- Item #: i_381401Bottle Size: 750mlMerlot, Cabernet Sauvignon and Franc
This is a ripe and moderately rich coastal Tuscan red, with enough extract to give a little velvety texture and structure. Driven by fruit (like plum, black cherry, and blackberry macerated in spirits), dried herbs, and a touch of vanilla from the year in oak. The finish gives you some pleasantly ripe fruit skins. A good wine for drinking on its own or partnering with moderately rich dishes.
This estate has been bringing us incredible value since the 90's with the help of the late legendary winemaker of Ornellaia, Tibor Gal, who assisted them in the start of their own winery. The Pellegrini estates include vineyards in some of the most reputable spots in Bolgheri. The home to some of the most well-known Super Tuscans in the world including the highly regarded, Sassicaia. The one place where Bordeaux varietals take precedence over any native Italian grape.
The Pellegrini family have been grape growers for many generations and have sold their grapes to some of the Top Super Tuscan houses for many years. Their property, Casavecchia, is adjacent to the highly regarded Ornellaia and shares many attributes of its more famous neighbor. Somehow, even in this high rent district, Aia Vecchia has brought us an affordable interpretation of this fantastic Mediterranean climate location. This fantastic Super Tuscan is drinking exceptionally well right now!
- Item #: i_302116Bottle Size: 750mlJames Suckling: 93JAMES SUCKLING 93 POINTS - "This is beautiful on the nose, showing lots of brambly notes, ranging from undergrowth and forest floor to elderberries, raspberry bush and dried herbs. Full-bodied, tight and very elegant, framed by linear tannins and bright acidity."
NC is a wine with a decisive, full-bodied character, smooth tannins and a persistent finish. This blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Syrah andSangiovese reveals an exciting potency, with the innate gentleness of Merlot creating a bridge between the evident earthiness of Sangiovese, the aromatic blackcurrant flavour of Cabernet and the warm red berries of Syrah. The result is a generous, rounded red wine, destined for short to medium ageing, with delicious aromas of currants and generous fruit flavours, versatile enough to develop in greater depth during long months in the bottle.
- Item #: i_301610Bottle Size: 750mlORGANICALLY FARMED
This is a special wine for Badia a Coltibuono, an homage to the native grape varieties of Tuscany. Made from Mammolo, Ciliegiolo, Pugnitello, Colorino, Sanforte, Malvasia Nera, Canaiolo, Foglia Tonda, and, of course, Sangiovese! Native yeast fermented and aged in barrel individually, then blended according to quality and balance. So as to not cover up the quality fruit too much, mostly previously used barrels are used for a totl of 18-20 months.
WINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS - "What happens when you blend the indigenous grapes Mammolo, Sangiovese, Canaiolo, Ciliegiolo, Colorino, Foglia Tonda, Malvasia Nera, Sanforte and Pugnitello? You get the 2015 Montebello. This is a beautifully intense and curious wine in that it challenges you to come up with precise clues to identify the individual grapes. The bouquet is broadly projected like a wide-screen television, with cherry, blackberry, spice, tar and licorice. The depth and complexity of this vintage is particularly attractive. There is crisp acidity at the end of this mid-weight delivery that makes this wine great for fatty cuts of beef or lamb. This wine may not be for everyone, but I definitely got a charge here. "
- Item #: i_302191Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93Wine Spectator: 93James Suckling: 93WINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS , VINOUS 93 POINTS, JAMES SUCKLING 93 POINTS, WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS
"The 2014 Ilatraia is a terrific wine that represents a blend of 40% Cabernet Sauvignon, 40% Petit Verdot and 20% Cabernet Franc. This is a darkly saturated and rich Tuscan blend that delivers so much pleasure on all levels. There is softness, intensity, complexity and length. This is a stunning wine with excellent engineering and execution. This is definitely a wine I will remember."
- Item #: i_381754Bottle Size: 750mlA beautiful, impeccably balanced wine. There is lovely transparency and elegance to the fruit in an expression of Sangiovese that offers gorgeous roundness in a mid-weight, elegant style. The finish is long, soft and caressing. Even better, this is an outstanding value!
- Item #: i_301646Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95Il Toro is an elegant blend of Syrah and Petit Verdot that expresses the benefits of a moderate climate such as Tuscany's, where vines grow naturally without needing irrigation and yield an excellent quantity and quality of fruit. The resulting wine is a bold Super Tuscan that attests to the fact that French varietals can thrive in Tuscany and give exceptional quality, whilst retaining an undeniably Tuscan character.
Beautiful diversity, density in the nose: brambleberry, raspberry, flambéed cherries are tempered by scents of scrub oak hillside, wet nursery and sea side campfire. The palate starts lush with bright red berries and white pepper, leading to firm tannins and forward acidity-- excellent structure! The strength and grip of this bull is lifted by dark red, spicy fruits: plum, redcurrant, cherry cola. Bellisimo!
WINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS - "A blend of Petit Verdot and Syrah, the 2016 Il Toro is a muscular animal that boldly exposes dark fruit, blackberry preserves, dried cherry, spice, leather and spicy cedar. The blend is unique because it pairs the volume and spicy intensity of Syrah with the density, darkness and structure of Petit Verdot. Softer aromas of sweet fruit cede quickly to tar, grilled herb and rich plum. Pair this wine with grilled T-bone steak. This is a bold and expressive wine that opens a new chapter for Filippo Chia and his talented team."
- Item #: i_302344Bottle Size: 750mlRipe dark fruits, notes of telltale Montalcino underbrush and herbs, nimble acidity, and satisfying tannins make this Rosso di Montalcino drink like a true “baby Brunello.” A blend of the best organically grown grapes, this Rosso spends about 18 months in barrel before bottling (regulations require that Brunello spends two years in barrel, making this wine akin to Montalcino’s more famous sibling).
- Item #: i_305718Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 9275% Syrah & 25% Sangiovese
WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "First produced in the early 2000s, Il Borro now has a very good track record with this entry-level red blend. The 2016 Pian di Nova is 75% Syrah and 25% Sangiovese that goes into mostly neutral barrique for 12 months. This happy vintage is particularly fresh and direct, with a real sense of brightness and energy in terms of its primary fruit. The wine is medium dark in appearance with a mid-weight feel and plenty of fresh fruit and soft tannins to follow. I can't imagine a better choice for your favorite pasta dish."
- Item #: i_303570Bottle Size: 750mlSangiovese (Morellino), 5% Syrah, 5% Alicante, 5% Ciliegiolo
Winery Notes - "Juicy dark fruit mingles with spice and licorice on the palate. The bright, ripe cherry and soft texture."
Mario Batali, Joe and Lidia Bastianich have partnered to create this wonderful Morellino di Scansano. The La Mozza Vineyard is near Scansano, a village in southern Tuscany, southwest of Montalcino. Perazzi is named after the fruit trees that grow on the estate and bear a pear-like fruit, which is depicted on the label. In Tuscany, the Sangiovese grape is known by several names, from Chianti to Brunello to Morellino, depending on where it is grown. Morellino means "little blackish one" because of the dark color of the grape. In the hot Maremma zone, the grapes are exposed to a more Mediterranean climate with enough heat to tone down Sangiovese's signature acidity, producing juicier fruit and a jammy flavor. I Perazzi was created to be unlike most other Morellinos, which see little or no time in oak.
- Item #: i_305856Bottle Size: 750mlA delicious pure Sangiovese from Montalcino that emphasizes fresh fruit and quaffability! The vineyards for San Biagio, though not classified to produce Brunello or Rosso, are farmed in the same way as their other Sangiovese sites. The vineyards range in elevation from 300 to 350 meters above sea level. Fermented in stainless steel on the skins for 14-18 days, then racked and clarified by decantation rather than filtration prior to bottling.
Made from the youngest Sangiovese vines, the juice is treated gently with cool temperatures & unoaked; the resulting wine is driven by fresh red and black cherry, with an appetizing nuttiness reminiscent of walnut and a subtle dried herbal quality to the tannins. While the 14% abv provides a vinous warmth, the body is lightened up by a bright acidity; the final result is the "sunlight held together by water" that Tuscan native Galileo Galilei wrote of. It's a supremely accessible and uncomplicated style of wine for Montalcino. This is the wine you serve lightly chilled (58-60)F.
- Item #: i_302195Bottle Size: 750mlJames Suckling: 97JAMES SUCKLING 97 POINTS
Luce was the first wine from Montalcino made by blending Sangiovese and Merlot grapes. It was thanks to the collaboration of the Marchesi de' Frescobaldi and Robert Mondavi Families that came up with the idea of matching the roundness and softness of Merlot with the elegance and structure of Sangiovese in the land of Brunello di Montalcino, the worldwide famous Italian wine made strictly from Sangiovese grapes. Since 2002, Lamberto Frescobaldi and the Frescobaldi family are completely responsible for this project. In the land of Brunello di Montalcino they continue to write the history of Luce, a Super Tuscan wine appreciated all around the world.
- Item #: i_303489Bottle Size: 750MLWINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "Lots of big, dark fruit and a lack of water in the grapes define the unique personality of the 2017 Le Volte dell'Ornellaia. This is a highly extracted and succulent expression that delivers abundant fruit sweetness. The key to this vintage was waiting for proper ripeness, says estate manager and winemaker Axel Heinz. "The grapes continued to get smaller throughout the summer," he says. That lack of water resulted in very concentrated fruit, giving this entry-level wine a rich and modern feel as a result."
- Item #: i_301849Bottle Size: 750mlORGANICALLY FARMED
Rosso de Veo is a selection of the Bea estate's younger Sagrantino vines, principally from the "Cerrete" vineyard which graces the highest point in Montefalco, between 1300 and 1500 feet above sea level. The soil is clay and limestone infused with small pebbles from an ancient riverbed. This wine is vinified in a similar fashion to the single vineyard Sagrantino with a long cuvaison which extends forty to fifty days. The wine is then aged one year in stainless steel tanks, two years in large oak barrels and another year in bottle before release. The wine is not filtered.
- Item #: i_302230Bottle Size: 750ml70% Sangiovese, 13% Sagrantino, 15% Colorino
WINE ENTHUSIAST - "Ripe berry, charred underbrush, leather and clove aromas lead the way. The juicy, generous palate offers crushed raspberry, fleshy Marasca cherry and a hint of baking spice alongside taut tannins that give the close some unexpected grip." - KERIN O'KEEFE
Perticaia, located in the heart of Montefalco in Umbria, is the source of some of central Italy's best wines. This family estate draws its inspiration not only from the past (Perticaia means "plow" in Etruscan) but from the future, employing both natural and modern techniques to craft wines that are dazzling in their complexity, flavor profile and structure.
- Item #: i_381600Bottle Size: 750mlDecanter: 95 PointsLike many of our customers, we love everyday wines; you can open and enjoy without too much thought...and when they're this good for the price, we're going to let you know! The Piccini wine family put together a unique blend they call "Memoro" from regions they represent around Italy. It works so well that it won a gold medal at the prestigious Decanter World Wine Awards with a score of 95 points!
For those interested in the wine's makeup, it's dominated by the sweetly-fruited Primitivo from Puglia and bright, brambly Montepulciano from Abruzzo; rounding it out is Nero d'Avola from Sicily with earthy licorice and tobacco notes, and a fresh Merlot from Veneto in the North.
Try a bottle with your next weekday night meal!
DECANTER GOLD 95 POINTS - "Intense nose of bramble fruits, licorice, leather and tobacco. Very nice palate, with smooth and elegant tannins, balanced residual sugar and lingering finish."
Winery Notes - Wine flows through the historical veins of every corner of Italy. We choose a compass rose for our label to send an invitation to experience in one bottle four different grape varietals, each typical expression of a distinct Italian region. Veneto, Abruzzo, Puglia and Sicily.
40% Primitivo, 30% Montepulciano, 20% Nero d'Avola.
- Item #: i_305709Bottle Size: 750mlThe wines of Quintarelli are more a celebration of a region and its history and techniques than of specific grape varieties or terroirs. They are really more about the art of the blend, the patience of extended aging in cask and bottle, and the use of appassimento and ripasso techniques to further enhance complexity and age-worthiness. That’s why Cà del Merlo as a single-vineyard expression is a bit of an anomaly. Rather than being a single-vineyard wine, it is the opportunity for the Quintarellis to have a little more freedom with the blend outside of the school of Valpolicella. Always more primary than the Valpolicella, it showcases dark, palate-staining fruit that one must marvel at, given the wine’s age. Cà del Merlo is succulent and luscious, balanced beautifully by the imprint of the stony limestone and basalt hills on which the grapes are grown.
Organic and Biodynamic
Corvina, Rondinella, Cabernet Sauvignon
Taste - Chocolate, mocha, fig, earth, raisin, cranberry, plum, currant, blackberry, cherry, bell pepper, olive, asparagus, spice, ginger, oak and vanilla Nose - Chocolate, mocha, fig, earth, raisin, cranberry, plum, currant, blackberry, cherry, cedar and cigar box
- Item #: i_302509Bottle Size: 750mlThe latest release of the fantastic Baracchi O’Lillo Super Tuscan has arrived. In just a couple of years, this wine has become a staff and customer favorite and it’s easy to see why. The latest release of this red blend is another stunning wine, offering great purity of fruit and tremendous flavor. This creative blend showcases layers of perfectly ripened dark fruit flavors including currant, blackberry and black cherry. The rich fruit of this full-bodied Super Tuscan hits all the right notes in a very crowd pleasing style.
The Baracchi estate has become the most prominent estate winery in Cortona, and one of the most recognized in Tuscany. The stunning labels reflect the family’s passion for falconry. Recent press has created a strong demand for Baracchi wines in the U.S. and solidified the brand’s position as one of the most sought after newcomers from Italy on the market. So delicious on its own, this wine also pairs beautifully with a range of foods, including Italian favorites and meat dishes.
- Item #: i_303468Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 91James Suckling: 92JAMEs SUCKLING 92 POINTS - "A juicy and ripe red with dried berry and chocolate. Medium body with chewy and soft tannins. Flavorful finish. Drink or hold. "
WINE ADVOCATE 91 POINTS - "The 2015 Maremma Toscana Le Sughere di Frassinello is a great value blend of 50% Sangioveto, 25% Merlot and 25% Cabernet Sauvignon (aged in French oak for one year). This wine boasts a proven track record for its consistent value and accessibility and can be counted on for both. It releases a steady flow of dark fruit and spice aromas that build in momentum. The mouthfeel is generous and softly velvety in texture, especially in this warm vintage."
We've been following the Rocca di Frassinello estate for a number of years; bring Chateau Lafite into a joint venture on the Tuscan coast with Chianti's much heralded Castellare estate and you have our attention. Time and again, our favorite bottling from Frassinello has been the "Le Sughere di Frassinello." "Le Sughere" is meant as second wine from the large Frassinello estate, next to the more age-worthy top wine simply called "Rocca di Frassinello." However, there is so much more charm and immediate pleasure in "Le Sughere di Frassinello" that we always want to go back this wine.
- Item #: i_301221Bottle Size: 750mlFrassinello is a project that brings together Eric de Rothschild, proprietor of Chateau Lafite Rothschild, with Cellai and Panerai. In addition to his famous name, Eric de Rothschild brings an outsider's passion and zeal to the project, whereas Allesandro Cellai provides the local know-how. We've had some great success this year introducing our customers to Rocca di Frassinello's second wine, "Le Sughere di Frassinello," and we've been eagerly waiting for this-the estate's "Gran Vin," a blend of 60% Sangiovese, 20% Merlot and 20% Cabernet Sauvignon. The wine shows something of Lafite's famed elegance with notes of cedar, gravelly minerals and pencil shaving alongside a frame that combines black currant and dried red cherry notes in a regal and enticing finish.
- Item #: i_301238Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 98WINE ADVOCATE 98 POINTS - "The 2016 Bolgheri Superiore Ornellaia is a wine of extreme complexity and precision. It offers monumental depth with profound layers of black fruit, coffee, licorice and baking chocolate. I tasted this 2016 vintage beside the less-impactful 2015 vintage (which was reviewed last year). These two editions are very different when compared side to side, and this 2016 release is clearly superior in terms of the quality, clarity and intensity of its offerings. This Ornellaia delivers glossy shine and a polished texture that segues to important richness, concentration and textural fiber. It wraps thickly over the palate, imparting waves of sweet dark fruit and dark spice that linger for many long minutes. This beautiful wine is hitting the market now, but collectors will want to put it straight into their cellars for safekeeping."
ANTONIO GALLONI; VINOUS 96+ POINTS - "Just bottled, the 2016 Ornellaia is a dense, powerful wine. Naturally, the 2016 is just at the beginning of its life, but I am struck by how polished the tannins are for such a young wine. Ornellaia is at its best starting around age ten, but there is little doubt the 2016 is a hugely promising wine. Black cherry, chocolate, plum, new leather and a range of spice notes all build into a veritable crescendo of aromas, flavors and textures." - Antonio Galloni (Mar 2019)
WINE SPECTATOR 96 POINTS - "Black currant, plum, cedar, lead pencil and toasty, spicy elements highlight this intense red. Muscular tannins line the extended finish, leaving a peppery impression. The parts are all there but need time to integrate. Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Cabernet Franc and Petit Verdot. Best from 2023 through 2043. From Italy." — B.S. (May 22, 2019) Tenuta dell'Ornellaia was founded in 1981, in a beautiful, unspoiled part of Tuscany. From the outset, their mission was to produce outstanding wines. Since then passion and dedication, coupled with a unique terroir and an extraordinary microclimate, has brought the Tenuta dell'Ornellaia's prestigious labels great success and recognition as one of the most important wineries in the world.
- Item #: i_382491Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96+History and Heritage: A Timeless Landscape
Tenutu di Arceno has been a center for winemaking and agriculture for more than a thousand years. The estate is located near the fork of two rivers: the Ambra, which flows to Florence, and the Ombrone, which flows to the Mediterranean. In ancient times, this area was a nexus of the Etruscan civilization. In honor of its history, the name Arceno comes from the Etruscan word Archè, meaning "point of origin".
The Tenuta di Arceno eventually made its way into the hands of two historically prominent and well-respected Italian families – the Del Taja and Piccolomini. The Del Taja family began purchasing the land parcel by parcel in 1504, expanding the estate and adding architectural improvements. In 1829 the Del Tajas sold the property to the Piccolomini, one of the most illustrious families of Siena, who created the splendid romantic gardens, lake, and outdoor structures that still stand today.? Continuing its history of family ownership, Tenuta di Arceno was acquired by Jess Jackson and Barbara Banke in 1994.
Tenuta di Arceno: A Modern Days Estate with a Rich History
Acquired by Barbara Banke and Jess Jackson in 1994, Tenuta di Arceno is on one of the region's most historic estates, comprised of 2,500 acres (1,011 hectares), only 220 (89 hectares) of which are planted to vines. The vineyards of Arceno possess an enviable diversity of elevations, facings, soils and meso-climates, a situation that is ideal for the cultivation of Sangiovese as well as the "international" varieties—Cabernet Franc, Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon primary among them.
WINE ADVOCATE 96+ POINTS - "The 2013 Arcanum is a blend of 73% Cabernet Franc with smaller parts Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon. The Cabernet Franc element is obviously strongest, and you get steely notes of black fruit follow by wild sage and rosemary oil. This is a powerful and thickly layered red wine that pushes the boundaries of extract and intensity, especially for a Tuscan red wine. Off the top of my head, I can count maybe ten wines from the region that take on such a full-bodied and opulent approach. This wine should age forward for many years to come."
Arcanum is the pinnacle of the estate’s offerings. Based on Cabernet Franc, the true signature of the estate, this remarkable wine is built to age yet is drinkable young, offering aromas of violets, roses and raspberries, with long and delicate spice notes; it is a wine that is seductive yet subtle. Arcanum is sourced primarily from the Apparita and Belvedere blocks of Cabernet Franc. With superb exposure and sandy clay soils, each year these blocks shine to produce the finest expression of the variety, and the leading wine of the estate.
- Item #: i_302947Bottle Size: 750MLCabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Cabernet Franc, and Syrah.
WINERY NOTES - "Insoglio del Cinghiale is our foundation wine. A supple and early maturing wine, Insoglio is a distinctive and distinguished introduction to our project. A medium intense nose of dark fruits, blackberries, some floral notes and a hint of spicy oak in the background. A light to medium rich body with a fine structure and balance. Ready to drink!"
- Item #: i_301456Bottle Size: 750mlMostly Cabernet Sauvignon, backed up by Merlot and Syrah.
WINE ADVOCATE 91 POINTS -"This is another extremely popular wine that is easily found up and down the Tuscan Coast. This red blend (with the largest part of the blend going to Cabernet Sauvignon) opens to a soft and velvety texture. The 2017 Bolgheri Rosso Il Bruciato offers some noticeable ripeness with black cherry, prune and raisin. But ultimately, the wine shows a good level of freshness because the acidity in the grapes was concentrated (like everything else in this hot vintage)."
- Item #: i_302316Bottle Size: 750MLJames Suckling: 94Wine Enthusiast: 93 PointsFrom Tenuta San Guido, makers of the iconic Sassicaia, comes a wine made for less serious occasions, but maintains the high class of winemaking. Aged in a mix of French and American oak for 15 months, the 2017 edition is made from 60% Cabernet Sauvignon, 40 % Merlot.
JAMES SUCKLING 94 POINTS - "Fresh herbs, cedar, black raspberries, orange peel and citrus. Very balanced and focused on the palate, thanks to cutting acidity, but with firm, chewy tannins that envelop a plethora of red fruit. Drink now."
WINE ENTHUSIAST 93 POINTS - "Subtle aromas of cedar, cassis, tobacco and a whiff of camphor slowly take shape in the glass. A blend of 60% Cabernet Sauvignon and 40% Merlot, the tightly knit, elegant palate delivers dried black cherry, red currant, blood orange and licorice while fine-grained tannins provide tight support. It closes on a coffee-bean note. -Kerin O'Keefe"