- Item #: i_303722Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 97Wine Spectator: 95WINE SPECTATOR 95 POINTS - "This is packing some vanilla- and Bourbon-scented oak aromas, with a core of cherry, leather, tar, iron and tobacco flavors. It's solidly built, with dusty tannins clinging to the long finish. A powerful example, this should gain finesse as it ages. Best from 2022 through 2040.." 400 cases made
WINE ADVOCATE 97 POINTS - "The stunning 2013 Barolo Bussia Romirasco represents a stylistic blend between the elegance of Monforte d'Alba and the brooding power of Serralunga d'Alba. These are magnesium-rich soils mixed with limestone and clay. Romirasco is also home to some of the estate's oldest vines at 55-years-old on average. This beautiful wine opens to a dark and rich garnet color that comes from the concentrated fruit produced by these old plants. The bouquet is laced with mineral and iodine-like nuances with rust and iron. It comes across as rich and intense and the mouthfeel is slightly softer, but denser overall. The wine ends with long balsam tones of rosemary and dried ginger."
The Conterno family has been making wine since the 1700’s and Aldo Conterno is regarded as one of the greatest producers of Piedmont. As a young man, Aldo worked with his brother, Giovanni before striking out on his own in 1969. He developed a reputation as an innovator with a focus on quality and attention to detail and passed this dynamism on to his three sons who now run the business.
Aldo’s small property on the hill of Bussia in Monforte D’Alba has grown into a marvelous 25 hectare estate. The Aldo Conterno Barolo’s are intense and concentrated examples of perfectly ripened Nebbiolo grapes from superior terroirs, grown at a gentle altitude that allows for optimum finesse. The three top ‘Crus’ on the famed Bussia slope produce the three flagship Barolos of the estate.
- Item #: i_303352Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94+Wine Spectator: 95WINE SPECTATOR 95 POINTS - "An intense perfume of juniper, bay laurel, sage, rose and berries marks this silky red. The structure is there, yet superb balance and refined tannins help this retain elegance through the long finish. Almost ethereal in its presence."
WINE ADVOCATE 94+ POINTS - "The 2013 Brunello di Montalcino is absolutely unique in terms of its aromatic display. To me, the nose is particularly beautiful because I have a preference for balsamic notes of cola, mint or medicinal herb (that may not be to everyone's liking). You get those in spades here. These aromas are often more prominent in cooler vintages like 2013 in the Brunello appellation. In this case, they resemble intense eucalyptus. There is subtle fruit at the back, with wild berry and plum. The mouthfeel here is absolutely silky, fresh and streamlined. It is stitched finely together like lace. I am curious to see how a wine like this ages and whether the aromas hold tight or eventually fall flat. I would suggest a slightly shorter drinking window. But for now, this is my kind of Brunello. Bottoms up!"
- Item #: i_303700Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93Wine Spectator: 93James Suckling: 96Wine Enthusiast: 93 PointsJAMES SUCKLING 96 POINTS - "Fantastic aromas of orange peel and dark berry with plenty of plum and cherry. Sweet tobacco and mushrooms. Full body, juicy and fruity with firm tannins and a fresh finish. Complex and gorgeous. Fine and very long. Drink now."
WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "The 2013 Brunello di Montalcino shows laser focus and a precise delivery of aromas that makes an immediate and satisfying first impression. This is a delicately assembled wine that shows the deft hand of the winemaking team behind the scenes. Bright fruit and cherry is connected, in a careful embroidery, to spice, leather, tar and cured tobacco. There are subtle tones of ash and crushed mineral as well."
WINE ENTHUSIAST 93 POINTS - "Chopped herbs, new leather, underbrush and a whiff of star anise lead the nose. The firmly structured, chewy palate delivers ripe blackberry, juicy Marasca cherry, licorice and a dollop of vanilla set against a backbone of firm, polished tannins. Drink 2021-2028."
WINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS - "An elegant style, offering ripe cherry, plum, leather, almond and subtle chocolate flavors. Harmonious and long, with an aftertaste evoking cherry, iron and tobacco. Fine balance."
- Item #: i_305892Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 92WINE SPECTATOR 92 POINTS - "Woodsy, spicy notes are the highlights in this compact, muscular red. The density belies the sweet cherry, currant and plum fruit that should emerge with a little more time. Show fine balance and length. Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon. Best from 2019 through 2029. 1,660 cases made."
- Item #: i_301306Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 90Vinous Media: 90James Suckling: 9225% Cabernet Franc, 25% Merlot, 16% Sangiovese, 14% Cabernet Sauvignon, 8% Petit Verdot, 7% Alicante and 6% Syrah
Sangiovese, Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon are blended to create a soft, luscious wine that's loaded with bright cherry, rich chocolate and mocha flavors.
- Item #: i_303322Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 94Wine Spectator: 95WINE SPECTATOR 95 POINTS - - "Loads of balsamic aromas and flavors--juniper, rosemary, thyme, olive--along with cherry, sanguine and tobacco notes are the hallmarks of this intense red. Well-integrated and complex, building to a long aftertaste. Best from 2021 through 2035. 3,400 cases made."
WINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS - "Canalicchio di Sopra is high on my shortlist of favorite producers in Montalcino. The 2012 Brunello di Montalcino is a sumptuous wine made according to carefully considered criteria. Every step of the winemaking process represents a selection of sorts, culminating in an expression of extremes. The precision, the focus and the pristine nature of the aromas cannot be exaggerated. It is such a pleasure to taste a wine of this caliber and distinction. Aromas of dark fruit and savory spice find seamless integration. Background tones of balsam herb, cola and licorice add a superior level of complexity. In the mouth, the wine is polished, fine and silky. The mouthfeel is thinner compared to 2011 and 2010. Otherwise, this is a fabulously elegant Brunello."
- Item #: i_305454Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93+Wine Spectator: 93Casanova di Neri has most certainly had its share of accolades and praise with all the estate wines including the Brunello di Montalcino 'White Label', the newest project 'Tenuta Nuova' (literally translated new estate) and the small single vineyard of Cerretalto. Just to name a few, Last years 2012 'White Label' made #4 Top 100 Wine Spectator with 95 Points, the 2010 'Tenuta Nuova' received 100 points in Wine Advocate, and of course not forgetting the first time Giacomo Neri set off fireworks...the 2001 'Tenuta Nuova' making 2006 Wine Spectator Wine of the Year!
With the 2013 Classic Vintage that just arrived, we are excited to share with you another great showing of Casanova di Neri Brunello! And with the press of this vintage just ramping up, we suggest you get enough to put a few away! These wines are made to enjoy now and cellar for 25+ years.
WINE ADVOCATE 93+ POINTS - "It's that time of year: get your Neri on. This blockbuster Montalcino estate has released another fantastic collection of new wines, including the 2013 Brunello di Montalcino. Beautifully executed, the wine oozes forth from the glass with round, supple and velvety fruit. This Brunello Annata is luscious and deep, with millefoglie aromatic layering that peels back slowly and carefully. The mouthfeel is less elaborate compared to the estate's top expressions, but the bouquet does much to push this score into the low nineties. Some 80,000 bottles were produced."
WINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS - "This is focused, with a vivid structure driving the cherry, leather, spice and earth flavors. Dusty tannins follow up, while this remains fresh on the lingering finish. Best from 2020 through 2033."
- Item #: i_305898Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 97Wine Spectator: 96James Suckling: 98Casanova di Neri has most certainly had its share of accolades and praise with all the estate wines including the Brunello di Montalcino 'White Label', the newest project 'Tenuta Nuova' (literally translated new estate) and the small single vineyard of Cerretalto. Just to name a few, Last years 2012 'White Label' made #4 Top 100 Wine Spectator with 95 Points, the 2010 'Tenuta Nuova' received 100 points in Wine Advocate, and of course not forgetting the first time Giacomo Neri set off fireworks...the 2001 'Tenuta Nuova' making 2006 Wine Spectator Wine of the Year!
With the 2013 Classic Vintage that just arrived, we are excited to share with you another great showing of Casanova di Neri Brunello! And with the press of this vintage just ramping up, we suggest you get enough to put a few away! These wines are made to enjoy now and cellar for 25+ years. This anniversary edition will be one of the best wine purchases you make this year.
WINE ADVOCATE 97 POINTS - "Casanova di Neri's 2013 Brunello di Montalcino Tenuta Nuova is celebrating its 20th anniversary (1993-2013), and a special gold-label edition of the wine was made to commemorate this important milestone. I tasted the white label for this review. This is a bold and expressive Brunello that displays tightly knit aromas of Morello cherry, spice, leather and balsam herb that are the building blocks of the most beautiful Brunellos that come to mind. The Casanova di Neri house style implies a modern and sophisticated approach for sure. But the inner spirit and texture of Sangiovese is so fine and polished in its natural state that it hardly matters. The personality of the grape shines through with a loud and confident voice."
WINE SPECTATOR 'HOT WINES' 96 POINTS - "Sweet, ripe strawberry and cherry fruit melds seamlessly with the dense, refined structure of this red. Saline, licorice and spice accents add complexity as this lingers gracefully on the finish. Terrific harmony and expression."
JAMES SUCKLING 98 POINTS - "A vivid and bright red with intense blueberries and raspberries. Floral undertones and tons of citrus, too! Full-bodied, dense and layered. Polished tannins and fantastic fruit. The muscularity of the structure is what gives this wine focus and intensity. So serious for the vintage. Give it time to show its greatness. Drink in 2022."
- Item #: i_305827Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92James Suckling: 92Wine Enthusiast: 95 PointsWINE ENTHUSIAST 95 POINTS; EDITOR'S CHOICE - "Fragrant and loaded with finesse, this radiant, full-bodied red opens with enticing scents of ripe black-skinned fruit, iris, cake spice and a whiff of camphor. On the linear yet delicious palate, elegant tannins and bright acidity support succulent black cherry, plum and licorice before a lingering tobacco finish. Drink 2021–2029." - Kerin O'Keefe
WINE ADVOCATE 92+ POINTS - "Like the other wines I tasted from Ciacci Piccolomini d'Aragona this year, I am surprised by the soft ripeness achieved in the 2014 Brunello di Montalcino. This was a cool and soggy vintage so those dark and sweet fruit flavors are counterintuitive. However, they elevate the wine to a higher intensity threshold and a more profound flavor profile. The wine offers enough crisp acidity and tannic firmness to hold it tightly together at this young stage in its lifespan."
JAMES SUCKLING 92 POINTS - "There’s a handy array of quite ripe red-berry and cherry aromas here that lead to a palate that has attractive red cherries with soft, earthy nuances and fine, chalky tannins. Drink now."
"To keep up our quality standards in years like these, we carefully select the grapes and make only our classic Brunello, but not our Brunello Pianrosso or our Brunello Riserva Santa Caterina d'Oro," says Paolo Bianchini, co-owner of Ciacci Piccolomini d'Aragona. "Our production was down 25-30% in 2014, but as a result of all the hard work, starting in the vineyards right up to bottling, we're more than satisfied with the results."
- Item #: i_301154Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 92WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "This is an excellent vintage in Chianti Classico that shows especially well in the simple, more accessible wines such as this. The 2016 Chianti Classico Berardenga delivers the power and density of its territory. The southern side of the appellation often shows the richest expressions of Sangiovese. This wine opens to sweet aromas of dark fruit, cherry and plum. The wine shows a slightly savory side as well with spice and dried terracotta that recalls the gray gravel soils of the region. Bay leaf, cola and chopped mint appear as subtle background notes."
- Item #: i_305891Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 93WINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS - "A fruit-driven style, this red also displays ample tannins. Cherry, strawberry, floral and leafy tobacco flavors are backed by a vibrant structure, and this winds down with hints of mineral, earth and tobacco. Best from 2021 through 2035. 2,500 cases made."
- Item #: i_305397Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94Wine Spectator: 93WINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS - "The 2013 Brunello di Montalcino walks a very fine line between elegance and finesse. Those may seem like two analogous terms, but this wine teaches you that they are not. The bouquet offers tonic and buoyant tones of wild berry, blueberry, dried herb and licorice. Each is elegant in its own right, but together they form a nuanced and finessed whole. Le Potazzine does very nicely in the hot vintages, but it delivers unexpected surprises (like this wine) in the cooler ones."
WINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS - "Heady flavors of plum, macerated cherry, sweet spices, leather and earth mark this powerful red. The dense tannins are well-matched to the fruit, texture and breadth. Exuberance wins over subtlety here. Best from 2022 through 2036."
- Item #: i_302777Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 94WINE SPECTATOR 94 POINTS - "Silky and refined, featuring pure strawberry, cherry and floral flavors, with elements of leather, iron and leafy underbrush. The firm structure sneaks up on you as this builds to a long, detailed aftertaste. Very seductive. Best from 2020 through 2035. 2,200 cases made."
- Item #: i_301159Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 91WINE SPECTATOR 91 POINTS - "Light, grippy tannins frame this medium- to full-bodied red, which leans toward the traditional style, with a firm structure and notes of cured tobacco and forest floor. Well-knit and silky on the palate, offering ripe crushed cherry and tarry smoke notes. Drink now through 2027. 41,000 cases made."
- Item #: i_301557Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 94Vinous Media: 94James Suckling: 96WINE SPECTATOR 94 POINTS - "Tight and tannic for now, featuring cherry, black currant, leather, iron, juniper and tar flavors. Firmly structured, meaty and balanced on the tannic side, with a lingering finish."
JAMES SUCKLING 96 POINTS - "Aromas of plums, cherries and hints of green olives. White truffles and deep earth, too. Full-bodied, so layered and beautiful with a fabulous texture and ripe tannins. It is so pure and minimalist in the end, showing the effect of traditional, hands-off winemaking. Don’t miss this. Decant before serving. One for the cellar. Drink or hold.?
- Item #: i_302020Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 91WINE SPECTATOR 91 POINTS - "This red has a silky side in the beginning, then turns sinewy and tannic by the finish. Intense and packed with black cherry, blackberry, light toast, spice and tobacco flavors, ending with a mineral kick."
- Item #: i_301026Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 94Organic and Biodynamic Growing Methods
WINE SPECTATOR 94 POINTS - "Aromas of green tomato and tomato leaf segue into plum and cherry flavors in this concentrated red. Leather, iron and sanguine notes chime in as this cruises to a lingering aftertaste. Shows terrific intensity and balance."
There should be a synergy between the earth and all growing things, man included. At Salcheto they try to respect this relationship on a daily basis, as they attempt to maintain a balance with nature through sustainable farming and winemaking practices. These include non-invasive organic and biodynamic growing methods, as well as systematic energy and water conservation. The winery is on the path to becoming 100% self sufficient, and making wines without creating a carbon footprint.
2015 is undoubtedly one of the most impressive vintage of its decade. It was marked by a strong thermal stress in August, which has particularly influenced acidity levels. The result is a wine "eat and drink all in one", fleshy and soft. The 2015 Vino Nobile di Montepulciano is 100% Prugnolo Gentile, a clone of Sangiovese. This wine has elegantly integrated flavors such as cherry, spice, leather and tobacco. Enjoy!
- Item #: i_305977Bottle Size: 1.5LWine Spectator: 95James Suckling: 96WINE SPECTATOR 95 POINTS - "As much savory as fruity, this offers a fine balance between cherry, leather, spice and carob aromas and flavors. Rich yet lively, leaving a mouthwatering impression on the long, saline aftertaste."
JAMES SUCKLING 96 POINTS - "Subtle and complete aromas of cherry, flowers, and orange peel. Full body, round and velvety tannins. So pretty and refined. Polished. A gorgeous wine. Drink or hold."
- Item #: i_303484Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 95James Suckling: 96WINE SPECTATOR 95 POINTS - "As much savory as fruity, this offers a fine balance between cherry, leather, spice and carob aromas and flavors. Rich yet lively, leaving a mouthwatering impression on the long, saline aftertaste."
JAMES SUCKLING 96 POINTS - "Subtle and complete aromas of cherry, flowers, and orange peel. Full body, round and velvety tannins. So pretty and refined. Polished. A gorgeous wine. Drink or hold."
- Item #: i_301257Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93Wine Spectator: 93WINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS - "Sweet wood smoke, plum and cherry flavors pervade this dense red, which mellows with air, finding a nice harmony and lingering on the aftertaste. Drink now through 2026."
WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "The 2013 Chianti Rufina Riserva Bucerchiale is a fantastic interpretation with seamless balance and carefully measured intensity. The wine opens to bright cherry and cassis aromas that are wrapped within a delicate veil of balsam or Mediterranean herb. The mouthfeel is silky and long with a good amount of power to move it smoothly over the palate. Selvapiana shows excellent results in this vintage."
For a long time Selvapiana was a summer residence for the Florentine bishops. It then belonged to a series of rich Florentine merchant families including the Scalandroni. Purchased in 1827 by Michele Giuntini Selvapiana, the estate now covers an area of 240 hectares, of which 45 are devoted to vineyards and 31 to olives. Five generations of the Giuntini family have now lived on the estate.
The rigor and care devoted to producing this wine make Bucerchiale (a 100% Sangiovese made for the first time in 1979) one of the finest wines in the Rufina area. Following malolactic fermentation, it is matured in barriques and medium-sized sessile oak casks. It is aged in wood for 15 months and then blended together in steel tanks prior to bottling.
- Item #: i_301753Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 90Vinous Media: 90WINE SPECTATOR 91 POINTS - "A focused style, with cherry and plum flavors accented by a smoky note. Juicy and balanced, leaving hints of earth and tobacco on the long finish. Drink now through 2033."
Selvapiana is a traditional Tuscan estate located in the Chianti Rufina zone, and is situated east of Florence on 600 acresdevoted to vineyards and olives. This esteemed producer has 181 years and five generations of history in classic Chianti Rufina Winemaking. This wine is aged in large (25-30 hectoliter) French oak casks and is typically composed of 95% Sangiovese, with the remainder filled out by traditional blending partners Canaiolo, Colorino, and Malvasia Nera.