- Item #: i_303990Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93Wine Spectator: 94The Conterno family has been making wine since the 1700’s and Aldo Conterno is regarded as one of the greatest producers of Piedmont. As a young man, Aldo worked with his brother, Giovanni before striking out on his own in 1969. He developed a reputation as an innovator with a focus on quality and attention to detail and passed this dynamism on to his three sons who now run the business.
Aldo’s small property on the hill of Bussia in Monforte D’Alba has grown into a marvelous 25 hectare estate. The Aldo Conterno Barolo’s are intense and concentrated examples of perfectly ripened Nebbiolo grapes from superior terroirs, grown at a gentle altitude that allows for optimum finesse. The three top 'Crus' on the famed Bussia slope produce the three flagship Barolos of the estate.
Radiant and succulent red and blue fruits, new saddle leather, cigar wrapper, violet petals, baking spices and loam waft from the glass of this spellbinding ’13 Barolo Bussia. This wine shows impeccable balance, unfurling on the palate with energy and focus to reveal a seamless structure and silky texture.
While you’ll want to drink this wine right away, time in the cellar will make it more harmonious and refined. Once simply Aldo Conterno Barolo and now called Barolo Bussia, this entry-level Barolo from Aldo Conterno has garnered a reputation for being a generous, open, genial wine; it’s a perennial IWM client favorite. Deriving from 12 acres of plots in Bussia Soprano with vines aging between 35 and 40 years, the carefully selected grapes ferment for thirty days, and the wine ages for 27 months in cask, followed by twelve months in bottle before release.
WINE SPECTATOR 94 POINTS - "A fragrant style, offering rose, cherry, earth, mineral and cumin aromas and flavors. Young and tense, yet shows fine potential, with complex flavors, good structure and a long aftertaste. Best from 2023 through 2040."
WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "It may be a so-called entry level Barolo, but the 2013 Barolo Bussia definitely delivers the goods. Fruit is sourced from three separate points within the larger Bussia cru. These sites are characterized by clay soils with southeast exposures and approximately 25-year-old vines. The quality of fruit is very intense and defined with dark cherry and dried blackberry. Yet the mouthfeel is ethereal, light and buoyant. Keeping in line with the vintage, the tannins are firm and slightly rigid. However, they are well absorbed by the exuberant nature of the fruit. The wine's personality is reminiscent of the Barolo Bussia Cicala."
- Item #: i_303352Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95James Suckling: 95WINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS - "The Altesino 2015 Brunello di Montalcino shows beautiful depth and latitude, with broad fruit aromas of dark cherry and cassis that recall the warmth and golden sunlight of the vintage. The wine is deceivingly streamlined in terms of mouthfeel, but that slim and buttoned-down backbone supports a broad range of flavors and sensations, from lavender essence and camphor ash to moist soil and toasted spice. All of these elements are delivered with impressive harmony and unity, and I expect that this wine will continue on a slow, steady and satisfying aging trajectory over the next 10 years or more. Fruit is sourced from across 21 hectares of vines with tufaceous limestone soils and Alberese rock, which contributes to the freshness and balanced structure of the wine. The wine was bottled in June 2019 (with 150,000 bottles made), and this wine was released in January 2020."
JAMES SUCKLING 95 POINTS - "Terracotta, earth, iron filings, cedar and leather make for an undergrowth-driven Brunello 2015, which doesn’t fall short in the fruit department either, where there are red plums and red cherries. The tannins are neatly stacked, one on top of the other, with tidy acidity drawing in vibrant fruit and keeping it taut throughout. Balanced and stylish. Drink from 2023."
- Item #: i_303700Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95+James Suckling: 95WINE ADVOCATE 95+ POINTS - "This is a terrific wine and one of the new releases from Montalcino that I happily include on a short list of top recommendations. The Argiano 2015 Brunello di Montalcino shows a very lively bouquet that is already singing despite the young age of this new release. The wine opens to a dark ruby color with garnet highlights. The bouquet shows a large span of wild berry, earth, licorice spice and medicinal herb aromas. This vintage also reveals a pretty floral character with dried rose potpourri and lavender buds. After fermentation, the wine is aged slowly for 30 months in large oak botte (including 10-, 30- and 50-hectoliter capacity), thus restricting oxygen and gently slowing its evolution. However, the 2015 vintage is naturally expressive and exuberant, and that's the main takeaway here."
JAMES SUCKLING 95 POINTS - "Very floral on the nose with plums, rose petals and freshly sliced porcini mushrooms. The palate is tight and compressed with beautiful ripe fruit, wet earth and cool, stone flavors. A structured and impressive wine."
- Item #: i_305889Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93James Suckling: 95Every once in a while, a wine walks through the door (not literally, but you get the idea...) and just blows the room away. This is definitely one of those wines. Our Italian Wine Buyer, Patty Quick, believes this is the best Brunello she's ever had in terms of quality-to-price ratio. The juice is outstanding, the price reasonable and the critics are effusive in their praise— creating a fortuitous trifecta for those with access to it. This wine won't last so move quickly!
JAMES SUCKLING 95 POINTS - "Plum and ripe-berry with cedar and fresh-mushroom aromas and flavors. Full body, round and juicy tannins and a long and flavorful finish. Hints of chocolate. Shows intensity and focus. Drink or hold."
WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "Caparzo is one of two properties in Montalcino owned by the beautiful and charming Elisabetta Gnudi Angelini. The other property is Altesino. This wine, the Caparzo 2015 Brunello di Montalcino is a very classic interpretation that delivers the goods without any distracting bells or whistles. The wine opens to red and purple fruit aromas with background tones of dried herb, potting soil, cedar wood and light spice. Fruit comes from a site with heavier clay soils, and you get hints of that extra density and richness here. This vintage offers all you need in a model Brunello from a very beautiful and generous vintage. I always admire the wines of Caparzo for their accessible and immediate drinking style. Some 160,000 bottles were corked in August 2019, and the wine hit the market in January 2020."
About the Winery - Caparzo, with owner Elisabetta Gnudi Angelini and winemaker Massimo Bracalente, aims to make top quality products using meticulous and traditional techniques, while at the same time applying a modern outlook in its commercial relations with efficiency and capability. More than thirty years have passed since the first vines were planted and the first steps in winemaking taken. In this period, Caparzo, bolstered by its background in the Brunello tradition and the different terroirs of the area, has proved its ability to produce wines with a creative flair and spirit of innovation that achieves top standards in quality. This explains why Caparzo wines have been chosen by the most famous restaurants in the world and are served at international meetings and official State banquets.
- Item #: i_305454Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94Vinous Media: 94 PointsJames Suckling: 94Decanter: 94 PointsWith the 2015 Great Vintage that just arrived, we are excited to share with you another great showing of Casanova di Neri Brunello! And with the press of this vintage just ramping up, we suggest you get enough to put a few away!
WINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS - "The Neri family has created a classic expression of Sangiovese from a classic vintage, while remaining faithful to the house style. In a nutshell, these wines always tend to offer dark plum, clove and fig confit over the tiny berry and blue flower aromas you get from the traditionalists. That said, this Brunello needs ample time to open, and I suggest you splash it into the decanter. The Casanova di Neri 2015 Brunello di Montalcino (this is the one with the white label) stays safely within your expectation of the vintage with its variety-driven aromas of wild berry, licorice, blue flower and balsam herb. This wine sees fruit sourced from a vineyard on the northeast side of Montalcino, with Galestro soils ranging from 330 to 480 meters above sea level. Some 95,376 bottles were made. It was bottled in June 2019, and it hit the market in January 2020. You might want more from the aromatics (while you wait for the bouquet to come around), but this wine goes gangbusters in terms of mid-palate and overall texture."
ANTONIO GALLONI; VINOUS 94 POINTS - "Good deep red. Saline aromas and flavors of red cherry, blueberries, herbs, blood orange and sweet spices. Smooth and long on the bright, very sweet finish. Really quite good."
DECANTER 94 POINTS - "The Casanova di Neri estate is located in the northeastern zone of Torrenieri. Besides five distinct sites there, the Neri family also has three vineyards in the south between the villages of Sant'Angelo in Colle and Castelnuovo dell'Abate. The 'white label' as this Brunello is called blends plots from the cooler Torrenieri area. It is mid-weight and classy, offering gleaming bright, fresh red cherry flavours. Hints of rust and warm stone as well as subtle sweet spice add complexity. Tactile but fine sandy tannins give appropriate support and the finish is vibrant and perfumed."
JAMES SUCKLING 94 POINTS - "There’s beauty and drinkability to this wine that really is enticing with blueberry and cherry aromas, as well as hints of hot stone and licorice. Medium to full body, integrated tannins and a fresh and polished finish. Shows focus and brightness. Very drinkable now, but better in a year or two. Try in 2021."
- Item #: i_305898Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 98+James Suckling: 99WINE ADVOCATE 98+ POINTS - "Giacomo Neri and his family have crafted a wine that impresses from the first sip forward (especially when the wine is given ample time to open). The Casanova di Neri 2015 Brunello di Montalcino Tenuta Nuova must be treated with patience, and that patience is returned with many great rewards. Blackberry, plum and summer cherry are slowly folded into lasting flavors of spice, leather and beautiful balsam or medical herb. These are always a distinctive signature of this estate. The aromas flow with seamless transitions, and that fluid and ever-changing nature of the bouquet is what helps to build intensity and staying power. Fruit is harvested from a south- and southeast-facing slope at 250 to 300 meters above sea level. The soils are mixed loosely with crushed rock, allowing access to air and moisture. Indeed, pretty mineral accents appear as the wine takes on more air in the glass. What stands out most in this Brunello is the quality of the bouquet that is rigid and firm, yet not excessively so. You feel the structural texture of the wine as it sits firmly over the palate, yet there is mobility and softness to its many moving parts. I tasted this wine at various intervals over a 24-hour period. Tenuta Nuova was bottled in June 2018, and some 70,032 bottles were released." - Monica Larner (31st Jan 2020)
JAMES SUCKLING 99 POINTS - "The purity of fruit in this wine really strikes you with black cherries, combined with sage, lavender and rosemary. Extremely aromatic. Full-bodied, yet so tight and polished with incredible tannin structure that gives the wine an endless mouth feel of caressing tannins, acidity and fruit. There’s a fabulous saltiness and oyster-shell undertone to the fruit. Unique. Drinkable already, but this year there’s the structure to last decades."
- Item #: i_302485Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 97Wine Enthusiast: 95 Points85% Cabernet Sauvignon & 15% Petit Verdot
WINE SPECTATOR 97 POINTS - "A focused, balanced style, evoking pure cherry, raspberry, mineral and floral aromas and flavors, this is elegant and fluid yet dense and well-structured, ending with lively acidity and dusty tannins. The finish goes on and on. Cabernet Sauvignon and Petit Verdot. Drink now through 2025. 1,833 cases made."
WINE ENTHUSIAST 95 POINTS - #61 of Top 100 Cellar Selections Wines of 2017 Wine Enthusiast:
"A focused, balanced style, evoking pure cherry, raspberry, mineral and floral aromas and flavors, this is elegant and fluid yet dense and well-structured, ending with lively acidity and dusty tannins. The finish goes on and on. Cabernet Sauvignon and Petit Verdot. Drink now through 2025. 1,833 cases made."
ANTONIO GALLONI; VINOUS 94 POINTS - "The 2012 d'Alceo is sweet, round and enveloping. Silky tannins give the 2012 much of its shape, while adding to the wine's appeal. Plum, black cherry, menthol, licorice and sweet spices wrap around the fleshy, succulent finish. Like the Sammarco, d'Alceo is a bit restrained in this vintage."
- Item #: i_301929Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 93+WINE ENTHUSIAST 97 POINTS - "Underbrush, tilled soil, blue flower, pipe tobacco and wild berry aromas mingle together with leather and menthol. Firmly structured and enveloping, the delicious palate doles out raspberry compote, dried cherry, baking spice and star anise, while tightly woven but fine-grained tannins provide support. It's nicely balanced, with bright acidity. It's already tempting, but hold for even more complexity. Drink 2023–2043."
- Item #: i_301154Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 92James Suckling: 95ORGANICALLY FARMED
JAMES SUCKLING 95 POINTS - "A very fresh 2017 with plenty of tight and linear tannins that give the wine energy and drive. Medium to full body. Racy finish. This is impressive. Fantastic texture and complexity on the palate with purple fruit and wet earth."
WINE SPECTATOR 92 POINTS - "Rich, with black cherry, plum, iron and violet aromas and flavors, this red is suave and multidimensional. Vibrant and balanced, featuring a lingering finish that echoes the fruit and adds a spice accent. Best from 2021 through 2040."
Over the years, the wines of Tuscan winery, Felsina, have been a staple at Hi-Time Wine Cellars by wowing us with their consistent quality across the range and vintages. Domenico Poggiali was taking a big risk starting the winery in 1966 when the market for serious Chianti was nowhere near what it is today, but that helped earn them a place at the top: building a reputation bit by bit over the decades, employing the highest quality of winemaking available even when it was uncertain that it would be profitable. It doesn't hurt that they ultimately employed one of the top Italian winemaking consultants, Franco Bernabei, who played a pivotal role in the Tuscan wine renaissance!
The Felsina lineup has been particularly strong in the beautiful back-to-back 2015 & 2016 vintages in Tuscany, and the reviews are proof. Our current lineup of 2016s share a common thread: intensity of flavors, a balance of muscle and elegance in a well-structured package. They are all made from 100% Sangiovese, organically farmed, and are made in a "modern" style, with a careful use of small French oak barrels.
- Item #: i_305397Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94Wine Spectator: 93WINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS - "The 2013 Brunello di Montalcino walks a very fine line between elegance and finesse. Those may seem like two analogous terms, but this wine teaches you that they are not. The bouquet offers tonic and buoyant tones of wild berry, blueberry, dried herb and licorice. Each is elegant in its own right, but together they form a nuanced and finessed whole. Le Potazzine does very nicely in the hot vintages, but it delivers unexpected surprises (like this wine) in the cooler ones."
WINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS - "Heady flavors of plum, macerated cherry, sweet spices, leather and earth mark this powerful red. The dense tannins are well-matched to the fruit, texture and breadth. Exuberance wins over subtlety here. Best from 2022 through 2036."
- Item #: i_301159Bottle Size: 750mlJames Suckling: 95JAMES SUCKLING 95 POINTS - "This opens beautifully to reveal violets, blueberries, licorice, citrus, oyster shell and orange rind. So velvety and polished, but with real depth and structure. Medium-to full-bodied with delightful fruit and a long finish. Drink in 2021 but already so satisfying."
- Item #: i_301557Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 94James Suckling: 9490% Sangiovese, 10% Canaiolo & Colorino
WINE SPECTATOR 94 POINTS - "This is packed with black currant, black cherry, floral and juniper aromas and flavors. The tannins are assertive, matched to bracing acidity and a touch of heat. A bit boisterous today, but this should settle down nicely over time."
JAMES SUCKLING 94 POINTS - "A fresh and bright red with sliced-orange and black-cherry aromas and flavors. Medium body. Tight and compact. Long and flavorful finish. Will age beautifully. "
- Item #: i_302029Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96WINE ADVOCATE 96 POINTS - "This is an instant classic, and that may be because of the smart decision to harvest later than usual. The 2013 Barolo Riserva Bussia Vigna Mondoca is elegant and profound with lots of beauty at every stage of its depths. The Vigna Mondoca is located more or less in the middle of the expansive Bussia cru, which has very thin and light soils that ultimately aid in the quick ripening of the fruit. Historically, this has resulted in super fruit intensity and delicious black fruit flavors. In this edition, we also get more tilled earth and stunning mineral tones. This is a beautiful Barolo Riserva."
- Item #: i_302315Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95James Suckling: 97JAMES SUCKLING 97 POINTS - "This shows fantastic depth and intensity. Full-bodied, very balanced and beautiful. A rich and powerful wine. Watch this. Better than the 2015. A blend of cabernet sauvignon and petit Verdot."
WINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS - "The 2016 Sapaio shows abundant dark chocolate and spice all balanced out by the rich sweetness of the fruit. Blackberry, plum and dark currant emerge from the bouquet. The harvest required that much of the fruit for this wine come from vineyards in Bibbona (outside the Bolgheri appellation), and that's why this wine is classified as a Toscana IGT. The results are well-balanced, fragrant and absolutely seamless. Some 20,000 bottles were made."
- Item #: i_302020Bottle Size: 750mlTo the Prugnolo Gentile grapes, which characterize the district of Montepulciano, we dedicate the most careful care to express all the potential of a territory with a recognized wine vocation. The result is our Vino Nobile di Montepulciano, structured, long-lived with intense aromas that faithfully represents its Tuscan origins and the ancient link between earth, man and culture. Blend: 85% Prugnolo Gentile, 15% Colorino, Canaiolo and Merlot
- Item #: i_301972Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 95Wine Enthusiast: 95 PointsWe're excited to announce the arrival of the 2016 Barbaresco from the historic Produttori del Barbaresco, which is a perfect introduction to the beauty of Nebbiolo, the Barbaresco terroir, and the character of this wonderful vintage. The 2016 growing season was another great year for Nebbiolo grapes in the region, creating contrasts with the open, fruit-driven 2015s. There are the powerful aromas and flavors of wild red fruits (think red currant, raspberry, and cherry), the rose and violet, and the spices like anise and white pepper, all to be expected in a classical Nebbiolo. But in 2016, there is a notable finesse in how those flavors come across the palate, and in how they interplay with the wine's structure; the firmness of the fine, enshrouding tannin and the racy spine of acidity make this a serious wine.
Delicious now with an hour decant, the 2016 Produttori del Barbaresco will continue to soften and evolve over 20 years if you choose to put a few in the cellar. This kind of wine is perfect with flavorful, complex and slightly rich dishes like mushroom risotto, ragu' (meat sauce) with polenta or pasta, roast lamb, and moderately aged cheeses (nothing too sharp).
The Produttori del Barbaresco is historically important in Piedmont, but it's also a rare example of a cooperative of growers making superlative wine. Before 1894, the Nebbiolo grapes grown in the village of Barbaresco in the north of Italy were sold to the neighboring village of Barolo. It was then that Domizio Cavazza, of the Royal Enological School of Alba, created the first cooperative with nine Barbaresco vineyards, and made this unique and pure expression of the grape from his native village. He recognized the singularity of the terroir here, and the tradition of Barbaresco was born.
125 years later, the wines from the Produttori del Barbaresco cooperative are recognized as being among the greatest expressions of the Nebbiolo grape on the planet. Fifty families, each with generations of knowledge and passion, work together using their collective 250 acres to make the numerous single vineyard reserve bottlings as well as the wine we're featuring, their flagship "classic" Barbaresco. The key distinction is that the "classic" Barbaresco is made from a selection of younger vines from various sites, and is crafted to reflect the growing season in a balanced and approachable fashion.
WINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS - "The 2016 Barbaresco is a tight and beautiful wine that will require more time to unwind and soften. This beautifully balanced vintage is characterized by a tight inner core of fruit that underlines the graceful aging capacity of these wines. The 2016 is shaping up to be one destined for long cellar aging. Now in its youth, the wine offers wild berry, rose and licorice aromas."
WINE ENTHUSIAST 95 POINTS; CELLAR SELECTION - "Enticing aromas of violet, woodland berry, loose vineyard soil, wild mint and a hint of spearmint shape the intensely fragrant nose. The tense, young palate is still nervous but already boasts finesse, showing wild raspberry, crunchy red cherry, white pepper and star anise. Firm, refined tannins and racy acidity give it a linear, almost austere elegance, while bright acidity keeps it focused and balanced. Drink 2026-2036."
- Item #: i_301026Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 92Organic and Biodynamic Growing Methods
WINE SPECTATOR 92 POINTS - "A rich, round red, sporting cherry, plum, earth and mineral flavors, backed by a vibrant structure. The tannins are assertive, yet folded into the overall body and texture. Shows fine length and harmony."
There should be a synergy between the earth and all growing things, man included. At Salcheto they try to respect this relationship on a daily basis, as they attempt to maintain a balance with nature through sustainable farming and winemaking practices. These include non-invasive organic and biodynamic growing methods, as well as systematic energy and water conservation. The winery is on the path to becoming 100% self sufficient, and making wines without creating a carbon footprint.
The 2016 Vino Nobile di Montepulciano is 100% Prugnolo Gentile, a clone of Sangiovese. This wine has elegantly integrated flavors such as cherry, spice, leather and tobacco. Enjoy!
- Item #: i_303484Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 95James Suckling: 96WINE SPECTATOR 95 POINTS - "As much savory as fruity, this offers a fine balance between cherry, leather, spice and carob aromas and flavors. Rich yet lively, leaving a mouthwatering impression on the long, saline aftertaste."
JAMES SUCKLING 96 POINTS - "Subtle and complete aromas of cherry, flowers, and orange peel. Full body, round and velvety tannins. So pretty and refined. Polished. A gorgeous wine. Drink or hold."
- Item #: i_305896Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 91James Suckling: 93PRACTICING ORGANIC
JAMES SUCKLING 93 POINTS - "Some savory aromas here with warm stones, iron, coal smoke and darker cherry notes. The palate is concentrated and carries sweetly spiced black-cherry and plum flavors in attractively juicy form. Drink or hold."
WINE ADVOCATE 91 POINTS - "The 2015 Barolo Serralunga d'Alba opens to a broad and wide span of dark aromas that include dried blackberry, spice, tobacco and crushed stone. The delivery of those notes is horizontal and far reaching. Give the wine a few extra minutes in the glass, and the wine begins to unpack what I would describe as vertical aromas of balsam herb and licorice that lift gracefully from the bouquet. This is a textbook expression from Serralunga d'Alba. Breathe in that elaborate bouquet with a bowl of chickpea and pasta soup." (ML) (6/2019)