Item #: i_303208Bottle Size: EACHJames Suckling: 93Red wine with a bouquet of red fruits, spices, vanilla and licorice, with great body, structure and smoothness, soft and elegant.
- Item #: i_301229Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 91James Suckling: 91JAMES SUCKLING 91 POINTS - "Shows blackberries, balsamic and plenty of cloves, vanilla and roasted herbs. Full body, chewy tannins and a succulent finish."
We are excited to share our bounty of beautiful Barbera wines from Braida. This winery was founded over fifty years ago in Piedmont by Giacomo Bologna who realized the inherent potential of the Barbera grape. Up to that point, others were content to produce simple table wines, which lacked complexity or ageability. Controlling yields in the vineyard and employing strict winemaking practices in the cellar greatly improved the quality of the wine. Giacomo also began using French barriques to age his wine, which was a practice unknown at that time among Barbera winemakers.
Today, the third generation of the family continues their pursuit of elevating the Barbera grape to the status of noble grapes, which is normally reserved for other international varieties. Their efforts have paid off and are apparent in every sip you take. These are fantastic wines of purity and depth.
With strict attention to detail, Braida produces exceptional wines. The Bricco Dell'Uccellone and Ai Suma bottlings are serious wines, which demonstrate the heights which the Barbera grape can attain. The quality is outstanding with a textural mouth feel which is polished from start to finish.
- Item #: i_303591Bottle Size: 750mlThe Montepulciano grape in Abruzzo makes some of the easiest-drinking wines in the world. Each sip delivers a mouthful of ripe berries, leather and black pepper with subtle hints of oregano, dried herbs and a touch of vanilla; all leading to a dry and supple finish.
Recommended food: Assertive, full-flavored "country style" cooking such as: Venison or rabbit stew; Ossobuco; Roast leg of lamb; Spaghetti puttanesca; Pasta with sausage, pepper and onions; Roast duck with green peppercorn sauce.
- Item #: i_301250Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 94James Suckling: 94WINE SPECTATOR 94 POINTS - "Though tightly packed and supported by a dense matrix of tannins, this offers appealing purity of the black currant and blackberry fruit. Concentrated yet lively, with a lingering aftertaste of fruit, spice and mineral. Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Cabernet Franc and Petit Verdot. Best from 2021 through 2035."
JAMES SUCKLING 94 POINTS - "This sophisticated, Bolgheri red has dense aromas of black and blue fruit that easily dominate the fine, toasty and bitter-chocolate oak character. Fleshy, but not a jot too ripe, the silky tannins give the long finish a lot of appeal. Drink or hold."
- Item #: i_305705Bottle Size: 750mlCastello di Fonterutoli, one of Italy's most prestigious wine producers, is situated on a historic property embracing an entire tranquil, centuries-old hamlet just south of Castellina in Chianti. The estate has been in the hands of the Mazzei family since 1435 and is today led by Lapo Mazzei and his sons, Francesco and Filippo. Grapes are hand-harvested and then fermented in temperature-controlled stainless steel tanks at 75-84°F. The total maceration period is 12-15 days. The wine is aged in a combination of French and American oak barrels for 10 months.Intense aromas of red berries and cocoa. On the palate it is soft and smooth with flavors of wild blackberries and raspberries; well balanced, with great depth and a long finish.
- Item #: i_305887Bottle Size: 750mlWine Enthusiast: 95 PointsWINE ENTHUSIAST 95 POINTS - "New leather, menthol, red-skinned fruit and dark spice aromas form the nose along with enticing whiffs of vineyard dust. The linear, savory palate is still young but already boasts succulent red cherry, crushed raspberry, star anise and clove while taut, refined tannins and bright acidity provide finesse and freshness. Drink 2022–2036."
The 2016 Castello di Verduno Barbaresco is made from 100% Nebbiolo grapes grown in the crus of Rabaja and Faset in a unique soil type known locally as marne di Sant'agata, a mix of clay, sand and limestone. The wine pours a beautiful light ruby with a tawny-orange rim. On the nose, aromas of cherries, raspberries and red flowers leap from the glass. With time, more complexity emerges on the nose with notes of sandalwood and a rocky minerality. On the palate, this Barbaresco is full bodied with ripe, mouth-coating tannins and a fresh, integrated acidity. Flavors of tilled earth, potpourri and blood orange citrus fill the mouth along with the primary cherry and berry fruit, making for an incredibly complex mix of flavors. The finish is long and concentrated, with great depth and balance. A fabulous Barbaresco to enjoy tonight with a grilled steak served with polenta, or to age for another 10+ years!
- Item #: i_305682Bottle Size: 750mlJames Suckling: 92Decanter: 91 PointsEU CERTIFIED ORGANIC
DECANTER 91 POINTS - "Purchased as a hunting retreat by Raffaello Stianti in 1966, Castello di Volpaia encompasses an 11th century fortified village in Radda-in-Chianti. Today the estate includes 43ha of vineyards reaching up to 600 metres. For this wine, Merlot is included to make it more approachable, but it still has the potential to age. Red berries and earth notes reveal themselves slowly, with perfumed violet nuances showing up on the palate. Firm but refined tannins hold it all together, and the finish lingers with appetising minerality."
GAMBERO ROSSO GUIDE - TRE BICCHIERE (3 GLASSES)
JAMES SUCKLING 92 POINTS
- Item #: i_303904Bottle Size: 750mlDecanter: 93 PointsDECANTER 93 POINTS - "A selection of bunches from Volpaia’s best sites among their 43ha at lofty heights in Radda-in-Chianti. The estate waited until 3 October to start picking in order to bring the grapes in at full ripeness. Distinctly peppery red fruits mark the nose, with rosehip, celery and anise backing them up. The palate is focussed and bright with brisk acidity, though the tannins need time to unwind. Nice tension here."
- Item #: i_305652Bottle Size: 750mlWhile winemaking at Castiglion del Bosco has been a craft for centuries, until fairly recently the vineyards were cultivated solely for personal consumption by each family living on the Estate. Today, Castiglion del Bosco wines are consistently recognized for their excellence. As one of the founding members of the Consorzio del Vino Brunello di Montalcino, the organization that regulates and controls the quality of Brunello production, Castiglion del Bosco introduced the world to its exemplary vintages through the emergence of a commercial operation in the late 1950s. In 2004, acclaimed international Wine Master Nicolo D’Afflitto took command of winemaking at Castiglion del Bosco, along with locally trained enologist Cecilia Leoneschi. Under their careful direction, the Estate is yielding more modern Brunellos that are attracting critical acclaim. The fundamental goal of winemaking at Castiglion del Bosco is to remain faithful to the land and the characteristics of the grapes.Pleasant and modern wine, characterized by a fresh and well-rounded Sangiovese. Intense varietal aromas are the result of a combination of tradition and modern techniques in the cellar.
- Item #: i_305625Bottle Size: 750mlPRACTICING ORGANIC
This Nebbiolo comes from the Bricco Boschis (Barolo) vineyard, generally from the youngest vines. Excellent structure with aromas typical of the Bricco Boschis: Red fruits and flowers, with spices, all open and intense. Excellent aging potential.