- Item #: i_381401Bottle Size: 750mlMerlot, Cabernet Sauvignon and Franc
This is a ripe and moderately rich coastal Tuscan red, with enough extract to give a little velvety texture and structure. Driven by fruit (like plum, black cherry, and blackberry macerated in spirits), dried herbs, and a touch of vanilla from the year in oak. The finish gives you some pleasantly ripe fruit skins. A good wine for drinking on its own or partnering with moderately rich dishes.
This estate has been bringing us incredible value since the 90's with the help of the late legendary winemaker of Ornellaia, Tibor Gal, who assisted them in the start of their own winery. The Pellegrini estates include vineyards in some of the most reputable spots in Bolgheri. The home to some of the most well-known Super Tuscans in the world including the highly regarded, Sassicaia. The one place where Bordeaux varietals take precedence over any native Italian grape.
The Pellegrini family have been grape growers for many generations and have sold their grapes to some of the Top Super Tuscan houses for many years. Their property, Casavecchia, is adjacent to the highly regarded Ornellaia and shares many attributes of its more famous neighbor. Somehow, even in this high rent district, Aia Vecchia has brought us an affordable interpretation of this fantastic Mediterranean climate location. This fantastic Super Tuscan is drinking exceptionally well right now!
- Item #: i_302116Bottle Size: 750mlJames Suckling: 93Sangiovese, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, & Syrah
JAMES SUCKLING 93 POINTS - "A savory, spicy red with dark berries and chocolate and a hint of vanilla on the palate. Medium to full body, very chewy tannins and a flavorful finish. Drink from 2021."
NC is a wine with a decisive, full-bodied character, smooth tannins and a persistent finish. This blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Syrah andSangiovese reveals an exciting potency, with the innate gentleness of Merlot creating a bridge between the evident earthiness of Sangiovese, the aromatic blackcurrant flavour of Cabernet and the warm red berries of Syrah. The result is a generous, rounded red wine, destined for short to medium ageing, with delicious aromas of currants and generous fruit flavours, versatile enough to develop in greater depth during long months in the bottle.
- Item #: i_302191Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95James Suckling: 9640% Cabernet Sauvignon, 40% Petit Verdot, & 20% Cabernet Franc
JAMES SUCKLING 96 POINTS - "Aromas of black licorice and blackberry. Blueberry, too. This is so complex. Full body, extremely silky and polished with lovely tannins. Deep and long. It seems powerful and rich yet ends so balanced and refined."
WINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS - "The 2015 Ilatraia is a drop-dead gorgeous blend...all fruit coming from Brancaia's Maremma vineyards along the Tuscan coast. This warm vintage has shaped an exuberant and intense red wine that hits the palate with lavish richness. The complex bouquet is composed of dark fruit elements that are contrasted seamlessly against spice, sweet tobacco and campfire ash. Yet the mouthfeel is never too heavy or overextracted. There's a lot to enjoy here."
- Item #: i_381754Bottle Size: 750mlA beautiful, impeccably balanced wine. There is lovely transparency and elegance to the fruit in an expression of Sangiovese that offers gorgeous roundness in a mid-weight, elegant style. The finish is long, soft and caressing. Even better, this is an outstanding value!
- Item #: i_301646Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95Il Toro is an elegant blend of Syrah and Petit Verdot that expresses the benefits of a moderate climate such as Tuscany's, where vines grow naturally without needing irrigation and yield an excellent quantity and quality of fruit. The resulting wine is a bold Super Tuscan that attests to the fact that French varietals can thrive in Tuscany and give exceptional quality, whilst retaining an undeniably Tuscan character.
Beautiful diversity, density in the nose: brambleberry, raspberry, flambéed cherries are tempered by scents of scrub oak hillside, wet nursery and sea side campfire. The palate starts lush with bright red berries and white pepper, leading to firm tannins and forward acidity-- excellent structure! The strength and grip of this bull is lifted by dark red, spicy fruits: plum, redcurrant, cherry cola. Bellisimo!
WINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS - "A blend of Petit Verdot and Syrah, the 2016 Il Toro is a muscular animal that boldly exposes dark fruit, blackberry preserves, dried cherry, spice, leather and spicy cedar. The blend is unique because it pairs the volume and spicy intensity of Syrah with the density, darkness and structure of Petit Verdot. Softer aromas of sweet fruit cede quickly to tar, grilled herb and rich plum. Pair this wine with grilled T-bone steak. This is a bold and expressive wine that opens a new chapter for Filippo Chia and his talented team."
- Item #: i_302344Bottle Size: 750mlRipe dark fruits, notes of telltale Montalcino underbrush and herbs, nimble acidity, and satisfying tannins make this Rosso di Montalcino drink like a true “baby Brunello.” A blend of the best organically grown grapes, this Rosso spends about 18 months in barrel before bottling (regulations require that Brunello spends two years in barrel, making this wine akin to Montalcino’s more famous sibling).
- Item #: i_305333Bottle Size: 750mlThe wine is a blend of Nebbiolo, Croatina, Vespolina, Barbera and other native varieties. The average age of the vines are 60 years CERTIFIED BIODYNAMIC.
ORIGINI is a fruity, mineral and spiced wine produced with the various grapes in the old vineyards grown according to the system called "Maggiorina".
This form of breeding, which has existed for centuries, is made up of three screws, supported by eight chestnut poles, which develop into four cardinal points. The architect Antonelli (designer of "Mole Antonelliana") perfected the bell of the supporting poles, obtaining a self-supporting structure that is more resistant to grain loads.
If the complete manual processing at all the phenological phases of the vineyard, after the 1950s, has led the peasants to abandon this type of breeding, in its recovery it is intended to preserve a significant part of the historic wine heritage of our territory.
- Item #: i_303570Bottle Size: 750mlSangiovese (Morellino), 5% Syrah, 5% Alicante, 5% Ciliegiolo
Winery Notes - "Juicy dark fruit mingles with spice and licorice on the palate. The bright, ripe cherry and soft texture."
Mario Batali, Joe and Lidia Bastianich have partnered to create this wonderful Morellino di Scansano. The La Mozza Vineyard is near Scansano, a village in southern Tuscany, southwest of Montalcino. Perazzi is named after the fruit trees that grow on the estate and bear a pear-like fruit, which is depicted on the label. In Tuscany, the Sangiovese grape is known by several names, from Chianti to Brunello to Morellino, depending on where it is grown. Morellino means "little blackish one" because of the dark color of the grape. In the hot Maremma zone, the grapes are exposed to a more Mediterranean climate with enough heat to tone down Sangiovese's signature acidity, producing juicier fruit and a jammy flavor. I Perazzi was created to be unlike most other Morellinos, which see little or no time in oak.
- Item #: i_302612Bottle Size: 750mlORGANICALLY FARMED
Named for the road going past the winery, SP68 is a blend of Nero d’Avola and Frappato made from young vines and new plantings. Many think of Sicily as a source of bulk wine, but Arianna’s are soulful and balanced, fresh and lively. The Nero imparts rich dark red fruits and the Frappato gives a high-toned raspberry note, a perfect balance of power and finesse. The wine is energetic and electric, bursting with flavors of tart cherry, raspberry and herbs and soft tannins, making this one of the best values in her lineup. This is a wine we would heartily recommend to be served slightly chilled with food.
- Item #: i_301849Bottle Size: 750mlORGANICALLY FARMED
Rosso de Veo is a selection of the Bea estate's younger Sagrantino vines, principally from the "Cerrete" vineyard which graces the highest point in Montefalco, between 1300 and 1500 feet above sea level. The soil is clay and limestone infused with small pebbles from an ancient riverbed. This wine is vinified in a similar fashion to the single vineyard Sagrantino with a long cuvaison which extends forty to fifty days. The wine is then aged one year in stainless steel tanks, two years in large oak barrels and another year in bottle before release. The wine is not filtered.
- Item #: i_302230Bottle Size: 750ml70% Sangiovese, 13% Sagrantino, 15% Colorino
WINE ENTHUSIAST - "Ripe berry, charred underbrush, leather and clove aromas lead the way. The juicy, generous palate offers crushed raspberry, fleshy Marasca cherry and a hint of baking spice alongside taut tannins that give the close some unexpected grip." - KERIN O'KEEFE
Perticaia, located in the heart of Montefalco in Umbria, is the source of some of central Italy's best wines. This family estate draws its inspiration not only from the past (Perticaia means "plow" in Etruscan) but from the future, employing both natural and modern techniques to craft wines that are dazzling in their complexity, flavor profile and structure.
- Item #: i_302315Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95James Suckling: 97JAMES SUCKLING 97 POINTS - "This shows fantastic depth and intensity. Full-bodied, very balanced and beautiful. A rich and powerful wine. Watch this. Better than the 2015. A blend of cabernet sauvignon and petit Verdot."
WINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS - "The 2016 Sapaio shows abundant dark chocolate and spice all balanced out by the rich sweetness of the fruit. Blackberry, plum and dark currant emerge from the bouquet. The harvest required that much of the fruit for this wine come from vineyards in Bibbona (outside the Bolgheri appellation), and that's why this wine is classified as a Toscana IGT. The results are well-balanced, fragrant and absolutely seamless. Some 20,000 bottles were made."
- Item #: i_303468Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 91James Suckling: 92JAMEs SUCKLING 92 POINTS - "A juicy and ripe red with dried berry and chocolate. Medium body with chewy and soft tannins. Flavorful finish. Drink or hold. "
WINE ADVOCATE 91 POINTS - "The 2015 Maremma Toscana Le Sughere di Frassinello is a great value blend of 50% Sangioveto, 25% Merlot and 25% Cabernet Sauvignon (aged in French oak for one year). This wine boasts a proven track record for its consistent value and accessibility and can be counted on for both. It releases a steady flow of dark fruit and spice aromas that build in momentum. The mouthfeel is generous and softly velvety in texture, especially in this warm vintage."
We've been following the Rocca di Frassinello estate for a number of years; bring Chateau Lafite into a joint venture on the Tuscan coast with Chianti's much heralded Castellare estate and you have our attention. Time and again, our favorite bottling from Frassinello has been the "Le Sughere di Frassinello." "Le Sughere" is meant as second wine from the large Frassinello estate, next to the more age-worthy top wine simply called "Rocca di Frassinello." However, there is so much more charm and immediate pleasure in "Le Sughere di Frassinello" that we always want to go back this wine.
- Item #: i_301238Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 98WINE ADVOCATE 98 POINTS - "The 2016 Bolgheri Superiore Ornellaia is a wine of extreme complexity and precision. It offers monumental depth with profound layers of black fruit, coffee, licorice and baking chocolate. I tasted this 2016 vintage beside the less-impactful 2015 vintage (which was reviewed last year). These two editions are very different when compared side to side, and this 2016 release is clearly superior in terms of the quality, clarity and intensity of its offerings. This Ornellaia delivers glossy shine and a polished texture that segues to important richness, concentration and textural fiber. It wraps thickly over the palate, imparting waves of sweet dark fruit and dark spice that linger for many long minutes. This beautiful wine is hitting the market now, but collectors will want to put it straight into their cellars for safekeeping."
ANTONIO GALLONI; VINOUS 96+ POINTS - "Just bottled, the 2016 Ornellaia is a dense, powerful wine. Naturally, the 2016 is just at the beginning of its life, but I am struck by how polished the tannins are for such a young wine. Ornellaia is at its best starting around age ten, but there is little doubt the 2016 is a hugely promising wine. Black cherry, chocolate, plum, new leather and a range of spice notes all build into a veritable crescendo of aromas, flavors and textures." - Antonio Galloni (Mar 2019)
WINE SPECTATOR 96 POINTS - "Black currant, plum, cedar, lead pencil and toasty, spicy elements highlight this intense red. Muscular tannins line the extended finish, leaving a peppery impression. The parts are all there but need time to integrate. Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Cabernet Franc and Petit Verdot. Best from 2023 through 2043. From Italy." — B.S. (May 22, 2019) Tenuta dell'Ornellaia was founded in 1981, in a beautiful, unspoiled part of Tuscany. From the outset, their mission was to produce outstanding wines. Since then passion and dedication, coupled with a unique terroir and an extraordinary microclimate, has brought the Tenuta dell'Ornellaia's prestigious labels great success and recognition as one of the most important wineries in the world.
- Item #: i_382491Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96+History and Heritage: A Timeless Landscape
Tenutu di Arceno has been a center for winemaking and agriculture for more than a thousand years. The estate is located near the fork of two rivers: the Ambra, which flows to Florence, and the Ombrone, which flows to the Mediterranean. In ancient times, this area was a nexus of the Etruscan civilization. In honor of its history, the name Arceno comes from the Etruscan word Archè, meaning "point of origin".
The Tenuta di Arceno eventually made its way into the hands of two historically prominent and well-respected Italian families – the Del Taja and Piccolomini. The Del Taja family began purchasing the land parcel by parcel in 1504, expanding the estate and adding architectural improvements. In 1829 the Del Tajas sold the property to the Piccolomini, one of the most illustrious families of Siena, who created the splendid romantic gardens, lake, and outdoor structures that still stand today.? Continuing its history of family ownership, Tenuta di Arceno was acquired by Jess Jackson and Barbara Banke in 1994.
Tenuta di Arceno: A Modern Days Estate with a Rich History
Acquired by Barbara Banke and Jess Jackson in 1994, Tenuta di Arceno is on one of the region's most historic estates, comprised of 2,500 acres (1,011 hectares), only 220 (89 hectares) of which are planted to vines. The vineyards of Arceno possess an enviable diversity of elevations, facings, soils and meso-climates, a situation that is ideal for the cultivation of Sangiovese as well as the "international" varieties—Cabernet Franc, Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon primary among them.
WINE ADVOCATE 96+ POINTS - "The 2013 Arcanum is a blend of 73% Cabernet Franc with smaller parts Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon. The Cabernet Franc element is obviously strongest, and you get steely notes of black fruit follow by wild sage and rosemary oil. This is a powerful and thickly layered red wine that pushes the boundaries of extract and intensity, especially for a Tuscan red wine. Off the top of my head, I can count maybe ten wines from the region that take on such a full-bodied and opulent approach. This wine should age forward for many years to come."
Arcanum is the pinnacle of the estate’s offerings. Based on Cabernet Franc, the true signature of the estate, this remarkable wine is built to age yet is drinkable young, offering aromas of violets, roses and raspberries, with long and delicate spice notes; it is a wine that is seductive yet subtle. Arcanum is sourced primarily from the Apparita and Belvedere blocks of Cabernet Franc. With superb exposure and sandy clay soils, each year these blocks shine to produce the finest expression of the variety, and the leading wine of the estate.
- Item #: i_301456Bottle Size: 750mlMostly Cabernet Sauvignon, backed up by Merlot and Syrah.
WINE ADVOCATE 91 POINTS -"This is another extremely popular wine that is easily found up and down the Tuscan Coast. This red blend (with the largest part of the blend going to Cabernet Sauvignon) opens to a soft and velvety texture. The 2017 Bolgheri Rosso Il Bruciato offers some noticeable ripeness with black cherry, prune and raisin. But ultimately, the wine shows a good level of freshness because the acidity in the grapes was concentrated (like everything else in this hot vintage)."
- Item #: i_302316Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 94+James Suckling: 95From Tenuta San Guido, makers of the iconic Sassicaia, comes a wine made for less serious occasions, but maintains the high class of winemaking. Aged in a mix of French and American oak for 15 months.
JAMES SUCKLING 95 POINTS - "This is extremely perfumed with aromas of lavender, cinnamon, blackberries, bark and blackcurrants. Full-bodied, extremely refined and polished. Gorgeous fruit and balance. Best ever bottling of this pretty wine from the producers of Sassicaia? Drink or hold."
WINE ADVOCATE 94+ POINTS - "This wine is showing exceptionally well in this classic vintage. The 2016 Guidalberto (Cabernet Sauvignon and a smaller percentage of Merlot) opens to a full and generous bouquet and a beautifully rich and velvety appearance. This edition of Tenuta San Guido's mid-level wine offers a bigger aromatic profile, more texture and more volume as well. Dark cherry and blackberry segue to spice, tar, leather and sweet fruit at the end. The mouthfeel is elegantly shaped, silky and nuanced. This may well be the best vintage of Guidalberto I have yet to taste—and you can get this wine at a great price too."
- Item #: i_302899Bottle Size: 750mlJames Suckling: 97JAMES SUCKLING 97 POINTS - "This has a wonderful texture of beautiful, ultra-fine tannins, complex character of dark fruit, currants, hazelnuts and light chocolate. Goes on for minutes. Give it three or four years of bottle age but already so delicious. Drink in 2022."
Tua Rita is among the most consistent producers in Tuscany. This estate offers an excellent and exciting assortment of Tuscan red wines year after year. This new set of releases shows that the wind continues to blow into the Tua Rita sails.